Exercise! - January Running!!!

View Full Version : January Running!!!

ncuneo
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Good morning everyone and happy New Years Eve! So I know I'm early, but I so wanted to start this month'ss thread for many reasons. The obvious ones, it's a new month, a new year and because I've never gotten to start the running thread!

But more because this month's thread is pretty special to me. January 2011 marks the one year anniversary of when I started running seriously. I'd run in high school as a source of exercise and a little bit in the begining of my weight loss journey. But last January, I had hit the preverbal plateau of losing the weight for the second time and decided that it was time to start doing something about it. So, like many of you, I started running. It was tough at at first. 5 mins was difficult, but within a month or so I could do a mile. By April I was up to 3 miles and I was addicted. I never expected to fall in love with running the way I did and by July I was at my "goal" and ready for a bigger challenge, so I signed up for a half marathon and officially started calling myself a running. The training was a challenge but so rewarding and in November I ran my first half marathon.

Today, I'm still logging in the miles, about 20-25 a week, and I'm 10 lbs past my goal putting me at about 50 lbs lost in a year and a total loss of 130 lbs in the last 4 years.

I've got some big plans for 2011, I'm registered for my next half in August and will likely do one next New Years Eve as well. I'm setting a goal for myself of 1000 miles in 2011, but with my training for the halves I'm hoping to beat that. The big picture is the LA Marathon in 2012, but mentally I'm having a really difficult time imagining running 26.2, so I'm not committing to anything on that front yet.

So what are your goals for the new year and the new month?

Happy running in 2011!

joyfulloser
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
My goals for tomorrow are the same as they were yesterday and today..haha! That is, to continue running and incorporating weight training (so far...so good), and increasing my pull ups (up to 3..woot!)....and of course, to get down to my goal weight of 150 lbs @14%bf!:)

My running goals are simply to be able to run 5 miles. I will not ever run more than this because I would like to be able to walk when I'm 65 yrs old...without the help of a walker..lol! But 5 miles is my ultimate goal. Right now...I'm up to 4.3 miles @5.0mph. Speed is a "non-issue" for me as I do not have hopes of entering into the olympics, nor am I interested in running publicly held races (at least, right now..that is).

My goals (as always) are to keep listening to my body...and to take it places when and where it will allow me to go! Living each day as if it were my last...as tomorrow is not promised to me (not even if it's a new year or an old year...)

Aclai4067
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm going to join in this thread because I need some serious accountability this month. See, I'm involved in this wellness competition at work that has a pretty badass vacation as the top 3 prizes. We get points for all kinds of things, one of the big ones being meeting 2 goals that we set for ourselves in November. Enter running.

One of my goals is to run/jog a full mile without stopping/walking, and I'm way behind schedule. I have to meet my goal by the last Friday of this month. When I tried a 5 min run Monday, I really thought I was going to throw up. So I can't even run half a mile right now and I need to complete a full before the month is out. I think I need to reduce my pace. I don't feel like I'm running that fast (I bumped my usual 5.5 down to 5.2/5.1 for the 5 min run). I did do a 3 min 5.5mph run before the 5 min (C25K wk 4). Maybe I should slow down my warm up run too. I think I may try to run outside today. The weather is nice and perhaps that will help me set my pace more naturally.

SweetyKins
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Ncuneo, I too started in 2010 getting serious about running. I am happy to say that I trained for my first 5k from August to October and completed the 5k without walking. I am currently up to 3.5 miles at 5.2 - 5.2 miles per hour. My goal for 2011 running is for the first six months is to get up to 4.1 miles for the April Pat Tillman Run and possibly by year end do a 10k run. My ultimate goal is a 1/2 marathon but I'm working at it a little more gradiually.

Good luck to you all for 2011 !

ncuneo
12-31-2010, 03:53 PM
I will not ever run more than this because I would like to be able to walk when I'm 65 yrs old...without the help of a walker..lol!

I too worry about this, but I've read the running helps build bones and prevent ostoperosis. Athough there's no denying that many runners have a lot of issues as they age. Here's hoping I'm not one of them:)

joyfulloser
12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
I too worry about this, but I've read the running helps build bones and prevent ostoperosis. Athough there's no denying that many runners have a lot of issues as they age. Here's hoping I'm not one of them:)

Osteoarthritis (which causes cartilage loss), can be caused by overuse of joints. Frequent long distance running is known to cause the dreaded "stress fracture". Medically speaking, the "jury is out" on whether marathon/long distance running in itself causes the disease, however, it makes sense to me that the constant pounding, wear and tear of this thin sheet of cartilage in your knee over many years may potentially stand a good chance of wearing out. If I err...I'll do it on the safe side.

Anyways...my journey is about learning "moderation". I've always been an ALL or NOTHING person and I'm trying to change that. Besides, I'm too old (43) to become an olympic champion...LOL!. Being fit and looking fab is more than sufficient for me.;)

P.S. - I also know way too many family members and friends who are suffering with this cartilage issue...so I'm not taking any chances!

dissonance
12-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Hello there, hope its ok if i join up too.

I'm just now getting back to the gym, and I used to consider myself a runner...I miss that a lot. I've done a handful of halfs, and my last race was Thanksgiving 09 (10k. I started the rapid gain about a month later.) I ran a few times over the summer, when I made the first attempt to lose what i gained this year, but that fell by the wayside when I backslide.

Anyhow, I just started back at the gym yesterday. I am not able to run much, and for now I do 2 min walking and run/jog for 2 mins for about 30 mins and want to add in additional cardio. I would really like to be up to being able to make it 2 miles by the end of the month. Starting super small, but gotta start somewhere. It was really hard to swallow how hard it was, and how slow I am now (i used to, while i was not something special or that fast, but pretty decentish. that and running this heavy is just so much harder of course)

I'd like to enter something possibly come April. Seems plausible.

And ncuneo- wow congrats on such achievements!

Lauren201
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey everyone! I just started running... When I first started I could barely do 30 seconds.. now I'm up to a minute. I'm going to keep pushing myself and keep going! I want to be able to run a 5k this year.

matt_H
12-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for starting off the new running thread!

Awesome accomplishments ncuneo :)

For the month of January my plans are to increase my miles by about 10% or so a week. I'm starting the month by running a 4 mile race tomorrow in Salem, MA. The weather is going to be mild and temperatures might actually be close to 50, very nice running weather. I was afraid it would be super cold and snowy.

My long term goal for this year is actually to run a marathon. I know that seems outrageous and daunting considering the fact that the longest distance I'd run is only a 10k and a marathon is over 4 times that amount ;)

I'm thinking of the Chicago Marathon in October. Registration for that opens on April 1st. I have friends in the Chicago area. Another possibility for me for a fall marathon is the "Steamtown" marathon in PA. I also know someone from the area that I could stay with.

At this point I'm not sure I want to be a marathon runner as much as I want to just complete one.

EDIT: Welcome to the new posters on this thread!

julesp313
12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd like to join in too. I've been a recreational runner for a while but had to stop when I had pretty severe knee pain. Five weeks ago, I had a torn meniscus repaired through surgery and I'm currently rehabbing that with physical therapy, which is going well so far. Both my surgeon and my therapist say there is no reason I can't get back to running as long as I start slowly and build up gradually - sound advice for anyone starting, of course. My knee injury was most likely not caused by running but by my pelvis being misaligned (it tips forwards and up on the right side) which in turn pulled my leg out of alignment and caused my kneecap to rub on my cartilage. I'm now working on stretching and strengthening the supporting muscles and tendons in my legs to help alleviate the misalignment.

I also just got new running shoes. I've always worn stability shoes, having been told by a number of "specialty" running store employees that I over-pronate. The store I went to this week puts you on a treadmill and videos you running - they play it back at slow speed and you can see if you do indeed pronate. I don't - my stride is almost perfectly neutral, which was news to me! So I bought a pair of Brooks neutral shoes and the difference in my running gait is pretty amazing. I'm only running very short intervals right now (30 seconds) as I'm still rehabbing the knee but I can tell the difference already. I'm hoping to run a 5k in late February, then complete a couple more of them in the spring, a 10k in late spring, and a half marathon (if the knee holds up!) in late 2011.

CutieCourt
01-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I am also going to join this running thread! My goal is to run 30 miles this month!!! So excited. I start week 6 on the C25K this week, so that should help get my mileage up! I run my first 5k on March 12, 2011

Aclai4067
01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
So my outside attempt at c25k week 4 went a lot better (and A LOT slower). I can't wait for the days to get longer again. I run on the treadmill because it's dark after work and my neighborhood isn't so great. For now, I guess I just need to dial that speed way down.

darway
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Not running yet - currently I do some light jogging on my treadmill and walk 6 miles every few days. However several months ago I was walking 8 miles and running in bits and pieces of that... I think about 2 minutes then walk for 5.

Gonna try and reclaim that. At some point you just can't walk everything because it takes up too much time! :) Fortunately I have a long stride and can walk a mile in 15 minutes.

matt_H
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
WHOOHOOO! It looks like there are lots of great enthusiastic people joining the thread. Welcome :) Darway, jogging 2 and then walking 5 definately counts as running. Keep it up and soon you will be jogging 5 and walking 2 and then going longer and longer without needing to walk.

Today I finished the "Wicked Frosty Four" race in Salem, MA. My time was just about 45 minutes.

This week ends my most mileage ever. I've run 4 times this week for a total of 17 miles! Maybe next week I'll shoot for running 20 miles with a long run of 6 or 7.

twinmommaplusone
01-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Totally digging all the Newbies! Welcome!

1-1-11 @ 11:11 I adventured on an 11 mile run. about mile 3.5-5.5 I was in horrible running conditions at the lake with horrible wind/rain and ran a terrible slow pace with the head down, but after the pier's I was in the clear! It was my first ever New Years Day Run, as I my one year running anniversary approaches January 17th! I though back about how I couldnt even run for 2 minutes and today I easily ran for about 2 hours! 1:58 minutes for a pace of 10:48, It's my longest run since October and really wanted to start the new year off right! I start Hal Higdons Intermidiate 1 Marathon Training schedule on Monday! My first Marathon is in May! I have a ten mile race in early May and 2 1/2 Marathons planned. Hope to run my first sub 25 min 5k this year, these are my goals! We are totally capable of anything when we really set out to achieve! Good Luck Runners with all your goals!

sun
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I want to join too! I am running about 1.5 miles straight and then keep going walking running for another 1 or so. I want to keep increasing until I run the entire half and hour and do 5 minute warm up and cool down. Right now I am able to run for 15 minutes and then do the remaining time alternating.
Question for you seasoned runners....I was told to only run every other day but I sometimes am not able to do any other type of exercise and I end up running maybe 4 days in a row and then when my husband is home I can do yoga. So is it very bad. How are your running schedules?

ncuneo
01-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats on your race Matt!

Good luck on your training twinmomma! I'm so jealous of your confidence to run a full! Mentally I'm just not there yet. I'm hoping a couple more halves willl get me there. I think I might train beyond a max of 13 miles, maybe 15-20 just to get my confidence up.

I'm splitting up my long run this week so I got in 5 today. I had to run it with a jogging stroller today and the hill to my house almost killed me! It's about a 1 1/2 mile gradual incline. I hope I get used to it soon because there's no way to avoid it and it's making my runs slightly less enjoyable.

Sun, your running schedule needs to work for you, however, every other day is good advice. I'm running 4 days in a row this week because of some weather and schedule issues, but my schedule typically looks as follows. Run M, W, F, Su. Strength train T, Th. Leisure walk Sat. Just really listen to your body. I find my runs start to suffer when I run too many days in a row.

meoc7197
01-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Good morning everyone. I am day late to the party - thank goodness it a month long party :)
I am looking fwd to joining all of you on this running journey this month and throughout 2011. I tried to start running this summer with C2k and did it for about 3 weeks but gave up because of the heat and lack of personal motivation. In October I started to do SLIM in 6 dvds. After 4 weeks I became bored however I gained motivation to want to keep exercising. I jumped back into running with alternating run/walk. By the beginning of December I was able to 3 to 4 miles. I got sick and that really put a hamper in my training. I did my first 5K mid December right on the heels of being sick but it made me want to really run more.

I have set my goal at running 1/2 marathon. I am using Hal Hidgons novice plan. I am also thinking seriously about doing the NYC marathon. I am not sure though if I will physically and mentally be able to run for 26.2 miles hence why I am trying hard to get my first 1/2 marathon in early to see if I like longer runs. I log my training miles at daily mile which I like because it records my feelings about the runs. I think it will be interesting to be able to go back over time and read them all.

meoc7197
01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
I also wanted to ask you all what types of strength training and cross training do you do if any?

ncuneo
01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I strength train 2xs a week. Your usually stuff - free weights, squats, lunges, deadlifts, step ups. I did New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and I'm now looking for a program specific to running. I really want to spring for a trainer but just can't seem to find the funds.

6 miles today, almost hit my goal of 6 in an hour. I did it in 1:00:49. I would have crushed it if it wasn't for that darn hill! Damn you hill! I will conquer that dumb thing.

Callahan
01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Joining as well. Ran 4+ yesterday, 3 of it with a friend who pushes me to run just a little faster. I'm hoping to run with her once a week for a slightly faster workout.

My goals for this year are to run 1000 miles and run a mile in under 6 and a half minutes... or maybe 7. I did a one mile race in 7 and a half minutes a year ago, but I think I can drop that time dramatically. Or at least I hope so.

lili58
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
2011 will be the year of my first half... in 12 weeks! I have not run for three weeks but I will go full speed starting Tuesday (today Sund it is raining and tomorrow my kids have gymnastics).

My biggest running enemies have been and will be time and weather. I run in the afternoons, right after work, and if there is something extra besides Mon, like a meeting or something, then I cannot run that day. Mornings, forget it. I go to sleep around 1am everyday (due to work), there is no way I can run in the mornings. For rainy days, I would like to sign up for a gym but if I am going to use it only when it rains, doesn't make sense.

All and all, I want to look like the woman in the Jan cover of Runner's World by the end of this year LOL.

Krazy
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Hello everyone! I would also like to join this running thread. Iím actually no newbie to running. Throughout high school I ran cross country, track and indoor track. Iíve been running off and on for the last 6 months, but I would like to be more consistent with it. Some weeks Iíll run 30 miles and the next week I wonít run at all. Right now my goal is to run at least 20-25 miles a week. My ultimate goal is to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October, possible.

I ran 9.6 miles yesterday and 5 miles Tuesday, so that equals about 15 miles this week. I was going to run today, but it has been raining all day. The weather looks good tomorrow though. Highs in the 30s and clear, so Iím definitely going to start off my Monday morning with a 5 mile run. :)

sun
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
alright so I didn't run today..I jogged/powerwalked for an hour...went for 4 miles.
I know that is not alot but I remember right after I had my baby and I could barely walk 5 minutes before I was winded and tired and now I literally bounced to the very end..enjoying it all the way through. :) Hope everyone enjoyed their runs today.

julesp313
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I haven't run this year yet - that sounds so dramatic! Yesterday was cold and windy - when I say cold, I'm talking around 35F which for here is darn cold! But the wind really was biting and I hate running in the wind. Today I rode my horse for the first time in months - I've not been able to ride due the knee problem, but now that's resolving, I've been desperate to get back in the saddle, quite literally. Tomorrow I have physical therapy in the morning and then I plan on going out for a couple of miles to do my 30 second intervals at what will undoubtedly be a very slow pace - but I have to start somewhere!

meoc7197
01-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Today was my long run of the week in my training. I was nervous because I was tired and was not sure if I could run the whole way. I am happy to report I did in fact run the whole way. I covered up the screen and held out looking until I made it through 8 songs. I was exhausted at that point and had only gone 2.5 miles. I was not sure how I was going to make it through. I challenged myself to run through 2 more songs and see my distance at that point. I made it to 3.3 miles at that time and thought OK one more song. I made it another .4 miles and then I only had .3 left and knew I could make it with out walking. I was really happy that I ran the whole thing. I am nervous about transitioning to running outside.

ubergirl
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi everybody,

I want to join too! Just like Ncuneo, I started running last January with C25k. Since finishing it, I have pretty much stuck to 30 minutes of running, but recently, I've noticed that my endurance and speed have started to improve dramatically, and so I'm really interested in seriously trying to up my distance....

I'm looking forward to seeing what others do. Right now, I run 5x a week on a treadmill for 30 minutes each time, and lift every other day....

My goal for 2011 is to run at least one 5k.

CutieCourt
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Yesterday I jogged at the track. Completed 2.20 Miles. 27.8 miles to go for the month. I found a running club in my area and I kind of want to join it. They promote jogging and walking. I am doing the C25K and am set to complete W6.D1 Tomorrow :) Should go well.

cincimom11
01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey, guys! I've used 3FC on and off during my weight loss, and I'm back now that I've plateaued. I've been stuck in the 190s for five months now. I run 40+ miles/week, and I start training for my first marathon tomorrow.

Sun - I've never run four days in a row. I do three days on, one day off, two days on, one day off. Running four days in a row is probably fine so long as you don't push hard every day. How intense are your workouts? Focus on running slooooow every other day.

matt_H
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
So many new people are joining this thread, it is awesome!!

Welcome and congrats on running/ starting a running plan. I'm still a running newb and I'm very impressed with the mileage and time that several people are able to accomplish. Its very motivating to me to improve as I go.

I should have a more formal running plan, but I notice when I do that I get frustrated when live events interrupt plans and I have to shift things around. Basically, I'm just running on days that I can run and trying to work around other things. My goal for this week is to hit 20 miles and run at least 4 days. I have social events on Thursday and Saturday, so I need to schedule my runs around that (I could run Saturday morning, but that would cause me to have to change other plans).

Do you all follow a set schedule or just wing it?

I think I'm going to try for 6 miles tonight. :)

ncuneo
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm totally OCD so it's ALL about schedule for me. My life is so busy I could never just wing it. I'd always be stressed about fitting it in. That said I allow for interruptions and I always have a back up plan if I can't do a run when it's scheduled. My runs are usually in the morning before anyone gets up so I'm really not taking time away from anything else to get my runs in.

Today was a dreadful 3 on the treadmill. It was dreadful because this was my 4th day running in a row, not typical, and I was on a hotel treadmill because we're out of town and it was raining outside.

Great job everyone! The enthusiasm and dedication is addictive!

Aclai4067
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I pretty much run on a schedule because of c25k, but if I know ahead of time that something is coming up, I'll change it around a little. I run M/W/F, but like the week of Christmas, I knew I was driving to Atlanta straight from work on Wednesday and would not have time for my run. So I made that week a T/Th/Sa. I usually have to run on the treadmill right now because it is dark after work, but definitely plan to move outdoors when the light permits it.

I was kind of excited to run outside today since I'm off work but it's soooo cold right now (I like it cold when I run but under 30 is pretty tough to get yourself out there). So I may go later, or if I can't squeese it in before sunset, I'll just go to the Y tonight. I'll be repeating week 4 this week, since last week I didn't finish Monday and skipped Wednesday. Week 4 kind of scares me a little, because that's when I hurt my knee last year. But so far, everything feels fine.

