Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Questions about hummus

View Full Version : Questions about hummus

sweetnlow28
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I recently discovered that I like hummus, specifically the red pepper kind. I want to try making my own, but in the meantime I want to know how long I can keep the store bought kind fresh in the fridge. I don't think I will eat the whole container in a week, can I keep it longer that that once its opened? Can you give me some ideas of what hummus is good with? I spread it on my dry toast crisps but I am at a loss what else to use with with.

Thanks for the help ;)

nelie
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I use hummus for a variety of things including as a dip for veggies and as a spread on sandwiches. It does keep for about a week but you can also freeze some as well if you don't think you'll eat a container in a week.

tommy
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I like it in place of refried beans in a soft taco

lazylioness
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
you are better than me!

Seriously, a container gets opened in my house and it is gone in a day or two! LOL. Of course that is with a few of us eating it for snacks.

JenMusic
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I've kept open containers for up to 2 weeks with no problem. I went out of town once and forgot to throw an open tu out, and when I came home it as moldy - but I think that one had been open for closer to a month at that point. :)

I LOVE using hummus as a spread in sandwiches and wraps. I get various flavored hummuses from Trader Joe's at 50 calories per serving, and they are delicious. Because I eat a sandwich for lunch almost every workday, they get used up before they go bad.

joyfulloser
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
mmmmmmmm....I must try this Hummus! Everyone loves it so much, it seems!:p

maryblu
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Use it as a delicious "filler" for egg white omelets. You can add a bit of salsa, and a tiny bit of cheese..yum!

lazylioness
01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
It is just a delish treat for anything.

My current favorite, and have to be careful because it can be salty...is hummus (of any variety) on Wasa Thin & Crispy crackers

Chrztina
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
There is a hummus at Trader Joes that has cilantro and jalepenos in it. It is the best thing ever. 80 Calories for two tablespoons. It doesn't last long at my house either!

lazylioness
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM
There is also an avocado one that is to die for...

mmmm hummus

joyfulloser
01-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I WANT HUMMUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!:mad: :p

Hyacinth
01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I often make my own, and it is so easy! You just need chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and a blender/food processor. Of course you can add to it any variety of spices, garlic, etc.

I use it as a dip for pita breads and vegetables, but my son eats his with blue corn tortilla chips. I use it as a sandwich spread, and I've even stirred some TJ's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus into mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.

Chrztina
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
What is tahini?

Nola Celeste
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Tahini is basically sesame seed paste. Sometimes it's more paste-like, other times it's kind of fluid; it depends a lot on how much oil is in there. It's essential both in hummus and in another favorite dip of mine, baba ghanouj (or ghanoush or ganush or...yeah, you get the picture :) ).

You should be able to find it in the international foods aisle of a larger supermarket; if not, try Whole Foods or a middle eastern market, either of which is bound to have it in stock.

lazylioness
01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Tahini is sometimes found with the Peanut Butter, but not usually in a "regular" grocery store. Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Henry's should all have it.

shannonmb
01-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I do love hummus! OP, we use it up way before it goes bad, but I have seen a few people at work lately with individually packaged serving sizes of that brand with the red lid I can't think of right now. I'm sure they're more expensive, but cheaper than throwing any away -- and they're so cute! :D

suenos096
01-08-2011, 11:31 PM
The brand for the little individual servings is Sabra :)

I LOVE the red pepper hummus too. The whole grain chips from Target go wonderfully with it. Fortunately I have learned what portions are and eat enough protein that I can actually have chips with hummus :)

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Ohh, individual Sabra servings? I must find those--that way I can try out all their other flavors. :)

Sabra is great stuff.

suenos096
01-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Nola, I don't know if you have a membership to like a BJ's or Costco type of place, but that's where I have seen them. :) Good luck!

kittycat40
01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Nelie, good to know you can freeze! thx :)

LeslieWendy
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I get the Trader Joe's 3 flavor one and love it, we get a couple at a time and freeze them. I like with jicama and carrots. It is also good on a sweet potato.

Patrizia
01-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I usually make my own hummus, as dried chick peas are so cheap (and I'm a broke college student...)! I love adding Sriracha (it's an Asian hot chili sauce... it's in a big red bottle with a rooster on it) to the hummus before using it on anything. I generally do it on sandwiches or wraps, or for a snack with baby carrots, bell pepper slices, or baked pieces of crispy pita!

Also I never knew you could freeze it! That's a great suggestion!