Atkins - LOVE MYSELF Valentines Day Challenge?

sandyfanny
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
:val1: Who's up for a LOVE MYSELF Valentine's Day Challenge? I'm thinking weigh in and post January 1st or 2nd (or anytime during the first week of January) and challenge ourselves to lose 14 pounds by Valentines Day, February 14.

It's six weeks, and about two pounds a week will get us there...interested? suggestions? ideas? :)

Bunti
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I will do this. Sounds like the jump re-start I need!!

Aubrey87
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
i'll join as well! great idea!

sandyfanny
12-28-2010, 02:28 PM
:val1:

Great! Let's weigh in on Saturdays if possible; it's the only day I have access to my dr.'s scale in the morning. Weighing once at week at his office has become a little ritual for me.

Linsy
12-28-2010, 06:35 PM
You already know I'm in Sandy! One step closer to onederland! January 1st is the perfect first official weigh-in day, because it's the beginning of the new year and a Saturday. Let's start then and then weigh every Saturday after.

sandyfanny
12-28-2010, 06:51 PM
We're in it to win it, Linsy. January 1 is perfect for us! I can't wait to lose another 15 pounds. There's lots of stuff in my own closet I love that I know I can wear then. Yay, LOVE MYSELF Atkins Chicks!

sandyfanny
12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome, Bunti and Aubrey! Linsy and I made the 30 Pounds by Christmas Challenge together...and we're glad to have you as challenge buddies. Think what sweethearts we'll be!

As part of the challenge, I'm going to do something really nice for myself that doesn't involve food in any way at least once a week. It might be a manicure (I love to have my nails done, but always feel a little guilty about the money) or a new lipstick or taking a walk by the water with my girl, a six-year-old German Shepherd, going to the library for new books...whatever will feel like a little treat.

fatmad
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I will join in but will settle for a 3 pound loss (to 165) since I lose so slowly. For me the challenge will be to simply stay on plan and exercise regularly. Skiing or yoga 5 days per week would be the thing.

sandyfanny
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Fatmad, I'm so glad you're taking this little journey with us. You always have good things to say, wisdom to share, and lots of encouragement for us. Yay!

Setting your own goals is smart. I didn't make 30 pounds in the Christmas Challenge, but I accomplished my major goal...not to give up and to continue working the plan. So, welcome!

abluvion
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I would like to join! I am currently pre-Atkins... doing all the reading I possibly can, getting as much information as I can before I start. Today I am starting to look at recipes suitable for Induction so I can go grocery shopping soon and set myself up to begin. I may begin a few days before the new year, but I might also hold off and be able to have champagne on New Year's Eve :)

I haven't told my boyfriend yet what my plan is... He's always very supportive but I wonder if I will run into any resistance from him when I tell him I'm going to follow Atkins. He was on board when I did Weight Watchers but that has stopped working well for me. I'm sure he'll understand. Not sure why I'm nervous about telling him. :?:

beckyh
12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I will definatley join this as I am sure to have a slip up on New Years Eve. I am sure I will have a couple (or more :o) drinks. I don't know what I was thinking starting before the New Year as we have parties to attend, but there is no time better than the present. Maybe I can find some low Carb beer to get into so I don't blow it big time.

sandyfanny
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Welcome, Abluvion. I hope you'll enjoy the Atkins way of eating. You mentioned hesitating to tell your boyfriend. Sometimes when I'm afraid of not succeeding or uncertain about success, I don't want to tell anyone what I'm up to. Right now, it's quitting smoking. I started this morning, and I'm not telling anybody except you guys for a while. Yikes!

abluvion
12-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I bit the bullet and off-handedly told him this morning.... and his response? "Great! Just tell me what I can do for you to help." :love: I don't know why I doubted he'd be supportive. He's a good guy :)

Go you quitting smoking! It is HARD WORK. But you can do it!

Linsy
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Good luck on quitting, Sandy! You'll be doing a great thing for your body, much like losing weight. :yay:

The scales have been creeping up...I'm guessing from not enough fat and going above my carbs too much. I'm also days away from TOM so I'm probably retaining a lot of water. I had a hot dog topped with chili and cheese for lunch just now. :hun: Dinner is cheese-stuffed meatballs over spaghetti squash instead of noodles. (Homemade low-carb sauce!) and a side salad with Italian dressing. Maybe my body will be like YES! Meat again!! and start dropping off the pounds. :D

I'm glad to see lots of new faces for the Valentine's challenge. They can be great fun and it's a great place to discuss your weight loss and daily efforts.

I have a huge box of Atkins goodies arriving in the mail sometime this week...a back-ordered Christmas present from my mom. Apparently it has 100+ items, including bars, shakes, and baking mix. I might post pictures when it finally arrives...I'll have more than a year's supply! I just need to make sure not to eat them TOO often...I don't want my weight loss to stall.

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Alchohol is not for Induction - we know, we know, but that said, if you've made up your mind you're going to drink:

I'm a believer in go big, or go home...so, why fool around with low-carb beer when what you want is champagne? Champagne has from .5 to 2 carbs per ounce; so, in a 5 ounce wine glass, you can figure 5 - 10 carbs, depending on whether you're drinking very dry champagne or super-sweet.

Here is a list of common types of Champagne and sparkling wines you will find, ordered from very dry (non-sweet) to very sweet:

Extra Brut
Brut
Extra Dry
Sec
Demi-Sec
Sec
Sekt (German)
Asti Spumanti (Italian)

So, buy yourself a nice bottle of Extra Brut and celebrate! :dizzy:

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 09:24 AM
I just checked with my doctor's office, and they'll be closed Jan. 1. So, I'll be weighing in to get my starting weight tomorrow morning (Friday, 31st). I'm excited, Atkins Chicks! :val1:

abluvion
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
sandyfanny - :lol: I agree! Go big or go home! :D Lucky for me I can't drink sweet champagne and only like the dry stuff.

We're going grocery shopping tomorrow, I am excited to pack my fridge full of Induction-friendly foods!

beckyh
12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I am not a Champagne fan. Beer is my drink of choice. I know that alcohol is not for induction, but seeing as I am going to be out and I know there is going to be alcohol being served and I will be part of the celebration, I am going to go ahead and allow it. If I have to start from square one again, so be it. I am only 4 days in -so it's not like I am going to be undoing that much progress.

I know that if I don't go ahead and get this out of the way, then I will probably fail this plan. It's my fault for not thinking ahead and starting before NYE...

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry, Beckyh, I misunderstood. I thought you were subsituting low carb beer for champagne - didn't know you prefer beer. Trying to help...

Everyone, when I post ".....is not for Induction," I'm not trying to preach at you, nor do I think I'm telling you something you don't know. I post that way because if I don't, JerseyGyrl will give me a smack-down. :D

She's great about monitoring this board and reminding us of what is and is not allowed on Induction. I'm grateful for her posts, but I don't want her to think I don't know better. Sometimes, I'm just off plan because I decide to be...:devil:

ma26
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I think that is a great challenge. 14 lbs would be a ton of work. But totally doable! I'm in!

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Welcome, Ma26! Congratulations on your weight loss. It's a tough challenge, but, as you say, doable. Yay, us!

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I just realized that when I lose four more pounds, I'll be half-way to my goal...that sounds good, but it also sounds like a long way.

Linsy
12-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Half-way is amazing! I can't wait until I hit my half-way mark. If you lost that weight once, you can do it again. :)

I finished off my veggie burgers--they were expensive and I didn't want to waste them. Now we'll see if those are what caused my stall. Right now I'm at 245 but I don't want to update my ticker because I'm not sure if it's TOM bloat/water so I'm going to wait a week or so to see. I'm excited to start our challenge. :yay:

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't change the ticker either...it's a combination of water retention, salt, TOM and flying across the country...that gives everybody bigger numbers on the scales.

Our challenge will be fun! It'll be so amazing if I can even come close to making 14 pounds by Valentines. We can do it!

beckyh
12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Oh! I didn't take your post in anyway other than being helpful, I hope I didn't come across as rude in my response. I just wanted to be clear that my intentions were not from misinformation. I am just going to start fresh on Saturday after all the celebrating is over. This will be my last time out for a while, so I want to make the most of it. Hopefully it won't do too much damage, but if it does, I am ready for the challenge of getting it all back off.

This past week I really haven't been counting my carbs like I should. I have just been eating lots of lean protein, cheeses and Atkins OK foods without measuring. After the new year I will be more diligent with it because I do want maximum results.

Thank you for any information or advice that you give. It is very helpful and motivating to have people on your side rooting for you to go all the way.

Krista
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd love to join this challenge and agree it does it seems like a ton of weight to lose, but I'm going for it! Good luck everyone!!

sandyfanny
12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Welcome, Krista! We can do this...eat on plan, take a walk every day or use a treadmill, drink your water. We'll get there before we know it.

I'm beginning a zumba class starting next week on Wednesday nights to entertain myself and get me moving in this cold weather.

Please post often. We want to know what you're discovering, thinking, and doing. This is a very supportive group. :cheer3:

Linsy
12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
I need to start drinking more water. Blah!

adhwright
12-31-2010, 02:56 AM
I would also love to do the Valentine's Day challenge! I too am reading up and will be starting Atkins for the New Year. I am really excited and truly believe this will be a plan that I can stick to. I am already motivated, but having this challenge will give me a small goal to start off with and will make me feel like I am being held accountable for my actions...which is a relly good thing. So here is to starting the New Year off right!!

Linsy
12-31-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm so excited that more people are starting Atkins--the board is becoming quieter lately and we need more people to liven it up. Please do come chat with us and join the challenges! The accountability and support is fantastic. :)

MaryOjo
12-31-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm in, 14pounds off sounds exciting! I'll weigh in on mondays.

sandyfanny
12-31-2010, 08:30 AM
:val1: Welcome, Adhwright and MaryOjo! The more the merrier on our challenge...we can fight the short, gray days of winter with friends on our board and look forward to being healthier, thinner and happier in 2011.

Please post often. The best ideas and information come from Atkins chicks. WE CAN DO IT!

:dust:

Zumbachica
12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Count me in. I"m new to the forum. Would like to lose ten by Valentine's Day.

abluvion
12-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Finally got my hands on the book today - started reading and can't put it down! I knew I liked this guy :lol: He describes me to a T when it comes to carb sensitivity and reactions to sugar. Going to get at least through the chapter(s?) on induction before I begin on the 2nd.

So I have 2 days of menus put into FitDay so far, and will build a few more days before my official start date. That way I have a number of solid days I know what I am eating and what the carbs are.

We just got back from grocery shopping. We went to BJ's and spent an unholy amount of money..... but we have SO much Atkins-friendly food now. The freezer is PACKED with meats. THe fridge is full of cheese, eggs, cream, legal bacon, legal sausage... Now we just have to go to the normal grocery store and buy all my vegetables. My boyfriend is excited that I am following Atkins because he feels he's about to start eating *really* well! :p

Well off to read a little more..... Happy new year everybody!!

sandyfanny
01-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Welcome, Zumbachica! We're glad to have you with us on our challenge...You can lose those ten pounds for sure. We're weighing in today (and tomorrow and Monday), posting our starting weight and working Atkins!