Oh, and my cross training is spin class. I'm still pretty new to it, but I really enjoy it.

julesp313
01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
When I'm back on track, I aim for six workouts a week, three of them being running and the other three being cross training (love swimming, taking a class at the gym, and weight training). I try and schedule Sundays as my day off, but even then I ride my horse so it's not a true day of rest, unless both the horse and I are feeling particularly lazy. I haven't yet run a distance that needs solid training, such as a half, but I suspect as I work towards that goal, my schedule and plan will become more formal and I'll need to actually schedule my runs to make sure I get them in. Right now I just work out before work during the week and early on Saturday - I find if I leave the workout til after work, I have a thousand excuses for not doing it. Much harder to find a good excuse at 5am, other than "I really don't want to get out of bed"!

Krazy
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Usually I run in the morning, after I workout at the gym. Thereís a park right down the street, so itís really convenient to go right from the gym to running. Plus Iím already warmed up, so the cold outside air is actually refreshing. A perfect week for me would be getting up at 5am, going to the gym for an hour and then running my usual 3-6 mile route, plus one long run on the weekend. Unfortunately, I have many imperfect weeks, but I try.

I ran 5.3 miles this morning, and Iíll probably run 3 tomorrow.

cincimom11
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Matt - I follow a formal schedule when I'm training for a big race. I wasn't training for anything in December, so I just did my own thing.

My marathon training plan started today with a rest day. I'm doing eight miles tomorrow - a warm-up followed by mile repeats. Can't wait!!!

Keep up the great workouts, guys!

Niki4184
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd love to join here but I'm lucky to do a walk/jog for 2 miles. I guess I could set a goal of being able to run a mile without stopping then go from there!

julesp313
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Niki - you're further ahead than me! I say join this group - you'll learn a lot and as you get faster and run further, you'll already be in a good group. And your goal is a great one - it's one I have to get back to, as I used to do 4-5 miles and now I can do 30 seconds jog/30 seconds walk and that's for about 1.5 miles. I can't wait til I can go further and faster and actually run the whole time!

Niki4184
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok, well I did a jog on the tredmill. It took me 13:30 min to do one mile.....it's a start and I didn't walk! Now I'm just going to try to get a bit faster, like 13 min or 12 min and try to job 1 1/2 miles.

cincimom11
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
C'mon, you belong here! How do you think anyone who hasn't been running since middle school got started? The first few times I ran, it was at a 17:00 pace. You can already run a mile, AND you want to do more? Runner. You're doing awesome. Work on distance, and your speed will increase on its own.

matt_H
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Niki and Jules, welcome!! You both are runners and you belong here. :) . I remember that first day of the C25K program and how the 30 second jogs KICKED MY BUTT. It was pure ****.

You will surprise yourself at the progress you make if you are follow your schedule.

Tonight I did 6 miles. 5 of those miles was at 5.0 speed and the last mile was at 4.5. I'm going to take tomorrow off and then I'm going to try to change things up and run very early on Wednesday morning.

Aclai4067
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Much harder to find a good excuse at 5am, other than "I really don't want to get out of bed"!

haha. That's the best excuse in the world in my mind at 5am

Callahan
01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Ran something over 8 yesterday and a group 5K today. I have a GPS for running that keeps track of time/distance/pace, and I hook it up to my computer once a week to charge and transfer data. I do the group 5K with a friend who's a newbie runner, so it's at a very easy pace for me. I highly recommend group runs for all runners. We have a range of paces in the group I run with (psst, Matt, I live right outside Boston), and everyone is friendly and nice.

ubergirl
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm running about 5 x a week, but I run shorter distances on the days that I lift.... I really never run longer than half an hour. Should I start doing some days with longer runs? Is it really a no-no to run every day? I run most days, at least for 20 minutes...

Treadmill runners, do you set the treadmill for a certain distance and run until you get there, or do you pick a time and see how far you get?

Should I be running some days for 45 minutes or (gasp) and hour? My biggest struggle is getting bored. I blast music and watch TV at the same time, but running longer than 30 minutes on a treadmill sounds totally dreadful.

meoc7197
01-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Nikki great job. Of course you belong here. We all do. We are not here to compete with each other but to motivate and inspire each other.

Its freezing here and I am cold wimp so I don't think I will be running outside anytime soon! I did 3 miles on the treadmill which is part of Hal Hidgons training that I am doing.

Hope everyone has a great day!

matt_H
01-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Uber,

I'd say go by how you feel and I wouldn't think running for 30 minutes several days back to back would be too much of a problem. I'd definitely at least take 1 day and perhaps 2 days off a week though. If you aren't training for a race and don't want to run longer distances, running for 30 minutes is still great exercise!

I usually set the treadmill for a certain time and speed knowing how many miles it will set for me (if I'm going to run 4 miles I can set it for 48 minutes and run at 5.0 speed).

cincimom11
01-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Yep, running every single day is bad. Your body recovers when you rest. You should have at least one day each week where you take a total break from exercise, or you risk injury and sabotage your improvement. Learning to take a day off was realllly hard for me!

As far as running long goes, what are your goals with running? If you want to do any race, you should go long. To run your best 5k, a long run of five or six miles would be ideal. If you like using running to challenge yourself, going long is a fun way to do that.

If you get bored of the TV, try running outside. My first few times outside, I hated it, but now I won't run on a treadmill. Keep up the good work!!!

I had some major GI issues on my run this morning. I had to stop and find a bathroom. Uuuugggh!!

matt_H
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
For the beginning runners here (and anybody returning to running after taking some time off) here is some excellent advice:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--13787-1-1-2,00.html

mkroyer
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
welcome new runners!

i guess im officially running again :) no goals, however.
today ran 5 on the tread...... LA workout: 400 meters sprint, 800 meters LA Threshold (10Kpace~ 7:08) 400 meters goal marathon pace (8:13) recovery and repeat 2 more times

Oh! and i broke my right wrist rollerskating. :( apparantly rollar skating is NOT like riding a bke ;) typing is a challenge, as is eating, writing, scratching my butt, etc......

Happy new year

ps i ALSO became a statistic this holidday season...heloo 5 extra pounds i must now get off........ trust me there wasnt a cupcake in all of Denver i turned down this season!

julesp313
01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I swear I am going to start running again some time this month... I just keep getting sidetracked by doing other things that work my knee a bit too much. I rode my horse this morning for 45 minutes and while I had planned on doing a 30/30 jog/walk workout after that, I realized I'd worked my knee enough for one day, so I took a pass. Tomorrow I'm going swimming and that shouldn't put too much stress on the knee, so if that works out OK, I'll get my jog/walk in. I am SO ready to start running again but I'm also incredibly wary about pushing my knee recovery too hard and injuring it or having a setback - that would really tick me off. So I'm trying to find that balance between pushing hard enough to work the knee and get it back to 100% and not doing so much that I get myself in trouble. Fine line, I tell ya!

LindseyLou
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
May I join? I just started running as of 1-2-11. I haven't been running seriously since high school when I was a cross country runner (like 8 years ago!). I want to get back into the shape I was in then! My goal for 2011 is to run 365 miles. I know it's not a lot, but I think it's something I can do.

ubergirl
01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Matt! Thanks so much for your encouragement!! Tonight I set the treadmill to 45 minutes and voila, I ran 3.7 miles....and it was FINE. I had myself totally convinced that I could not run 5k, but obviously I can!

This, from the article you posted, is helpful

Thinking in terms of mileage may seem overwhelming. Instead, commit to a set number of minutes. Time goals allow you just to be out there, without the pressure of feeling like you have to cover a specific distance.

matt_H
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Awesome Uber!!!

Tonight I'm scheduled for a 3 mile run. In fact, the training plan that I'm trying to follow (with adjustments for life events) would have me running 3 miles a day for the next 3 days. Tomorrow I'll need to go to the gym at 6am to get my 3 mile run in before getting ready for work (as I have plans at night and I won't get home till late). The same morning routine will have to happen on Friday too.

In general, this week is going to be a challenge for me food wise and I'm tempted to increase my running to counter-balance some possible high calorie meals. Tomorrow night is a friend's B-day party dinner at an upscale restaurant and most of the options are not the best. We are supposed to meet up afterwards for "drinks and dessert" and I think I will not be doing that. Saturday night is dinner out with another group of friends at a diner type restaurent (we will be having "brinner", ie, "breakfast for dinner" :) ). I've looked at the menu already online and I'll try to choose something relatively healthy.

I hope to do a longer-ish type on Sunday.

Anyway, my next race is on Feb 6th and it is a 10K! My first ever 10K. I've run that distance already on the treadmill, so I know I can complete it. Anybody have any upcomming races they are excited about?

Aclai4067
01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I just signed up for a 5K at the Nashville Zoo on Jan 22. I won't be running the whole thing, but I plan to do some intervals.

Krazy
01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Ran 4 miles yesterday, but I didnít run today. I figure I will do my long run tomorrow since itís supposed to snow here Friday, and possible Saturday too. I would just run on the treadmill at the gym, but I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing. :dizzy:

Aclai4067
01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing. :dizzy:

I'm totally afraid of this too. I wear the little clip that stops the treadmill if you do fall. I never see anyone else use it, but I fugure, with my lack of coordination, it's a valid possibility. So far, I've never fallen off. But twice I've run too close to the front and had my stomach hit the stop button, sending me running smack into the screen(because I'm afraid of falling off the back)

LindseyLou
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I just signed up for a 5K at the Nashville Zoo on Jan 22. I won't be running the whole thing, but I plan to do some intervals.

Where did you sign up? I'm in Clarksville...I might be able to make that! :)

twinmommaplusone
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
*WAVES*
Gosh I wished I had more time to respond to everyone!

Welcome Newbies!

Day 3 of Marathon Training which meant 5 miles today!
Day 2 Cross train- Spin class/PIlates class
Day 1 3 miles.

