Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Coffee-Has giving it up made a difference?

Ruslana
01-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi,
Very new to this forum but I am trying to decide whether I should switch to tea as I've heard that coffee can actually contribute to weight gain and food cravings. Has anyone here given it up? If so do you feel it's made a difference in your ability to lose weight or do you feel its made no difference? I love coffee btw and don't want to give it up but I will if it will help:( I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!:?:

The Last Noel
01-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Several years ago I quit all the bad stuff and coffee was the first to go...not even for weight loss originally but for blood pressure reasons. I switched to black tea and my body responds better. The caffeine is just enough (about half of a cup of coffee) and I dont use sweeteners so my tea is ZERO calories in the morning. It feels like such an indulgent cheat too because I can buy any flavor I want and keep it zero calories without sweeteners.

The unexpected plus has been that my body has GRADUALLY learned not to rely so heavily on caffeine and instead derive energy more from my morning protein and greens.

Personal favorites are Yogi Green Tea Mint Garden, Bigelow Plantation Mint, Bigelow Pumpkin Spice (mmm), and most of the Twinings picks.

Hope this helps.

joyfulloser
01-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Coffee/Caffeine in moderation is NOT bad for you. There is no science to support any theory that says otherwise.

That said, anything done in EXCESS can be bad for you...and coffee is no exception to that rule!;)

BuxomPrincess
01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I was just reading "Eat This Not That" last night and they actually mention how a cup of coffee is good for you. They say it helps up your metabolism. I am a self admitted coffee addict. A couple of weeks ago I had a horrible stomach virus. Since then coffee doesn't taste the same to me so I've gone from 3-5 cups a day to 1.

I lost 65 lbs in 2005 and back then I drank a lot of coffee everyday and was still using SUGAR at that time....and let me tell you....I have a side of coffee with my sugar and cream!

At the end of the day, everything in moderation yet more importantly, do what works for YOU. Each of our bodies are different :) Good luck.

Vladadog
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I drink coffee every day. Mostly it is 3/4 or more decaf with just a bit of regular. I work the graveyard shift and nurse this "half decaf" through the night (till about 5am). It helps me stay alert and it especially helps curb the carb cravings that go with working through the night. On my days off I have a "half decaf" to start the day but that's more for the taste than anything else. I don't drink soda or non-herbal tea (I have tried to pick up the green tea habit but so far it hasn't taken).

GabrielleEmersyn
01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I was curious about this too, so thanks for the responses!

nelie
01-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I think the issue with coffee is those that use cream and sugar in their coffee. I drink tea but I drink it plain. A lot of people also drink coffee black.

JenMusic
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I drink my coffee black, so I've never been concerned about it from a weight loss perspective, but earlier this fall I did stop drinking it for about 8 weeks, as I was concerned by how dependent I'd become on it.

The short version - I started drinking coffee again by the beginning of December, and was happy to have it again. :) I love the taste (good black coffee, to me, is delicious and saisfying) and I am a much more pleasant, energetic person after my morning cup. I'm trying to stick to a total of 24 ounces (2 of my 12 oz. tumblers) a day, but that's not unreasonable.

Personally, the only positive side-effect for me of going off coffee was that I had no caffeine related headaches. As it is now, I occasionally get a headache on Saturday mornings, when my morning cup is delayed by a couple of hours.

Also, and in the realm of TMI (sorry!) my bathroom habits are much more regular when I'm drinking coffee. This is true even if fiber and liquid intake and exercise are the same, so the only thing I can attribute this to was the lack of coffee.

timkerbelle
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I stopped drinking coffee as I thought I could see a definitive link between my caffeine consumption and my cravings. I drink green tea - which does have caffeine in it - because I could never live without hot drinks.
I think everyone is different, but if you suspect it triggers cravings for you why not give it up for a month or so and see for yourself if it makes a difference?

Zofia
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I love coffee and would never give it up. I lost all my weight despite drinking coffee every day I jst do it in moderation.

Only downfall: travelling. not always easy to find a cup of (NORMAL!) coffee in some places of the world. So I got the headache.

tea2
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I find that coffee (more than one cup a day) increases my anxiety so I am trying to go decaf again...I'm at half caf now. That said, I'm a bit less hungry with the 2 or so cups a day.

Chrztina
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I just can't give up my morning coffee. I drink it strong with a tablespoon of Carnation Sweet Itallian Creamer. The creamer is 35 calories per serving and I measure so as to not go over.

The rest of the day, I've replaced my coffee with green tea. Sometimes I drink it cold, sometimes hot and always with fresh lemons.

I have not noticed any less on an appetite even though I'm drinking about 5 cups of green tea a day. Does it matter what kind of green tea you buy in order to get the full health benefits? Does anyone drink tea that is not bagged and then strain it?

dietaddict
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello! I skim these forums once in a while and thought I'd reply. I've gotten very heavy into tea lately, and before that, heavy on coffee. I do notice that tea or coffee increases appetite after the initial filling factor, but from what I've learned, it's because they are diuretics. If you drink water as well to offset the tea/coffee you should be fine. Like someone else mentioned, black coffee and plain tea help out with metabolism, so nothing wrong with enjoying your drinks just be light on the additions :)

CyndiM
01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I drink a lot of coffee, all black. My doctor is okay with that because my BP is fine. I never cut down through my weight loss or in maintenance. It certainly seems all the added calories may be the real issue.

goal4agirl
01-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone! I am a coffee lover. I drink it with sugar and creamer. I add the calories and apply them to my daily allowance. Drinking coffee actually keeps hunger and cravings down for me. My blood sugar levels, BP, and all other blood work came back completely normal the end of December.
I am going to try something new to try and lessen my coffee calories:idea: ...I'm going to drink my coffee using a smaller cup and use 1/2 of the regular amount of sugar and creamer. I will see if that will help me lose 2 Lbs. a week instead of 1 Lb. every 7-8 day's. :coffee:
It's worth a try:shrug::coffee2:

TapasLover
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
For me, giving up coffee, and caffeine in general, has made all the difference. I have very sensitive blood sugar levels, and a very high stomach acid tendency...so coffee in general caused a lot of "highs and lows"/ blood sugar crashes that would cause me to feel starving and eat eat eat.
I gave it up, along with some other things in October and have lost 17lbs since then. Do I miss it? Yes! I also miss my other first love, Diet Mountain Dew. Sigh. But I cannot have them in moderation, one cup or can leads to another... and thus.
I'd try it out and see if you notice any changes!

JoJoP
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I could never give up coffee! Not only does it keep me awake during the day, it suppresses my hunger so I'm not eating all the time.

Meg
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I lost 122 pounds in a year drinking a pot of coffee a day (black) so I can't say it slowed down my weight loss. And I've kept the weight off for almost nine years, drinking my beloved coffee. Same with diet soda. I gave up a lot for weight loss, but I'll never give up coffee and diet soda!

LeslieWendy
01-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Does it matter what kind of green tea you buy in order to get the full health benefits? Does anyone drink tea that is not bagged and then strain it?

I love my coffee in the morning with my breakfast, I have to have it. If I want to relax in the late afternoon/evening I have herbal tea. About half of the tea I own is loose leaf, I have a tea pot with a strainer in it to keep the leaves out of the water. You can also buy tea strainers or empty tea bags. I really like being able to mix my own tea blends with the loose leaf tea.

For green tea I have heard that yerba mate is supposed to be better for you, I like it with lemon. You do have to be aware of how long it steeps for, otherwise it will get bitter.

Patrizia
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I was wondering the same thing about coffee so I thought I'd skim through it! I'm a complete coffee addict (I have pretty awful insomnia, so I cannot get through the day without coffee every couple of hours)! I'm counting calories, though, so I figure as long as I don't overdo it on the cream (I never add sugar!), it should be okay. And for days I'm cutting it too close to the limit, I can switch to espresso - I find that a shot or two of espresso is much easier to drink black than regular coffee, and it has less caffeine so it's a good evening solution!

It's good to know that there are people who lost weight without giving up coffee, as I don't think I could ever haha! My father has always told me as long as I drink at least an equal amount of water for all the coffee I'm consuming (in addition to normal water intake), it should counteract any dehydrating and negative effects!

Also, like some people mentioned, I find coffee actually helps my cravings! At least for me, I have (had!) a tendency to snack while studying, so having a nice mug of coffee gives me something to "snack" on, in a way, without the calories of the things I would otherwise be reaching for!