General chatter - toilet seat wars

View Full Version : toilet seat wars

eroica27
12-28-2010, 08:48 PM
so i was watching dirty jobs and they were removing old toilets when the conversation turned to women's annoyance to the toilet seat being left up. as a chick with guy friends, it doesn't bother me...so long as the lid underside hasn't been "christened." in fact if i go to a guy's house i leave the seat the way i found it, usually lid up.

Soo does leaving the seat up drive you crazy, is it a minor annoyance, or meh, indifference?

chickybird
12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
If it's someone else's house, I don't say anything, and I leave it the way I found it. At my house, I prefer DH to leave it down when he's done. I have serious back issues, and a "dunk" in the middle of the night when I'm groggy might jar my back badly. He's very good about it though.

Ursula745
12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
It doesn't bother me. I don't know how the rule was made that one was more of the right way than the other. I leave it down, DH leaves it up. Big deal. I'll burn more calories if I have to put it down anyway.

kaw
12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4kuJkMcpIvs/TRqXjDX82VI/AAAAAAAAAFU/grMPA5agIrI/s1600/scylla_toilet.jpg

'nuff said.

mandalinn82
12-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Any fellow math geeks will appreciate:

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/a-game-theoretic-approach-to-the-toilet-seat-problem/

shcirerf
12-28-2010, 11:43 PM
I want the seat down, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN!

It was the rule when I was a kid, at our house, at both my grandparents, and all our friends too. Leaving the seat up was almost a sin.:devil:

I hate going in the middle of the night and getting that freezing sploosh because someone left the lid up. Then you've got the wet, drippy behind to deal with after you get over the shock of the icy midnight dip.

Oboegal
12-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Mandalinn, that's a keeper! Thanks so much for the link!

GonnaTurnHeads
12-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Toilet seat is DOWN!!!

kaplods
12-29-2010, 04:50 AM
During the daylight hours I don't care, but after dark, especialy after bedtime, I want it down.

During a midnight potty visit, I may be too drowsy to check before sitting. Unfortunately, Hubby might forget to return the seat to the lowered position in the middle of the night, for the same reason.

Shopaholic1204
12-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Down, with the lid closed. The sink is right next to the toilet, and our toothbrushes are right there.

Nola Celeste
12-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Down and lid closed here, too. I watched that episode of Mythbusters that showed how much toilets spray when flushed--plus, leaving the lid up means the cats drink from there. I don't want them drinking from the toilet and then licking my face. Eww!

Sassy_Chick
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Down, with the lid closed. The sink is right next to the toilet, and our toothbrushes are right there.

I agree with you Francie!! :bravo:

Flamethrower
12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Does it matter? Does it take that much effort to glance at the seat and then flip it down if it's up?

MiZTaCCen
12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
My house it'll stay down, if I go to a guy's house I'll put it down and leave it down I'm not re touching the seat to put it back up he can do it himself. If I ever get married we'll have separet bathrooms simple as that. lol I have to have my own bathroom...

zoritsa
12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4kuJkMcpIvs/TRqXjDX82VI/AAAAAAAAAFU/grMPA5agIrI/s1600/scylla_toilet.jpg

'nuff said.

That's why ours is left down as well.

suetalks
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Seat down, lid down. I hate walking into a bathroom and seeing the lid up. Thank goodness my DH concurs.

MiZTaCCen
12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Down.

'nuff said.

My cat scruffles never drank out of the toliet but she loved to watch it flush...My moms cat before she went up to 17 pounds used to do the same thing. Then Scruffles would sit there, look up at me and go do it again! :carrot:

XLMuffnTop
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I prefer seat down and lid closed but will settle for only the seat down. My husband has always put the seat down even when he lived by himself.

Now that I have kids, I'm adamant because my son has gotten up at night and fallen in when he sat down. (It was his fault... he didn't put it down when he knows he's suppose to! :) ) No one wants to deal with a totally upset and wet three year old at 2 am.

shcirerf
12-30-2010, 01:08 AM
My cat scruffles never drank out of the toliet but she loved to watch it flush...My moms cat before she went up to 17 pounds used to do the same thing. Then Scruffles would sit there, look up at me and go do it again! :carrot:

The office cat at the vet hospital where I work, could care less about the plumbing, but loves to watch the fax machine spit out paper. When it quits, she sticks her head in it looking for more mystery paper! Too funny!

shcirerf
12-30-2010, 01:09 AM
One other thing about the seat and lid, if my kids come home and bring there big dogs, I like the lid down as well. They drink out of the toilet, while I don't mind that, I hate sitting on that cold slobber water in the middle of the night.

CanadianCutie
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Seat down, lid down. This goes back to when my cat was a kitten. My ex and I lived in an apartment, and our cat loved to drink out of the bathroom faucet in the sink, but she was just a little thing. She needed to jump up on the toilet to get on the sink. Because of this we always kept the lid down as well as the seat. Well, one day a friend was over. We had already reminded her once to put the lid down, so we didn't want to be nagging. About 20 minutes later we hear a splash and see a very scared and wet kitty make a run for the bedroom. Poor kitty was so scared, it took me a half an hour to calm her down.

caryesings
12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
My beau and I split our time between our two houses, so though we're not living together, it's pretty darn close and for the first time in my adult life I'm having to adjust to living with a man. We talked about this one and it doesn't bother me if he leaves it up, after all, couldn't it equally be my job to raise it when I'm done for his next use?

The funny one was he immediately discovered the fan in my bathroom didn't work and has since replaced it. I've lived here 7 years and had never turned it on. He found that astonishing as he needs fan on a regular basis!

MiZTaCCen
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Seat down, lid down. This goes back to when my cat was a kitten. My ex and I lived in an apartment, and our cat loved to drink out of the bathroom faucet in the sink, but she was just a little thing. She needed to jump up on the toilet to get on the sink. Because of this we always kept the lid down as well as the seat. Well, one day a friend was over. We had already reminded her once to put the lid down, so we didn't want to be nagging. About 20 minutes later we hear a splash and see a very scared and wet kitty make a run for the bedroom. Poor kitty was so scared, it took me a half an hour to calm her down.

LMFAO! I'm sorry but this made my day!

CanadianCutie
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
No need to apologize for laughing, I still laugh thinking back on that story.

joyc21
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Seat down, lid down. It drives me crazy when the lid is left up on the toilet.

meencanta22
01-01-2011, 09:07 PM
i like the seat left down but seeing as how my fiance likes to leave it up i have many a nights spent in the toilet yelling and cursing at him. i have an issue where i sleep walk and go to the backroom a lot at night nothing like being woken up in the middle of the night dripping wet with toilet water.

lizziep
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
man i'm lucky we don't have this war at all. hubby is a sitter. :)

lizziep
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
but- i do wonder why it needs to be up at all- i mean really the hole is still big enough to aim for, isn't it? why put up the seat?

kaplods
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
but- i do wonder why it needs to be up at all- i mean really the hole is still big enough to aim for, isn't it? why put up the seat?

Apparently aim is an issue for a lot of men (and women too, to judge from public toilet seats).

I'd much rather have to pull down a toilet seat than sit in someone else's pee - and it sickens me how many time I made the mistake of sitting before looking. I've never made the mistake in public restrooms, but in private homes, it happened often enough for me to get into the habit of always looking first. It's amazing how many times I've had to "wipe up" after someone else (I've even thought of carrying clorox wipes in my purse).

In a few bathrooms I've even seem people put up little poems that read:

If you sprinkle
when you tinkle
Be a sweetie
and wipe the seatie

lizziep
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
i grew up in a house where the boys seemed to get more in the floor than in the bowl. boys are gross. :(

kaplods
01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
i grew up in a house where the boys seemed to get more in the floor than in the bowl. boys are gross. :(

Some girls are too. I worked for a big coorporation in cubicle land, and one of the guys was a collector of gross company bathroom stories (this was a Fortune 500 company, with full-time janitors that cleaned every bathroom at least twice a day - and there were still plenty of gross stuff going on in the bathrooms).

I know it's vulgar, but he was always so funny, it inspired people (men and women) to share some of their own ugly bathroom stories, and it became very clear that there were nearly as many gross women's restroom stories as men's.

Heather
01-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Once I had a squirrel appear in my toilet!! :yikes: True story! It's a very good thing the lid was down, or it would have gotten into my apartment!! No one likes a wet scared squirrel running around in their apartment.

Despite that scare, I like the seat down, but don't need the lid down.

EZMONEY
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM

:D Very true kiddo but guys drip! No mater how much you shake it (no wise cracks please ;)) we always drip putting it back in :)

Picture watering your yard with a hose then shut the water off and see what the stream does...even with the lid up we can still drip on the rim or the floor...I usually sit at home...if I have the time...but if it's between plays in the game I am standing :D

Out of respect to my wife and daughters I, and my boys, always put the lid down AFTER we pee.

But honestly, no one here has ever complained...except when nephew misses BAD!! How in the heck he gets it where he does is beyond me...I swore I was going to watch if he didn't figure it out!

One time he pissed all over the floor...and he was sitting!...we figured he was shooting through the seat and the lid....

he's the Navy's problem now :D

EZMONEY
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh and once when we were kids we caught a wild rabbit...mom let us keep it just overnight...we put it in the bathroom....didn't close the toilet lid....

4 sad-sad kids the next morning....