Tomororw 3, Rest Friday, 5 Saturday and then 8 Sunday!

twinmommaplusone
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Ran 4 miles yesterday, but I didnít run today. I figure I will do my long run tomorrow since itís supposed to snow here Friday, and possible Saturday too. I would just run on the treadmill at the gym, but I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing. :dizzy:

If I was at your gym and you fell, I'd come over and see if you are ok! NO need to ever feel embaressed! People in a gym are not quick to judge, they are there to get healthy/thinner just like you!
You can always grab ahold of something or jump off if you felt light headed or dizzy etc.

matt_H
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Its funny that I feel like a slacker only doing 3 miles at the gym tonight. :)

My plan is to wake up very early and hit the gym at 6am for another 3 mile run. If all goes according to plan, I'll do the same thing on Friday morning which will make 3 run days in a row!

Aclai4067
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
So reducing my speed has been a revelation! When I did c25k last year, I absolutely LOVED it. I never had to make myself run, I looked forward to it every day. Then I hurt my knee and was devastated. This time around I haven't loved running. I've been wanting to love it like I did before, but it's just not there. I wasn't feeling amazing after my runs like before. I wasn't craving runs like before. And it's all because I was running too damn fast!!! Now that I'm running slower, my runs make me feel good again.

Where did you sign up? I'm in Clarksville...I might be able to make that! :)

http://www.nashvillezoo.org/events_detail.asp?eventID=90

It's a little pricier than other 5Ks I've done ($38), but I guess that covers the dinner. Proceeds go to the zoo. It looks fun and I'm doing it with some co-workers for a fitness competition that we're in.

vdander24
01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I ran/walked 1.8 miles today. My first 5k is on February 6th at the Rose Bowl. Had great plans, but got my tail kicked for the last part of December. I am behind and may need to do some walking, but I am definitely going to finish!

meoc7197
01-06-2011, 06:48 AM
welcome new runners!

i guess im officially running again :) no goals, however.
today ran 5 on the tread...... LA workout: 400 meters sprint, 800 meters LA Threshold (10Kpace~ 7:08) 400 meters goal marathon pace (8:13) recovery and repeat 2 more times

Oh! and i broke my right wrist rollerskating. :( apparantly rollar skating is NOT like riding a bke ;) typing is a challenge, as is eating, writing, scratching my butt, etc......

Happy new year

ps i ALSO became a statistic this holidday season...heloo 5 extra pounds i must now get off........ trust me there wasnt a cupcake in all of Denver i turned down this season!

Yikes hope your wrist heals quickly. Great run!

meoc7197
01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
May I join? I just started running as of 1-2-11. I haven't been running seriously since high school when I was a cross country runner (like 8 years ago!). I want to get back into the shape I was in then! My goal for 2011 is to run 365 miles. I know it's not a lot, but I think it's something I can do.

It's a great goal. Welcome.

Thighs Be Gone
01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey Ladies. It's been a while since I posted in this forum and I need some direction.

I have signed up to run a 10K in early March. I have really fallen off the wagon when it comes to running. I ran today for the first time in about a month. I ran 2.5 miles without any problem and might hit three miles without any problem.

My question is this. Is a 10K TOO ambitious for early March. Can I do it? If so, how. A little history on me--I have a strong two year running history and got up to 7 miles or so last Spring. Arrgh. Why did I stop!!!

SGeranium
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I signed up for a half mary in the end of March with several weeks of very spotty running (read next to none) . Monday morning I called my DH to let him know that shockingly March comes right after Feb this year and that meant I only have 11 weeks to train for this stupid thing. :dizzy: In all honesty though, my fitness has been strong and consistent for a couple of years now. i believe with a little extra dedication, I'll be back on track soon enough. It sounds like you will too. I might be eating my words and walking the back half of this thing, but I'm OK with that too. Go For it.

ncuneo
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
My goodness, I go away for a day or so and we're already on page 5! Fantastic everyone!

I did 3.5 yesterday and am 17.5 miles towards 1000 - yay!

I'll do 3.5-5 tomorrow and 8-10 Saturday (my long run day has been moved, more changes - joy).

Currently, I'm looking for a new strength training program. I'm finish with NROLFW and I need something new. I feel so lost at the gym right now and I just can't fathom spending money on a trainer at the moment.

I'm also debating on some goals for the begining of the year as I don't have a race scheduled until August, so I'm feeling a little aimless out there right now.

Glad to see everyone doing so great - welcome back MK - you've been missed.

Thighs Be Gone
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
I ran/walked 1.8 miles today. My first 5k is on February 6th at the Rose Bowl. Had great plans, but got my tail kicked for the last part of December. I am behind and may need to do some walking, but I am definitely going to finish!

You know, I think I am going to go this route. I am going to do my darndest to train for my 10K. I will do my personal best to finish the whole dadgum thing RUNNING. However, I am not going to cancel. To cancel would be a way of letting myself off easy and to give myself a "pass" card to stretch out my reconditioning. I am going to do it. So, I plan to train and shop accordingly for my first race. I will be there with all the other runners--OR WALKERS and regardless be proud.

cincimom11
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Thighs - I think you can run the 10k depending on your weekly mileage. How much can you commit to training each week?

I got my first blister since September during my 15-miler last week. It made it painful to walk, so I had to pop it. Every time I run, it comes back worse than it was before. Since I can't walk on it when it's full, I have to pop it again. Now it refills and pops itself during the day. According to the internet, it's infected. Calling the doctor in the morning after I run. :(

julesp313
01-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I shuffled a mile today. Seriously slow walk/jog but I got out there and more importantly, my knee post-surgery held up. I know I have to push myself to keep the knee healing and functioning but at the same time, I'm freaked out about doing that tiny bit too much and hurting it. Tomorrow I'm going to swim for cross training and then Saturday I'm going to try another mile with a bit more jogging and a bit less walking.

There's a local 5k I'd like to do on Feb. 19 and I think I'll sign up for it no matter what - at the very least, I can walk three miles if nothing else! Plus it'll achieve my goal of a 5k in 2011 (then I can work on my goals of doing a 10k and a half marathon).

ubergirl
01-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Skipped yesterday (daughter's bday) and today (kid with stomach flu) Am going to try 4 tomorrow.

vdander24
01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Thighs - AWESOME! I just know that my goal this year is to do 6 5k's and that has to start sometime! I agree. For me, If I postpone, or cancel this one, then I will only be that much farther behind! Way to go! I can't wait to hear how its going! Keep us posted!

CutieCourt
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to do a quick check in! So far I've done 10.78 miles since the first. I'm doing c25k and finished w6.d2 yesterday:) pretty exciting!!Hope all is well with everyone.

ncuneo
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Ugh...rough 3.5 this morning. It took alll my effort to run today. This happens every so often and I really hate them, so unenjoyable. I wasn't tired, but my body just felt so heavy. Not sure what the issue was. I was a little sore from the gym yesterday, but I don't know...oh well, I pushed through and I feel good that I did.

mkroyer
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Cincimom-- youveonly been running one year??
take this for what its worth, but i think you might be better off with more of a beginner marathon training program... less mileage, more gradual buildup... the intermediate programs assume this is not your first marathon, and hence start you out out 15+ miles or longer for long runs.... just 2 cents coming from a very educated and experienced runner :)
do you normally run 45-50 + mile weeks?? it seems you are jumping right in to one and a sure fire way to get an overuse injury...... also, *they* recommend a year of solid, cinsistent running BEFORE you start to TRAIN for marathon... im not trying to detere you.... i KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!! :) but i think you need to tak a slighty gentler approach.... am i overstepping my bounds here? The intermediate programs with speed with and mile repeats and tempo runs etc, are for runners with a time goal, your first marathon should really be just about finishing

Krazy
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Yesterday was my long run, I did 8.5 miles. There was a good two inches of snow on the ground this morning, so I ran 4 miles on the treadmill. It was nice. I havenít run on a treadmill in about a year. Although, I still prefer running outside, even if it is 15 degrees out. :)

I wonít be running until Monday, but I still met my goal of 20-25 miles per week.

cincimom11
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
mkroyer - Thanks! I've almost been running for eight months. I actually wrote my own training plan and had someone look over it. I've been doing 14-mile runs since August, and my base mileage has been at 40 miles/week for over a month. 15-mile long runs and 40 miles/week is a good place for me to start my marathon training, as it's not much of a step up from where I already am. I am a beginner, but I won't step down my mileage, and the build up is not much of a build up at all. :) I'm a fairly educated runner (thanks to tons of library books and an uncle who used to win ultras), too, but I appreciate your experience and concern. If my training starts to feel difficult, I'll step down things.

mkroyer
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
does your plan have built in step bakc weeks? and what paces are you running for your mile repeats, LA Threshold runs and tempo run

What does your weekely mileage peak at, an what week? How many 20+ runs are you doing? Ar eyou incorporating LA Threshold runs (these will make or break your marathon experience) :)

joyfulloser
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
who??? kickbacks? wut??? :p

Anyhoot...I just ran my all time longest distance...4.7 miles...Woot! My goal is to run 5 miles 4 times/week. Yeahhhh!!! Stoked!:)

cincimom11
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Yep, I have step back weeks. I get my training paces from McMillan's Running Calculator. I'll peak at 55 miles before my three-week taper. I'll have two or three 55-mile weeks. Do you think a 22-miler is too much for a first timer? That's the one thing I'm still debating. Thanks again for caring. :)

Great job, Joyful! Can you believe you're almost up to five miles already? It's awesome, isn't it?

