Exercise! - We Play Wii Games - January Challenge

Vladadog
12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
I slacked off on the Wii once the weather got nice last spring and haven't really gotten back in the habit even though I know it's good for my balance and flexibility.

So I'm starting this challenge to motivate me to get back in the habit. I promise to do 90 minutes a week of "Fit Plus" plus a little for a total of 400 minutes this month. And if I meet this goal I'm rewarding myself with one of the dance games - sounds like "Just Dance 2" is the way to go but I'd love to hear what others recommend.

Who else is up for a January Wii challenge?

slmoors
12-31-2010, 07:12 PM
I have had Zumba for Wii for a week and I love it. I am committed to use it at least 4 days a week for 30 minutes.

moonkissed
12-31-2010, 07:51 PM
One of my goals going into the new year is to move everyday! So I decided that every single day I will do the Wii.

I have Wii fit plus & my fitness coach. So should be fun.

That Zumba looks like fun. I had Just Dance but idk the disc just got scratched somehow and now refuses to work. Makes me sad.

But idk if I can get it yet my husband goes crazy over how much fitness stuff I have bought lol

fatmad
12-31-2010, 09:51 PM
One of my goals going into the new year is to move everyday! So I decided that every single day I will do the Wii.

I have Wii fit plus & my fitness coach. So should be fun.

That Zumba looks like fun. I had Just Dance but idk the disc just got scratched somehow and now refuses to work. Makes me sad.

But idk if I can get it yet my husband goes crazy over how much fitness stuff I have bought lol

hmm, wait until you are buying lots of new clothes for the new body you are getting!

LOL, between yoga memberships, and fitness stuff, I spend too much, but its worth it to keep me moving. No gym where I am, so have to have stuff at home.
I am up for a challenge of using the wii on a regular basis if outside stuff isn't available. I want to cross country ski quite a lot this month, but today the weather is warm, and it will be a few days before its cold enough for more snow.
I am disappointed that the wii cross country ski program isn't at all like skiing, but there are other activities that are fun.
Will use the wii on days when I can't get to yoga or ski.

Vladadog
01-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I work the graveyard shift and mostly use the Wii there on breaks rather than plop myself in front of the TV for another Law & Order rerun. Recently the reruns have been winning but I'll be back at work Sunday night and I will get out the Wii!

At home my exercise is mostly walking in the woods with the dogs or stacking firewood.

Retro
01-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll join. I've had a Wii for almost 2 years and never play it. I've had Wii Fit for probably the same length and used that about twice. With my new regimen I definitely plan on using it more.
Amazon has the Golds Gym game on sale for 12 bucks so I'm getting that too.

meencanta22
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I LOVE my wii. i love working out with the biggest loser challenge. it gets my blood pumping and me sweating off that weight. every time you play you workout to a different routine. im thinking about getting the active 2 workout. anyone played it?

mumtoliam
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone! I would love to join you. I have quite a few Wii fitness games. I have Wii Active plus more workouts for Wii active, Wii Fit and Wii fit Plus, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, and lastly Yoga experience.

Yesterday I started with Gold's Gym and did a Cardio workout, and I did a 20 minute workout with more workouts for Wii active. 30 minutes total.

I have a recharger for my Wii fit balance board, but I can't get it working, so I am off to get batteries so I can also use that in my workout.

Wii games make working out fun, and changes it up a bit.

Retro
01-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I just went to Best Buy and returned a Christmas gift for Wii Fit Plus & The Biggest Loser Challenge. I'm excited to try this out but my TV is on the floor right now. I'm gonna see if I can still make it work out with my TV on the floor until it gets mounted.

fatmad
01-01-2011, 10:58 PM
well, didn't get to the wii, but did a 30 minute brisk walk with the dog. quite warm here today (6 degrees C) and the snow was mostly melted, so got outside for a bit.

shan84
01-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I would love to join in.

My goal is at least one hour a day on the Wii.

