Exercise! - running while sore?

View Full Version : running while sore?

matt_H
12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Is it always a bad idea?

I did 5 miles on Monday and 5 miles yesterday. Both runs were fairly slow (mostly 4.5 and 5.0 speeds on the treadmill). I have a 4 mile race on Saturday but I don't care at all about my time. I was planning on taking today and tomorrow off, but I really want to run tonight.

Nothing gives me an endorphin kick and puts me in a better mood like completing a run and right now I could definitely use an endorphin kick. I want to go for a 3 mile run, but it could be further as my 3 mile run yesterday turned into 5.

I usually don't run more than 12-15 miles a week and if I do 3 today and 4 on Saturday it will be 17 in total.

So, wise exercisers, should I go with my heart and run because that is what I feel like doing or should I use my head and play it safe by getting a couple of days rest before the race?

joyfulloser
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Take two days off before run...you'll come back with a much stronger run IMHO. In any event...HAVE FUN & ENJOY your race!!!:D

seagirl
12-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Follow your heart! Run if you want to!

Ashley829
12-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I actually read somewhere working out helps with sore muscles because you are stretching the muscle and getting blood flowing so that you are less tight. If you feel okay to run, I would run.

matt_H
12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I actually read somewhere working out helps with sore muscles because you are stretching the muscle and getting blood flowing so that you are less tight. If you feel okay to run, I would run.

I'm going to follow my heart and I'm going to the gym here shortly. I think what tipped the scales into going for a run was the ginormous greek wrap I just ate for dinner. I stopped into a new sandwich shop in the area and picked something up to eat and this thing was HUGE. However, it was delicious and I was starving. ;)

Now I'm off to burn off a bit of that and run. I'll update this thread later on tonight with how many miles I did. I might only run a couple or I could bust out 4 or 5 miles again.

matt_H
12-30-2010, 09:42 PM
update:

Just did a slow and easy 3 miles. Felt like I could have done a lot more, but didn't want to go overboard with the race coming up on Saturday.

The good news is I probably burned off about 400 calories of that ginormous sandwich for dinner. :) That probably put a slight dint in the total!

Yay for the endorphin high :)

evilwomaniamshe
12-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Rockstar! Best of luck in your race, I be rootin for ya, go... (30)! :)

twinmommaplusone
12-31-2010, 09:46 AM
I was going to say Run! LOL, Glad you did!

Eliana
12-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you! I hope the race goes well today! :carrot:

Now me? Running scares me, so I do not run sore IF the soreness is anything unusual. I'm quite used to sore calfs and quads! :dizzy: Not a problem. But running brings on odd aches and pains if I run more two days in a row. Had I popped in on the thread earlier I'd have suggested some cross training, like the bike, the elliptical (though I think you said it's uncomfortable, possibly due to height) or the rowing machines, or running stairs or jumping rope.