Edited to Add: Yea, each week I do a tempo run, speed work (usually hills this training cycle because of the race I'm doing), and a long run. Here's my week:
M - off
T - hills (or mile repeats)
W - easy
H - tempo
F - off
S - race pace
U - long

joyfulloser
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Cincimom - Thanks. Did you say 55 MILE WEEKS????? (passes out...) Wow...that's unthinkable for me...I believe it is I who owes you a big CONGRATS!:congrat:

GO FOR IT!!!!:carrot:

Aclai4067
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
who??? kickbacks? wut??? :p

Haha. Yeah I felt the same way at first. I subscribed to Runner's World and have caught onto a lot of the lingo from that (if you care to know it). I really like Marc Parent, who writes their beginner column. You can read most articles online for free. I just subscribe because I like to have it handy in my purse for downtime (and it was only like $12/year).

Thighs Be Gone
01-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Thighs - AWESOME! I just know that my goal this year is to do 6 5k's and that has to start sometime! I agree. For me, If I postpone, or cancel this one, then I will only be that much farther behind! Way to go! I can't wait to hear how its going! Keep us posted!

Wow..6 5k's will be incredible. Will it be every other month? If so, that's an awesome way to stay fit all year...had never thought of it like that before.

Thank you so much for all the props. I ran again today--2.5 miles and then, rode my mountain bike 5 miles. My neighborhood has hills so I am actually sore tonight going even as far as I did. I am running again in the morning too.

Cold weather is going to be coming in but I absolutely 100% will train right on through this cold spell. It is just cold. I can deal!!!

Thighs Be Gone
01-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Thighs - I think you can run the 10k depending on your weekly mileage. How much can you commit to training each week?

I got my first blister since September during my 15-miler last week. It made it painful to walk, so I had to pop it. Every time I run, it comes back worse than it was before. Since I can't walk on it when it's full, I have to pop it again. Now it refills and pops itself during the day. According to the internet, it's infected. Calling the doctor in the morning after I run. :(

Hey..have you ever used a product called Mole skin atop blisters. It really helps me. Basically it a 2nd adhesive skin you apply directly to wounded area. You may want to try it.

Thanks for the props on the plan. I can commit to several hours of training weekly. At the moment, I am doing 1 hour a day total--combined running, cycling and floor exercises...could easily step that up to 2 a days if need be....which is probably LIKELY at this point.

Aclai4067
01-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Ran my first full mile straight today, and I didn't even colapse at the end! :lol: I was really nervous that I wouldn't make it because I had a bad run yesterday that gave me some serious doubts. But it went really well and I felt good at the end!

ETA- I would just like to note that 9 days ago I had serious doubts that I'd be able to run a mile before the end of the month.

vdander24
01-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Thighs - Yes. It is one every other month. I figure that will give me time to get ready between. It also spreads them out throughout the year. I did 1.5 on Thursday, but feeling sick so nothing yesterday. I am determined To get a good workout in today!

ncuneo
01-08-2011, 05:12 PM
A sad attempt at a long run today - 7 miles. I usually shoot for 8-10, but man I just wasn't feelin it today. That put me at 17 miles this week which is a little lower than I like, I prefer 20-25, but I kinda felt like I needed a little break. I guess it's better to have a slacker week then burn out and quit altogether. So I'm trying not to be too hard on myself about it.

julesp313
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I skipped a workout today - my knee was sore and I'm not going to push it when it hurts (heaven help me if I have to have a second surgery because I didn't rehab the first time properly). Tomorrow I plan on doing a walk/jog outside for a half hour, as the weather is supposed to be near-perfect for running (mid 50's, no wind) - and I need to get outside one more time before my job gets really crazy and I'll be lucky to get out once a week (my workouts will all be in the gym or pool).

Edited to add - I renewed my Runner's World subscription and the February issue has an interesting article on the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" and why they make them run when they're so heavy...

AR4life
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I did my 4km run today but was careful, black ice everywhere. I sure don't want to be hobbling around with a popped knee.

I'd use the treadmill but my 2 dogs need to run too. :)

My son/wife bought me a nike running counter to keep track of my distance and timing. It makes me want to run further.

Thighs Be Gone
01-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Ran 2 miles today without stopping..my 9 year old went along with me on the bike..cold weather is coming tonight..VERY cold but I am determined to run again tomorrow...my run felt really good today..I remember now why I fell in love with it

Thighs Be Gone
01-09-2011, 12:08 AM
jules..tell us about what the article said

Thighs Be Gone
01-09-2011, 12:10 AM
ncuneo..way to go..you obviously know what works for you and THAT is what counts and will work in the long run..there are days I don't feel into the run either...for myself, sometimes I can think to what I ate the day before that made me feel sluggish (red meats and too many processed items in my case)...sometimes I can't trace it to anything...

julesp313
01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Thighs - the article is online if you want to read the whole thing - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-243-297--13816-0,00.html.

Basically the contestants run - mostly interval training - as it's considered by the trainers/health advisors to burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time. Plus, the confidence boost the contestants get from becoming runners seems pretty impressive.

cincimom11
01-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Looks like everyone is doing great!!!

Question for all you runners: How much cross training do you do? My gym closed a few months ago, and I just kind of stopped all strength training. I'm trying to get back into that and into doing my yoga DVD, but it's tough! I know cross training is so beneficial, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. What do you guys do to cross train? I strength-trained twice and did yoga once this past week.

Also, weekly mileage PR: 43 miles!

joyfulloser
01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Weekly mileage: 15-17

Cross-train: 2 days/week (weights, wii dance 2 - wut? it's a workout:p, and pull ups..up to 2 sets of 3 two difference ways):D

*EDIT* - Sometimes I slack too - and I have NO Excuse as I have full gym at home:p

azaleagirl
01-10-2011, 07:36 AM
hi everyone...can't believe it took me this long to hop on January thread...lol...starting week 7 today...its going to be a challenge, but hopefully I can do it in a week...if not I will until I can do the 3x12 minute runs. By the way, I am 57 and I just started running, for health, my inspiration is a 8something year old man here in New Orleans who runs marathons and he started running in his 60's....yeah!!!!

Aclai4067
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
cincimom- I'm not the best about getting in my cross training but I do usually at least go to spin class once a week.

This week is the dreaded week 5 for me in c25k. I think this week is intimidating to everyone on the program because it seems so fast to go from 5 min intervals to a 20 min run in one week! But I think my mile run last Saturday did a lot to mentally prepare me for this week. I didn't time my mile, but I'm sure it took about 12 min (maybe longer) and I felt like I could have kept going for a little bit. I need to remind myself of that when I have that 20 min running looming over me Friday. Anyhow, it's very exciting for me to reach week 5 because I injured myself on week 4 last year and did not get to complete the program.

mkroyer
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
cinci- spinning, rowing and swimming are the best crosstraining compliments to running.... you dont want to do the elliptical or stair master because it just causes the same *kind* of stress on the lower body......
ive actually been running on the treadmill lately! Blah.... BUT i just ran my longest ever TREADMILL distance ~ 9 miles posted a decent time too
8 miles at 64 minutes

just cuz i got a new ipod nano with all sorts of new music on it, plus a radio (my old shuffle didnt have that) so i was able to keep myself amused on the treadmill for that long...... did the first half as a tempo run, building up to 10 K pace ~ approx 7:18 and then the second half i did a LA ru, where i worked DOWN from top speed, maininting threashold pace (10K) then stepping down to goal marathon pace (8:20) then repeated..... the time flew

also got in a couple 5 -6 milers on the tread at other times

anyway, theres no way i can run outside here for a while, but they are talking about it being in the 50s by this weekend......so im keeping my fiingers crosse

oh, and nothing like the fear of death in the morning to wake ya up! White-knuckled driving for an hour and a half the entire way in to work..... i never got above 20 mph

joyfulloser
01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
cincimom- I'm not the best about getting in my cross training but I do usually at least go to spin class once a week.

This week is the dreaded week 5 for me in c25k. I think this week is intimidating to everyone on the program because it seems so fast to go from 5 min intervals to a 20 min run in one week! But I think my mile run last Saturday did a lot to mentally prepare me for this week. I didn't time my mile, but I'm sure it took about 12 min (maybe longer) and I felt like I could have kept going for a little bit. I need to remind myself of that when I have that 20 min running looming over me Friday. Anyhow, it's very exciting for me to reach week 5 because I injured myself on week 4 last year and did not get to complete the program.

If I recall correctly my first mile ran without stopping took me about 15 mins. I ran really really slow...haha I didn't care...I was running and I didn't care how many little old ladies and walkers passed me up!:cool:

A HUGE :congrat: on running your 1st MILE! I remember what a feeling that was (actually...it wasn't that long ago...haha;)) I know you'll make 20 mins. It'll be a challenge, but never stop believing YOU CAN DO THIS...and BRING IT!:hug:

BTW, I started running end of September, and my longest run to date has been 4.7 miles!:carrot: I'm going for 5 today...Woot!

Cheshirecat
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey-I'm new to the forum, but jumping right in.

I love running. I've been running for about 2-2.5 years. Started with C25k, did a bunch of 5ks, some 8ks, 15ks, a few half marathons and one marathon. I was helping a bunch of co-workers this year run their 1st 5k and now we are about to run out 6th one together.

I'm also training for a half in April and the husband is joining me! Yay.
I did about 10 miles last week.

For crosstraining--I know I don't do as much as I should. I used to swim. I have a bike for warmer weather. I do a light whole body strength routine T, TH--with lots of stretching afterward. I should do my yoga DVD more often too.

As for which moves, I use barbells and push ups for arms/chest. I have a medicine ball to help with some core and I usually go for plank moves. I usually do some lunges, squats but really try to hit smaller muscle groups running doesn't. Especially my hamstrings,hip flexors.

Krazy
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Long run/jog today, did 10 miles. Tuesdays normally arenít my long run days, but weíre supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow here. I probably wonít be able to run outside until Friday or Saturday. Thursday Iíll run 3-4 miles on the treadmill...arg, and then 6-8 miles over the weekend.