Abluvion, congratulations on your weight loss. Your boyfriend is right; he's going to be eating better than he's probably eaten in his life. Good work getting ready for the challenge. :)

Zumbachica
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I was a little nervous about posting here. Not sure if I can post a signature yet because i haven't been a member that long but I will weigh in.

sandyfanny
01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Zumbachica, here's a link that answers your signature question. I think you can create your signature and use an avatar now:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/frequently-asked-questions/43126-what-signature.html

When you've been a member 20 days and have 20 posts, you can add a ticker to track your progress. Hope this is helpful.

sandyfanny
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I have to move my ticker when I have time; I weighed yesterday at my doctor's office...apparently, I'm up two pounds. His scales are inaccurate (I have to do something about finding one that's right), but if it's the same inaccurate as last week, I'm up two pounds for sure.

I haven't been strictly Atkins for the past two weeks. I guess my holiday eating has caught up with me! Yikes. I'm lucky it's not worse...I hope it's finished catching up.

Linsy
01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
My official starting weight is 245. I've been this weight for a good week so I'm guessing that's where my body is right now.

sandyfanny
01-01-2011, 10:47 PM
No worries, Linsy. We're going to do this thing!

fatmad
01-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Well, I stayed on plan all day and went for a 30 minute brisk walk. Way to start!

sandyfanny
01-01-2011, 11:22 PM
A great start, Fatmad. I had a good day too. Bacon and scrambled eggs for brunch, coffee with cream. Dinner at Macaroni Grill: chicken spiedini - grilled on skewers with lemon and olive oil and a side of grilled veggies. Green mixed salad with peppercorn ranch dressing. Diet coke. Low-carb cheesecake muffin with sugar-free raspberry jam and whipped cream.

A very satisfying day. Atkins chicks eat well!

I also raked leaves, swept and raked my decks, swept the screened porch, and raked my driveway clear of leaves, planted some spring bulbs, and potted up an amaryllis, and then went into Wilmington with a friend and shopped before and after dinner. I couldn't have done the yard work at 246; I didn't have the energy or stamina. It's getting better.

yoyoma
01-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm in for a challenge, but my challenge will be to follow Atkins, starting with induction and to exercise regularly. I can't predict what sort of weight loss will result, but I've got my fingers crossed.

sandyfanny
01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome, Yoyoma! Staying on Induction is a challenge in itself, for sure.

abluvion
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
We have some unexpected house guests today and today was supposed to be my day to focus on ME and start Induction. Guess what? I'm not letting the extra people stop me. Today is Day 1. So far I feel okay though I had some detox-like shakes earlier before I had my 2nd meal. Had some asparagus and an ounce of cheese to get some carbs in, feel better after that.

The only thing the houseguests derailed is that I don't have a starting weight, as I did not get a chance to weigh myself before eating. So I guess tomorrow I will have to get my start weight. I know I was 208 the other day (my ticker is way wrong). I also wanted to take Day 1 start pics but the guests were sleeping in the room with the camera, so pics will be tomorrow too.

Am boiling some eggs to have on hand this week, and am having steak for dinner. So far, so good!

adhwright
01-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks so much for the welcome! I stepped on the scale today to get my "official" starting weight and I swear, I almost passed out! I am so ready to get started with Induction tomorrow!!!! Sounds like everyone else is getting off to a great start! I am so proud of all of us...this is going to make my Valentine's Day that much better! So until tomorrow....here are my stats

Starting weight 198.6

Linsy
01-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Down 2 pounds today. I think my suspicions were correct, and a lot of the weight was just water. I started TOM and stopped eating the veggie burgers. The artificial sweeteners seem to be fine for now, but the next time I stall those will be the first to go or at least cut down on. I also didn't eat any sugar-free candy yesterday, so that might be a contributing factor.

I made cauliflower pizza dough today, I wasn't a fan. I'll stick to making the eggs/cheese crust from now on since I liked that one a lot better.

Have a great week everyone, good luck!

adhwright
01-03-2011, 01:33 AM
I have a question for all you atkins pros out there...are pickles atkins or induction friendly? Thanks so much for your help!

yoyoma
01-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Well, I'm not a pro, but cucumbers are on the allowed list, so I assume it would depend upon how they are pickled. Obviously, the sweet pickles that have a lot of sugar added would not be allowed, but if they are just pickled in brine/vinegar, I don't see why not, as long as you count the carbs.

yoyoma
01-03-2011, 07:30 AM
So, yesterday I finally started counting my carbs and following Induction. I also counted my calories yesterday (and ended up starting a FitDay account). I did pretty well on the eating front, but decided to skip exercise for one more day (after sharing the 13 hour drive home, arriving at 4AM, on a rainy day that Curves was closed).

Today I need get back on board with exercise!

kuffgirl
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
So, today is my first day on induction phase of Atkins. I was searching for support and this challenge seems like just what i need! I'm excited!:carrot:

fatmad
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
so, I am 3 for 3 on exercising at least 30 minutes per day, with 60 minutes today and yesterday. Sticking to plan and almost back to pre holiday weight, want to get down down down.
Welcome to the newbies, lets make this stick for you, not just a new year's resolution that doesn't actually stay resolved.

abluvion
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
:wave: Hi kuffgirl! Welcome to 3fc :)

fatmad - I am resolved that this won't be another unmet resolution! My boyfriend even says he is amazed at my dedication so far. Totally into it.

I haven't started exercising yet. I LOVE to go to the gym and went at least every other day since September. I am feeling a little lethargic though since starting the diet yesterday - so I am thinking I will be gentle on myself for the first 3-4 days and hope my energy levels pick up as my body acclimates itself to my food intake. Then back to the gym to fight the hoardes of new year's members...

Lizzie51
01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
:carrot:I'm joining a bit late... but love the challenge

Linsy
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
abluvion--If you're not feeling well, try to drink a cup of broth. NOT low sodium. It will probably give some of your energy back. Induction flu sucks, but thank goodness it goes away after a few days. :)

Also, yes pickles are induction friendly. Just make sure they're not sweet pickles and have no added sugar.

adhwright
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, my first day of induction has been anything but easy... I woke up with an awful cold and if that wasn't bad enough so did my husband! My daughter is just getting over it so I can't be too surprised that I got it too. Today I have had 2 eggs and sausage for breakfast and that is it for the day...haven't been too hungry today. For dinner I'm going to make it easy and have a bunless burger and a salad. Hope everyone is doing well!!!

sandyfanny
01-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome, Kuffgirl and Lizzie51! Glad to hear everyone's ready to rock this thing...we're going to be such sweetiepies by Valentine's Day! I made myself walk the big fat Puddin' and myself today in spite of the chillier weather and the wind near the water. I told myself to "suck it up" and walk...it worked.

Here's a big sprinkle for the days to come...weighing in on Saturday, Atkins Chicks!

:dust:

Linsy
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm ordering exercise clothes and some light weights--I'm going to start lifting weights so when the fat comes off of my arms they'll be more toned. I have no exercise clothes of ANY kind so I'm getting a good sports bra and maybe some black sweatpants that I won't be embarrassed of wearing in public (right now all I have is raggedy pajama pants).

I found some great low carb tortillas that are only 3 net carbs per tortilla. They're pretty small, but today for lunch I melted some cheese and pepperoni on the tortilla under the broiler. A 3 carb pizza! It kept me full, too, because of the fiber.

Have a great week everyone! I'm so glad we have more people to chat with.

islandchick1
01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok, I'm a few days late with my weigh in.
215lbs. Hoping to be 199 by Valentines Day :D!

Twiddlebug
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I am excited to be joining you, also!

I did weigh-in on on Saturday, but started TOM, AND lived off of ChexMix over break :( so there HAS to be some water retention involved!

Twiddlebug
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I am excited to be joining you, also!

I weighed-in on Saturday, which was the start of TOM, AND I lived off of ChexMix over break :( so there HAS to be some water retention involved!

MaryOjo
01-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Starting weight as @ Jan 3rd: 167.5
Valentine's Day Target: 153.5
Pounds Lost: 0
Pounds to Go: 14

I gained 2.5pounds during the holidays but i'm determined to lose it this week so i'm not changing my ticker yet.

yoyoma
01-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Welcome, Twiddlebug and MaryOjo!!!

Yesterday, I did get myself in gear with a 45 min Curves workout and a 45 min dog walk. Today, I won't be able to do as much (I work 3 days/week).

My carbs came in at 20.6 due to an oopsie (honest mistake). Calories around 1600.

Today is my first day at work on Atkins. Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly!

BrenM
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm in for a challenge, but going to tweak it.
My goal is:
Stay on STRICT induction for the challenge
Drink more water
Give up my soda
(losing weight would be topping on the challenge!)

kuffgirl
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Day 2 of Atkins Induction and boy am I feeling the caffeine headaches! yikes! Other than that, I feel great! Even had time this AM to make an omelette before work! Turkey and cheese roll ups and cucumber for lunch!

We can do it, y'all!! :carrot:

Linsy
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I think for this challenge I'm going to try to stay strictly 20 carbs and under + limit cheese to 4oz a day. I usually try to stay under 25 carbs.

yoyoma
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I just figured out why I've been struggling so much to stay under 20 grams. When I switched over to FitDay, I was judging by the carb count and didn't realize that the carb total on FitDay includes fiber! So my first two days that I clocked in at about 20 carbs each was actually closer to 15 net carbs (and *that* included 3 grams from my supplements!).

So, life just got a little easier. The tip-off came when I could not believe how little asparagus I was going to be able to eat with dinner, lol! (Last night I was miffed at my tiny serving of brussels sprouts, but I needed to get hit on the head again before seeing the light.)

Linsy
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Fitday doesn't count net carbs. It can get really annoying!

sandyfanny
01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
We're glad to have you join us, BrenM and Tweedlebug. Everybody sounds ready and willing to lose those 14 pounds! Good job, everyone! :)

fatmad
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
am true to ticker again after 4 days on induction, have lost the holiday weight I put on. HOpe the trend will continue as I push thru on induction. Did get to ski today, got a flat on the way, and had to turn around. Driving is bad now, so can't go out to yoga. Will treadmill or wii tonight I guess to make sure I get my exercise in. Just have two weeks of holiday to get my act together, so that I am used to eating on plan and getting exercise regularly when I get back to work. LOL, so much to do on my "days off" though, all the things that are difficult when I am working. (dentist, doctor, going skiing at the far away places)
But am definitely on track for the challenge.

luckie13luv
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I WANT TO JOIN!

I failed miserably at the Christmas challenge, so I need to try again. Husband and I were just not able to commit, and so here I am starting over again.

Today is my day 1, and I hope to lose 14lbs by V-day. :)

Starting weight: 297
V-day Challenge: 283

sandyfanny
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Luckie13, glad to hear from you again. Welcome! Don't be too hard on yourself. Just think of it as something you chose not to do; now it's something you do choose to do. No worries. Post often; there's lots of support on this board.

abluvion
01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I get annoyed that FitDay doesn't do net carbs, too. At least give me a total fiber count or something, so I don't have to click on everything manually to get it! Grr. Ah well. Right now my total carbs are only at 17 anyway, so net carbs are somewhere near 15, which is pretty much the way things have been going for me.

I am getting a little bit of a headache tonight, but I am hungry. I have been hungry since 4, had an ounce of cheese and a hardboiled egg for snacks to tide me over. Boyfriend was supposed to be home at 7, so I was going to be ok til then - work has kept him long, though, and he is still not home. I am about to go eat on my own if he doesn't show up soon! I am sure my headache is from being hungry. Hmm. Otherwise I am doing ok so far!

I have told myself I won't weigh til the 14 days of Induction are through, so I don't know how well I am actually doing........ trying to TRUST the program for now.......

Linsy
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
The weight that I gained since coming home is dropping off quickly as soon as I stopped eating the sugar-free candy and the veggie burgers--one of those things was stalling me. Either the fillers in the burgers or the sugar alcohols.

I found whole wheat tortillas at only 3 net carbs per tortilla, yum. I'm making enchiladas tonight.

yoyoma
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Welcome back luckie13luv! The holidays are often the toughest time of year, but now is the time to make a fresh start!

I get annoyed that FitDay doesn't do net carbs, too. At least give me a total fiber count or something, so I don't have to click on everything manually to get it! Grr.

It doesn't tell you the fiber for each food, but it does break it out of the total if you look at the summary beneath your log (next to the pie chart that shows the nutrient break-down). The other weird thing is that they seem to include fiber in the carb calories, which doesn't make sense to me.

Another annoying thing about FitDay is that I can't find a way to easily copy/paste the food log (the format gets messed up). Plus I have to log in repeatedly throughout the day. Does anyone know of a better site?

abluvion
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Ahh I did not notice that! Thanks for saving me some time and trouble by pointing that out.

There are other calorie counting places out there... I have used sparkpeople in the past and hated it. It's too busy format-wise, there are ads everywhere... I sacrifice certain things to use fitday because it is the cleanest and least annoying one I've found. Let me know if you find a good alternative!

kuffgirl
01-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Tap and Track is great! I've been using it on my iphone, but they have it online too. I haven't used fitday, so I can't really compare, but Tap and Track is very simple and you can select your carb limit, etc. Go to tapandtrack.com....

Day 3 on induction and no more headaches from caffeine withdrawl, hallelujah!!!
Turkey, cheese, and a dab of avocado for lunch along with a small salad.

Grilling chicken kabobs tonight in 20 degree weather for the fiancee and I, but I'll brave the cold for some grilled veggies and chicken!

Weighing in Saturday with y'all! I feel good!!

SW: 205
Valentines day Challenge Goal: 191

abluvion
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
tapandtrack looks neat but it does look like it's only available as an app. I am still living in the age of dumb phones over here...

Chicken kabobs sound delicious! We are having salmon here tonight, but I will have to keep kabobs in mind...

abluvion
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I have had AWFUL sugar cravings today. Like, really really bad. I found my boyfriend's stash of oreos and got one out - intending to eat it. I set it in front of me and contemplated it. Smelled it. Acknowledged that if I ate it, I would just want more and more of them. I put it aside and left it there. Did you know one oreo has 8g carbs? That seems a lot for such a small thing.

So while my logical brain said no to the cookie, my irrational brain still wanted carbs and sugar... So I decided to try the mock danish, figuring it would be enough to fool me. Well, one wasn't, but two was. I was full and satisfied after that. Surely not great to overeat on any eating plan, but it could have been worse. Net carbs are still under 20g for the day, but mentally it feels like I messed up. I guess because I broke the daily cheese limit rule by eating two of them. We'll see if it has any impact of my weight loss, but I feel pretty good about not giving in to actual sugar...

BrenM
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I have had AWFUL sugar cravings today. Like, really really bad. I found my boyfriend's stash of oreos and got one out - intending to eat it. I set it in front of me and contemplated it. Smelled it. Acknowledged that if I ate it, I would just want more and more of them. I put it aside and left it there. Did you know one oreo has 8g carbs? That seems a lot for such a small thing.

So while my logical brain said no to the cookie, my irrational brain still wanted carbs and sugar... So I decided to try the mock danish, figuring it would be enough to fool me. Well, one wasn't, but two was. I was full and satisfied after that. Surely not great to overeat on any eating plan, but it could have been worse. Net carbs are still under 20g for the day, but mentally it feels like I messed up. I guess because I broke the daily cheese limit rule by eating two of them. We'll see if it has any impact of my weight loss, but I feel pretty good about not giving in to actual sugar...

I remember the last time I was on Atkins....I would crave oreo's. Which was weird because before starting the WOE I wasn't too crazy about them. lol Weird, huh? WTG on not caving in and eating it!!

yoyoma
01-06-2011, 06:25 AM
I guess because I broke the daily cheese limit rule by eating two of them. We'll see if it has any impact of my weight loss, but I feel pretty good about not giving in to actual sugar...

Well, breaking the daily cheese limit in in order to fight the oreo battle sounds like a big win to me! Congrats on finding the strength to resist!

I haven't any serious cravings for sweets. I try to minimize my exposure to them and I think that helps. I do still have to see them from time to time, but I pretend they are plastic -- pretty but not any kind of actual food. Somehow, fooling myself works better than rational argument, lol!

Yesterday, I was pretty much spot-on on the food (just under 20 net carbs) and had a big exercise day. This morning my ketosis strips showed me back in the moderate zone. I had been showing the light zone since I came back home. I suspect that exercise helps.

yoyoma
01-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Tap and Track is great! I've been using it on my iphone, but they have it online too. I haven't used fitday, so I can't really compare, but Tap and Track is very simple and you can select your carb limit, etc. Go to tapandtrack.com....

Thanks for the rec! I am trying it out now. The carb counts for foods do include fiber, but fiber is also listed separately for each food (as well as in the daily total). Also, I can copy and paste the log table :). I hope it also solves the frequent log-in problem!

So far, the only bone I have to pick with it is that it doesn't allow you to edit previous dates/times. It assumes you are entering the foods as you eat them. I guess this makes sense for a phone app (I don't have a smart phone though). I'll have to see how annoying that becomes. I will have to be diligent about making sure everything is logged before the day is over!

Aubrey87
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Sandy!
i miss-read this at first.. i am actually a calorie counter.. can i still partake?!
Aubrey

sandyfanny
01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
No worries, Aubrey87. You can count calories and work on the challenge if you like. Hope we don't drive you nuts with all of our carb chatter and recipes...and you are absolutely not allowed to tell us how many calories are in anything. We Atkins chicks know that they're a bazillion calories in butter, cheese, cream, cream cheese...all the things we live for.

You might be happier, though, in the calorie counters threads. But, if not, welcome!

Linsy
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
LOL Sandy, sometimes when I log my butter and oil into Fitday I freak out a little bit at the calories.

Edit: OMG--I weighed this morning (I've been weighing daily since I got my electric scale) and it seems like the weight I had put on WAS just water weight from TOM etc. Yesterday I drank 64oz of water, limited cheese and my TOM is ending. I had a HUGE whoosh and am now at 238.6. :eek: When I got home from PA I was at 239, and then went up to 245 and was pretty upset about that. Now I'm below where I was when I got home! :yay:

Because of that, I'm going to count my starting weight as 239 instead of 245, since the 5lbs or so seemed to not be actual fat.

This has also taught me a valuable lesson: LIMIT CHEESE AND DRINK MORE WATER. I put 1-2oz in my omelet and that's IT for the day. I'm also working on my first bottle.

Our first real weigh-in is in 2 days! I'm excited to see how much you have all lost, especially those of you starting Induction.

sandyfanny
01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Okay, Challenge Chicks, one more day until our first weigh-in. I'm with Linsy...excited to see how everyone did. Linsy's got the deal: limit cheese a little and drink more water...my two big hurdles.

I can eat some cheese, on Atkins or off, but I know it's a stall for me...and how am I going to flush that fat unless I drink water? I hate water. I still haven't conquered the water thing. It's ridiculous. I should just GET OVER IT! :)

Wishing everyone a great Atkins day and good luck! :hug:

Linsy
01-07-2011, 12:21 AM
I had a great day today. I didn't go over 20 carbs, ate vegetables, and am working on my third bottle of water right now. I plan to have one or two more before going to sleep tonight. I also only ate about 2oz of cheese the entire day, in my brunch omelet.

I'm loving my homemade guacamole--a mashed avocado with onion, garlic and salt. It tastes great and it's guilt-free as a fat and a vegetable!

LolaCrane
01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi there - I'm a newbie, but I'm a personal chef working with a man trying to lose over a 100lbs on the Atkins diet, so I'm cooking through Phase 1, right now, and decided to do it myself (I need to lose 75lb). I have gained and lost weight for umpteen years, ruining my thyroid in the process - so now have to deal with a metabolism that's in less than peak condition. Still, this year I've resolved to walk more and have actually lost five pounds since the New Year's Eve, just cutting out sugar, salt and Haagendazs! I've been eating cheese and tomato omlettes for breakfast, grilled salmon and salad for lunch, and just snacking on permitted veggies in the evening. I did something inexplicable yesterday (and I'm working on ways of finding language so I can talk to myself about this sort of thing) - deliberately drove through MacDonald's for FRENCH FRIES! I mean, what is that sort of mindlessness? Does anyone have a take on that sort of uncontrollable binge? It's like sitting down and eating one (or even two) pints of vanilla swiss chocolate almond! And I'd lost FIVE POUNDS! So - today's another day, and this is my first day on the forum. I hope to find courage and faith in my ability to do this thing by being part of a group! Thanks for being here!

abluvion
01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi Lola! :wave: Welcome to 3FC and the Atkins board :)

As for your french fry episode... Try to take ownership of the event. You say it was inexplicable and mindless, but some part of your brain was conscious of what you were doing or you wouldn't have been able to drive there :) I find that if I accept that *I* did it, rather than blaming some unknown psychological urge, I feel more in control and can work on battling the cravings better. Maybe that will work for you too. Don't beat yourself up, but accept ownership of it and learn from it.

Way to go on your loss so far!! 5lbs since NYE is wonderful!! Keep it up, you are doing something right!

As for me ~ I peeked at the scale. I thought I would resist and see one big woosh after two weeks of Induction but curiosity got the best of me. So far I'm down 3lb in 5 days (3 days if you want to count 'clean' days in a row - I slipped day 2). I will take that!! Just needed a little proof that things were working despite my high daily calorie intake (that will need to eventaully come down but for now won't change what ain't broken!).

Hope everyone is doing well, any weekend plans?

