Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default What is your workout motivation?

I didn't get much sleep last night and I am crashing this afternoon at work. I can already tell it is going to be one of those totally unproductive nights. What do you guys use as motivation to workout on those days where you really just don't feel like it? I used to be able to just tell myself I will feel better when I am done working out and that was enough but today I am guess I am feeling stubborn and it just got me wondering how you all handle days like that.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #2  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Most of the time I just do it. A few years ago I was very strict with myself and I did at minimum 100 sit-ups every day, regardless of me wanting to do it or not. Thinking back on it I almost felt bionic. I didn't even think twice about it I would literally just do it. Sometimes it would be the first thing I did in the morning... well besides peeing. :P Gives you great energy for the day though. ^_^ Try not to even think about the workout ahead and just do it. Before you know it you will be done. After awhile of that it will be almost instant to just do. O_O I don't know how your body works as well as I know mine. hehe. But I've always been fond of a daily routine. Almost as bad as getting up at 4am every morning, it just kinda sticks. How are you handling the cold weather?

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/175/150

I keep my gym time to 1 hour per day. That way I know when I get there I only have an hour so make the most of it. It's really a mental game that seems to work for me. It used to be that I would dread going to the gym because it would take up so much of my day, I don't have that problem anymore. Try it! It may work for you too.

Good Luck

Rachael
Rachaelfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I bribe myself.

Its how I get myself to work out early in the morning. I think well, if this is over at 6 am then I can do "insert fun thing" after work! It usually works.

After work is harder, but sometimes if I download new work out music, that helps, because then I feel like I've wasted an iTunes download if I don't go RIGHT NOW. I'm a big dork, but it works

Of course, when things are really bad I usually jump on here and say SOMEONE TELL ME TO WORK OUT and that solves it
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #5  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

I do exercise mostly because they actually make me feel better. And I think while exercising so usually I get some thinking done along the way, and it makes me looking forward to it.

Well, if my log is full of exercises it's pretty safe to guess that something is bothering me.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #6  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I never wait for motivation, because as we all know, that comes and goes. I made a conscious decision that exercise was a planned event, like brushing my teeth, taking a shower, or going to work. I would do it every day unless I was dead . No excuses. I don't even allow myself to think "oh I'm not in the mood today". I just do it.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #7  

Thanks Ladies. Feeling better now. I got off work early which I think gave me a happy boost. It is sunny for the first time in awhile and that was happy boost #2. I am about to change and go for a run. You are all totally right, I just have to get back into that mindset of just do it! I am having a hard time getting back into my schedule after the move.

Initiative- I thought I was going to freeze my face off on my way into work this morning. I don't even want to know how cold it was but it felt like I was back in Michigan! BURRRRR. Another reason I want to get out and run right now before the sun goes down. I have my earmuffs and all but still!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8  
Effort = Success

I can't stand the cold either. It's more painful to exercise when it's cold like that. "Bone Chilling" :P I always end up getting numb and itchy and my muscles tense... That is the most horrible thing to happen while working out is for any muscle in your body to tense. >_< So far we haven't had snow either though. I want it to either snow or warm up again. We've been sitting in cold mists for too long.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I have two things that help me.

For one, I love back country snowmobiling. And it is hard on the body, hard on the muscles, hard on the joints. Heck, even starting the snowmobile can be tough. Since I go "sledding" nearly every weekend in the winter, I have incentive to try and be in shape. Particularly for those times I get stuck, because digging a snowmobile out of deep snow is a lot of work.

The second thing that helps me probably sounds odd to some people, but works for me. If I know I'm going to have trouble with my personal willpower to get to the gym (or to avoid a certain food, or whatever) I will make a promise to God. I know for sure, if I promised God that morning I'd go to the gym that night after work, I will.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #10  

Where about are you? My back muscles are the first thing to start cramping in the cold. So painful.

OK I am off! Be back in a flash, well a 30 minute flash. LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #11  
Effort = Success

I live in the Northwest.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

For me, I lose weight probably twice as fast exercising and dieting than I do just dieting. I tell myself "if you slack off on exercise, it's going to take you twice as long to get where you want". That usually gets me off my butt pretty quick!!
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #13  

That felt great!! I haven't been running since Nov. and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. I think my problem is that I have been out of a routine long enough that I have forgotten how good I feel afterward.

mdchick88- I love it! thanks for that.

EagleRiverDee- I used to live with the snow and totally know what you mean about how much of a workout it can be... even just walking through snow! lol

Initiative- I am lucky enough to live in an area where is snows like every 10 years and even then it's just a dusting. It can get pretty cold in the winters but nothing like what I grew up in so I guess I can't complain.

Last edited by KayNicole; 01-04-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #14  

mdchick88!! Congrats on onderland today!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #15  
Effort = Success

Right now I'm in the weather I grew up in and it's still too cold! :P I've never been good at keeping warm.