South Beach Diet - SBD Daily Chat Tuesday Jan. 4

View Full Version : SBD Daily Chat Tuesday Jan. 4

LADY WINDSONG
01-04-2011, 03:56 AM
:D Morning Chicks

Yesterday Day 1 went well. Lou stepped on the scale at 204.5 pounds! He has really gained the weight and I am worried that he won't do this. BUT if I don't buy the junk he can't eat it. I shall have to plan, plan, plan.

As for me I weighed in at 142.4. In 2001 I weighed 190!
I have to remember that I cannot expect miracles. Hard work and determination and the support of some wonderful chicks will make the numbers go down.

SO

Change is coming in 2011.

Not only are your eating habits going to change, your LIFE is going to change.
Your self esteem is going to go up. You will be more motivated and your numbers are going to go down, down, down.
Be excited and remember:

We CAN DO THIS

Ruthxxx
01-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Good morning, Marcie, and thanks for the positive start to the day. After surviving my trip to the gym yesterday, I am feeling very hopeful again.

We finally got some snow again - the first since before Christmas - and temperatures are back to the usual January cold. It's nice to deal with snowy paws instead of muddy ones although I'm not thrilled to have to wear snow boots again.

As usual, I have my list which has some leftovers from yesterday. I sort of ran out of steam after lunch and had a nap with the dogs for an hour. Then Ernie dropped in for tea and there was the afternoon gone! I blame his wife who tells him to get out of the house for a while. He's recovering from a hip replacement and driving her nuts.

Disney is "on" for pet therapy at the nursing home this afternoon and I'll give her a snow-bath later this morning. It works like dry shampoo and is fun for us both. We should be putting "fun" stuff on our lists. I'll do that after I work at the Food Bank this morning. We are getting more and more "customers" :( but are well stocked for now.

Have a great day. :cofdate:

Heidi58
01-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Good morning! :wave:

It's a chilly one here this morning, too. I wonder if we'll be able to get the kids outside this morning, I sure hope so!

Ruth, I'm glad your gym session went well yesterday, and that you're feeling very hopeful again!

Marcie, even with his junk food snacks my DH lost weight when he started eating SBD meals 3x a day. I think Lou will do fine and who knows, maybe he'll be so pleased with the results that he'll want to make on plan choices for snacks, too.

I'm hoping to hoop with my friend Joy after school today. It was a regular Tuesday thing before the holidays so I sent her an email last night and I'll put the hoops in the car this morning. I enjoy hooping alone, but it's way more fun with someone else to talk to.

A colleague needs a ride from the garage this morning so I need to pay attention to the time and make sure I'm there when she gets there. Years ago a friend forgot me and I sat and waited and waited wondering if she was running late or if she forgot me as the school buses went by.... not a comfortable situation for a kindergarten teacher. :lol: Everything's easier now that we've got cell phones, but that experience left me paranoid.

Enjoy your Tuesday friends.

BelovedK
01-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Lady Windsong, Thanks for starting our thread this morning, and for the positive words. I needed to hear them

Ruth, good morning!! I hope you get that list accomplished. We are expecting snow too this week, I hope it amounts to niothing, I am no longer in the mood.

I got up to work out, like I usually do every morning, and I quietly and considerately exit the bedroom, and this morning (like some other mornings) my DH says something like, "this is why I never get a good night's sleep" and other things designed to make me feel bad. He likes me to feel guilty for getting up and waking him up. I am kind of angry right now, I ended up writing him an email instead of working out. I am going for a walk later, but still, I had planned my heavy duty workout this morning.

I will mention that when he gets up at 4am to work, I never complain, and I wouldn't, even if he did it every day. I would probably even offer to get up to make him coffee, that is just me.

I am fed up right now, and hurt. He is acting put out about the funeral today. The burial is at 10am, and the service is not till one, and he is now talking about not coming to the service, and just going to the burial, which would leave me without my own husband at something that he should be there if he cared. I guess I could sit with my ex husband, who will be there.

I always feel like I am putting him out. I am tired of it, and near my limit. I am just trying to be healthy and lose weight (which he should like) AARRGGHH.

ETA, I wonder sometimes if he would be happier without me, as I read what I have written.

Ruthxxx
01-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Beloved, the question is "Would you be happier without HIM?"

LADY WINDSONG
01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
BelovedK :hug:

Heidi...hoola hooping? Oh the memories.
Ruth pet therapy how wonderful. It even helps Disney.

Mmckellen
01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi all,
Beloved, I don't really know the background here, but agree with those who have said 'would you be happier without him'? I guess the older I get I realize life is too short to deal with bs like that. I always said I wanted a man who would be good to me and treat me like a princess, but I spent 36 years chasing losers (ok, I didn't start dating until I was 16, so make that 20 years) before I met my husband and honestly, I got to the point where I said to myself "I am no good at choosing men. The men I am attracted to treat me terribly. Universe or God, send me a man who will give me what I say I want (real love and support, without the stress and nonsensense), and somehow, help me stick with it!!" He did, and the rest is history, but when he first crossed my path I was NOT interested because he wasn't a bad boy.

Sorry to turn this around to me, but just to say - you deserve better that what it seems like you are getting. I say there is someone out there for you who is perfect. Maybe it is your current husband, with an attitude change. Or maybe it is someone else. Just don't for one minute allow him to make you feel that you don't deserve better than what he is giving you.

Now onto me. It is day 2, phase 1 with points plus and I am really having to take things one day at a time here. Perhaps one minute at a time. Already, the SBD flu is in effect and I just got invited to a party on Sunday that will include a huge spread of food and wine. I am already bargaining with myself "well, I'll eat on-plan foods but not worry about portions, and maybe have some wine." NO. My intention is to do a very clean Phase 1 with PP and have a full month being SBD and PP compliant. Today is Day 2 of 31, 29 left to go.

litar
01-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Good morning everyone. Yesterday went well for me starting back on the beach! I stayed on plan and did a 30 min exercise video to boot!
Windsong- Love your positive spirit...thanks for sharing that with all of us!
Ruth- Glad your workout went well yesterday and I know what you mean about the additional customers at the food bank. We pack food back packs for kids over the weekend at school and the list of needy families just seems to grow and grow.
Heidi- How I wish I worked with someone like you that would want to hoop after work for exercise....everyone is too busy after school but I would love an exercise buddy like that!!! Sounds like fun, too!
Beloved- I'm Lisa and I don't think we've officially met here yet but I am sorry about how you are feeling... I have felt the way you do when I try to do something for me to take care of me and get no support. Take care of you and don't feel guilty!

litar
01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Hey Mmckellan.., I would love to know more about WW points plus new program. My neighbor at work started and she has already lost 3 lbs. She is a SB fan and says it is really like Phase 2 of SB....what do you think so far??

Mmckellen
01-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Litar, I like it a lot. I really think it is good for Phase 2 and beyond. With Phase 1, it is helping me get a sense of portion size. I did weight watchers before and found I was eating a lot of junk because I *could* with the points, but now they have raised the point value of most of the junky foods so it's less realistic to include them. My friend purchased the materials for me at her meeting; I am not going to meetings or doing it on line. If you are interested maybe your friend can lend you the materials to look over and then she can purchase a packet for you (not sure if that is really legal, but whatever) which is about $35.

litar
01-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I am doing a good clean 2 week Phase 1 but then I want to transition to Phase 2 while counting points....my problem last time with SB was that once I went to phase 2 my weight lose really fluctuated and wasn't consistent. I think that was b/c I was eating too much of some stuff so I think the points once I start Phase 2 will really help.

cottagebythesea
01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Good morning! :coffee:

I woke up with a good feeling of being in control after having a completely OP day yesterday. In the past, I had gotten into the habit of having a SBD friendly dessert such as the Peanut Butter Cup dessert or SF pudding, but I'm cutting that out and having a cup of tea, instead. I know we can have an approved treat, but I have a such a sweet tooth and I think it was a trigger for me.

It's just a normal, routine day for me. Yesterday I boxed up all Cindy's decorations and undressed her tree, although I left the tree for Richard to dismantle. Cindy was just thrilled to discover what I had done. :) I'm not sure what I'll get into today, but I'm sure I can find something to keep me busy until it's time to pick up the girls. They have gymnastics after school today, so it will be another late day for me.

Beloved ~ I agree with the others that you should ask yourself if you'd be better off without him. Life is too short to spend it being unhappy and putting up with a domineering person. Ask yourself, "Is this the way I want to spend the rest of my life?"

WaistingTime
01-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Good morning? I thought it was Monday until just now! First day back to school here for my son. Darn snoring husband means I am not all with it yet. Big day - I see the surgeon about my possible hernia! Then, ugh, the dentist.

