Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default I think I'm going to have a really hard time!!

So, I've lost about 30lbs so far but I still have a looonnngg way to go, and I think the reason why I'm losing weight SO SLOWLY is because of my diet.

I cheat *a lot*. I have fast food once or twice a week. I have delivery pizza about every 2 weeks. I dont really eat a lot of fruit and I never eat vegetables unless butter and salt soaked corn counts. Instead, I load up on bread and pasta... I had been rationalizing it when I say "well, the pasta is whole wheat pasta... and the meatballs are turkey, not beef.... uhh..."

I have been thinking on this fact a lot... the fact that I will skip eating alllll day because I know I'm going to eat doritos and kitkat bars later so I can "stay within my calories!" and since I work night shift, I've divided my calories by a "midnight counts as the next day" plan for calorie counting. But if my lunch break is from 1130pm to 1230am, I will eat 1500 calories of chips and candy from 1130 to midnight and then from midnight to 1230, I will eat ANOTHER 1500 calories of the junk food... then I will starve until 1130 the the next day... Its bad, its not healthy and its really counter productive to my weight loss. At least, I think it is. Thats the last thing I can think of that is causing my 1lbs/month weight loss.

Today is my birthday. I'm 27 today and I have been struggling with this weight for most of my life. I spent some time looking at pictures throughout the years... gaining and losing the same 30lbs.... and I'm done.

I said I was going to eat "clean" this year, but instead of starting on new years or putting it off, I'm starting it now. I just went through my fridge and cabinets and tossed everything that was unhealthy. I threw out the box of lucky charms, and the movie theater butter microwave popcorn, and the super pretzels and the bisquik pancake mix.... everything.

So yeah, this is where I start eating HEALTHY. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and lean seafood. No more fried food, no more carb loading, no more fast food... I'm going to cook everything I eat and plan everything days ahead of time. I informed DH about all of this and told him that he is going to be eating this way too because I cannot do this while he eats burgers next to me and a fruit plate.

... Yep. Thats where I stand. I'm going to do it but its going to be really really really really hard for me. Anyone else doing this? What did you do to make it easier?
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

yes, i'd say you're definitely right about your diet before being why your losses were so slow. it's hard getting into the new diet at first, but once you do, everything starts tasting better and you feel better. i used to hate tomatoes and broccoli and carrots etc etc and i'd drown it in ranch to avoid tasting it, but the more i ate it, the more i started liking it. you adapt or something. it's a slow process, but you can definitely get there.

as for never eating those things again, i think once you've established your diet for at least 2 months, you can allow yourself a little leeway and have the occasional splurge so long as it doesn't get to the point where you're doing it every weekend. i normally have one once a month, and my weight loss hasn't staggered -- but all of this depends on your ability to turn down food and stopping once you've started. i also occasionally have pizza because it's my favorite food, but only if it's somewhere where i'm able to order by the slice; it's filling and i don't over do it, so it's not as unhealthy a meal.

you should also focus on drinking enough water and eating enough fiber. i recently started counting the grams of fiber i've been eating and i've slowly worked up to 20-29g per day, and my stomach is so much more satisfied. it's great for you and it really keeps you full, not to mention many of the foods that are high in fiber are yummy -- i recommend any of the fiber one cereals that have 13g per serving. it's also a nice way to slip in chocolate -- i eat dietary fiber bars that are chocolate covered and it's a great snack. it kept me from slipping up this christmas when i could have been having brownies instead.

it's great you're doing this -- i think if you stick with it, you'll be really glad for the change. i wish you luck with the DH, because i think by far, that he will be your biggest hurdle. if he eats something that's not on plan, don't use his slip ups as justifications for your own -- that'll only lead down the same path you're at now.

good luck!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I didn't have quite your mid-night problem but I did have terrible eating habits and I used the "i work overnights and it's harder to lose weight when you do shiftwork" excuse for years.

About a year ago I swore off junk food and devoted myself to whole foods. That was 90 pounds ago. If I can do it you can too!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

You know, I don't think you're going to find it as tough as you may think you will. Everyone's body is different, but chances are you'll feel significantly less hungry and deprived eating big, regular meals than you would on small, calorie-dense portions. I'm eating 1500 calories a day too, and I put away some serious (and tasty) chow.

What do you like to eat that also fits in with your plan? It's not sustainable to deny yourself the pleasure of a good meal. I don't care how many times I read about the wonders of tuna and salmon, I think they taste and smell like cat food. Making myself eat them because they're "good for me" would feel like punishment. I'm convinced that a plan absolutely must not feel like a punishment for you if you want to stay on it for the long term. Make a list of stuff you like and buy plenty of it!

Cooking in big batches has been a big help to my husband and me. You'll find that having tasty leftovers is actually better than fast food or ordering pizza because it's right there--no waiting, no driving, you just go grab it. I'm a big fan of food that doesn't require me to wear shoes or dig in my purse for money to get it.

