Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default When does the new year rush die down?

I am interested in joining WW when I am nearer my goal (incentive to maintain, financial and other reasons I can't join earlier) but I know it can be very popular in January with all the new year diets. I'm not expecting to be well enough to go till Feburary anyhow, and what I don't want is to just miss out on all the new year special offers, everyone know each other cos they came in January when it was busy and then arrive and there's not really any space for new people and it's all cliquey, but still full - not even sure if there's a limit to each class, tbh. Don't want to find the group I'd like is filled up.

Also, once you go to a meeting can you go to any meetings for your weigh-in, etc. or do you have to join a particular one? I am going to have some bother with being well enough to go on the same day each time but if I'm well enough for a different week it might be nice to go just to stay on track, even if it's a "weigh and go" or an unfamiliar meeting.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

It's not like college where people become BFFs the first couple of weeks and the transfer students are left out.

Some people join with friends, some people just come and stick to themselves. Others probably make friends there. Mine is a small town, so I'm sure some folks know each other.

You can go to any meeting once you join, at the same center, since that's where your card will be.

My meeting was packed today. But I got there early, weighed in and then read until the meeting started. I'm sure it will thin out in a couple of weeks.

I'm not at the meeting to find my new best friend. I'm there to lose weight.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/204/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Just chiming in!

Good Morning -

my leader told us that we can go to any meeting at any location as long as we go once per week. WW week runs from Sunday till Saturday.

When I signed up, they put me in the computer and printed out a bar code that is on my weight record. When I show up to be weighed, they just scan that bar code and my info gets updated.

This only works if you attend a location with computer access. For instance, if you attend at a church, they may not have these capabilities.

I actually asked yesterday as I will be going out of town and my leader said that I can scan in there (another state) and they should have my info. Even if you forget your materials, most locations can pull you up with the computer.
FetchLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

You sound down Rodent. I also do not go to make friends. Sounds like you were in a place before where they knew each other for some reason.

I joined in the At Work program. Got terminated and had to go to a Center.

Well, I liked the Center much better because it was not the room where they give lectures on having a baby... lol

Any way. I come in, Take my coat off, etc. and give her my booklet, stand on scale, she puts the sticker and I go sit down.

i don't turn around and talk. I don't know why but I read the weekly until the meeting starts. Laugh at the jokes and go home.

You are there to get the help you need. If you want to ask questions, it's your time and don't worry about anyone else sitting there looking at you.

We are all there for the same reason.

so, when you can go, you can go to anyone you choose. You only get weighed once for the week though but you know this.

My booklet doesn't have the bar code because it was at an AT Work meeting and they didn't have the nice things they have at the Centers.

So, it still prints out a sticker and I've been a guest for 6 weeks.

agggg.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Hmmm, not sure if WW is going to be for me, then. I know how to lose weight, what I don't know is how to stick to losing weight. I actively want to ignore most of the program, I'm going entirely and wholly to see other people who are doing the same thing. If nobody is going to chat then I can stay home and save my money
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

You can chat after the meeting is over with who ever wants to engage. It's allowed,

I just want to leave and either go home and eat or exercise. It's been one or the other. Lol.

Chat here. We are here always to talk.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #7  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Join one of the online programs that calculate your daily intake.

I have used Shape's virtual trainer, and I just joined My fitness Pal. They are both great motivators. AND FREE

My Fitness Pal seems to have forums as well for support and friendships.

Good luck!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

I've been a member of WW for many years so I've gone to a lot of meetings. Around here the format is come in, weigh in. The receptionist is generally the same from week to week and so you do get to know them.

The leader is usually hanging around the reception area during weigh ins, greeting people.

Then you go into the meeting. There may be 5 or 15 minutes before the meeting depending on when you get there. Some people do chat with one another. Others don't or do it less.

The leader then presents the meeting. There is a meeting topic and she will ask for feedback. What are good ways to plan going out to dinner? What kinds of obstacles are there to tracking, etc. Members volunteer (or not) to give feedback. There is a celebration part of the meeting where she acknowleges people who have lost 5 pounds, or lost 10% or have gotten to goal (the receptionist asks in advance if it is OK to do this -- you aren't required to agree).

Over time, if you regularly go to a meeting you do get to know people. And by what they say in the meeting you get to know them more.

I find that just the being there and the weigh in and being around people with a common goal really helps me to stay focused on my goal.

Meetings do vary. I've had leaders and meetings that were much better than others. It pays to try 3 or 4 leaders before picking one.

Oh, yes, I've gone to meetings at many different locations. If you aren't at your "home" center then I show them my book which shows my membership. I've attended meetings when I've been out of town with no problem.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRodent View Post
Hmmm, not sure if WW is going to be for me, then. I know how to lose weight, what I don't know is how to stick to losing weight. I actively want to ignore most of the program, I'm going entirely and wholly to see other people who are doing the same thing. If nobody is going to chat then I can stay home and save my money
It's more like people share with the whole group than chit chat between themselves. The leader leads, people share what's working or share challenges and you get feedback. It's big group sharing rather than little group cliquishness.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #10  
I CAN DO THIS!!!!!

S/C/G: 233/ticker/133

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Any way. I come in, Take my coat off, etc. and give her my booklet, stand on scale, she puts the sticker and I go sit down.

i don't turn around and talk. I don't know why but I read the weekly until the meeting starts. Laugh at the jokes and go home.
I ready the weekly until my meeting starts too!
ATXchic924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

I've had really good conversations with people that I don't really know while waiting for the meeting to start. You don't HAVE to talk to people unless you want to. You also don't have to actively participate in the meeting discussion unless you want to. I'm a social person. I LIKE to talk to people. There are some days when I just want to socialize... so I just read the Weekly.
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

I think it's like any other group type thing. You get out what you put in. If you want to make friends, actively walk up to a group and try to get involved.

I think, because there are so many that seem to like to just go and keep to themselves, veterans might be hesitant to walk up to you and bug you. Let them know you are open to conversation and friendship.
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote