Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #1  
Mel

Default January 2011 - The Next Decade!

The thread title sounds like the title for a Star Wars movie...sorry! Couldn't think of anything else!

My goal this year is to work on my "goats". We need a goat smilie!
  • Double unders
  • kipping pull ups
  • Knee to elbow (basically anything hanging from a bar that requires kipping!)
  • jumping DOWN after jumping up on box jumps. This really slows me down in WODS. I can do a 30 inch jump UP but have to step down even from an 18 inch box
  • eating clean on weekends

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for starting us up, Mel.

I'm still laughing about goats, and making my list!

I hope everyone had a good day!

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, everyone!

Well, the holidays are officially over. The tree goes out to the curb this afternoon. All Christmas gifts have to find their permanent home. The lights are coming down. (We're too far from the Midwest to do the whole lights-until-Easter thing, thankfully, although one of our neighbors didn't get the memo.)

I'm pleased to report that the New Year's Eve water weight gain is gone, too: 148.5 this morning, which is far enough under 150 that I feel comfortable changing my profile weight. Yay, me!

I've also revived the blog (see sig), so stop by if you feel like it. Today's post is on my experience w/ eliminating diet soda, which was one of 2010's resolutions and probably the first one I've ever successfully completed.

Yesterday was a leg day. Not much to report about it, though, it just ... was. No lifting for me today, although I may go to the gym for cardio. I may not, too: the gym was emptier than I expected yesterday, which makes me suspicious that all the New Years Resolutioners are waiting for today to start. Gym-based cardio isn't so much fun that I'm willing to wait around for 20 minutes for my chance at a machine.

have a good, day, all, and
//b. strong

Last edited by kaw; 01-02-2011 at 07:24 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello all!

I'm actually sad that I didn't get to workout yesterday but I was experiencing major soreness and then by the time I got a chance to workout, it was bed time so I went to bed.

Today I'll workout, something with kettlebells.

Also my husband mentioned that he wants to do a 10k, I told him he should do a 5k first. So we are going to look for one and I plan to join him in the 5k. For the 10k, unless I can find a walk/run one, then he'll be on his own.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #5  

Congrats on the weight loss, Kaw. That's great. There was almost no one at my gym today. The Texans must be waiting even another day.

Most of you are much stronger than I am but I want to brag about having done today 10 military style pushups, followed by another 10 on an incline. That's the most I've been able to do with good form, and one year ago I could do only about five modified pushups.

I also did 20 walking lunges (again with good form) while holding a stretchy band stretched out above my head. I'm learning how good form makes ALL the difference in the way an exercise feels.

For the first time today I did sumo squats then jumped from a squat position into a squat position onto a slightly raised platform. That was fun. I did about 5 of them then quit pressing my luck!

I did some fun things with the trainer. I stood facing a wall and he stood behind me, throwing a tennis ball onto the wall in front of me. My job was to catch the ball. Then he threw a ball with knobs all over it onto the floor in front of me and I was to catch it. I did well on the first one, but of course, the second one is impossible. But, it makes you run around a lot.

Have a great day everyone.

Rhonda
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy

Kim - congrats on ditching the diet soda! In addition to saving the $400, you've stopped putting some chemicals into your body! If you are missing the fizz, try club soda or sparkling water.

Rhonda - good job on the push-ups, I'm not there on the military ones yet. And isn't it fun at our age to jump from squat to squat. Makes me feel like a kid.

I haven't made any exercise related goals beyond getting back into a more regular routine. To that end I picked up both the gym's schedule for classes (and more importantly for when the local semi-pro hockey team uses the gym - times to avoid!) as well as the HS pool schedule. They have both 3x/week water aerobics, plus special lap swim time for seniors. I really have no excuses beyond making myself get there and do it!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #7  
Mel

Eh, yesterday's workout was a herd of goats! Endless double unders. Maybe someday I'll get more than 5 in a row!

Eats are back to normal, but my waist isn't!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #8  

Pat, yes, it is very cool to do those squat jumps. My DH has 3 year old GS and I could just see him doing those! So, yes, just like a kid, at 65!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #9  
Mel

We had to fill out short term, mid term and long terms goals at CrossFit yesterday. My first goal in each category was "Don't get hurt". For some reason, everyone thought that was hilarious, but I was serious. My big goal this year is to do some inter-affiliate competitions. The first one is in 3 weeks and I'm not sure I'm ready, but I may try.

Kim, I SO want to go skiing! I may take a day off in the middle of next week if we get the forecasted snow and head for the bumps called the Poconos The runs are short, but boy do I get good practice on ice and bad conditions! Some pretty steep and bumpy stuff too, but so short. DD and I are going to Breckenridge again in March and I really need and want to get out before then!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #10  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I don't see anything wrong with "don't get hurt." I've never found that to be as easy as it sounds, but I'm a klutz.

Monday's ski trip was just meh. We don't typically get the lake effect snow here, and we didn't get any of the snow the east coast had in the big x-mas storm. So, what little snow we had melted over the 54 degree weekend. Even with snow makers, only three runs were worth skiing -- meaning, they were only a bit icy and patchy -- and two were bunny runs. Fine for the kiddos, but I felt like an hour was about enough.

Lower body workout yesterday, cardio today. I'm trying to take things a bit easy to give my body a rest, especially my perpetually marginal elbow. I was hitting it pretty hard over the holidays. (I know, that's backwards. What can I say.)

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Happy Birthday Pat!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #12  

Birthday? OK, Pat, one pushup for every year

Happy Birthday!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/ See Ticker /133

Height: 5'1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, happy weight loss!
DiamondAries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/ See Ticker /133

Height: 5'1

Happy Birthday Ms. Pat!
DiamondAries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #15  
Mel

Hi Diamond! Welcome to our sandbox

Happy Birthday Pat!

Today I went to the strongman workout and played with Atlas stones. I'm no Atlas