South Beach Diet - On Plan Thread - Dec. 27, 2010-Jan. 2, 2011

BellaLucia
12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan! This is the place for South Beach meal plan and food support, encouragement and questions.

Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so!

This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.

People in different phases of South Beach post here so it will help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!

While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum.

So, share with us: How are you staying on plan this week?

Water: 8 cups
2 bananas with 20 peanuts
Stew with meat
Stew with meat
Stew with meat

Juliann95
12-27-2010, 07:51 AM
I sat down yesterday and made a food plan for the week consisting of lunches and dinners. Being my first week I'm hoping by doing this it will help me from grazing. I need to head back to the grocery storre today to finsish up the grocery list for the week.

i made a big bowl of chicken salad yesterday and threw in some veggies. i'm hoping by having a plan for the week will help me stay on track.

CyndiM
12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Phase 1.5 (no grains)
B: refried beans, spinach & salsa
S: tangerine
L: veggie soup, veggie burger
S:hummus & carrots
D: white beans, veggie sausage, veggies (I'm making this up as I go along ;))

exercise: EA Sports 9 week challenge Day 1 (restarting because I was away so much), shoveling

Ruthxxx
12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Phase II
B. Fibre 1, 1 T. ground flax, ff sf yogurt, 3 prunes
L. beef stew with carrots, green beans, mushrooms, chocolate ricotta cream
D. spinach and cucumber salad with chick peas and 2 hard boiled eggs
one glass of red wine with lunch

Lexxiss
12-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Phase 2

B-Greens smoothie (blueberries, spinach, cucumber, protein powder and greens powder), and vitamins

L- Salad (greens, arugula, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, celery, serving of nuts, shredded chicken)

S-hummus w/celery

D-Ezekiel pizza (chopped zucchini, onion, olives, garlic, 1/4 c part skim mozzerela) and leftover salad

S-Whole wheat pita chips

Before bed-Cara Cara orange

I need to buy yogurt

Usernametaken
12-28-2010, 05:09 PM
b-green smoothie
L-flatout pizza w/ mushrooms and parmesan
S-yogurt w/ half a banana, 1 t pb, bit of almond milk
D-pork chop with braised red cabbage
S-Clementine
Probably won't post tomorrow. My stepdaughter is making dinner all by herself for the first time, so I'll probably have to go off plan a bit. So excited to see her cooking :)

zeffryn
12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
today:

1: scrambled eggs, asparagus, greek yogurt
2: asian chicken salad - probably off plan, but a better option than a burger and fries. it was off plan because of the dressing, but had lots of good veggies
3: pork tenderloin, brussels sprouts with shallots, spinach salad with tomatoes, red bell peppers and carrots

workout: 45 min. treadmill

it is DS2's 2nd birthday tomorrow - I'm making french toast and yogurt with berries. I'll probably make a smoothie for myself because we're going to the gym. can't wait to try out a new class called Strike - it is a kickboxing/strength fusion class that uses weighted bars during kickboxing moves.

murphmitch
12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Phase I

B: V8, 2 boiled eggs
S: RF Cheese stick
L: Veggie soup, veggies, hummus
S: Deli meat
D: Chicken breast, sauteed veggies, RF cheese
S: Almond butter

Bellissa
12-28-2010, 11:11 PM
PHASE I, day 1
B: Cheese, turkey bacon and egg breafast cups (2 small)
S: 1 slice l/f Colby Jack cheese
L: Romaine lettuce, 1 can tuna, balamic vinnegarette, 1/3c shredded cheddar cheese
S: 15 Almonds
D: Turkey leg 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

~60 oz Brita filtered water. xD
1cup herbal (peppermint) tea to help my anxiety attack. No sweetener.

My oopsies: Homemade frappuccino the boyfriend made to cheer me up
-Very little full fat Caramel sauce, fat free whipped cream, skim milk, instant Sbux Via, ice. (~240cal)
-3 Andies chocolates (60 cal)

Did not go to gym but had a lot of intense cleaning to do in the apartment about 3 hours worth!

zeffryn
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
today is baby boy's birthday. time has gone way too fast. i'm sad that i can't have those baby moments back to savor a bit longer.

P2

1: plain yogurt with some vanilla and agave, mixed berries, pecans
2: 1/2 chipotle salad (romaine, peppers and onions, black beans, chicken, salsa, a bit of cheese)
3: salad when we go for dinner with the fam

exercise: 60 min. strength/kickboxing class

I'm officially in the normal weight range. I have no idea what to think now since I've been overweight or obese my entire adult (and probably most of my childhood) life. I don't know how much further I want to go. I hit my December goal of 8 lbs. and will probably eek out maybe another pound before the end of the year. Maybe another 20 lbs? Gosh, that number seems so attainable now.

Bellissa
12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
^Zeffryn:Time does go so fast. I have no children of my own, but I can't believe how fast my niece and nephews grow!

Phase 1, Day 2

B: Cheese, turkey bacon and egg breakfast cups (2 small)
S: 1 slice l/f Colby Jack cheese, Low sodium V-8
L: Chipotle salad; Romaine lettuce, black beans, fresh tomato salsa (tomato &onion), very small amount of cheese if any.
S: 15 Whole Almonds
D: Shrimp and romaine salad, just the lettuce

Usernametaken
12-29-2010, 04:49 PM
B-pb banana smoothie
L-spinach feta wrap, leftover sesame soy cabbage, clementine
D-sbd meatloaf, veggies, fruit salad (mango and strawberry)

Stepdaughter is making dinner and dessert, so I will probably have a small slice blueberry pie.

Zef-big grats on the weightloss!

murphmitch
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Phase I

B: Veggie omelet
S: RF cheese stick
L: Huge salad, grilled chicken, kidney beans
S: Skinny latte, RF cheese stick
D: Black Bean Chili, grilled veggies, had a few pieces of venison from the grill (It was very lean & very tasty!)

zeffryn
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
P2

1: whole wheat toast spread with mustard, topped with spinach and 2 scrambled eggs
2: spinach salad with tomatoes, bell peppers and 3 oz. beef tenderloin
3: chicken and veggie soup
4: greek yogurt

exercise: 60 min. body pump class, 25 min. treadmill interval workout

Heidi58
12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
:broc: congratulations Zeffryn! :broc:

My holiday fun is officially over now and I'm getting 100% back on plan today. Thankfully, I didn't do any damage over the holidays but I did get kind of lazy.

B: steel cut oats, milk, splenda and a glass of v8
S: veggies and hummus
L: southwestern spaghetti squash
S: almonds and hot tea
D: grilled chicken, baked squash and steamed broccoli
I'll have a milky beverage sometime this afternoon or evening and a SF jello if my husband's m&m's start looking too inviting this evening.

Exercise: wii fit and hooping

BellaLucia
12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Beans
Vegetable soup
Banana
Banana
Vegetable soup
Meats: 4

murphmitch
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Phase II

B: V8, 2 boiled eggs
S: RF cheese stick
L: Salad, grilled chicken
S: Skinny latte, carrots, hummus, RF cheese stick
D: Crock Pot Creamy Mexican casserole (Adore this recipe!)

Usernametaken
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
b-egg white and veggie omlette w/ english muffin
s-nsa frozen yogurt
l-yogurt berry smoothie, broccoli with tofu dip, small bowl of chicken soup
D-tbd. Will probably snack on veggies and hummus, maybe make another fruit smoothie if I get a craving for something sweet.

zeffryn
12-31-2010, 09:02 AM
p2

1: 1/2 banana w/ 2 tsp. almond butter, greek yogurt with pomegranate arils
2: house salad (micro greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, pepperoncini and olives), grilled salmon (oh my yum!)
3: salad (arugula, spinach, a few gorgonzola crumbles, tomatoes, red onions and a few pieces of beef tenderloin)
4: glass of wine before a movie with DH :)

exercise: 60 min. step class

shelflife
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Here's the plan for my first two days...

Jan 1 (P1, D1):
Wt 179
B: Turkey patty with tomato, egg, and f/f cheese slice. 5.5oz can of low-sodium V8.
Sn: 2 celery stalks & hummus
L: Broccoli soup (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/soups-stews-phase-1/51890-broccoli-cheese-soup-daily-dish.html) x 2 bowls with a half cup of unsweetened So Good.
Sn: 15 Almonds
S: Taco bake (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/38592-taco-bake-phase-i.html) x1.5 servings
Sn: Sugar-free popsicle x2
✓ Vitamin
✓ Omega-3s

Jan 2 (P1, D2):
Wt: 177.5
B: Break-Free scrambled with light feta & spinach and low-sodium V8
Sn: Missed
L: Broccoli soup with bean salad
Sn: 30 Pistachios
S: Spinach & chicken casserole (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/55340-best-chicken-spinach-casserole.html) with red bean mash (http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-recipe/red-bean-mash.aspx).
Sn: ?Popsicle
Exercise: 1 mile walk, 20 minutes Arc trainer
✓ Vitamin
✓ Omega-3s

Feedback appreciated! Please let me know if it sounds like there's enough food here (or too much!), and if you have any suggestions in general. I'm home for the first three days so I have time to do some prep and get into this before real life starts on the 4th and it's go-go-go!

Usernametaken
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
shelflife-Your menu looks good to me. welcome to the beach
b-green smoothie with banana, strawberry, mango
L-scrambled eggs with spinach, broccoli, and a little cheese on ww toast
S-lf cottage cheese
D-steak, lots of brussel sprouts, maybe some ancient grains risoto if I'm feeling motivated

zeffryn
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
shelflife, the only thing I can recommend is taking a look at the ingredient list in the yogurt. most sugar-free, fat-free flavored yogurts are full of fillers - steer clear of yogurts that use starches to thicken it. fat-free plain is the way to go during phase 1. if you don't care for the flavor, a bit of flavoring can be added with extracts, sugar-free flavored syrups (the coffee kind), or even sugar-free jello powder.

good luck and welcome to the beach!

BellaLucia
12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Beans
Beans
Beans
Stew w/fish
Stew w/fish
Vegetable soup

shelflife
12-31-2010, 09:08 PM
shelflife, the only thing I can recommend is taking a look at the ingredient list in the yogurt. most sugar-free, fat-free flavored yogurts are full of fillers - steer clear of yogurts that use starches to thicken it. fat-free plain is the way to go during phase 1. if you don't care for the flavor, a bit of flavoring can be added with extracts, sugar-free flavored syrups (the coffee kind), or even sugar-free jello powder.

good luck and welcome to the beach!

Thanks for the tip! The yogurt I bought (Source by Yoplait) was indeed thickened with cornstarch and had 4g of sugar... you were right on the mark! I guess I'll have to do some menu editing. I've only counted calories before, so worrying about carbs is totally new!

Thanks again... and congrats on your progress! Very inspiring!

zeffryn
01-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the tip! The yogurt I bought (Source by Yoplait) was indeed thickened with cornstarch and had 4g of sugar... you were right on the mark! I guess I'll have to do some menu editing. I've only counted calories before, so worrying about carbs is totally new!

Thanks again... and congrats on your progress! Very inspiring!

Most of the sugar in yogurt is because of the lactose which is ok on SB. It's tricky with yogurt because you have to read the ingredients list to make sure there aren't any ADDED sugars (fructose, HFCS, corn syrup, sugar, etc.).

Something marked all-natural plain will probably be your best bet in this situation. Dannon makes one that, last I checked anyway, is on plan.

zeffryn
01-01-2011, 09:00 AM
plan for today? STAYING on plan! My mom was like a drug dealer last night with her sugar and junk food, I did steer clear of it for the most part but I did have two drinks which are causing me to bloat a bit this morning. Lots of water and on-plan foods for me today, I think I'll do a few days of P1 to make sure everything goes according to plan.

Going to a restaurant this morning. Good thing they are awesome about substitutions!

P1

1: scrambled eggs, small side salad, black bean salsa
2: string cheese
exercise
3: greek yogurt
4: beef tenderloin, salad, veggie tbd

exercise: treadmill intervals - 60 min.

CyndiM
01-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Phase 1.5, avoiding grains for a couple of weeks

B: Hemp smoothie with almond milk, pumpkin or berries, greens powder & chia
S: apple
L: giant salad with hummus, rf cheese stick
D: Creole black-eyed peas (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/01/creole-black-eyed-peas.html) with collard greens mixed in, raw kale salad

exercise: EA workout, walk outside

Heidi58
01-01-2011, 09:45 AM
B: v8, yogurt & chia seeds
L: chicken chili, broccoli salad
S: tangerine, hot tea
D: southwestern spaghetti squash, SF jello or pudding
a milky beverage sometime this afternoon/evening

Exercise: wii fit strength routine, walk outdoors. :)

I've slipped back into the diet soda/Crystal Light routine again over the holidays. I'm going to focus on drinking lots of water again this weekend.

Ruthxxx
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Ph. II
B. Yogurt, apple and ground flax seed
L. turkey and ww noodle soup with lots of veggies
D. pork tenderloin, something with black beans and sauerkraut or cabbage

I'll be snacking on walnuts and will allow myself a single glass of wine at the levee this afternoon.

zeffryn
01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Just a mention about how much I love South Beach and how easy it is to eat on plan with just a bit of creativity. Most restaurants will make substitutions if you just ask. I went out with my family to breakfast this morning, the restaurant we went isn't exactly known for healthy food (but soooooo good). I looked at the menu before we left and had a good idea of what I would order.

When we got to the restaurant, I ordered a roasted veggie scramble with egg whites instead of whole eggs, a side salad instead of toast and some black bean salsa on the side to have with my eggs. the waitress looked at me a little funny when I suggested a salad at 8:30 in the morning, but did it no problem.

Point? Look at the menu, if they use an ingredient in another dish, they can almost always include it in yours. Sometimes there will be a small upcharge, but most places will do it for no additional cost.

Usernametaken
01-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Welcome to 2011 everyone
B-green smoothie
L-spinach salad with broccoli, yellow peppers, and cilantro yogurt dressing, small cup of chicken soup
D-flatout with hummus, spinach, bell peppers, a little cheese, and some frank's red hot

CyndiM
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Phase 1.5

B: leftover chili with scrambled egg
S: clementine
L: huge salad with hummus
S: Greek yogurt w/applesauce & chia
D: tofurkey roast with roasted veggies, Italian beans

exercise: EA workout, 30m cardio (bike or treadmill)

Ruthxxx
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Phase II
B. skipped - I know! I know! but BGL was fine
L. Turkey soup with veggies and ww noodles, orange and yogurt
D. Stir fried veggies with either pork tenderloin or shrimp, depending on what I can dig out of the freezer, brown nd wild rice pilaf
WATER - I've been lax and my skin shows it.

BellaLucia
01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Beans
Beans
Banana
Banana
Banana

Mmckellen
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Back here...doing Phase 1 and counting points plus.

b: cup of plain low fat kefir
s: 2 hb eggs with 1 tbsp. low fat mayo and 3 lettuce leaves
l: 2 low fat all beef hot dogs with carrots
s: roasted chick peas
d: spagetti squash casserole with turkey pepperoni

will add points total tomorrow (stuff is at work)

CyndiM
01-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Mathilda! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were. Good to see you :)

I'm dabbling in points plus too, three months online just to see if a different structure helps keep me in line. I'm layering that on top of SBD principles. I'll be curious to hear what you think.

sophie
01-02-2011, 11:48 AM
phase 2

b - fibre one with almond milk
l - lentil soup
s - yogurt with berries and a cappuccino
s - roasted chicken with sugar snap peas and a salad
s - ?

starting on my yoga dvd today

Heidi58
01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
B: yogurt with raspberries & chia seeds
S: v8 and almonds
L: southwest spaghetti squash
S: hummus & red pepper strips
D: chicken stir fry
milky beverage in the evening

Exercise: Did the wii fit plus this morning, I'll either walk this afternoon or get the hoop out. It's nice outside but so wet.

Still working on getting back into the water routine.

zeffryn
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
had brunch with the family this morning - it wasn't pretty but I'm hitting the treadmill hard this afternoon. i can't wait to be home and back in my routine, being out of it is killing my diet.