Heidi - Thanks for the recipes. That dehydrator one had a lot more ingredients than I expected! If the doc clears me, hooping starts! Maybe we need a thread; I'd love to know your routine.

Windsong - It's all downhill from here! You can do this!

Ruth - I've been meaning to tell you that I like the new avatar:)

Beloved - Sorry about your husband not supporting you right now. Maybe writing things down will eventually bring some clarity or at least a bit of stress relief.

Mmc - Hey you! I'm a few days ahead of you on PH1 and also have those dialogues in my head. Sigh.

Lisa - Yay for yesterday! One down. I've been intrigued with the new WW too. Like Mmc, did the old points once and was the queen of low point foods that were not really healthy.

Linda - I am a big "dessert after dinner" person and then just an evening snacker. I should follow your example. LOL - undressed the tree. Never heard that before.

BBL!

CyndiM
01-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Good morning :coffee2: It's a very busy morning so just a quick check-in this morning. I'm WFH so maybe I'll get a minute or two to stop back in and post personals later this morning. Winter has returned here and it seems to want to stay awhile. Darn

TwynnB
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Good morning chicks!

Had a great OP day yesterday. The big part was I almost snacked in the late afternoon, but stopped myself because I wasn't really hungry. Woo hoo!

Had a great trail run yesterday afternoon (never thought I'd do that in January!!), and did the stationary bike this am. Glad to get that out of the way!

Have a great one!

Pearlrose
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Good morning,

Beloved- my DH sounds a lot like yours, I let my DH know that no matter what he says I love myself to much to listen to his discouraging words. Since I let him know he has been much better, still has his moments when he gets angry. I basically told him if he wasn't happy to hit the door running, that stopped him in his tracks. The truth is he isn't happy with himself so he takes it out on others and I told him that is unacceptable.

Mmc and Lisa- I am thinking of adding WW plus to SB as well. A co-worker brought in her getting started book for me to look over. I love SB, but I have a problem with portions after Phase 1 is completed and completely derail, so I am hoping by combining it will do the trick.

Hello to everyone else.

Been kicking the exercise up this week and food on track so I am happy about that.

BelovedK
01-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Thank you all for the support, it was a typo when I said I'd be better off without "me", a telling one :-/

Believe me, it crosses my mind, but I am not there now. I keep thinking I will get through to him, I know that sounds pathetic.

About Points Plus, it sounds perfect, because when I was on WW before, I ate junk. This program sounds more SDB like, which is why I feel I can do them together. DH is cooking pancakes for DD and himself, I am not even tempted.

Schmoodle
01-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Hello Chicks,
Christmas sure was crazy. I feel like it just passed me by with all the hours I was putting in at work. Oh well, there's always next year, and by then I should have some PTO saved up and be able to take some time off to enjoy.
I have been taking LOOONG walks most mornings and I'm proud of myself for that. My eating has been out of control, but I have almost all the crap out of the house and have made good healthy Phase I dinners and lunches for the week. We are going to Orlando in a couple of weeks and I'd really like to feel in control by then. I may be going to the Netherlands in March, so I'll set my first big goal for March 15, to be back in my medium sized jeans (I've got super-fat jeans, fat jeans, skinny jeans, and everything in-between! Right now I'm in the fats. I just don't feel emotionally equipped to go near a scale right now, so I have no idea what I weigh.
This morning I have to take my car in for "oil maintenance" as the Toyota people call it. There's a Starbucks next door, so I think I'll take my laptop and work there while I wait. Well, I'd better get some breakfast before I go so I'm not tempted by those pastries! Have a great day everyone.

AmyKitKat
01-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Wow! You all get up early early early!

Happy to be back for day 2 :D
Yesterday went pretty well - didn't pack enough food (I forgot how hungry I get on the first few days when I'm in true 'detox' mode). But I managed to hold off of the snack machines and have a slice of swiss cheese and a hard boiled egg as soon as I got the kids home from daycare. *phew*

I'm so amazed at all of you who are starting Phase 1 again and had any energy to exercise! All day I planned on getting out the Wii Fit when I got home and playing with the kids, and by the time I finally got home I had zero energy.

Mmckellen: You can totally ignore my post to you in the daily food thread - I do know WW points; can you fill me in on how you are applying them? Are you sticking to say, 24 points a day but all SBD friendly? Are you using bonus points on non-SBD food?