Iím not sure if this is cross-training but I take Zumba, Yoga, Spinning and Step classes throughout the week, and usually Boot Camp on the weekends. I should take the strength training class my gym offers, but I havenít yet.

ncuneo
01-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Finally came out the other side of my fatigue! Awesome 4 miles this morning. 35 miles to 1000 :) Small scare this weekend, I thought I may have had my first injury. I had what felt like tendenitis in my foot, but after a few days it has gone away. Not sure what it was, but I'm being careful so as not to reagrevate it and make sure it's not really tendenitis. Hope everyone is doing well!

julesp313
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Blah - insane working hours mean it's challenging to get my butt out of bed at 5:10am to go to the gym. But - I am pleased to say today makes day 3 that I have done it (only got cleared to work out last Thursday so I started fresh this week). Did treadmill (yawn) intervals yesterday - 60/60 jog/walk. I felt like I could do longer on the jog intervals but I didn't want to risk doing too much too soon and ending up hurting. I am sore today but that good post-workout sore. Did my PT exercises today and will run again tomorrow - my poor legs are getting more of a workout than they've ever had before!

Aclai4067
01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Hope everyone is getting in some god runs this week! I know snow is thwarting some of your plans. Luckly we didn't get quite as much snow here. And it's been cold enough that the snow we did get didn't do the whole thaw and re-freeze deal. So the roads are okay and the gym is open. Sidewalks are still a little rough, so I'm indoors this week. Did my two 8 min intervals for C25K W5D2 today. Friday is my 20 min run. I think it will be hard on the treadmill. I tend to think about my running too much on the treadmill, especially how much time i have left. It's so much easier to zone out when I run outdoors.

krampus
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
First run since the foot incident tonight!!!! After a month and a half I was pleased that I didn't lose that much endurance. I really like running in the cold, but I can feel my stomach fat flop around and it's horrible and distracting. I need some more Spanx-like running leggings. Foot is all better. Due to time constraints I only did 35 minutes of steady jog/a bit of hard running. I will go again tomorrow provided the weather cooperates.

joyfulloser
01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey fellow runners!!!:D

I'm on some kinda natural high here...ran 5.4 Miles today...which is over my goal of being able to run 5 miles. I'm completely stoked!:carrot:

On to next goal...to sustain 5 miles/day 4 times a week for at least 2-3 weeks....after that, the dreaded...INCLINES!:o

julesp313
01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I do NOT like being confined to a treadmill, though it does make doing intervals super easy. I just get so bored - outside, I find my rhythm pretty quickly and seem to get into a mentally relaxed zone that I just can't find in the gym. I did two miles of intervals this morning and while it went well, my knee is definitely a bit swollen this evening. I don't know if it's the running or sitting around so much during the workday. Either way, I popped an Aleve and slapped an ice pack on it to see if that helps - it usually does.

I can't wait til it's light before 6am and I can get outside and run again - I really miss it in the winter.

twinmommaplusone
01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
*waves* I'm a alive, going to make a point to come catch up with everyone sometime soon! Usually I get on and log my weight and thats it, life is busy!

Anyways, Doing my training, had 5 miles in brutally 12' degree winter here and it was horrid. Today is a treadmill 3.

Happy Running folks!

Aclai4067
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I had a really hard time getting myself into the gym tonight. I've been in a bad mood today and was tired after work. I knew I'd feel better after my run, but it's hard to convince yourself of that when you're not feeling into it. The first half of my run was a little rough because I was still feeling a bit negative. But I got my 20 min run done! And of course, felt better after

Cheshirecat
01-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Great job getting your run in Ashley!! It is so hard to push yourself when your day is like that! But you were awesome.

The husband and I ran 4 miles last night and I felt so strong! I loved it. I haven't ran that long since Thanksgiving so it's nice to start running longer distances.

krampus
01-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Today was almost a bust. It was the day before my period and I was CRANKY CRANKY CRANKY. I went on a terribly fruitless shopping trip and it was also the coldest day we've had so far this winter, with biting wind and ice on the ground.

On the train ride back from the city I decided to run, so I put on three pairs of socks, two pairs of tights, three shirts, and three layers of headgear (headband, hat, hood) and off I went. I managed about 45 minutes before my legs started to protest. I'm really not sure how fast I was going - not too fast - maybe I went 4 miles or thereabouts. It felt so great to run and my mood has been very level and good since, and I wore the perfect amount/combo of layers to stay warm without getting too hot or feeling like a marshmallow.

meoc7197
01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Well we got socked with snow here. I fell on the ice wed when heading out to a conference. Banged up my hip and elbow up pretty good. The upper thigh by my right hip is a mess with bruises. I ended up taking wed and Thur off. I did an easy 2 mile treadmill run at hotel Friday that actually seemed to help the leg. On Saturday I did 2 miles and the the last mile I alternated between 4 & 6 on the treadmill. I think I was exhausted from the late nights/eay morning partying at the conference.
Today I ran 5 miles. This is the furthest I have ever run. I was so scared that I wouldn't even come close to it. Yesterday made me feel inferior. Silly but true. I loaded lots of bad 80s music on my iPod and got through it.

They are predicting 2 more snow storms this week. I am beginning to wonder if I will actuAlly be able to run outside when all this snow is gone. I am concerned the only reason I am able to keep going is because the belt on the treadmill propels me onward!

Also even though I haven't had a chance to respond to your posts you all serve as great motivators to me thanks.

Aclai4067
01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
My calf muscles are SO sore from Friday's run. Worse today than they were Saturday. I don't really understand why Friday made me so sore when my mile run last week didn't. Both times it was a 1/2 mile increase from what I had done previously. Maybe I pushed myself faster this time because I was on the treadmill instead of outside? Or maybe my warm-up wasn't sufficient, as I said, I was really tired that day. Anyhow, I hope it feels better tomorrow so I can start week 6.

Krazy
01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Ran 10 miles Tuesday, 4 Thursday and 8 today, a total of 22 miles this week. Todayís run was terrible though, cold and windy. I donít mind the cold so much, but the wind just kills me. There was also about 4 inches of the snow on the ground, so it took me almost 2 hours to complete my run. I hope some of the snow is melted by Tuesday.

Aclai4067, Congrats on week 6! I donít think Iíve ran consecutively for more than two weeks in a long time.

darway
01-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Still not running - but have pushed my walking time up to two hours. I plan to increase this from 2, to 3 or 4 times a week, then begin sprinking in bits of running within the walks.

julesp313
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I ran outside today for the first time in over four months - it felt really good. It was chilly (about 45 degrees at 6:30am) but compared to what some of you are dealing with, it was delightful! I walk/jogged for 40 minutes, including hills (there is no out and back run from my house that is totally flat!), then came home and iced my knee just to be cautious. My calves are a bit tight right now but my knee feels great - possibly I'm over-compensating for my knee by pushing my other muscles a tad too far.

The plan this week is to do intervals on the treadmill Tues/Thur and intervals outside Sat/Sun - and keep stretching every day, which is really helping.

By the way - the only way to watch awards shows is on DVR - if you fast forward through all the speeches and categories you don't care about, a three hour show takes 45 minutes.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
*waves* I'm a alive, going to make a point to come catch up with everyone sometime soon! Usually I get on and log my weight and thats it, life is busy!

Anyways, Doing my training, had 5 miles in brutally 12' degree winter here and it was horrid. Today is a treadmill 3.

Happy Running folks!

Twinmomma, you just inspired me to go put my tights on and be brave and go run outside.... I can't tolerate the thought of another 5 miles on the treadmill. It's about 30F here today. I can do this, knowing others out there are dealing with it too.

Thank you!! :)

julesp313
01-17-2011, 04:31 PM
My shins are sore today which I think is in response to running outside and on hills yesterday. It's not shin splints, just muscle tenderness, thankfully. I really miss running outside - it's not the cold like many of you are suffering with (it's about 40-45 degrees here first thing in the morning) but it's dark at 5:30am which is when I would need to get out, and I just don't feel safe enough to run in the pitch dark. My husband said carry pepper spray, but that's got limited abilities. Our neighborhood is all residential and I think it's very safe, but common sense tells me not to run in the dark! Can't wait til it's light mornings again.

Question for those of you who run longer distances - at what point do you need to take in fuel? I far prefer running on an empty stomach, which is fine for 5k's but I hope to do a half marathon in December and I'm fairly sure I'll need to get some calories in during the race. At what point (time or distance) do you think fuel becomes necessary? Any suggestions - Gu or shot bloks seem to be the easiest choices to carry and eat on the run. And presumably whatever option I choose, make sure I train with it before race day! Any other suggestions or advice?

ncuneo
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
for those of you who run longer distances - at what point do you need to take in fuel

I don't. Although I'll say my longest run has only been a half marathon, I think if I did more I may reconsider. I almost always run on an empty stomach or at most one packet of GU before my run usually only because I run at 5:00 am and need a kick in the but. I too live in a residential area and I do carry pepper spray. I've been running early mornings for probably about 9 months and haven't had any issues. You just have to be smart. I don't have any recommendations on fuel during other than just pick some up and try them out. Everyone responds differently not everyone needs them. Good luck!

Got a good 10 miles in pre period Saturday and then she showed up last night and kicked my but. My 3 miler this morning was rough because of it, but I didn't use it as an excuse. I'm feeling so so bloated today and I just want to crawl in a hole and die, but such is life :) Happy running everyone!

Aclai4067
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Well, despite still feeling a bit sore from Friday, I still got in my run yesterday. I kept it slow and don't feel any worse from it! Tomorrow I'm donating blood and I don't think it's a good idea to run after. So that means I have to get up EARLY! ugh.

krampus
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Yesterday was a total fail run. There were plenty of factors contributing to it, namely hunger, TOM, and the wrong socks. I got what feels like a muscle knot in my calf that is still there the morning after and couldn't maintain a pace or groove for more than a couple minutes at a time. What causes these bad ones, I wonder? Have you experienced the same?

Cheshirecat
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
3 miles last night and feeling good!

Question for those of you who run longer distances - at what point do you need to take in fuel?

I've always heard the general rule was if you run over 90 minutes you can start thinking about 'fuel'.

I trained with GU/Hammer Gel for my marathon. I started to take gels when I reached the 9/10 mile long runs. I did use it for two half marathons. I took one around the 8 mile mark and it worked fine for me. I have also done a half without any gels.

If you want to try them, I would wait until you reach long runs of about 8 miles. Then just try them out and see how your body likes them.
There are so many flavors out there to try. Some have caffeine, some don't. I tried the blocs once and they were a nice change from the gels. Like fruit snacks--tastier then the gels in my opinion.

I don't think the gels are really necessary for a half, but if you train with them and like them--then it works. But I also eat before running. I usually have oatmeal or a banana or something. I don't like running on an empty stomach.

Another thing to think about is mixing water with sport drinks for long miles, that way you can replenish your electrolytes.

julesp313
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Ncuneo - thanks for the input. The furthest I've run is five miles so I have no experience with longer distances. I figure if I do need anything, it will be something small as I'm so used to running (literally) on empty. I'm going to hit the gun store this weekend and get advice about a pepper spray - although it's mostly for mental security, I've seen loose dogs around our neighborhood a few times and I want to see what the gun guys think about having pepper spray for that purpose as well as a human deterrent.

Cheshirecat - it sounds like experimenting is the way to go. It'll be a few months before I'm up to the longer runs, but then it'll be hotter than **** here and running at 5am means no food sounds good. I'll check out the shot blocs and Gu, though something that tastes like a fruit chew sounds much better than Gu... :) I don't like Gatorade at all, but I know there are other sports drinks out there - again, I'll just have to experiment and see what tastes bearable!

As for me - I did 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning, 30 of which were 1/1 intervals. I'm running a super speedy 5mph, but just the joy of actually making a running motion is enough to make me happy! I have a tentative 5k on Feb. 19th and if I'm not ready by then, another one on March 19th. I think I may do the February one even if i have to walk two of the three miles - it's all about getting back on track.

krampus
01-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Epic run tonight, was out for an hour and eight minutes. Maybe 4-5 of those minutes were walking but I mostly just ran and ran and ran. It felt so good, especially since this week has been such carb-hoovering ****. I spent my entire day at work loading up on Vietnamese coffee (somewhere between regular and espresso in strength), maybe that's where all my energy came from!

Still no means of measuring distance but I'd guess I went about 5-5.5 miles.

ange82much
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Good trudge round for 90 min along the trails for me this morning.

Good fun, and good to be back into it again after a couple of lazy months.

Three lots of kangaroos along the way. Cute.

And no gels etc required - especially after the pizza i ate last night.!!! I do normally use them for runs over 2hr though (approx one every half hour starting after about 100mins works for me. Can't do more than 2 though, or 3 at a push, otherwise i feel spewy - have to start lugging around bananas and stuff instead if it's such a long effort).

ncuneo
01-21-2011, 07:19 PM
krampus you can download google earth for free and measure distance using the path tool.

I did 3, 4, 5 this week and am aiming for 8-10 tomorrow morning. Not much going on with me right now...feeling a little bleh...tired mostly. I think I'm bored...life's been eventful lately but quite this week - I miss the drama :) Anyway, have a great weekend everyone!

Aclai4067
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Three lots of kangaroos along the way. Cute.

How far outside of Sydney were you? I never saw kangaroos in metro-Brisbane. I think we had enough turkeys to cure world hunger though!

julesp313
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I had a good run yesterday. On the dreadmill, sadly, but nevertheless good. I did 2.5 miles, two of which were 1/1 intervals at 5.3mph (yay, I'm getting faster) with the last two intervals at 6mph, which I'm really NOT qualified to run just yet - that left me breathing a lot heavier than I like! But my knee felt great, no swelling this time, I stretched a ton after I ran and I think that was a big help. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get outside and do three miles, with a mile of walking (warm up, cool down) and two miles of intervals. I just need to be outside as I spend all day indoors and these days are long...

I put together a race calendar for the year, with 5k, 10k and half marathon dates - I get a break from June through September (no races scheduled locally due to the heat) but I may try to find a race in So Cal or somewhere. I'd love to run a race per month, but that may be overly ambitious! I'll do a 5k in February and March and see how things go.

Aclai4067
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I finished W6D3 today (25min jog). I had been dreading it all week. I was so sore last weekend from the 20 min run. Plus I've been kind of sluggish all week. I dropped my WW points a good bit this week because I'm getting to the end of a 3 month wellness competition with a trip for the top 3 prizes. (I had two goals: run a mile and lose 15 lbs) Next Friday is the deadline and I still have a few more pounds to lose. So I've been feeling that calorie/carb reduction in my workouts all week. Just repeating last Friday's 20 min run sounded like ****; I wasn't sure I could tack on another 5 min. But I ate closer to my normal points today. I don't think I would have finished the run if I'd eaten less.

ETA- oh and tomorrow is the Nashville Zoo 5K. I'm planning to walk the first 2 miles with my co-workers and then run the last 1.1

ange82much
01-22-2011, 05:23 PM
How far outside of Sydney were you? I never saw kangaroos in metro-Brisbane.

Hi Ashley - i'm about 15km from city centre - so the 'burbs'. But there's plenty of pockets of national park round here and plenty of roos along the trails early in a morning. You're right though, you don't see them much in residential areas.

AR4life
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
I thought I'd up my run a bit today and did 7.2km instead of my usual 4.2km. I felt fine but one of my dogs didn't like the last km........lol

It was a beautiful, warmish morning, lovely running day. I did have to jump over a few puddles when I went through a field.

I hope everyone is enjoying their running :D

ange82much
01-23-2011, 03:21 AM
I felt fine but one of my dogs didn't like the last km........lol:D

Hard work dragging a reluctant dog around. Tried that!!!

meoc7197
01-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Not a great week for me. I was extremely busy with work and came down with an awful cold/mild flu. I barely had the energy to go to work yet alone exercise. Yesterday I went to the gym and did 4 miles. The first .75 went great and I was excited but I hit a wall at .75 so I started to walk and run every 2.5 minutes. I got up to 2.5 miles and ran for a mile and half no problem. It was weird that I hit that wall. Glad I was able to run it out at the end. I am planning to get over to the gym today and get a run in too between 4 and 5 miles.

meoc7197
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Just a quick update I made it all 5 miles running at 5.5 on the treadmill. I am so happy that I was able to do it.

Aunt Sheshie
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Since I'm now "officially" a runner (just finished W1D1 of C25K), I thought I'd pop in & introduce myself... I'm a 61 year old gal who spent too many years not listening to my body & paid the price by getting too big & out of shape... I've been working on that for the past year or so with diet, kettlebell workouts, & my trusty old NordicTrack ski machine... that routine served me well, I've gone from a size 16W to a size 10 & am pretty satisfied with most of my progress... still need to get rid of my jelly belly, though, so I decided a few days ago I needed something to get me out of a rut & looked into running... WOW, am I glad I did & I'm glad I checked out the Exercise! forum on 3FC... hoping to get to know all of you better...

hugs :hug:

julesp313
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Another dreadmill run/walk. I mean, as much as I detest gym cardio machines, actually running on it instead of just walking does seem to make the time pass faster. I was contemplating increasing my speed this week but instead I increased my running intervals - after all, no point being speedy in a 5k if I can't actually FINISH said 5k. I did 90/60 second intervals at 5.0/3.0mph. The knee held up until the last interval, which I did at 6mph, when I got a very slight twinge and realized that was enough for today. Then I did 10 minutes on the rower, which I'm growing to like...

I am set for a 5k on February 19 - the goal is to stick to intervals for the entire race, and I'll figure out the length of those intervals the week before the race - all depends on how things are going! I would love to say I'll run the whole thing but that's not realistic considering I haven't run a 5k in seven months and I still have a knee that's being rehabbed and is definitely weaker and not 100% yet. But I want my first race shirt of the year so I'm doing it! :)

ubergirl
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Great weekend. I ran 4 miles on the treadmill at 5.0 then bumped to 5.5 at the end. Then yesterday, I got inspired to run outside even though it was 24 degrees outside and it was awesome! Something just really kicked in with my fitness lately and I feel like I can go and go.

Aclai4067
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
S**t run today. I'm really struggling mentally with the longer runs. I'm on week 7 of C25K now (25 min runs). I know I can do it because I ran 25 min last Friday. But I still have this attitude that it's too much. I really wanted to skip the gym tonight. I pretty much had my mind made up to fail before I even got in there. So, sure enough, 5 min into my run I gave up. Put in some time on the elliptical just to have done something.

Anyone else really struggle with getting their head into the longer runs on C25K? Tips?

ncuneo
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Completely missed my run today due to my 2 yr olds rough night. I decided with the lack of sleep it would be best to take a day off. I can't remember the last time I didn't do any activity! It was nice. I don't plan on skipping completely though, I'll make up tomorrow in the am and the hit the gym in the pm and finish the week off per usual. I'm going to push for 25 miles this week, I've been coming in around 20-22 lately and I would like to push myself a little bit...and I secretly want to get my maintenace range down to 130-135, but I haven't really commited:)

Have a great week everyone!

krampus
01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Haven't run since Thursday, so I'm heading out tonight. I wanted to go last night but it was snowing. Hopefully I'll be able to go a fair distance; I'm really nervous considering I smoked half a pack of cigarettes on Saturday night. Not my greatest moment.

krampus
01-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Update: Ran about 5 miles/8 km almost effortlessly! No walking breaks. I just listened to a favorite album on my iPod and off I went. Feeling great and not sure if I should sign up for the 5k or 10k category in an April road race/fun run. I can't run a 10k but a 5k wouldn't be much of a challenge. This is Japan so there probably won't be many slow runners/walkers.

Krazy
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Last week I had a good running week. 28 miles total. Iím hoping to run 25-30 miles this week. I ran 5 miles yesterday and 3 today. Planning on doing 4 Wednesday, 6 Friday and 11 Sunday.

julesp313
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Ashley - I've seen others mention this "fear" of the longer runs, and many times it seems doing one of the prior weeks a second - or third - time can help overcome that. By "re" doing one of the weeks you know was successful, sometimes that puts your mental state where your physical state needs it to be!

Krampus - if you can run 5 miles pretty easily - which it sounds like you can - you can do a 10k. That extra 1.2 miles will be easier in a group with your race-induced adrenaline going! I say go for the 10k - I bet you'll do great.

As for me - I strength trained this morning, and I'm really noticing a difference when I run - my knees and hips are far less sore, and my physical therapist said that's the goal of strength training the legs. So many runners don't work the legs as they figure running is enough - me included, pre-surgery - so now I'm becoming a convert!

I was going to run my treadmill intervals tomorrow but I somehow got suckered into signing up for the 5:30am spinning class. I've been wanting to try it for ever and the trainer at the gym said "why don't you" so I said sure... then freaked out. I did go into the spinning room and set up a bike so I could figure out the settings - I guess there's the seat height, the handlebar height, and the seat fore and aft (it slides horizontally). So I got it comfortable, tried standing up and pedaling and realized doing five minutes of that nearly finished me off - heaven knows what an hour will do to me! I'm hoping the instructor will understand that it's my first time (I'll tell him before class, of course!) and will let me just pedal slowly if I need a break. I hope I enjoy this - it looks like fun and a challenging workout and I need to introduce something new. Plus it's good cross training for running.

twinmommaplusone
01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
S**t run today. I'm really struggling mentally with the longer runs. I'm on week 7 of C25K now (25 min runs). I know I can do it because I ran 25 min last Friday. But I still have this attitude that it's too much. I really wanted to skip the gym tonight. I pretty much had my mind made up to fail before I even got in there. So, sure enough, 5 min into my run I gave up. Put in some time on the elliptical just to have done something.

Anyone else really struggle with getting their head into the longer runs on C25K? Tips?

You are at the point where you are totally feeling the sluggish'ness from the running and it's playing mind games with you. The Best Thing to Learn about Running is that it does not always feel good to run and when you have reached this foundation of running you need to learn to recognize the mental mind games and start SQUASHING THEM! Stomp them out of your mentality. Stop talking to yourself about how crappy you feel and how it's easier to not run at all. Because YES it's easy to stop and it's easy to give up! You will Find your true inner strength when you challenge and push beyond these thoughts during this time. Next time you know you are going to fail, I dont care what you have to say to yourself, but you keep your *** moving! Get mean with yourself if you have to! Perhaps you need other positive uplifting mantras to keep you going! Sometimes I'll think about someone else hardship in life, you know maybe someone dying of cancer or maybe how inspirational it is to learn of someone triumphing and surviving far worse than a 3 mile run! Sorry if this sounds harsh but I was the all time class for having many many moments of mental mind games and heck once in a while I still do but they are infrequent now and I learned how to get past the mind play! Good Luck, you Have been doing this so you Continue to do this! :hug:

twinmommaplusone
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
*WAVES*
Still Running here! Week 3 marathon training done! Tomorrow excited for an outdoor 6 miler, 30 degree temps might feel like spring, lol.

krampus
01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Hi all!

I've been struggling with binges and gaining, but running has been great this week. I've only gone out twice, but both times I kept at a good pace for a full hour. Tonight I was much faster than Tuesday night. I'm guessing I went maybe 5.5-6 miles.

You know what, I'm going to sign up for the 10k race in April. Even if I'm the slowest runner and I crap my pants or fall.

mkat321
01-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Can I join? Just did W1D1 on Tuesday night. Felt pretty good most of the time except calf pain during the last 3 run sections but I get that pain on the treadmill any time I go much over 3.0 mph so I was ready for it mentally.

I'm trying to do C25K in addition to training with a half marathon training team. Their slowest speed is 12-14 minute/miles and I get excited if I can do under 20 minute miles, but they've been tolerant and helpful thus far.

ange82much
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm enjoying getting back into my running this year.

Well, sort of. It's been a bit hot to enjoy really, and i've had to do it all at 0530am just to avoid the worst of the heat, anyway cooler today (but about to go to work) and should be cooler tomorrow, so planning my long run of the week at something over 90mins tomorrow morning (did 90mins last week and plan is to build gradually). Hurray!

I like planning a longer run and deciding where to go etc (although totally understand dreading it if it was on a treadmill. Yuk)

Good on you for picking the 10k Krampus. Bet you're nowhere near last place. That's the sort of thing i used to worry about, and needn't have, even though i AM slow. There'll be plenty slower than you. April is yonkers away anyway.

Jules - how was spin class? I'm a spin regular, usually 2 a week - it's good!

ncuneo
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Ugh! What a crappy week! So my DS was sick and I missed Monday as I already mentioned. Well I made that up Tuesday, had a good 4 Wednesday and then I got sick:( I ran 2 miles Thursday, even though I usually don't run Thursdays, to help try to meet my goal of 25 this week, and then last night I barely slept due to aches and pains and missed this morning's run:( So technically I'm only behind about 1 mile of my usual because I ran Thursday, but I was hoping to be +5 on my usual. Anyway, I'm babbling...I'm hoping I'll feel well enough for my long run tomorrow and will get in a good 10-12, but deep down I know I should probably skip it, but my skinny girl attitude is saying don't you dare. We'll play it by ear. Besides the aches and pains which are subsiding it's above the neck so I'm trying to suck it up!

ange82much
01-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you could do with a bit of a rest ncuneo. I'd say re-plan the schedule to allow for a couple of days off.

Did my long run this morning. 100mins trail which was good although fairly technical so pretty slow. Abiding by the 10% rule for increasing my long runs so hoping to stay away from injury, and should be back up to 2hrs by the end of feb....

Aclai4067
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
So last week I skipped Wednesday's run to let my muscles recover a bit. Between running and spinning I'd been doing hard workouts every day for a week. Then Friday I just did three 5min intervals. I was thinking about how much more natural and comfortable my stride feels on the shorter, faster runs. So the game plan right now is to back track a bit on my distance, and start working on my speed. At the beginning of the month I had my big revelation that I could run longer if I just slowed down. But with each addition to my distance I slowed more and more. And the slower I ran, the more my legs ached. Slower may be easier cardiovascularly, but it's a lot harder muscularly. I have long legs, running at 4.5 mph (or anywhere under 5mph for that matter) just isn't natural for me.

I bought some new shoes yesterday and I'm eager to try them out. But I want to stick with my MWF running schedule, so they'll have to wait another day!

ETA- oh, and I had an NSV with the new shoes. The guy at the store looked at my old New Balances, measured my foot and brought out a pair of Asics. My first reaction was "oh no, I can't wear Asics, I have wide feet." To which he told me I don't have wide feet and my old shoes were too wide for me, which is why my laces were pulled about as tight as they'll go. I tried the Asics and, sure enough, they were not too narrow. The were even slightly big in the heel and I ended up with a pair of Brooks. Hooray for skinnier feet!

meoc7197
01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
OK so today was my last run for January. I ran 6 miles today. i can hardly believe I did it. I was so worried. Yesterday I was scheduled for 4 miles and I could not run the whole thing. So to say that i was shocked and amazed with myself is an underestimate.
So my total for January was 46 miles. Moving fwd to February. Hoping the weather eases up here in New England. I am worried for when I need to transition to running outside that I won't be able to do it.

twinmommaplusone
01-30-2011, 08:59 PM
11 miles today, 6 yesterday, ending my month with 107 miles.

Happy Running!

ubergirl
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Four miles yesterday, and my personal best time at that distance! Didn't add up my miles this month, but I think for February I will.

ncuneo
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Sounds like you could do with a bit of a rest ncuneo. I'd say re-plan the schedule to allow for a couple of days off.

Yeah...something has to give. I went ahead and ran 9 on Saturday. It felt pretty good, but the rest of the day I was exhausted and just felt terrible. Sunday I felt ok, but today I'm feeling awful again and missed my run this am because I'm pretty sure my sinus' are going to explode and my lungs are killing me. I think this is the most running I've missed in a year and I'm having a really hard time with it. I know I need rest, but it's hard to give yourself permission to do that sometimes. I'm not too sure what my plans are this week. Well, I do, but I'm not sure anyone would approve :). I think taking today off was smart...I just have to keep telling myself that's it ok and it's better than turning this into something really serious if I don't allow my body time to heal.

Anywho - have a great week everyone, tomorrow's a new month!

Krazy
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Only ran 14 miles last week, not the 25-30 I was hoping for. Iím going to try for 20-25 miles this week. I did 4 today outside, even though thereís still snow on the ground. Thatís 4 miles run for the month of February, shooting for 75-100 miles for the month.

ange82much
02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Too hot here.

It was still 108F when i left work last night, and still 88F at midnight. Still had a 5km slow trot this morning (with some hills), but can't see me getting a long run in this week since the temps are staying put for a while.

The gym is nice and cool, so i'll do classes there instead (no treadmill i don't think though - too boring!)

ncuneo - have you considered finding some pilates classes or something like that? It would give you a rest, but at the same time is good for your running, with the core strength work and flexibility.

ncuneo
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
^Actually, I've been seriously considering adding yoga to my program.

I'm feeling quite a bit better today and am excited to get back into the swing of things!