Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #1  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Willing to starve, but not to exercise?

I had a chat with someone today, and I'm just a little confused. I met this acquaintance on another weight loss site and we talk through email once in a while. Now this guy isn't overweight, he just wants to lose about 10 pounds and get muscle definition. Today he brought up the fact that he's going to start a new diet.

No carbs at all and max 500 cals a day. Granted that's just for ten days, but he said that "the next two weeks aren't much better." So I guess he will increase his calories and maybe add carbs but I have no idea.

I came right out and told him I thought it wasn't a good idea and that he was probably setting himself up to lose muscle. I suggested that if he wants to "lose his gut" (his words) upping his cardio and adding in some real intense workouts like HIITs while maintaining a reasonable caloric deficit was a much better idea. And he responded with "I hate working out."

I can't understand how a person could put themselves through the "diet" he is starting, but not be willing to do something that will bring them not only weight loss but tons of other health benefits. Obviously it's his choice and I didn't push it, but I'm just confused! Yeah I love seeing the scale drop, but I want to know that I'm getting fit not just skinny....
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

yup. I get it to some extent, I also don't like exercising. But, if he wants muscle definition, dieting won't do it. He likely knows this, and is in denial.
I have found the key is doing things I don't think of as exercise. (I like hot yoga and cross country skiing). I expect he hasn't found something he enjoys, and doesn't want to go to the gym. As you know, you can't do it for him, and while I get the not wanting to exercise, I sure don't get the diet plan.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

LOL! Typical guy's diet on the first try. I think I did this more than a few times, in fact!

Crash diets do not work.

I can remember doing things like eating just 1/4 of a burger each day. I'd rationalize that "I'm eating what i want, but less of it".

Last edited by darway; 12-29-2010 at 07:49 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I can understand not wanting to exercise. I used to really hate it too. I guess what I don't get is being able to go through the pain of such an extreme crash diet but at the same time not be willing to push through working out. Even though working out and eating more will result in a better outcome. It seems illogical to me.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 12-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I'd ask...500 calories of what? He can spare muscle (kind of) at that amount with straight protein, but he'll also be upping his blood sugar and insulin resistance when his body starts converting protein to glucose. Rebound.

I know and know of guys who have used those types of diets to drop a few fast, but they're usually wrestlers going for a weight class and rarely do it for more than a few days.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

because he's lazy!!!!!!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I love my workouts and can't wait to go to the gym everyday. He is really missing out.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

if that guy did any kind of research he would find out that will have the exact opposite effect of muscle definition. He is going to lose muscle and add more flab when he goes back to eating normally. I think he will learn from his mistakes (as we all do).
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #9  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

great attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
Yeah I love seeing the scale drop, but I want to know that I'm getting fit not just skinny....
but frankly, I quite often see (even on this site), people who just want to look better/lose weight and dont but their health as the priority. sure they may not be doing it to such an obvious/extreme...but its still really prevalent. its not my place to judge, people have to figure out their priorities on their own.

but I def applaud your attitude!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
if that guy did any kind of research he would find out that will have the exact opposite effect of muscle definition. He is going to lose muscle and add more flab when he goes back to eating normally. I think he will learn from his mistakes (as we all do).
This is what I was thinking. He's simply living with complete and total ignorance! It's mind numbing. I feel bad for him. He is indeed going to achieve the exact opposite of he wants.

I'm baffled by the number of GUYS I find are terrified of the gym. What gives?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I always wonder what people mean by "no carbs". Is he just going to eat meat? I mean - veggies are carbs. And your BRAIN needs carbs to function.

I can understand not wanting to exercise... I used to hate it. But now, I have found things I enjoy. Some people are more interested in looking good than in being healthy. I don't necessarily thing that is right or wrong.

I know if I were limiting myself to 500 calories and never exercising... I would be a cranky, moddy, miserable person. Lol!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #12  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

We forget there are different body types out there. For example, my husband doesn't need to lose weight, he's very toned and looks fantastic. He's lost weight only because of how my diet/cooking etc etc has changed. He slimmed down about 10-15 pounds over a course of 3 months and is still in great shape — only much more defined muscle-wise. He has/had very little body fat to begin with. For someone that is overweight and doesn't have good muscle build, then yes, while they may drop the pounds it's not going to magically make their muscles more defined (if they weren't in shape or had them to begin with). And coming from someone that lived off of 500 calories per day, it's not good for you (I only started getting that into my head) and it does have serious consequences to it.
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
I can't understand how a person could put themselves through the "diet" he is starting, but not be willing to do something that will bring them not only weight loss but tons of other health benefits. Obviously it's his choice and I didn't push it, but I'm just confused! Yeah I love seeing the scale drop, but I want to know that I'm getting fit not just skinny....
Note he's PLANNING it, he hasn't done it. For some people, diet plans are really a form of masturbation. They get to sit around day dreaming about how tough they are going to be, how perfect, how the weight will just fall off--there is a whole musical montage going on in their head. When you have that sort of fantasy going, the tougher and more strict it is, the better and more virtuous you feel while planning it. It lasts 48 hours, tops.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #14  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

I don't know about this guy but for me weight loss has to go with exercise as I am just very flabby otherwise, and being tonned i think reduces body fat and makes me look and feel better so i would do it any time!!!
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #15  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
I always wonder what people mean by "no carbs". Is he just going to eat meat? I mean - veggies are carbs. And your BRAIN needs carbs to function.
You - your brain, that is - can get by just fine on an all meat diet. Protein is fairly easily converted to glucose, and after a week or so your brain can take up ketones over glucose.

There is that pesky scurvy problem, though. Far as I can tell, the only place to get Vitamin C is through a) fruits/veggies or b) adrenal glands of freshly slaughtered animals <-- don't see that much at the grocer's!

Really, I think his biggest problem is going to be muscle wasting. You can't send your body signals that you're starving and then expect it to give up it's favorite fuel store!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote