Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/205.2/199

Height: 5'1

Default Having a tough time!!

First let me say, I have lost 12 pounds over the past 5 weeks on Atkins. I understand by reading Dr. Atkins book that this should be an "easy" way of living... but for me, it just isn't!! It is though, the only way I will lose weight. So I'm in a tough situation. I know the cravings are supposed to diminish. Mine are not. I have been on Atkins for 5 weeks. Shouldn't they be gone by now? All I think about is REAL ice cream. Not the ice cream recipes I get from the GENAW website. I mean real sugary, chocolatey ice cream. I went the entire Christmas Holiday without having one single treat. I didn't cheat once. I lost weight Christmas week. And I still cried. I wanted a slice of pecan pie so badly. I wanted stuffing. Sweet potato casserole. At work there were so many cookies. M&M cookies. I almost feel like I just want to be fat so I can eat good things. I don't find comfort in Atkins foods. I don't find comfort in omelets or bacon or steak. But it's the only "diet" that works for me so I have stuck to it.
When I'm at the grocery store and it's absolutely necessary, I get a single Atkins bar. The reason I say necessary is because if I don't, I *will* get a Snickers. So it is the better choice. I'm not having difficulty with food choices. I'm losing weight fine. I'm just having difficulty with my BRAIN. I am worried I will fail because these feelings are so overpowering. I something terrible yesterday. I took 3 M&M's and chewed them to get the taste and then spit them out. That is no acceptable and will only lead to terrible things.
When does it get easier? I make my grocery list around genaw.com's recipes so my food choices are a variety. I have a lot of support-it's just my husband, 3 month old daughter, and myself in the house... and my husband is also doing Atkins. So I have no sugar temptation at home. But it is all I think about.
Any advice? I don't want to fail.
NBaxter2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Are you still on Induction, or have you moved up into OWL? Since you say you are still losing fine and you are having a tough time feeling restricted, you might consider moving into OWL so that you can start allowing new foods back into your diet. That might help. But again, I don't know if you're still in Induction.

The only other thing is to make sure there are NO hidden sugars in the foods you are eating right now. The plan is supposed to break our physical desire for sugar and carbs.... which I could see being derailed if you are inadvertently eating too many sugars to break the cycle.

Then again, it could be psychological, which I can understand. Feeling like you can't have all these things that other people feast on can really feel crummy sometimes. That's when you have to remind yourself of your bigger goals. Would you really be happy overweight and unhealthy? What would that mean for your daughter growing up with you? Would you be able to do the kinds of things you want to do every day? Are you experiencing any weight-related health problems you would like to get rid of? Do you feel any different on Atkins, like having more energy? These are good things to focus on..... then maybe close your eyes, take a bite of your Atkins-friendly crustless cheesecake, and convince yourself you are just as happy eating that as any other holiday food out there! Or at least fake it til you make it

It's a struggle.... good luck.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #3  
Just starting again

S/C/G: 276/256/180 ish?

Height: 5'7

I have been having a tough time too not with cravings but with being always hungry, and not loosing with out gaining it back. To avoid cravings try to find sugar free treats like the bars and shakes, sugar free jello. Also give yourself lots of mimi goals they help you remember you are making fwd progress. Also be careful of caffiene the book said something about it causing cravings in some people thats why it advises against it. Hold on its hard for everyone but you will be happy healthy...
DandyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDiva View Post
try to find sugar free treats like the bars and shakes, sugar free jello.
Despite what the label says, Atkins bars should be avoided especially on Induction. They contain ingredients such as soy, milk & peanuts, none of which are on the acceptable foods list. This will give you a better understanding: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Aspartame is another no-no on Atkins. Most store bought sugar-free jello contains aspartame. You can however, make your own using Splenda (Atkins approved).

Hope this helps
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Nbaxter-- You have just been through the toughest time of the year. There are so many sweet treats staring us in the face. It's part of the culture. And it's a sentimental time associated with food memories. If you can make it through the holidays, you are made of tough stuff!

I don't know how long it will take for the cravings to go away in your case. I am glad that you are getting support from your family. Are there any other things you can do to eliminate exposure to sweets? If you watch TV, maybe leave the room during commercials. When you go shopping, stay away from the areas of the store that carry tempting products?

There is also a psychological side to cravings. You may be associating them with feel-good rewards or fun outings. I'd strongly recommend you try planning some non-food rewards (in fact you are seriously overdue!). You should splurge on whatever it is that you would like, and plan some non-food outings too.

Good luck!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #6  

What is happening is normal on any type of diet. Resentments, anger and frustrations come when we feel deprived and hungry.

There is no reason to be hungry on Atkins or any low carb diet. Increase your fats until you feel satisfied. Add extra butter, mayo or oils to your food. Eat more meat with a high fat content. Do not be afraid of fats! This will take care of hunger and it will adjust in time.

I have never found cravings to be reduced by eating anything sweet. It seems to magnify the cravings to the hilt for me. During the holidays or weekends when you really want to have a dessert, learn to make the fabulous low carb desserts. I made the Ultimate Low Carb cheesecake for Christmas and it was a huge hit. When I feel like a dessert, I simply whip heavy cream and add vanilla, some chopped nuts and I am in heaven. Adding a bit of dark cocoa powder is a wonderful touch. I am careful though to keep it to those special moments, because I know that having it all the time keeps the taste for sweets alive and thriving.

I think the best part of your post is that you recognize the process and are voicing the discomfort of change. That is so important to do. See it, feel it and realize that time will smooth out the rough edges. Seek answers, experiment and you will be able to work low carb into a lifestyle well beyond weight loss.

Hugs.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Treat yourself...

I vote for non-food rewards, too! Can you book a manicure, a pedicure, a spa day? New lipstick, great shoes on sale? Something! And can you get out of the house and take yourself for a walk? If it's too cold and nasty, is there a mall where you can walk and window shop? Or is there a gym with an awesome heated pool? Think about something besides food.

When my twins were little, I took a crochet class. I kept my hands busy with crochet and cross-stitch.

I'm fighting sugar cravings today. Yesterday I bought a soft drink from a vending machine...thought it was a diet drink. (I drink maybe two a week) I drank about half of it and went into a meeting. I put my glasses on and realized that my drink did not say "Diet." I was so aggravated because I've done well back on Induction after Christmas, but my next thought was: "If I had known I was going to drink almost 30 carbs, it would'a been a milkshake!" I was furious. And I've been "starving" all day...#$%@!

Hang tight! You're doing it! Just keep on keepin' on...
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

Craving carbs for us is like a drug addict craving their drug of choice.We're addicted to carbs, and our brain goes through the same withdrawal that drug addicts do. It's not easy, just remember to take it one step at a time...one DAY at a time. Remember why you wanted to do this WOE. And remember, it's a LIFE choice. We have to (talking to myself here) remember that we're not "normal" and our bodies can't process carbs like other people can. NBaxter--Keep up the great work! You can do this!
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #9  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

