Exercise! - Exercise with little to no attention span

Leap
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Entertaining for me is doing several things that I have to think about at one time. I read while I watch the tv shows I like. While I'm browsing this forum and writing this, I have a book open. Exercise is entirely too boring for me.

I've managed to enjoy swimming I can count my strokes between breaths, concentrate on my form, and think about stuff. I know an exercise plan can't just be one activity though. Has anyone else found something brain challenging to not be so bored?

seagirl
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Mountain biking - your brain is doing about 87 things at once to keep you upright and not flying end over end onto the rocks.

Walking - I talk to myself and look at the pretty houses.

Yoga - going inward and paying attention to my alignment.

Hiking - again, paying attention so you don't trip and fall or accidentally stab a snake with your hiking pole.

Snow shoeing - constantly adjusting layers based on wind whipping off the water.

Biking - trying not to run over people or get hit by a car.

tea2
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I listen to audiobooks while I walk or run.

luckyme0510
12-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Lol. Your post made me laugh because I immediately though how stupid I must look trying to follow one of those overly choreographed exercise videos. I own about two from the firm that I never use because I can never figure out the pattern to the video, maybe you'd enjoy something like that. I find myself thinking too much while I'm trying to exercise. I'm your polar opposite, I need to be able to concentrate on my exercise. The only kind of "entertainment" I like when I'm exercising is the company of a friend, and even that is sometimes too much distraction :) !

wendyland
12-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm the same way. I get so bored. I like to hike & canoe. When I go walking, I have to listen to something. I like the Radio Lab & This American Life podcasts. I get so involved in listening that I'll walk longer to finish the story. I also like wii games.

river
12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Have you considered martial arts? It gets the brain engaged.

Leap
12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I think it's the visual I need. They're all great ideas, now if I could just comfortably add a book, or a 2nd tv while doing a video, or my psp or ds. I can't even do wii because there's too much idle time.

I should just suck it up and power through it, but it's the thing that ultimately makes me give it up. I don't want to leave the couch where all my stimulation is at arm's reach when I know I'll just be bored.

joyfulloser
12-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Well...running is MY all time best brain stimulating exercise. However, in lieu of that...second runner up is most definitely Wii Just Dance 2. It's really fun and a really GREAT workout...you'll sweat a pool all while learning some cool dance moves!:D

Aclai4067
12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I think it's the visual I need. They're all great ideas, now if I could just comfortably add a book, or a 2nd tv while doing a video, or my psp or ds. I can't even do wii because there's too much idle time.

I should just suck it up and power through it, but it's the thing that ultimately makes me give it up. I don't want to leave the couch where all my stimulation is at arm's reach when I know I'll just be bored.

I read on the stationary bike... I daydream during everything else

losermom
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
I listen to heart-pumping music or podcasts and play solitaire while riding my stationary bike.