Today I did one hour and a half. I did Wii Fit and the Biggest Loser Challenge.

shan84
01-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Checking back in. Today I did 1hr10 min on the Wii. A 30 minute Wii Fit Step Aerobics and 40 minutes of Jillian Michaels Ultimate Fitness Challenge 2010. Feeling great!

mumtoliam
01-03-2011, 06:50 AM
I spent some time last night trying to get my Wii balance board working. ARGHHH! I will try again tonight. I tried to do a Wii Fit step workout but it wouldnt register me moving my right foot. I will try it with Gold's Gym Cardio workout to see if its the game or the board. Sadly my Wii balance board is older than the warranty.

So anyway yesterday was only a total of ten minutes. I then jumped on my exercise bike. LOL

mumtoliam
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Just finished a Gold's Gym 15 minute cardio workout and decided to try the Balance board thing again with Wii Active plus workouts... does the blue light thingy have to be facing you or the tv. I turned the board around and it may be working better now. LOL I did a further 20 minutes with the Wii active but without the balance board as I didnt know if it was working properly.

chubbychick66
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
ok thats it....i'm dusting off the wii and gonna set it up and join in!!!:D

shan84
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Vanessa- My blue light is facing me.

zoritsa
01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
A few days late,but I'll join you all! I will commit to myself to doing 30 minutes every day.I have a variety to choose from,but my favorites are DDR3,JD2,and WIO.I may have to dust off the EA Active though.

mumtoliam
01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks Shan! I had it the wrong way round the first night, and couldn't find any instruction booklets.

Zoritsa - What is WIO?

zoritsa
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks Shan! I had it the wrong way round the first night, and couldn't find any instruction booklets.

Zoritsa - What is WIO?

Walk It Out.The packaging looks like it's geared towards kids,but it's kind of like an interactive Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sanson dvd's.You walk in place to music in a virtual world and unlock buildings,trees,rainbows,etc.I love it.It's cute and I tend to lose track of time when walking.

I use the DDR mat to track my steps,otherwise you use the wiimote and nunchuk,but that turned me off because it would miss steps.

aphil
01-04-2011, 07:36 AM
My absolute favorites are the Just Dance 1 & 2...quite honestly the funnest cardio I have ever done...I even get my kids to do it with me. For those of you who have the Just Dance games...my friend recently bought the Michael Jackson game, and she said it is like Just Dance, but with MJ songs and choreos...she loves it.

Retro
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I did 30 minutes of The Biggest Loser Challenge. Hopefully I'll do yoga on Wii Fit tonight.

Does anyone have weights that you put on your wii controller? I think that would go really well with the workout.

mumtoliam
01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Zoritso - Walk it out - sounds good!!!! I just don't have a dance mat. Hmmmm

Hi Retro! Yes I have weights that go on the Wii remote. I use them with Active and yes you certainly feel the workout.

ferretgirl
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I did 40 min of the Zumba game yesterday (20 min Beginner Workouts 1 & 2) :D I like Party Mode better than Classes Mode because it literally checks off the workouts you complete. Has anyone messed with the online features yet? I think it'll let us zumba together but haven't looked into it since I don't want to be dancing online in front of strangers (other than 3fc/workout buddies), lol ;)

mumtoliam
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
ferretgirl - that sounds like another game I might have to invest in.

Yesterday was a rest day. But I weighed in and lost 0.8 kg or 1.7 pounds. Tonight I have my first ever personal training session. It is outdoors, so I hope it stays sunny. I will not workout before it though. After Tuesday's Wii active session my hip muscles were aching. I don't think they have been used ever LOL But I will be Wiiing it on Friday.

Catch you later...

GabrielleEmersyn
01-06-2011, 03:25 AM
I have access to my parents Wii twice a week, so my aim is to do 80 minutes a week... starting next week, since this week was all messed up due to new years & preschool not being on...

Vladadog
01-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Well, this week didn't start out well with the Wii but I got an hour in tonight. My piggy bank reached 30 hours too and I was hoping it would turn another color but it didn't.

Bamagurl
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Started the Wii Biggest Loser Challenge game today. I like the challenges the most. I think I am gonna have to get a dance game just to break up the routine and have fun. I am considering the Zumba game if I can find one. Everyone is sold out now.

Haley8203
01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi all, we just got a Wii for Xmas, I do have Wii fit but I'm too heavy for the board at the moment. My daughter loves Wii fit games so she uses it right now haha. I've started the Biggest Loser Challenge, just without the board. I really want to try JD2 and Zumba, I'll have to check Blockbuster in hopes of trying out the games...

Bamagurl
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Finally found a Zumba game at Target. It was fun. Even though I am total spaz when I first start something this game allowed me to see when I was getting the moves correctly or almost spot on. It was encouraging to see the instructor turn green more than I would have thought.;)

And I am still sweating..15 minutes later..wow!

ferretgirl
01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Yay, Bamagurl- that zumba gets tough! It really is encouraging when the dancer turns green and cheers you on.

Still liking Party Mode over Class Mode since its checking off each workout completed. Class Mode gives you the entire "workout directory" to choose from, but I rather see them checked off as I do them.

Here's my zumba gameplay total for this week:
1/3- 20 min beginner workouts 1 & 2
1/4- 20 min beginner workouts 1 & 2
1/5- 20 min intermediate workouts 1 & 2
1/6- 45 min intermediate workout 1
1/7- 45 min intermediate workout 2

I'm interested to try The Biggest Loser now, after hearing some feedback on it :) My calves are sore from all the zumba legwork, but I'll get back on it Monday. Good Luck and Kudos, y'all :D

jlee10
01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I know I am starting a little late, but I am going to commit to do 400 minutes by the end of the month.

mumtoliam
01-10-2011, 05:22 AM
I have enjoyed playing with my son - it doesnt feel like it will make a difference as it sooooo much fun but I certainly have results. I weighed into today at WW and I have lost another 0.6kg.

My Wii Fit is set up to do the Body Test every two weeks, I also set a goal when doing it, anyway when I did it today it says I have lost 2.2 kg in two weeks, I like that. WW says I have lost 1.4kg. Any figure I am losing, and that is what I am trying to achieve.

Retro
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I did about 45 minutes of Gold's Gym workout and it was so fun! It made me want to take up boxing now. But now today my neck and right arm hurt. I burned 275 calories during that 45 minutes too!

mandalinn82
01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Gold's gym still makes ME sore! Hang with it, it gets better. I can't do it right now with my shoulder being screwy :(

Just Dance 2 folks...Katy Perry's "Firework" is free if you go to buy new songs. Fun!

Andejean
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Okay ladies. I will use my Wii 45 minutes every day that I do not go to the gym (not including the time it takes to check in to wii fit plus.) Today I spent an hour on Your shape with Jenny McCarthy, and I am beat! Tomorrow is a gym day, so no wii, well, maybe...

CosmicGal
01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I have a wii also...I'll do this clallenge also. I am kind of throwing myself in here. But I don't think I'll do too much.

I can do the Wii play for a bit and then Just dance. I really like that one and have a lot of fun with it. So. I'll do it maybe for an hour a day? I dont' think that is too much.

dietcokehead98
01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I started the Biggest Loser game last Sunday. I chose Bob as my trainer and did yoga first-oy, the soreness! I ran with my dog on Monday and last night went back to the Wii for my next workout on the Wii and I did lower body core. I was SWEATING! I am so out of shape. It is fun though.
My only issue is that my remote sometimes doesn't see the bar, so my calories aren't being logged. It said that in a 25 minute workout, I only burned 30 calories. I call BS! :)

Lily In Bloom
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a Wii and I've been trying to get into it, but the only fitness game I have right now is WiiFit, and I'm really bored of it. Some of the games mentioned in this thread sounded really interesting, like the Zumba one, and I was also kinda interested in Wiifit plus, which I don't have. Maybe a new game or two would get my motivation back up...

amanda8o
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
sign me up i bought myself a wii fit plus last year and i think i've only used it like twice after weighing myself i get so disappointed the next day i just can't seem to get myself motivated to use it but this sounds like a plan and I'm in

mumtoliam
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Since my renewed interest in the Wii, my dear son has also renewed his interest in playing it, we are now fighting over it. LOL

I just have to wait until he goes to bed now.

Gold's Gym is great - I do that daily. I just remembered I have Your Shape. I am gonna have to find that one. I have never played it LOL Tonight's workout.

CosmicGal
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Well I was going to start today, but I decided to go ahead and do some time on the wii before bed last night.

So in the last two days. I have done two hours on wii fit plus. I did an hour of free step both days, followed by the seven minute relax routine afterwords.

Jumpin Thru Hoops
01-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Vanessa, isn't that the way with kids. I, too, am dualing with my son to use the Wii, although he hasn't so much as looked at it in months.

I started the 30 day challenge on Wii Active January 3rd, and feel really good. I'm also walking on a treadmill 30 minutes a day, and on my rest days, I do the Wii Fit Plus yoga exercises. I must confess that this is the fourth time I've started the 30 day challenge, and I haven't finished yet... this time I will!

CosmicGal
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Did another hour of Free Step today. Watched a show about Anchient Egypt while I did it. Man my calves HURT!

Checked out a few other games, as I am not to into the yoga on the wii fit plus.

zoritsa
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Last week I worked on DDR3.This week I'm stepping it up a bit and adding The Biggest Loser in.I did an 18 minute yoga workout and then did 20 minutes of DDR3.

Today I'm going to see what other workouts TBL has and work on one of those.

zoritsa
01-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Since my renewed interest in the Wii, my dear son has also renewed his interest in playing it, we are now fighting over it. LOL.

LOL...here too,but I'm lucky that I can do my workout before my youngest gets home from school.If I wait till evening though,all bets are off and then I have to fight with my oldest sons girlfriend.She's trying to lose weight too,and has been playing the wii at night.

Heidi58
01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Zoritso - Walk it out - sounds good!!!! I just don't have a dance mat. Hmmmm. Walk It Out works great with the balance board.

astrophe
01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I just got "Walk It Out" and we're enjoying it. It revived my interest too. I think we were a bit tired of Wii Fit Plus and needed a new island to look at!

LOL.

A.

moon safari
01-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Hey all, I LOVE my Wii. My parents got it for me and my brother but I'm the only one who ever uses it. I would love to join in on this challenge, even though it's part way thru the month. I think I can do 30 min a day, time seems to fly when I'm playing.

What are you guys' favorite games? I love Just Dance and DDR Hottest Party as far as dance games go and I like Wii Fit Plus for the rhythm boxing and yoga.

moon safari
01-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Did another hour of Free Step today. Watched a show about Anchient Egypt while I did it.

Dumb question but-how do you watch tv while you're doing it? Does it keep logging your steps indefinitely? I haven't ever done the free step or the free run, just the regular ones.

CosmicGal
01-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Dumb question but-how do you watch tv while you're doing it? Does it keep logging your steps indefinitely? I haven't ever done the free step or the free run, just the regular ones.

yes it does actually. you hold the remote. Well I just stuff it in my bra, and it counts out in a tick tock sound your steps. you can speed up the steps to get more of a work out. I did that today. Then I just switch it back to the t.v. section and turn it on a channel I want and watch while I step.

I did my hour, where I normally get about 5 thousand steps in I got a little over Seven this time by spedding it up. Was a pretty good work out. Watched ghost adventures.

jlee10
01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Everyone was talking about how much they love Just Dance,
so I bought it. Well, actually Just Dance 2.
I absolutely love it! I can only do like 4 songs without needing
a break, but it totally makes me want to play more.

I have decided to up my minutes to 500!
Just ordered Just Dance 1.

moon safari
01-15-2011, 09:08 PM
yes it does actually. you hold the remote. Well I just stuff it in my bra, and it counts out in a tick tock sound your steps. you can speed up the steps to get more of a work out. I did that today. Then I just switch it back to the t.v. section and turn it on a channel I want and watch while I step.

I did my hour, where I normally get about 5 thousand steps in I got a little over Seven this time by spedding it up. Was a pretty good work out. Watched ghost adventures.

Okay I tried it but it only does 30 minutes at a time. Do you have to unlock the hour long one or something?

CosmicGal
01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Okay I tried it but it only does 30 minutes at a time. Do you have to unlock the hour long one or something?

Yes only in the thirty minutes. I take a very short break inbetween, Long enough to drink some water and then hit the buttons again to get started. I don't know if it opens up an hour long step, that would be awesome if it did. Maybe after I do more on it, it will.

yesterday. Did the hour of step and worked on the seven minute Figure routine. I really like the fact tht I can speed it up. Really makes me feel like I am getting a work out.

CosmicGal
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Past two days. I did the wii free step...this time tonight I added weights to it and felt it was a really good work out!

Thinki that I might pick up a new work out dvd to go along with the wii. Thinking about picking up the 30 day shred and doing that in the morning sense I do the step thing at night. So how are 'y'all doing?

moon safari
01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
The free run has been a little hard on my knees so I've been running on a folded up yoga mat and trying to do only 10/20 minutes at a time to get my heart rate up.

The free step is good but I want to get a riser for my balance board to make it a little more challenging.

CosmicGal
01-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh that is a good great idea. My husband does the free run and he has been complaining about his knees. I'll have to tell him about it!

One more hour with the free Step and did ten minutes worth of the yoga routines. Still using the hand weights and wow did I feel it this morning in my arms.

surfnmom
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Just bought zumba yesterday after reading so many good things about it. Plan on starting today.

Glad I found a group that likes to play as they are getting a workout.

This is going to be so funny trying to learn the steps. Those of you that have the zumba did it take you long to learn the routines?

Any way would like to do this daily. Well check back later

jlee10
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
My friend and I did all 44 songs on Just Dance 2 last night. PHEW!

surfnmom
01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Was going to try my zumba but with Dh home thought Id rather make a fool of myself when no one id around lol. So in stead played 27 holes of tiger woods golf and may bowl some in a bit. I figure any kind of moving is a good thing.

dogsrule
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I use Active Sports One and Two... love them, especially the use of the resistance bands which gives the muscles a good workout. I just started back up on it after too long - my thighs and butt are aching a bit, so I know it is working on the areas that need it most! Thinking about buying the Zumba game; sounds like people are enjoying it.

surfnmom
01-25-2011, 09:47 AM
OK did my zumba, and tried the beginning workout. well, 2 min. and it was kicking my butt. messed with the tutorials then did another couple min. so total was 45 min. Now it was not fun yet, but I am so out of shape don't know the steps. I am sure once I can do it then it well be a blast. Going to do it again this morning. and well let you know how I did lol. it is a killer

u2can
01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
With Zumba and or Just Dance 2, how long are the workout? Are they full songs or are they short periods like the balance games & such with constant restarts? I'd really like to get one or both, but having a hard time deciding.

jayohwhy
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
With Zumba and or Just Dance 2, how long are the workout? Are they full songs or are they short periods like the balance games & such with constant restarts? I'd really like to get one or both, but having a hard time deciding.

hi, i was just lurking the thread because i LOVE just dance 2..:o

for just dance 2, it's whole songs, so its about 3 and a half minutes, and then there is like a 45 second lag in between and then you can choose your next song-- with the just sweat option in the game, it logs the amount of calories you burn and keeps track how much you do every day which is kind of nice.

i LOVE the game as a way to exercise and would highly recommend..

surfnmom
01-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Zumbie is challenging to say the least, but I sure once I get it down then it will be a real fun work out.

need to look up the just dance 2 on you tube may get that on next, like the calorie burn counter.

jayohwhy whats the highest you've hit on the calories burned?

ryverthorn
01-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Has anyone playing EA Sports Active 2 set up any workout groups ? It would be cool to have a 3FC group :D

Vladadog
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, this month was a total bust for me as far as the Wii goes but I'm looking forward to getting it out of the closest more often in February!

CosmicGal
01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Got a new game for the Wii. The Biggest loser challenge. I kept up with my one hour of step a day and did the fitness assignment last night for the game. Wow that about killed me!

jayohwhy
01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Zumbie is challenging to say the least, but I sure once I get it down then it will be a real fun work out.

need to look up the just dance 2 on you tube may get that on next, like the calorie burn counter.

jayohwhy whats the highest you've hit on the calories burned?

According to the thing ive burned 700 but I think it might be inflated... I do feel like it is a workout though and I move and sweat and am sore aftee

SDV219
01-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm keeping up with my Wii Fit, although I'm finding that I'm getting a little bored ... not actually with the workout itself, b/c I always feel it, especially the yoga and strength training exercises, but I think I need something new ... for variety sake! ;)

I've also started the C25K and I'm loving that!! It makes me excited to just get in shape and not have to huff and puff up the two flights of steps!! So improvement I am seeing.

So I'm debating, what should be my next addition?? Zumba or EA Active 2??

ETA: JayOhWhy ... where is your avatar from?? I used to have this from somewhere but I can't remember?? I'd love to see my before and after pics!!

berryblondeboys
01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Obviously way late, but I just rejoined after 12-13 years away today! Anyway, I've been doing "walk it out" which is great for getting back into things. So fr this month I've used it 26 hours and have walked 81 miles!

jayohwhy
01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
ETA: JayOhWhy ... where is your avatar from?? I used to have this from somewhere but I can't remember?? I'd love to see my before and after pics!!

it is from this website called prevention that doesn't exist anymore.. :[

berryblondeboys
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, just finished up for January. I've been using Walk it Out. By the end of the month, I elminated all slow songs or anything below 130 bpm. And I walked it out 91.4 miles (just finished an hour ago for today with a strong finish - 5.0 miles, 17700 steps in 70 minutes).

Crabbykate
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I've heard some great things about this :carrot:

berryblondeboys
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM

it is from this website called prevention that doesn't exist anymore.. :[

You can make them for free on other sites. I'm using one on my blog and just did it a month ago, so, I'm going to assume it still works. Or course, you'll have to save the image to your computer to use it here (or elsewhere), but it's a good motivational tool, I agree.

Here is the link:

Ugh.... need to make three more posts. just a sec!

berryblondeboys
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Ok, here's the link:

http://www.mvm.com/cs/

Broadzilla
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm so in!! I've been using Just Dance 2 since Christmas day, and have lost 13 pounds. I love it! Not sure what my next game purchase will be, because I'm not bored with this one yet. LET'S DO THIS!!! :carrot:

Porthardygurl
02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
oh boy oh boy..people who use wii fit..finally! I do wii fit every day.. i use the biggest loser challenge and do the boxer-fit program at moderate level for an hour.. i burnt off 750 calories doing that today and then did wii fit plus and burnt another 50 off totalling 800 cals for the day..and man am i pooched..time for bed..cant wait to do it tommorow.

Broadzilla
02-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Just got my Wii fit board for $50 and the game for $2.99 at Gamestop....lightly used. Hoping it keeps me interested like Just Dance does!

elaine19
02-10-2011, 08:32 AM
are you still running this challenge? have you begun a new one for february? I just gave up my Y membership, and I am goign to use my Wii sor working out now. would LOVE the company!