Alternachicks - Alternachat Nov 17 onwards

View Full Version : Alternachat Nov 17 onwards

mauvaisroux
11-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Evening everyone! :wave:

Just thought I would start a new thread for the week. The old one is archived.

Flower~Yay! :cb: Glad you got your house! It sounds great!

We went to see the movie "The Ring" today. It was so creepy! :yikes: It is one of the better horror/suspense films I have seen in a while.

We have the original film in Chinese which I think I will have to watch again sometime soon.

We are taking my parents to go see the new Harry Potter film this week:wizard: Can't wait to see it!

DH has gone to his friend's place to watch WWE Wrestling on pay per view so I have the house to myself :) So I am off to have a bath, a facial and a manicure/pedicure :D

Goodnight Chiquitas
:cool:

squeaker
11-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Just got back from seeing the Ring. Very freaky.:fr:

flower
11-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Glad for the warning, I am definately gonna go skip that one! I am a scaredy cat!

I walked the last two days just for fun. BF just got switched to day shift 7a to 3p instead of 3p to 11p. This is going to take some getting used to. I woke with an awful headache! The cat tried to get the bird all night. (WE are camping in my dad's living room). I tried to catch her and throw her in the shop for the night but she said no way. Grif woke every 2 hours and then as soon as I got bf off to work, my older boys fought! Hopefully Grif will go down for a nap soon and I have 5 hours till everyone gets home again.

I am still waiting on loan approval...but I am relatively sure I got it. I was approved for a different property. The unknown is unnerving though. It is going to be a long day. ~flower

ellis
11-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Flower, flower... you're freakin' me out! Did you get it? Huh, huh?
:grouphug:

OI812
11-19-2002, 08:49 AM
Good morning ladies,

I think I'm going to nap on the couch after dd goes off to school. And I didn't even go to bed late last night. But I need all the energy I can get this evening. It's my first day back to work since I got my wisdom teeth out.
My mouth is doing pretty good. I can now chew on my left side of my mouth but can't on the right side yet. And it feels like I have "canker" sores on the sides of my mouth near where the teeth were. That's what is bothering me the most.

Last night I made 4 dozen gingerbread cookies. The low fat kind of course! They are just little round cookies, not the gingerbread men cookies. And they turned out wonderful. Today I'm going to make low-fat/low-cal Banana Nut Muffins! Yummy!

Nothing on my agenda to day except baking the muffins and getting my nails done. Oh, and putting away the laundry that dd and I did last night.

Well I'm off to get some breakfast. I'll pop back in here late and see what you are all up too!

Have a great op day!
Kelly

flower
11-19-2002, 02:09 PM
I still don't know. But thats cause Mr Jim didn't put in the figures til late yesterday afternoon. He promised to call today. I just baked Light Pumpkin Spice cookies. I bake when I am stressed out. I smoked a salmon yesterday. (It is so yummy) I had better hear something soon or I will have to open my own coffeeshop.

I am going to Sacramento on Thursday. StepMom has a business meeting and she wants the company for the drive. So we will take the 2 year old and leave the rest. Sounds good to me. We will go to the mall before we head home and we will stop in Reno on Friday afternoon for a seafood buffet.

I am off to finish the cookies (they need to be iced)
and clean the kitchen. Then I have to go find a reciept in all my packed boxes so I can exchange something while I am in Sacramento. I had better remember where it is soon because I will have opened all of my million boxes looking for odds and ends. Got tape???

OI812
11-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Afternoon ladies,

Flower--I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the phone call this afternoon. Hope you have luck on finding that receipt. I'm bad for tossing my receipts and not keeping them incase I need them down the road.
I just finished making Banana Nut Muffins. The look yummy!

Well, I ended up dozing on the couch after dd went to school. Then I got up and showered and was going to go and get my nails done when I decided to see if I could get in and get my hair cut at my salon. They did have time so I got my hair cut and then went and got my nails done! I feel much better when my hair is cut. It's been about 2 months since I got it cut last and I have short hair, and when it starts to grow, it gets to long and I can't spike it and get it to stay up...lol

Where is everyone today?

We are having a dull and dreary day here today. And it's been raining all morning and afternoon. As long as it doesn't freeze I can live with it.

I'm off to get my dishes done and then settle down to watch Dr. Phil.

You ladies have a wonderful night and chat with you later.

Kelly

flower
11-19-2002, 11:59 PM
The phone didn't ring once today!!!! UGH!!!! My money isn't in my account either. I can not stand waiting any more! Cheesecake didn't make me feel any better either. I suppose I will just have to be anxious another day. Patience is not my best trait. ~flower

mauvaisroux
11-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey, when is Ruthxxx getting back? I found a shrimp toast recipe for her :lol: (I'm serious, I really do have that recipe for her)

Flower, I hope you get some good news today! :crossed:

ellis
11-20-2002, 10:42 AM
I think she's getting back any minute. Was it yesterday? I want the recipe, too! I've never had shrimp toast!

Lamorgan
11-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Hello.... I'm back. Again. :)

I'll slip in quietly and read back on months and months of messages....

Lois / Lamorgan

(sitting quietly at the back of the room for awhile...)

:)

ellis
11-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Lois darling, where have you been? Is everything alright? We've missed you!

Lamorgan
11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
All is well! Just got bulldozed from life... Diet (and cooking) shot out the window.

I'm quite loving being 40 though!