After reading your post and the other's reply I have a few things to add.
First, losing weight IS NOT easy. We have to work at it, EVERY day and EACH day.Just as we delveloped BAD eating habits, we have to develope GOOD eating habits. This will only happen if you are serious and committed. Atkins is NOT for everyone. If you are struggling with this WOE, perhaps you should maybe switch over to South Beach or something similiar. When I first start in the INDUCTION phase, I know I have to be totally committed to it. When I know there is a holiday coming up, with all the temptaions, I PLAN, PLAN, & PLAN what I will have. I am not a big sweets eater, never have been, but if I need something sweet, I utilize splenda and heavy whipping cream to make my own desserts. Now, I miss cookies and cream ice cream ~ LOVE the stuff~ BUT, I know I can't just have a bowl everytime I get the whim for it. I will HOWEVER, occasionally, eat a scoop if I am out having one of my reward meals. About every 15 - 20 lbs lost I will let myself have a reward meal. More often than not, I make WISE atkins based choices. And you know what? I just don't miss most of the junk I used to shovel into my mouth.
~~~~~~~~HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not always easy, but being healthy means more than ice cream
Best of luck to you on your journey. You're doing great by the way!
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #10  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Awesome responses. I feel much the same way as you (although I haven't been on plan..I've been unable to make myself stick to a plan). Keep it up! You are doing awesome~!
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #11  

I did Atkins for 2 years about 5 years ago. It is the only way I could ever lose weight. I just wish I could eat normal rice and bread...LOL, nothing fancy. Well, if I wanna lose it, I can't. There's no Atkins bars or products in my country either, I wonder how they are.

Hang in there!!
Anne333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 162/162/140

I think that you are doing great. I think that everyone goes through a period where they are, as someone said, resentful of the diet. However, I do think I should bring up that if you do not like this way of eating then it may not work long term for you. Hating this WOE will only set you up for diasaster and could cause you to gain back all the weight and then some. Have you considered looking into other diets that may work? You mentioned losing carbs DOES help you lose weight. Have you looked into South Beach diet? It is also a "lower" carb diet, but focuses more on sugar.

I hope that you can climb out of this period on top. We are all here for support. The stress of a baby at home does not help either with the feeling of needing to take a minute and treat yourself. I stay at home and have a 8, 4 and 1 year old that take, take, take all day. I am an emotional eater so when I get stressed out I go looking! Luckily for you, you don't have all the crap in the house that the kids like to eat!

Good luck to you! You're 5 weeks strong...keep it up!
evry1smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #13  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

NBaxter, wow, I feel your pain. 2 things popped out at me when reading your post.
1. The details you went into with the Christmas food. It sounds like you still feel deprived and resentful you did not get to indulge on Christmas goodies. (understandable! I could not have started a low carb plan right at Christmas!)

2. the fact that you are seeking comfort in your foods. Yes you can find a few low carb substitutes but they never quite measure up, do they?

One possibility is going on a less carb controlled plan (like simply counting carbs ) giving yourself a few more (say 60-70) and you can allot them how you like. The problem is of course that for most of us, portion control with sugary, carby, comfort foods is practically impossible. And when you feed the beast, you keep finding him getting hungrier and hungrier ..more and more cravings.

Sugar is toxic and we get a feeling just like an alcoholic taking a drink. Have you ever grabbed something irisistable, sat on the couch, took a bite, and just breathed a blissful sigh of relief? I KNOW I have. Many times.

No sugar and starch is far, far easier than moderating them. It just makes me want more.

If you have had a clean phase 1, or induction, and you are still craving, may I respectfully ask if it may not be the eating plan, but your emotional attachment to food? LC plans offer the best chance of success for people like us by stablizing the blood sugar and controlling PHYSICAL cravings, but its going to take more than few weeks to resolve the emotional cravings. No eating plan on earth can do that.

in time , hopefully we'll lose the urge to turn to food for comfort. We have to change our habits to turn it from a diet to a lifetime program.

I hope you don't think I am too much of whack job. But just wanted to put it out there... GOOD LUCK!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #14  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

I'm struggling too right now to get back on Induction before I go nuts and gain the weight I've lost back...it's hard. It's back to one meal at a time, then one day at a time for me. It's not so much cravings, but I get tired of shopping and planning and thinking about what to eat...I want to relax and not worry about it.

It's a terrible trick of nature and bad eating habits that make me who I am physically. Carbohydrates, and sugar especially, will never be my friend. But it's sort of like being angry and resentful because I have blue eyes or I'm 5'5" - it's the way my body works. So I have to work with what works for me...but I'm NOT GIVING UP!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=sandyfanny;3682493 But it's sort of like being angry and resentful because I have blue eyes or I'm 5'5" - it's the way my body works. [/QUOTE]

That is really a good way to look at it.
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote