South Beach Diet - SBD Daily Chat for Wednesday, Jan. 5

BellaLucia
01-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone! I just wanted to say hey since I won't be in the computer area later today.

Lexxiss
01-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Good Morning, Okie:sunny:

I'm wondering if this is the day that you go shadow for your new volunteer job? Oh, and to remind you, the mods would like us to start the daily chats with more consistent names http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/220809-anothe-quick-note-about-daily-thread.html. Just so you know it might have a different name when you get back later. ;)

I'm up at this late hour because I didn't get one thing done yesterday, and apparently my internet service is only working in the quiet hours. I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday...by the time we had made some improvements it was so late. I was so frustrated it seemed my two options were eat everything and anything I could find or go take a nap....slept from 5 to 11. I'm putting coffee on and will see how much I can get done now. I have all kinds of end of year reports which use an internet program. :crossed:

Have a great day everyone! I'm sure I'll be back later to share in the goings on of the "real" Wednesday. :lol:

LADY WINDSONG
01-05-2011, 04:24 AM
We are as beautiful and individualistic as a snowflake.
Each facet is a piece of us.
We have worked hard to make it something that we are proud of.
It doesn't show the trials and tribulations that we have had to go through.
Now, we are adding new branches and we are confident that our end result will be worth all that we have to do to make it even more beautiful.
So every time you see a snowflake remember it represents your beauty, your fortitude and your hard work.

Natasha1534
01-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Good morning, ladies...hope this morning finds you all well. :) I've still been really scarce around here, but I'm going to try to do better. I'm trying to get ready for my first 5K which will be on the 15th. It's a run/walk and I'm planning on walking, but I still want to be ready for it. My roomie is trying to talk me into the Disney Princess 5K run in February but I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it. I haven't started actually running yet as I want to save that for 50 pounds from now instead of killing my knees and ankles. The Princess Marathon has a 16 minute mile requirement and, even though that's pretty high, I'm not sure I could make it. I walk on the treadmill at 3.2 mph (a 16 minute mile equates to 3.75 mph) but I'm just not sure I'm up to it yet. We shall see, I guess.

Lady Windsong - I like your analogy but I had to giggle at the last line...it is an absolute RECORD for us to have actually have had snowfall for 3 years in a row...and even then it only stuck last year, LOL I still like the analogy, though. :)

Ruthxxx
01-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Good luck today, Okie. Is today the day to shadow?

Debbie, how frustrating to have net problems at this time of year. I am struggling away with end of year accounting stuff and am glad to not have that to contend with.

Nice thoughts, Marcie. I do love snow. I have a picture of a snowflake with the caption "A snowflake is winter's butterfly".

Natasha, I really admire your perseverance in heading for the 5K. Please don't run until you are ready - knees are very important.

My knees and I are off to the gym for 7:30. It certainly helps to have Donna going with me. I gave her a month's membership for Christmas and she's very keen. The only problem is that she always wants to go out for coffee afterwards. So far I've managed to have just coffee but she's into two slices of toast with PB and honey which sort of negates the calorie burn. She is diabetic as well as very overweight so I sort of cringe. However, I bite my tongue until asked for advice.

Family dinner tonight with my dear friends, the Cowleys and the Youngs so I have a bit of prep. I also have pet therapy at noon at the Clinic so need to get my To Do list together so I can get organized this morning. The windows of opportunity are kind of small this morning. :lol:

Have a super Wednesday and pop in to chat, even just to :wave:

Heidi58
01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Good morning Chicks!

I hope this doesn't show up twice, I wrote up a post and then accidentally hit some mysterious combination of keys and POOF! it was gone. I was hoping it posted but I don't see it so I'm trying again.

I was certain I'd hit that magical "normal BMI" today because I've been only half a pound away for days now and yesterday the scale "blinked" a few times before settling on 140.5. :lol: But for some reason my weight is UP this morning. *sigh* I know I ate well yesterday and I exercised so I couldn't have really gained a pound and half of fat. Still, it was hard not to be disappointed this morning.

On a happier note, it's a bit warmer this morning. We'll get the kids outdoors for both recesses for sure. They're still getting back into the routine again after vacation and really need that time to run and be loud during the day. My goal is to keep all the kids awake and on task all day. I've got one little guy who fell asleep on the rug both Monday and yesterday afternoon. If the stories he tells are true I think he's staying up too late playing with the new video game system he and his brother got for Christmas. So I'm thinking maybe if I can be as entertaining as Mario and Luigi this afternoon.... ;)

OK, time to hit the shower. Enjoy your Wednesday friends!

litar
01-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Good morning everyone....running a little late but wanted to check in say Hello....I will try and get back for personals later. Happy Wednesday!!!

LADY WINDSONG
01-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Oh a 5K how wonderful for you. Strive to do yor best.

I will say a prayer for your friend, Donna. You are leading by example,

We go to the store and I am so excited. I love to cook and now I am adding in MORE things that I never would be using in the past.

Checking in after the store. :mouse:

CyndiM
01-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Good morning :coffee2:

Okie - Hope it's good stuff keeping you busy

Debbie - I hate internet problems. I hope they get it straightened out. We've gone back and forth with Comcast over the years but our internet has finally been better recently. We also replaced several routers so I'm not sure what the magic combo was.

Lady Windsong - I'll have to remember that lovely vision of snowflakes when they are swirling around me and I'm wishing them away ;)

Natasha - What Ruth said about the running. I see people say that anyone can run but it really isn't true. Check with your doc and listen to your body. I'd love to do that 5 K with you :)

Ruth - Happy gyming to you and your knees :carrot: A family dinner sounds like the perfect way to wrap up the holiday season.

Heidi - My weight has been fluctuating 2.5 lbs a day all week. I don't know how that's even possible but apparently it is! Have fun outside. I checked our forecast too. Thanks for the heads up :)

I'm getting back on plan but still not perfectly there. Each day is a little better and today won't be an exception! It's frightening how easy it is to completely lose those healthy eating and exercising habits and how much work it takes to get them back. I'm having a very disturbing feeling that I've written this before :o

Happy Hump Day friends. I hope we are all back tonight counting down to the weekend after an easy day.

ETA :wave: Lisa

Mmckellen
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Hey all,
Good morning to everyone. I'm getting back in the groove and not so worried about the week, it's the weekend that's presenting the challenge of staying on Phase 1. Friday afternoon around 4pm, the wine will start calling me...we've got a quiet weekend planned but there is that party on Sunday I need to get through. Wish me luck, and send me strength! Hope everyone is having a great week. I'm off to post my menu for today, it really keeps me on track.

LADY WINDSONG
01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Cyndi, you are trying and have the desire. The tortoise won the race.

Heidi, numbers are numbers....you are more important than worrying about a temporary gain.

Mmckellen pack some OP snacks and write a weekend goal and carry it with you. You want to do this so remind yourself that you can. :mouse:

cottagebythesea
01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Happy HumpDay, everyone!

I hit the floor running this morning. I had to get some last minute recycling out to the curb before the trash men came and got the laundry started before I jumped in the shower. I still have some bills to pay and want to make a pot of soup before I head out the door, but it will all get done in it's own time. That's what happens when I luxuriate in bed an extra 1/2 hour. ;)

Okie ~ I hope all goes well today. Good luck!

Debbie ~ There's nothing more frustrating than trying to solve internet problems, especially over the phone. I hope you get it all straightened out soon!

Marcie ~ That's a lovely anology. I enjoy snow, as long as I'm safely home and don't have to drive in it. We're expecting snow on Friday, and I'm looking forward to it since I don't work on Fridays. :p Enjoy your grocery shopping today, and make good choices!

Ruth ~ I can picture your house all snug and cozy with the snow outside. Maybe you can make a few comments to Donna that now that you're excercising, it's time to start eating healthy again, too. Think she'd get the hint? Enjoy your dinner party tonight, I know you'll have a good time with your good friends.

Heidi ~ The first few days back to school must be really trying on all you teachers. I know the girls weren't ready to go back on Monday, and, in fact, Maggie had a lowgrade fever and did stay home. And right before noon, the school nurse called to say she had Audrey in her office. Strange, but both girls miraculously felt better by lunchtime. ;) They got their due, though, with extra makeup homework yesterday. :D I hope your class is back into their regular routine by today! Congratulations for being so close to reaching your normal BMI! I know you'll be there today or tomorrow!

Cyndi ~ I hope you have a great OP day today. I hear you with how easy it is to fall off the wagon, and such a struggle to get back on it again. Especially with being on the road a lot. We can do it, though, one step at a time, and each day will get a little easier.

Matilda ~ I'm wishing you lots of strength and willpower for your weekend! Try making up a menu for exactly what you will eat at the party, and keep it with you as a reminder. And put a note on it about how bad you will feel if you cheat. I think seeing a plan in writing really helps to keep you on track. Good luck!

annieoh
01-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Running late, just checking in. :) Wish I had time to say more than "wow, you are all so amazing!"

<3

WaistingTime
01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Good morning!

Thanks for all the very kind words about my darn hernia :hug: I am trying to stop obsessing over constantly thinking I feel it, now that I officially have been diagnosed. Turns out Dr. Internet and I were right this time.

FYI - If you are in the US (sorry) and want a new bathroom or kitchen scale, I am giving one of either away on my blog.

Other than that, not much happening here. Gotta run so I don't forget to wake the teen.

TwynnB
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Wow, great posts this am!

I have a child with the stomach flu near me (hopefully only a food bug, I don't want it!!), so only a minute again.

The scale was kind to me, even though I wussed out of making supper and we went to ponderosa. I did great though...one piece of baked chicken w/o skin, and then slaw, salad, and green beans (which were BEYOND bland!!). The scale has somehow dropped 4 lbs since Monday, but monday was beyond high for me. Huh. I'll take it though!

Have a great day....My DH and I get to trade off sicko watch!

shelflife
01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Good morning everyone!

Wishing today was also a half day at work, but I know it won't be :(

I was just looking through my meal plan (in the on plan thread) and I can't believe I've reached day 5 and stayed on plan! This is the longest (by far) that I haven't cheated on a diet! My BF commented yesterday on the amount of trash and dishes we're generating by cooking and eating at home every day. We were definitely eating out way too much before this!

After work I'll have to plan out the rest of my meals for days 6, 7, and 8 and go on a little grocery shopping trip!

Have a great day everyone!

Schmoodle
01-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Good morning chickies. I vowed to post every day, so here I am. Just a quick hello for me today though as I've got an early meeting. Happy Hump Day all! 9 days to vacation!

tanner'smom
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Good Morning,

It's back to work for me today. I made my lesson plans before break and I hope they are good. I have packed a good phase 1 day to keep me on track and out of the goodies I suspect will show up at school.

I made black bean soup and it was yummy last night for dinner. I didn't end up following the SBD recipe. It was to many steps and involved puree which I was not in the mood for.

Have a great day!!

Lexxiss
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Good Morning:sunny: Again!!

I worked until 4:30 am and got lots done. Internet was fine...it's later in the day that I have problems. I crawled in bed for an hour or so and have been getting the pups out, fed and resettled. I'm leaving in 10 minutes to go scan more pictures...grocery....home...recycle...then possibly to Denver for some needed business supplies at Costco. Thank goodness for SBD energy!

I've read everyone's posts but need to keep on my schedule this AM.

:hug: Karen, while you deal with your upcoming surgery. Is it a day surgery or do you stay in?? Perhaps you'll have plenty of time to get back in shape before the upcoming biking season.

Take care everyone!

sophie
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Good Morning,

Hello everyone. Although I am exercising, I feel that I am in sort of a quiet mode right now. There is not much happening except that my daughter finally upgraded her computer and we can use our skype and it was just wonderful seeing my little grandson and he was showing up all the toys he got for Christmas. He asked his mom if we were in the computer. I just love it.
Karen - my DH had hernia surgery a couple of years ago and you could hardly see the incision. His recovery was so quick except for the caution of lifting heavy stuff for a few weeks
Have a good one everyone
take care
Sophie

weezle
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey everyone! Just popping in to say hi! Busybusybusybusy. This is what I get for taking a week off! :lol:

I hope everyone has a great day! OH! Squeezed in Biggest Loser workout last night! :D Owiee....

Have a good one!

Lisa

AmyKitKat
01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Morning All!

Day 3 for me and on track...though I'm just completely worn out; I haven't been able to fall asleep for some reason-which is REALLY unusual for me. I'm the kind of girl who is out before my head hits the pillow. Since I started SBD I just can't do it. I'm thinking that my metabolism is quite revved up (given how hungry I've been) and all will settle down once this feels "normal" and the refined sugars/carbs are out of my system completely.

Mmckellen: I'll be right there with you this weekend; I'm fine during the work week as I'm stuck at a desk with only the food I've brought. The weekend is a killer for me! I was thinking about it this morning and the problem for me is that even when my body doesn't crave sugar, my mind does. I've come to associate sweets and alcohol so much with being home and happy. GRRRR!

Heidi58: I HATE when that happens - I don't know how it usually works for you, but for me, when the scale does that, I usually see some nice progress within a few days. Like, my body is holding on to the weight and then I have a sudden big drop. Keep your chin up - there is NO WAY you put on 1.5 pds.

Natasha1534: Good luck with the 5K!!! I ran my first one this past October after deciding to take up running this past Spring. It's so much fun - you'll have a blast! I totally hear you about those knees; I had loads of injuries even though I followed all the "rules" about learning how to run.

A good morning to everyone else!! Onwards and upwards :dizzy:

WaistingTime
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
:hug: Karen, while you deal with your upcoming surgery. Is it a day surgery or do you stay in?? Perhaps you'll have plenty of time to get back in shape before the upcoming biking season.

He says it will take all of 10 minutes for the surgery part itself! Outpatient. I will so be back pedaling away when the weather warms up! Not sure when I'll try the P90X I got for Christmas though:(

Pearlrose
01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Wow! lots of posts already :)

Karen glad to hear that the surgery part will not take long, I will have you in my prayers.

Quick flyby for me lots to do at work.

Have a great day everyone

buskyandme
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone! I started South Beach on Monday and I am determined to stay on it! I did South Beach three years ago with amazing results, time to jump on that bandwagon again.

Mmckellen ~ My secret tip to making it through the weekend (I am also a wine drinker) is to make my weigh-in on Monday. I only weigh-in on Mondays and it is a great motivator to help me get through the weekend!

Mmckellen
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Karen, so sorry about your hernia. You will indeed have to take it easy for a while after.

buskyandme
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone!

Day three of South Beach. I did South Beach three years ago with great success and have jumped on the bandwagon again! I decided to join this group because I need some accountability and I find it helps to have others in my situation to discuss things with. And where do you get the cool weight loss bars?

buskyandme
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
And I feel your pain Mmckellen, I too love a glass of wine! I have found that doing my only weigh-in on Monday helps me get through the weekend!

uscarchie
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Good Morning!

I'm back to the beach today. I'm on Day 5 of P1, hoping to get back on track again. Last fall was a stressful mess and my body suffered for it!

I see a lot of familiar faces and it's good to get back to this. I know from past experience that keeping up with you guys is a sure way for success!

I'm also keeping a log of my food and exercise on www.loseit.com. Nice iphone app.

I'm gonna get to my goal weight this time! For sure!

BellaLucia
01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I decided not to do the volunteering job until I know whether I have a paying job or not.

shelflife
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm going a little crazy feeling hungry right now! I worked through the afternoon and missed my snack. Had a bowl of soup as soon as I got home, realizing on the drive that I couldn't stop thinking about food. Now, 30 minutes post-soup, I'm not physically hungry, but my mind won't stop!

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. :stress:

weezle
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm going a little crazy feeling hungry right now! I worked through the afternoon and missed my snack. Had a bowl of soup as soon as I got home, realizing on the drive that I couldn't stop thinking about food. Now, 30 minutes post-soup, I'm not physically hungry, but my mind won't stop!

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. :stress:

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!! Missing a snack can break you, truly. It seems so silly but that's how it goes sometimes. Drink some water or tea or Crystal Light. Chew some gum. And breathe. :D You can do it!!

Is all you're having for dinner that bowl of soup? I looked in the On-Plan Thread and didn't see a posting of your meals/snacks for today. Maybe you need more protein? More veggies? A half-cup of beans?

ETA: I saw that you posted your meals for each day all together, first one to post! Sigh. Did you have the Mexicanish Chicken or salmon? Also, not a whole lot in the way of veggies going on. Looks like V8 and whatever was in your casserole. Don't forget that you need 4-6 servings (that's 2-3 cups) per day. Even if you're not hungry, your body can still go a little haywire if you don't get all the nutrition you need.

TallandThin
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Afternoon friends :wave:. Somehow this day has gotten away from me again so I'm even later than normal.

Debbie, sorry about your internet problems. That can be so darn frustrating. Do you have high speed or dial-up? We live out in the country and just have dial-up because high speed is so darn expensive out here. But I'm getting close to just going for it.

Nat, I agree with you about waiting a bit longer. Don't want to do major knee damage. Those other 5k's will be there when you are ready.

Mmc - Lots of :dust: coming your way.

TwynnB - You go girl! 4 lbs is wonderful, fantastic, great!

Amy, Since starting SBD I don't sleep nearly as much as I used to either.

:welcome: back uscarchie and any others that I haven't met yet. It's good to see so many new folks working the beach.

Shelflife hope you are still hanging in there! It will pass!

Got my walk in first thing this morning and once again the sun is shining and life is good although I have a band-aid on my right thumb which makes typing a bit of a challenge :). Today I will be out and about as Mr. Big needs his nails cut and he doesn't like the process one little bit. He goes into what Frenchie owners call "the red zone" so I am more than willing to pay someone else to do it. I also need a few groceries and have to stop by the post office to mail some books. Thank goodness the holidays are over so it won't be so crowded. Take care of yourselves and I'll "see" you later.

shelflife
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the support ladies!

My bowl of soup wasn't my dinner. I had it in the fridge (it's really a veggie soup) so I used it to hold me over. Wound up having salmon (small piece, 90 cals) for dinner, and made the mock macaroni recipe from this site because I knew I was craving comfort food badly. After that I had a slice of fat-free ham leftover from yesterday.

I ate a fair bit, but didn't eat any grains, which was what I wanted. I feel like I may have actually won this one!

Lexxiss
01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Wow! I can't believe I got it all done! I admit...I walked in place while I watched an episode of Law and Order.

I know I can't get back to everyone today, but I wanted to say a special hello the Phase 1 chicks who have been brave enough to jump in on the daily. I tell ya, this thread has been my lifesaver. I have posted everyday since I started this WOL and it has kept me from fizzling out....when I have an off day, I'm here the next morning ready to go.'

LadyWindsong, thanks for the nice message this morning. I read it soon after you posted, but was in my whirlwind.

shelflife, great that it's been working cooking at home even if there are more dishes! I hope you made it through your hungry time.(I just read that you did!) Missing snacks can really mess with you on P1.

tanner's mom, planning your food to take to school is such a good strategy.

AmyKitKat, has anyone mentioned that dairy and beans help with the run down feeling as you detox?? It does help.

buskyandme, thanks for the weekend tip! I don't drink but I never weigh after eating anything with high sodium.lol

uscarchie, welcome back! Stick with us and we'll help you get through stress with minimal damage!

Good evening, all! It's dinnertime here in the Rocky Mountains!

sarahsk
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Hello chicks! I hope everyone had a wonderful day.

Stayed on plan today--which was HARD since the students had a pizza party today and I love, love, love pizza. But I said no and had my turkey burger patty and salad instead.

Quick question--about midday yesterday I suddenly started having some stomach pain. It wasn't to horrible until right before I went to bed, then I was in PAIN. Has anyone else experienced stomach pains when you started phase 1? I had the same thing happen when I did SBD before. (and this may be TMI but everything is regular....)

shelflife
01-06-2011, 12:30 AM
sarah -- just wanted to quickly pop in and say that YES. My first and second night on SBD I got stomach pain! I'm not sure what it was from but I haven't had it since!