It's the balancing act that's hard. Realizing that the house is going to suffer. The garden not put to bed properly, wishing sometimes that we had bought that tiny house in toronto many years ago with the patio garden the size of my kitchen.

So I think I'm overwhelmed with all the hats I have to wear, and how partitioned my life has become.

I get a month off of school, and thanks to re-structuring :( , my work hours have been slashed, so life will slow down.

See ya soon!

L

flower
11-20-2002, 01:28 PM
LaMorgan-you just have to sigh and drop one of the balls every once in awhile. Life is a big game of juggleing. You can keep most of it in the air, but everyonce in awhile, something will have to fall down. Just try again, try again....

I have got to find something to occupy my mind today. Ughhhh!!! ~flower

ellis
11-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Lois, I hear ya, hon! I always wanted a big old house, and now that I've got it (plus kids, a husband, a garden, umpteen hobbies, renovation plans, etc ) I've realized ... I NEED SERVANTS!!!

I have some friends who I feel the need to impress, but the really good ones are those who just accept my currently disorganized life and love me for who I am.
I just brought in some of my pots from the garden today. They were buried in the snow. What's the worst that could happen? They could break! We can't afford to have a nervous breakdown trying to be Martha Stewart all the time. Let it go and enjoy life, sweetie. And enjoy being 40! I'm looking forward to it, too!
:grouphug:

mauvaisroux
11-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Yup! I totally agree. Anyhow, your friends come over to see you-not your house:)

I am planning to scale back on my holiday activities this year. I want to take some time out to relax and not get stressed out. I am learning to say "no, I'm sorry, I already have plans that weekend" even if my plans are just to stay home and snuggle in with DH, a blanket, hot chocolate and a movie:D

ellis
11-20-2002, 03:45 PM
You are a smart cookie, Mauvais. :yes:

I have popcorn stuck in my teeth.

Is it too much to ask that I be able to pick up my son at school in my sandals? No socks. I HATE boots!!

flower
11-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Irony-it took 3 days to find my reciept and it was were it was suppose to be. In the file cabinet in a file with gift reciepts. The label on the file folder fell off. I am slightly annoyed, but I found my holiday cards, some Xmas gifts, computer games and my jewelry. It wasn't a total waste of time.

Irony-I had finally had my step mom call my loan guy. I couldn't take it anymore. The underwriter still had the paperwork. He knew nothing. I called the escrow co since no money and found out the deal was closing today, not last Friday. So, tomorrow morning. But tomorrow morning I will be on the way to CA so no waiting for the phone to ring. I get to see my best friend from elementary/jr high. We are going to meet up at the mall Friday morning to go shopping. Just like old times.

I will have to hear the news second hand when I check in at home. Hopefully my dad will answer the phone. I will catch up w/ you on Saturday. ~flower

dentrassi
11-21-2002, 12:30 AM
HI ALL!

Welcome back Lamorgan!
Flower-Have fun!!
Ellis and Mauvais- I agree with both of you! It is better to relax and enjoy it as it happens. Too much tension in the world without making more.

Lamorgan
11-21-2002, 10:17 AM
I figure Martha hasn't done all that well with the wisdom thing, even though her house is perfect. :)

When I'm stressed, my nails grow. I think I get too busy to bite them, I don't know. So I am happy to report that last week I bit my nails,and I can tell my stress levels have diminished...

These large houses just have too many surfaces. Too many places to pile papers and stuff.

Lois.

Ruthxxx
11-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Back from the gorgeous Wet Coast! Travelling is tiring! I got in after midnight and slept until 10 this a.m. Lucy was glad to see me - it was a two pee welcome! Harry was glad too but no peeing!

Great visit with my DD - we just kind of hung out, drank coffee, talked about Christmas past, read to the 3 year old (who adores me!), helped Jessica (11) with her homework, farted around with houseplants ..... the kind of stuff we'd do together if we lived near each other! I didn't gain and didn't lose - just acted like a normal person - foodwise.

Between now and next Wednesday, I need to get my Christmas shopping done and mailed, my house cleaned, Country Christmas costumes found and ironed, a ton of baking for the bake sale on the 30th and finish a grant application! Oy! Once I have the wrist op, I'll be just hanging out so will be posting more. So don't worry if I'm not in here much. I definitely will snoop so don't talk about me!

Hugs to all

mauvaisroux
11-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Welcome back Ruthxxx! :)

Sojourner
11-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Haven't been around much lately... still trying to cope with all of the problems in my life. Good news is I'm down a couple of pounds since my appetite is shot. Anyway, I will be trying to catch up with everyone and get back into the swing of things here and in life.

:wave:

ellis
11-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Ruth, welcome back!!
What a great time you had... I'm so glad. :)
You mean your grandchildren actually LIKE you?! :D They must have had a riot with you, you hoot, you.

Okay everyone... let's talk about Ruth...

Lamorgan
11-21-2002, 02:31 PM
Ellis ~ I picked up my son today at school wearing sandels... but with socks. I think I'm the only alternative mom at the school. :)

We had early dismissal today ~ for the high school students too. That means I have huge teenagers upstairs... One of them brought a Play Station. They could be settling in for the winter.

I'm paring down the coming season this year too.

I will not get depressed this year!

ellis
11-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Sojo, welcome back to you, too! Congratulations on the two pounds!

Lois, glad to hear I'm not the only oddity here. :lol:
I'm with you on the "piles". I'm trying to get rid of one bag of stuff for the Sally Ann every day. The more space I have, the more I seem to fill it. sigh. I must de-junk...

