Diabetes Support - January Chat

View Full Version : January Chat

Ruthxxx
01-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Good morning and welcome to 2011. I've never been much for NY Resolutions but certainly intend to be in better shape this time next year. I'll be 72 and have been darned lucky so far.

Managed to lose the 6 pounds I gained in December and am working on a few more for January. It's nice to know my house is purged of scary foods although there still is a lot of wine hanging around. I may throw away the corkscrew! :lol:

The last foodie event of the season happens today - the Mayor's NY Levee. I will stick to one drink - wine, not his sugary punch - and can definitely avoid the canapes. I'm "canaped out" and it's the same caterer as at the last two events! I'll eat lunch before I go, of course.

Monday, Donna and I are going back to the gym. I know the first few times will be really hard but also know how good I feel after. I don't know if it's endorphins or relief that it's over!

So what are you doing for yourself today? "If you don't have your body, where will you live?" :)

Lindyloo
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Happy New Year to everyone.

New year - new me, as I say every year at this time. Hasn't worked yet, but maybe this year.

Signed up for WW online yesterday, and will try that for a while. Not sure how its going to work, I guess I'll just keep it more to the low carb side. It sure has helped with my low BG since the doctor took me off that one pill.
Maybe thats what you need Ruth for your lows.

Stayed in New Years Eve. We were supposed to go out but DH was having problems again with his kidneys so we stayed home. Hope the doctor calls him with his appt. time next week.

Have a great day everyone.

pattygirl63
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Good Morning & Happy 2011 to all.

Lingyloo I joined WW online too. There is a thread for us here on 3fc if you want to join us. Also one for WW at home. I'm on both. I too decided that I can do low carb using WW. I think the Points + will make it so much easier to do low carb and stay within good calories.

Ruthie Sounds like you have good plan for today. No NY Resolutions for me. They never work for me. However, I do have a plan. I did make my goal of keeping the weight off for last year. I lost 27 lbs last year. And my FBG was 117 this morning. So I ended 2010 and am starting 2011 very well. I too plan to start exercise Monday. DH bought me 2 execise dvds for seniors so will have new material to work with.

My company is leaving in a little bit and things will get back to normal. I will be back on low carb as much as possible today. I had a low calorie slice of toast with peanut butter on it this morning and I'm working on a cup of coffee. The rest of today will be more low carb type, but not Atkins. I'm not planning on going that low this year since WW Points Plus is working so well for me.

Y'all have a great NY Day.

TTFN

fatmad
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Ruth: I am not one for New Years resolutions, but rather start things once I resolve to do them. However, I didn't stick very well to plan the last week or so, so will need to buckle down. The big deal is to get more active again. I was so pleased with how well I did skiing a couple of weeks ago, but have not done much since. Very little yoga, a little skiing. The holidays let me get off track.
SO, time to get back on track. If nothing else, New Years day usually signals the end of the holidays and allows us all to get back into routine.
so routine, bring it on!

fatmad
01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
so I made myself up a chart/checklist, for blood sugars, meds and vitamins, and water etc. I want to be strict with induction for a bit, and really get exercising. Today I went for a 30 minute walk, and have eaten on plan quite well, but didn't wake up until 11 am!. I guess I was making up for some of the insomnia I have been having. The hot flashes have been pretty bad lately too, but I haven't been having my soy milk because of the carbs. That affects the insomnia. I might have the soy milk be my bedtime carb snack.

Am hoping we can all be on track for a while. Now the parties are over, and it will be easier, since half of humanity has made resolutions to eat better and lose weight, so we can socialize without so much difficulty.
Ruth: how was the New Year's levee? Did eating before hand help you stay on plan?
Trish, just one more day of company then you will be yourself again!
hope to see some old friends and some newbies soon too!

Ruthxxx
01-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Actually, I had no trouble staying on plan. I think my resistance muscle is getting stronger. I just smiled and said "No thanks" to the chickies passing the canapes. Of course it helped that there was absolutely nothing there that I'd not seen before.

Mad, strange but I made a chart yesterday too. Although weight is melting a bit and BGL has been good, there are some things I need to improve; dairy and fruit and water! Planned exercise starts at the gym tomorrow and I need to find my WATP tapes for off days. I'll be 72 this month and do not intend to be an old lady!

On we go!

fatmad
01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Ruth, as far as I was concerned, my Dad wasn't old until about 75, and that happened with his illness. Up until then, he came to square dances with me, (my husband doesn't dance) chopped down tress, and walked 5 miles every morning on a paper route. (he said he was doing it to pay for a new car, but he kept on after the car was bought and paid for). So to me he aged overnight with his illness. Now that he is healthy, he looks younger than he did 2 years ago! No reason for you to be old at all. stay healthy and active and old age will stay outside of the door for a long time. You have the right attitude!
FBS was 5.9 today, and you are right, the water is the biggest thing, I felt much better yesterday being so well hydrated. I am also taking lots of fibre supplements with the water since atkins has had me a bit slowed down, and that worked well this morning, so I will continue with that. The fiber tabs before meals also contributes to a feeling of fullness, and that can't be bad for me either. I plan to head to town for yoga today, and will pick up groceries while there, then can walk the dog in the afternoon to really get the exercise going today. Its colder, so the trail wont be so mushy.
I am glad someone else is charting, makes me feel like less of a freak about it!LOL
Have a lovely day everyone!

Lindy87
01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
It's been a few years since I was a faithful member of 3fatchicks. I used to do South Beach and had lost 45 lbs about 5 years ago, only to gain it all back plus 30 lbs more. Now at my heaviest ever I need to get back on track. Diagnosed with type 2 1 1/2 years ago my weight has just gotten worse, although with medication my numbers have been good. Tomorrow starts my plan of eating healthy and hopefully getting in to some exercise. It is so nice to meet people and have a good support system. Looking forward to keeping up the chats daily. Here's to a brand new year and hopefully a brand new me!

fatmad
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Welcome Lindy, we are glad to hear from you. If you liked south beach, that may be a good plan for you, although any weight loss, any way is helpful. Tell us more about you. We are happy to be here for you.

pattygirl63
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
A quick flyby. I stayed up too late last night and then didn't get enough sleep. Took my FBG and was 130 and realized that I forgot to take my Metformin last night. I've switched to taking it between 8 and 9 at night and find it is working better for me with the WW.

I am using the charts on WW etools as well. I like being able to track my food with pts, activitie pts, weight loss etc online and then I can print it out and keep it in a notebook for references. Plan to start exercise tomorrow. Hope to be able to do at least 5 days a week.

Docs appt tomorrow. Not sure how that will go. I was sick with this cold coming on when my blood work was drawn last week so we will see what happens. Still have a lingering cough. My eating has been OP and within pts. Hope his scales show it.

Till tomorrow. Y'all have a good one.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR & NEW MONTH TOO, LADIES ~ hope you all had a nice time ushering in the new year too ...

:welcome: LINDY ~ gee, we have a lot of Lindy's on this site (or is it that I just know so many); must be a popular name these days. The paper was saying that Olivia was the top girl's name in Canada in 2010 and Ethan was the top boy's name; I like them both and I know some Olivias and Ethans too ... ;)

Anywho, I am trudging along this month; I hope to lose some more inches and lbs this year too. I still do my morning toning exercises, my hand-weights, the walking, and anything else I can add in to burn some more Cals. I have simplified my plan now and am getting into a groove ...

Hope the the WW plan helps all you ladies that are trying it this year -- worth a try at least, I'd say. Mine is a balanced plan as you already know: Lean Protein, Complex Carbs, High Fiber, with some Good Fats; and in measured portions.

I am focusing on my Miracle Breakfast (my own oatmeal/Kashi mix) for up to 5 days a week; on the weekends, I am treating myself to an egg one day and my favorite cinnamon raisin bagel one day only. I know that everyone can't do that, but it's working for me.

For lunch, I am having more soup with tuna, salmon, poultry, or very lean meat for a whole grain sandwich most days. The dinners you know already too -- lean meats like roasted chicken, turkey, roast beef, and fish with loads of roasted or steamed veggies and some salads too. Simple and easy to follow for me ...

Here's to another successful year ... :carrot:

Ruthxxx
01-03-2011, 06:08 AM
BGL up a bit this morning to 7.7. I may have overdone it on the dried apricots at bedtime. Sure beats a low though!

I'm up and at it early because Donna and I are going back to the gym for 7:30. I'm trying to find my workout sheet to refresh my memory of my routine. My PT is off just for today but I'm sure she'll have advice when she gets back Wednesday. Today will be a reorientation day, I guess.

Food is planned including some absolutely fabulous turkey soup at noon. I plan to see another ticker drop this week.

Happy first week of 2011!

fatmad
01-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Didn't sleep the best last night. Somehow, having an alarm set prevents me from sleeping well. Going in this am for an A1C and fasting bs before my doc appointment on Wednesday. Have a med check, and talk about my heel, whether its tendonitis or a bone spur. Gotta have that checked, don't want anything slowing me down!
Did my yoga yesterday, and hope to go again today. The 60 minutes are good instead of 90, not so strenuous. Can't do the balancing poses with the heel in this shape, but still worked up a sweat. Gee, mornings are long when you are not eating! Gonna drive DD into school this am on the way to the lab in town.
gave her an extra 1/2 hour to sleep as she gets back to routine.
Was nice to hear from you Rosebud, hope the ticker moves for you, and Ruth, I am sure it will. Trish, keep on plan with ww, your tracker sounds like my little chart, so you make me feel less obsessive.
Hey haven't heard from butterbutt in ages, I realized. maybe shes lurking.
Lindy, how are you this fine day?
Well, off to town. ttfn

Lindy87
01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Almost good afternoon everyone. Starting today on a positive note. Promised myself to be good. I am thrilled to say that my willpower is strong as I am avoiding homemade rice pudding and raisin/date bread at work today. Not enjoying being back to work but enjoying having a job as I am being layed off due to outsourcing this summer. So it is back to work I must go. I will check in later. Have a great day everyone!

fatmad
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Ack, the labs were closed today, its a lieu day for New Years, dang. I went for breakfast and did a blood sugar then, 6.7! Is this just from being up for a while beforehand? I stayed on low carb plan very well yesterday, (weight almost down to pre-holidays wahoo) so I don't think it was from what I ate. And I did take my metformin. I think it was Trish who also says that poor sleep leads to high bs for her. But I want a decent fasting tomorrow am, but of course, if I am needing different meds then I guess we need to know.
BUt really really surprised. Well, went to yoga too while in town, and eating on plan except a few homefried potatoes with my breakfast. I forgot to say no to them and then couldn't resist. So must stick to plan rest of today.
SO tonight, back ribs with sauerkraut.

pattygirl63
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Good Afternoon Chickies,

Mad Yes it was me. My FBS is always a little higher when I don't sleep well. I asked the doctor if there was anything I could take when I can't sleep that would not make me feel like a zombie for 2 days after and he asked if I had tried Melatonin. I told him that is what I've been taking and that it has helped me to sleep well. You know, Mad, I too have wondered what it is about having the alarm set that keeps me awake at night. You would think that knowing the alarm will wake me would make it easier for me to sleep. Go figue.:dizzy: Weird!!!

