Faith Based Support Groups - January Christian Encourager's!

View Full Version : January Christian Encourager's!

Bootsie
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
WELCOME FRIENDS!

You've found a great place to come and vent, share or ask for prayer support. This is a great group who will be very encouraging, caring and loving....anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love that I might be a beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

Bootsie
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
2011 here we come MARCHING ON!

Let us start out this year with hope and love in our hearts!:hug:

May peace break into your home and may thieves come to steal your debts.

May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills.

May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips!

May happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy

May the problems you had, forget your home address!

In simple words ............

May 2011 be the best year of your life!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
HEY BOOTSIE ~ thanks for getting us started for a new month and new year; came in to do it myself and saw you had already done it for us ... love that positive prayer to start this new year off right -- it almost sounds a tad bit Irish ...;)

We had lovely :sunny: here all day; it was so nice and bright -- made it a perfect day to do our weekly shopping for the basics and fresh stuff too. Our laneway is a sheet of ice after we had a big thaw from warmer temps but now we are back at more seasonal temps today and they will go lower in time for our winter carnival -- we need that to freeze our lake up good and thick.

We are leaving our lights up so that we can put them on during the carnival; had to stop DH from tearing them down on me today. Gotta find him another winter hobby besides shovelling the sidewalks ... :lol:

Hope you all have a fabulous first week for the first month of this new year ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
HI GALS :)

Thanks for getting us into the New Year BOOTSIE :hug:...love the entry :D ROSEBUD be careful on the ice :hug:

Well, I took down all the outside lights middle of last week when we got a break in the rain. It has been raining buckets and we have more this week, I also will be heading out of town later this week for a week or so, so even though it was a bit early for us I got them all boxed up and back in storage. Angie had her traditional taking down the inside lights and nativity's on New Years Day. She does that and watches the Rose Parade while I watch football ;) Then I get them all up into storage between games. House looks normal again but empty at the same time :(

We had a good New Years Eve and Day. Angie and I went to see True Grit New Years Eve afternoon, the met my step-d her boyfriend and the nephew at our favorite Italian place for dinner. We then came home and watched Avatar which we have had for months but never opened :) In bed by 11 :D New Years day I watched football ALL day long as usual for me and as mentioned Angie did the light take-down, the rose parade and enjoyed some of her TV time while she did some knitting. We got the mutts out for a 3 mile walk in the afternoon too which was nice since the rain eased up.

I have a vegetarian chili about ready to come together for dinner....nice since it is raining as I speak :D I can eat any kind of chili when it rains...or the sun shines ;)

Be Good ~ Gary

Bootsie
01-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Y'all are most welcomed!
I have a question and hope someone can answer it for me.
I wrote this down in my notebook and I love it but where did I get it out of the Bible? Did not write that part down hoping someone would know for I just love it! .

Jesus said: No dear friends, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing. Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.

Could anyone tell me where I found this, it says Jesus said , so I figured it came straight from the Bible.

Bootsie
01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
A friend found it for me and it was Paul who said it not Jesus. Philippians 3: 13

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
BOOTSIE ~ that was PAUL talking about himself in his letter to the Philippians, Chapter 3, verse 13 -- and it is one of my favorite verses too. One that I remind myself of regularly as negative memories from the "past" like to come to mind to discourage us. I know this is one verse that I use often to keep me grounded in the present ... :D

Oh, I see you found it; you posted when my very slow old PC was taking its merry time to put up my post -- told you, it was slow ... :lol:

Bootsie
01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I thank God for all of my friends, thanks Rosebud, my computer is slow too, got that dial up and it is like this little guy :woops: but it gets there sooner than later!:shrug:

Bootsie
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I find this very helpful and anyone can use it and it is free

http://www.foodapedia.gov/Default.aspx

it helps tell me the calories instantly and rather if it is considered a fruit ect.

Charmsey
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
God.. Give me the strength to embark on a new journey, to follow through with my plans and to live my life in order to glorify you. Amen.

Hey all, I'm pretty new (okay, very new) to 3FC...but I'm pretty pumped to find a supportive community. I'm Charms, a 21 year old music major who intends to go to grad school to get her M.Div and be a youth pastor somewhere. That's right. Ordained ministry for this chick.

Hopefully, though, I can embark on that journey a thinner, healthier version of me!

So, just saying hi. I'm so glad to find a group of Christians who support one another.

Bootsie
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Welcome Charm!
I hope you stick around here like glue!

Charmsey
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks, Bootsie! Planning on being here awhile... :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
:welcome: CHARMSEY ~ I think that's wonderful going in for an ordained minister and you are a music major too; that will come in handy too, I'm sure. I was just praying that the LORD would encourage more youngsters to study piano or organ as many churches are having a hard time finding pianists or organists these days ...

Come back often; we love company ... :D

Charmsey
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks Justwant2Bhealthy! I'll be around a lot, I'm certain. :) I already like it here! I'm not a phenomenal pianist or anything, but I get by and I love music. I'm actually a voice major, if that tells you anything! :)

And thanks for the welcome. Makes me feel fantastic! I know God led me here for a reason.

Bootsie
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I am not lost, just a busy week this week! Trying to keep up.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
BOOTSIE ~ glad that you are not lost; me either -- since this PC is so much slower, I alternate between doing my email, posting in different threads, and doing other stuff (like my menu and meals, etc). Between writing the post and then waiting for the reply to show up, it can take anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes sometimes; or even more, if the PC stalls. I think it is battling with all the pop-up ads and such too. Some nights, it works not too bad, and others it is slow as a :snail: ...

I was just trying to answer a friend on my email and it wouldn't work right, but MS said the problem was with them, not my PC -- so I will try again another time. So ... I came in here instead.

A friend of mine sent me an email to tell me that she got a NOTEBOOK computer for only $249 + tax at WALMART; hmmm ... maybe next time I am in the city, I'll check that out. I didn't realize the prices were getting so reasonable -- she says the notebooks don't do all the desktop PC's can do, but for going on the net, they are super, so I am going to look into that for sure.

We had lovely :sunny: again today; the temps have dropped down to -15C tonight and I can feel the cold coming up from the floor here by my desk. Time to crank up the ole furnace again ... ;) We had salmon with brown rice and veggies and salad for dinner tonight; nice and light meal.

Just did laundry and stuff around here today; paying the bills and such too. In the later evening, I like to read my stories for awhile before going to bed as I find it helps me sleep better. I picked up a bunch of books that have 3-4 stories in each book; so that gave me lots of reading. I found at least a dozen or more Christmas stories too and just finished another Thomas Kinkaide episode as well (one of my most favorite ones).

Hope all our friends here are having a great week; and for those who work, tomorrow is Friday (TGIF) -- so have a good one and take care ... Rosebud :flow2:

Bootsie
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Rosebud, When my computer is like that it is more than likely the virus control updating in the background, irritates me.
Went to Burnet to watch my niece show her angora goats and she won Grand champion on one she raised. Keep telling them it is best to show something you raised instead of going out and buying something high priced.
Ate at What a burger and I have decided the best way for me to eat out is get the junior meals. I had a junior meal at a Mexican restraunt last night;green enchilada dinner and Junior hamburger & onion rings for lunch today. Frozen green peas and corn tonight with lettuce ,ham which was 35 calories cheese which was 35 calories, two bananas. I was starving!

EZMONEY
01-07-2011, 12:10 AM
HI GALS ~

I had hoped to catch up today but it didn't work out with all I had to do. I will be leaving in the morning around 3:30 and will be gone for about a week or so...but with my job you never know.

I may catch up with my brother, if I do I will use his computer to check in....

'til then my prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Charmsey
01-07-2011, 01:26 AM
God, Grant me the ability to look past today and into tomorrow. Hold me strong and steadfast. Allow me to glorify you. I know I fall short, but you have created me in your image and the body you have given me is a gift which I will cherish. I know I didn't do so good at cherishing today, but I will work hard tomorrow. Thank you for today, for the beauty you give me, and for giving me a second chance. Amen.

Heya ladies!

Today wasn't my best day in weight loss history. Pizza, cookies. Otherwise, not horrible. I just saw them and gave into the craving. It was horrible. And my dad made horrible comments about it. I feel awful, but I know that tomorrow can be a new, better day.

I feel horrible about myself. I just feel like I'm abusing the gift God gave me. This body is HIS temple, not mine.

Anyone else ever have this struggle?

Prov1972
01-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Hello all,

I just found this site and am looking forward to reading and learning.

Happy New Year!

Bootsie
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Hello Charm and welcome Prov, Yes Charm we have all walked down that road many a times . I just started learning how to control my eating when I go out ,no matter how hungry I am ,I order the junior meal. I find that it is as filling as the large meal and I am not over stuffed.
Please don't put yourself down you are just learning how to take control and it takes time. Your Dad more than likely wants to help you but does not know how so he done the comments please don't take them serious.

Take one day at a time, one step at a time to eating healthy. Before long you will have control of your hunger. Eat in smaller plates also helps at home and don't go back for seconds. Just don't ever quit for God loves you and you are his graceful work in progress. Today is a new day, a new start and remember your God's work in progress, the Devil will try to make you stumble, just step on his TOE and tell him he is not stopping you!! Though he will be back just have to watch out for the critter. Have a good day and a good weekend!

Charmsey
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Bootsie. I'm starting over today. A bowl of cereal and my usual coffee to start with. We'll just take it one step at a time. :) I am a child of God and I am blessed with second chances.

Great positive attitude this morning. Counting on that to keep me grounded! I wish you all the best for the day! :)

Prov1972
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Bootsie. I'm starting over today. A bowl of cereal and my usual coffee to start with. We'll just take it one step at a time. :) I am a child of God and I am blessed with second chances.

Great positive attitude this morning. Counting on that to keep me grounded! I wish you all the best for the day! :)

Charmsey, although I am new to this site, I am not new to trying to eat better and make healthy lifestyle changes. Try not to think of the slip ups as failures, just think of them as a small bump in the road. Its a learning experience. Take one day at a time, keep with mini-goals.

As like many others, I have tried to lose weight, lost some, gained some back etc. I now try to make healthy lifestyle changes, I no longer do diets at all. I do not believe in taking diet pills either. However, I do believe in taking herbal supplements or vitamins that will help support the body when trying to be healthier.

I have quite a few medical conditions that are obstacles in losing weight but am not giving up. Each pound lost is an improvement. Each exercise session, each walk, each healthy meal, each positive outlook, each bump in the road, each disappointment, each junk food session are all learning experiences and are all needed to be healthier.

You can't have the rainbow without the rain. Sometimes you must walk through the weeds to reach the flowers. The dark clouds make you appreciate the sun even more.

God Bless :hug:

Charmsey
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Charmsey, although I am new to this site, I am not new to trying to eat better and make healthy lifestyle changes. Try not to think of the slip ups as failures, just think of them as a small bump in the road. Its a learning experience. Take one day at a time, keep with mini-goals.
Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new myself. So...

I didn't see it as a failure so much, but as a let down. I let myself down by giving in so easily, and I just pray that the experience itself teaches me to be stronger and trust myself more. It's not a failure, but thank you so much for the advice. Today is just going suberbly, and my attitude is right where it should be. I feel positive and uplifted.

Best of luck on your journey as well. :) With support and a solid foundation, I know it's possible.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
:welcome3: PROV ~ glad you joined us here on our chat thread; you had some nice encouraging things to say and they will help us all, including yourself: as we give, we get back blessings too!

CHARMSEY ~ I would say that EVERYONE on this site has been through the same struggle and not just once, but many times; you are not alone in this at all. Hope it is a comfort to you to realize that no matter what terms you use to describe your struggle, it is indeed a learning experience that we are ALL on, every time you pick up & start over, you are winning the race ...

BOOTSIE ~ some friends of ours often choose from the kiddie's menu when they eat out and suggested that tip to us too. We also use smaller plates and bowls for our meals at home all the time. We have been using square bread plates and dinner bowls with the rims for our dinners for some time now; and at Christmas, when we brought out the dinner plates, we couldn't eat all that was on our plates! Yeah!!! That means we have succeeded in training our stomachs to eat less at one sitting; it really does work ...

I so agree about not beating ourselves up when we hit a bump in the road; we don't give up and go home -- no, we just step over it, or around it and keep on going ... the same goes for this healthy living journey that we are on. We must learn to not take this all so personally, esp since so many people are on the same journey as we are -- that in itself should tell us that this is a problem that is common to man.

HI GARY ~ have a great week at work, wherever you are; nice of you to pop in even for a short visit ...

We had pizza for dinner tonight; but we planned it -- we plan to have one favorite dinner each week and that is Friday Fun Night. Now, we limit how much we have, and I gave half my crust to our dear NIKO, as he loves it and I don't need it or want it. That is my way of keeping the meal healthier, plus I had a salad with it as well.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday night; take care ... Rosebud :flow2:

Bootsie
01-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I am so tired been working getting ready for the cold spell and at the store. Hope everyone is doing good on their diets loosing like crazy!

Charmsey
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I hope everything is going well for everyone. I didn't really have a chance to login yesterday as I was at the camp I work at over the summers with a bunch of high school kids. It was a ton of fun, great time, and reminder as to why I want to lose this weight!

Today is going well, I think. Though, I drove to school and on my way not only did I battle snow/ice/poor visibility, but I had a low tire light come on, so I had to stop, check tires, fill one, and reset the censor, then a turn signal went out. Then I watched someone roll off the road. Ugh. Didn't enjoy it. Plus, I had to stop for lunch on the way and gave into Wendy's. Probably not my best option, but I did keep lunch under 600 calories.

Now that I'm back at school and unpacked, I'm trying to decide on dinner. Our cafeteria isn't open and there isn't much healthy to eat in town. I guess I could make a healthy choice somewhere, but the temptation is still great.

I just figured I'd pop by, wish everyone a wonderful day, and say hello! Sorry for the rant. <3

Bootsie
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Charmsy you can go on line and get the nutritional food from Wendys dairy Queen ect. I copied it all off and when I go to town i use them. Seems like you are going to be eating out a-lot going to school. Snow , Texans go into habitation like an old bear, everything closes up when its iced over. I bet that scared you when they rolled off the road.
So far I am doing good in my weight that i gained between Nov and Jan 1st. Almost all of it is gone. I decided to find me some new menu ideas and a lady said she never ate bread on one of those game shows that she ate lettuce instead and I like it that way. Sorta hard to hold the lettuce together but what falls off gives me an extra crunch! I had fake eggs 60 two and a slice of Ham that was 35 calories, hash browns60 olive oil120 was a bonus this morning 1/2 slice fat free cheese15 put all that on my lettuce and put a top of lettuce on top of that, and it sure was good! 310 calories I plan on doing as good this week as last week on my diet but gotta go get some more lettuce! This was the first time I had hash-browns on my lettuce sandwich.

bargoo
01-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I posted this on Prayer Warriors but will also post it here . I am requesting prayer for Steven's family and friends, Steven committed suicide. Pray that all will find peace, Phillipians 4:7. I attended his Memorial Service yesterday. We sang the most beautiful song I had never heard before. "Jesus The Light Of The World ".

Charmsey
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
bargoo - consider it done. Added it to my prayer list in my journal.

Bootsie - I know! I went online and searched for it and printed tons of it off...just to have around. I try not to eat out, and when I do, I usually go to Subway and get the veggie sub, but no sauces or anything. Mmm. Good.

Today, I thought was going well. And it still is, but when I counted calories for breakfast, I ate way more than I thought I did. What killed me, though, was the half of the biscuits and gravy I ate. :p but I chose an apple and oatmeal instead of sausage and fried hashbrown-ey things. So I cwill take that as a success. Healthier choices = good step.

First day of classes. We had a "late start" because of all the snow. So much fun to run and play with friends.

Each day is a blessing. And I am remembering that! :) Moreso than ever.

Bootsie
01-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Father, I can tell how much Bargo and her family is hurting. They seek your loving care of your son Jesus Christ, who knows their sorrow, feels their pain and the emptiness in their lives right now. Jesus please enfold them in the warmth of a blanket of your love and comfort them. Amen

Charmsey
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
So, I didn't do as well calorie wise today as I thought I did. Really surprised me, because I tried really hard to stick to veggies. I didn't realize how bad mashed potatoes are for me. I'm kind of ashamed to admit that, but I know it now. Hah. It's a learning experience.

And I stayed on target.

God blessed me with great friends and people to count on. I'm thankful for their support in this journey. I never realized how many of them wanted me to succeed! I have found that to be awesome motivation. I also know that he blessed me with a snow day tomorrow as a reward for what I'm about to share... okay, maybe not, but I can pretend! ;)

I lost another 3.4 pounds, bringing my current weight to 276.6! I'm so excited to have passed down from the 280s!!! I'm 21, there is no reason for me to weigh so much! Clearly my desire to do this is paying off. I'm just pumped! :)

I thought I'd share. May God bless your day. I hope everyone is doing well...you're in my prayers.

Bootsie
01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Yeah!:carrot:Charm!:congrat: on your loss of 3.4 pounds, just like me,I bet you won't miss them at all, maybe some:rollpin: more will leave next week right? :carrot:

It is what you put in the potato that is bad for you. Have you tried the popcorn toppings instead of butter hardly any calories. Potato does turn to sugar but we do need some sugar in our body and this is natural and it depends on how much mashed potato also. I eat mashed potato just measure it out. I get like a half a cup is like 66 calories with nothing added to it. Have a great Tuesday!:dancer:

Charmsey
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey, God. It's me. Thanks for today, for life, for health, and for joy. Thank you for giving me the strength to continue down a path which will lead only to good. As I better myself, I know I better the body you were gracious enough to bless me with and the life you have given me to do your works. You are truly the way and the truth. May everything I do glorify you and be looked humbly upon in your kingdom. Amen.

It's a great day. No more snow, blue skies, freezing weather (eww), good classes, great friends... I worked out, felt wonderful. Ate rather healthy. Weighed in: down another 1.4 pounds! :) It feels good.

I love life.

Hope all is well for each of you and may God bless.

Bootsie
01-13-2011, 04:00 AM
]Yeah Ha!:carrot: Go Charm go you are on a roll!:hug:[/COLOR]

I have started gaining water weight back,but fighting it !:rollpin:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
CHARM ~ glad you are having so much success this week -- I know that is very encouraging ... :D

BOOTSIE ~ water loss or gain is very sneaky; I have that issue big time -- I can bounce 3-5 lbs most of the time and sometimes even more, so I always keep that in mind. When I went for my pre-op, I had to get weighed at the hospital for the meds and I was so pleasantly surprised that I had not gained any weight. And that was in the late afternoon with all my clothes on, my boots on, and a jacket, so I still weighed what my scales at home said. It was nice to get a reassurance that our scales are so accurate: they were for DH. This was an encouragement to me that I am maintaining the loss still and that is just as difficult as losing.

I was reading on the net recently somewhere -- a doctor said that people should make smaller WL goals, then practice maintaining for a while, then resume losing ie lose 10-30 lbs, then maintain that for a little while; then go for another 10 lbs and so forth. I think many plateaus and stalls are our bodies way of practicing maintainence for us.

Becuz of my water-weight fluctuations, I don't weigh myself all the time. I find this works best for me; everyone is different. Some people do better at weighing once a week as they are more apt to see some loss; and once every 3 weeks works around the PMS symptoms like holding water (a doctor shared this with me). I have found that focusing on sizes & clothes gives me much more encouragement. I'm not so worried about the numbers as how I feel overall now ...

Still, you and CHARM are working it out and that is what's important. I love the non-scale victories like the undies I bought in the fall are now a bit loose on me already, so I know that I'm continuing to lose inches in some places, which will turn into sizes and WL eventually too.

We went grocery shopping today; got in some good walking and picked up healthy food staples for the week coming up. Got a lot of good sales this week too; and that's always a good thing too. Hope you all have fabulous Friday tomorrow -- TGIF ... take care, Rosebud :flow2:

AuntLoopy
01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone! I just want to introduce myself. Kathleen here from Delaware. Nursing home chaplain, youth pastor, and VERY evangelical Christian! Christian first and foremost, the rest is just details.

On to the details: Living with lupus (usually manifesting as pericarditis during a flare), fibro, both kinds of arthritis, long-term back injuries, an implanted orthotic, and just plain cranky-ness. Just seeing the results from one of those Christmas-season weight gains (arguably not as much as my poor DH though, who got the weight-loss surgery lecture from the Dr. this week). Anyways, getting ready to go to Weight Watchers and try the new PP plan. (Me officially, hubby unofficially.) Knowing that while I'm fairly active for a loopy --both my professions are known for being on your feet a lot -- the progress is probably gonna be glacially slow thanks to menopause and health issues and medication side effects. Well, you know how it is, cuz I'm preaching to the choir here.

I'll be back shortly with starting weight and all the good stuff. In the meanwhile, it is very heartening to read this thread. Frankly, I'll be happy if all that I do is learn to be self-disciplined so that I don't come down with weird deficiencies whenever I get bloodwork. (My first bloodwork for 2011 is pending, and will be peculiar as always, I guess.)

Here's the thing: I love my weird life. For all of its challenges, it is also full of joy and meaning. I want to keep moving forward day by day. Right now, I have to deal with my weight and eating habits to continue in a positive direction. Wish I'd done it sooner (perhaps while Auntie Flo was still visiting), but 'tis what it is.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you. Love in Christ!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
:welcome: AUNTLOOPY ~ glad that you found us over here; and we would love to have you join our group. Don't know much about Lupus, but do have a relative who has this disorder -- like you, she is doing very well, despite the condition and we are very happy about that too. WW is a good program and you can do it online for less $$$ as well (so I hear). BTW, I used to work in nursing homes many moons ago (2 were like group home settings in large houses (one a nice big Victorian), and the other 2 were larger type places. I really enjoyed working in them all.

Just finished doing my weekly big vacuuming session -- which is most of the apartment, but it is such a good workout for me. I take my time, and stretch it out as much as I can; if I need to, I rest a bit here and there as I go along. Just staying home today to do stuff around here.

It has started ***** out there, but it is the light and fluffy stuff, which is always so very pretty. I saw our first male Grossbeak today -- a pretty bright red one in the fir tree across the road; I'm sure he was at our feeder as he came from that direction (I was doing my devotions in my rocker by our front window at the time). I also saw flock of happy, little finches just before that and they often hang around together to seek out food and feeders.

We're having leftover BBQ spit chicken for dinner with veggies and probably a small new tator; I have some leftover spagetti and mushroom-meat sauce that we are planning to have tomorrow night, so that's handy.

I've been spending some of my time investigating how much it would cost me to get either a NETBOOK, or a NOTEBOOK, or a newer PC; just taking my time to see what's available to me and how I could acquire one. I have to make sure that they do everything that I need/want them to do.

Hope you all have a funtabulous Friday and wonderful weekend too ... Rosebud :flow2:

Bootsie
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Rosebud what is the difference between a netbook and a notebook?

Bootsie
01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
A friend sent this small prayer to me.... I wonder if it put a smile on Jesus face for it did mine.

Dear God:

For 2011, all I ask for is a big fat bank account and a slim body.
Please do not mix up the two like you did last year.
Amen

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-15-2011, 11:39 PM
BOOTSIE ~ yes, that is a cute prayer indeed; and I'm sure JESUS has a great sense of humor (as we do) and would appreciate the wit there.

I am not sure of all the differences, but from I have learned so far, the Netbook is geared for just using on the net, whereas a Notebook can do more things and is possibly geared more towards students. They are both portable, but the Notebook is often bigger too. If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

Today, I was talking to my niece (who works in a family computer business) -- and she isn't a big fan of the Netbooks. She says that right now, they don't seem to last as long as a laptop which she thinks would be a better buy for our money, so that is where we will likely go for our backup, portable PC.

I also talked to NUMPSTER (my sister) and my brother today; and they were working on a desktop PC for me. They are trying to update it as much as possible with more memory & dvd drives, plus are sending a new all-in-one copier, scanner, printer that he recently got on a special deal -- which is very generous of him/them.

Our temps have really dropped here tonight ... :brr: ... on its way to the -20's C area; and supposed to be even colder next week ... :yikes: I hope it really doesn't go down to the -30's C like they are predicting. Sometimes they are off a bit, and this is one time I hope they are. We had some more ***** today, but the northern wind is the worst really. DH just tried to put some weather stripping in our back door to no avail (didn't work/fit), so we'll have to try something else to stop the cold winds from blowing into our kitchen so much.

Hope everyone else is keeping warm out there; bundle up and/or stay indoors as much as possible, I say ... ;) Take care and hope you all have a serene Sunday ... Rosebud :flow2:

happenstance
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello fellow Christians!
I'm Charlotte, a southern baptist from California. :-)
I was feeling really down a couple weeks ago and in need of some support and I found this website! Answer to prayer...

I've tried losing weight before, but it came back and yoyo-ed, and I think a lot of that stemmed from trying to do it all myself; when I can't do it without God's help. So that's one of my goals for this new year, to involve God in EVERYTHING I do. :-)

Praying for motivation, determination, strength, and patience for all of us!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-16-2011, 06:31 PM
:welcome: HAPPENSTANCE ~ glad that you found us over here! Yes, I pray every day that the LORD/GOD will help me on this journey towards better health. I was reading a lot of scriptures in 1 Corinthians 10? about eating today; how we are to have faith in what we eat, etc. That our spiritual bodies are the most important thing in the end, but that we can also rely on the LORD and the Holy Spirit for help in this matter. One of the gifts of the Spirit is self-control so I ask for that; and in the LORD's prayer for help with temptations (like Jesus had in the wilderness), and deliverance from all negative thought and memories. Both books of Corinthians have some great scriptures along theses lines and are very encouraging ...

BOOTSIE ~ I talked to my brother today (who is very knowledgeable about PC's as that was part of his job); and he says that a NOTEBOOK is just a smaller, more portable version of a LAPTOP, and they are less expensive too. The NETBOOK is smaller and cheaper yet, but does not have a CD or DVD drive in it; and is geared to those who go on the NET a lot. He said NETBOOKS use small USB memory cards instead of discs or dvds for storing data; and you can get lots of external plugin stuff for them like hard-drives, etc. He said a 500 GB external drive for a Netbook is very small -- the big advantage is total portablility; taking up a lot less space, so you can take them wherever you want. Plus, he says that he has never heard of a NETBOOK breaking down yet; as long as you have good AV programs in them and take care of them, they are good for quite some time. He has a laptop too, and told me that he is going to buy a NETBOOK as backup as well.

:brr: Well, the temps did dip down to -25 C here last night; but the winds finally stopped sometime during the night ... yeah! We had lovely, warm :sunny: all day today, and that helped to warm things up for us too. We are having a nice, prime rib beef roast with lotsa veggies tonight for dinner; and I can smell it wafting through the house right now ... mmmm ...

Hope you are all having a lovely day ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
01-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi Gals :)

WELCOME :welcome3:LOOPY and HAPPENSTANCE :)

Well my work out of town finished up Friday. I am off today and maybe a few more this week as I am waiting to start a new job in Beverly Hills. I will be there for probably 2 months. It was good to get home, even though I was only gone for 8 days....I missed my wife and puppies :)

Angie and I took off this morning with the dogs to the beach at 6:30. The sun was shining and the weather was just about warm at the start and real nice when we ended our 3 mile walk. We had breakfast at the beach cafe we usually go to....loved my bacon/basil/tomato/jack cheese omelette :T

My wife/ex/daughter had a baby shower for my daughter in law on Saturday, while all the women did that some of us guys went to the sports bar and watched the ballgame. Great fun for all of us. My wife/daughter and ex did an outstanding job putting the shower on....they all had a wonderful time with all the girls from our families....my side/Angie's and Brenda's.

Angie played bells at both services yesterday, so we took my sister to breakfast at a little French bakery nearby between services. She had never been there, we introduced her to their ratatouille...she loved it :carrot:

Angie is upstairs now on a new kick :) She has been making purses and bags, she gave a few away at Christmas and ALL the women wanted one. When we get together as a family/ies there is around 20 women...she will be busy :D She had to take a break from her knitting....the future GRANDdaughter's blankets....because of some hand issues.

Her yoga :yoga: is really doing well right now. The class she teaches at church had 20 last week :carrot: and a drop in class she subbed at last week had 26 :carrot: My daughter came up for that one and said it was almost too many people...a good thing for the studio ;)

Pastor said that word of her yoga ministry is getting around, he is hearing some feedback from other churches in the area. She is wanting to take some more classes to add on to her qualifications, she would like to be more qualified to teach elderly. Right now she is limited on helping them if they are not in reasonable health/shape but she can direct them to a couple of gals in the area that are trained to help them, although not at our church, just local studios she goes to. Many do a chair yoga class.

Well gals I hope to get back in here later today but for now I am checking out to go through all the mail and bills while I was gone...Angie has a big pile for me :D

Be good :hug:

Bootsie
01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Rosebud and Thanks Rosebud for I need something just to do book work on but Hubbie needs something to go on line for of course I would like to go on line also.

My friends daughter died ,just all of a sudden, 34 years old and her funeral is tomorrow. It was a shock to me, just cannot imagine what they are going through and both of them have hearts of gold.

They put me in charge of Bible Study with a friend in Outlookministry last week and the Heart Leader with another friend this week. I hope i do alright, sure is a-lot of work a leader does and we are doing it all free just so we can help someone else. I have not lost no more weight but I started gaining and I did loose that! Gee! That was a relief! Went this last Saturday to a hardware show and ate out so that did not help me loose. But I had some much needed fun with hubbie so it was worth it. Have a great week ! Hi Gary and welcome all new comers, please pull up a thread and read and post a while!

AuntLoopy
01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi again everyone! Can you believe that it took me till today to finally get to Weight Watchers? But I'm sooo glad that I did. The plan seems very straightforward and suits my personality (did someone say unlimited free fruit????) As it turns out, there is a dear 100-year-old lady in one of the retirement community Bible studies who has a doctorate in nutrition from Cornell and was one of the people who helped to design the original WW program. I didn't know this until I requested prayer today because I was heading to WW right after work. She filled me in with all sorts of info and just lain scurrilous gossip (most of the information is outdated, but I know she's going to enjoy seeing the new stuff when I bring it in).

Anyways, I need to work on my profile, but at least I can give my starting weight now: 244.6. Which is actually down a few pounds from earlier this milennium, despite the prednisone, which actually gives me a lot of hope.

Now I have a lot of new information to digest. Planning a farmer's market trip for Friday (did I mention that I'm Pennsylvania German, and will automatically get the good stuff from the vendors there?) So it's all good. I feel optimistic and rather contented for some odd reason.

Looking forward to participating in this thread more regularly.

Bootsie
01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi Loopy have lots of friends in Weight Watchers, they like all the fruit you can eat if its frozen or does it have to be frozen. I been freezing my grapefruit ,oranges ,bananas and eating what i want of it seems i don't eat as much and i get fuller. Doesn't it burn calories if you eat it frozen?

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ we have been having real cold temps here lately but thank goodness, the :sunny: has been coming out each day too; and that has been warming us up during the day. It's the night-time that it is getting very cold. :brr:

AUNT LOOPY ~ nice to see you back here; yes, the WW program is very good and very popular here too. I didn't know that you could have unlimited fruit; but if sugar isn't an issue for you, fruit is a great filler and good for snacks and desserts too. You know you look a lot like a friend of mine who was Dutch (from Holland). I think you might have been twins if she was still here with us; you look that much like her. I know there is Dutch, and Dutch German as well ... that's nice that you can go to a Farmer's Market in the middle of winter, but I'm guessing it may be indoors???

HEY BOOTSIE ~ I never thought of freezing oranges; that sounds interesting. I bought some tangerines at Christmas (and still have some); but they were kinda tart, so I have been having them with some Cherry Yogurt and that helped a lot. Frozen Grapefruit -- now that is different for sure ... ;)

WE had fish (poached salmon) and brown rice with veggies and sliced tomatoes for dinner tonight. I had leftover from last night for lunch and my porridge for breakfast. Gonna have a snack soon with my tea ...

We had a lovely full moon last night and it had a huge HALO around it. Did you all see it? It was spectacular; I hope to get a camera some day that could take far away pictures like that. Mine doesn't have a big enuff zoom.

Just did some weekly housecleaning today; DH went up town to do errands and pick-up for me as there wasn't much needed this week. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow -- TGIF ... and take care ... Rosebud :flow2:

Karen31
01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone! I know I haven't been around in forever... Things are going pretty good and I'm still loving MO. Even though it is cold and we have snow on the ground right now..

I got this in an email today and I really wanted to share it here too. Just wonderful!

THIS is how the world should go round!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hN8CKwdosjE

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
:wave: HOWDY, KAREN ~ yes, we have missed your lovely self around these parts. Glad to hear that everything is going well for you. I am getting a newer PC very shortly, so I will be able to go look at all those videos and youtubes pretty soon -- can't wait ... :lol:

AuntLoopy
01-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi all!

Yup, Rosebud, I'm the German kind of "Dutch". My folks got here from the German-speaking parts of Europe back in 1692. I'm ethnically Beachy Mennonite, but I'm a Methodist chaplain serving a secular nursing home and as youth pastor of a non-denominational church. You know how it is.

All our volksmarkts here (farmer's markets) have a permanent building for winter business. People think of us as always selling local stuff, but we're actually the big produce importing businesses in southeastern Pennsylvania and throughout Delaware and Maryland's eastern counties. Hence a trip to markt will always get me the best fruit at less than a third of retail. If I buy in quantity (since I live in the city), it pays for the gasoline to drive there.

At WW they didn't tell us to freeze fruit, except as a (questionable to me) "treat". What they DID say was that whole fresh fruit is unlimited (room temperature or cold or even briefly cooked plain, but not stewed to reduce the volume). Not applesauce, not juice, and if it's store-canned, you have to get it in its own juice and thoroughly drain it in a colander. And not dried fruit, the Dutchie's winter mainstay. *sigh* I'm still eating home-dried apples, I just have to count the points. I'm even putting together a revised recipe for dried-apple pie, which I'll check with my WW leader before sharing. Stores elsewhere do sell dried apples, right? They're not just a local thing?

The bad news is that of course I canned my fruit this year in syrup, so I've got to count it. Next year, I'll probably freeze it after lightly cooking instead. I had an auntie who was diabetic, and she made the most incredible sugar-free jellies and other good stuff. I've put the call out for her recipes, which hopefully will find their way to me.

Anyways, the snow didn't come today, yay! Just a little ice on the sidewalk and the DH got to work safely.

Welcome Charlotte! This is a lovely place to receive support and encouragement. I'm really glad that you're here.

Bootsie
01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Rosebud the frozen grapefruit is better than oranges frozen. I have had a problem eating grapefruit but frozen does not seem to bother me one bit and is filling. I have all kinds of fruit frozen in the deep freeze but i need to freeze some more grapefruit for I ate it all last night.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
AUNTLOOPY ~ I used to do a lot of canning when I live in the country and had a bigger garden; not so much now that I live in town. My garden here is much smaller, but I got lots of green beans this past year (now in the freezer). I haven't seen dried apples here yet, but have seen dried Apricots, cherries, cranberries, and even mangos.

BOOTSIE ~ I have always found grapefruit tart, but maybe if I was to freeze them, I might like it better. They are expensive here too.

We have -30 C here already tonight; may go down a bit further by morning though. Have had a few light sprinkles of snow today on and off; not much though. The temps have been going up and down, up and down. My Aunt told me today that their temps went down to -45C the other night. They live east of us out in the country (near our lot), but are up at a higher elevation. Maybe that is why their temps are always about another 10 degrees colder than here; but we are in town and that does make a difference too (all the close buildings).

We had our Friday fun dinner: pizza and I had a salad with mine. Just had a lazy kind of day; doing this & that around home. I didn't want to even venture outdoors today; the cold bothers me more now.

Hope you all are keeping warm out there; DH just brought NIKO in and the cold air just blasts in here when the door is open ... :brr: Have a great weekend everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

Bootsie
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
OhAunt Loopy just love you! I am half german dutchman and half irish, with Texan mixed in makes one hot dish! ;)I do a-lot of canning except the past year the grass hoppers ate everything. Now I have a gas stove in the air conditioner part so it will not be so hot on me. I would get up to 109 sometimes in the kitchen with out air conditioning. I am preparing for war against THE GRASSHOPPER!

Grape fruit I find tart but yeah the freezing does something to that tart, in fact I find it somewhat sweet. Maybe it's Gods way of taking the :devil: out of a grapefruit. Try just one the red fruit is the best.
Cold weather!
Ok that means it is headed this way, every-time you get hit Rosebud, in one week it is at my house ,but mostly just cold artic wind and no moisture!

ronni62
01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi, everyone! It's been a really long winter so far and I'm getting tired of seeing snow, snow, snow-glad I learned a long time ago to use colors other than white in my house or everything within sight would be white:p

It's been too long since I've been here regularly and I've learned something from that-I really can NOT do this on my own:dizzy: duh!....... It's been such a difficult year for us and I've gone back to all my old bad habits in trying to deal with everything on my own and guess what??.....IT'S NOT WORKING!! Go figure:o Well, this is a new week and it's time for change. And, I wrote that to emphasize it to myself and cement my commitment to get with my program:D

The boys are doing ok, now. DS2 is on antidepressants which are helping him deal with his adjustment disorder and deal with college, new people, and new responsibilities. DS3 has had the flu, but is getting better. He was diagnosed with ADD and wanted to try some meds, which are helping his concentration during our schooling times a LOT:) DH has returned to his old chemist position, giving him the normal M-F work schedule, but unfortunately, less pay, but we'll make do-we always have and always will. Won't be getting that new truck anytime soon though;) Might be able to trade my dad's 14 year old truck (part of my 'inheritance') and our 10 year old van for something a little newer though come spring:crossed:

Not much else going on here. I've been a lurker and keeping all of you in my prayers. Have a great evening!

Bootsie
01-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Ronni you can lurk around here all you want. I really don't know how y'all live in that snow like that, but i do wish we could get some moisture and snow here makes the Bluebonnets grow like mad! Please don't try to to this on your own Ronni, get some help there are on line diets and you will find some support here. Rosebud is getting a new computer and she will be back soon , did you check out her diet she posted it in a Thread here check it out. It is like the outlook ministry First Place pretty much. They are making their decision this week what Leader in the Outlook ministry they want me to be. Glad your hubbie is over the flue that is bad stuff and your son is doing better but please take care of yourself. Do you have any stairs I was watching Dr. Ozz and he said to go up and down those stairs for 7 minutes each day. I been doing it and of course with an audience 2 Siamese twins(Cats) they Look at each other then look at me and I can just imagine what they are thinking. "And she thinks we have lost it!"

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
:wave: HI THERE ~ it got down to -35 C last night ... :brr: It's already down to -25 C now, but it may only get down to -30 C during the night. We have to set our furnace a bit higher to keep up with those temps, and I pulled out the other big fleece blanket I bought last year. I wrap myself up in it on the couch to read to keep warm. I also put on our fireplace stove last night too. We have it by the front door area which gets the coldest, so that really helps a lot.

HI THERE, RONNI ~ glad that you popped by again; that's OK that you were lurking too. Yes, we're happy to hear that the boys are doing better; and your DH realized what position was best overall. Sometimes, the higher salary is luring, but sometimes the price you have to pay for it, just isn't worth it in the end.

I understand what you mean about needing some kind of support; I find coming here keeps me ever mindful of my journey. Everyone here knows how we feel; as we are all in the same boat. It's good to be able to talk with others who really know what we are talking about -- many naturally thin people just don't really understand our challenges. Plus, the ideas and tips we can share with each other are so helpful.

BOOTSIE ~ the newer PC is ready; they are just figuring out what is the best way to get it here. Don't want any damage. Lots of companies deliver their products by plane, train, bus, truck, or mail these days. Right now, it's a toss-up between bus and delivery truck, I think.

My niece is going to make me up a back-up laptop and bring it up by car this summer sometime; as she is planning a holiday here and they run a PC business in the south. She is sending me up some programs by mail as well.

I read what you said about the laptop PC in the other thread; yes, they can be expensive by the time you add all the bells & whistles these days (I mean programs, extra memory, hardware, and other accessories, et al). There are some netbooks that do come with a hard-drive but they may be a bit more expensive, not sure; but they don't have disk-drives. They would have to be USB externals plugged in (plug & plays, they call them; but they cost extra too). I think you are right to just save up and get the laptop that you want in the end; I am doing the same thing.

Hope all our friends here have a good week coming up; keep warm ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
HI GALS ~ :hug:

Well I will try and catch up a little as I watch this football game too. Angie just left to pick up my sister, they are going to a play in San Diego. I was supposed to be going with Angie but she noticed last night that the time was for 6:00 and not the 2:00 show :o She ordered the wrong ones. This means she won't be home until 9:30 or so, which is too late for me as it would be an hour or so before I got to sleep after that. Since I am having to be up by 2:45 in order to commute to my current project I need to be in bed much earlier :D Cool though for my sister, she will love it and Angie and I go several times a year anyway.

Church was a little light today but my pew was full of women :D my wife, sister, niece and my ex-wife. I think some stayed home for the first ballgame, surprising how many Green Bay and Chicago fans there are at my church.

The yoga studio has asked Angie to take on more classes but I am not sure she will, they are on the hours of our Fri night dates and Sat morning walks....2 things that we need to keep our marriage strong...along with church. After that we pretty much go our own ways and meet in the middle...some things just need to be constant (as much as possible) for us ;) Especially with my out of town work and her yoga classes. There has been some movement on her part to add another class at church for yoga too...that is fine with me :)

RONNI ~ You know where your ROCK is....I know it can be hard but keep trying to focus on the positive hopes and He will come through for you...just as you have seen so many times :hug: I know it can be hard...but just for 1 thing...DH is back to that old job with the better hours...I know it is less $$ but I can tell you I get calls all week from good men that have worked for me that haven't made any $$$ in a very long time....:hug: My neohew finally has his ADHD in control on his own for the most part...the NAVY has helped that...it was a battle all those years I raised him.

BOOTSIE~ I am so proud of you in your ministry :carrot: :hug:

ROSEBUD ~ I had pizza for dinner on Friday too...too bad I did not have salad ;) I had a coupon for a pizza place we visit...large pepperoni for $10...they usually cost $18...well worth the $10 :)

AUNTLOOPY~ My sister has lupus and has had it for, that we know of, 25 years....doctors gave her 5-10 years to live at that time. She is currently recovering from 4th stage breast cancer...double mastectomy a little over a year ago....you would not know it...she just keeps on truckin' :carrot:

KAREN~ Good to see you pop in here...see ya on FB ;)

Well...back to the game ;)

Be good :hug:

AuntLoopy
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi all! My project for this week is checking out some local supermarkets. I've been going to Acme/Albertson's for decades now to supplement my monthly trips to volksmarkt. I started leafing through the WW Food Companion and noticed all kinds of national brand foods with lower points than average. I went to Acme, and they have NONE of them! So I'll be lurking the aisles this week, hoping to find someplace to get stuff once a month or so.

Also we have a BJ's opening next month (I can see the construction crane from my yard). Here's hoping that they'll have some of that stuff in bulk. I'm not really a weekly shopper, except milk/bread for which I usually go to the local Dutch country outlet store (a place at the city limits which is more expensive than a farmer's market, but guaranteed to contain all local stuff and no imports).

Today I went to Pathmark, and found someplace that sells Buddig lunchmeat. To my surprise, some of the other brands' "deli thin" packaged lunchmeats were lower in points than Buddig. But they had a couple of flavors that I like very much, so I grabbed 4 small packages. They didn't have anything impressive in reduced-calorie bread, my other goal for this week. They *DO* have an incredible frozen food section, and I picked up a couple of things there for a dollar each.

Anyways, it's all good because God is all good. I remain very optimistic that I'll be able to deal with this food plan if He strengthens me.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
HI AUNTY LOOPY ~ sounds like you have a lot of choice where you live; we only have ONE grocery store here, but we do have a department store that has a grocery, produce, and dairy/meat section where we can get a lot of great deals. Some people travel to the city, but we find by the time you pay the gas, we don't save much as there is only two of us.

I hope you have some success finding things that fit into your plan. Since you live in the US, you may not have the same brands as we do. We do have the Budding Brand here, but we also have Pillars and a Canadian one called Maple Lodge which specializes in chicken products.

We also have BLUE MENU brand here that offers a lot of foods that are lower in fat and calories; I esp like their burgers: they have chicken, turkey, beef, salmon & tuna burgers (and more), and they taste great! I really like this brand as they have really good quality stuff too. It's nice that we can get them in our local grocery stores.

GARY ~ I try to have salad with my slice of pizza to get some type of veggies into the meal. My doctor who arranged the PP wanted at least 2 veggies or 1 salad & a veggie for dinner. I don't blame you for not wanting to give up your date night; I think every couple should have one. Plus, you already do so much for your church and others now! ;)

BOOTSIE ~ you are right in what you say about being in line with our weather systems; it seems that RONNIE is too. Their weather is so similar to ours it's uncanny; and we are quite far north. I didn't realize that some of the states were so cold in the wintertime.

Right now, I'm reading a very funny romance book called -- "MARRYING AN IRISH ROGUE". It's about a town of women who are fed up with the bachelors of the town who don't want to commit. They would rather stay at home with mommy waiting on them hand & foot. Well, no more -- becuz the THE MIDNIGHT COURT has commenced ... :lol:

We are having steak and veggies for dinner tonight; I'm doing it in the oven tonight for something different. Smells great in here ... smell is half the lure of food, isn't it? Oh well ...

It was a bit warmer today; only -13C and it should be even warmer for the next 2 days, so we will do our weekly pick-up then. Have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY, eh ... Rosebud :flow2:

Bootsie
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Thank You Gary, being proud of me. That means a-lot to me! I love of spreading God's word with Ladies from all over and helping them where I can. It is awesome that God put into my heart to be a Leader at Outlook ministry again for I did not feel worthy to be one, I registered to be a member. When I seen they had training now I jumped on it but not before I asked God if he thought I could do it and of course I opened the Bible for an answer and it said it all in Proverbs 4-25,26,27 so I stepped out in faith. They start a new session every month and next month I will be a Leader but a better Leader than I was in my past. I plan to someday when my husband gets a restroom at our store to start a First place 4/Health meetings there.

hspencer
01-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Hey all!
I'm brand new to the website and I saw this thread and was so happy because I LOVE JESUS! =)

I hope I can keep up and post regularly on here, it could be really helpful with my weight lose journey.

Pleased to meet you all.

Hannah

Bootsie
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
:welcome3:Hannah,
I am sure if you post regular here with others you would find the support you need. What is your food plan? Let us not forget your exercise plan, just take out slow there , any movement burns calories, so I suggest if you have not already, get yourself a pedometer and count your steps. Work up to 10,000 steps through out your day, notice I said work up too, don't try it all at one time. I am still working on that, sometimes I make it ,sometimes I only get 3000, but at least I burned some calories. I found one thing that has helped me get stronger in my legs in the last week is climbing stairs for 7 minutes , like Dr. Ozz suggested each night. Of course my cats think I have lost it.;)

Most of all have some quiet time for the Lord each day it really helps. Also it helps to take some time for yourself each week, pamper yourself for the Lord has made you and your precious in his sight.

Anyone else have any tips for Hannah and others?

ronni62
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Good morning! Wanted to talk a bit here, but I hear the trash guy and have to get our out really quick-bbl!!! Have a great day!

hspencer
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Bootsie: Thanks for the welcome! =)
Well, I don't really have much of a meal plan yet. Does just trying to eat less of everything count? With special focus on cutting down on carbs.

I have time worked into my schedule to go to the YMCA at least three times a week between school and work. And I usually do the elliptical for 30-40 minutes. I should definitely get a pedometer since I walk around a lot on campus, it'd be helpful to see how much I'm actually moving.
Does anyone have suggestions on what a good pedometer is? or where to get one?

Pamper myself? wow, what a concept! :p I'll probably have to work up to that one too.
But I'll try to set away a time especially to pray and think about this!

Bootsie
01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi Hannah , I got a cheap pedometer, it works better for me for I kept loosing them in the barn taking care of the animals.. Then I decided I would put a small choke chain on this one and a clip and have not lost it yet! I think your doing great on the food and exercise part . Rosebud has a diet plan that you might be interested in , it is in a thread on this site not to for down. I try to watch my fat and cholesterol but get my protein in the morning to keep me full during the day. Eat my veggies and grains fruits I drink a 1/4 glass of Of grapefruit before I eat and let it get into my system heard it breaks the fat cells down , now I don't rightly know if that is true or not. I keep a food log of what I eat and I try not to go over 1400 calories but that is just me. You may need a higher calorie range if you start counting but I would try just what your doing for a while and see if it works ,sounds great!

Bootsie
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Ronni!!

ronni62
01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi, everyone-it sure ended up being a busier day than I had planned, but we got quite a bit accomplished. Even gave blood this afternoon, which took a long time, as they were very busy and I tend to bleed slowly;)

Eating-wise I didn't do too badly; calorie count was a little higher than I wanted, but didn't have any coke or chips, and did have a good balance of protein, grains, and veggies, so I'll just be content with that:) I figure giving blood was good for burning off a few calories, too!

And, I even got a start on doing taxes:p So, now it's time to relax and wouldn't you know it, the pres is giving a speech, so I decided to come here instead. Might do some reading too:)

Well, hi to everyone and hope you all have a great Wednesday!

EZMONEY
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Gals!

welcome Hannah!

No time to post tonight...been a long day and still need to shower and get dinner....so glad it is Angie's night to cook!

Be good

hspencer
01-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks for welcome ezmoney!
Yeah, hopefully I'll be able to make it to the store to buy a pedometer.

I'll check out Rosebud's diet plan too =)
I'm probably OK on cholesterol (for now!) but I should watch my fat intake also.

AND I should also write down everything I eat too. I'm so lazy to do that!

How do you guys get over the trouble of writing everything down? Any tricks? or do you just have to suffer through it? :p

Woohoo Ronni! My school was having a blood drive yesterday but I didn't have time to stop by.... I should've gone to burn off some calories haha

Bootsie
01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Hanah when you see the difference that it makes on the scales it is easier to write every thing down. After 4 weeks of writing it down, it becomes a habit. If you have a friend to send your food log too it helps and they could send you theirs. Having a leverage also helps. In exercising there are days I just not want to get out of bed but I know I best because my friend was waiting on me to go walking at the road. I have to write what I eat that day are I forget what I ate also. I find it easy to do an email and save it and add on to it everyday. Then after a while, I made me a chart and I been using it and it adds everything up for me on open office.org calculator that is on my computer and I designed my own plan that satisfies me. Example: amount, calories, protein, fat, cholesterol, sodium, fiber, sugar, weight for the day
Hope this helps you.

ronni62
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi, Hannah-Like Bootsie said, after a few weeks of writing things down, it's just normal and seems weird if I have a day that I don't write my foods down. I only write what I eat and the calories, though, plus my daily weight (and waist size, but I only measure that about once a month). If I try to write fats, carbs, etc, I get frustrated and won't do it, so I just stick to the calories. I do sometimes just put my electronic scale and notebook right on the table while we eat, so I don't have to keep hopping up and down to weigh and record things.

Well, got a little more done on the taxes, but still don't have all the info I need, so have to wait for the places to get it to me. Found out that the deduction for tuition paid is very nice, though:D Ended up crying my way through Dad's taxes, though-I was ok until I had to open up his paperwork file and it smells like him, you know, with the cigarette smoke, and then I was done for:cry: But, his taxes are completed and there will actually be a few dollars to split with my sister from his 'estate'-Fortunately, since he didn't own anything, the taxes were very easy.

Doing ok with the eating today. I'm resorting to my old stand-by of Lean Cuisine meals, though, even though so many resources say not to eat processed foods, but I really need the convenience at times. I only eat those for lunches, though, so maybe that won't be so bad.

Well, need to go accomplish something else, so I'll bid adieu -Have a great afternoon, everyone!

Bootsie
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Ronni do you have to do your Dads taxes? I did not think you had too, might check into that.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-26-2011, 08:41 PM
:welcome: HANNAH ~ yes, eating less of everything counts! That is a great start, esp with the elliptical each day as well. I have to watch my complex carbs too; I had pre-diabetes before but with eating healthier, that is gone now. I must keep this healthy eating style for life; and with the NO DIET-DIET (aka Portion Plan), that is very doable. I eat whole grains and measure my complex portions well, but that is easy really.

I also keep a daily journal; that helps me keep track so I can tweak my plan as I go along. I just have a file on my desktop page; I click on it and I add in what I eat each day: it only takes a minute. The daily entry looks like this ...

---------------------------
DATE: Wed JAN 27 ...

BF: 1 coffee; 1 egg w/slc of BF Ham; 1 toast w/tsp marg
LN: mushroom-veggie soup; 1 wg bread/tsp marg; 1 oz chz
DN: 1 cup wg pasta; mini-meatballs; tomato-veggie sauce
SNACKS: small banana; 1 coffee; baked apple + tbl granola; 10 SL nuts; tea; 3 wg/sc with pb; tea; 1/2 cup applesauce; tea

---------------------------

RONNI ~ nice to see you drop by; your doing great. One step at a time; one day at a time. If I make a mistake, I just count that as a maintenance day; and continue on plan with the next snack, meal, or day ... I think a LEAN QUISINE here and there is quite OK; esp for lunch when you are busy. It's a whole lot better than skipping a meal or eating something unhealthy ... :hug:

BOOTSIE ~ I think the 7 minutes of stairs is a great idea if you have any and can do them; since I don't & can't, I do the 8/10 minutes morning exercises which has grown into 15+ now. Plus, I do the walking as well; if I don't get outdoors walking, I just walk back and forth from one end of this place to the other for about 5 minutes, 3 or 4 times over the day, which adds up to the 20 minutes I wanted. I find dancing is good exercise too. I also do my hand=weights every other day too (which is supposed to increase your metabolism).

It was wg pasta night here -- with mini=meatballs. I put lots of veggies in the sauce (onions and garlic, shredded carrots, diced green pepper, and mushrooms) to make is even better. I found I really didn't need a salad too; as we were full with that.

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow ... Rosebud :flow2:

AuntLoopy
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi all! Just got back from Weight Watchers, and though most of my weight loss for this week was simply a matter of my having gone there during a break at work (my clericals weigh a lot less than my casual clothes and shoes), I feel very secure right now. It's a weird feeling. It's as if I know that I'm riding right on the crest of God's will for me in terms of health and self-care.

Practically speaking, my first week of WW gave me a couple of amazing gifts: my need for anti-inflammatory medication was cut exactly in half (now I can just take the minimum dose to keep the lupus from flaring up, so that will actually make weight loss easier in future weeks).

My capacity for activity is noticeably greater, too. I shoveled the first 4 inches of heavy snow before going to work, because DH wasn't going to get back in town before sunset. Then I found that I was the only "activities" person who actually made it to work (yes, chaplaincy is the exact equal of bingo and finger painting in our hierarchy), so I decided to do as much of the regular schedule as I knew how to do, because the natives were getting restless and grumpy. So I fed and coddled the yarn club, led the weekly word game, and even got out the bolo tossing game (which left me with a nasty bruise on my shin and a broken fingernail, this being a full-contact sport even for the referee!), as well as two Bible studies and individual counseling/visitation.

And I feel absolutely fine right now. It's rather shocking, actually. That such a short time of adherence to a better food plan could make such a big difference.

Which, to bring this around full-circle, is why I think that this is all a miracle in progress, no matter what the scale says.

EZMONEY
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi...gotta go....

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-26-2011, 11:08 PM
AUNTY ~ how do you play BOLO tossing game? And, what do you toss, exactly? Sounds like it could be a good aerobic exercise for you too ... ;) You had a busy day; but I bet you'll sleep well tonight! :D

GARY ~ HI & BYE ... ;)

AuntLoopy
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Rosebud! Just finished taking down another 8-inch snowfall. It took 3 hours to dig the DH out so that he could go to work, and while I was in the house changing into my clericals -- the snow plow came and blocked the driveway again! *LOL* Anyways, I was due to work a morning shift, and it's almost 11 a.m. so the powers that be told me to just stay home. I dug out a path for our poor dachshund -- he's old and swaybacked, and has about an inch of clearance, so even a slight snowfall wreaks havoc on his self-imposed duty to walk the perimeter every day and scare the birds in the brush pile.

Bolo toss is one of a set of coordination games for the elderly and disabled that you can buy as a set which costs two hundred dollars or so. Supposedly you can make something like 20 activities from this kit, but we mostly just play bolo toss or horseshoes.

A bolo is two balls with a cord between them. In the southweastern United States, Native Americans used them to capture wild horses and other long-legged animals. You grab the cord by the middle, spin it around your head a few times, and throw it at the animal's hind legs. They get tied up in it, and fall over.

In theory at least.

Our bolos are soft rubber balls with an elastic cord, and the goal is to throw them so that they catch on a miniature football goal post. It's something that can be done indoors with no damage to the furniture, and only a few bruises to the activities staff members. The residents like it best of all the stuff from the kit, largely because they enjoy watching us bounce around on one leg and try not to cuss.

Like children, our residents seem to get cabin fever. Even if they weren't going out anyway (and most of our residents never get further than the rose garden or patio), they are nervous and cranky when there's precipitation and dark skies. Getting them involved in something physical helps a little.

A normal day of activities at our facility (which houses five different populations: independent living for seniors, assisted living for physical and mental disabilities, an Alzheimer's ward, a skilled nursing ward, and a hospice wing) includes manicures or haircuts, exercise sessions, movies, musical performances, religious activities, field trips to the mall, etc. The activities staff puts on about 15 activities in different areas daily. I'm in charge of religious activities, which include three Bible studies for different levels of mental capacity, facilitating two Sunday services (Protestant and Catholic), holiday services, individual visitation and counseling, and family counseling. We do our best to be more than a warehouse or a place where people are hidden away to die alone.

It's really a place of miracles. The Bible study in the skilled nursing area (which includes staff members and residents from the nursing and hospice areas) is a strong prayer group where supernatural healings happen regularly. One afternoon, a staff member came into the TV room (we weren't having Bible study, but I tend to hang around in that department just spending time with the patients) saying that her mother had been taken to the hospital in another city with severe heart failure. I collected as many Christian residents and staff as I could, and we anointed the staffer with oil as a proxy for her mother. When I saw her the next week, she reported that her mother had been instantly healed at the moment when we were praying for her. The doctors in the ER had described it as "impossible".

So anyway, I have the world's coolest jobs (nursing home chaplain and youth pastor). My icon is me wearing a "crazy hat"...something which we give away to anyone who comes to the nursing care center Bible study twice in a row. (The Independent Living Bible study attendees get pink monkeys with a knitted hat and scarf -- don't ask!)

EZMONEY
01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I will catch up...promise!

Bootsie
01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Gary! We will be here!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-28-2011, 08:40 PM
:wave: HI THERE ~ hope everyone is having a FABULOUS FRIDAY out there. We had lovely :sunny: today and that warmed things up for us all day long. The temps quickly dove back down to -20 C as soon as it got dark though, but we just put the furnace up a bit to counteract that. ;)

We had our Friday fun meal; I had a chicken burger with a side salad. DH ran errands today; didn't have much to do this week fortunately. Just doing stuff around here: daily chores and such.

AUNTY ~ oh yes, I have heard and seen BOLO TOSS GAME -- I just didn't know what the game was called. A neighbour of ours plays that at all their family functions. I haven't played but DH has and it looks like a lot of fun too. It's a popular game here too. People of all ages can play it. Your one busy lady, that's for sure; but it does sound like you have a very fun job! :)

HI to GARY & BOOTSIE ~ and all our MIA's too ...

Have a wonderful weekend and keep warm ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
01-30-2011, 09:21 PM
HI GALS ~ :)

Angie and I are waiting for dinner to be ready...chicken, veggies and sweet potatoes :) Earlier I made cheese enchiladas to have on another day this week, it is hard for me to put the 13+ hours of work and commute in and have dinner ready at a decent hour. Planning!

A nice week-end here although I did not get a lot of rest. My daughter came by yesterday, just after Angie and I made a last minute Costco run, then my nephew came about 3 minutes later. Nephew had to print out a bazillion papers for his NAVY testing and my kiddo was puppy sitting her husband's grandparent's dog...the dog needed to RUN!! with mine in the backyard...it was tired of being cooped up in my kiddo's condo :D

I had to usher at church this morning and Angie had bells, my son/dil/GRANDdaughter still in belly came :D She loves to hear the bells play...only 7 more weeks :carrot: ;) Angie and I actually picked up an Easter dress at Costco...for 2013 :D It was a really cute one with polka-dots :)

Pator was picking on me again today before service about my Raiders football team too...he has nothing to talk about with his Vikings this year :D

My weight was down for 2 days in a row to 192...hoping it continues that way. I was stuck at 195 for a very long time...but then I wasn't doing a whole lot to fix it either....:(

On a good note the nephew killed the leftover pizza I had friday night, was saving it for lunch on Saturday and Sunday with a piece for work on Monday too...nope...he wiped it out :D Probably a good thing for me ;)

Well Ladies I will see ya all soon!

Be Good :)

KatsMeow78
01-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Hello all, I am new here but not new to the weight loss game. I am in much need of support. Please pray for me as I have had many health problems and just had a hysterectomy so my hormones are all out of whack and it is really messing with me. Feeling very depressed. I have lost 60 pounds in the past but have since gained it all back. I need lot's of encouragment please:) Thanks so much.

bargoo
01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome KatsMeow and good luck. Praying that your health will improve.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
:welcome: KAT ~ sent up prayers for your health tonight; sure understand what your going through (sudden menopause). Depression is one of the symptoms of MP; eating some soy products may help you a bit -- have you tried them yet? Have you a plan in mind? Maybe just start slow; making a few small changes at first. Walking is a good place to start for exercise too ... :D

KatsMeow78
02-01-2011, 12:46 AM
:welcome: KAT ~ sent up prayers for your health tonight; sure understand what your going through (sudden menopause). Depression is one of the symptoms of MP; eating some soy products may help you a bit -- have you tried them yet? Have you a plan in mind? Maybe just start slow; making a few small changes at first. Walking is a good place to start for exercise too ... :D

Thanks so much Ladies. I actually still have one ovary but it sure does not seem to be working too well right now. Can't eat soy due to my thyroid disease but will soon be beginning a hormonal support program and looking into bioidentical hormones too.:) Just going to start walking daily to begin with.

ronni62
02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi, All!

:welcome2: Kat and I'll keep you in my prayers! The whole meno-thing does do a number on your body, as I'm sure the surgery did too.:hug:

AuntLoopy-Praise for God's miracles! Sounds like you have a wonderful job and just the personality to go with it!

Rosebud- Are you as tired of snow as I am? 6 more inches last night and it's still snowing and blowing! Thanks for all your support too-it helps a lot! I'm down 4 pounds from this time last week!

Gary-Do NOT mention the Vikings!! This was as bad a season as I can remember and my Bengals didn't do any better:( Thank goodness it's almost Daytona time!!!:D We just upgraded DH's tv to a new 47" HDTV (never had one before) and now, of course, have to get the satellite upgrade to actually HAVE HD:dizzy:, but he's gonna be in 7th heaven for the race season this year! And, I got to get new cabinets to hold that new tv and all his stereo components, etc, because the tv wouldn't fit on the old one;) Good planning on my part, huh?

Bootsie-yep, I have to do Dad's final taxes-he worked up till the day he couldn't walk anymore (which was 5 days before he passed). He didn't make very much, so basically, the 'estate' is just filing to get the refunds, which my sister and I get to keep. Won't be much, but, knowing my dad the way I did, he wouldn't want the government to keep it:lol:

Well, we're not doing a thing today, as the snow has us homebound. DS3, of course, doesn't want to do schooling if the PS kids aren't doing it, so we'll just make it up later. All the taxes are almost done, but had to take a break-all those numbers and questions make my head spin:spin:

Hope you're all having a good day and staying warm! ttyl!

AuntLoopy
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi all! Welcome Kat! I'm going through the change right now (earlier than most folks, and faster too). My DH says that it's like I got stuck permanently in PMS -- I'm very emotional all the time, prone to highs and lows. Hold onto the Lord, and we'll all make it thru.

I was shopping yesterday, just planning to pick up a few things, and ended up in a counseling situation which kept me away from home and food from lunchtime till mid-evening. (This is the problem with wearing "work clothes" on personal errands, but my mom encourages me to do it, because it's both free advertising and the source of evangelistic opportunities. Of course, her denomination doesn't require quite the fancy attire that mine does, either!) Around 4:00 I realized that I was going to crash unless I ate something.

All that I could find was three chocolates from Christmas which were in my car's ashtray. Normally this would have been a "forbidden food" for a diet, and I'd have to either get sick from hunger, or end the discussion early, or think for the rest of the day that I was off my diet and anything goes.

But I prayed hard and stayed calm. I'm doing Weight Watchers, which is really flexible, so I estimated them at 2 points each, and mentally made some adjustments to dinner in case they were more than that.

As it happened, when I looked them up on the Net later, I'd guessed exactly right. And if I hadn't, I had some leeway.

I stopped at the market on the way home, and arrived at the house to find that a gallon jug of Tampico juice drink which I'd bought for our youth group movie night on Friday had sprung a leak. At the BOTTOM, of course! I turned it upside down and saved about 3/4 of it. I put most of it in 1-cup margarine tubs in the freezer because the fridge was full. (Keep this in mind for later in the story.)

Hubby got home, we were putting the groceries away, and the lights went out! Because we didn't want to open the fridge, we had a candlelight dinner of room-temperature precooked taco meat on diet bread, fruit, and raw veggies with salsa from the stuff that hadn't gotten in the fridge yet. Put the rest of the perishables in the car trunk till the lights came back on. Discovered that putting taco meat on bread is actually a good points bargain at 8 points for a HALF POUND, and diet bread is 1 point while tortillas are 2. So all in all, I ended up with points to spare at the end of the day.

Enter the Tampico (again!) A couple hours later, after checking the points online (3 points), I decided to put a couple containers down in the fridge for drinking later. When I looked in one to see if they'd actually frozen, I discovered that the Tampico had the texture of Italian ice. Decided to try one, and it was amazing. Possibly the most delicious thing that I've ever eaten with so few calories (79). And so this was another blessing -- a low-calorie frozen treat for $1 per *16* one-cup servings!

So it's decided -- no more diet candy! I'll just eat one or two of the individually wrapped good stuff. I felt so satisfied -- they were comforting for the soul and emotions. And Tampico water ice whenever I want something frozen instead.

I feel very blessed, as if God is keeping my emotions balanced while I learn to live in a new way. I know that I couldn't do it on my own.

KatsMeow78
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Rosebud! Just finished taking down another 8-inch snowfall. It took 3 hours to dig the DH out so that he could go to work, and while I was in the house changing into my clericals -- the snow plow came and blocked the driveway again! *LOL* Anyways, I was due to work a morning shift, and it's almost 11 a.m. so the powers that be told me to just stay home. I dug out a path for our poor dachshund -- he's old and swaybacked, and has about an inch of clearance, so even a slight snowfall wreaks havoc on his self-imposed duty to walk the perimeter every day and scare the birds in the brush pile.

Bolo toss is one of a set of coordination games for the elderly and disabled that you can buy as a set which costs two hundred dollars or so. Supposedly you can make something like 20 activities from this kit, but we mostly just play bolo toss or horseshoes.

A bolo is two balls with a cord between them. In the southweastern United States, Native Americans used them to capture wild horses and other long-legged animals. You grab the cord by the middle, spin it around your head a few times, and throw it at the animal's hind legs. They get tied up in it, and fall over.

In theory at least.

Our bolos are soft rubber balls with an elastic cord, and the goal is to throw them so that they catch on a miniature football goal post. It's something that can be done indoors with no damage to the furniture, and only a few bruises to the activities staff members. The residents like it best of all the stuff from the kit, largely because they enjoy watching us bounce around on one leg and try not to cuss.

Like children, our residents seem to get cabin fever. Even if they weren't going out anyway (and most of our residents never get further than the rose garden or patio), they are nervous and cranky when there's precipitation and dark skies. Getting them involved in something physical helps a little.

A normal day of activities at our facility (which houses five different populations: independent living for seniors, assisted living for physical and mental disabilities, an Alzheimer's ward, a skilled nursing ward, and a hospice wing) includes manicures or haircuts, exercise sessions, movies, musical performances, religious activities, field trips to the mall, etc. The activities staff puts on about 15 activities in different areas daily. I'm in charge of religious activities, which include three Bible studies for different levels of mental capacity, facilitating two Sunday services (Protestant and Catholic), holiday services, individual visitation and counseling, and family counseling. We do our best to be more than a warehouse or a place where people are hidden away to die alone.

It's really a place of miracles. The Bible study in the skilled nursing area (which includes staff members and residents from the nursing and hospice areas) is a strong prayer group where supernatural healings happen regularly. One afternoon, a staff member came into the TV room (we weren't having Bible study, but I tend to hang around in that department just spending time with the patients) saying that her mother had been taken to the hospital in another city with severe heart failure. I collected as many Christian residents and staff as I could, and we anointed the staffer with oil as a proxy for her mother. When I saw her the next week, she reported that her mother had been instantly healed at the moment when we were praying for her. The doctors in the ER had described it as "impossible".

So anyway, I have the world's coolest jobs (nursing home chaplain and youth pastor). My icon is me wearing a "crazy hat"...something which we give away to anyone who comes to the nursing care center Bible study twice in a row. (The Independent Living Bible study attendees get pink monkeys with a knitted hat and scarf -- don't ask!)

You sound like such a wonderful person. Thanks for sharing. you made me smile and God knows I needed to:)

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ we been having some wonderful weather way up here; the temps have warmed up over the week and we have had :sunny: every single day too! That is so nice during this time of year; and it is supposed to warm up even more over the next few days as well. Just finished vacuuming; then had a shower and am waiting for my hair to dry, so I decided to come in here for awhile.

Went shopping earlier this week to pick up the basics plus veggies, fruit, and lean meats too; got some good deals as well. Picked up some SALTLESS nuts and dried apricots for snacks. As long as the nuts are saltless, I can count them out and not eat too many, but the salt on the other kind is addictive so I have switched. Our local grocery store is now stocking a nice supply of dried fruits and saltless nuts.

KAT ~ you have a very nice smile; and your avatar pic is lovely.

HI RONNI ~ :congrat: on losing those 4 lbs ... good for you; see it was just a matter of time. We haven't had much snow over the last week; we have been blessed with :sunny: instead which I just love in the winter. We may get a little over the next few days, but no storms, just a small sprinkle which isn't too bad. Glad things are going so well for you all.

AUNTY ~ "All things turn out for good to those that love GOD" -- Romans. An accident that turned into a blessing; indeed! Glad your hydro is back on, esp during this time of year ...

PRAYER REQUEST PLEASE ~
DH was visiting a friend and came home with some sad news that a couple of men who lost their jobs had taken their lives: we hope it isn't true, but just in case it is, I am going to post a prayer in the PRAYER WARRIOR's thread for their families there. We also prayed that others will not panic and make that same bad choice as their families are only left with heartache for the rest of their lives.

Suicide doesn't solve anything; and it should NEVER be an option for our problems. People must reach out and support each other; help each other in whatever way they can (money, food, etc); encourage each other; counsel each other; and pray for each other too!

We are going to suggest they start an emergency fund to help those that can't even access the UI funds to pay their mortgages and utilities, etc. I have heard this done before in other places. They say the Plywood Plant tried to use a new type of inferior wood to make products and it didn't work, so the workers were laid off for 7 weeks -- they were supposed to be called back this month, but nobody has heard anything yet.

People need the LORD in their lives so they can have PEACE and HOPE during good times and bad. Thanks for your prayers ... Rosebud

AuntLoopy
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi Rosebud and everyone,

I'm so sorry to hear of the possible suicides. Losing a job is awful, especially in this economy. If there's anything that I can do from here to help the families, please let me know.

Today was a funny and amazing day. First, I went to work and found that the facility was without electrical power except for the emergency generators which provide minimal lighting and such essentials as oxygen delivery.

The funny thing is that I met the activities director (my nominal supervisor on-site) in the hall and I jokingly said, "Let there be light!"

And the lights came on!!!!!! One of the perks of my profession, I guess. ;)

The power had been out since before dawn, and while the nursing care patients were getting partial meals, the optional meal delivery for Independent Living residents was cancelled. They're supposed to keep a stock of food in their apartments, but who thinks about it? So there went my stash of pre-WW junk food, and good riddance! This plus a few extras from the grocery store helped people to survive till dinner time.

All in all, it was a happy day filled with friendship and love. So of course I went to my Weight Watchers meeting expecting a bad report from the scale. The whole day couldn't possibly *ALL* turn out well, right? And last week, which was my first week on WW, my weight loss was totally attributable (down to the last ounce!) by the difference between my casual clothes and shoes, and my work clothing. I dress lightly at work because nursing homes are always overheated, and my work attire is summer-weight cotton blend clericals year-round.

Anyways, I got on the scale and -- I'd lost 6 pounds! Wow! My best guess is that because eating better has enabled me to lessen my medications, this enabled some of the side-effect weight to go away all at once.

I got some frowns from the meeting leaders when I mentioned God as the reason why I'd lost the weight. Duh, I was sitting there in my funny collar...to Whom did they think that I'd credit this miracle??? I was nonetheless glad that I said it. I'm in WW because I'm on a mission from God to retain my mobility and to improve my health so that I can continue to serve Him into my old age. I'm not ashamed to say it, and people need to hear it too.

Sometimes I realize that I really do live in a different universe than non-believers or even casual churchgoers.

Anyways, I am still shaking my head and wondering what I did right. It was a great boost just when I needed it, after a challenging week when staying on the program was almost impossible because all kinds of wacky stuff kept happening. So I can only thank God for knowing what I needed, and when I most needed it.

EZMONEY
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Prayers everyone...I will catch up this week-end!

ronni62
02-03-2011, 03:25 PM
AuntLoopy-:bravo: on 6 pounds lost! That's wonderful! Just keep giving praise to Whom you know deserves it;) It always amazes me how many people refuse to believe how God can and does work for us (both non-believers and believers:?:).

Rosebud-prayers sent. Very sad situation and I sure hope what you heard were just rumors and not truth. My mom has attempted suicide several times in my lifetime and I just sincerely believe there's nothing so bad that should cause a person to make that decision. Hoping your weather stays nice for a bit-we're very cold right now, but supposed to start warming up into the mid-20's F tomorrow.

Gary-Hope you're getting enough rest time. Take it easy on those CA roads.

Not much going on here. Had a bad carb melt-down yesterday and then had BLT's for supper, so I'm feeling the puffiness today, but drinking lots and lots of water to clear it all out. Too cold to go anywhere, but will have to go to town tomorrow, as we rescheduled haircuts and doctor appts for then due to the snowstorm and really must get some groceries too.

Have a great evening, everyone and God bless!:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
THANKS, AUNTY ~ "ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE TO HIM THAT BELIEVES" -- Mark. I am not surprised at all! In order to see miracles happen, first you must believe. Great way to share your blessings; and all the junkies that needed a new home. :)

:congrat: on losing those 6 lbs! WOW, that's a lot! That is why journaling is so helpful: you can look back and see what you did. This time, it may have just been a combination of things, but in the future a journal can be a great reference tool ... :D

YES, RONNIE ~ I totally agree; will send up some prayers for your mother concerning her mental health issues too. Well, I spoke too soon; we did get a bit of ***** storm today; still have the blowing winds from the south and flakes of varying sizes on and off all day ... :lol:

HI GARY ~ tomorrow is Friday; just one more day ... TGIF!

Today was laundry day for DH's clothes; I stayed home and did things around here while DH did some running around, and bill paying: he likes to do that -- it gives him something to do! ;)

We had fish & chips for dinner tonight; I had baked sole & sweet potato fries; and DH had his favorite English battered fillets & fries with a bit of chicken gravy. That was accompanied by a coleslaw salad with sliced cukes & tomatoes too.

DH is listening to a set of Bible audio tapes that he picked up for a song at our local thrift shop. Nicely done in a story form with lots of sounds and stuff too. Hope you all have a FABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
STOP!! :)

and go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/224730-christian-encouragers-february.html