LolaCrane
01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the support, Abluvion - I will indeed "own" my digression. It's true that if you cheat, that you are making a choice to cheat, and I have fought this sort of self sabotage on and off for thirty years (as long as I've been a yoyo) - it's wretched. Today, on my way home from cooking (and eating) blackened salmon and a fabulous salad for lunch, I actually talked myself out of going to the grocery store to buy collards and mustard greens (I like to put them in chicken soup) because I didn't want to feel remotely tempted to buy a pint of HaagenDazs! Tomorrow, I'll go get my darn greens and work my way THROUGH the temptation. I have to ask myself (and insist on an answer) WHY I want the darn icecream! Seriously - if all it was about was "owning" it, I'd be over the hurdle by now! Meanwhile, I'm off to walk my dog. He's able to do a mile, and I'm up to three walks a day with him. Am planning to get a walking buddy to do three miles at ONCE at least three times a week, sans dog - who tends to stop to sniff and piddle along the way! My five pound loss since New Years is definitely due to upping the exercise! Forces the metabolism to kick in!

Linsy
01-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Welcome Lola! I've been on Atkins for about 4 months and have found that I (usually) no longer have the desire to eat off-plan. Losing weight is so much more satisfying and important to me. I hope you enjoy eating this way. :)

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Welcome, Lola. You might try doing what I do; skip entire sections of the grocery store. I can walk around the perimeter of the store and find what I should be eating: vegetables and produce, meat, chicken, fish, dairy. I don't even venture down the frozen foods, cereals, packaged foods aisles. It's become habit. Shopping this way gives new meaning to "Don't go there..."

Congratulations on your weight loss.

BrenM
01-08-2011, 12:08 PM
My goal was:
Stay on STRICT induction for the challenge--so far so good:D
Drink more water--well, drinking a LITTLE more than usual:)
Give up my soda--Cut down to 2 cans a day. Will decrease to 1 next week:^:
(losing weight would be topping on the challenge!)--lose 6 pounds!!!:carrot:

So far (except the first day) I think I've accomplished my goal pretty good!! :)

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Great work, BrendM! I'm a little confused - did you lose six pounds or is your goal to lose 6 pounds?

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Okay, Atkins Challenge Chickies, it's weigh-in day.

DOWN THREE POUNDS! WOO HOO!

I'm glad the scales cooperated because I've been hungry all week. It's my doing, though. I need to drink more water, eat more veggies and stop being lazy about making salads and cooking a variety of veggies. I'd like to lose three pounds next week, too, and make some progress on the water and the veggies.

Good luck, everyone. Can't wait to hear how your week was! :dizzy:

Twiddlebug
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I am down two pounds!

I do know it's mostly waterweight, because of last week's sodium-overload. However, just watching the numbers go down is a motivator. I have a couple HIGH-stress things going on in life right now, so my biggest challenge is not falling into the trap of emotional eating.

How did everyone else do?!?

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Great work, Twiddlebug! We'll take a two-pound loss of anything - water, fat, whatever...hope some of the high-stress stuff begins to resolve itself in good ways for you. I'm in that high-stress place too - eating is such a familiar comfort, it's hard not to turn to food.

I'm working on things I can actually do to feel a sense of control over what's causing my stress that I can't control. Does that make sense? It's an awful sentence.

Anyway, have another great Atkins week. We'll be at sweetie-pie weight before we know it! :val1:

yoyoma
01-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I stayed on program and I am down 1.5 pounds. That's good for me! :)

Congrats to everyone else. We can rock this challenge!

BrenM
01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Great work, BrendM! I'm a little confused - did you lose six pounds or is your goal to lose 6 pounds?

lol. Thanks for pointing this out (I hadn't seen it). I mis-typed it. I LOST 6 pounds. One of my goals was to stay OP, but losing weight would be icing on the cake (if we were allowed to eat those. lol).

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow, BrenM! That's the way to do Induction! Woo Hoo to You!

You had a great week...here's wishing you another one!

BrenM
01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Looks like EVERYONE is doing great!!
Thanks Sandyfanny! I'm feeling GREAT! I'm looking forward to CONTINUING to LOSE rather than GAIN wait! :)

islandchick1
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi ladies!
Down to 212.
SW 270
CW 212
GW 199 by VALENTINE'S DAY :val1:
End goal 130

islandchick1
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Welcome, Lola. You might try doing what I do; skip entire sections of the grocery store. I can walk around the perimeter of the store and find what I should be eating: vegetables and produce, meat, chicken, fish, dairy. I don't even venture down the frozen foods, cereals, packaged foods aisles. It's become habit. Shopping this way gives new meaning to "Don't go there..."

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I also stay away from the "NO NO aisles". The funny thing is, I now manage a floral dept. in a large grocery store and I still avoid those aisles while working. My department is right by the produce and I get to smell all that wonderful fruit all day :)

sandyfanny
01-08-2011, 07:18 PM
You're burning it up, Islandchick. It's so good to hear from you. In fact, I'm going to go back to one of your posts where you outlined what you usually eat every day. Your weight loss is terrific! I really appreciate your comments and your delicious recipes.

Congratulations, yoyoma, keep it up. YAY, US!

Linsy
01-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Down 1 pound. Technically this is a lot more (7 pounds) when you count all of the water weight I lost this week, so I'll take it! I also weighed at the end of the day so it might even be 2--I'll update when I weigh tomorrow morning.

DiamondAries21
01-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Great idea!

I also started a valentine's day challenge yesterday but I decided to go with 12lbs!

*** MINI GOAL ***
February 14, 2011 -- Lose 12lbs!

islandchick1
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I just wanted to give a tip (MY tip, NOT an official Atkins tip lol). After I loose 15 lbs or so, I'll focus on just maintaining that loss. During this period I increase my carbs a bit just to play with the numbers to see what level I maintain on and what level I gain on. So basically it's like going into OWL phase and hanging out a bit. Then I'll start Induction again to get the lbs. rolling off again. This will no doubt get feedback about this not being the way Atkins works, but like I said, it does work for ME :D and it really makes me feel like I can enjoy more things.

kuffgirl
01-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Great Job everyone!!

I weighed in yesterday at 197! I started at 205. I lost 8 pounds!!! This was my first week of induction and I knew I'd lose a lot of water weight, like the book said, but this is awesome! I'm pretty sure it will start to slow this second week, but I feel great!

Starting Weight: 205
Current Weight: 197
Valentines Day Goal: 191

Have a great week!!

sandyfanny
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I think you're right on track, Islandchick, for many of us who have more than 20 pounds to lose. I don't recall reading anything in the Atkins literature that says it's best to stay on Induction until you've lost all of the weight you intend to lose.

I've done something similar. For about three weeks in December, I added a low carb whole wheat bread to my eating plans. I used a bread with 17 net carbs per three slices and limited myself to two or three slices per day. I needed a break from making salads and eating chicken salad for lunch.

I didn't gain, and I lost a little...a pound or so - mostly I maintained. After Christmas, I started back into Induction eating. The half a loaf of the bread I had been using sat in my pantry for a week after I got home from my Christmas holiday. Then I just threw it out although it wasn't out of date. I just didn't want it any more.

Now I'm working on limiting my cheese to one or two ounces a day; that's so hard for me. I like cheese on everything, so I'm trying just a sprinkle. And, as always, drinking the nasty water.

Thanks for the tip. You always have such good ones. I can't find the post you did where you listed what you typically eat in a day (when you're not "resting" from Induction). I'm sure it was a response to my asking you what you eat. If you happen to remember what thread that post is in, please tell me. I started looking last night, but probably wasn't using the right threads.

Have a great week.

abluvion
01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi ladies! So I'm done with my first week of Induction... Though if you want to be strict about it, I am only 5 days in of 20g carbs (I had a major oops on Day 2). So either 5 or 7 days in, I am down 4 lb. That is not as much as some people but I am thrilled with it. I am also in the middle of TOM so that might be hiding some loss. I will take it!

SW: 209
CW: 205
GW: 195

Getting closer!

sandyfanny
01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey Linsy, would you give me a link to your recipe for almond flour pancakes or share your recipe? Don't get excited Challenge Chicks...almond flour is NOT on Induction.

Congratulations on your loss, Abluvion! Super week! :hug:

islandchick1
01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Sandyfanny I just had to find what works for me. Basically, everday I eat 4-5 scrambled eggs for breakfast with 5 pieces of bacon. This is like everyday. I know some people don't like breakfast, I do. Always have. I can go without lunch and even supper if need be, but I have to have breakfast. I usually, but not always take my lunch. If I have to buy my lunch I quiz the deli people about what they put into their tuna salad (REAL mayo or not, apples?, ect.) so if I think it's safe I'll eat that. But usually it's whatever I made the night before for my supper. OR I'll make a salad with lettuce, cheese, cucumber, celery, sliced ham, cauliflower, 1 small roma tomato, and sliced red pepper with some ranch dressing I make myself -ZERO carbs. For supper, it's usually a cabbage and beef stir fry. I think I've posted before the things I put into it. I also make the cauliflower soup pretty often. Last night I made a vegetable spicy beef soup. My work is a lot more demanding now, so I just try to plan a few days ahead. I still eat the HWC and lemon cheese cake thing when I feel like I just have got to have a treat. It's just easier for me to basically eat the same things each week. It just takes the guess work out of it. Oh yeah, I eat quite a bit of the cheese crackers that we all make. I really like to eat a whole slice of cheese sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda. It just reminds me so much of cinnamon toast.

sandyfanny
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I really appreciate your posting your typical menu again for me. I'll bookmark it this time, I promise.

The cheese slices sprinkled with cinnamon and Splenda sound just awful, but I tried it over the holidays; it's delicious. I was craving cinnamon toast, and it I loved it. I liked it so much I don't make it (or the cheese thingeys) too often because I can easily go over the daily allowance of cheese in a hurry. :dizzy:

Linsy
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
This is the recipe I use Sandy: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm

They're not very sweet and much drier than regular pancakes, but great if you're in the mood for something other than eggs and bacon.

I weighed today and lost ANOTHER pound--236 now. I'm practically losing a pound a day, it's ridiculous!

sandyfanny
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much, Linsy. I'm going to try them tonight using an almost identical recipe I found at

http://lowcarbdudecom.blogspot.com/2008/01/recipe-low-carb-almond-meal-pancakes.html

I think the only difference is baking powder. We're expecting a winter storm, and this seems perfect.

Girl, you are shrinking like crazy. Way to go, Linsy. We're in it to win it!

Linsy
01-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks Sandy. I wish I could lose a pound every day--I'd be at goal in 4 months. :lol: I know that's impossible though (unfortunately!)

MaryOjo
01-10-2011, 03:52 AM
Weight as @ Jan 10: 166
Pounds Lost: 1.5
Pounds to Go: 12.5

Linsy
01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
I am also a water hater. For the past few days I have forced myself to drink at least four 16oz bottles of water a day. For my first bottle, I always drink it with flavoring--an individual pack of Crystal Light, or today a tbsp or so of Torani sugar-free raspberry syrup. The last three bottles are always plain water and I NEVER have more than one artificially sweetened drink a day. I always count the Crystal Light as 2 carbs because each "single serve" packet has 2 servings.

I know having artificial sweetener every day is bad but if it gets me to drink all of my water then I don't think it's that harmful. For some reason, jump starting my water intake with a yummy drink makes it easier to drink the rest. I haven't noticed a stall from it but if I do it will be one of the first things I cut out.

I've also been severely limiting cheese which is a big weakness of mine. Lately, instead of loading up my meals with cheese I've been eating a 1/2oz or 1oz slice for a snack. It seems like I get the "flavor" of the cheese better and I'd rather eat it like that than on my meals. I'm trying to take cheese out of my meals unless the recipe really needs it. For example, the other night I made a taco salad with no cheese on top. Wanting to put cheese on everything must be all mental because I didn't miss it at all and the salad was great.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I experienced a 6lb water weight loss immediately after upping my water and limiting cheese. I'm going to keep this going, and I'm more motivated than ever. Have a great week everyone!

BrenM
01-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I shouldn't have counted on weight loss so soon in this WOE. I've lost before and for some reason gained it right back. I've gained a pound (so far) back. The only thing I can think is that it's the flavored water (generic crystal light stuff) instead of plain water I drink. Thinking that's messing things up and making me gain :( Back to the drawing board---and PLAIN water! Week 2 coming up!!

sandyfanny
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Great advice, Linsy. I should take it! I also noticed you changed your avatar to...is that WATER? I've been drinking hot tea with sweetener in it; I'll start today drinking it plain with lemon.

sandyfanny
01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Way to lose, MaryOjo! You're on track for a perfect Valentine's Day.

kuffgirl
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Great Job everyone! Week 2 is in full effect! Just had turkey slices with cheese and cucumber for lunch. I'm going to try the parmesan crusted chicken tonight from the recipe thread! Sounds yummy! Have a great day!!

sandyfanny
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Good for you, Kuffgirl. Off to a great start for week 2!

You (and everybody else) will love the parmesan-crusted chicken. If you have any leftover, try cutting it up on a salad the next day for lunch or dipping it in homemade sugar-free honey mustard dressing - that recipe's one of my favorites, and it's on the "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner'" site too. Enjoy!

Linsy
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Great advice, Linsy. I should take it! I also noticed you changed your avatar to...is that WATER? I've been drinking hot tea with sweetener in it; I'll start today drinking it plain with lemon.

:lol: I don't really know, I didn't take the picture. I think it's lemonade.

Linsy
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I shouldn't have counted on weight loss so soon in this WOE. I've lost before and for some reason gained it right back. I've gained a pound (so far) back. The only thing I can think is that it's the flavored water (generic crystal light stuff) instead of plain water I drink. Thinking that's messing things up and making me gain :( Back to the drawing board---and PLAIN water! Week 2 coming up!!

Are you counting the carbs in the Crystal Light? The powdered stuff has carbs in it because of the maltodextrin they use to put it into powdered form (same with powdered Splenda). Most of us on Atkins count each serving of crystal light as 1 carb to be safe.

sandyfanny
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Linsy, I'm going to pretend your avatar is water 'cause we both hate it. Maybe it'll encourage me to drink gross water.

Linsy
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm working on my first bottle (pomegranate berry tea flavored) right now! After this bottle is over I have to start with the plain water...blech!

sandyfanny
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I feel your pain, Linsy. I didn't make it today without using Truvia in my hot tea. I drank Seltzer water. I hate water.

kuffgirl
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Sandyfanny: you were right the parm crusted chicken is to die! I love love love it! I'm glad I have a different way of making chicken, now!

I brought it to work the next day in a salad like you said and it was wonderful! the recipes make me more encouraged that I can do this as a lifestyle change and not a diet!

P.s. you guys are cracking me up on this water thing. I love water! How can you hate it? lol. Have you all tried the Aquafina flavor splashes??? That might make you be able to get your water in and they are the only ones without apartame in it. (Dasani has aspatame in it)

Good luck everyone!!

sandyfanny
01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Kuffgirl, I hate all water...unless it's water that's turned into tea or coffee. And I have to have something in that: sweetener in tea and cream in coffee. It's ridiculous, but water sort of tastes like dirt if dirt were liquid. How awful is that??!! I try with a squeeze of fresh lemon and lots of ice, but it's the worst.

Linsy
01-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Managed to drink about 60oz of water today. Not too bad, but I need to start drinking more.

I'm doing awesome with cutting out cheese. I haven't been going over at all, in fact I've been under. Today the only cheese I had was a slice in my wrap this morning, a sprinkle on my stuffed bell pepper and a slice tonight with my snack. Probably about 2oz total.

sandyfanny
01-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Good job, Linsy! You're rocking the Atkins with all that water and that little bit of cheese!

abluvion
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Well ladies I went to the gym last night after a 3-week break from it... Let me tell you, 3 weeks of sloth makes quite a difference in what I was able to do!! I tried running my usual HIIT program on the elliptical but couldn't keep up with it. My heart rate ended up at 185 at one point which is a wee bit high so I took the intensity down. I was kind of disappointed with myself but I know I'll get my endurance back. After cardio I did a few upper body weight machines and my shoulders are sore today.

I expected a gain this morning because of the exercise, but instead am just the same as I was yesterday. I'm just glad I got back to the gym finally!!

kuffgirl
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Great job at the gym Abluvion! I know it's hard to get back in swing of things. I went to Latin Heat class at my gym last night, its like Zumba. Then a short 10 minute jog on treadmill.

I like mixing in dance and step classes with my normal routine, makes it less boring.

Do you do other things or normally stick to eliptical??

Twiddlebug
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Mmm, water!...but to tell you the truth, I have a very hard time drinking a glass of water. It takes me forever to get through it. I have a glass of water with meals, and rarely finish it. HOWEVER, when I drink out of a reusable water bottle with the flip-up straw, or one of those 'insulated' glasses with the hard plastic straw, I refill it time-after-time. Weird, I know! Even the standard chewable :-) straws slow me down.

abluvion
01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I love water... I have absolutely no problem drinking it. However, I am like you Twiddlebug in that I drink so much faster out of certain things! I can barely finish water out of a drinking glass, but put it in my squeezy water bottle and I guzzle it down. Give me a straw to use in a nalgene and I guzzle it down. It's bizarre, but I'm going with it, so i just keep my water bottle with me always!

kuffgirl - I am intimidated by dance classes, i have NO rhythm! I literally have trouble consistently clapping to a beat, I always get off beat. I'd look a fool :p But it's great you enjoy it! I do HIIT on the elliptical most days, sometimes I do the rowing machine after the elliptical. Sometimes I use a treadmill or the cross-trainer. I like to switch it up sometimes but the majority of the time it's the elliptical. And I always do weights too, I just alternate days doing upper/lower body.

MaryOjo
01-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Way to lose, MaryOjo! You're on track for a perfect Valentine's Day.

Thanks Sandy, i'm so excited, i really pray i reach goal weight by valentine, that will be so sweet as i didn't make any of the challenges i signed up for last year.

My official weigh in is on mondays but i couldn't resist the scale this morning so i just hopped on the scale and was so excited to find out i've lost weight!

I won't be around to weigh in next week so i'll take today's weight as official for next week

Weight as @ Jan 13: 163.8
Pounds Lost: 3.7
Pounds to Go: 10.3

adhwright
01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello all! I see everyone is doing very well! Yay!!! I missed last weeks weight in because my entire household had the flu! I weighed in today and am down 4 lbs! I'm not sure if it was atkins or the flu but I'll take it! BTW... I am with y'all on hating water..I have to absolutely force myself to drink it! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Starting weight: 198.6
Current weight: 194.6

Linsy
01-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Water is finally becoming a habit. Grab a bottle, drink it while I'm on the computer. It disappears in no time. I'm at 60oz today, not too much but I hope to be up to 100oz a day in the next week or two.

yoyoma
01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm not so good with water yet. But I'm doing great on the artificial sweetener. I used to drink a lot of Crystal Light and truvia-sweetened tea. I've ditched the Crystal Light and I have sliced and diced my three servings of sweetener to last through several cups of (decaf) coffee and tea.

As a result, I am starting to really taste the natural sweetness in foods again. Now even artichoke hearts and cream cheese seem to taste a little sweet to me. Before Induction, I couldn't imagine eating unsweetened whipped cream, but now I can (I haven't done it yet, but I may whip up the rest of the heavy cream I bought for my beverages).

Linsy
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Yoyomama, on Christmas my aunt made deviled eggs with sweet relish in them and I ate a few because I was starving. They tasted like CANDY because of all of the sugar in the sweet relish! It was so strange, I probably would have hardly even noticed how sweet they were before.

The funny thing is, I ended up going and eating several more of the deviled eggs. It's probably because of the addictiveness of sugar.

abluvion
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I have noticed this too!! Especially dairy... The natural dairy sugars really come out strong for me. Then again I think they always have to some degree - I can't drink milk because it tastes cloyingly sweet. But now the heavy cream is so sweet... Cream cheese too... Onions when I cook them down long enough are pure sugar. I love it :)

I am down another lb today, I think I might actually lose the 14lb to Vday :) I am down 6.4 so far, so it just takes another 7.6...

yoyoma
01-15-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm an early bird, so I've already weighed in for the week -- I'm at 141, down 1.5 pounds from last week. That's still good for me! :)

islandchick1
01-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Good morning ladies!
210 this morning :D
GW 199 by Valentine's Day :D

BrenM
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I messed up last night (was at parents. Did stress eating, but didn't binge like usual, so I count THAT as a success) but am down 2 pounds from last week. Drank a little more water, so that's getting better. Still drinking the soda, so that hasn't improved :( But all in all I'm hanging in there!

Twiddlebug
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Down 3 more pounds :carrot: , but had a very bad carb-loaded day yesterday. Ugh!! I knew the morning was messed up, and tried to get back on track, but got in the mindset of "Since I've already screwed up..." and went on a major sweets binge...I even went to bed with a good book and a huge bowl of popcorn :corn:. Blech! (well, not really, as it's my all-time favorite snack.)

I cannot keep doing this to myself.

sandyfanny
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't tell what my weight is...I went to my doctor's office to weigh, and one of the nurses informed me that the scale's more out of balance than usual and that it wouldn't be an accurate measure of what I weigh. I weighed anyway, and it was the same as last week - which may be entirely reasonable. I didn't have a great week.

So I went to Walmart (which I HATE) and bought a Health-o-meter scale - digital, battery-operated. Brought it home, got all set to weigh and IT WON'T WORK! DOESN'T DO ANYTHING! Now I have to go back to stupid Walmart and do the returns thing...double GRRRRR...:mad:

That's not happening for a while. I'm taking Puddin' and myself out for a walk while it's reasonably warm and sunny...something we haven't seen in ten days. Maybe it'll improve my frame of mind 'cause right now, it's not so good! :devil:

Linsy
01-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Sandy, the same thing happened with my health-o-meter scale that I got for Christmas. It wouldn't register that I was trying to weigh on it. I got a new one and it works great.

I didn't weigh this morning until after I drank some water, so I'll weigh in the morning.

abluvion
01-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I am down another 2.6 this week for a total of 6.6!

SW: 209
CW: 202.6
GW: 195

I'm hopping off induction come Monday and moving on to OWL. They say expected loss for Induction is 5-10% of what you want to lose... I want to lose about 60lb, so I have already surpassed my 10%. I think I've done enough on Induction. I want more veggies :)

islandchick1
01-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Here's a tip for anyone that has a scales at home: If you're not sure the reading is accurate, weigh something you know has a constant weight. I use a 5lb. weight I always weigh the weight, then myself. Now if you have no weights, use a bag of flour, sugar, ect. Everyone has SOMETHING in their home that has a constant weight. :)

BrenM
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
WTG everyone! Keep up the great work!!
Islandchick, that is a great idea!!

Linsy
01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
It's official. I'm so determined to find out what's stalling me so I'm cutting out my daily Crystal Light (aspartame sweetened) drink. I've been considering it for about a week, and just now I realized that there was one major thing different when I was consistently losing--I NEVER drank diet soda or Crystal Light. I completely cut it out except for very rare treat like eating out. It's going to be hard because I really, really like that daily "treat"...but if it's stalling my weight loss it's not worth it! I'm going to give it 2 weeks and then re-evaluate. It's going to be hard but I can do it.

yoyoma
01-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Linsy,

I had to kick a Crystal Light habit too (and cut back on sweetener in tea). I've read enough articles that I am convinced that even 0-cal substitutes can wreak metabolic habit in some people. I guess I'm one of them. I haven't cut them out completely, but I will tread very carefully from here on.

Good luck!

abluvion
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Great decision, Linsy. I hope you are pleasantly surprised with the results. Aspartame stalls a LOT of people. Are you going to be able to replace your CL with dreaded water? :) Maybe with a lemon slice for some taste?

kuffgirl
01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Down one pound for week 2! Total of 9 lost.

I was just telling someone how sweet things taste after 2 weeks of lo-lo carbing it. Cucumber slices were sooo sweet. Plus I had a caffeine free diet pepsi (aspartame) for the fist time in 2 weeks and i could taste the difference! It tasted "chemically"....weird. Ill stick with my water, non-aspartame flavored and sparkling water for now.

Quick question: How many carbs do you count for a whole box of sugar free jello? Serving size is 1/4 of box at 0 carbs 0 sugar, but didnt know if you consider it 1 carb for each serving just to be safe??

Week three is gonna rock y'all!! We will be sexy little vixens on Valentines Day! :devil:

abluvion
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I had the same experience the other day with soda, kuffgirl. I had a diet pepsi at lunch and it tasted so strongly of aspartame. Weird.

For the jello, I would count it 1 per serving because we are supposed to count 1 for each serving of artificial sweetener we use. That's just a guess though.

Peaches5577
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi all, I am a little late but would love to join in! I weighed in at 172 as of the first of January and this morning was 164.2 so down 7.8 lbs so far. Another 7 by Valentines Day would be music to my ears!

sandyfanny
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Welcome, Peaches! You'll find lots of support and good suggestions on the Atkins board and with the Valentine's Day Challenge Chicks. We weigh in every weekend sometime between Saturday and Monday.

Linsy
01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
abluvion- Yeah, I can replace the CL. I only had one serving of it a day (1 bottle CL and 2-3 bottles regular water) so all I have to do is replace the daily bottle of it. I can handle water a little bit better than I used to.

Linsy
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
After one day of eating cleaner, I'm back down to my ticker weight. Amazing. Yesterday I had protein from chicken and eggs, veggies, fat from butter and mayo, tons of water, and the tiniest tiny bit of artificial sweetener (Splenda, not aspartame). I can't believe how much of a difference it made!

kuffgirl
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Great Job Linsy!! Keep it up!

Thanks for answering my jello question, abluvion!

How's everyone doing today??

sandyfanny
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
It's been a long day...our school schedule is a wreck from two snow days - it doesn't take much on the Carolina coast to make us lose our natural minds. I still haven't resolved the scale issue...I took the "broke" one back and didn't see anything I thought would work any better. Tomorrow I'm going to check at school and see if the phys. ed. guys have an accurate scale; I'll bet the wrestling coach does. I'll weigh in on Tuesday.

Linsy, good job on the sweetener. I'd almost given it up entirely; then came the holidays and I started using it again to treat myself. I think I've treated myself to a big old stall. Bleh...

Linsy
01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I put some peppermint extract in my bottle of water to spice it up...it's WAY too pepperminty with just a drop or two. I might start getting a big pitcher of water and adding a drop of peppermint extract to the whole thing. I love peppermint!

sandyfanny
01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
That's so clever, Linsy...peppermint exract in our nasty water. I'm going to try that in a pitcher of water. I love peppermint too. I've been craving peppermint hot chocolate; I could use the peppermint water to make one.

Linsy
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Down 1 pound from yesterday. I think cutting out the sweetener made a difference in a big way.

yoyoma
01-22-2011, 05:17 AM
My early bird official weigh-in today has me down 1 pound from last week (total of 4 pounds since the challenge start). That's fine with me, but... I've been bouncing around daily in the same range for the past three weeks or so, and it's just luck that I have been weighing in with decreasing numbers on Saturdays.

Part (most?) of the problem must be that I have not been exercising regularly. There's been a lot of snow here which makes walking outside difficult for me. Plus, my Curves is has been closed due to weather on days that I would normally have gone.

Maybe I should be happy just to hold my ground at this time of year. But I am toying with the idea of going back to strict induction. I finished induction a week ago and this past week I've eaten a few non-induction foods and upped my carb count a bit. But maybe I should go back on again until I see some real progress or until I can start exercising regularly again.

Linsy
01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Down 4 pounds from challenge start at 234. I weighed in at 235 today and 234 yesterday, but I know the 1lb gain is from water retention...I ate a lot of sodium yesterday.

yoyomama: I went back on strict induction after a couple of months eating higher carb foods like whole wheat tortillas and some off-plan sweetener like aspartame. I went back on strict Induction (plus nuts) last week and have seen great results. I never exercise even though I know I should, and I have still been losing consistently. I'd say try it if you're not happy with your results, but at such a low weight your 1lb per week is still a great loss.

sandyfanny
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I've had inaccurate scales drama for several weeks...yesterday I weighed on the wrestling team's fancy electronic scales...not good!

I weighed 200 yesterday afternoon. No bueno. I refuse to believe I've gained a gazillion pounds. I think I just haven't known how much I weighed for a while...thank you, doctor's office scales.

So, I've lost no weight, I guess. Who knows? Anyway, I'm correcting my ticker and readjusting my challenge weight and goal. :mad:

Linsy
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Sandy, I know you said before that you don't want a scale at home, but I'd really suggest just running down to Target and grabbing a cheap electronic scale just so you know that you're losing consistently. You could always go buy one and then weigh and return it...:lol: just kidding!

But really...you'll feel much better if you knew you were being consistent!

islandchick1
01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Ladies!
Weighing in today at 210. I'm kinda feeling fat as all get out due to TOM :(
Anyways I know it will pass. Hopefully I'll get a nice swoosh afterwards.
SW 270
CW 210
VGW 199
GW 130

sandyfanny
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Linsy, but there is no running down to Target...I live at least 45 miles from the nearest Target, and we're all up in a winter storm...snow, sleet, no driving for me. It started about 10 this morning and stopped maybe half an hour ago. Nasty weather! Nothing nearby except Walmart, home of last week's totally defective scales.

You're right, though. I probably need a scale that I trust. It is frustrating and makes me feel uncertain about what I'm eating and what's working when I'm not sure whether I gained, lost or maintained. I'm just aggravated!

BrenM
01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I haven't achieved any of my goals (blew it a little yesterday). And I haven't lost anymore weight, I gained a pound so I'm up to 189 again. Still it's a start, and I feel better than before. Time to get back on track though:) Oh, and have decided not to give up soda, but need to work on cutting back on it (or I'll never get any water drank).

kuffgirl
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm still the same at 197.

kuffgirl
01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
well i guess i gained a pound because i was 196 last week, bummer!

sandyfanny
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Some of us had a rough week! I weighed again this morning on the wrestling team's scales, same weight 200. Let's make this a good weigh-in this week...we only have three more weeks - where did the time go???!!!

I'm thinking I won't make that 14 pounds, but maybe I could make 10? I'm not very happy with myself...feeling a little disappointed in myself - maybe a lot disappointed in myself.

We have a weigh-in on the 29th, the 6th and the 13th, 14th, or 15th, depending on which day you weigh. I'll have to weigh in on Saturday (and I know I do it again on the 15th) 'cause I don't have access to the team scales on Saturday.

WE CAN DO IT! DON'T GIVE UP!

islandchick1
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Don't give up or feel discouraged friends! The way I see it is ANY weight lost by our mini goal date of 2-14-11 is a WIN for us. Hang in there everyone. We only fail if we fail to keep trying. :)

sandyfanny
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Thank you, Islandchick, for that much-needed boost! You're totally right - any weight loss is a victory. Not giving up is an even bigger victory.

Okay, Atkin's Sweeties, LET'S LOVE OURSELVES and STAY ON PLAN!

Linsy
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm getting sick, and when I'm sick, I always want things like tea, soup, gatorade, and 7-up...pretty much standard "sick" foods. I found some Arizona iced tea drink mix packets in my drawer...I decided on a whim to check the label and they're sweetened with sucralose instead of Aspartame, which means they're legal and might not stall me if I use them sparingly. Score! I plan on taking advantage of them the next few days when all I'll probably want is broth and liquid (my whole family says this is one of the worst sicknesses they've ever had, and I caught it from them. I'm fully prepared to feel like death tomorrow).

The only thing about these packets is that they contain honey and ginseng, but it's marked that those ingredients contribute a "dietary insignificant amount of sugar" so I'm going to trust it. It's pretty much just instant green tea with ginseng.

I realized today that if I lose at a steady 2lb per week, I'll be in Onederland by summertime and maybe get enough confidence to wear short sleeves or knee-length skirts/sandals/heels. That would be amazing. I'm always the girl wearing quarter-length sleeves and jeans or capris in the middle of July California heat. :( Getting to 199 by July is my first long-term goal, and I'm going to stay on strict Induction+nuts until then.

The only splurge I'll be having is for my birthday--I plan on having an on-plan meal but allowing myself more carbs so I can have a good portion of a homemade low-carb sugar-free carrot cake. Carrot cake is my favorite and has been my birthday staple for years so I'm glad I can still enjoy a low carb version this year.

Have a great week everyone!

MaryOjo
01-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Weight as @ Jan 25: 167:( (Was on vacation and couldn't get healthy meals, hope to loose the weight ASAP)
Pounds Lost: 0.5
Pounds to Go: 13.5

sandyfanny
01-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Hope the plague doesn't treat you too badly, Linsy. I'm glad you found something you feel you can drink without stalling. Feel better.

Linsy
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Thank you! Fortunately I don't feel as bad (today) as the rest of my family. I think I can thank my cleaner eating and water drinking. I used to get sick constantly but I seem to be more resistant. Yay! Fingers crossed that I don't get worse.
I had an off-plan moment and had 1/2 serving of chicken and wild rice soup. At least I still made sure the carbs weren't too high and went for half of the serving...In the past I would have scarfed the whole can without a second glance at the label, so I guess that's pretty good. Thumbs down for the rice, though! :lol:

sandyfanny
01-28-2011, 06:57 AM
One more day until weigh-in, Challenge Chicks! I don't expect big things...I've been in a self-induced stall for about three weeks and can't seem to get myself together. Combination of lazy, post-holiday blues (which follow the holiday blues), end of semester for me and my students, exam stress, and all new students this week. Exhausting!

Pump me up, Atkins buddies...enough already with the excuses. Help a sister out, here. Good luck on the scales, everyone.

Linsy
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Sandy, if you get yourself 100% back on the wagon you'll feel great, trust me. I needed a push as well. I don't know when or why it happened, but I started being very cautious, drinking lots of water, eating 2-4 cups of veggies every day and cutting out most artificial sweetener and I'm getting great results. You can do it! It's worth it.

That being said, my weight this morning was 231, which means 3lbs lost this week and a total of 8 since the challenge began. I'm going to hit 50lbs lost pretty soon!

Edited my post because I got the advice I needed. Let's focus on the challenge!

sandyfanny
01-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I forgot to congratulate you on weight loss, Linsy. Three pounds is awesome! Way to Lose!

I weighed in yesterday afternoon. I gained a pound...not my goal at all. Thinking about what I've been eating, it figures. I used almond flour twice this week (pancakes), sugar-free preserves, ate hushpuppies at my favorite seafood dive, munched my way through a bar of dark chocolate, sugar-free chocolate pudding...the list isn't pretty.

You're right. 100% Induction, complete with water, will do it for me. At least I'm starting my day off right with bacon and an egg.

Good luck on the scales, everyone! I'm back to one meal at a time, one snack at a time...but I'm not giving up!

Twiddlebug
01-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Oops. I guess I didn't check in last week, although I did weigh myself. So, I am down 3 pounds inthe last two weeks. I KNOW I have not done well with staying on plan, but I do try to compensate by watching the calories when I mess up with the carbs.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Linsy
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Don't get too upset about your gain. It's probably just water because of the extras you've been eating this week. Eating almond flour pancakes instead of flour, sugar-free preserves instead of regular etc is still a great improvement over the alternative like white flour and full sugar foods. You're doing great! Good job starting off your day with an Induction friendly breakfast. If you can eat clean for a week then I'm sure you'll stop having problems. Good luck. :)

sandyfanny
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Linsy. I deleted my post too for the same reason you did.

So far so good today. I'm making a salad for lunch - lettuce wedge, a boiled egg, slices of crisp bacon, a sprinkling (really a sprinkle) of cheddar cheese and Ranch dressing. And I'm drinking water. Already walked the big fat dog.

I'm working for a week of clean eating...

Linsy
01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
That's great! I've been trying to improve my eating habits too. My latest challenges are eating breakfast and having 2-4 cups of veggies per day. So far so good on the veggies and this morning I actually ate breakfast which is rare.

However, I slipped up and drank about half a can of aspartame-sweetened coke zero. My mom accidentally bought it instead of regular cherry coke for them and I opened a can. Oops! I need to be extra careful to not drink it. I'm not going back down the aspartame road again, since my losses have been so good ever since I quit drinking it.

sandyfanny
01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm going to read the fine print, too, on the diet drinks I consume. Lately, I've been drinking more artificially sweetened drinks, carbonated and non-carbonated. I haven't been reading labels carefully - I just look to make sure it says sugar-free and check the carb count. That's not enough, as JerseyGyrl reminds us from time to time.

I'll try for aspartame-free this week.

Linsy
01-30-2011, 04:59 AM
I finished up most of the diet cherry coke and then dumped out the last few drinks so I wouldn't have any more. :lol: I might have a can for a special occasion like my birthday as a change from water...but aspartame is one of my major off-limits foods!

Sandy, those cheesecake muffins look great. Do they have the consistency of cheesecake or a muffin? Have you tried freezing them?

sandyfanny
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
The cream cheese muffins are very definitely a cheesecake. There's a fifteen-page thread devoted to them on Low Carb Friends...there's also a savory version with green onion and bacon. I haven't tried that version; I like to have a little dessert. Many people who like something sweet with their coffee eat them for breakfast. I'm a fan, but I have to count that cheese!

I haven't frozen any of the muffins, but other Atkins Chicks have and have been pleased with the results. There's a thread on the 2nd page (today it's on the 2nd page) where I asked about freezing them and the responses, "Freeze Cheesecake Muffins?".

yoyoma
01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, my lucky winning streak came to an end. I've been in the same weight range for the last three weeks and I knew it was only through sheer luck that my weigh-ins had been down week-over-week. This week, my official weigh in was 140.5, which is 1/2 lb up from the previous week.

The main problem is probably lack of exercise. It's been so snowy and cold that I haven't been walking and I just haven't gotten into the swing of exercising at home. I usually gain weight in the winter, so stalling is actually a form of progress for me, lol!

sandyfanny
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Yoyoma, I'm the same way. I was losing so well as long as I was walking every day. I think it also helped control my appetite, stress levels, and focus. I don't expect to lose a lot of weight between now and April...when the days will be much longer and the weather will be great. I'm going to stay on plan, but walking combined with Atkins peels it right off me. I hate indoor exercise although I'm thinking of at least trying a little yoga.

We'll make it, Yoyoma.

Linsy
01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I think I need to start adding in exercise as well. I haven't exercised since starting my plan, but some of the girls in the maintenance forum suggested weight training to help my excess skin look better at goal. I think I'm going to start a simple routine of cardio and weight training.

I've been fantasizing over "skinny girl clothes" since last night. It's a great motivator!

islandchick1
01-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi ladies :)
weigh in is still 210.
Nothing lost BUT, NOTHING gained :D
Have a great week ya'll!

Linsy
01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I made a half-batch of cheesecake muffins today. I just put about 4oz of cream cheese, an egg, a scoop of sour cream, a dash of vanilla Torani syrup and 5 Splenda packets and then baked them in miniature muffin cups. It made about 12 tiny muffins I think, so I ate one, gave one away and then popped the rest in the freezer. Each one is probably less than a carb per muffin since they're small with hardly any ingredients.

The only problem is that they taste a little bit eggy. I think it's because I used almost a whole egg (I drained some of the white) with only 4oz of cream cheese. They're still good though and will be great for a quick breakfast or an occasional treat.

sandyfanny
01-31-2011, 07:04 AM
I had another good Induction day yesterday. I got really hungry between lunch and dinner, though. I made some hot chocolate, that did it for a while, but I had to go to the grocery store for my weekly shopping. I didn't want to go hungry, and I couldn't make dinner.

So, I made myself a salad with lettuce, a boiled egg, three slices of bacon and homemade sugar-free honey mustard dressing.

That did the trick. If I stay on Induction, maybe I'll get a whoosh this weekend or sometime next week.

Here's to the Whoosh, Atkins Chicks! Have a great week.

claire0412
01-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi guys!

Can I join the challenge? I did induction for one week about three weeks ago, and lost 6lbs. Since then i've been sticking to low carb principles but every now and again splurging (when I say splurge, I mean eating a potato with dinner or having a slice of cake). My blood sugars have stayed constant more or less, so I'm happy with the physiological sides of things. However, the weight I lost has creeped back on (well 3lbs of it) and i'd like to lose it again before Valentine's Day.

I'm back on induction + handful of nuts a day and am now tee-total for at least a week. I weighed in at 149lbs today and by Valentine's Day (so 2 weeks...) I'd like to be 145lbs. Ideally I'd like to get down to 140lbs as quickly as possible so I can reach goal and start adding a few more carbs to fuel my 1/2 marathon training.

I think I can manage 4lbs in 2 weeks by:
1. Sticking to induction + handful of nuts
2. Going running 3x a week
3. Drinking at least 3l of water a day.
4. Staying off the wine (hard, hard, hard -I've just moved in with my bf and cosy nights in with wine are the new going out :) )

Good luck for the last 2 weeks everyone!

Linsy
01-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Claire, feel free to join in! Congrats on getting so close to your goal!

I have great news: As of this morning I am at 50lbs lost!! Exactly 230.0 on the dot. This also marks 9lbs lost since the challenge began...if I can manage 3 more lbs a week until Valentine's Day I can meet my goal of 224. I can feel onederland creeping up shockingly fast and I'm getting excited!

Sandy: I highly recommend freezing the cheesecake muffins. Mine are small, bite-sized ones and when I want one I just peel off the wrapper and eat it. They taste like small frozen bites of cheesecake...well technically they are, lol.

sandyfanny
01-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Fifty pounds! That's a big accomplishment!

And almost there on your challenge weight...more great news!

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: WOO HOO!!!

Linsy
02-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Thank you! I was so excited today that I told everyone "as of this morning I have lost 50lbs exactly!" :lol:

Ugh...had a pretty off-plan day today. I only wanted to have a little bit of diet coke and drank almost the whole can. For dinner, I had a bite of the wild rice soup that everyone else was having which turned into A LOT of bites that probably equaled 5-10 carbs. It really is hard to stop once you've started! Of course I got upset over something just as I sat down with my on-plan taco salad and then didn't want to eat it anymore...but when I went in the kitchen later I felt miraculously well enough to eat more of that rice soup!

It's scarily easy to slip back into bad habits. The diet coke is quickly going from "just two drinks" to having the whole can across the day, I've been drinking less water, and today I didn't feel like eating my veggies. At least I can recognize these patterns and stop them quickly. Tomorrow is water, veggies, meat, eggs, and that's ALL! No soup and no diet coke!

MaryOjo
02-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Weight as @ Jan 25: 167 (Was on vacation and couldn't get healthy meals, hope to loose the weight ASAP)
Weight as @ Feb 1: 166
Pounds Lost: 1.5
Pounds to Go: 12.5

claire0412
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone!

Well done Linsy! 50lbs, amazing! It must be a great feeling :)

I had a fairly stressful day today, alarm didn't go off and then had a surprise meeting at work straight after lessons. I had a protein shake for breakfast at 7am, and nothing until 2pm (while sitting in the staff meeting), when I had two squares of fruit and nut chocolate. There was the choice of either crisps or that chocolate, and I was so hungry so I rationalised the chocolate was a better choice and limited myself. I have just got home and rescued myself with leftovers (chicken and bamboo sprouts, mmm), handful of nuts and another protein shake. I will go for a run as soon as it has settled and drink lots of water afterwards!

Have a good day everyone :)

Peaches5577
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Starting weight as @ Jan 4th: 168.6
Weight as @ Jan 14: 167
Weight as @ Jan 18: 163.8
Weight as @ Jan 31: 166.2 (Was on vacation and ate healthy but the alchohol and lack of water messed me up)
Weight as @ Feb 1: 167.0
Valentine's Day Target: 160.0
Pounds Lost: 1.6
Pounds to Go: 7.0

I cannot believe how close we are in stats! We can do this!

MaryOjo
02-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Peaches, i can imagine how it is. We can do this, let's hang in there and not be discouraged!

sandyfanny
02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll either weigh in tomorrow or Monday on the wrestling team's scales...I hope I lose SOMETHING this week or it's my mind!

This has been a real challenge. I've lost exactly nothing, but I haven't eaten on plan very well either except for this week. I've tried really hard to eat induction, but I haven't gotten nearly enough water in. I hate it and can't get past it.

Maybe it's winter blahs or post-holiday blues, but I've had a hard time with this challenge for the entire month. :devil:

Linsy
02-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm three pounds away from making the challenge goal, but tonight I had a date with three pizza toppings (SO not a part of my plan lately) and I'm thinking the scales might be up tomorrow which is a bummer after losing about 4lbs this week. I'm trying to flush it out with water. Forget I fed you all of that cheese and sauce, body!!

Sandy, it's probably the weather. I have a tip with the water. It seems fairly obvious but what I've been doing lately is ALWAYS having water next to me. Out of habit you start to just pick it up and drink, drink, drink and then it's gone. Force yourself to get up and refill/grab another bottle.

I've also been drinking out of really big 32oz + cups. It helps because I know to reach my water goal I only need to drink two or three of them which is cake.

Good luck! I'm sure your body will cooperate and show you a loss eventually as long as you stick with it. You're doing great.

MaryOjo
02-04-2011, 04:27 AM
I want to change my weigh-in day from monday to friday, monday is always tight and i end up weghing in on tuesday, so friday is it from now on.

Weight as @ Jan 25: 167 (Was on vacation and couldn't get healthy meals, hope to loose the weight ASAP)
Weight as @ Feb 4: 164.5
Pounds Lost: 3
Pounds to Go: 11

Not likely i'll make the valentine day's target but a loss is a loss.

Peaches5577
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
MaryOjo....yes we can do this!!!! I actually have upped my fat intake like I read to do if you were at a stall and that is when I was able to move the scale. As of yesterday was 162.8 and this morning 162.6. I will take it!

sandyfanny
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I weighed in today at 199. I was at 201 last week (didn't change my ticker - too cranky!) So I'm down two pounds this week. I'll take it. I'm going to try to take Linsy's excellent advice and drink my nasty water.

At least I'm back in Onederland and saw some progress. Maybe I can make 5 pounds total for my Challenge Weigh In? I'm going to try really hard, and I'll be happy with it!

Krista
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I weighed in at 230 this morning, waiting for the 220's I get real close but never stay there :cry: and.... I totally have cabin fever, it's 20 degrees, ice slicked roads, cars batteries not turning over, I could go on and on... looking for some sunshine!

yoyoma
02-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Congrats on getting back to Wonderland, Sandy!

I weigh daily and for the past three weeks or so, I've been in the range of 139.0 to 142.5, with fluctuations that can go from one end to the other in a single day. This past week I didn't weigh myself and I was near-induction all week (had a handful of nuts on two days). Today I am happy to report 137.5, which breaks me out of that range and is down a total of 6.5 pounds for the challenge so far. :)

I'm super happy about this since I have been eating so much better on Atkins and I really have not been exercising due to the weather. It's a small miracle that I can maintain under these conditions, let alone lose!

Hubby bought a new scale (our scale is clearly getting testy and it's worse for him, presumably bc he weighs more). It clocked me at 138.4 this morning. I guess I will start using the new scale for my ticker, and I round up, so that puts me at 139 on the ticker.

In other news, today is my daughter's birthday, and I think dinner is just going to have to be off-plan -- my first true off-plan meal since I started practice Atkins. Her favorite is Chinese buffet, and while there are a very few things there that I can eat on-plan, I've decided to play a "get out of jail" card tonight. I've been on plan for breakfast and lunch and plan on getting right back on tomorrow.

Linsy
02-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Weighed in at 227, but I know I'll be back down to 226 pretty soon since I've seen it on the scale. I've lost 12lbs since the challenge started, so I need to lost 3 more by Valentine's day. My own little personal self challenge (created right now) is to get down to 219 by March 1.

yoyoma
02-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Update on the Chinese buffet -- I've been avoiding them like the plague, despite my family's preference for them. There are a lot of noodles, breadings, dumplings, rice (including sushi) and sweet/thickened sauces.
I thought the Atkins-friendly choices would be so restricted that I would just chuck in the towel and go on a dumpling-induced carb binge. Then I would have trouble getting back on track due to the cycle of carb cravings...

But, now that I was seeking them out, I found lots of Atkins-friendly dishes, and a few favorites that weren't ridiculously far astray...

For veggies, the place we went had sauteed baby spinach (yum!!), cracked pepper zucchini, and sauteed green beans. While the debate on green beans themselves rages, they were all prepared in an Atkins-friendly manner.

Lots of Atkins-friendly seafood-- baked fish, poached salmon, steamed clams, crab legs, shrimp. There was also an Atkins friendly roast beef and a few meats that had some sugar added, but seemed like a not-outrageous amount: true spare ribs (in addition to the no-no gloppy vibrant red boneless variety) and chicken skewers.

I stayed away from the dumplings and I skipped the desserts without feeling the least bit deprived! I did eat more than I normally would, but I don't expect any lasting carb kickback, so I feel confident that I won't be derailed by an outing to this Chinese buffet any more! Woohoo!!!

sandyfanny
02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Congratulations, Yoyoma, for handling that Chinese buffet like a champ! Aren't you glad you didn't eat all that sugar and starch and blow up like the New Year's dragon?! Good job!

Linsy, you're doing great! Some of us are struggling, but WE ARE NOT GIVING UP! That may have to be my biggest victory this challenge.

:hug:

islandchick1
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
weighed 208 on Sat

sandyfanny
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Islandchick, you're doing great! You're going to be a real, slinky little mermaid in no time!

MaryOjo
02-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Weight as @ Feb 4: 164.5
Weight as @ Feb 11: 163.3
Pounds Lost: 4.2
Pounds to Go: 9.8

Linsy
02-11-2011, 05:04 AM
I haven't lost a thing this week and I only need 3 more pounds before Valentine's Day to get to the challenge goal of 15lbs. I'm hoping for a whoosh!

Twiddlebug
02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I am quite certain I won't be losing 5 pounds by tomorrow, but every pound I have lost is one step closer...

Linsy
02-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I've lost 1 this week, putting me at 13/15. I'll see what the scale says tomorrow.

MaryOjo
02-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Weight as @ Feb 14: 163.3
Pounds Lost: 4.2
Pounds to Go: 9.8
I didn't achieve the target of 14pounds but the team motivated me to stay focused and i lost 4.2pounds which isn't bad at all. Thanks y'all for the words of support and encouragement.

yoyoma
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I weighed in at 138.8 on the new scale today. That is up 1/2 lb from last week, but the ticker stays at 139. That puts me down 5 lbs for the challenge (6 lbs really, bc of the scale switcheroo). I am very happy with that!

Winter is a tough time of year. Congrats to everyone who made progress towards their goal!

I hope someone starts a new challenge... May Day? Easter? First Day of Spring? Anyone got a choice?

Linsy
02-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I just weighed, and I literally JUST made the challenge goal. I whooshed down to 224 and am at exactly 15 pounds lost since the challenge start! I think the same thing happened with the Christmas challenge too. What a fantastic Valentine's Day gift! :yay:

I just realized that I have less than 100 pounds to go now!

claire0412
02-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone!

I ended the challenge at 148lbs, so I didn't come even close. I was away snowboarding and deep snow hiking last weekend, and cracked after 4 days and ate carbs. A lot of carbs. Since then, I've found it impossible to get back ont he wagon and I definitely don't want to go back to phase one. I've decided to try South Beach instead, so still low carb but not so low. Everyone has to find the right diet for them, and I definitely think low carb is the way to go for me. I just lack the willpower to stick to very low carb :)

Good luck to everyone for the challenges ahead :)

sandyfanny
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Congratulations to everyone on their Valentine's Day Challenge successes!

WOO HOO!! WAY TO GO!

Apparently, I love to eat more than I love myself. I ended the challenge by GAINING FIVE POUNDS!!!

It's not surprising since I fell off the wagon, not in big ways, but little ways almost every day the last two weeks. I think I got really disappointed in myself and let it get into my head. And I got into sugar and couldn't get off...not lots of sugar, but enough to mess with my head and my body.

So, we'll see where I go from here. I hope it's right back on Atkins. I just want to eat everything in sight...whether I even like it or not. I just want to eat. The biggest change I made was eating flaxseed muffins every day thinking it would be a good thing. Maybe it wasn't? Anybody had a hard fall during eating one minute muffins regularly for two weeks?

Linsy
02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I think the muffins can cause you to overeat. I'm going through something similar, I got like 5 bags of sugar-free candy and my free shipment of Atkins bars on Valentine's Day. Yesterday it took everything in me to stop myself from devouring half of it! I'm trying to limit myself to 1-2 pieces per week, but since it tastes exactly like the "real" thing it's hard to do that. Last night I put it in a box and closed it and today the cravings aren't so bad. Maybe it's because putting it in the box mentally "sealed" it off?

Maybe you should try only eating 1-2 muffins a week, like I'm doing with the sugar-free candy. You've been on Atkins for a long time and made great progress without them, so you can go without them again. Try to think of them like a treat. I try not to eat them too much either...I worry about them stalling me.

Whenever I'm faced with something like this, I try to remember what's most important to me. Sure the Atkins bars and sugar-free candy are good, but what is more important? Good food or my weight loss? Obviously if I didn't care about my weight loss I'd just be eating a lot of the real sugar candy instead of limiting myself to a few pieces of the sugar-free. If eating too much of the sugar-free candy will affect my weight loss (just like the real candy would), isn't that counterproductive? Thinking of it like that gives me the power to try limit it to a very rare treat instead of an every day indulgence. I'm still working on it. It's tough.

You can do it Sandy. The Easter challenge is your challenge! Plus, it's one of the only Atkins friendly holidays (boiled eggs)! :lol:

sandyfanny
02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you, Linsy, for the encouragement. I'm trying hard to dust myself off and get it again. You're probably right about the flaxseed muffins; I don't love them, but they're so handy and they keep things moving along nicely. I hate to give that up. But if they're intensifying or triggering cravings, I have to do without for sure.

islandchick1
02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I didn't quite meet my goal, but I still love myself :lol: Congrats to everyone who did!