Lindy :welcome2: back. I think I must be new here since you were here. Great accomplishment passing on the rice pudding and raisin/date bread. I would have no problem passing on rice pudding, but I might be tempted with the raisin/date bread. I love raisin bread and would have got some today, but I had left my WW book at home and wasn't sure which one was the lower pts. Probably a good thing for me not to have it with me. I look forward to getting to know you.

Ruth I realized that I've been calling you Ruthie. I hope that wasn't a problem and if it was I do apologize. You just feel like a Ruthie to me. However, I have gone by all the nicknames that goes with Patricia and most of them are okay except for Patsy. I knew 2 Patsy's that I did not like and decided as a teen that I hated the name not realizing that I also knew a Patsy who was a real sweetheart. I'm glad your FBS is up so that you feel better. You and Mad are good at getting your execises going. I am working on that as well.

Rosebud So glad to see you. Miss you when you don't get to drop by.

I had my doctor's appt today and it went really well... in fact it was better than I expected. Doc walked into the room and said "Good job... good work". He said my A1c was 5.9... down from 6.2 in September. He said some of the numbers were up a little, but he wasn't worried. He was pleased that I had chosen to do WW and that I had not doubled to Metformin as I felt that was crazy when I could do the same thing with the diet. Told him that I could do low carb, but that it is difficult to do when DH likes to eat out at places where it is hard to get low carb foods. He said that actually any diet will work, but that we have to find the diet that we feel comfortable with. My bad cholesterol was up a little bit, but he said the exercise will bring that down. I had lost 6 lbs since my last visit. So he was pleased and so am I. He is a good and caring doctor.

He also saw DH and thinks he may be experiencing either dehydration sometimes and some atrifib at times. He wants Tony to see the cardiologist and wear the monitor to see if it shows up. Tony told him that it never shows when he wears the monitor... that he wished that it would. Doc laughed and said that he needed to wear one all the time. I called cardiology and we get the monitor Thursday and then see that doc on the 19th. So we both had a good productive doctors appt.

Y'all have a great day and 1st week of 2011.

Ruthxxx
01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Good morning. BGL is back to the usual lowish reading - 3.8 this morning. Food was good yesterday and there is just a wee drop on the scale - not ticker change worthy!

I had a good gym session yesterday and remembered most of the exercises. I did skip the floor ones as the knees were not happy but did everything else just fine, although with slightly lower weights. My BP was 114/75 when I finished which was good.

Pattygirl, I have no problem with your calling me Ruthie. Some of my friends and all my relatives do and it makes me feel young.

Time for breakfast and getting on with the day. :wave:

pattygirl63
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Ruthie Great numbers as you got back OP. I'll bet you get to change the ticker as well. You know I remember you from SBD thread and you have been an inspiration to me. My Daddy who is 87 stays busy and is not like an 87 yo man always has looked and acted younger than many who are half his age. It is difficult to believe you are going to be 72 as you seem so much younger. That is what gives all of us hope. I am not too far behind you... I'm 67 and people like you and my Daddy help us all know that we may have to get older, but that does not mean we have to get old. I love your attitude and I am choosing to make it mine as well.

My FBG was 113 this morning. Steadily going down so I feel that the new WW Pts + is definitely working for me.

Mad, Rosebud, Lindy, Lindyloo & others reading :wave:

Have a great day!!!

fatmad
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone:
Last night was not as planned at all, DH said, don't cook, lets go see a movie since I was on holiday and not on call. We had been wanting to see the new true grit with Jeff Bridges. He sure is good at playing the old curmudgeons now. It was excellent and I highly recommend it to those who liked the book or the first movie with John Wayne. We had supper at the food court at the mall, I always go to the Feta and Olives kiosk, I can have a chicken souvlaki on a stick, greek salad with olive oil dressing, tzaziki and I get a chick pea salad instead of rice, and can stay low carb. It seems to be the only place in the food court I can get stuff, but was glad for it. No popcorn during movie since we just ate, so not tempted.
This am I am back to ticker weight :carrot: and fbs was 5.6. I didn't go back for the blood work, had insomnia about 4 to 630, then slept until 1030. I wasn't sure it would be accurate that way.
I did the hot yoga again yesterday, and wow, was it crowded with newbies. Its New Years resolution time. The yoga studio has doubled up on staff for a bit to handle the incomers. I am getting ready to go cross country skiing instead today. BTW, I have started using my orthotics again thinking the foot pain may be a heel spur and it is getting better to my delight.
Trish you are right, a good doc is worth his or her weight in gold. I have always been happy with mine. She only works half time tho, so sometimes I have to see her partners and they are not all as great. Its a 4 woman office, and they all work 2.5 days/week, so really 2 docs, but full coverage. Interesting work plan.
Ruth, so pleased for you, every little bit helps, I know I was quite delighted to see the weight this am and know that I am on track and doing well.
Lindy and Rosebud, so glad to hear from you all too. Enjoy the day. time to go!

Ruthxxx
01-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Deviant eating yesterday so scale up a tad again but BGL fine. I'm off to the gym. I am serving a ham dinner tonight so won't weigh tomorrow because of the salt.

Lindy87
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Just checking in to say hi to all. Had some chips last night, but after I had a bunch of carrot sticks. Could not resist them while playing Clue with my 2 aunts and my mom. I did not have the cherry pie though so that was good. Planning a good day today. While my family eats pizza, I plan to make my own veggie pizza with a low carb flat bread. Totally yummy. Well I have to get back to work so I do not get it trouble. Have a great day everyone!

pattygirl63
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
A quick one today as I stayed up late and therefore got up late. Just couldn't get sleepy. Scale up, Ruthie I forget about salt and I had homemade cheeseburger and used a lot of salt and a bite of ham which I had late in evening. So guess there is a reason for the scale to be up a bit and even slight increase in FBG although the increase is still within what doc calls normal.

Lindy I love having pizza made with low carb flatbread. Sounds good. I might make me one of those today myself.

Got things to catch up on today as things get back to normal for me next week. Bible Study Fellowship starts back next Wednesday. DH has doctors appt etc.

I better get busy. Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Am feeling quite out of sorts today. Went for fasting blood work, but the lab was so busy with after holiday people, I had to wait for an hour before my blood draw. Since I planned a whole morning in town, had to rush to make my chiropractor appt, just had a tea and an egg mcmuffin (minus the muffin LOL) to eat, then went from that appt to my doctors office. Reviewed rxs and am now onto 2 metformin/day based on my sugars. She is agreeing with me to keep me "non diabetic" numbers as long as we can, and avoid glyburide etc if possible for the time being. Nice to be in sync in our thinking. Will see what the results of the blood work are and decide if we need to tweak anything else. time for a physical again too, but will book that in early June so we can do another (almost) 6 month review. She was pleased with my continuing tho slow weight loss, so no complaints. She also agreed that it looks like heel spurs, so ordered me some new orthotics. I am going to be busy with medical appointments, as I also have to go to the travel clinic and get some planning done for my next holiday.
But hard to stay to plan with such a day, am behind in my water drinking and supplements etc. Its a beautiful sunny day so will take the dog out to the trail this afternoon for a little jaunt for my exercise. want to keep up the exercise no matter what, I am certainly feeling better for it.
LIndy, its so hard not to snack and not to snack badly when in these fun and social situations, good for you for moving onto carrots and avoiding the pie.
Veggie trays can be perfect in these situations.

have a good day chickies, ttfn

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-06-2011, 12:54 AM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ sounds like you are all doing pretty good; food has been good for me this week and I'm happy to be back on track after the holidays. Dh and I picked up a mild cold or tummy bug, but I am feeling better tonight, so hope it's going away ...

I thought it was my sugars dipping but I think it really was that making me feel a bit nauseated for a short while this AM. I'm glad I gave away most of those chocolate junkies; could mess up my system if I ate too many. I have been sleeping much better; do wake up if it's too hot though -- we have about 4 blankets and comforters on our bed and the temps came up last week.

It's supposed to get colder tomorrow, so will leave them all on; as we need them from January til March here. Just stayed home and did cleaning and such today. Ate well today too ... made DH a healthy banana loaf with bran in it for his snacks tonight ...

Have a wonderful week ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Good morning! Good BGL this morning after a pretty decadent dinner last night. The ham was delicious but I am definitely avoiding the scale for a bit. I don't know what I was thinking to buy such a big ham. :shrug: It was 4.145 K not pounds. I have enough leftovers to feed half the village. I do have to make sandwiches for a funeral 'lunch' tomorrow so that will get rid of some of it. I may freeze measured portions for a toasted western once in a while. And, of course, there's pea soup!

My PT was back at the gym yesterday and made a few changes/corrections to my routine. I'm feeling it this morning but a good hot shower will ease out the soreness.

My Christmas is officially over as of today and it will be good to get back to a more peaceful and less tempting routine. I plan to get fullbloodwork done at the end of the month just to make sure I have lots more mileage ahead.:D

Lindy87
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Morning all. Had some doritos last night and have no idea why--just because they were there I guess. My kids are stick figures and love stuff like that so I usually have it in the house. I need to find the will power to stay away. Really enjoyed my veggie pizza that I made last night and now back on track for today.
We are expecting some snow again here tomorrow, at least 6 in. Just enough to cause havoc and replenish some of the 2 ft from last weeks blizzard that had melted. Hoping all have a good day. Need to get backt o work now. :)

Lindyloo
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Good Morning Ladies;)

I haven't been around for awhile as I had a computer tech here trying to fix my wireless connection. He did something and all my saved passwords, connections, and reminders were gone. Age makes it necessary for reminders to go to some sites.

Having trouble with high fasting BG in the morning since I stopped taking my one medication. Sure hope I don't have to go back on it. Maybe I can add in another Metformin. Sometimes it's around 7.4 way to high and this morning it was 6.8.

Ruth, I love pea soup. I normally make a ham along with a turkey for Christmas, but didn't this year.

Pattygirl, sleep causes my fasting #'s to go up as well. Maybe thats the problem I'm having. Not sure about WW. I'm still trying to get my head around everything. I still have three months, so we'll see what happens.

Lindy. welcome back.

Mad - congrats on your doctors visit.

Mega snow coming tonight and through the weekend, so I have to rush and do everything today.

fatmad
01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
had insomnia in the middle of the night again, but had to get up and take the car in for service so went to yoga instead of sitting and waiting for the car. Had a good workout, then after lunch had a massage. Many errands later got home.
Made quiche for supper, mine with no crust. Stuck to plan today generally, but maybe more dairy than I am allowed on plan.
generally tired now, but have to put away groceries. Skiing tomorrow if the weather godess is on my side.
thanks for all the well wishes. not up to personal hellos today, but I love hearing about everyone's day. best wishes to you all.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
:wave: We had lovely :sunny: again today; a pleasant surprise ... :carrot:

Ate well today too; had salmon with brown rice, veggies, and salad for dinner tonight; it was nice. Did catchup laundry day today from Christmas so I could put stuff away. I lost my small hand-weights in the spare room, so used the medium ones instead, but we ended up sorting out the whole spare room looking for them anyways and it gets better organized each time. Then when I was doing laundry guess where I found my weights? DH was little red=faced on that one -- said he set them there and forgot about it ... :lol:

Well, at least I have a couple of pairs so if I lose one, I can use the other. I use them every other day; hoping to increase my strength and my metabolism too.

RUTH ~ Christmas is now over for me too; we leave stuff up til the 6th; the day the Magi were supposed to have brought gifts to baby Jesus; some orthodox religions celebrated Christmas yesterday. We are leaving our lights up so we can put them on during our winter carnival; the big strobe light is frozen in the ice anyways. DH broke one like it last year and a candy cane set trying to pull them out -- so I "NICELY ASKED" him to leave them there this year ... ;););)

My job this weekend is usually to take the tree and decos down; but sometimes, I like to leave them up a bit longer, esp if I was later putting them up like this year. I had my tree and lights up from the beginning of December but didn't get it decorated until Christmas week; the room decos didn't go up until Christmas Eve ... and that's late for us.

Anywho, will get them all down and put away eventually. Am sure loving my new fireplace woodstove; have wanted one for ages and got a real bargoon deal on it too. Gives a nice ambiance to our livingroom and some extra warmth when needed too.

Have a fabulous Friday, ladies ... Rosebud :flow2

Ruthxxx
01-07-2011, 05:59 AM
I usually leave my outside lights up well into January to brighten up the long dark nights. It's great to get the Christmas stuff stashed away though. I'll enjoy my simplified house for a bit and then will get the urge for more plants - maybe an amaryllis?

I'm struggling with weight again as ham is catching up with me. Darned water weight is so discouraging! I'm not posting my ticker because it's up again, not the whole bit but still ...

Didn't check my FBGL this morning because I have new strips and need to programme my monitor. How lazy is that? I guess it's time to put on my big girl panties and get on with it.

pattygirl63
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
It's been kind of a busy day. I woke up after 5 1/2 hrs sleep stopped up and couldn't go back to sleep. I forgot to take my Melatonin last night so FBG was a little higher than it would have been if I had slept longer.

I wanted to go to the nail salon to get my nails done and I also decided to get a pedicure. I thought they didn't open until 10 am and learned when I got there that they open an hour earlier on Friday and Saturday. While sitting there having the pedicure which felt sooooo good, I decided that I'm going to start doing that on a regular basis... maybe every other month. She did such a good job and I think taking care of my feet and circulation in my legs from the massage she did is well worth it especially now that I'm dealing with diabetes. Plus the way it makes me feel sure is worth treating myself to such pampering. Tomorrow is going to be another pampering day as I go to get my hair styled for the weekend. Makes it nice getting ready for church to not have to worry with doing my hair. Will be setting up for regular Saturday hairstyling too. I think getting my eating under control is helping me to feel better about taking care of myself in other areas.

Years ago when I was dealing with diabetes, I had a book called Fit for Life. The author recommended eating fruit in the morning until Noon and then eating your food from noon until 8 pm and then eating nothing after 8 pm. I showed the book to the doctor I had back then and he approved it. Then I ended up going on Richard Simmons diet because I started working nights with my husband. I always said that if I ever got back to living normal hours that I would do this. I'm still doing WW, started doing it with the Fit for Life theory with a little twist this morning. I made me what I call a homemade fruit cup with Activia Lite yogurt and added a teaspoon of chia seeds which came to 2 pts for breakfast. I really enjoyed that and I loved the "light" feeling of a light breakfast to start my day.

It was nice to see everybody dropping by.

Y'all have a great Friday evening and weekend.

Ruthxxx
01-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Good morning. I think I put on the wrong big girl panties yesterday because everything went awry during the day. The good thing is that a good sleep helped a lot. So did dropping three pounds of water weight overnight! BGL was 5.3 this morning too.

pattygirl63
01-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Ruthie - Congratulations on the 3lb loss of water weight and the BGL being down.

My FBS was back down to 113mg/dl this morning although I went to bed late and got up about 5 and 1/2 hrs later to go to the beauty shop.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Ruthxxx
01-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Pea soup is on the hob and the rest of the ham is going into sandwiches for a Church meeting at noon today. It'll be a long time before I buy another ham, especially a 9 pounder!

I have the Church meeting to navigate at lunch today but should be OK. I'll have a half sandwich, lots of veggies and ignore dessert. The woman who is making dessert has a filthy kitchen so it's easy to avoid her stuff.

Today's exercise will be shoveling because it's still coming down! This is how it should be in January!

fatmad
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Got to x-c ski 3 days in a row. Have been getting LOTs of activity. Ate pretty well, although yesterday was "high" carb for me (about 50g carbs) partly due to the fabulous dessert after supper. We went away for the night yesterday, DH did some night skiing and we went out to a very lovely restaurant, everything home made, so they dealt with my citrus allergy very nicely, and the seafood was wonderful. They had a flourless chocolate truffle cake that we split for dessert, so didn't have much, and it was fabulous. I am sure I can make a version with splenda, as the sugar is mixed with the melted chocolate etc, and isn't used for bulk. I might try it out for my dad's 80th in april.
Stuck to plan today. Sugars are good, fbs 5.7 and 5.4 last two days. No spikes yesterday in spite of the treats.

However, Emotionally have been wrecked. I was having some difficulty Friday, something about work came up and I was so upset, (which I sometimes express more as anger than sadness) and I didn't cope with it all so well. Then when it came up again on Saturday when a colleague called to follow up I really lost it. Crying and just unable to manage. Thats when DH and I decided to go away for the night. We threw stuff into a bag, and took off. Getting outside and away from things helps a lot.
It felt a little like pms, the problem is real, but not huge but for some reason coping skills are just offline.
HOpe that is better for a bit. Will be in the big city for 3 days, leaving early tomorrow, for meetings, so my exercise will be walking from place to place.
Not sure how the food stuff will be though. Always a bit worried when others are in charge of my food!
Have to pack yet, and its getting late. Hope to do more than dump and run tomorrow night.

Ruthxxx
01-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Mad, I know the feeling of not being able to cope as I'm going through a bit of a rough time myself - accounting, not people problems. Getting away with DH was a good idea. Are you off to The Big Smoke for three days? I hate having other people plan my food too but sometimes we just have to suck it up.

I am still dealing with the "ham syndrome" and am freezing the rest of the pea soup in single servings. I could eat pea soup three meals a day and that is very dangerous. When I'm in town today, I'll stock up on veggies as the crisper is pretty bare. Dill pickles aren't really a veggies, right?

BGL was 6 this morning and my ticker and I are not speaking until she stops lying!

Lindy87
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Been struggling along this passed weekend. Dealing with lots of emotional stress and basically ate anything that wasn't nailed down. Getting back on track today. Hoping to relose the 3 lbs I lost last week and gained back ove rthe weekend. Work is extremely stressful and people keep harping on how we are only here for 6 more months until we are laid off doesn't help at all. Trying to be positive even though the ending of a job that I love is difficult.

Going to go shopping at the fruit and vegy store after work to stock up on my heathy items before th threat of lots of snow on Tues nite into Wed. Hopefully work will be closed. It is amazing how much $ I save making an extra trip to a separate store just for vegys. I think I save about $25 a week!
Well need to get back to work. Check in tomorrow. Have a great day everyone!

pattygirl63
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I got this from a friend today and thought you especially who live where it snows a lot might get a laugh from it like I did.

I just got off the phone with a friend from Northern
> > Wisconsin.
> >
> > She said that since early this morning the snow has
> > been nearly waist high and is still falling. The
> > temperature is dropping below zero and the
> > north wind is increasing. Her Husband has done
> > nothing but look through the kitchen window all
> > day. She says that if it gets much worse, She may
> > have to let him in.

pattygirl63
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Just checking in. Mad Getting away with DH was a good idea. Hope your trip goes well. I don't like it when someone else is in control of me food either.

Ruthie I have some ham I need to do something with too, but it was cooked with sugar on it and I am afraid to eat any of it. It sure has been calling my name lately. So far I have not answered lol, but can't say I won't.

Lindy I hate it when I have one of those days or period of days when I want to eat everything in the house. Maybe it is the stress is caused by the situation with your job and maybe for now you just need to do your best to maintain and not worry about being perfect on a diet.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-10-2011, 10:41 PM
:lol: THAT'S FUNNY TRISH ~ thanks for the chuckle -- you know we do that here all the time; only from the inside lookin' out ... ;) I tried that FIT FOR LIFE THING; didn't mind fruit for breakfast now and then, but had to alternate it with a heartier one after awhile. Some of the ideas in that plan were hard to stick to (for me anyways); but nothing wrong with taking the good ideas and incorporating them into your WW plan though -- I do that all the time ... ;)

Our temps have dropped to -15C about :brr: and I wish we would get a little more ***** to keep us warm, but don't let my landlord hear that or he'll get upset, 'cause he has to pay for all the snow removal ... :p I have a beautiful blue shovel on my front porch that has a huge snowflake dangling from it and it says ... LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW ... hehe ... :D

RUTH ~ I think dill pickles are veggies since they are made of cucumbers, but they are a bit high in salt too; three baby dills are only about 5 calories though and as long as you don't eat too many, they might be OK; same goes for olives too, I guess.

MAD ~ hope you have a nice relaxing trip so you can rest and recoupe from work issues; have a great time ...

HI LINDY ~ it's hard when you are losing your job; been through that a few times myself. Just keep on, keepin' on; that's all you can do really. Maybe you can start looking for a new job now and head them off, so2speak -- would serve them right, I think! We also buy our veggies at a different store and save a bundle too ...

