Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1  
Zumba Freak :)

S/C/G: 267/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default New Year's party mentality - help :)

Hey everyone!
I'm fairly new here and love the atmosphere (just thought I'd throw that out there).

I'm going to 2 NY's parties this Friday and I'm so sure the food will range from "sure to don't even think about it" on my Can I eat this scale? The thing that gets me down during any party that has food out, is the fact that I am so limited to what I can eat; where as if I didn't care about dieting I'd take out the entire food table. So my question is -- what would you suggest I do when I see there is only one or two things that I can enjoy..
Should I start bringing my own food to such parties?

Thanks for reading
martha328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Can you eat before you go and then allow yourself a certain number of calories for the party to use on whatever you want? Or does your diet restrict certain foods altogether? If the latter, I would definitely just eat before you go and then only snack on things that are on plan.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I don't know if this will help you, but here is what I am doing...I am going to eat a smart, healthy dinner before I go out that way I am not starving once I get to the party we're going to. I am going to allow myself to snack on things, but I am going to really savor what I am eating and not grab plates and plates of all the food and shove it down just because it happens to be there.

It's extremely hard for me to not eat at parties (especially after a few drinks!), so I am going to *try* to snack on things only when I feel hungry...the worst feeling is being full and still chowing down! Good luck to you!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

what time are the parties? are they sit down dinners? if yes, then offer to bring something. If they are buffet or cocktail parties eat a meal of protein and grains before going, but leave some room in your budget for a snack or wine.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I always just put a reasonable amount of food on my plate and then that's it. No going back for seconds. It seems to work for me.

For example, I know we're having a rib roast, asparagus, and parmesan risotto at the party... as well as a much of appetizers and wine and desserts. I'll have some of the roast, asparagus and risotto, a glass or two of wine, and sample one small dessert. I'll skip the appetizers unless there's crudite. No seconds.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
Can you eat before you go and then allow yourself a certain number of calories for the party to use on whatever you want? Or does your diet restrict certain foods altogether? If the latter, I would definitely just eat before you go and then only snack on things that are on plan.
I'm following SB. I'm in Phase 2. I could eat before going and snack a tinsy bit. I didn't even think about eating before the party. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post

It's extremely hard for me to not eat at parties (especially after a few drinks!), so I am going to *try* to snack on things only when I feel hungry...the worst feeling is being full and still chowing down! Good luck to you!
You're right! It is SO hard to not eat at parties. But as you, Rachael, seagirl, suggested, I intend on eating a nice healthy meal before going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I always just put a reasonable amount of food on my plate and then that's it. No going back for seconds. It seems to work for me.
What is this reasonable amount of food you speak of? Where can i find it? do they sell it as some sort of measuring cup? lol It's funny because my husbands always tells me that I have no self-control. So I always say "What is this self control you speak of? And can I buy it in bulk?!"

I think it's great that all you can snack, and that will be something I intend on working on at this party and future parties.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

If you are going to drink, have a full glass of water in-between each alcoholic drink. This always works for me.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #8  

I do intend on drinking, but I'm afraid about drinking "too much". I like light beer and white wine. I'm no lush, but I do enjoy these drinks when socializing. Would 3 drinks be too much? Even if I applied water breaks in between?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #9  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I do best at parties when I eat beforehand and tell myself NO FOOD at all at the party. It saves me the trouble of analyzing the food present and having to choose the lesser evil when often none of the food fits my plan. Plus that way I don't spill food on my party clothes (because I spill ALL the time).
Re the drinks - can you be the DD? I always offer to drive so I can only have 1 drink max, or I would let people down.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha328 View Post
I do intend on drinking, but I'm afraid about drinking "too much". I like light beer and white wine. I'm no lush, but I do enjoy these drinks when socializing. Would 3 drinks be too much? Even if I applied water breaks in between?
If it's over the course of a night, and you aren't driving, I think 3 every once in a great while is fine. I probably would feel like crap in the a.m. and feel the need to eat bread to "soak up the alcohol" but you know yourself and your body.

Most of all, have fun!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Eating beforehand is a great idea. If you don't feel like it's been a party until you've sampled some food, just eat before you go and grab a few favorite tidbits. As for drinks, I really don't know how SB handles alcohol; I'm sure there are some SB experts who can help out with that, though.

By the way, I totally empathize with you about the awesome food and am convinced that we have it tough in New Orleans just because everything's so tasty.

(As an unrelated aside, I LOVE your "9" jersey and OMG, I think I lost five pounds just from pacing and fidgeting and yelling at my TV during that MNF game last night! Playoffs, baby--geaux Saints! )
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #12  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

One thing that I have done at parties that I know will have good treats is not to start tasting the treats - or even look at them - until the party is winding down and I am getting ready to go.

That makes it easier to have just a little taste. I find it more manageable to resist eating the treats when I haven't tasted them at all, then to resist taking more after I've had a little.

I did this at an office party recently and it worked great. I socialized, participated in the group celebration, and stayed away from the treats until the party was over and it was time to go back to my office. Then I looked over the table, chose one item to try (a small square of home-made fudge), and left the party, leaving the rest of the treat table behind me.

The very worst that happens is that something delicious gets finished before you have a chance to try it. And when you think about it, that's really not such a terrible result - it's not the last chance you'll ever have to eat something tasty.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post

(As an unrelated aside, I LOVE your "9" jersey and OMG, I think I lost five pounds just from pacing and fidgeting and yelling at my TV during that MNF game last night! Playoffs, baby--geaux Saints! )
It was a ridiculous, yet, amazing game. haha Who dat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
And when you think about it, that's really not such a terrible result - it's not the last chance you'll ever have to eat something tasty.
You know, I wish I had this mentality. I have this thought stuck in my head "if I don't eat it.. I never will have the chance to ever again" which I know is not true, but I can't break free from it.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha328 View Post
You know, I wish I had this mentality. I have this thought stuck in my head "if I don't eat it.. I never will have the chance to ever again" which I know is not true, but I can't break free from it.
Please try to work on attaining this mentality. Please don't say you "can't" break free from it, because you can - you just haven't yet.

I'm not trying to be a snot here, but this process requires changing your relationship with food. And some of that requires bringing your rational mind to bear over those strong, visceral impulses you have around food.

I don't like to pass up goodies either and it's taken a lot of work to get to where I can look at a plate of donuts and say "I've eaten donuts before, and I'll eat donuts again - I can say no to donuts today." But if I'd never worked at doing that - if I'd never squirmed through the uncomfortable process of telling myself "NO!" and heeding it, I'd never have gotten as far down the road as I have.

Do it for yourself - you have to work at being stronger than the inner 3-year-old who will throw a tantrum if she doesn't get a bite of those cookies. It's just a cookie. You can do it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

We're throwing a New Year's bash at our house this year so atleast I'm in control of what we're eating. Whew!

Since you're on SB (me too! though I just kiked myself back to p1 for a bit) decide on what tenent of the diet is most important to you. I always opt to forgo the craby treats, but loosen up a bit on the low fat part. So, keep an eye out for things that fit into whatever you decide on. I'm looking forward to veggies with dip (sadly, no crackers) maybe a little cheese and salami, stuffed mushrooms, meatballs, etc. There are definitely party friendlier foods, just make sure that you set a limit for yourself so you don't go overboard.

For drinks- do you really need 3? I also enjoy a good glass of wine or a nice beer (though I prefer dark brews, good because I can barely finish one!) but, after two glasses of wine or so, I start loosening up about food and almost always regret it. Plus, I've found that the water weight from drinking more than a glass makes me cranky. I most likely won't be drinking at all on New Years. If I do, I'll stick with one drink. (now to choose! the horror!)

But, part of the whoel weight loss process is choosing what events are worthy to stray off plan a bit. How many events do you want a couple drinks for in the course of a year? Once every three months? Six? Once a month? If this really is a very rare occasion for you- go for it. If not, decide if its really that important to you or not to have a drink or three on this occasion.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote