LA Weight Loss - January 2011 Chatter_LAWL

View Full Version : January 2011 Chatter_LAWL

Joni135
01-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Sure, let the least active member start a new thread! Jillian - I keep thinking about how great you have done....and really, it sounds like a lot of common sense - exercise and eat right...I'm sooo tired of all the gimmicks that I told myself I was going to follow the Jillian plan (only I'm not a vegan, so it's your plan with my kind of food). I've got a cruise coming up in March, so my goal is to work out almost everyday (either an hour spin class or 4 miles on my DREADmill). So far so good (8 miles logged)....I also realized this weekend that work has made me fat :-). I have not been the least bit consumed by food this weekend....no grazing at the fridge and no crazy cravings either.

Not sure if Nicole is lurking, but how you doing??????

Julie - when is your surgery date? It's got to be soon............

Hi to all the others.....I'll chime back in as time permits.

juliemarie
01-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Joni-my surgery is on the 18th . . .i'm so ready to just do this. The waiting/worrying is driving me nuts. Christmas was a good distraction but now that it's over-my brain is on overdrive.

Kimphin
01-03-2011, 09:18 AM
JM - it will be here before you know it!

Joni - I am back at the exercise thing too. Me and the other 300 new people at my gym. Except now I am one of "them" too (haven't been in a month or more, starting over with all of the new year resolutioners.)

MomOfThreeTeens
01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
:newyear: Happy new year everybody!!! Time to kick this extra weight, again! SHeesh! LOL At least this time I'm way ahead of where I started originally so thats a plus! I did TO right before New years eve, I think people thought I was nuts but I decided I wasnt waiting on January 1st to get my butt in gear! I'm seriously tired of not feeling good, again! Dangit! LOL So my goal is to get healthier and skinnier will follow! Good luck everybody!!! :cheer:

JLem311
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
good morning all! Joni--thanks for the nice words, i'm vegetarian..don't do much vegan anymore with X, but yes..the key is good food and exercise--CONSISTENTLY. :) i've got some new goals for myself this year that involve running, i've made a schedule for myself that is 10wks long, so i'm excited to see what i accomplish by then.

nicole, has been pretty busy with family, holidays, kids off school, etc. etc...you know her ALWAYS and FOREVER busy!

JM--maybe a good book while walking or a break at work would take your mind off of the upcoming surgery? either way, super excited for you!

Kim--you're not one of "them!" ;) so what that you took a month break..it's not like you haven't worked out in a year or more like most of those people. stick it out and see who's left in the next few months. see if you can OUTLAST them all!

i hope more people start to check in and at least say hi. i'm sure they will since, afterall, it is January--the time of "starting over"..but it'd be nice to hear from a few old-bie peeps.

anyways..i've got a busy baby running around in only a diaper--her favorite! she goes nuts-o when she's naked. :) (actually, i should stop calling her that since she'll be 2yr old in a few months!)

hope everyone is well and i'm happy that my pics/story/journey have caused inspiration! i've got a pic in my profile that shows a good deal of my progress. i can post more if anyone would like to see more.

JLem311
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
hi Kim--good to see you!

katiedoll
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
good morning .
today is my start again date,was off all through the holidays which is ok.cause today is a new day
I am on plan 1 with lites and I do have one question if I do not want to take lites what do I add on to daily plan? thought maybe a P and a S ?
Happy new year!! heres to healthy eating and exercise!!

MomOfThreeTeens
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Jillian, you look amazing chickie!!! What an inspiration!!!

juliemarie
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Katie-If you don't do the lites-the general rule is to jump up a plan.

Kimphin
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Kim--you're not one of "them!" ;) so what that you took a month break..it's not like you haven't worked out in a year or more like most of those people. stick it out and see who's left in the next few months. see if you can OUTLAST them all!

I guess I should have qualified my comments by saying that I don't pass judgement on the resolutionists, but dang it, that parking lot is FULL! On the other hand, I do feel better because I know that I am more comfortable working out than they are!

Nice profile pic too, Jillian. Great color on you.

Welcome Katie - Julie Marie is right, go up a plan if you do not do the lites. I am not well versed in the plan differences anymore, but they might be on this forum somewhere....

Kim numba 2!!! Good to " see" you again!

BarbaraB
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Kim, It seems like the bulk of the resolution peeps are gone by 3 weeks into the new year. I heard that about 20% of them actually keep their resolutions and become gym regulars. My DH has counted how many spin classes he has done all these years that he's been coming with me, and it is over 500 classes. We keep each other going, as if it had just been me, I likely would have stopped at some point over the last more than 4 years.
We went this morning and it felt good.

I got another cortisone shot in my foot, and I'm hopeful that helps me get over this problem so that I can be more active. I really missed out on the hiking this last summer! I think we only managed one short hike and normally we would go many times and on much longer hikes.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2011!

JLem311
01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
hey all..so nice to see people stopping by to post!

here's a few of my tallies for last year:

2010 year in review:

TOTAL WORKOUTS DONE: 178 (kinda sucky considering there's 365 days in the year)
TOTAL POUNDS LOST: 48.2
TOTAL INCHES LOST (OVERALL): 20 inches

Kimphin
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Pretty impressive stats Jillian

Hoochie
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone! Just checking in. I havent got on the scale for quite a few weeks now but I will soon. Since January 1rst, I havent eaten any junk food, its been pretty healthy for me. I havent been following a food plan, just eating healthy food! Last night I did have a rum and coke, its just sounded tasty but thats has been my only downfall. Actually I usually feel gross after I drink pop so maybe I will give that up soon.
I am hoping that 2011 is going to be a fantastic year!
Good luck to everyone with their goals. I wish all of you success!!!

Joan

MomOfThreeTeens
01-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I've had a fantastic day, back to work today after Christmas vacation. All the secretaries went to lunch together, everybody at the table got cheeseburgers and french fries....besides me!! I had a grilled chicken caesar salad! WOOO hoooo! I was quite proud of myself!!! Sorry I just had to brag on myself! LOL :carrot::carrot::carrot:

BarbaraB
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Kim, Good for you for making a better choice!

Joan, I go through phases of giving up soda, and then some sneaking back into my life (free soda in the lunch room and you only have to press the button on the pop machine to get it and they have several diet selections, so it is really easy to slip back into drinking that delicious diet doctor pepper).

guineverenj
01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Guinevere, G, for short......I am a veteran QWLC client from about 16 years ago when they had centers in NJ...
I have used this "diet" over and over to maintain weight throughout the births of my 2 sons....and since it's Jan, it is time to re-start. I hope you dont mind my joining your thread! What I love about this diet is that you can re-start without going to a center, I just follow the old plan, purple, I think they called it most recently and am always able to get the weight off. However, this time I am 43 and I dont know how easy it will come off....it sure went on easy enough! lol...
I like to check this site daily to keep me motivated and share progress and frustrations........glad to find some active members! I am done TO and ready for today, the first day of my new eating pattern!! Happy New Year!

Hoochie
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Barb- not only pop but I have started drinking tea instead of my lattes every day. This one is tougher though. I know coffee isnt bad for me but it also doesnt have anything good for me in it so I am trying different teas. Its not too bad!!! Tea has so many health benefits.

Hey Jillian, I read your new workout blog, that is just amazing! You are definately a role model for all of us!!!!

Joan

katiedoll
01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
where would I find Jillian's workout blog? would like to read it

Kimphin
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Happy New Year everyone. Back in the saddle again, so to speak - I gained about 3 lbs over the holidays (too much prosecco!), but they are gone now - bye bye!

I've been trying to ease myself into getting up earlier in the AM to either use our elliptical at home or drive the 2 minutes to my gym to take the 6am class. I am sooo not a morning person, but I like the fact that the gym is less crowded...

Anyway - good to see all of the posts! Hope everyone is doing well.

aguerin
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Hello chickies and HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2011

Welcome newbies - G, etc. Thanks for joining our chat. You will find great advice and support here.

Hoochie - I gave up diet soft drinks last Dec 24th and haven't seen one lb shed from it. I do feel like I have accomplished something though. The problem with them is like Joan pointed out,they are so convenient.

Good Luck with the Surgery JM: I am wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Kim: Motherofthree: So good to see you again. Welcome back. We need a new pic. NO getting by with that one that is 2 years old (or so).

On the Exercise Front. I have ordered an Eliptical (16 Dec), but it still has not shipped (3 weeks). I am hating the waiting and anxious to get something started in exercising. This has been a short coming in my WL journey. I can't do the gym thing. I have to have too much flexibility and I get bored so easily. I know excuses, excuses.

No set goals for me this year yet. Will see when I get the Eliptical and my vacation planned and then I will set my goals.

Note: I have got to get back down to my ticker weight so that I am not lying. I just can't adjust it until I try a few days to get it back down. :grin:

Hoochie
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Well I braved the scale this morning and I have to say I was really disappointed in myself. I knew my clothes were feeling tight which is why it took so long for me to get on it. Even though I have started my year healthy, I really need to continue on my journey.
I am going to start TO tomorrow to get me jumpstarted again. Its a new year and a fresh start!
Have a great day everyone! Cheers to healthy eating!

BarbaraB
01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Joan, They say the average person gains about 8 pounds over the holidays, so if you didn't do that, you are ahead. I tried to talk myself into getting on the scale this morning but my DH came up with coffee before I could manage to rally myself out of bed. Its hard to find a private moment to weigh myself, as my DH is a morning person who can't wait for me to wake up and talk to him, and I won't weigh myself in front of him. Its sweet of him to bring me coffee each morning, but really it is because he wants me to get up.

Amy, Ellipticals are such a great choice. It has to be the busiest time of the year for the exercise equipment manufacturers. So I'm sure they'll get yours to you soon. I took a few weeks off from exercising recently and was shocked that after just a short time my blood pressure was already getting out of hand again. Even just 2-3 times a week that I do manage to do makes a huge difference for me healthwise.

craftydoodle
01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey all, I started unofficially before New Years, and then officially New Years. I was told to start on program #3 but didn't understand the new LA diet #'s so I am doing the old colored diet plan (red) if that is not right, would someone please let me know. I want to do what is right with what I have. The info I have I bought from Ebay a few years ago. It was all in a folder (all plans included, all food for each plan, carb cravers food, frozen food list, restaurant list, etc). I just hope I can stick with it this time. I am watching my mother die from overweight health problems and I don't ever want to be in that situation, ever.

Fitme11
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this thread, but not new to the site and LAWL. I decided to order the new materials from LA to your door, eventhough I was mad at the company for how things were handled when they closed. This really is the only program that worked for me.

Now I'm 41 years old and back, I am sure the process will be slower this time because much has slowed down. I did the program almost 10 years ago, lost 35 lbs and kept it off for about 4 years, then life happened and I fell back into my old ways.

I have a personal trainer, because we will this Shape Up Challenge on Jan. 11th. That was my Christmas present to myself. I want to get this extra weight off and keep it off. My goal is to start the old 21 day boost that we used to do on January 17th, just to see what kind of kick off I can get to motivate myself to continue on. I have about 40 lbs to lose.

I am going to try out the K-Swiss Tubes crosstrainer shoes. I got the Reebok Zigs and I love them. I think crosstrainers are going to be the best for the type of workouts that she has us doing.

I could not remember my old screen name and password to get my old name back, but I remember some of you all from before.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you all!

Joni135
01-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi all..so cool to see the old regulars....

Welcome newbies!

I gave up diet coke in November 2009 because I figured it was rotting out my inside and I read that drinking diet soda was making me fat...Well, guess what, I'm a good 10 lbs heavier this year. Blame it on age (I'm 53), but I feel I can say that diet sodas do NOT make us fat..... not working out, eating junk, and not planning our food each day is what makes us, uh, height challenged!

Julie - Jan 18 will be here before you know it!!

Jillian - thanks for sharing your log and stats.....I commend you! Even with a sore back and old achy muscles, I have managed to log about 25 miles in the last 7 days. Not too shabby, but I was aiming for 28.....Consistency is key!! I've also learned I have to shut this darn computer off and JUST DO IT. I'm typically a morning work out gal, but had to work out a few nights and let me tell you, I slept the best I have in ages! So this may be my year to mix things up....

Atlanta is expecting yet another major snow fall (3-5 inches) on Sunday; they are already cancelling flights and will probably shut down the schools on Monday.....I better get my healthy food tomorrow morning before all the shelves are cleared out! Night all...........

Joni

JerseyMadchen
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
G- where in South Jersey are you from? I was born and raised in Collingswood, then lived in Haddon Heights for 2 years before moving to VA with my husband's job...

Hellp guys! I lurk sometimes, just nothing much to say! School and work pretty much all that's going on! My new thing is workouts OnDemand... they're FREE and I don't get bored.

Happy New Years guys!

guineverenj
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Jers,
I am in Wash Twp, Gloucester County but I grew up in Marlton. I started this diet over 10 years ago and since it is the only plan that you can start over year after year, I always come back to it. I do try to follow the plan all the time but I have one of those metabolisms (and my love of wine and good food) that every year I end up on a strict flow of weeks!
I have to say that 6 days into it I am missing my wine....I will eventually substitute a glass for one of my fruits but for now I will drink a green tea.....ohhh, this is hard today! With the snow outside, the warm fire and NFL playoffs, it is no fair that January is diet month! Just needed to vent!!!
I have about 15 solid pounds to take off this time.....and it all came on since Sept!! ugh..

JerseyMadchen
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
G- small world! I was devastated when the centers closed! Mine was in Cherry Hill. I'm an Eagles fan, so I feel you on the football eating! I'll send you a pm with my info..

Joni135
01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi JerseyM...lurk away...I do when time permits. I need to check out those workouts on Demand.....thanks for the tip.

lonnettej
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Hello Everone,
I am new to the site, I havent dont LAWL since 2007 and I was on the red plan, and i really want to start 2maro. Do yall think i need 2 do the 2 day fasting?

SassySarah
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi. I am new too. My name is Sarah. a friend of mine got me started on her old LAWL plans so I googled it and found this site. hope you don't mind my crashing in. :) I just started looking the info over and haven't really committed yet. I could use all the support I can get. Nice to meet you all. I am hoping 2011 is my year to lose.

zambejaly5
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Hey strangers? must be January everyone wants to lose weight! Happy New Year.

Hoochie
01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Its great to see a few faces that have re-appeared again and welcome to anyone new. Even though I am no longer going to the centre, I still like to come to this site for support.
We all seem to commit a bit more in January which is great. We all have the same goal!
Barbara- I didnt gain 8 pounds over Christmas so now you made me feel better!! I did gain 4 pounds which I havent added to my current weight showing. I just don't want to put it up there!!
Been drinking more tea and quite enjoying it. I bought a blueberry green tea and its just delicious. I find it curbs my appetite after dinner for sweets.
Well we have stormy weather this week in Calgary. Today with the windchill, its -28 degrees. I would rather be at home than at work but I am going on vacation soon so I can't afford to not be at the office. I am going to Palm Springs in January and really want to shop. I leave in a week and a half so 4 pounds off would be terrific.
Well I gotta run.
Have a great day everyone!

Joan

juliemarie
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Lonette-Takeoff is a good way to start and curb the carb cravings. It kinda sucks but it's not horrible. Look at the sticky thread above for newbies and there is a lot of info about doing it with grocery store items. Good luck!

Mama Nicole
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Friends :)

It has been a while since I last posted.....as Jillian said...life has been a complete whirlwind for me. Since I decided to take it upon myself to help populate the world, my playtime is short..and seems to be getting shorter by the day. Oh well....I can say that I am lucky in love...it is all around me :)

I am still working out and eating well. I did slack off a bit over the holidays, but nothing crazy or depression worthy. It is so nice to be out of that place in my brain. I know I am in control, I know I am striving for good health, and I am no longer a victim to the fat girl in my brain. I do not have real impressive stats......but the gradual downward trend if my friend, and my fitness

Mama Nicole
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
level is increasing. All of these kids of mine have driven me to stick with the gym.....it's one of the few hours I get to rest my thinker. That is the draw for me....that is what keeps me going. I didn't realize it for a long time....but I am happy with the revealation. Hmmm, is that how you spell that? Reveal.....will google later. I submitted my post before it was done cuz I was afraid my battery would die b4 I was able to plug in. I hate it when that happens...poof.

Anyway, glad to see everyone is doing well. I have missed you all :) Thanks for nudging me on FB you nudgers.

Ok, time to put a couple of these tiny creatures to bed now. I will try and check in tomorrow ;)
XOXO

Hoochie
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Nicole- Its so awesome to hear from you. It sounds like you have grasped onto a change in your lifestyle.
Its funny, I was looking at some pictures from just 3 years ago when I went on a family cruise. I can't believe how thin I was. I think I was only 15 pounds lighter than now but it just made such a drastic change.
I have placed the photo on my desktop so I can look at it every day at work. I am hoping it will encourage me when I am having down days.
I am not seeing any weight loss this week but I know it will come. I have not been eating any junk food since the New Year.
This afternoon I am heading to the organic store. I am hoping to find some healthy snacks. Right now I have been snacking on fruit and almonds but I need a change.
Well, have a great day everyone!

Joan

JLem311
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
very proud of you Nicole! :) i'm jealous of your kid-free gym time! but nonetheless, i still drag X down to the gym with me regardless..i just wish i didn't have to, for her sake mostly.

good to hear from people. hope everyone is treating their bodies well.

BarbaraB
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Joan, I am down to only 15 pounds more to lose too. It seems so close, but the last pounds come off way harder than the first ones do, so you have to expect it to take some time. I'm thinking I can reasonably do it in 3 months. There is a company meeting end of March in Dallas, so I'd like to be at least close to my goal weight by then. My foot is finally feeling better, so I'm hoping that upping my activity level will be what is needed to get the scale moving down again, since the scale stalled out and the foot being bad happened at the same time. I'm afraid to do too much too soon though.

Nicole! I saw the pictures on facebook, your tiny ones are getting bigger! All great looking kids though. Its so great that you take the time to exercise and have a bit of time for yourself. You need the break and the exercise, and overall I think it will give you more energy when you get home. I know when I exercise regularly, somehow I need a bit less sleep... as when I don't exercise, I sleep 9 hours a day, so for me it is a net gain.. an hour of exercise 3-4 days a week and I only need 7.5....

Mama Nicole
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Jillian :)

Barbara......girl.....I feel so bad that your feet aren't cooperating. Mine are a little bit better, but still............if I am not very careful, and if I don't stretch every single day....ow. My insoles really have been the best help I think. How is your daughter?

Mama Nicole
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh, Joan....how is your daughter? And did she ever go through with that piercing? My oldest, who is 20 now has her belly button pierced. I think it is so gross...but she loves it. any reason for her to add more sparkles, and she is happy. Apparently she has a tatoo now too, but has not mentioned it to me yet. I don't mind tatoos on anyone else, but I don't want them on my or my peeps. Oh well....just one more of those mom letting go lessons, right?

BarbaraB
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Oh Nicole, a belly button ring is so minor... and really most of the kids seem to get a tattoo these days. My daughter has been through a very rough year and a half. Her health remains sketchy, but lately she has been slightly better and has regained some weight. All the way up to size 4! ha! Its been a rough time for all of us. Just not knowing if and when she will get better and be able to work and not knowing what has caused all her symptoms. Its really hard, even if you can afford to do it, to support another adult completely. The resentments tend to build.. on both sides. Since she doesn't want our input on her decisions, but we have to pay for a lot of them.. so it is hard to not say anything.

aguerin
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Good morning all. Its good to see all the familiar faces who are just checking in and have been lurking. We miss you.

Welcome more newbies. This is the place to be for all your WL questions.

Soooo we got hit with about 6-10 inches of snow Monday and it shut the South down for 2 days and cost me 2 days of vacation and not to mention the comfort food eating. I came back to work on Wednesday.

Still no eliptical. No weight loss to report here either, but no surprise. I have to find some motivation somewhere. I guess I should start looking for it. LOL

Hoochie
01-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Nicole- Yes my daughter got her nose pierced and now she also wants her belly pierced so I will probably be booking that appointment soon. What can I say, my son has both his ears pierced and now wants a tattoo. His girlfriend has a really nice tattoo that goes all down her back like a vine. Its really nice actually.
I suppose if I had a cute little tummy maybe I would want my belly pierced too. Right now I would scare everybody away!!! haha
Well my DH and I are starting our workout tonight. 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 of weights and squats. I guess I have a buddy now at home so thats awesome!
Well have a great night,

Joan

Mama Nicole
01-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Joan.....my DH and I go to the gym together quite often. He is one of those jerks that start going to the gym and lose any excess body fat they had in 4 weeks.....starts showing definintion right away......can cardio for hours....blah, blah, blah. But, I have discovered that I am pretty tough myself :).....just have this extra layer around everything that hides a lot of my progress. Ha. Good for you for working out a plan. We have tons of fun at the gym.

We have been working on our house like crazy lately. It is good, cuz so much of this work needs to be done...but everything else sure is suffering....say the laundry mountain that has grown arms and and mouth and laughs and tries to grab me when I walk by it.. It is not easy being a construction worker housewife/mom. I love it, but it can be a bit frustrating.

Ok, have to run....the kids have today off, and my DS, Andrew, who is 6, informed me that he has Monday off too, "cuz it's the King's Birthday." Ha!
XOXO

SassySarah
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey there!

I posted a few days ago, but have been so busy, I couldn't come back! I was able to finish reading thru my friend's stuff and I started yeaterday. I am dying to jump on the scale, but will wait til tomorrow am.

Jillian-you've lost so much weight, that's awesome! You're very inspirational!

Nicole- My bff has 3 kids uner 5, so I know how hectic life can be. Kudos to you for going to the gym! And your weightloss is great too! Skinny minnies here!

Hoochie- it's nice that you have someone to work out with. I'm single right now, so I'm jealous!

aguerin- that's a lot of snow for AL!

I've worked out yesterday and today with my wii fit. I know that doesn't seem like much to you major exercisers, but I was sweating!

Have a good weekend! I cant wait to report m loss!

baj1016
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
What's your favorite on plan recipie? I am looking for something to add to my menu. I have been eating Mexican chicken pitas and burritos and throwing in some fish or a filet every now and then.

juliemarie
01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm so ready to just do this. I'm got tons to do so that's nice-it's a great distraction and is tiring me out. Every now and then I'm slammed with the reality of the situation and freak out a bit. I'm nervous and I'm sure I'll be a mess in the morning. I just hope I made the right decision. I waited until today to explain things to my daughter (4)-not sure what she really understands. She told my mom on the phone that i'm going to the doctor to have my tummy made smaller. ;)

So yeah-I think I've got everything I need, the house is quite clean so my mom won't have to do too much, and I'm pretty sure I got work sorted out so they don't need to ask me anything for at least a couple of days.

Now i'm going to go update my netflix queue and maybe mop the floor . . . hopefully you'll be hearing from me soon.

Hoochie
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Juliemarie- I hope your surgery goes well. You are doing something positive for yourself. I'll be thinking of you!

Today I started TO since I didnt do it last weekend as planned. I havent eaten much today but I feel really full. It's strange this time. I have been drinking the knudsens nectar mixed with water in place of the TO juice and I am feeling so bloated!
Tonight is an awesome green salad and some chicken with broccoli..yummy!
Okay gotta run.

Joan

JLem311
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow JM! Good luck! :hug:

As for me..I'm still holding strong at 153. No biggie though..still plugging away at my workouts, eating, fitday tracking, etc.

Welcome to the new peeps, it's good to have you!

BarbaraB
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Jm, I guess you probably already had the surgery. I hope all is well.

Jillian, Reading your attitude towards what the scale is doing helps me to be more patient with my own weight loss journey. 153 looks pretty good on you though, so I can understand how you are just fine being where you are. When I really think about it, I'm so much happier having lost the weight I already have(again!) as I do sleep a lot sounder (no snoring) and I do think it is better for my bad feet to have less weight on them.

Hoochie
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow Jillian, Would I ever like to weigh 153!!!!!

Today is day two on TO. My DH is doing it with me for the first time. He just sent me an email at work to tell me that his lunch was amazing and really healthy too. He said he didnt think a lunch that healthy would taste so good!!!
I may have a changed man!!!!
I think its taking time to find new recipes that are simple and fit into my lifestyle. I have been trying all kinds of new recipes and its been kinda fun!
Can't wait to weight in tomorrow to see how this TO did!!

Joan

Kimphin
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm so ready to just do this. I'm got tons to do so that's nice-it's a great distraction and is tiring me out. Every now and then I'm slammed with the reality of the situation and freak out a bit. I'm nervous and I'm sure I'll be a mess in the morning. I just hope I made the right decision. I waited until today to explain things to my daughter (4)-not sure what she really understands. She told my mom on the phone that i'm going to the doctor to have my tummy made smaller. ;)

So yeah-I think I've got everything I need, the house is quite clean so my mom won't have to do too much, and I'm pretty sure I got work sorted out so they don't need to ask me anything for at least a couple of days.

Now i'm going to go update my netflix queue and maybe mop the floor . . . hopefully you'll be hearing from me soon.

JM - Sending out all sorts of positive vibes and cyber-love to you! Hope everything went OK and here's to a speedy recovery- I'm so happy for you!

Kimphin
01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
OK, so we had a snow day yesterday, and I didn't know it - came in to work without even a thought of checking the TV! I stayed for about an hour and got some stuff done, then headed home. Luckily I only live about 5 minutes away. Idiot.

Everything is going well, although slower now that I have started working out more. That always happens to me, so I am not freaking out. Too much. Well, maybe a little ;) Seriously, though, I am always happier working out than not - I am lucky in that I build muscle fairly quickly so I tend to see results after a short time.

Barbara - I am sleeping better now too. For a while my DH was quite unhappy that I was snoring, and I don't anymore - of course, HE DOES! (totally not weight-related for him) He is driving me insane with the snoring - he has a deviated septum and all sorts of allergies, plus now he has a cold. Ugh.

We used to work out together too, in our home gym. That was fun - but then I got hooked on classes, so I go to a gym, which DH is not into. When we worked out together it was good because we made each other do it. The only pain was that we had to do out cardio at seperate times, so someone had to go first, then workout together and then the other did cardio. That took up time.

Kimphin
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
BAJ - I always liked the tilapia recipe from Cassie, and the beef and potato casserole recipe- I did a search and found them both:

Found the tilapia recipe:

I also recommend the Horseradish Parmesan Tilapia.

1P, 1/2D, C

The amounts are kind of a guess, since I do this by eyeballing it. You could also grill or broil the fish, but I like the brown coating that the garllic powder gives when it's panfried.

1 Tilapia Fillet (size according to plan)
Cooking Spray
Morton's Lite Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Horseradish Sauce
1 oz Kraft Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan

Spray skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.

Place fish on paper towel and pat dry. Sprinkle each side with Morton's Lite Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder (maybe 1/8 tsp each side of the garlic powder and onion powder, a little less for the salt and pepper).

Place fish in the pan and cook until the sides start to become opaque (a little less than five minutes).

Spray the top of the fish with the cooking spray and flip the fish. Keep cooking for another five minutes or so. You will know the fish is done when you insert a fork in the thickest part and it flakes. If you aren't sure how that should be, try putting the fork in the side where you know it is done. It should feel the same way in the middle.

Remove fish to serving plate. Drizzle horseradish sauce on top, and top with parmesan.

Also, I like Boars Head horseradish sauce, or some other "saucy" kind. I have found the Kraft to be too much like mayo. It's too thick to get all over the fish.

Kimphin
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
OK, here's the other recipe: When I used to male this I used frozen shredded potatoes instead of fries - lower in fat, cals, and sodium.

I haven't tried this one yet but it was a recipe makeover from the la chef online

Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef or lean ground turkey breast
2 cups shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
cup 1% milk
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium mushroom soup, undiluted
1 (20 ounce) package frozen French fries

Preparation:

In a skillet brown the beef and drain excess fat.
Stir in the cheese, milk, and soup.
Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange French fries on top.
Bake uncovered for 50 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the fries are golden brown.

Makes: 8 servings

Serving size: 1/8 recipe

LA Exchange: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Fat, 1/2 Dairy, 1 Condiment

Kimphin
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
OK, and my final post of the day - just a reminiscence:

While searching for the above recipes, I was noodling through the threads from our groups "Glory Days" - and realized how many people I have "met" on these boards (pre-facebook era) and would just like to thank all of you for being a great support system for me throughout these 4 (!) years. I still prefer this board to posting all sorts of stuff on FB, I dunno - I guess I like our little world here better. Anyway - thanks to all of you - old and new - for the support, even now that we are all on our own plans.

PS - The January 2007 thread was 80 yes, 8-0 PAGES LONG! Holy cow, we talked a LOT back then!

BarbaraB
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Kim, Wow! we'll be lucky if this January we have 8 pages. It used to take more time to read the posts, that's for sure. I guess with LAWL petering out it is kind of amazing the forum keeps going at all, except for the awesomness of those who post, which is why I keep coming back. I need support to keep fighting the beast that is obesity. Since whenever I don't fight it, the beast wins and steals my happiness and health.

I was really embarassed that I snored like I did... and that losing weight had stopped that curse and then I gained enough back to have it back! And every 5 pounds more seemed to turn the volume up a bit. You don't realize how bad the impact was until it is gone. My mom said her memory is much improved after she lost over 30 pounds on weight watchers, and I think it was the stopping snoring for her too, since when you get good sleep you just feel so much more energetic, and less likely to think that that pack of oreos just might give you the energy to make it through the afternoon.

I managed to get back to gym to spin class this morning. It is just harder the first few weeks of January, since it suddenly is crowded, but the crowds seem to be dying down quicker this year. My DH and I have been going to the same classes with the same group of regulars for over 4 years. It helps to keep you going if someone is going to notice if you don't show up. Skip one or two classes and the next one is killer, and today was killer.. so was Saturday... Its been harder since they cancelled about half the classes a few months ago, so if you don't make Monday, there isn't really one for Tuesday.

Mama Nicole
01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
JM....I hope you are resting somewhat comfortably with lots and lots of pain meds :) Recovery is so difficult with a little one. I am sure you have prepared a kick a$$ support team to help with Josie. I cannot WAIT to hear from you and know that all went well :)

Kim...Kim.....Kim....we had it going on back in 2007, didn't we? I think none of us did much work back then...it was more like a chat room than a forum. Good times, good times.

All new ladies....jump right in. This is an awesome board. If noone repsonds to you, it is merely because they are sneaking in two minutes between real life tasks. If you stick with us, you will be happy you did.:)

Jillian....you are super hot at 153. I was just thinking today that you really do need to set a goal number. More on that later :)

Ok, must go......phone is ringing off the hook.
XOXO

juliemarie
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey chickas! My surgery went well and I should go home late this afternoon (I hope!) The pain meds work well and the only real trouble I had was that I didn't sleep until just a little while ago. My cpap works great at home when I'm sleeping on my side-however, I guess the pressure wasn't high enough to keep my airway open while on my back. It was a horrible night-no one could adjust the machine (only my sleep clinic could) and I ended up crying uncontrollably and yelling at a cna at one point. I could only doze and would wake up every minute or two.

So-they upped the pressure and i just took a little nap. Now I'm having the best chicken broth I've ever had in my life! ;)

Kimphin
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
JM - so glad to hear that things went well. I hope that you were released and are now resting (and sleeping!) comfortably at home.

Nicole - I am not sure that I am getting any more work done now....

Barb - I noticed that the gym has been less of a mob scene lately too, although our weather here has been total cr@9 this past week, so maybe that is keeping them away. My gym has a 12 week "biggest loser" thing going on, but there are staggered starts to it, maybe people are waiting to sign up for the Feb starts.

I tried cooking fennel for the first time last weekend - I liked it. DH even liked it. I also made bok choy, which I liked and DH did not. And so goes the great veggie experiment. Up next: turnip greens.

aguerin
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Chickies. Still lurking around.,

Not much to report for me, other than I am planning a trip to Key West this summer, but I don't have dates set yet. I guess this will be the motivation that I am looking for to get focused.

JM: Congrats on having the surgery behind you. Good Luck with working the program.

Still no Eliptical. I got some notice that the one they promised is not available so they offered me a replacment, but will probably take another 1-5 weeks for shipping. UUUGGGHH. Do I wait or spend the $300.00 myself to get it sooner?

Kimphin
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Amy - I was only in Key West for one day, but it was a blast!

BarbaraB
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Amy, Wow, still no elliptical? 1 to 5 weeks is quite a range, what's up with that? Where in heck would it have to be to take 5 weeks? Like not built yet maybe or in China? I would love to visit the Florida keys. I guess that is a whole lot easier when you live closer. Summer in florida does seem like a time and place where you'd not want to be well insulated with extra pounds.

JM, I'm glad that the surgery went well, I think we were all just a tad nervous for you. Its almost impossible to not get emotional when you are sleep deprived, so you are just human. My grandma always said that hunger is the best sauce, so that broth probably had that sauce all over it. Do you have to have an all liquid diet for awhile? What happens now? How fast do they expect you to lose? From TV shows I've watched, it appears that the first couple of months after the bipass that the weight comes off quickly.

My DH called me skinny yesterday... LOL! It did make me smile and made me feel like I'm making progress.

juliemarie
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Barb-I am on a liquid diet for 3 weeks and then I transition into soft/pureed foods. So for now-I'm just trying to heal and get out of the first 2 weeks okay (this is when leaks would happen-and that would be very bad . . ) Once my body heals-i should lose fairly quickly from the 6-9month time period. Average weight loss is 50% of excess body weight -but i sure hope for more!

It's going okay right now-I'm really sore and uncomfortable. Sleeping is a challenge. The meds are nearly as good as the stuff in the hospital. I'm not feeling hunger yet-not sure when that will return.

BarbaraB
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
JM, How different to not feel hunger. I guess that is the magic of the bipass. Hopefully the pain starts rapidly dropping off so that you can rest and feel much better here soon. Oh my gosh, leaking sounds very bad. That would be very motivating for me to stick with the liquids. I just would not want to take the chance. I'll say a few prayers for your swift recovery.

Linn C
01-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I have been a member on LAWL since 2007. back going strong again.

Kimphin
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Welcome Linn C! Glad you are doing well back OP.

JM - Do they doe the surgery laproscopically (sp??) - that should take a little over a week to start feeling better. Are you going to do any progress pics? It's going to be a really cool 9 months for you!

More snow here today - we had a 2 hour delay, but I came in on time anyway - I was up and ready, so I just hopped in my trusty Murano and mushed over here. Well, my workout this afternoon will be MORE shoveling.

juliemarie
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Barb-the whole "not hungry" thing has been a blessing-but it's not the standard post-op feeling. The hunger will return at some point. So-I'll embrace it while it lasts. I worked hard to get my fluids and protein in yesterday. Managed almost 80 grams of protein (largely due to protein powders) and almost 600 calories .. ..

Risk of a leak is why my mom is here with me 24/7-i will need to get to the hospital immediately if I start showing any symptoms. When someone dies due to WLS-it's almost always due to leaking. Other complications can occur-but they are usually easily fixable.

Kim-i forgot to take a pic right before the surgery. I should do that in the next couple of days. And yes-it was a laproscopic surgery-I have 6 incisions. I feel quite good if i take the pain meds-just a lot of soreness, tenderness and pressure in my upper abdomen. i'm not supposed to be bending over at all-though I have to some degree-just very carefully. And i can't lift over 10 lbs for several weeks.

I'm jealous of all the snow! Since I'm stuck at home anyway-it would be awesome to have several inches of the white stuff!

aguerin
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
JM: Your journey will be very interesting to us. Keep us posted often. You will probably need to take a pic very quickly as you would be surprised at how fast this will start to shed. I have had two friends in my life that have gone with either the gastric surgery or the lap band and lost it quickly at first. I think I would have trouble with the whole liquid diet thing. I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well.

My elipictal was a selection gift for my 15 years of service award for the company I work for so its not like I call them and demand my money back. LOL . I just don't understand why the place they were getting it from waited until the 5th week to notify them they couldn't get them anymore to offer an alternate item. You would think they knew it sooner. So that started the clock ticker all over. :o(

Its the weekend and I am getting refocused. Scale is showing it again so I am back in the zone. I don't have a goal weight in mind for tTe Keys, but something around 140ish.

Welcome Linn. Join in at anytime and good luck on your WL journey.

Mama Nicole
01-22-2011, 10:07 PM
So happy to hear you are well, JM. I was worried about you. I still am, but I now you are in good hands with your Mom there :) I am suprised a resp. therapist couldn't help you adjust your CPAP machine. When my Dad was in the hospital we had a couple of excellent therapists that worked with his CPAP, masks, pressures, etc. until he was ok. In any case....glad you are home and able to keep your pain under control. Is Josie home with you too?

I made the french fry casserole tonight for my family. I forgot just how yummy it is :) Thanks for the reminder, Kim :)
XOXO

Mama Nicole
01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot...I made these sticky buns from the food network website....i posted a picture on FB...anyway, I figured out on the weight watchers website tonight that they are 23 points EACH...or just under 1200 calories a piece. Darn good thing I only had 1/8 of one yesterday!

Hey, where the heck is Joni?

JLem311
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
just thought i'd stop on and say hey and it's good to hear that you're doing well, JM. :) can't wait to see pictures!

where's kim #1 (TN kim, not NY kim) i can't remember who is #1 and who is #2..

anyway..welcome to Linn and the rest of the new peeps that have been stopping by. chat away!

Joni135
01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey, where the heck is Joni?
I'm here Nicole....just busy and trying not to sit in front of the computer too much! Plus, nothing too exciting to report on the W/L front! I just need someone to come slap some sense into me. I'm good for two weeks, and then lose my mojo.....BUT, enough about that!

Kim - I actually have that tilapia recipe on my fridge...I'll plan that for dinner tomorrow! I hear the northeast is having some super frigid temps...hope your Murano can keep up with the cold!

Jillian - I wonder what goal Nicole has planned for you?

and finally, JM - thinking about you and hoping you get stronger each day.

SassySarah
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Hello~!

Its been a few days, kinda fell off hte wagon a bit this weekend, but i lost 5 lbs last week. I might have celebrated too much! oops! Thats ok tho, dinner tonight is a sweet potato recipe from the Cook Yourself Thin show. Anyone watch that?

Nicole- kudos to you for stopping at an 1/8th of a cinnamon bun! I would have gobbled down 3 before stopping for air! You have great self control! I keep seeing hte weight watchers commercials with Jennifer Hudson and am curious. Are you a member online or do you go to meetings?

juliemarie- glad to hear you're doing good. It will be exciting to see some of the weight come off!

linn- Hi! I'm new too! Do you have a center near you? I got the info from a friend. I wish I could go to one. I was thinking of weight watchers for the accountability.

Kimphin- that's cool that your trying different vegetables!

Amy- that's cool that your company gave you an elliptical. I'd be so excited and anxious to finaly get it.

It's cold here in OH! The good thing is work is slow because people dont like coming out in this.

JLem311
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
good morning all. i'm FINALLY down another pound this morning. i like that i lose slow because i keep it off, but dang..it sure is slow. that's why i'm pretty confident i'm not setting a weight # because there's just no telling where i'm going to end up.

hope everyone is having a good start to their week!

aguerin
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Sassy: thanks for chiming in. What do you do in OH that the weather is keeping the peeps out? I'm like you on the gobbling down the goodies. I can wipe out a half dozen donuts before coming up for air. So I have to avoid them.

I'm doing o.k. on the diet front. At least I am eating somewhere in the neighborhood of where I need to be. I need to try some new thing though. My veggie snacking is getting to repetative.

katiedoll
01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi all
Well have been to slack so back at it, I gave myself a goal of 10 by April 2 .I know that I should reach it sooner, but I like giving extra time so I feel good about hitting goal sooner, or just happy about getting it done by the 2nd.
I am checking out cooking yourself thin never heard of it before and it looks like it has a ton of recipes that would work for LA.

I need to find some casserole recipes so that I can make for my family instead of all separate dishes so i can calculate, if anyone has a fav recipe please share.

it is alot easier I find since I can go on here and get my questions answered or see that I am not alone with following LA that others run into same problems.

BarbaraB
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Nicole, I worked out like a fiend and decided to splurge with a meal at jack in the box... without checking the WW points before I went. An egg and steak burrito was 22 WW points and the hashbrowns were another 8! Yikes! and I can't claim to only have ate 1/8 of it. I did calculate that I had burned off over 1700 calories in the gym before I got overly hungry and went straight for the drive through. Still, no wonder the scale is not moving much for me lately.

Katie, I have a goal of 14 pounds by April, but I'd settle for 10. Heck, honestly I'd be pretty pleased if I could just lose 7 pounds by then and the 14before memorial day. I don't know if that is lazy or just realistic. I suppose I could starve myself and see the scale move faster, but then I'd likely not be able to keep it up for long and quit, so I'm going for the slow and steady and for the rest of my life plan.

Sige
01-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm back on track after being away for awhile and thought I'd stop in and say "hey" to the chatters :) *waves at Nicole*

Hope everyone had a good day!

Joni135
01-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah for Jillian - down another......
Sarah - never heard of that show, but it sounds neat "Cook Yourself Thin show"

Good day today; even opted for a chicken breast at Outback while DH devoured huge steak, baked potatoe, etc. Baby steps!

almsthere
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Introducing myself...hello. I'm back from a yr long stint with a chiropractor and not losing ANY weight despite the many restricitions I was put on. Sigh. So discouraging. So I'm returning to what I KNOW works..if I can just stick with it.

The scale hasn't moved. I started TO 2 weeks ago,, was strict about it. Felt better, muffin top less bloated. Junk cravings got to me. Oreos. Love 'em.
Can't keep em in the house. I caved and bought some for my kids. I ate the whole row over a course of 24 hrs. I'm soo embarassed.

I am on purple without lites. I am motivated to get this spare tire gone. I have a wedding, in which I am a bridesmaid in June, and the dress is hanging in my closet. Anxious bride wanted them purchased before CHRISTMAS!!! Anyway, I got the size that currently fits but would look ah-mazing with a better defined waistline. :)

I will try to read up on everyone but I am not sure how often I will be posting. I have 4 kids, 2 in school, (3pm is bedlam here) and 2 at home. Trying to enjoy my last boy at home this school year. Kindergarten in the fall all day. Whoo hoo! My baby girl, 2, and me all day. Hooray for shopping, lunch and tea parties. Also considering another pg so need to lose this weight so I can be healthy!

JLem311
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
hey all! just wanted to stop by really quick, in between all of the chaos and post a link to a blog that i was featured on for my weight loss efforts!

http://awtr.blogspot.com/

BarbaraB
01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Amy, I got a watch for a 15 year anniversary gift just a week or two ago, although I hit 15 years back in March. I guess watches are easier to ship, since I got mine really soon after I ordered it.

Jillian, It is really great that you have a forum to celebrate your great success. It was like you were carrying a larger woman on your back every day being 168 pounds heavier.

almsthere, What's your name? Or a name you wish to be called if you are shy about giving out too much info online.

Joni, There are lots of worse things to eat at the Outback, so chicken breast is an excellent choice. How are your dogs? I've been getting obsessed with getting another dog, although my DH forced me to promise that we would go "a long time" before we got another one. Its been years. That's a long time isn't it? Plus is it really a promise if you badger someone to agree? I was very tired of dealing with a sick dog by the time my dear dog passed, as he was awfully sick for a long time and I didn't really realize how much of my time was spent nursing him until he was gone. Plus I did go and get a second cat, and now the cats rule at our house. I do really like the cats, but they are not a dog... Now just to decide what breed of dog to get.

Sarah, I do think if you are going to be successful at weight loss, most people have to take up cooking and watching what they add to their recipes. Restaurants are mostly hazardous to your health. So I guess we all have to cook ourselves thin to some extent.

Hey Sige, I remember your face. Its been awhile.

JM, Are you doing OK? Did you take a picture yet. Its been a week already.

Joni135
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi Barbara - my dogs are great, although I have to say our 3 year old boxer, Beau, is having a cardio (ultrasound) on Thursday. He's my baby and I'm nervous to hear the results...Boxers are just known for having so many health issues...I wish we could be the exception. I will always have dogs as long as I can afford them and can take care of them. I like cats too, but my dogs mean the world to me....unconditional love, don't talk back, personalities, etc. But, I'm happy that DH feels the same was as I do about them...

Gotta go read Jillian's blog!

I went to the gym tonight for the first time in a long time. I've been doing cardio at home, but this was weights and squats and lunges and my body is screaming!! Early to bed tonight after popping a couple advil!

juliemarie
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Barbara-I left my camera in my trunk and my car is at my brother's house-he's fixing my brakes and since i couldn't drive-it was a good time to do it. So-I'll have a 2 week post-op pic but most likely I won't have lost much weight (even though I'm only taking in 400-500 calories/day). The body has to heal before the weight will start coming off-it's sorta in a state of shock at the moment! The weight really starts coming off (I'm generalizing of course . . .) at 3 months out. Basically at the time you can start to eat normally (as in no more soft/pureed foods). By that time you're getting in an appropriate amount of calories and grams of protein to really start losing.

I'm doing better every day and expect to be given clearance to go back to work after my 2 wk appt. Eating is still more of a chore and not particularly enjoyable. Other people's food smells wonderful and I feel the urge to chew something now and then-but it's not driving me crazy. I'm already ready for the liquid stage to be over though!

For crying out loud-Josie turned off all the lights in the house and I'm being blinded by the monitor. I need to go and figure out what's going on!

aguerin
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Morning Ladies. Nice to read all the updates and chatter.

Well the big Eliptical finally came yesterday and I am proud to say that I spent 1 hour and 34 minutes on it. Whoo Hooo. Course the Hour and 30 minutes was assembly, but I have to take baby steps right? Didn't realize it was going to be so hard. But now I have no excuses for not exercising. Am ging to work towards 10 min sessions.

Congrats on your recognition Jillian. I will have to try to view pics when I get home as they are blocked at work.

No goals for me just yet. I have to bond with the elipctal before I can commit to anything.

almsthere
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
down 2.5 lbs. Whoo hoot! I am not too timid to say my name online: Terri although I will hope no one from real life reads me spilling "it". LOL

Angie
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi all!

I don't think I've check in here yet in the new year, so happy new year to everyone. :)

JM -- I'm so glad to hear everything is going well post-surgery. It must be nice to have your mom there to help with Josie and to look out for you. I can imagine you'd be getting bored with your liquid diet.

I took a little unplanned break from losing weight in December. We went on our Disney trip (fabulous, best thing we've ever done!) and I was sort of on plan, but had gained 7lbs by the time we got back. Lost about 4 of those by a week or so after, but gained them back again over the holidays. I had a really hard time taking a break and then getting back into my routine of healthier eating. Lesson learned for next time...if I'm going to have a break it has to have a clearly defined beginning and end.

I had my gallbladder out last Friday and had some crazy weight loss ups and now downs following that. The good news is that I'm back at my pre-vacation weight..hovering 1lb above the 50lbs lost mark. I'm still following my high protein, low carb-fat-sugar, plan.

Kim -- Are you still using IP? I was cursing you just moments ago for posting that cheeseburger casserole recipe, darn-it, you made my mouth water, I LOVED that recipe. Yes, I remember joining this group in Jan 2007 and I could barely keep up with all the posts at the time, the board was flying then.

Joni -- I hope Beau's ultrasound is all clear. Is there something that makes you think he might be ill? Has he had any symptoms?

BarbaraB
01-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Joni, My next dog is going to be one that is expected to live a long time and not have a lot of health problems, since it is so hard to see them sick or lose them. I hope your baby is just fine. My last dog was a Shar Pei and they are not the healthiest dogs.

Terri, 2.5 pounds is really great!

Angie, I hope you are having a quick recovery from the gall bladder and that you are not bothered by anything after the surgery. Although I do have to say that my one girlfriend who had hers out and then could not eat fatty foods without it bothering her has been super thin ever since.

JM, I suppose with what you lost before you had the surgery any before pictures would be from before that really. Not that the before is all that important, but we all love to see dramatic transformations, and I have a feeling you are on the cusp of having one yourself. I'm glad you are feeling better every day. Only 2 weeks off work is great for such a life changing thing. How nice that the sun has decided to shine for you so much when you are off.

Amy, I was amazed that you did the hour and 34 minutes on the elliptical, and then I read the rest! LOL! I think if you start slow you can talk yourself into doing it since who doesn't have 10 minutes and how bad can 10 minutes be. I need to start using ours more often. I'm considering making an appointment with myself to do it.

Joni135
01-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Angie - thanks for the good thoughts on Beau. Yes, he's had symptoms including wobbly legs, pale gums, lethargy, etc. He's also peeing a lot. it's not diabetis, so we are checking tomorrow for a common dog ailment, cardio myopathy. I'll keep you all posted on tomorrow's findings.

Barbara B - I believe the dogs that last the longest are mutts! Boxers, unfortunately, seem to average 7 years (although I know some folks that have had boxers for 13-14 years, but these are usually the European breed of boxers (they are shorter and thicker than ours, which are American boxers).

Bedtime!!!

Joni135
01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, I love reading the Women's World magazine in the checkout at the grocery. This week's article had a fairly simple diet plan....Eat 400 calories at each meal and eat 3 meals a day. Yes, that is only 1200 calories, but if you make them smart cals, you should do fine. How simple is that ladies....Can we do it????????????

almsthere
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
You know, I was trying to figure out how I lost the 2.5 lbs. LOL :carrot:

I think the fact that I ate a little bit, frequently thoughout the day, like my kids do, helped the scale move.

It also helps to not deprive myself..and try to work "healthy" choices into my menu without a full blown carrots and celery, boring meals etc. That makes getting healthy boring.

I've mimimized my stress with my family of origin; set boundaries and maintained them without guilt or attempts at manipulation. I am also going to bed earlier than i usually do.

JLem311
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
a quick hello--just wanted to say i'm down a few more ounces again and almost to an even 151! :) whoo! and when i hit 150, i'll officially be in the "healthy" weight range for my height. something i haven't seen since high school..i think.

hey angie, sige and terri! nice to "see" you again! it's also great to see everyone else posting on a more regular basis too! let's get this thread a' hoppin' again!

Hoochie
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Well I am back from visiting my parents in Palm Springs. It was really hard to eat healthy there as my Mom did so much cooking and baking. We did lots of walking there but not enough for the calories that I ate.
This weekend, I am going to sit down with my son and plan the weekly menu. He is starting a 12 day wild rose cleanse and told me that I have to change my cooking for him for 12 days. This isnt such a bad idea I guess. I am not going to do the cleanse but I am going to try and follow the menu. I did some shopping while I was away and had to squeeze into a size 12 so I need to work on that!!
Anyways, I will try and catch up on everyones comments tomorrow.
Its good to be back

Joan

Joni135
01-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Woo hoo Jillian! Glad to know someone is reaching their healthy weight! I'm still trying.

Beau's cardio appt went well (he's a dog for those just reading this post). He has a very minor congenital defect called subaortic stenosis where the blood flow leaving the left side of the heart out the aorta is too fast and becomes turbulent, but they really don't think this is causing his clinical signs of weakness. Man, I wish this doggie could talk!

Off to bed....it was a long day at the vet hospital! I'm beat and so is Beau!

Angie
01-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Hey all!

I'm so happy to tell you that I reached my 50lbs lost milestone today! I am excited to think that just half a year ago I was 50lbs heavier -- when I began I really couldn't picture myself being here at this weight at this time. I still have a long way to go, but now I can see where I can be in another 6 months and it's got me pretty stoked!

Joni -- That's frustrating...good that they ruled out a more serious heart problem though. I think the 3x400 cal meals could work well, and maybe throw in something high protein (like a lite) for a snack now and then.

Jillian -- You are a big part of the reason I've stuck to my plan for the last little while. When I came back to this site last August and saw all that you had accomplished during my 3 year 'break' :lol: I was really ticked off at myself for not having stuck to the plan. You were such a glaring example of what I'd given up by indulging myself. So...long story short...thank you for being such a great example, it's really motivating me this time around. :)

JLem311
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Jillian -- You are a big part of the reason I've stuck to my plan for the last little while. When I came back to this site last August and saw all that you had accomplished during my 3 year 'break' :lol: I was really ticked off at myself for not having stuck to the plan. You were such a glaring example of what I'd given up by indulging myself. So...long story short...thank you for being such a great example, it's really motivating me this time around. :)

First off, congrats Angie on reaching a great milestone! :)

And secondly, THANK YOU. Thank you for the compliment and saying what you did. it's the support and comments like that, that keep me going too! yes, i do it for myself, but it's awesome to hear that i've inspired others. that's what keeps me going too because not only do i not want to disappoint myself my not being the best i can be, but i also don't want to let anyone else down who looks at me as an inspirational person or cheerleader for their weightloss efforts. (i have a friend who i'm her "coach" or leader, so-to-speak and it's awesome for her and me!) so thank you for telling me that. it means more to me than you think.
it seems as if lately, no one really cares about all of my accomplishments. i keep on "bragging" and/or telling people about my successes and i guess it seems "old news" to them and i should quit talking about it. well, i'm NOT going to quit talking about it! i'm still in awe and shock every single day. every single time i put on a pair of jean, see myself reflection in the windows at the gym, every time i pull a pair of comfy pants out of the dryer and think to myself how small they are and don't think they'll fit me, but they do. buying everything in a size medium..i still can't wrap my head around that and still look at size charts!

so not only am i an inspiration to others, it's what keeps me going too.

ok..i'm done with my speech. sorry!

i hope everyone has a good day and weekend. not much planned for me.

BarbaraB
01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Jillian, I think it does take longer for us to register and accept and process the weight loss than it does those around us. I myself debated for way too long at costco over whether to buy the large or medium panties, even though the reason I was buying them was due to major saggy butt issues with the current (large) panties of the same brand... Maybe I just stretched out the old ones... maybe the medium ones will be way too tight.... I don't need super noticable panty lines really... You'd think world peace was at stake, or a whole lot more than the 9$ for 8 pairs of panties... I bought the mediums and went home thinking, I'm not going to return them if they don't fit.. that's gross, but they were fine... As well as the medium sports bra, it was fine.. even if it didn't seem like it should fit. It did. I somehow had a bit of trouble actually putting it in the cart and I felt that the sales clerk was going to ask me who they were for... Since I have felt the need to tell sales clerks when I'm buying an extra small that it is for my daughter (and I do see them nod and have the I was really wondering about that look on their face).

OK TMI there probably... I also have noticed a gal that I work with.. she is literally tripping over her much too large pants since they are so big that they are hanging inches lower, but I don't think she can get her mind around the thought that a smaller size would fit...

The scale has not budged, but I feel leaner... I've been working out more and the scale is always stingy or just plain mean when I do that for a time. I'm going to try to eat fewer of my bonus points each week and see if that starts the scale moving again for me while I'm on Weight Watchers. I really thought I'd have break through after the holidays, but 1 pound for a month seems really bad... especially after it was 1 pound for the two month previous. Obviously I need a tweak somewhere.

Angie
01-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi all!

Jillian, it's my pleasure to share that with you. Whenever I think something nice about someone I try to make a point to say it out loud, or type it out loud to them, because I think we often don't tell people enough how much we appreciate them or what specifically we appreciate about them. I'm glad that it makes you feel good too. I love that you are celebrating your success, who cares if people are sick of hearing it, it belongs to you and you are entitled to celebrate it all you want! :D:D:D

JM -- How is your recovery going? I hope you're healing well and feeling well.

Kimphin
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
JM- glad to hear that your recovery is progressing quickly! And by the way – we want any pics, any time. I think you will be surprised at the changes we will be able to see, that you don’t.

Amy – Everything I read when researching ellipticals said that it too almost 2 hours to assemble them – and DH (I always mis-type that as SH – hmmmm) assembled ours in about 1.5 hours too – so I’d say you did well! The biggest thing that I have to pay attention to is that unlike a treadmill, you have to be aware of how hard you are working (mine measures in watts – not sure if all E’s are like that?) Actually that works both ways – I found myself going way to fast in my warm-up and then dogging it a little as I was getting tired. Now I watch the range of watts and go by that.

Angie – Yup, still on IP – but I have been inadvisably on and off since the holidays – and this isn’t really a plan you can do halfway. So, here’s to a total rededication to the protocol. Working out has slowed down my losses, as always happens. Sorry about the cheeseburger casserole! Potatoes are little white devils!!! Congrats on 50lbs!!!

Joni – The plan you read is similar to what my DH does when he follows “Body for Life” – he does 3 400 cal meals, 2 150 cal snacks (1500 total). Simple and easy to follow. He does well on it, but then again, he also does well when he decides limit ANYTHING - like for instance, “I’m going to stop drinking coffee” – and BAM, he loses 10 lbs. How I haven’t killed him yet, I dunno. PS – Hug Beau for me!

Jillian – Soooo not true that we don’t care about your accomplishments!!! I absolutely adore and admire you. Toot your horn, slap yourself on the back, and give yourself a round of applause! You are an inspiration and the best part about you is that you know it and have the strength to believe in yourself.

Barbara – your panty purchasing post cracked me up.

BarbaraB
01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Kim, I like pictures too. Well, maybe not of myself. LOL. But of everyone else they are usually good.

I have to report that I managed the rare feat of eating very light over the weekend. I allowed myself only half of the activity points that I burned off as extra over target and no bonus points(if you've done weight watchers that statement probably makes sense, if you haven't my apologies).

This is one of those weeks where I just don't think I'll be burning down the scales.. my birthday is Wednesday... I'll be 50. Kind of depressing really to realize that the AARP wants you. My DD turns 22 on Sunday, which is also superbowl Sunday. Luckily we are not planning a big party for the super bowl this year, but we did promise to take the kiddo out for dinner. We are going to take a short trip also.. and that is always harder to eat well when you go on a trip and eat at restaurants.. I do plan on being active though. We are planning a short hike, which I've not taken one in awhile due to the foot, so I'm excited to get out and see some great views as not being able to hike has been pretty depressing for me...

Kimphin
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Barbara - just in case I miss it tomorrow - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!