It's also important to lighten up favorite recipes or learn some tasty new ones. Food still has to taste good or you're going to want to pass it up for Doritos. Your own cooking almost always beats fast-food versions nutritionally; a pizza you order in might have an ungodly calorie count per slice, but a thin-crust pizza you make at home can come in well under the 500-calorie mark for the entire pizza.

I think the key is to go a little crazy with the cooking/prep on the days when you have the time to do it. There are a lot of choices in my kitchen right now. My fridge currently contains chili, individual portions of pizza dough, already-baked sweet potatoes, cooked bacon, and about three pounds of turkey (that's not counting fruits and veggies). That means I have a lot of tasty, but plan-friendly choices (even the bacon fits into my plan--and it really livens up a turkey wrap).

Instead of thinking in terms of what you're cutting out, try thinking about what you're adding. You aren't just throwing away those Lucky Charms, you're giving yourself a chance to try some new breakfast options. You aren't just eliminating fast food, you're broadening your choices in your own kitchen. Thinking this way has really helped me; it's pretty much eliminated those feelings of deprivation and punishment that wrecked previous weight-loss attempts.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Those changes will make your body very happy! Just be sure to still measure and weigh your food at first, and track your calories so that you don't fall into the "but it's healthy so I can eat a lot of it" thinking that got me to my high weight...
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #6  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

First, lets start with some kudos! I think it is a testament to your willpower that you have been able to lose weight eating that way. I mean, you have to be REALLY motivated to eat 3000 calories of junk food and then eat NOTHING else till the next junk food! I would have thrown in the towel and been back on a steady diet of crap all day every day by now, for SURE!

In my experience, the way you are doing it is the HARDEST way. Once you lay out a plan and start cooking, eating regularly, and eating stuff that meets your nutritional needs (and LOTS of it, as Nola said), you will most likely settle in and find this much easier than what you are currently doing. It's only really uncomfortably squirmy for that first couple weeks or so while you are trying to get it worked out and get those new habits established.

As far as the occasional junk food, I am experiementing with that. This holiday has led me to splurge a few times on things I would normally not eat. But so far my mindset is still firmly where it needs to be, and I've been able to get back to it -- with a little discomfort and cravings, that is. They do pass.

Give the clean eating way a good try -- I really doubt you'll regret it!

Last edited by shannonmb; 12-29-2010 at 07:33 AM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Wow! You've come to a great decision at a very good time! LOL!

If you don't mind a suggestion, I would suggest that you have a very bad work habit established. There are some things I think are ok in moderation, but not when one is facing a hard established habit. I think you need to cut out the bad eating at work cold turkey and permanently. I like eating at work because I have no choice but to eat what I brought. I pre-plan a healthy meal option and when it's gone, it's gone. And there isn't any whining over whether or not I feel like eating what I brought. It's what I brought...it's what I eat. Stop bringing cash for the vending machine.

Want a story to stop your vending machine trips? I have a good one! It's what stopped me!

My school was moved to a temporary building while new buildings were being built. The temporary building was CRAP and mouse infested. One teacher put her hand into the vending machine to pull out her treat and she pulled out a dead mouse! Another time (this is my favorite story) there was a Butterfinger at the front of the Spiral thing read to drop. The wrapper was pulled down and gnawed off, and all the chocolate coating at been licked away by the mice!! It was just a naked orange Butterfinger at the front of the machine. That was the last time I ever visited the vending machines.

As for eating healthier, try to embrace it! Maybe try one new food every week. Some you will like, some you will love, and some you will hate. I decided I don't need to try roasted radishes again! But I also discovered all vegetables are yummier roasted! Toss with just a touch of olive or canola oil and roast at 400 for about 20 minutes. Season vegetables and fruits are lots of fun, especially when you're trying something new every week.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Congrats on realizing that something wasn't working, and being willing to make a hard choice!

I switched over to SB because I had difficulties calorie counting, but there are a few helpful tricks that I've learned that are beneficial regardless of your plan.

First off- veggies! I aim for a minimum of five cups a day, and it really keeps me full and happy! I usually serve two different kinds of vegetables with dinner (a cup of each) and a cup of vegetables with lunch and a cup of salad. I snack on half a cup to a cup, and usually have half a cup of veggies in my eggs. It really does help keep me satisfied.

Then, get creative! Not eating carby foods has forced me to come up with new meals and try new things. Especially vegetables (back to point number one) Seek out new recipes and keep things exciting. You'll have a few flops, but a lot of successes. You'll also surprise yourself! I am a die hard potato fan who now says "meh" to mashed potatoes and prefers cauliflower au gratin over potatoes au gratin (made with light cheese and no butter or flour)
These new recipes help keep your diet from feeling stale, and help you to really enjoy food.

Cut out ALL of the crap. For me, just a taste was bad. Little "splurges" almost always turned into several days off plan. With some time and distance under my belt I can be a little looser with things, but I wouldn't recommend trying any of those former foods until you don't want them anymore. If that makes sense.

Lots of water! It helps me feel awake and clear headed. Plus, that and all the veggies I eat keep thing er moving along. I drink 4-5 liters a day while at work and it relaly helps cut down on boredom eating and mindless snacking.

Good luck!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote