Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Red face eating low carb/high fat without following any "named" plan - anyone else?

I had weight loss surgery almost 2 years ago and have lost about 115 pounds, but I still have a good 40+ more pounds I'd like to lose. I find I do best when I am eating low in carbs and high in fat, but I'm not following any certain plan from a book, just tracking my macronutrient intake. I'm having a hard time finding a very active online community for this and don't want to join a group for a specific diet that I'm not really following that just happens to be similar (such as Atkins) because there are always weird rules associated with different plans that I do not follow. The weight loss surgery community is full of folks who eat way less fat and way smaller portions than me, so that doesn't really work for me, either.

I'd like to have a place to post my daily menus and share with others for ideas. Anyone else?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing something similar for a while. It's more of Paleo-esque than low-carb. I don't monitor carbs...I just don't eat carby foods. :P

Anyway, have you looked at the LowCarber forums? Many (many many) people there follow a high-fat/low-carb diet without any book. People are pretty accepting in those parts as long as what you're doing works. =)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I like the term Paleo-esque. I call what I do Primal-ish and follow this thread ... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb...an-2011-a.html
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #4  

I had to give up defining myself by my diet, it just wasn't working for me. I eat low carb because that is what makes me feel my very best overall. I get irritated over "rules" and I am working this year on mindfulness in eating to finish my goal to a normal weight and be able to transition from dieting by the numbers to eating naturally within the low carb framework. I would love to find a more general type forum that is active too. We could try to keep this thread alive!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #5  
lanee

S/C/G: 225/215/140

Height: 5'2 1/2

I like the low carb idea without all the rules.. Like for Atkins etc.. Sort of like for SB too.. A cross between both.. Low carb and low sugar.. I have lost 10 lbs. so far.. In 4 weeks.. But have a long way to go!! 75 more lbs. to get to goal weight..
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/198/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Me, too!

Hello -

A have read the Atkins book, and it seemed way too extreme for me. I also read a book called Protein Power, and the information made sense. The recipes and guidelines of South Beach make way more sense, but I don't follow the plan very closely. I guess I just don't want to be that rigid.

South Beach really emphasizes the importance of vegetables, and I agree with that. It also includes beans, like pintos and black beans. I think they are a very healthful food to eat and I include them in my rotation of weekly meals.

I have successfully lost weight following a general higher protein, low carb approach. The hardest part is when I don't plan ahead and eat whatever is convenient or when I eat out or at somebody's house.

Anyway, I lost five pounds before the holidays and I am trying to get back to the good habits I had going in the fall.

I know what element would really help me accelerate my progress - more exercise!

Last edited by ChicoryCat; 01-09-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #7  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Hi there Jill..

I saw your post asking about a low carb/higher fat type diet. I was wondering if you ever really found a group to talk with?

I've been trying to figure out what type of plan to follow and that's really what I was thinking as well. I want to do an Atkins "like" plan. I'll eat meat and veggies, but I want to keep a limited amount of carbs such as whole wheat bread (tiny bit of pasta possibly), oatmeal and fruit as well.

I lost almost 50 lbs on MRC almost 3 years ago. I kept it off until the beginning of last year. I managed to gain 25-30 lbs in 2010. I tried several plans last year (MRC a few times again, HCG 3 times, Atkins once, etc, etc)..

I know the HCG works but it's so restrictive and I could never stick to it more than 3 weeks. Then when you go off it's HORRIBLE for gaining weight FAST (plus you can't exercise). I like Atkins but I need some bread and fruit.

I want to do something that allows me to still eat some higher fat foods and any meat I want (as well as cheese and cream), but still be able to exercise and have some carbs as well.

I'd love to share information and try and keep a thread going with you (or just message privately). Please let me know what you think. Take care.

Rocki

Last edited by Rocki; 01-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #8  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

thank you for posting this!

I was just looking for a "place" I've just started eating very low carb to kill the cravings (sorta like SB) but have no real plan. I'm starting to feel the no carb "flu" and wasn't sure where to post.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

HELLO! I lost weight doing atkins to the letter years ago and it worked well. I have tried it again recently and found it to be too extreme, especially with the level of exercise that I do..SO I have decided to take this into my own hands and do it my way. So far so good. I am not counting net carbs, simply trying to make good choices..no bread, pasta or rice, lots of protein, salad and vegetables. So far it is working and I don't have that shakey feeling....

I miss fruit and intend on adding that back into my diet as soon as I get to a better place with my cravings.

I have read almost every diet book written the past ten years and I have to say...Perricone diet, South beach, Atkins...it all comes down to the same thing...lower carbs, higher protein, LOTS of vegetables and water.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

What, do you mean you people want to follow a diet of your own devising? One based on your own informed choices & from your having educated yourself about food choices & having learned what works best for you as an individual?

Are you crazy?

Didn't you know you have to be inducted into a specific cult & follow a particular guru & obey all rules to the letter & consult with sacred texts & debate their meaning with fellow devotees to lose weight?

Why, if you people have your way, what would become of the wealthy Diet Industry?

Crazy talk, I tell you.

Crazy!!!!!

[/ALT: humor. This is what I did myself to lose about 107 pounds.]

Last edited by saef; 01-12-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

LOLOLOL...saef...yes, I guess I am crazy. I failed at trying to do this "myself" so many times.....but over the years I have gotten to know people who stay thin and they have a common thread. They have a lifestyle that they adopted and it has nothing to do with any particular diet, supplement, book, guru, et. They know what works for them. I want to be that like those people.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
What, do you mean you people want to follow a diet of your own devising? One based on your own informed choices & from your having educated yourself about food choices & having learned what works best for you as an individual?

Are you crazy?

Didn't you know you have to be inducted into a specific cult & follow a particular guru & obey all rules to the letter & consult with sacred texts & debate their meaning with fellow devotees to lose weight?

Why, if you people have your way, what would become of the wealthy Diet Industry?

Crazy talk, I tell you.

Crazy!!!!!

[/ALT: humor. This is what I did myself to lose about 107 pounds.]

Too funny! You are my hero of the day!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocki View Post
Hi there Jill..

I saw your post asking about a low carb/higher fat type diet. I was wondering if you ever really found a group to talk with?

I've been trying to figure out what type of plan to follow and that's really what I was thinking as well. I want to do an Atkins "like" plan. I'll eat meat and veggies, but I want to keep a limited amount of carbs such as whole wheat bread (tiny bit of pasta possibly), oatmeal and fruit as well.

I lost almost 50 lbs on MRC almost 3 years ago. I kept it off until the beginning of last year. I managed to gain 25-30 lbs in 2010. I tried several plans last year (MRC a few times again, HCG 3 times, Atkins once, etc, etc)..

I know the HCG works but it's so restrictive and I could never stick to it more than 3 weeks. Then when you go off it's HORRIBLE for gaining weight FAST (plus you can't exercise). I like Atkins but I need some bread and fruit.

I want to do something that allows me to still eat some higher fat foods and any meat I want (as well as cheese and cream), but still be able to exercise and have some carbs as well.

I'd love to share information and try and keep a thread going with you (or just message privately). Please let me know what you think. Take care.

Rocki
Rocki,

I know that you and the others might be interested in doing it your own way, but wanted to make you aware of another option, where you still get to do it your own way within certain limits. There is a limited carb, low sugar plan that has lots of flexibility built into it. You are allowed 6 servings of carbs per day, a serving being 20 carbs or less, but only 15 grams of sugar, only five grams at any one time. The idea is to control insulin response. The only other restriction is no saccharin, aspartame or Splenda. It's called Belly Fat Cure.

There is a thread under other low carb, if you're interested.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #14  
Shrinkinglady

S/C/G: 172/153/139

Height: 5'2"

Thank you so much for writing about this issue. i have also been following my own plan at this time, with limited carbs, alot of veggies and some healthy protein-mostly fish. I will be better able to discern how much weight I ahve lost when I weigh again on Feb. 14th as my daily weigh ins became like a visit with an enemy due to frequent fluctuations. I also am exercising up a storm, which I had not done for 6 months. Maybe we can call this thread "I do it my way".
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #15  

I did Atkins, following every rule 5 years ago. I'm starting again with some differences, eating slightly more carbs and some foods that aren't allowed on induction, I just count the carbs (net). I'm also not doing induction this time, I'm just doing a single plan the whole way through. That said, I still consider myself an "Atkins dieter", since the "ideas" for my meals/avoiding carbs came from his book. Am I wrong?
Closed Thread