Lamorgan
11-22-2002, 10:05 AM
I feel absolutely guilty about how much paper recycling this family generates. 3 kids that draw a lot and so much stuff comes home from school.

Paper everywhere.

So much stuff.

Go figure.

Lois

mauvaisroux
11-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Morning everyone!

I went to my gallery glass class last night and had a lot of fun. We made an angel mobile that looks like stained glass. I think I will give it to my Mum as part of her Christmas.

It is raining and very foggy here. I can't even see the other buildings that are two blocks away.
Wish I were home in bed! :cloud9:

ellis
11-22-2002, 10:20 AM
I know.... kids that draw. And gosh forbid that you get rid of a SINGLE ONE of their drawings!

And puzzles and games and dollhouses on the go. Thousands of books, computer games, movies, clothes coming out of our ears. Three junk drawers, piles of magazines, clippings from magazines for decorating, cooking, crafts, exercise. A craft room filled with everything imaginable, but not too many crafts coming out of it. A drum set, two guitars, old computers waiting to be healed. Hundreds of flower pots and boxes and grow lights in the basement with nothing growing under them. Twenty cans of paint waiting for a project, dozens of picture frames waiting to be filled and hung.
A dead dryer and a dead freezer. Coats and shoes... enough for 4 familes. A suitcase full of packets of seeds and seed catalogues, baskets, collectables, precious possessions...

Sometimes I think that if the house burned down, there's not too much that I'd actually miss.

ellis
11-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Hey, I'm glad you had fun at your glass class, girl!
Yes, I was just thinking.... it's a sleeping day, but I must get to the gym.
xoxo

Lamorgan
11-22-2002, 11:00 AM
And then one child will suddenly need one important piece of paper, and you have to turn the house inside-out to find it (even though you suspect you threw it out)...

Wanttolosealot
11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
I have a house filled with junk,er, I mean "treasures" too. The amount of things one family collects in 12 years is unbeleivable. I wish I could bring someone into my house and just say okay, get rid of this and this and this. But I am a pack-rat.
I am a little sore today. Upper body workout this morning! Feels gooooood.
Virginia

dentrassi
11-22-2002, 01:19 PM
...and the ONE thing you throw out you end up needing!!!

ellis
11-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeah, like the property assessment. :D
I actually have a file cabinet. It's one of those MASSIVE four-drawer horizontal files. About 6 ft tall and 4 ft wide. It's jammed with gawd only knows what. I just want to blow the damned thing up and start afresh.

Ruthxxx
11-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Junk! We are loaded with it! DH has Gourmet magazines from back when I was a virgin. He will keep a whole mag for one recipe! I also have fabric stashed away from 1974 but that's different. :D And then there is the loft in the barn! I pity my poor kids when I croak.

Slept and schlepped yesterday but am with it today. Mount Laundry is shrinking and some of the dog fur is in the vacuum. DH taught Lucy that the couch she ate ($1200 to recover) is a great sleeping place! Oh well, I'd rather have dogs than a perfect house.

Am getting back in the groove today. Really pissy weather, however. At least it's not snowing - YET!

mauvaisroux
11-22-2002, 03:51 PM
when I had my guests over last Friday one of the ladies said she could spend hours just looking at all the stuff I had in my apartment....

Umm...Thanks, I think.....:lol: oh well, it looks great just don't anyone open a closet ;) or the oven :o

Ruthxxx
11-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Back in the olden days, I used to put stuff to soak in the oven. My Mother opened it once when there was a 5 day old meatloaf pan in there! Eeeeewwwwwww! I wonder if that's why she thought I was a lousy housekeeper.
Now I just give stuff like that to the dogs to clean up AND I WASH AND JAVEX AFTERWARDS!!!

ellis
11-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Oh my gosh, that's what I do, too. The former, I mean. :D

Ruthxxx
11-22-2002, 05:07 PM
I told you we were related, Ellis! I'm even thinking of sending you my little prissy tea napkins with the S embroidery!

ellis
11-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Scary, Ruth. Am I going to find you if I start digging about in my family tree? :D

flower
11-22-2002, 11:53 PM
I can so relate to the miles of stuff we can acumulate!

I am back. I sprained my ankle at the park at the University of Ca @ Davis. Ouch. I was chasing after my 2 yr old to catch him before he got to the street and my ankle gave away. It is so sore and so bruised. With the help of a stroller I was able to go to the mall today. I have blisters on my hands from holding the handles so tight.

My house problems...the house finally closed today, no $ till Monday. House apprasial needs to be done by the 25th. So we will do it before final loan writing. I have preapproval, just not final paperwork. The underwriter was writing it all out. I assume it is all okay since they didn't say no and send it all back.

I am so stressing! Well, off to put my foot up before it swells. ~flower

dentrassi
11-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Mauvais-Sounds like you do what we do. We have so many unusual things (Like a gargoyle on top of our china cabinet picking its teeth!) that people focus on that it takes thier minds off of the piles of mail etc.!!!

Wanttolosealot
11-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Boy it sure is quiet in here today. Was everyone out partying last night and you are still all sleeping? Or have Alliens from another planet captured you and took you home with them? If they bring you back, drop me a line and let me know what life is like there!
Virginia

ellis
11-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Well hello, darling. I see we're on the new server!

I did something very clever today. Instead of eating my lunch and then falling into a stupor for about 2 hours, I took a nap BEFORE I had my lunch! Now I'm fully awake and able (I hope) to burn off my lunch.

ellis
11-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Virginia, just saw your pic! You're a babe!

Wanttolosealot
11-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks Ellis!
Big smooch to you hun!
Virginia

flower
11-25-2002, 09:04 PM
I got the loan. I also got my money, so my old house is so not mine any more! Yipee horray!!!! It's been a long 2 weeks!!!! ~flower

ellis
11-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Flower! Congratulations, girl! I'm so happy for you!
:cb: :dance:

mauvaisroux
11-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Yay Flower! :flow1: When do you move into the new place?

mauvaisroux
11-25-2002, 10:30 PM
SHRIMP TOAST! :lol:

Yes Ruthxxx, now you can satisfy that craving for shrimp toast you have had for months ;)

1/2 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbs chopped green onions
2 tbs finely chopped water chestnuts
2 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp oriental sesame oil
1 egg white slightly beaten
6 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
Red and yellow peppers and green onions for garnish

Finely chop shrimp. If using a food processor, process with on/of pulses about 10 times or until shrimp are finely chopped.

Combine shrimp, onion, water chestnuts, soy sauce and sesame oil in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in egg white; mix well*

Toast bread lightly on both sides. Cut toast diagonally into quarters. Spread shrimp mixture evenly over toast to edges.

Place toast on foil--lined baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil 6 inches from heat, 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with peppers and green onions.

*The filling may be made ahead to this point; cover and refrigerate filling up to 24 hours. Proceed as directed for toasting and broiling.

Makes 2 dozen appetizers (or one big midnight snack :ink: )

Nutrients per(1 appetizer):

Calories 30 Fat 1 gram
Cholesterol 18 mg Sodium 102 mg

dentrassi
11-26-2002, 12:21 AM
YUM!!!! NO WAY I COULD STOP AT ONE!!!!

Wanttolosealot
11-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Yeah Flower!:jig: :bravo: :cp:
Thats great news sweetie! I know just how nerve wracking it can be. We finally sold our first house in April of this past year, and it seemed like forever. We moved into our current house almost three years ago, so we had a bit of a wait.
Virginia

ellis
11-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Oh yummy, Mauvais! Thank you (move over, Ruth ;) ).

Yes, selling a house is a misery. Even though we sold our first house over 4 years ago (and it's actually been torn down by the guy who bought it), I still occasionally have this terrible dream that we've moved back there. And in the dream all I can think of is, "my god... we'll NEVER get out here!!".
I love this house so much. I am NEVER moving again! :)

Ruthxxx
11-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Wow! Shrimp toast. Thanks, Mauvais. I've never seen a baked recipe. I will probably make them for my Christmas Eve open house. The locals won't eat stuff that's too fancy so more for me! (Once I was asked to make a macaroni salad and did a super creation with spirals and tuna and coriander and black olives. it was completely intact at the end of the pot-luck! I guess I just didn't make it in Country Cookin' 101. )

I have not heard from the hospital re tomorropw's operation but will call the surgeon's office at 9 when they open.

Now can someone tell me why I have to take off all my clothes for a simple wrist operation? That means I have to shave my legs and pits and it's winter! Usually I just let it grow and corn row it when it gets long. I put little beads on the legs but not the pits because too many beads mean I can't put my arms at my side and my "space" is too big.

See you chickies later.

ellis
11-26-2002, 09:42 AM
:lol: Are you serious, Ruth? You're actually going to bother shaving? Listen, it's fashionable to have hair in your armpits now.
Good luck tomorrow, sweetie... we'll be thinking about you!
xoxo

flower
11-26-2002, 12:59 PM
There are tenants in the house now. I think they are suppose to be out before DEc 30th. But I am not holding my breath. I suppose if they are out by Jan 1st I will be okay. But I would love to spend New Years eve in there. But I am just happy knowing everything may just turn out okay after all. I kinda feel bad making move during the holidays. Maybe they will find something sooner and I can get it sooner. But no hopes up...I hate the disappointment. :)

I found a cute plaid fringed floor lenght skirt at Ross Dress for Less yesterday for 8.99. What a bargain. I got a pair of jeans for 9.99 too. Yippee. It is cold here today. I woke up and it was 9 degrees out at 7 am. That is just plain cold for NV. It won't make it to 40 today. Not a cloud is sight. Blue skies for hundreds of miles. ~flower

flower
11-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Ruth-I think they just like seeing women in those paper gowns! Dumb doctors! I think it is actually the sterille thingy. We may have cat hair on us or something. (or doggy hair). :)

dentrassi
11-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Flower-CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HOUSE!!!!!

Ellis-I'm with you, I don't shave.

Ruth-CORNROW IT!?! I Love it!! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

mauvaisroux
11-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Eww, Ick :p I can't stand not shaving and even do it in the winter!

We have cut back on our Christmas list this year too. We have decide to just buy for immediate family and our God children. We are still going to have our open house though and share a meal and some goodies with our friends. Why isn't there a Santa Smiley???? :lol:

Wanttolosealot
11-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Me too Mauvaisroux
I shave everything with hair except my head!
Virginia

ellis
11-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Well, THAT'S not very alternative!!! :lol:

Wanttolosealot
11-27-2002, 03:43 PM
LOL, no I suppose you are right Ellis. Just cant stand the prickly hairs.
Virginia

ellis
11-27-2002, 03:51 PM
HUH! Well, I may not be BI-SEXUAL!, but at least I'm HAIRY. :D

dentrassi
11-27-2002, 10:57 PM
I gave myself a crew cut once.....now my MIL says that "I'm not allowed to do that anymore." It was SO comfortable! I loved it!! But it looked REALLY bad on my big round head!!!

Sojourner
11-28-2002, 01:56 AM
I shave every single day of my freakin' life... can't stand it if I don't.

I also had a genuine flat top at one time in college with a little curl of a bang... very cool.

soozie
11-28-2002, 03:32 AM
Oh Girls! I haven't been in this thread for awhile and what I've been missing! Ruth...you are a scream! You're killing me with the descriptions...mt. laundry, I love it! And your cornrowing your pits and the beads...you go girl! You are the true Alternachick.

I can't believe you everyday shavers...I'm way too lazy and/or running late to add daily shaving into my routine. I do the, " I shaved so I can wear dresses to work for awhile" and then " oh, shoot, have to find a decent pair of pants to wear to work or a really long skirt and darkish knee highs cause...speaking of crop circles, the crop is comin back in!" I keep letting it go until I finally have the extra time to hoe it, rake it, and mow it down.

In my twenties I went through the, I'm a cool, alternative,hip, groovy, feminist, lesbian stage...you know, birkenstocks,or hiking boots,jeans,and long pit and leg hair! Then I realized, I like smooth shaved pits and legs, so, screw politics...I'm shaving!

And Den honey...when you said you gave yourself a crew cut, um, I thought that you meant " down there", if you know what I mean. I give that a trim periodically but I'm not into making it look like a caterpiller...you know, these models all shave it into a little strip so they can wear thongs and stuff and no hair shows...the crotch was meant to have a triangle of fur...not a stripe.
okay, enough,
Love, Soozie

Wanttolosealot
11-28-2002, 08:09 AM
What will we think of next! We have such a diverse set of topics to discuss. LOL! How can I not smile reading these? Crop circles to crotch circles. Hahaha
Virginia

ellis
11-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Oh, blah. This is all getting too icky for sensitive, delicate little me. :D

soozie
11-28-2002, 11:22 AM
(read this as Scarlett O'Hara would)
Oh my Miss Ellis,
I'm so certain that you are too too delicate to be exposed to such things! Those lady folk are not a bit refined. Nothing like little ole you and me!
We best not be reading nasty things like that. It wouldn't be good for us.
It might give you a case of the vapors. Now just have a cool little ice tea and sit down and rest sugar-pie. And stay away from that awful awful Soozie. She is NOT a lady. Those Northerners are so crass. And I know you come from good British breeding my dear.

Fond Regards,
Scarlett

soozie
11-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Ellis?
Hope you appreciate my sense of humor today.
Love you chickie!
Soozie

ellis
11-28-2002, 12:52 PM
snicker. I appreciate it, dah'ling.

ellis
11-28-2002, 03:17 PM
By the way, ol' Ruthie had her surgery yesterday. Ruth? How the **** are you? I know you're out there sculking around. :D
How's the wrist, sweetie? Surely to goodness you can type with one hand and your nose?
I woke up in the night and said a prayer that you were having a good sleep. Tell me it worked, because I sure as **** had a lousy sleep myself!

Ruthxxx
11-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Well, I had a pretty good night (drugs) BUT Hershey had a pretty busy one! She had her puppies!

What a good dog - she had 5 males and four females, all healthy and a good size. She just kind of popped them out, cleaned them up and lay back contented! Since both she and her "hubby" are Yankees, it was most appropriate for American Thanksgiving Day!

I've been puttering around and taking it easy today. Harry is on kitchen duty - Lord knows what we will have for dinner!

ellis
11-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Skulking. Can't spell worth beans anymore.

Congratulations, Hershey! :dance: And grandma Ruthie!!

Geez, nine babies. Makes me kind of queasy. :D

I think I've said this a billion times already, but make sure you take pictures. I can't think of anything cuter than nine little Hersheys. Hershies? Speaking of which, do they look like chocolate covered raisins? Those are my favorite.

dentrassi
11-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Soozie-never shaved my crotch. Can't shave my pits. My delicate and sensitive little ole underarms can not take the rough scraping.......(AND when it grows back I get itchy and get ingrown hairs. CAN'T DEAL WITH IT!!!) Legs...Why bother when I just wear jeans and Birkenstocks all the time!!! (Seriously, once or twice a year I figure what the heck and shave my legs before I put shorts on.)

dentrassi
11-28-2002, 08:10 PM
OOPS!! Submitted too soon!!!

Ruth-Hope the wrist is healing nicely. Don't push yourself like last time. We want you back in ONE piece!! CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your 9 grandbabies!!!!!

Ellis-I certainly do HOPE that we have not damaged your delicate sensibilities with our brutish discussion........

soozie
11-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Ruth...congrats on the puppies! How wonderful. Is Harry a dog person too? Was anyone else there to help since you had your surgery? How nice of Hershey to give you a nice mix of boys and girls!

Hope your wrist is feeling okay.
Talk to you girls soon
Love,Soozie

Wanttolosealot
11-29-2002, 08:18 AM
Yeah Hershey! What a good girl, 9 little babies! I bet they are so cute Ruth. I love puppies, and there wet little noses. Congratulations Ruth! Hope your wrist is not giving you too much trouble. Before long you will be cuddling those cute little puppies!
Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving! I sure did not enjoy my Happy Thursday. I had the flu yesterday, blah! I hate being sick! Feeling much better today bit still not 100%.
Virginia

mauvaisroux
11-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Congratulations on becoming a doggie Grandma Ruthxxx! :hat:

Holy snowstorm Batman! I can't even see out of my office window. Well I guess this will put everyone in the Holiday spirit (as in wish I were on holiday and home in bed! :lol: )

barefootgrrrl
11-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Yes Ruth! Congrats! Babies of any kind are wonderful!

Shaving.........hmmm........

Last year I found one growing out of my chin! I was horrified! I've been going to an electrolysist (sp?) and it seems to be gone permanently! eek!

I just really wish they could come up with a miracle shaving cream........you know what I mean - one that you put on and the hairs don't come back for at least a year?

Pits I can deal with - legs are a pain....but the crotch? how do those models deal with the itching that comes with the all around bikini wax? I never could stand that kind of itching! drove me nuts!

All I do is trim and use conditioner........hubby jokes that afterwards I should put a pink bow on it like they do at the animal groomer! :lol:

Ms. Cornrows (made me laugh hysterically!) oughta like that one !

Terri :)

Lamorgan
11-29-2002, 12:17 PM
Oh what a treat to read this thread! I'm a hairy person, always cursed it, and I'm good friends with my razor. I like to be smooth. But don't have a lot of time to shave. Oh well.

Mom in law is here... It's been days and days. I'm realizing how much of a private person I am, and cannot talk about the weather any more.

I itch all day until John comes home and then I chug down 3 sherries while I make supper.

It helps.

We have the temperature up 4 degrees and she's still complaining about how frigging cold she is.
I think she goes on Sunday..... We had to look for times for the mass at the local rc church. I'm not going! I'll sip Sherry.

:(

L

soozie
11-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Lamorgan...my heart goes out to you. I adore my Dad but we always fight about the heat. His house is so warm I can't even breathe. And when he is here he tells me my house is freezing cold. I keep my thermostat on 66 or 67 and I know that sounds cold but my house feels cozy and snug at that temperature. He cranks it up to 70 and still complains. I tell him to wear his long johns when he visits and an extra sweater and I wear shorts and tshirts to his house in the winter :lol:

Last night at Thanksgiving my mother in law...DP's mom...kept saying how I wasn't eating. I ate more than I've eaten at one meal in two months. She said, I know that you're trying but you don't have to starve yourself. It was definitely meant as a compliment and I felt really good. She said she could see in my face that I had lost weight. I felt so much better in my clothes. I actually thought that I looked cute!

Anyway, MIL said to me in the kitchen with a fake pout on her face, I don't like you anymore because you didn't eat enough of my food, and then said, in a serious voice, but, I'm proud of you, I know its hard and its good that you're doing it for your health and to be around for DD.

That felt so nice. Oh, I'm off on a ramble and have a bunch of things to do before the Chanukah party tomorrow.
love, Soozie
ps La...give her a sweater and a hot cup of tea...
pour the tea on her head and stuff the sweater in her mouth..
uh oh, just kidding, hope the anti-mother-in-law-defamation-league doesn't come after me!

Wanttolosealot
11-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Soozie,
You are more than cute, you are beautiful girl. Your MIL sounds like a real sweetie. It feels wonderful when someone notices your weight loss and how hard you are trying.
I just got back from the gym and one of the instructors there, (I only know her from the gym) came over to me and said "wow, you are doing so good, you really look great, you have lost a lot of weight". Well, that made me beam. It feels great to be complimented on something we work so hard at.
Hugs to you, and keep up the good work!
Happy Chanukah !
Virginia

dentrassi
11-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Having an Italian mother in law is tough. Mine is too. I KNOW she wants me to lose weight (she's skinny), but at holidays she is always telling me "You can't diet NOW, it is....(Fill in holiday!)" I love her a LOT too, but the whole food thing is tough with her. When she gets "upset" because i have only eaten one of her meatballs for example..........mind you she makes 1/4 pounders. And fries them in garlic and olive oil before they even go in the sauce!!! She says, "I know you are trying to diet. So don't eat more than two or three." I may eat a lot, but even I can't handle THAT!!! But she does, and stays thin. Like DH who finished the trifle last night!!! (oog...)

OH!! Fun at their house is eating a Thanksgiving meal and then weighing yourself to see how much you have GAINED!!! I think that is just SICK!!! One of the reasons i don't mind doing it here. I hide the scale!!!!

soozie
11-29-2002, 10:28 PM
My mother in law can be wonderful and sweet and BRUTAL! She was heavy but lost alot of weight in the past five years just from being anxious and from having digestive problems. But, now she is an expert on weight loss...even though she was heavy for so many years and only lost weight because of health issues...gotta love that :lol:

Its not just her that pushes the food...my DP has two Aunts that never married. They're quite elderly now and not so active but when I first met DP the first time I went to her parents house it was like I was surrounded by her mom and these two aunts who all came at me, whisked me into a kitchen chair, pushed me up to the table and started plopping ladle-fuls of food on my plate! "oh, look at her, she eats like a bird" they always said...I was over seventy pounds lighter then than I was at my high point!

They were so funny!
Love,SooZie

mauvaisroux
11-29-2002, 11:34 PM
Barefootgrrrl~thanks for the link to the shoe store! I went to the site and laughed my butt off when I clicked on to "shoe of the month"...I have almost the identical giant Mary Jane shoe they featured :lol: except the sole isn't as thick looking.

Just call me Immelda ;)

dentrassi
11-30-2002, 01:35 PM
YUP!! I keep on saying if I manage to lose the weight I am NOT going to do that. People don't understand that different strategies work for different people. Health worries are the BEST motivator. I was losing weight FINE last ewinter because of my weight related menstrual difficulties. Then my skinny sister started having the same problems, and I couldn't stick to it any more.
I NEED TO GET MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!!!

Mauvais-Still like shoes, but now I just look!! I basically just wear tennies and birkenstocks!!!

christinagw@aol.com
11-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Hello Ladies, It has been quite awhile since I have been here I didn't realize how long till I posted on one of Sooz's other posts & realized I was 146 or something like that..I forgot already. Anway, I managed to get down to 136 & did come back up to 138ish, although haven't weighed in a week...So anyway to all of you I had been doing just fine & still losing! LOL!

It is nice to come back & see some new faces as well as some old friends!

My life had been quite chaotic while I was gone...to say the very least! Hmm where to start. Ok Breast cancer diagnosis. Had 1 tumor out, then discovered another & that as well has been removed. Then about that time, my Father sunk into a deep depresion & turned to the bottle & nearly drank himself into a coma. So my step-mother & I did a lovely (stated with sarcasim) intervention & had him committed against his own will. The same night that we are doing that & I am at the hospital with an angry drunk telling me to let him just die, my Father in Law suffers a severe heart attack while my kids are there & see him get pounded with CPR trying to bring him back, so between running to hospitals, & Dr offices & family counseling, and it being my busiest time at work, I develope a mutated staff infection at my second removal site. Oh yeah & that darling puppy that I wanted despertly chews & destroys everything in site, including my children. I am the only one that likes the poor thing!

OK now for the good news! My infection is healing..finally...after 4 different medications, & packing & daily Dr visits. My Dad is back home & while there are still rough moments, he is my Dad again. My husbands father is not as good. Still having problems & also discovered 2 spots on his lungs, but we take that 1 day at a time. The darn dog still chews! LOL, but is still so cute that when I feel the nervous breakdown coming I cuddle up with her knowing she will lick the tears away!

I have been cleared to start vigorous exercise again, so decided to come back here for the motivation to keep at that, as well as work on those last 10-15 pounds that seem to be 10 times harder than the first 50!

ellis
12-01-2002, 05:18 AM
Good grief, Chris!! You've been through **** and back!! I'm so sorry, hon. And glad that you're doing okay now. I'll say prayers for you and your dad and father-in-law. Hugs... :grouphug:

Wildfire
12-01-2002, 08:24 AM
First of all, welcome back, Christina! Holy crow, you've been through it all recently, haven't you? :grouphug: Glad your infection is healing, your father is doing better, and sending good vibes for your father-in-law. :goodvibes The puppy is going to chew no matter what, that's what puppies do, so spend as much time cuddling her as you can. She'll be grown before you know it. I hope your life calms down a bit and you can enjoy the holidays.

Link? Shoe store? Where? I missed that. Probably a good thing, though....

Lamorgan, sorry to hear of your MIL woes. Hope they get better.

Ruth, congrats on the babies! Little furfaces...so adorable...I'm not allowed to enter any pet stores (as decreed by hubby) because I want to take all the animals home. They look sad, lonely, cages aren't clean enough, don't have fresh filtered water from a circulating pump like my cats do.....you know....I'm just a little insane when it comes to animals.

I can honestly say I don't have a problem with my MIL. She's a sweet lady. And she lives in a different country. :D

christinagw@aol.com
12-01-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes! There were times when I just wanted to close the bedroom door climb into bed for the day & hide, but with so much going on, there was no time for a nervous breakdown. I think with it all happening at once I didn't have time to totaly dwell on 1 thing & just had to keep going.

Well I just got on the scale YIKES! :ink: Higher than I expected, so now I have to go find the thread to post my weight to keep motivated!

Hmm, how can I get my MIL to move to another country? :s: Perhaps I wouldn't want to choke the life right out of her then!

barefootgrrrl
12-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Chris.............We have been wondering and worrying about you!

So glad to hear from you. You need a break my dear....... Calgon, take me away! ( hmm.....am I the only one here old enough to remember that slogan?):lol:

Well, anyway, I hope you can get away for some R&R whatever form it takes! :)

Take care grrlfriend, so glad you let us know how you're doing!

Sending you Peace, Love, Warm Fuzzies and Good Health
Terri

ellis
12-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Ha! I remember Calgon!

Terri is right... make sure you're looking after yourself, Chris. Sometimes the nervous breakdown comes AFTER you've been a survivor (words of experience).

flower
12-01-2002, 01:04 PM
Christina- big ((((hugs)))) to you. Maybe all the commotion was the universe just keeping you busy so you wouldn't fall apart. One or two of the events could have turned anyone into silly puddy. We are proud of you!!!! Now, you can't go hide after you have dealt with all that. I too know that the worst is after the storm.

The other night Grif woke up screaming and coughing and he was only happy if he was laying on top of me. Well, 29 pounds ontop of your chest is a lot in this higher altitute. I felt such a relief when he was back asleep and I could lay him back down on the love seat. That made me think how much better I would feel if I lost 29 pounds. I would feel such a relief. And if I lost 58, I might be able to touch the clouds. I wish I could bottle up that feeling and put it in a vial and any time I felt like I was loosing control over the sugar moster I could take a sniff and all would be better. Last night I absent mindingly stuff my hand into the vinegar and salt potato chips. I thought, why I am I eatting??? I put them back and washed the flavor off my hands. I then got ready for bed. That isn't always so easy to do. Today should be easier, I have planned and shopped for the dinners here until the 9th of Dec. I only spent 60 at the store too. We had a lot of the ingredients already but lately we spend 250 a week. True there are 7 of us, and name brands, no coupons and snack foods rule the roost. But look where that has gotton me.

ellis
12-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Flower, poor little Grif. :( But what a great analogy! Maybe I should try going to bed with a 20 pound bag of potatoes on my chest. :D
I think we should have some sort of brain surgery. Something that triggers a dreadful smell when we see good food.

Lamorgan
12-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Survived the visit, mom in law left on Sat afternoon, I think she's just as sick of me. :)

Chris, wow, what a trial you've had. Isn't life like a sadistic sit-com sometimes???

Off to donate blood. They'll probably reject me. If my count is under 120 they won't take it and I'm always borderline. Just finished menses last week, so I'm geared for rejection.

We have snow this morning! Lots. Well, lots for early Dec. 4 inches I think.

I need to grocery shop to get some good food in the cupboards. Ran out of my bran bread last week and the vegetable situation is not good.

Bye for now...

Lois

katrinabgood
12-02-2002, 03:05 PM
Mine lives on a different coast...3000 miles away...ahhhh! :D Got to love that! Except for the years that they would come out here to visit...FOR A MONTH AT A TIME!!! :faint: Good Lord, how did I survive? Heck, how did they survive?

Punkinseed
12-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Hello everyone!

Ellis planted a bug in my head to get back over here. Work's been busy, but I'm finally getting some office help (aka my Mom with her butt stapled to the chair).

In a nutshell with me - busy. Mom's having her needle biopsy today - actually as I speak. I have a Dr.'s appt. today because she thinks I have high blood pressure when all weekend it's tested normal (I can think of another way of spending $65, I have no insurance, but I'll still go to show her I'm taking my health seriously). Aaaaand, what else.... Oh, yea. Joined Curves in October and have gone faithfully 3x a week since then. :cb:

Chris!!!! It's SO good to see you and I send you my good thoughts and a long distance shoulder to lean on. *What* a time you've had! Just crazy... I agree with everyone, take care of you so you can better take care of everything else!

Ruth - Congrats on the babies! Pictures! We need pictures!

Katrina, Lamorgan, Terrrri, Soozie, Flower, Wildfire, Dent, Mauvais.... missed you all!
I should be getting my computer back from my friend soon (she's a tech and is upgrading everything for me) and will be able to be online during the weekend and better able to keep up!

Hugs n' stuff,

Terri

ellis
12-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Terri!!! You ARE busy! Hey, I hope your mom is alright. I'll say a prayer for her. hugs...

Punkinseed
12-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Thanks Ellis - she actually just called. She sounds good, she was in for 2 hours and had her mamatome done (a fancy biopsy done with a hollow needle, they insert a scoop inside the needle and take out the "spot" that way). She's off to have some food now and then home.
Now's the dreaded wait.... my surrogate Grandma (adopted our family after my Grandma passed) is a lab technician and diagnostician - last time she got the results from a coworker and called us 3 days before the Dr. did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll see the lab work early again!

Thanks a bunch for thinking of her/us!

Terri

Lamorgan
12-02-2002, 08:51 PM
The waiting has to be the worst. Thoughts are with you...

I gave blood, shoveled snow, made supper, now I'm ready to veg. So tired.

Yoga tomorrow!

'night all...

Lois

dentrassi
12-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Terri-I'm sending good thoughts your (and your mother's) way. Hope the biopsy comes back negative. Worrying about your Mom is probably second only to worrying about your kids. And the others are right; waiting IS the worst part. ALSO...GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK POSTING!!!!

Lamorgan-I used to donate blood too, but 3 of the last 4 times I have ended up with MASSIVE bruising, so I am avoiding it now!!! Anyway, i am the universal parasite, so they don't want mine as often as they want DH's!!!

Ellis-I already have TWO twenty pound sacks of potatoes on my chest!! I think I'd rather LESSEN them than add to them!!!

Flower-Hope Grif is feeling better!!

Punkinseed
12-03-2002, 11:46 AM
'ola dahlings!

Mumz doing fine this morning... crabby, but fine :dz:

I have white coat hypertension. I'm SO happy!!!! My Dr. checked my monitor against theirs and they're pretty much dead on. When I got there yesterday my BP was 175/89 (!). Over the last 4 days I've been monitoring myself and my BP's been between 118/75 to 126/85. I told my Dr. "this place is making me sick!". She laughed and said she was thrilled that it was just WCH and not needing medication (yea, me too!).

Gonna be a slug today after work. We have freezing fog... I drove home from Curves in it last night and don't really want to do that again.

Ta', hugs n' noogies,

Terri

Punkinseed
12-03-2002, 07:02 PM
:cb:Mom's healthy!!!:cb:

Her test came back negative... wahoo.

Resuming normal life,

Terri

ellis
12-03-2002, 07:26 PM
Terri, thank God (and whoever else had a hand in it)!! I'm so glad to hear the news.

mauvaisroux
12-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Teri~that is great news for both you and your mom:dancer:

Whoops! It looks like flower started a new alternachat thread.

I will close this one and you can all post on Alternachat Dec 3.