Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Default How old are your clothes?

My uncle has a suit that's about 30 years old. He calls it his "interview suit" because he only wears it to interviews, so it doesn't get much use.

Some of my shirts are over a decade old and I still wear them to work. Especially ones that are solid colors. Can you really tell a simple Arrow or Van Huesen shirt from one a decade ago?

I still own a couple of T-shirts that I won playing video games at an arcade in the 1980s when I was a teenager. If I lose enough weight to fit into those, I've REALLY found the wayback machine!

Last edited by darway; 01-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

When I lost my weight, I fit into an old rugby shirt from forty years ago. It still felt soooooo comfortable. I was so happy. I had loved that shirt; had wore it all weekend forever. Much cavorting we did together that shirt and I.

Alas, it had been washed into near oblivion. It is misshapen, faded, and the elastic cuffs don't elastic much. I now wear it briefly for Auld Lang Syne. If clothes were about being rational, I'd replace it.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I saw this and HAD to comment. I'm a woman, but I just pulled out an "interview/business" suit out the back of my closet which still had the tags on it and was well over 10 years old. All my NYC business wear is at least 10 yrs old, but it sure feels nice to fit back into it again...and my Jones NY attire is still rockin right on into the millenium! LOL

Ok...thanks for listening...(hurries back into kitchen and scrambles for apron!)

*EDIT* - Sorry, just couldn't resist...I feel like I just walked into the men's bathroom or something..haha!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I've gotten rid of just about all of my old clothes. I've given a bunch to my brother and a lot was so old that I ended up tossing away. I do have several T-shirts that I've kept for sentimental reasons but I don't really wear .

BTW, joyfulloser, stop by anytime!

I've spent ALOT of money on clothes as I've gone down in sizes. Hundreds of dollars over the years as I've moved down from a 5x shirt to a small and from a 58inch pant size to a 30!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

I have gotta stop hitting the "show new posts" button cos it just ends me up in all sorts of interesting threads where I'd love to get involved but feel like I need to sneak back out again cos I'm not 300lbs/IP/WW/vegetarian/a man.

Since you've already had one lady in I'll sneak in and say for me it's not so much how old clothes are but how much wear I expect out of them. I'll wear/wash/wear/wash, I'm not at all interested in clothes, and I do cycle the same 2 pairs of pants at all times, been wearing these ones in laundry rotation for 18 months. Sometimes I keep my PJs on to wash my favourite pants so I can put them back on. If stuff gets too big I generally sew it smaller, if it falls apart I put it through the machine and sew it back together. Anything which doesn't last being worn once a week or more for over 3 years is, in my mind, rubbish.

I remember running into an old school friend 6 years later and only later reflecting that I was actually wearing the same outfit as the last time I'd seen her! Since I expect to really, really wear my clothes they don't tend to get that old, something 10 years old in my wardrobe would either end up at goodwill cos I don't wear it or it would be a collection of holes held together by a small patch of fabric.

The Walmart group here (Asda) has a quality guarantee on their clothes that they will still be just as good as new after 60 days. Sixty DAYS???!! Try 60 months. Can't believe they'd boast about clothes that do not fall apart within 2 months.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Ok, jumping into the men's thread too (sorry guys.)

My favorite NEW old item is a hoodie women's crew team sweatshirt from college...

I graduated in 1983. It doesn't look that worn because I grew out of it shortly after quitting the grueling regimen of crew and it didn't start fitting again until recently.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

wow glad you got the men's group going now it need to be advertised.
Hmmmmmmm Guys you should definitely put a link on your signature line.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/330/250ish

Height: 6'

I've got a bunch of new clothes I never wore...grew out of them before i got the tags off. I look forward to wearing them. And I've got a set of Lee overalls from about 1975 I'm looking forward to wearing.
radar2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #9  

I have clothes that are 20 years old stored away in boxes.
As I lose weight I am going to wear these clothes.
I don't care if they are out of style.

I just want to get slim so I can finally wear all the ones I grew out of once again.
Then I will go out and buy new ones too.
I don't care what anybody thinks. I just want to fit in all my vintage ones again.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #10  

Have to admit, I like that attitude Just tell people you're into a retro look.

In the 1980s my mother was shopping at Goodwill and bringing me cordorouy to wear. My schoolmates snickered but I shrugged it off. I couldn't believe seeing that stuff "come back" in the 1990s.

Last edited by darway; 01-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #11  

I'm glad to see that there are men who are actually trying to control/maintain their weight! Thanks WW for having a forum.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #12  

I fit into the jeans I wore in high school/junior high school again. My Grandma never gave them away like I had intended them to be because I doubted I would ever fit into them again. Heh. Was a good day.
Ultreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by darway View Post

I still own a couple of T-shirts that I won playing video games at an arcade in the 1980s when I was a teenager. If I lose enough weight to fit into those, I've REALLY found the wayback machine!

Um... I am super impressed.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #14  

I was given a bathrobe for my birthday in 1990 that didn't fit me. A BATHROBE! I have kept it for sentimental reasons all this time. It still doesn't wrap around me like it should. Someday, I hope to wear it. That bathrobe is 22 years old now. I can't believe I just wrote this...
LeonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #15  

Well you CAN have the opposite exerience.

There is a dose of pride that comes from achieving anything difficult. I'd say picture yourself wearing that robe, looking in the mirror and and saying "I *DID* THIS". That's a pretty good long term goal.

I have a drawer full of old stuff that I wear for crawling under my car or working in the yard. This morning I dug in there for something to wear under my coat as I go for my weekend walk.

One shirt from the late 1990s was in there that's still half decent. There pictures of me in this shirt, taken at a photography studio which I mailed to relatives back then. I can remember the poses clearly, and that I chose the less-paunchy shots from among them. Well, I put the shirt on and realized I may look slightly smaller than I did even then.

Going back in time is a rewarding feeling.

Last edited by darway; 01-28-2012 at 08:15 AM.