30-Somethings - How often do you weigh?

View Full Version : How often do you weigh?

carrie31324
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I have been reading the book Conquer Your Food Addiction (great read) and it says to weigh twice a day, morning and night. Does anyone else weigh twice a day? I have never been a fan of weighing at night and I am having a hard time with this!:dizzy:

seagirl
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
I weigh every morning, and sometimes when I get home from work out of curiosity - it's usually lower when I get home from work.

JennyT
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Yah I do it, I like it see the numbers and how my weigh flucuates throughout the day. Helps me not panic too much if the scale is up. Usually as a result of salt intake, water etc.

weightgame
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I only wiegh once a week

Lauren201
12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
I weigh myself once a day, right after I wake up.

lazydaisy
12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I weigh myself once a day, in the morning after I pee and without any clothes on. I think that is the most accurate!

kuchick
12-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I weigh once in the morning and right before bed - mostly so I don't get any nasty scale suprises in the morning. It helps me see a pattern to the day. I know that I always weigh about 2 pounds more at night, and I'll lose it by morning (unless I get too much sodium). And sometimes it's nice to see a lower-than-expected number at night and know that my morning number might show a loss - I only count my morning weigh-ins.

alyssarof2012
12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I always thought everyone was against this, especially weight loss professionals. Most people say it is bad to weigh everyday, let alone twice a day everyday.

HOWEVER, I do weigh myself once or twice a day. I always felt guilty about it, but I do it anyways. It is very motivational for me and lets me see my progress immediately. I always find myself checking the next day to make sure I'm still there before I log it.

pinkflower
12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I weigh 2x a day and have found I'm always 2 lbs almost on the nose heavier at night than I will be the next morning. Even though my weight fluctuates, there are no surprises :) Weighing daily keeps me focused and there is no burying my nose in the sand. You can't hide from the # on the scale!

MadamButterfly
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I started 2 1/2 months ago and only weighed myself once a month, I didn't want to be disappointed. Now I weigh myself every morning, after i piddle and without clothes, then I like to weigh myself just before bed, after I piddle. Although, before I started doing this I had to set my mind straight to the fact that my weight would fluctuate day to day and that was OK. Once my mind was set I bought a scale. My scale does BMI, body fat % and % of H2O, I do this 3-4 time a week.

Oh sometimes I weigh myself after I put on my clothes, then I know how much the clothes weigh.

Also somewhere on 3F chicks there was a woman who weighed herself everyday and found a pattern, so I am very excited to see if my weight loss has a pattern.

Good luck, just keep moving . . .

eclipse
12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I weight at least once in the morning and once before bed. I only record the morning weight, though.

theox
12-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I usually only weigh myself in the morning. While I'm usually 2 pounds heavier at night than in the morning, sometimes that weight stays on in the morning or goes up, which can be discouraging. So, mornings only work better for me. I weigh in every morning unless I'm out of town and away from my scale.

Jonesie
12-31-2010, 07:46 AM
I weigh all day long. I have a problem. If I walk in to the kitchen to eat something I shouldnt, I will sometimes walk right through to the laundry room and weigh myself instead.

seagirl
12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I started 2 1/2 months ago and only weighed myself once a month, I didn't want to be disappointed. Now I weigh myself every morning, after i piddle and without clothes, then I like to weigh myself just before bed, after I piddle. Although, before I started doing this I had to set my mind straight to the fact that my weight would fluctuate day to day and that was OK. Once my mind was set I bought a scale. My scale does BMI, body fat % and % of H2O, I do this 3-4 time a week.

Oh sometimes I weigh myself after I put on my clothes, then I know how much the clothes weigh.

Also somewhere on 3F chicks there was a woman who weighed herself everyday and found a pattern, so I am very excited to see if my weight loss has a pattern.

Good luck, just keep moving . . .

That was me. here's the thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/220569-daily-weight-tracking.html

joyfulloser
12-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Now I weigh myself every morning, after i piddle and without clothes, then I like to weigh myself just before bed, after I piddle.

LOL @ piddle...I love it!:D

Ya...I weigh myself once a week (sometimes I sneak a mid-week peek) and it's always first thing in the morning after my pee..ooops...I mean "piddle"..haha!;)

Josephine216
12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I'lll weight myself morning, noon, evening, even in the middle of the night after getting up with the kids or going to pee. I think I might have an issue but at least it keeps me from losing it when I see an increase.

One for evey 5 pounds lost
:p:p

Martina
01-01-2011, 01:52 AM
I usually weigh every morning when I first wake up. That is when I actually remember to do it.

Emmy1979
01-02-2011, 02:21 PM
In the past I have weighed myself every morning, first thing. I also weighed myself every night before bed. I really think it helps me - even though I may get a little obsessive about it. I plan to do the same now that I am getting back on the healthier living bandwagon!

Emmy <3

Bac0s
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I weigh myself every morning, sans clothing and after using the bathroom. I also weigh myself before bed, while changing into my jammies. Dunno why, but I like to compare to the previous night's weight.

darway
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
If I just happen to be changing clothes (such as a few hours ago after staining a fence, getting out of my outdoor "groadies") then I may weigh myself again since I'm undressed anyhow. Otherwise it's just in the mornings. I don't like looking at the "clothed" weight and guessing what it really should be.

natamars
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I usually weigh in every morning, but count my "official" weigh-in as Friday mornings. But when I was struggling to get below 130 and had months of up 2, down 2, I got discouraged. So I did a 9-day diet change and didn't weigh myself the whole time. When I saw that I was only down .2, I wanted to cry.

Now I haven't weighed myself since before Thanksgiving and don't want to get discouraged again, so I'm waiting until I've been back on plan(calorie-counting) for 2 weeks before I weigh in. I have an idea based on my clothes getting tight, but I'm not ready to see the number.

milliondollarbbw
01-03-2011, 12:43 AM
I think twice a day is a bit excessive, as your weight will most likely fluctuate from morning to evening.

I weigh myself once a day, and a lot of people, especially those in the food addiction arena advise AGAINST weighing daily, because your weight can fluctuate by multiple pounds day to day (usually due to fluid retention).

For me, I weigh every day (when I am trying to be aware of my weight) in the morning. It helps to keep me on track. When I am in binge mode, then I tend to ignore the scale because I would then find it depressing.

The Last Noel
01-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I weigh all day long. I have a problem. If I walk in to the kitchen to eat something I shouldnt, I will sometimes walk right through to the laundry room and weigh myself instead.

LOL that is so funny. I do that too and I wasnt gonna say but you said it first so...

gagirl1
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Carrie, just curious, what reason does the author give for weighing twice a day? Personally, I'm a fan of the morning weigh-in.

MisfitRycher
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
First Saturday of the month here unless I have a reason to weigh myself on another day... I need to get a new calendar so I can start reminding myself when I need to step on that infernal scale again. (I think they're called monthly calendars... Where you see one month at a time and you can just lift the page for the next month.)

mslynn
01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
once a week on Sunday....

GlamourGirl827
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I weigh once in the morning and right before bed - mostly so I don't get any nasty scale suprises in the morning. It helps me see a pattern to the day. I know that I always weigh about 2 pounds more at night, and I'll lose it by morning (unless I get too much sodium). And sometimes it's nice to see a lower-than-expected number at night and know that my morning number might show a loss - I only count my morning weigh-ins.

Exactly the same here! And here I thought I was the only one that had it down to a science like that! ;)

Emme
01-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I weigh myself once a day, in the morning after I pee and without any clothes on. I think that is the most accurate!

I do the exact same thing, except every other day. I don't even grab a drink of water when I wake up, it's straight to the scale!

fatlittlepig
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
oh my, i do it every morning and before bed.

onemoremile
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm a "twice a day-er" too! It helps for me to actually see the fluctuations of my body and what kind of food will make me bloaty, etc. Recently, I've noticed that if I stick with fluids in the evenings after dinner(mostly water or water with a splash of fruit juice), I am more likely to see the scale go down.

The instant feedback from the scale propels me/encourages me to make adjustments in my diet and exercise to keep the loss going. I think I need this kind of discipline at this stage of my weight loss game. I sure look forward to the day that I am in maintenance mode and only weigh once a week or so to stay within 5-7 lbs of my goal. Sigh.

HMM3
01-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't have scales at home ..... so I only weigh at the gym ..... about once or twice a week ... when noone else is anywhere near the scale!!!!

dietcokehead98
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I admit it, everyday. However, I don't let it dictate my day.
For example, I'm up .5 this morning, however I am expecting tom any day now and I had some pretzel sticks last night.
If it went up 3lbs overnight, I'd probably react differently :)

NewMeka
01-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Hello everyone!

I weigh twice a week on Monday's and Thursday's.

helen73
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I weigh at morning and night, unless I've slipped the day before. Then I'll stop for a couple days so if I did gain I won't let it get me down or give me a reason to keep cheating.

AZ Sunrises
01-24-2011, 10:51 PM
If it's left out in the floor, I'll step on it every time I walk into the bathroom. I think it's a Pavlovian thing. See scale...must weigh. Likewise, if I put it away, I'll forget to weigh for several days in a row.

DiamondAries21
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I weigh in once a day ( used to be atleast 5x's a day) but I am going to stop and only weigh myself on Sundays so that I can be really surprised with what the scale says (hopefully good news)

Side note: I used to get mad when a day would go by and I didnt lose any weight lol

VeggieGurlShay
01-25-2011, 07:40 AM
I weigh in once a week on Monday mornings.

I used to do it everyday when I lost weight 3 years ago but it was taking up too much of my life. I felt chained to it. This go round I am looking for a life long thing where I dont feel the need to seek validation through the scale. Instead be more in tune with how I'm feeling and how my clothes are fitting.

kiki100
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
My scale and I have a love/hate relationship. My last weight loss efforts had me on the scale all the time. Morning, night, and anytime in between.

This time around I'm TRYING for once a week. I know my weight can fluctuate on a daily basis but the up fluctuations are too discouraging to me...I like to see a weekly (hopefully bigger) weigh in loss.

CosmicGal
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I weight once a day, after I exercise whenever that is. I use the wii fit board as my scale and so far so good. I haven't weighted myself in years before I started a little after new years. So this is kind of a new thing.

PurdueGirl98
01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I weight about twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday morning. Sunday is the day I use for progress purposes. I was a daily weigher when I first started my journey but realized it drove me crazy, especially when I gained.

Chrissyh06
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Once a day about midmorning. I use the wii fit to weigh in with. I am doing a 7 week challenge with my Church group and we are ultra competitive.

DigitalSinner
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
At first, I was terrified to get on the scale, knowing that I had cheated my diet...I didn't want to see the scale where it was.

Lately, I've started weighing in every day. It's becoming a compulsion.

whisperingshouts
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I try to stick to my weekly weigh in with my coach, but sometime I will sneak one or two additional weigh ins a week, first thing in the morning after I piddle!

BMIGIRL
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi I am new to blogging but I check my scale twice a day. As I wake up in the morning after my shower and then just before I go to bed. Is this silly or wrong?

suenos096
02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I love my scale so much. We have a love love relationship now. I used to hate it until I realized how much it motivates me. When I saw a gain before on the scale I'd be a little upset and I would almost want to quit but I didn't and when I got on again a couple of days later I found that I'd lost. It's taught me how to stay in tune with my body and how's it's reacting to certain things like TOM or too much salt or I need to eat more cleanly.

I recently realized that I needed to eat less red meat and more chicken and seafood. I had been seeing about a 1 pound a week loss on the scale and when I cut the beef and it was just after TOM there was a pound a day for the past 4 days or so. Now I kinda see how my body was working. Now I love becoming more in tune with my body.

kaplods
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Yep, I always weigh at least once a day (every morning) and usually twice a day (also before bed), and sometimes more often.

I always believed the old wive's tale "don't weigh more than once a week, or you'll get discouraged," but it dawned on me that I'd only be discouraged if I expected daily weight loss. If I wanted to learn about "normal fluctations," I'd have to weigh more often, and for a while I weighed before and after every time I ate, drank, or went to the bathroom. I learned a lot.

I realized that I cannot gain a pound from a two ounce candybar. In fact, I cannot gain a pound unless I eat at least a pound (and even then to gain a pound, from a pound, it would have to be a pound of pure fat)

Weighing myself after eating off plan, gave me a way to see "worst case scenario." It counteracted the stray thought of "I've blown it now, I might as well keep eating for the rest of the day (or weekend)."

There is no "blown it." If I eat a two ounce candybar, or small bag of chips, I've only (possibly) set myself back by roughly an ounce to an ounce and a half (218 - 330 calories).

Now of course, each ounce/calorie adds up, but when I've lost track of how off-plan I've gotten, getting on the scale is a reality check for me. I choose to look at it that way, and I also refuse to see a weight gain as a reason to gain more.

This is the biggest wive's tale of weight loss, that if you gain weight, you might as well gain some more before starting over. What kind of ***-backwards logic is that, anyway? But it is how we're "taught" to diet. We all know it's wrong and we do it anyway, because it's how we see everyone else do it.

I didn't realize how many times I had intentionally thrown myself off the cliff I was climbing after a small stumble. It was a bit like learning to play organ/keyboards when I was younger. If I made a mistake, I would start over. I never played a piece imperfectly to the end. I always started from scratch or it "didn't count." I realized I was doing weight loss the same way. If I realized that I'd made a mistake, I had to "start fresh" the next day, the next week, the next month, the next year. And if I realized a WOE wasn't for me, I almost always took a "break" between diets long enough to regain all the weight (and then some). At least in the back of my mind, I was "starting over" and to start over, I had to regain all of the weight (or more) before I started over.

I wasn't consciously planning weight loss this way, but it was the way I'd seem most people do it. It's a pattern I fell into without realizing it.

"This time" has been different, mainly in that I've decided to be an experiment of one, and would end up having to "unlearn" all the ineffective strategies I didn't even realize I had learned. For me, my food journal helped me discover what was effective, and what was not, and I found that so much of what works for me, flies in the face of almost everything I've learned or absorbed about weight loss.

I don't have to be perfectly on plan to succeed. I just have to do better, consistently.

I can weigh as often as I like, as often as I find useful.

I can follow any plan I want, I can even choose a different plan every day. If I find it's not working the way I can accept, I can move on to another plan, without having to have so much as a single day's break.

No matter what, even if I see a temporary gain, I don't have to get discouraged (and if I don't get discouraged, my motivation is much higher and more sustained).

Low-carb isn't unhealthy, or unsustainable. Even though I have a hard time sticking to it, that's ok. The more consistently I try, the better I get and the more I lose, and the less hungry I am.

If something works for someone else, doesn't mean it will work for me.

Sustainable isn't just about finding what I can stick with, it can also be about learning to stick with something that is effective

What's true today, may not be true tomorrow. If something works (mentally & physically) today, it won't necessarily work forever. If circumstances change, then so must I.

There are a thousand other lessons I learned, and most of them required unlearning something I thought I knew (or didn't even know I had learned and believed).

Yeah, I know I rambled and got off track. I tend to do that. But it's really been important for me to "think outside of the box" to sustain weight loss. For most of my life I thought I was lazy and unmotivated, when I actually had been putting intense and sometimes even superhuman amount of work into strategies that were ineffective. I had learned to fail at weight loss (and I did it spectacularly).

Learning weight loss, has been more about unlearning than learning. I now take every bit of weight loss "common wisdom" with a huge grain of salt, because two of the biggest nuggets of common wisdom (that I followed for more than 30 years) turned out to be complete hooey for me (that weighing daily was discouraging and counterproductive and that carb restriction was unhealthy and unsustainable).

Keep an open mind, experiment, record and periodically evaluate your results, and repeat the process over and over and over again. Do what works, not what everyone says works.

suenos096
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh my kaplods your "off track" post sang to me! LOL That's exactly what I've learned from the scale.

tamara72
02-06-2011, 02:23 PM

was starting to get worried until i saw this post...this is soo me. every time i go in the bathroom (which is lots) i weigh myself. know i shouldnt but know that if i put the scales away i will stop watching what i eat and put the weight back on again. purely psychological i think!!

Tohisha77
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
i used 2 weigh myself once a week in the morning.
but even that has caused me stress and anxiety.
so now ive made it once a month.

seabiscuit
02-15-2011, 12:51 AM
I let my doctors weigh me, whenever I go is when I get weighed, usually about once a month. I can't stand having a scale in the home. I developed an obsession with it. I started weighing all the time and I was going nuts :dizzy: with it so I threw out a beautiful scale! Now I leave it up to the professionals and am much happier with that. :)

SunnyDC
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
almost daily. but always after i wake up, after i pee, totally naked and before i shower.

sundancemommy
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I could lie and say once a week, or day...but I know I have a problem..2-3 times a day. LOL I dont know why, but if the number is is lower at night/ or the same I know the next morning I usually have a loss. UGH>I am obsessive.

aspenemry
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I go through different phases. Most of the time I am an "all day weigher". I will weigh first thing in the morning before I shower (thinking my wet hair would add a few ounces!...I know obsessive) I will then (if I am home) proceed to weigh off and on during the day to watch the fluctuations. I, too, learn the patterns and that plateaus are usually hormonal. However, there have definitely been times when I have thrown the scale away only to end up buying a new one a month later, and times when I have cut down to once a week, or once a month. It kind of depends where I am mentally and emotionally.

stacygee
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I was worried for a while when reading through these posts. I weigh up to 7 times during the day and for the month of March I have been writing every weigh down. First thing in the mroning after pee naked is the one I count. For a pound to count as gone it has to be gone two consecutive days in a row. But, then out of curiousity I weigh after my am workout, after lunch, at 3:30, after pm workout, after dinner and bedtime. Never gotten all 7 (I don't do two workouts in one day very often).

HMM3
04-02-2011, 04:49 AM
I've changed my answer since really starting to lose and getting a scale ..... now its everytime Im go past it in the bathroom ... :)

lynnie923
04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
My scale and I have a love/hate relationship. My last weight loss efforts had me on the scale all the time. Morning, night, and anytime in between.

This time around I'm TRYING for once a week. I know my weight can fluctuate on a daily basis but the up fluctuations are too discouraging to me...I like to see a weekly (hopefully bigger) weigh in loss.

I hear ya!! I weigh only on Sundays at 7am.

ilbnej
04-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I've changed my answer since really starting to lose and getting a scale ..... now its everytime Im go past it in the bathroom ... :)

That's me too! I already had the scale but never used it until I started this effort and now i step on whenever I see it. The funny thing is that it reads 10 pounds light vs the wii fit and the gym scale. But thats ok bc I just add the 10 back on in my head - it's the difference that really matters. I keep wondering if it will get closer to being accurate as I my weight declines. I can't wait to see!

jessper17
04-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I weigh myself every morning but only count what the scale says on Sunday. It keeps me motivated during the week plus it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates each week.

silentarctic
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Whenever I feel like it? Is that bad? I try lately to weigh myself at least once a week I'm not really being "hardcore" so I'm pretty much checking when I weigh myself to make sure that I haven't gained a ton of weight.

When I am in hardcore (eat super health work out lots) mode I weigh almost daily because it keeps me focused. (I get really obsessive)

EricaRhea
04-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Only once a week, otherwise it drives me crazy. Oh, and always at the same time.

txladymedic
04-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I weigh every morning....I pee, I strip, I weigh, I go get ready for work.

Sarah

sunlover
04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I weigh every morning and night...only counting the morning weigh ins though. I find that I can fluctuate 2-3 lbs per day. It is discouraging sometimes, but I would rather know that it is a daily fluctuation than weigh once a week and be really disappointed.

fluffyfashionista
04-30-2011, 03:30 AM
when im actively working to lose weight (like now), i weigh weekly and measure monthly.

i wake up, pee, strip (everything has to go, even a hair scrunchie!) and weigh.

Atilos80
04-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I am a scale junkie... If I see it, I weigh... And then comes the frustration... I normally try to weigh weekly though...

Erin27
04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
I weigh every morning (pee, strip, weigh) but only track once a week. I like to see the fluctuations, but only base my total weight loss on what I see on Friday morning. I find this keeps me motivated the best.