Beloved: I'm sending you a virtual hug even though we don't know each other. It sounds like this is a pattern for your hubby and I feel for you. I HATE it when double standards rear their head with my DH.

Schmoodle: I did the same terrible eating during the holidays - I'm trying to use it as a tool to keep on track (yes, I know it's only day 2); I keep telling myself that if I ate like crap for 15 days I need to do a true Phase I for at LEAST 14 ;)

tanner'smom
01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Good Morning,

Beloved-sorry about the stress you are going thru. I hope it gets better.

My last day of freedom. It's back to the grind tomorrow. It's a good thing I love my job. Today I need to take the car in, yuck. However, I think I will take a walk why they are woking on it. This afternoon my son has his first voice/piano lesson. Tonight I am making black bean soup, my first offical SBD recipe.

My dr. has me overloading on cheese this week. I can already tell it is making me feel yuck. This is what she expected. I am probably about to get the offical label of lactose intolerant.

Have a great SBD day!!!!:wave:

Lindsay0614
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

Beloved, I could hear myself if some of what you wrote about your husband. I am sorry to hear that you are being treated less than the respect any human being deserves. I hope your day gets better!

Karen-Between my boyfriend and my French bulldog snoring last night, I lost several hours of sleep. Though it is quite funny to hear them snoring in sync!

Litar/McKellan-I took a two week detour around the holidays but didnt do too much damage, i got back on Phase 1 yesterday too and so far so good. The new cookbook I got really helped! Good luck!

Good morning to everyone else, sorry I dont have time to say personal Hellos to everyone because I have a meeting. YUCK.

We are having a meeting today because my boss fired our nurse yesterday, I am really upset about it and ready to share my opinion with the other people in my office, including my terrrible boss. She is a very mean and hateful person, sometimes I cant blame her because life has definitely
thrown some lemons at her.

I made some Phase 1 crab and avocado salad last night to have for lunch today and I am anxious to dive into it, it looks and smells so good. I even bought whole crab legs to throw in since they were on sale for cheap!

I took my Frenchie to doggy day care for the first time today and felt a little anxiety leaving her there. Does that make me a crazy dog mom?

have a wonderful day ladies!

TallandThin
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Morning my friends :wave: I'm out the door for my walk and will check back in later today for personals. Hope everyone has a good on plan day

Lexxiss
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Good Morning:sunny:

BelovedK, :hug: Hope you're feeling a bit better. It sounds like many of us have similar occurences, and I'm like PearlRose, learning to take care of myself amidst the ups and downs. I do find that the less those situations "bother me", the less they tend to occur. I used to get upset, not exercise and eat bad. Now I just brush it off and exercise, which usually leads to better eating because I did take care of me.

We slept in, got the pups out then I got a call from the president of our animal rescue. It was almost 2 hours now I really need to reconstruct my plan for the day. I was asked if I'd consider being on the board of directors for the rescue, which for me sounds quite gratifying. I need to send my schedule to them to see if I'd be able to fit meetings in since I'm 150 miles away. I need to make a list...and have my smoothie and vitamins....it's going to be approaching lunchtime.

Have a great OP day everyone!

weezle
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Beloved - One word for you. *PUNT* Hugs to you sister. I'll keep you in my prayers. Always remember you DESERVE happiness.

Day 2 - so far so good. Definitely getting lots of veggies, and my body is definitely "reacting" to them all. Cabbage-filled veggie soup + lentils = Boom. Just so everyone is clear on that. Boom.

Still busy at work but at least we're at almost full-staff again. Trying to get caught up, just wanted to take a quick break and say hi to everyone! Hi!

For those that are having bad days, I hope they improve! To everyone else, be blessed! :D

Lisa

TallandThin
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm back and exercise is completed! :carrot:

Ruth, our DD2 just got her rescued dog, Tank, certified as a therapy dog and he is such a charmer that he will be great.

Amy, when I did phase one I did not exercise at all, just didn't have the energy so you aren't alone.

Lindsay, We also have a frenchie that we rescued last summer. They are quite the characters, aren't they? At least we always know where they are because of their snoring or grunting. Wish we lived closer as I would volunteer to babysit you little one anytime.

The sun is out and bright and felt so good on my face. Again, it is so nice to not be walking in the rain.

I got a good reminder this morning of a lesson that I have yet to learn. Yesterday I sure didn't want to go on my walk and almost quit and turned around for home several times but I hung in there and finished. Then throughout the day I was dragging and just felt out of sorts but again I hung in there and didn't eat anything off plan. Well, this morning the scale was kind to me for hanging in there and I'm not three pounds closer to my next goal! I've just got to remember that those days happen and all I have to do is hang in there and it will pay off! Oh yes, today I'm feeling much better and the walk was much easier.

Well, back to going through the numerous totes of Christmas things. Day two for this project. Wonder if I'll finish today or go to day three tomorrow? Take care of yourselves my friends and I'll "see" you later.

The brindle frenchie on the left is ours and the one on the right is the newly qualified therapy dog. Both were rescued.

BellaLucia
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I posted my pic of me with the hairstyle up, can you see it? If not, visit my facebook. My email addy is

sarahsk
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Day one complete, now working on day 2 of phase 1 and the SBD flu has arrived. I felt great this morning, but now I am feeling ick. Last time this took a few days to pass and I was pretty grumpy. This time I am tired. I'm sure the rainy day and the second day back at work isn't helping. Good thing is I have successfully turned down all kinds of goodies that students have brought in and stayed on plan.

Also I am pretty excited about the new Biggest Loser starting tonight. I'm going to walk on my treadmill while I watch at a nice pace--not too hard or too easy. I'm saving my tough workouts for later in the week.

Have a good day chicks! Thanks for your encouragement and support!!!! :)

TallandThin
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Sara, hang in there girl, it will pass and you will be so happy!

WaistingTime
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, it's official - I have a hernia. Just a little one, as if that makes me feel better about having surgery next week! I will have the longest spell without exercise that I have had in over a decade. Scary.

shelflife
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
My first day back to work turned out to be a half-day! Woohoo! Used the afternoon somewhat productively and I've now got a soup simmering on the stove. Looking forward to trying it for dinner!

I've got to get some studying done but just wanted to check in!

AmyKitKat
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Good luck Karen and sorry to hear about the surgery! If you've been that routine in your exercise regimen I'm sure you'll have the will-power to start back up again. So important to heal first!!

TallandThin
01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Karen, sorry to hear that is what it turned out to be and that you're facing surgery BUT it could have been a whole lot worse girl so hang in there, do what you have to do and heal thyself! Then you can tackle exercising again.

Heidi58
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Popping in quick while I'm waiting for the oven timer to go off - I had time to read but not much time for personals. I sure enjoy checking up on everyone though. Must be my nosy personality. ;)

Okie, you look terrific! Thanks for posting your pic.

Karen, I'm sorry about the surgery. I was hoping there would be some last minute reprieve. I guess it's time to start focusing on how much better you'll feel a few weeks from now. *hug* And when you're ready let's do a hooping thread. I'm pretty boring really, I just crank up the music and get going, but it will be fun to chat about it.

Ah, the timer! I can finally eat! :hun:

BelovedK
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, it's official - I have a hernia. Just a little one, as if that makes me feel better about having surgery next week! I will have the longest spell without exercise that I have had in over a decade. Scary.

I have read, but don't have time to respond to everyone, but I wanted to send a big, virtual hug. Don't worry, though illness and surgery can set you back, they don't have to set you all the way back, you can work on other things, like eating OP. Forgive yourself, and be gentle with yourself, and take the time to heal ((((hugs))))

cottagebythesea
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Karen, that's a shame that you have to have surgery for your hernia, but you have to do what you have to do to get better. Once you're completely healed, you can get right back on the exercise wagon, but it know it's gotta be tough for you.

Okie, I saw your picture in your profile, and your hair looks great!

Lindsay0614
01-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Karen: Good luck with your surgery! I hope its a fast recovery so you can get back at it!

Beloved: I am reading the Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, I think you should read it (if you like to read).

Tall and Thin: I LOVE that you have 2 Frenchies and they are adorable!! Kita has totally changed our lives and we couldn't imagine life without her. We call her "little pig" because of all her grunting and snoring. Her first day at doggy day care was a success, she has been sleeping ever since she got home this evening and this is usually her wild time. I too wish you lived closer, we are dying to make friends with other Frenchie parents.

Tonight I made sirloin steaks in a horseradish cream with green beans on the side. It was DELICIOUS.

Debbie: Do you snowshoe? I am going to be heading to Frisco to do a Romp to Stomp out breast cancer in March. I am looking for people who want to do it with me.

Stay warm everyone!