Have a great week ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
01-10-2011, 11:51 PM
hi everyone, well here I am in the big smoke. Got to take my sister out for supper and have a little visit with her. Didn't see her at Christmas since I was on call and she was recuperating from having her appendix out. She is doing well now.
Just walked everywhere today, but miss the activity, so planning yoga tomorrow evening. Also going to meet DD, so not sure about where the yoga will fit in. BUt it will.
Ate a lowfat blueberry bran muffin today, (wow when thats a cheat you know its a good cheat at least) but otherwise stuck to plan by taking the lunch sandwiches apart. two other people at the meeting did the same thing, so didn't feel too bad but we had this plate of sad looking bread. The salad was completely gone tho.
TOmorrow is vegetarian pad thai, so I will bring something with me to eat for lunch.
Lindy: I had a friend who worked for the Vancouver Olympic committee, had to stay until after the Olympics, then boom, unemployed. She found it quite tough, staying until the end, knowing there was an end that way.
You keep finding joy in little things. Of course you won't be perfectly on plan all the time, but finding ways to deal with stress that don't involve eating will be part of what you will have to learn to do. I know I really fell apart when my parents got ill, wow, its 2 years ago now. For about 6 months I lost it regarding food, and went from not diabetic on testing 2.5 years ago, to prediabetic 1 year ago. Its not been easy, but I am better at not turning to food for comfort, though like everyone else, nobody's perfect. Don't judge yourself, learn from it!
ttfn everyone.

Ruthxxx
01-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Scale and ticker are still being stubborn but today they may improve. BGL was not good this morning. I just threw out the last half of a pan of brownies - not that there's any connection! :rolleyes:

Today I will definitely stock up on veggies. I ran out of time in town yesterday although I did manage to avoid the frassing Chinese Buffet! :cb:

pattygirl63
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Rosebud I didn't stay with the Fit for Life fruit in the morning either. Hadn't planned to change it, but got up hungry for something else yesterday and today and ate what I was hungry for since I'm doing the new WW Points Plus, I can do that. I ended up moving the fruit to night time eating last night when I took my Metformin. And this morning my FBS was 102 mg/dl so it would seem that it worked well for my BS. So I will keep my the fruit cup at night and see if it continues to work so well.

Mad So glad you got to spend time with your sister. That is the one thing I miss since I moved so far away from home. Now I only get to see my sister every year or two and the other one none of us hear from any more. So nice when we can get together and visit.

Ruthie So sorry you are struggling. We all go through that and it is a pain in the rump trying to get things back to where we want it. However, don't lose courage, you will do it. I'm sure this is just a phase that will pass. You've done it before so you will do it again.

I ate canned soup yesterday and will have the other half today. I forget that canned has a lot of salt so scale was up a little today which means I will have to drink lots of water today. As I mentioned to Rosebud, my FBS was 102 so the new WW plan is working for me in that area. I really want to get it down around the normal #90. I just might make it eventually.

We will finish the chili I made for lunch yesterday and I've got a small crockpot of beans soaking to cook for tomorrow. Lots of ice/snow etc on the ground and most places are closed here so we have no plans to go anywhere this week. Cold enough for soups, beans etc.

Y'all have a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
:wave: We had roasted chicken and veggies for dinner the last two days; took the leftovers and made a nice pot of soup for lunch today -- just adding 1/8 cup of pot barley and brown rice to it; and it was tres yummy (enuff left for tomorrow too). Tonight we had baked fish and sweet tator fries with a nice big salad and sliced tomatoes. Ate much better today; getting back on track.

I crushed up some pretzels and mixed them with leftover peanuts and put them in a tin which we dole out to the birdies each day until they are all gone. DH is slowly polishing off the shortbread and crackers; stashed them up in a high cubby hole so I won't be tempted ... ;)

We had lovely :sunny: today; so the temps came up quite a bit with that -- about -7C, I think. Glad to hear things are getting better for each of our ladies here. Ya, the key is to just keep on, keepin' on really ... Like MAD says, we all make mistakes; my tactic these days is not to dwell on them; then learn from them to make corrections for the next snack or meal or day.
It does take a lot of experimentation to find out what works best for each of us!

Have a great Wednesday everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
:wave: "Tasted" a piece of white chocolate last night and was 8.8 this morning. Of course, I forgot my bedtime pills too! Duh!

I did get some fruits and veggies yesterday and cooked a proper supper with turkey sausage, peppers, mushrooms and brown and wild rice. Weight is slowly moving. ** Sigh **

fatmad
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone, just a quick check in. Have been staying on plan for the most part, eating supper out is a bit hard, and treating sister on Monday and my daughter and son-in-love last night, have had some extra carbs. I did a drop in yoga class last night, and slept quite well after that. Check out of hotel this am and home after meetings, hope the snow doesn't ruin things, gonna plan for the train. that was the road conditions and traffic won't matter.
RUth, you know what, I am at the weight I was in August. Look for some non-scale victories here too. Like stability in the weight, you haven't been gaining (except occasional water weight) and that by itself is great.
have a good day everyone

pattygirl63
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
A quick one here today. Fruit at night didn't seem to matter as the FBS was back to 110 today. So just going to concentrate on eating healthy foods and stay close to base WW pts today and see what happens. Scales seem to bounce around but like you said Mad it isn't real gain so that is good.

I'm doing a lot of lurking these days. I do get a lot of encouragment and new positive ideas that way. I'm treating this like a diet any more. I'm just trying to learn a better and healthier way of eating.

Been very cold here and snow still on ground, but :sunny: has finally made an appearance so I hope a lot of it will melt off although temps are supposed to be in teens the next few nights and could cause problems. Will have to just see. I've enjoyed the snow (unusual for us to have so much) and I'm ready for normal weather again.

Ruthie, Lindy, Rosebud and others just reading & lurking:wave:

Have a good safe and warm day everybody.

Ruthxxx
01-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Grrr! I was perfect yesterday and weight is up a bit today. Most discouraging! I've even been investigating the band or balloon WLS options but definitely will research a lot. I booked my physical for Jan. 24 for discussion with my dear Doctor Jack.

In the meantime, I'll work on keeping the BGL stable and trying not to gain any more! Right now I'm on the cusp of 200.

fatmad
01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Ruth, I am thinking about how frustrating this is for you. And you are NOT being unreasonable, you weight is high for your height. A good med review to determine what you really need, and good diet discussion may be helpful. If you get referred to a dietition, make sure its someone you trust. Mine is useless to me, and I just have to ignore her. Everyone who does what she says ends up on insulin, and she hasn't clued in yet. I hope and pray that you can find a path that is right for you.

I have come down with a cold. Felt pretty crummy on the train home, (not helped by a delay) and after getting off, had to puke before getting in the car. Was achey, headaches, muscle aches etc. Puked a few more times later.
So went off plan and had some campbells chicken noodle soup with ww soda crackers. Comfort food from childhood, what to eat when sick. Its all I had, but really craved carbs when I woke at 5 am so had fibre 1 and shreddies cereals, for some reason seemed right. Went back to bed about 7 and slept great for about 2 hours. feeling better now, but sweaty and coughing a bit, throat sounds raspy but feels ok. WIll rest a lots of fluids today, and try to sweat it out at yoga this pm.
ttfn ladies.

Lindyloo
01-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Good Morning Ladies. I too have been lurking.

Too much going on around here with DH. He had an appt @ the hospital to take the stent out of his kidney. We got there, waited in the waiting room, he finally got into a room, waited there for 3/4 of an hour and the doctor told him the appts had been booked backward. Should have got another procedure done first before getting the stent out. What a waste of time, especially when the hospital is on the other side of the side from us ( an hours drive to get there). He has another appt. for next week, so we do it all over again.

FBS was at 7 this morning. That's pretty good for me as it's usually higher.

Still plugging along. I did join Dr. Oz's free on-line weightloss program. You have to enter everything you eat and he gives you a certain amount of calories each day. I must admit it makes a lot of sense to do that. I am surprised how the food adds up everyday.

Ruth I hear you an being good and still gaining weight. Seems I just have to look at food.

Mad sorry to hear your not feeling well. There is a lot of that going around this time of year. Take care of yourself.

Pattygirl, glad to hear WW is working for you.

It's freezing here @ -22 with wind chill of -30 and I haven't vertured out for days. Have to go soon though, the dogs need food.

pattygirl63
01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Well, I've been good for quite some time and last night had a sweets binge. Strange that scale went down, but not surprised that FBS went up. I'm still doing WW as that wasn't the problem. The problem is me. I've decided that since the 29 basic pts is probably around 1200 calories, I am going to work at staying at the 29 pts and not use the WP or AP except when eating out and may not use them then if I don't have to. I think I need to work more at getting weight off and the FBS will follow.

Mad So sorry you got the mess that is going around and hope you are well soon.

Ruth So sorry you are having such a struggle right now and maybe your doc can help you.

Lindyloo Isn't that crazy for them to get things backwards. Hope things go smoothly this time.

Well, I'm back OP today. Got rid of the sweets that tempt me out of site out of mind. If that doesn't work, I'll throw them away or take the chocs to the church office since they like to keep them out for people there.

Hope we all have a better OP day today.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
MAD ~ Seems there's lot of bad flues and colds going around these days; ^PRAYERS^ going up for all those who are sick ...

RUTH ~ this is a bad time of year for weight-gain and water-gain as well; I agree, maybe you do need a medicine adjustment again. Hope your doc has some ideas for you.

LINDYLOO ~ that is a bummer to have appts all mixed up; here they often call you ahead to confirm the procedure and I think that's a good practice.

TRISH ~ we got rid of the leftover sweets; the only thing left if DH's shortbread which thankfully, I don't have issues with. I do have some dark chocolate left but it's out in our freezer which is out in our back porch. I won't venture out there in the cold for that though. My issues are more salty, crunchy type, so I got rid of those ... :lol:

Went shopping today; got some great deals. Having BBQ spit chicken with brown rice & veggies & salad for dinner -- and it smells like it's ready now. Have a fab Friday everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

PS ~ I don't know if anyone here is interested in this or not; but just in case some of our lurkers are -- here's a link to a very easy & simple plan to get you started; as you go along, you can tweak it or change it as you like ... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/222266-no-diet-diet.html

pattygirl63
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
I just checked that out Rosebud and I like that... thanks for sharing it. Very basic and looks doable.

Ruthxxx
01-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Quickie. Down two pounds overnight - no to keep it off!

Spoke with my friend Dr Bob last night and he gave me some interesting insights into WLS. Because of my age and history of colon cancer, he doesn't think it's for me. He's talking up Victoza for both BGL control and weightloss. We shall see after I meet with my PCP.

pattygirl63
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I am thankful to say that the weight is back down and the FBS was back down to 113 mg/dl. Now just to stay OP and keep things going in the right direction... down, down, down.

Y'all have a great Friday and week end.

Lindy87
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I have been lurking around a bit and finally decided to pop back ans say Hi to all! Still struggling along. We had another 10 in of snow and I cannot wait for spring. A little sad today as my parents headed back down to FL today. They had an extended stay up north due to health conditions and now I am so used to them being here I did not want them to go. We will see them again when they come back north in June. Missing them already, but know they will have a great time with all their friends there and am looking forward to hear about all the goings on down there. They are very active and don't sit still for very long.
Hopefully will get back on track after today's party at work. :)

Ruthxxx
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Good morning from very snowy Delta! Weight is the same and BGL was 5.7 this morning - even after a delicious birthday dinner at Claire's place! She was very considerate and did not have cake - just cream puffs filled with SF pudding and SF chocolate sauce. Very good and really thoughtful of her.

fatmad
01-15-2011, 01:33 PM
This cold hasn't had me feeling too badly, and am coping well.
Went for a ski on the way to visit friends in Bancroft, and was quite hungry afterward, (this is when by blood sugar can get quite low) so I ask DH to stop in Bancroft for me to get a snack, since we had eaten all the packed food. He convinced me to just go on to our friends' place about 25 min outside of Bancroft, they would have snacks. Against my better judgement, I agreed. (dumb of me, but worked out ok). Got there and had some cheese, and our friends say, "we will put the lasagna in the oven now that you are here". Even with some food in hand, I swear I was about to cry, I love lasagna and can't eat it, what will I do go off plan and suffer through carb withdrawal again argh, when my hostess announces, "I made it with layers of eggplant instead of noodles, so madeleine can eat it". I just wanted to kiss her.
She also planned around my allergies bless her.
For everyone who treats your way of eating like you are from mars, sometimes someone gets it and what a treat. We had a terrific supper, (I have never liked eggplant, but this was a delicious lasagna) and played some cards and generally had a great evening. Easy to stay on plan today too, and am going snowshoeing for a bit now. Have a nice day friends. ttfn

Ruthxxx
01-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Mad, some people are just so supportive. I love eggplant lasagna but not as much as the real thing.

Still plugging along with a decent FBGL and the scale going up or down two pounds no matter what I eat. :shrug: The focus today has to be on more veggies - with the cold and snow I have been a bit too comfort carby. Yesterday it was rye bread and smoked salmon - OK for calories but not a good lunch choice with a pasta supper.

Today I'm planning a pear, goat cheese, walnut salad on spinach with a mug of consomme if I am feeling the cold. Chicken stir-fry and ww noodles for dinner.

pattygirl63
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Mad What a dea friend to be so supportive of you. You are blessed. Glad the cold isn't getting you down.

Ruthie I'm having the same problem. The plan this week is to eat more veggies and healthier foods. I am learning that just because it is okay calorie/pts wise, it is not the best or wisest food to eat.

My FBS is great... steadily coming down. I've decided the day of the13? may have been because I forgot to take my Metformin the night before. It was 102 this morning which is great. My weight is back up 2lbs. So hopefully by getting back to eating wiser healthier foods will bring that back down.

Didn't make it to church this morning. Felt really strange when walking around at Walmart. I had some of the symptoms like I was going to faint, but didn't have the flushed dizzy feeling that goes with it. I was able to get my shopping done and then get home. Went to bed with intent to get up and go to bed, but couldn't relax had feeling of what I call tremors on the inside but no outside signs. When I took my blood pressure and cholesterol meds this morning I had the tremors again. Checked my blood pressure but it was not what is considered high. So I'm thinking it might be the cholesterol meds. Will have to look up the side effects today. Also I notice something going on in my sinus area so may just be that. DH felt bad when we got home as well and I'm also wondering if we were around someone who was sick or if we got some MSG when we ate out.

Y'all have a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ great to see that most of you are doing so well; getting back on track in the new year. Our temps went down to -25+ C last night with fierce northern winds so we had to stuff our back door with rags to block them (DH tried that weather stripping to no avail; so back to an old standby). ;) We had lovely :sunny: all day today; so nice ... :D

We had a nice roast beef with lotsa veggies for dinner tonight -- am doing much better keeping on plan. Managed to get back on track this week and that is a big relief. I have been journalling what I eat so that I can see what foods/meals work best for me.

TRISH ~ the basic plan is one a doctor and I devised for me when in my teens (I lost 25 lbs on it at the time); and is very similar to many others like the Diabetic Association exchange plan. It is very flexible and simple to follow; and good for families too. We also used this in my work days (as a counsellor) when we wanted to help a client lose a bit of weight without feeling deprived -- the #1 goal being to help them feel better and become more mobile.

I really like it myself; and I have tweaked it over time adding some good ideas from other plans and cutting back on things that tempt me to binge. We eat a lot less now overall, but still feel quite full and satisfied. I think this plan is similar to one my mother's dietician had her on as well. It's a good place to start anyways ...

We heard that the south got a dumping of ****** over the weekend; as I have family who live down there too. We get updates every weekend ... ;) Hope you are all keeping warm though and have a great week coming up too ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
trish, when I am coming down with a cold or flu, I get shaky like when I have low sugars, although the numbers will be fine. Also, if you get high sugars coming down fast you can get the symptoms of low sugars. I had that one night when I had some cranberry cocktail, went up to 17 then was 5.5 an hour later. it was like I could feel it falling so fast, I was just jittery the whole time.
Before the pre-diabetes started, I used to get hypoglycemic in certain situations so I am not surprised that this can happen to me.
hope you feel better soon.

I am home now from my weekend away, and back to work first thing in the morning. Looking forward to seeing my clients.
ttfn

Ruthxxx
01-17-2011, 07:21 AM
It's currently -33C here and I'm cold. I need to start dressing in layers more. I certainly am not cold from losing weight - must be an age thing.

Just had oatmeal and vanilla SF yogurt with a wonderful pear cut up in it. That should help this morning's 3.4 BGL. I have homemade pea soup thawing for lunch - I know the ham will affect me but I need a comfort lunch today. I'd love to just stay home and finish reading the Globe and the Times but I'm off to the gym this morning.

Have a good Monday and stay warm!

pattygirl63
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Well stayed up almost all night... just wasn't sleepy even after taking the Melatonin so FBS was way up and the fact that I ate some chips didn't help either. Surprise was that my BP was great although the chips were lightly salted so that worked in my favor. I checked my points and I used a lot but not all of my Weekly Pts.

Today is a new day and I'm back to doing more of a low carb type woe, but using my WW PPlus to keep portions and calories in check. There are just some things I cannot bring into the house even though what I've been doing is practicing some "self-disiciplined will power". I have a place where I put things that I make a "quality" decision not to eat any more. So far, it works. However, anyhing that still tempts me will either go into the trash or down the garbage disposal. So today I've made a quality decision... I'm back to making healthier carb choices of fruits and veggies etc.

I thought I might give up the WW on-line membership when my 3 months are up, but I've decided to keep it. I find that the etools really helps to keep track of all that I eat and my weight loss/gain etc. It also keeps me honest/accountable. I really like being able to print out a copy of what I ate each day. I really would love for this to be the year that I get control of my weight and get as close to goal as possible.

Ruthie I find that I get cold easier these days and find it harder to get warm sometime. I've seen the possibility of a snow/rain mix for here Friday, however, I don't think it will be cold enough for it to stick.

Always thought I would love to live where it snows, but I've changed my mind. After 2 rounds of the beautiful white stuff, I don't care to see any more here this year. I think my age has a lot to do with it. When you have experienced a lot of falls in your life, you don't want to take the chance of getting out in the stuff and falling... especially on the ice. My balance isn't what it used to be.

Everybody have a great Monday and y'all stay warm.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
TRISH ~ You are learning what works for you and what doesn't; for not only losing weight but esp for BSL control. I think the WW plan is a good basic plan; with some tweaks that suit you, like choosing fruit or veggies over chips, you should see some improvement. On some days, I will cut back my grain or starchy complex carbs a bit too; what I do is cycle or alternate them. One day I may have a whole sandwich but on another, have only a half sandwich for lunch with some soup; or I may have a few wg soda crackers instead (tweak, tweak, tweak). ;)

I learned a lot about myself this year -- what foods are my worst triggers; which ones don't bother me; where I can cut back and still feel full; found new subs that were less calories, etc; found serving size snacks that are healthier for me; eating more nutrient-rich foods; found ways to lessen the damage by fixing things the next snack, meal, or day so my weekly plan is still 90+% successful (and maybe even better); and that my daily exercises are really helping me: the hand-weights and early morning toning exercises are helping me to lose inches, sizes, and weight.

Plus I have learned that the slower I lose the weight, the longer I am keeping it off. After years and years of yo-yo dieting this is a HUGE victory for me. This is the longest time that I have kept lost weight off (5+ years) -- and I mean -- ALL OF IT! Also I have learned that I can eat many of the foods I love -- as long as I just watch the portion sizes.

I know for sure now that this basic portion plan is the best one FOR ME. I was weighed at our local hospital in December and I am now the same weight I was 20+ years ago. I am ecstatic about that - why? Becuz I have lost all the weight I gained in that time period and kept it off with this plan. My new goal now is to get to the size I was when I got married (then we'll see after that). ;)

What else would I improve? I hope to increase my walking a bit more this year. All the other holidays are no problem for me; only Christmas still needed improvements -- and each year, we're getting better. I paid close attention this holiday to see where I can improve food choices for the next one too.

RUTH ~ I find that my porridge breakfast mix helps me to not only feel full, but it lasts longer for me too; and, if your BSL's are low, it can help bring it up as well. I have that up to 4 days a week now and alternate with eggs or other alternatives for the other days.

Now that the cold weather is here; I am making a lot of homemade soup, which is healthy and a great filler. I like salads too, but I LOVE homemade soup; so I prefer that even more. We are having leftover roast beef and veggies for dinner tonight and it smells ready now ... :D

The temps warmed up and we have had a bit of ***** this afternoon; supposed to be the same for tomorrow then the temps are supposed to go down even more like RUTH has had already. Now that we're older, we do feel the cold more too; yes, it's the age factor. :brr:

Have a terrific Tuesday ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Rosebud I really appreciate the things you share. I guess I am also doing what you do. I am eating a lot of things that I like which keeps me from feeling like I'm on a diet. I am learning there are some foods that are triggers for me and I can't have them. I have also learned that a lot of the foods that I couldn't have on some diets that I thought I had missed and I can have now as long as I watch portions really do not taste as good as I thought they would. I realize that I either don't really care for the food or taste and I don't seem to want them now that I can have them. Strange how being free to eat whatever I really want has changed what I really want. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

pattygirl63
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I have been experiencing some times of dizziness/lightheadedness since my FBS has come down below 110 mg/dl and my BP is steadily back to what I've always thought of as normal for me around 114/60s area. I'm just wondering if my body is having to adjust to being back down to the new lows or if I've got something else going on. I do know I'm also experiencing some sinus issues with all this crazy weather and it could be that. However, I just walked out to the mailbox and back this morning and felt this way. I didn't feel like I was going to faint or anything like that, just not normal feeling. I really thought when things (#s) started getting back to normal that I would feel better than this, however since the night when I couldn't sleep at all when I first experienced this, all I really want to do now is sleep and that's not like me. This also makes me not want to go any where because of feeling this way. Thanks for any help or ideas you may have. I just kind of wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this as you began to get your body back to normal.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
THANKS, TRISH ~ yes, the same thing happened to me; as my eating and lifestyle improved, my BSL's went back down to normal. Then they started to go too low and I started feeling dizzy, nauseated, and light-headed too. At first, I had to lower my Metformin dose; but eventually I had to go off it altogether. Those symptoms stopped when I did. Only now and then do I get that weird "off" feeling that you mention -- when I get too busy and don't eat when I should. Like when it's getting close to a meal time or after one, and I start to feel very hungry and whoozy (as I call it). The only remedy is to eat something ...

No more can I go long periods without eating; I must eat and eat regularly now or my body reacts to that. Usually, when this happens, I realize that I missed eating or am close to when I should eat.

The temps have dropped down here again; but we had lovely :sunny: here today and it was so nice. I hope we get some more as the temps fall. I hope RUTH and others are keeping warm out there. The furnace will be working hard this week, for sure ... :brr:

Have a wonderful Wednesday ladies (and gents?) ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone:
Well went back to work on Monday, and typically, have not planned meals so well, but did my best and weight is almost back to ticker. Am baking a custard this am while I do some laundry so will have a breakfast ready to go if things get busy, which they are doing later today I think. I am having a good breakfast today too and we all know that getting off on the right foot helps a lot.
Had insomnia from 3-5 this am, but got to sleep in so I am not too bad, fbs 5.9 today. THe weather has been crazy, going from deep freeze of -20 C to hovering around the freezing mark yesterday and back down today -8 C. Some fluffly stuff coming down now, and I will go play with and walk the dog for a bit of movement today. can't go to town for yoga class everyday!
Hope everyone has a good day, I can't believe its Wednesday already.

pattygirl63
01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Rosebud and Mad. I read what y'all wrote on the other one too. I have an appt in the morning with my doc. The nurse said for me to check BS and BP if I had another one of those spells. It is so strange to me that I haven't had another one. I hope the doc will be able to help me know what is going on. FBS was 108 mg/dl this morning. BP was 119/69. I've had a pretty good day and I have no problem staying OP with WW.

Cardiologist said DH isn't getting enough fluids and that everything looked with his heart. He thinks some of the problems he is having with his muscles will improve if he starts slowly building up his strength again. So boils down to drink more water, don't take lasix and exercise. Said being diabetic makes him need more fluids. Of course, I know that and DH DD and I have been telling him all these things, but is different when a doc tells you to. The feeling like he is going to black out is because he gets up to fast. Doc said the only thing you can do about that is get up and wait a few seconds before he starts walking or moving around. He said he just has to learn to be careful since there isn't anything they can do about it. He goes back in 6 months.

Let you know what I find out about my situation tomorrow evening.

Oh Rosebud I heard on the weather channel that we may get snow again Tuesday. As much as I love the stuff, I'm not in the mood for any more. I too hope Ruthie is staying warm.

Y'all stay warm and have a great evening and day tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Yup. Ruthie is staying warm and would be even warmer if she'd just get out the manual and learn to programme her new thermostat. I also have a new cellphone, an MP3 player, a camera and a GPS that I need to figure out. You'd never know I am a Computer Science grad!

I ate pretty purely yesterday although the yogurt and agave at bedtime was not on the plan. BGL is 4.3 this morning though and might have been lower if I hadn't gone off plan. Maybe I should have a bedtime snack but, when I have supper at seven, it doesn't seem needed. I did not have wine with dinner - I've been back in that habit lately - not good!

Happy Thursday!

pattygirl63
01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Ruthie Glad to see you this morning.

Quick one as I have to leave to go to doc this morning. I'm excited this morning as my FBS was 96 mg/dl so I'm hoping for good news from the doc.
Have a good one.

BBL

fatmad
01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I am pleased to be on target this am. I did have some wings for supper last night, went out after the births with the other midwives. Also had a big salad though, and was otherwise quite good yesterday, so no gain overnight anyhow.
I went to yoga on Monday evening, but not much exercise since then. So getting hubby in the mood for a trail walk before I go to the office. I was up at 530, and couldn't get back to sleep. I was too tired to get it together to go to the 630 yoga class tho. LOL I am just not a morning exercise person. I can get up and go and work etc in the am, but not exercise. Getting out for a trail walk will be a big deal for me.
Stay warm everyone.

pattygirl63
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Well, the doctor's appt went well. He didn't change my meds, but told me that if I had any more spells like that to be sure to check BS & BP readings. He checked my heart and listened to heart beat in the neck to see how things were and everything seemed okay. He thinks the spell I had at Walmart may have been a reaction to what I ate like when we get sleepy from some foods and the other time, I had not eaten and needed food. I don't eat a lot of fat so he said that when I ate the fried food that it could have caused it.

He wanted to know why I had fainting when a teenager and I told him that the doctors put me in the hospital and ran a bunch of tests and never could find out why. I told him how I ate growing up and that about that time, I had changed and started eating junk food that my body wasn't used to. I told him that when I got older and learned more about nutrition that I had always attributed it to that since I never had them any more.

While there I asked him if I had to eat all the pointts WW says you have to eat. I explained to him that sometimes I get to the place to where I have points left and I'm not hungry, but end up looking for food to eat. Also sometimes when I force the points then I want more. He said that he thought they just didn't want people to be hungry. I told him that I love fruit and veggies so I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and since I'm a night eater that I save my fruit to eat at night. )Come to find out he eats fruit at night as well and said now his children are starting to do the same.) He said if I've eat good during the day and get down to the place where I am just eating to get the pts in that I don't have to eat all of them. He seemed to agree with me that it isn't good to force yourself to eat when you are satisfied and not hungry. He said he does thinl it is more important to eat on a regular schedule each dayso you don't get hungry. He explained to me how things change in our body when we allow ourselves to get to the point that we are really hungry that the body starts doing things to try to get us to realize that it is hungry. Sorry that I can't explain it like he did.

DH had an appt with the blood specialist after we left my doc. He has to go for a CT Scan. Seems that he has a blood factor that causes him to make clots. I don't know why he is just now telling us about this as this is what the cardiologist was looking for. In fact, that is why he sent Tony to the blood specialist. He said that he wanted to know why Tony had these clots in his leg and lungs because he was too young to have this problem. The good news is that he can be treated to keep it from happening, but he needs this scan first. Also tested him for Vitamin D as well. Tony's children will have to have to tested for the same factor and be treated to prevent them from having the problems Tony has had. I'm just thankful that they are finally finding some answers and Thank God that it is treatable.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the way our appt went. I think that for me the next thing is to get regular with exercise. In fact Tony and I both have to.

Mad I understand exactly how you feel about how you can get up to go to work, but not to exercise. I have been thinking the same thing. I get up and go do things I have to do so why don't I get up and exercise. Guess this is one of the 2011 things we got to work on. lol

Y'all have a great afternoon.

fatmad
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
trish, good news about Tony and the clots, not that he has this problem, but that now you know and its treatable. And of course exercise will help prevent clotting. so yes, he must get moving. I usually exercise later in the day. But this am did go for a trail walk with the dog and DH. Was very nice, but brisk and cold, and will be staying cold for the next week. will just get over -15 a few times in the next few days. Plan to go to yoga tomorrow.
We had some good news at work, will have another midwife joining the practice, which will be helpful to distribute workload around a bit. We have been very busy waiting for this so we are all happy. We are really sucky about overbooking because we have some people call who have no other options for maternity care. We just hate to say no to families with poverty issues etc. So we are thrilled to have another lovely person to work with.
Makes my day.

Ruthxxx
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Quiet in here this weekend. I hope it's because we are all having fun.

BGL is 4.3 this morning but weight is up bigtime. I suspect it was the baked beans yesterday. They didn't taste too salty but ... They are now in single serving size freezer containers and will be joining their buddies in The Stash. I wonder if I am now over-sensitive to salt since I've been cutting way back on it.

We have a parish celebration at our Church this morning to kick off our 200th anniversary. Of course there will be a "lunch" afterwards but I will be serving so can avoid that and have something when I get home. I feel I need to be really pure today as I have a doctor appointment tomorrow to discuss med changes.

I'm learning to navigate the potholes in the road of life.! :rofl:

fatmad
01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes, Ruth, have not been posting since we have been quite busy. I am going to take a nap in a few minutes. Haven't been to yoga or for a trail walk this weekend, too busy with work, and tho the afternoon is sunny, its cold (-22 C) and I am needing sleep right now. Scale dipping below ticker, we will see if that lasts.
I had the joy of being midwife to a dear young woman, was my daughter's best friend growing up, so I am like a 2nd mum to her, and think of her as my own too. Lovely birth, beautiful little girl, husband lovely and great thru her nice delivery. But am I tired out. (maybe not compared to them, LOL)
DH is going to cook a nice fish supper and DD will make salad, so will stay on plan today.
Have a good day, and hope your doc appt goes well Ruth.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
:wave: Well, I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted in this thread; but I did read your posts, so I was following along. The temps have really fallen here this weekend -- down to -35 C last night and on the way to -30 C right now. I hate these really low dips; I just feel so chilled :brr: and it stings my legs. I don't mind the snow though ...

I do a lot of reading in the wintertime, esp in the evenings. I come in here almost every day or EOD, if my PC is working OK. I answer emails one day in between though; and sometimes that takes up a lot of time. Have been eating good this week; happy about that ... :D

RUTH ~ sorry the scale is acting up on you; I have to watch the salt too. I made bean soup this week and we had Ham for dinner last night; so we had something different tonight to lessen the salt intake. I don't add salt to the food now (not more than a pinch, I'd say). Someone said drinking water helps flush the salt for us; hope that's true as I've been trying that trick but not sure if it works or not -- I suppose it can't hurt anyways.

TRISH ~ glad the doc appts went well for you and DH ...

MAD ~ get some rest ... ;)

I'm gonna wrap myself up in my queen-size "thick" fleece blanket to keep warm; and then do some more reading tonight -- it's the best thing to do when it's so cold outside. Just relaxing at home this weekend; DH says you can't stay outdoors more than a few minutes and you're freezing ... :brr:

Keep warm, Chickies. Hope you all have a great week coming up too ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Ah Rosebud, good to hear from you, and I know about the cold, we were a bit warmer but the cold was biting nevertheless. Brr. I think even if the salt makes you retain a bit of fluid, the good hearty warm soups and just the thing for the winter cold. I really enjoyed my celeriac soup I made the other day. Warmed me to the bones.
Early to be tonight, so won't chat long. ttfn

Ruthxxx
01-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Today is doctor day and I just saw 202 on the scale! :( So discouraging. However, BGL is 4.2 so I do have something going for me. If I drink lots of water, do you think I can be at 140 by 2 PM this afternoon? :rofl:

pattygirl63
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Ruthie Thanks for the morning chuckle... you are so cute. Hope your doc appt goes well.

DH has doc appt this morning to get results of Friday's CT scan/blood work and are supposed to learn the treatment for his situation. He told us it is treatable. What I read on-line (not sure how much to trust on-line) the treatment doesn't work. However, RN who worked with heart patients in ICU for quite some time said told me yesterday at church that they can insert a filter to filter out any clots that might form and if they suggest that treatment to us for us to do it. So I am praying that God will give us the best treatment for DH situation.

Rosebud So good to hear from you when you can stop by. Miss you when you can't.

Mad That is so sweet that you got to midwife for the woman who is close to you and DD. I know that was a sweet experience for you.

My FBS seems to be more stable and coming down more slowly but that is fine with me. It appears that WW is working for my GLC and the weight will follow I'm sure. May need to tweak what I'm eating a little more. I found a book at Walmart that is put out by Reader's Digest called Reverse Diabetes. It has some good info in it. Found another called The World's Best Power Foods and it show some of the vitamins and benefits of those foods.

Well better run. Got to be sure DH is up as we have to leave soon,

Y'all have a great Monday and stay warm and safe.

pattygirl63
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Back from the docs office with DH. It seems that the blood problem is not severe and is treated with Folic Acid and his D is evidently severely low as he gave him a a prescription for 1 g of Folic acid to take once a day which he started taking Friday and he gave him a prescription for 50,000 mcg of D which he is to take only 1 a week. He said that all the aches and pains that Tony complains about should go away when the D takes affect. I told Tony that I hope I can keep up with him when he starts feeling better.

The CT Scan shows that everything was about the same as the last one last year. However, when I read it, I was glad to see that the lymph glands that were swollen seemed to have shrunk. I have been thanking God ever since we left the docs office.

This has turned out to be a great day for me. Y'all of a great one too.

Ruthxxx
01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Patty, so glad to read the good news about Tony. You both must be extremely relieved. Vitamin D is turning into the next miracle drug. I take extra in the winter and feel great.

Well, my doc visit was very positive. Did I even mention I love Dr Jack? He listens to me. We discussed my BGL and the weight problem and he has made me his "test case" for Victoza. We are leaving all meds the same except adding V. and I am to journal daily for 6 weeks. He told me to stop the glyburide if I start to get morning lows regularly. So ... on I go.

I must also mention that, although my weight was 202 yesterday, he remarked that I've lost weight. I think going to the gym is working because my clothes feel looser.

Anyhow, I will get going on this as soon as I get the prescription filled. We have a wee pharmacy here in Delta (four half days a week) and I will take in the scrip this morning. I'm sure I'll be in shock over the price but I'm hoping my insurance will pay part. Otherwise, the dogs will have to get a paper route.

fatmad
01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
trish, good news. I am on 2000 units of D per day. I take two drops (yes drops, not a pill) of D drops and that does it. Supposed to help with depression, and of course good for bones. I hope it helps Tony and that he can get healthier with your doctor's plan.
Ruth, I hope the Victoza is helpful, and I am glad he gave you permission to drop the glyburide if needed. It seems to be a stumbler for you, and if you have to take a hit of glucose to deal with the lows, makes weight loss hard for you. I think you are being so careful with what you eat that it may not be needed. you do really well most of the time.
I stayed on plan today, so hope to get down by the end of the week if I continue this way.
My baby is doing great, cute as a button, and her parents are doing a great job. How lovely.
GOing to bed early again, I keep getting tired at 930 pm, but what can I do?
the bed is calling me....

Ruthxxx
01-26-2011, 07:00 AM
I love to hear about babies! Right now there are no babies in my life and I am such a fool when I spot one in the doctor's office or at the shopping centre. My kids are "done" and my grands are too young. ** Sigh **

Stayed right on plan yesterday and thought I had a bad low this morning since I woke up before four. I was 3.8 so that's not too bad. I will monitor that carefully once I start the Victoza. It had to be ordered specially by our wee pharmacy and won't be in until tomorrow. One of the side effects can be nausea, same as Byetta, but I am hoping to miss that. I'm lucky to never have that problem - I don't even get seasick - but will stock up on Gravol just in case.

Weight seems to be dropping again - 197.8 this morning. What a mystery our bodies are!

Lindy87
01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Been sick in bed with bronchitis since Sat. Finally starting to feel a little better. Now they say we may get up to 12 inches of snow. So sick of all this snow. Looking forward to spring. Waiting for results from a thyroid sonogram. Hoping all is ok and that meds may help regulate it. Maybe this could all be part of the reason that I have been trouble losing weight. The only good thing about being sick is that I did lose some weight and I have not been hungry for snacks. Hoping that my body is used to not having the snacks and will keep up this trend. Hoping that work will be closed tomorrow so I can have another day to get better and not have to take another day off.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ The temps have come up here the last few days, so we were able to get up town and do some shopping. We had more **** but I love the snow myself: it has it's advantages. We find it cushions around the house and keeps us warmer. I shouldn't have looked at the forecast -- they are expecting -40+C next week: that's it ... I'm hybernating for sure ... ;)

I have been doing stuff around the house; finished my latest book and it was a good one: a funny, Irish one about bachelors who won't commit; so the ladies had to band together to form a "cou" against them. It actually worked. I love my romance books; they all end well and it's like watching a movie, only better ....

RUTH ~ I wish drinking water could do miracles like that; you know, that's what we need, some MIRACLE WATER that melts fat and smooths our skin at the same time. I hope your new med works for you; funny, just before you take your new med, you drop 4+lbs ... you scared your body into losing ... :lol:

LINDY ~ you see, I'm right: snow has some advantages -- a few "SNOW DAYS" aren't so bad, esp when your sick. Hoping and praying you'll be well again real soon ... so you can go back to work! ;)

TRISH ~ so glad to hear that good news; nice to hear my prayers are working so well. I was gonna ask if he was diabetic too; and to suggest watching his sugar intake. I read somewhere that sugar can thicken the blood and that garlic can thin it ... Vitamin E, Flax Oil, and Fish Oil are all natural blood thinners: I take the first two myself. I am also taking the Vitamin D & B Complex too.

MAD ~ glad you are getting some rest. I love homemade soups and make them all the time. Whenever I roast something; I add piles of veggies. Then I put the leftovers in small containers in the freezer; which I use as a base for my HM soups.

Have been doing well with the PP this week; so pleased about that. I do very well with the meals; snacking has always been the area I must work on. I noticed that when I worked in the past, that I didn't snack as much either; I think the key for me is to keep very busy. Hope you all have a great Thursday ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Well, I am now down 6 pounds since Monday morning. Go figure! :shrug: However, I'm still not down to the lovely 192 I was when I got back from Italy. Three years ago today I was just home from the hospital (knee surgery) and was a delightful 189. Somehow, I thought the loss would continue. Guess I should have kept on eating hospital food!

Today I pick up my Victoza and am debating whether to start it today or wait until after the weekend. My cousin Cathy is coming to stay for a few days and I don't really want the possible side-effect of nausea to interfere with enjoying time with her. Decisions, decisions!

I did well on veggies yesterday and am starting to do better on milk. Now to get the salt in check. I used hoisin sauce in my stir-fry last night - 9% DV rather than 49% in soy sauce! I also got a new fish cookbook and may brave fish cookery next week. I have a real mental block about fish but did have salmon in dill and cognac sauce (http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?catIds=cat40002&catIds=119&type=details&next=13&productId=19438) a few weeks ago and liked it. My problem is I cannot imagine fish without white wine! ;)

Happy Thursday and do something nice for your body today. I'm pampering mine with a treadmill session here at home.

fatmad
01-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Ruth, I also love fish, and most seafood too. I didn't like it as a kid, too many bones, or fish sticks. But when I was 14 we went on a big trip to Peru, (my aunt lived in Lima at the time) and had really fresh sea fish well prepped for the first time. I was hooked. I am picky about it, but really like it.
I prefer it usually dining out, (I like to pick things on a menu I don't or seldom make at home) because I don't like the smell lingering in the kitchen. WHen we have it at home, we often use the outdoor grill for that reason.
A good seafood restaurant can make great stuff, they tend to do it "right" I find.
I have a fab recipe for fresh mussels, but it does included white wine.
DH doesn't like salmon much, and thats my fav, but if we grill, I buy him trout and me salmon. (healthy fats etc)
I hope you enjoy fish cooking. South Beach does a lot of that, I bet you can pick up a south beach book at the library and adapt some recipes so the calories are right for you.
Succumbed to some dessert last night (SF icecream) and am up a pound this am. see what happens when you don't stick to plan. Also had some wings for supper, was up last time I had them too, tho they aren't breaded, they are "dusted" and probably too many carbs. We had an office emergency and had to stay quite late, so we ordered in wings to get thru the evening.
Ok, back to plan.
ttfn everyone

Lindyloo
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Good Morning Ladies.

I have just been lurking lately and just reading everyone's updates.

Took DH to the hospital on Monday for the procedure that he should have had a couple of weeks ago. Everything went well, although he has to go back again, so we are waiting for the doctor to call with another appt.

It's been very nice here for the last couple of days, Yesterday was 11 and it's supposed to be the same today. That should make all the snow disappear quickly. I love it when the chinooks come in.

DH is taking me and a couple of friends out for dinner tomorrow night. It's my 65th birthday. I can't believe that I'm a senior citizen:dizzy: I sure don't feel like one.

Had some good news yesterday. My grandsons wife (she is only 27 and they have a 2 year old son) had been diagnosed with melanoma a few weeks ago. They removed her lymph node for testing and they got the results back yesterday. The cancer hasn't spread any further than the original site. She will still undergo treatment with a clinical trial but they can now get on with the healing and their lives.

Have a great day and :wave: to everyone.

pattygirl63
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Aquick flyby just to say hi:wave: and I'm still here. Yesterday was too carby so will try to do more low carb type day today. Today is Tony's and my anniversary and we are going to NC shopping and to eat. So I'll get back to y'all later today.

Y'all have a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
LINDYLOO ~ sent up prayers for you GD-in-law and family for restored health and peace. Goods news there and a big relief, I'm sure.

RUTH ~ 6 lbs now; you must be doing something right ... :D

Much milder today; the :sunny: peaked out a tiny bit. We have some ***** falling right now; nice big fluffy flakes -- it looks pretty! Had baked chicken breasts with loads of different veggies; put leftovers in containers for my soup. Just did laundry and stuff around home today ... have a FABULOUS FRIDAY LADIES ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm in suspense! The Victoza is supposed to arrive at the pharmacy this morning but I am debating when to start it. I've been reading up on side-effects and it seems nausea is one of the most common. I'm hoping Gravol will help that if it occurs. Another suggestion I've read is to take the shot at night and sleep through the side effects. (They go away after a week or so.) I have company tomorrow and Sunday, a friend and her kids coming for Sunday dinner and a big day Monday. Hmmm. I wish I had a Mom to decide these things for me.

Lindyloo, :hb: and 65 is nothing! I'm 72 and have a sign on my fridge that says "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" Quite frankly, I feel 40 without the symptoms of menopause.

Timoba
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Hello!! Popping in to say I'M BACK! I had surgery a couple of weeks ago and now I'm ready to get back on track. I'm feeling good and keeping a positive attitude.

pattygirl63
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
:bday2you: Lindyloo I agree with Ruthie Being 65 isn't so bad. I am 67 and actually don't feel a 6 y/o woman. Many times I have to remember that I'm a Senior citizen because I don't feel like what I think one should. Love the fact that we have progressed to the place of nice hairdos and no buns and having to look "old". Have fun when you go out to dinner. Glad things worked out good for you GS's wife.

Rosebud Thanks for the encouragment and prayers for my DH. Didn't know that blood sugar thickens the blood.

Ruthie I seldom have strong side effects on things like others either although I did have some with Metformin. I hope things go easy for you getting on the Victoza. I have often thought I would love to be able to ask my Mama or advise too. So I totally undertand about those :?: moments.

Mad I too love fish, but DH doesn't share my love for it. I read in the power foods book that some types of fish are power foods. I always fried fish when previous hubby was living as he loved fish as much as I do. I would love to be able to find some good fish recipes that this DH would love since we both need to eat it more often.

Timoba I don't think we know each other. I must have come here since you were here. WELCOME Back and I look forward to getting to know you. What surgery did you have and how are you doing now?

Ended up staying up way to late watching tv with DH, but then it was our anniversary. Today I am actually tired and it has felt like Saturday all day. I go to get hair done tomorrow and need to go have my nails redone, but may wait and get them done Monday morning.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
:woo:HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDY :woo:

TRISH ~ I meant sugar as in candies, sweets, sugar, etc. Yes, I read on the net somewhere that sugary things can contribute to thickening of the blood. It was some time ago now so I don't recall the source, but that is interesting info. It also said that dark green veggies with vitamin K in them can do that too, but you can have them in moderation (ie 1/2 cup serving); and you can just peel the skin off things like cukes & zucchini and such.

RUTH ~ my mother passed away when I was 34 y/y; so we don't have a mother to call for advice, but I do have a really nice step-mother who we can chat with now & then. Both my DH's parents are deceased as well, so we only have one parent left (my Dad). Sometimes I look up and say to GOD -- too bad we couldn't call you for advice sometimes so we'd know what to do, but then I read my bible every day so that is a guide; as is going on the net these days. There is sure a lot of info on the net; but you do have to take some of it with a grain of salt or you could end up paranoid ... :lol:

We had a wee ***** storm last night with blowing northernly winds; but it stopped by morning and we had lovely :sunny: all day long. The temps have dropped back down to -20 C tonight, so I'll put my firesplace stove on to keep us toasty warm ...

Have a wonderful weekend ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
01-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Quick Hi and then I need to plunge into my busy weekend.

I got brave and took the first dose of Victoza last night before dinner. No nausea ... so far. I do have Gravol in case it happens but I am keeping my fingers crossed. BGL was 3.7 this morning, a bit low despite having a small potato with dinner last night. I'll certainly have to keep an eye on it and ditch the glyburide if need be.

Breakfast at the diner with my cousin will be a bit of a challenge this morning. The smell of bacon just kills me but I'll settle for two poached eggs on brown toast while she and her DH have eggs, bacon, sausage and the devastating home fries! Cathy will be here for lunch (bean soup) and her DH will join us for dinner after skiing all day. I'm making yummy and easy salsa chicken (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/47848-easy-salsa-baked-chicken.html) with a cherry pie for dessert. I'll have no problem dealing with the pie. Her DH is a big guy who will have a voracious appetite after skiing all day!

Hope your weekend is peaceful and has lots of fun moments.

pattygirl63
01-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Rosebud Yes, I realized after I wrote that you said sugar meaning anything sweet. I did know about Vitamin K, but didn't know cucumbers and zuchinni was included in that. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Ruthie So glad you had no problem with the Victoza and Ihope it remains that way for you. Good luck today with it.

I can't do the WW plan. It is a great plan but too generalized and I'm over doing the fruits on it. While I've decided that the principle is good, I think need to be more precise with the calories so I'm back to counting them. I'm sorry to have to admit that I'm not the kind of person you can tell that some foods are 0 points. I need more discipline than that. So I got rid of all the "problem" foods and I'm back on track. I just decided that after a few days of out of control eating which I have a tendency to do on WW that I cannot let it keep going down hill. So today, I'm back in control.

Beautiful day today. :sunny: makes it feel nice and warm. Will be like this for a few days and then :rain: again for 3 days, but at least no more *** like others north of us. So no complaints here.

Ruthxxx
01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Still no side effects from the V. except weight is dropping, probably because I just don't feel hungry. From 202 to 194 seems unbelievable. I did not take glyburide last night and was FBGL 7.8 so it's not knocking down the count ... yet!
I am going to have to plan three squares and then eat them. I never thought I'd have to force myself to eat - it's a miracle. :)

fatmad
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone. Happy Birthdays, Happy Anniversary, Happy new meds, happy snow day. Well, it is snowing here. Haven't been by for a few days, and that is NOT good. I am going off the rails!:(
I am overcarbing again. Just let myself indulge in a whole grain breakfast cereal, and next thing I know I am going off plan, to the point of bingeing last night at a house concert that had too many good snacks. Terrible. But at least the music was great.
FBS this am 6.4 as a result, and deserved too.
Feeling crummy. Gonna do a trail walk this afternoon, and plan meals for the next few days. THought the weekend would be busier for work, so have been at loose ends a bit.
A dear friend had to quit work in the last couple of weeks, she is having real difficulty with short term memory and there is concern that is may be early onset dementia of some sort. She is only sixty, and none in her family. I hope there is a treatable cause and she can manage better. At least she is aware of things and can make decisions about herself and her care.
Tuesday I leave for 3 days in the big city again, working for my association and negotiating. Since I walk all the time that helps. Also found a yoga studio near the hotel I stay at, so will go to yoga in the evenings.
Thanks everyone for your posts, I just love reading about what is up with everyone.

pattygirl63
01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, we did make it to church this morning, but didn't make it tonight. Went to bed last night with a headache and woke up with one. Feeling kind of spaced right now... just feel I need some sleep.

I got my book I ordered last week from Rodale. I had quit buying these books, but just felt I needed to read it. Glad I did. I found out what was causing the problems that I've been feeling which I thought was the blood sugar. Turns out it is the OTC meds I take for my sinuses. I don't take it all the time which is why I didn't have the reactions consistently. It is the Walmart brand of Clairitan D. I was reading the part on diabetes and it named that brand and some others and named all the things I felt... the dizziness/lightheadedness, tremors as well as some other things which I didn't have all of them. So it is good to know what the culprit was.

Also got a little book that tells how to lose weight and keep it off and it is pretty much the WW Points Plus plan so I may tweek the plan and continue using it. I do see from all that I've read that I do have to get a good exercise program going for myself. My biggest thing is to find the time and then get started and stay committed to it. This is a busy week. Nail salon tomorrow, DH has dental appt Tuesday and doctor appt Thursday.

Mad Have a safe trip.

Ruthxxx
01-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Still no side effects from the Victoza except lack of appetite. I must admit I am feeling queasy this morning but know why. I had friends for dinner last night and ate very little although I managed my share of the wine. Gotta watch that. I am planning to skip gym this morning and maybe sneak in a wee nap. This is a busy week but doesn't crank up completely until this afternoon.

fatmad
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
RUth: Glad the side effects are minimal. It sounds like the hard part will be making sure you eat enough! LOL, this should bring the ticker down!
I am having trouble in the mornings, eating right, and that sets the tone for the day. If I have a higher carb breakfast, even if its "good" carbs, I want them all day, and resistance is futile.
there is a "Cora's" restaurant around the corner from my hotel in Toronto, so at least on Wed and Thurs I can eat right. Will do some hard cooked eggs for tomorrow morning. This am made a mushroom omelette. I am eating it, but not really into it.
Trish, just keep plugging away. I am not a morning exerciser, but many people find they can commit if they just get up and DO IT. (funny, just the thought/plan to do early morning exercise gives me insomnia. LOL)
I do mine in the afternoon, after work and before supper seems perfect for me.
Happy Monday everyone.

pattygirl63
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Good Morning Chickies. I'm up early for me. Decided not to go get nails done today; I'll do that tomorrow. Decided Monday is a new day am going to start doing my 30 min R. Simmons aerobics dvd "Sweatin' to the Oldies". I don't know I I'll be able to do the full 30 minutes or not, but I love the music. I found out doing some checking on side effects of meds that my Fenoibrate may be what causes my legs to ache so bad when I exercise. So may have to talk to doc about coming off of it. It is for lowering trigycerides and he had told me that they would come down with exercise and I'd rather do it that way. I'm also keeping the WW P+ plan just tweaking it to healthier eating as it should be any way.

Well, better get going here or I'll never get to the exercising and I want to get a routine going here.

Ruthie Hope things are still going good with the V.

Everybody have a great Monday.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ so glad the temps didn't go down as far as forecasted; just in the -23C area last night. We had lovely :sunny: all day today; perfect for going shopping. Got lots of walking in today; and picked up lots of veggies, salad stuff, and lean meats at good prices too.

Ate well last week; looking forward to a good month coming up too. Have a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
02-01-2011, 07:01 AM
New month and new Chat.