Veggie Challenged - Brussel Sprouts are my new best friend!

bonnnie
12-23-2010, 09:44 AM
So, I was never fond of brussel sprouts in the past. But, I found this new simple recipe, and I cannot stop dreaming about more brussel sprouts! It is really easy and all the ingredients are things you already have at home!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html?ref=health#Maple-Roasted_Brussels_Sprouts_With_Toasted_Hazelnuts

This dish is good without toasted hazelnuts, if you don't have any. Also, you don't need SO much olive oil, just a little drizzle.... same with the syrup, you just need to drizzle it. This recipe is totally for anyone who doesn't like veggies and for children as well!

nelie
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I actually don't like sweet things much but I do something similar with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

rainbowsmiles
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
sounds yummy.....thanks for sharing...i think i'll make this for christmas dinner!! :)

darway
12-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Oddly enough, when I was a picky kid and my parents had touble getting me to eat my veggies... Brussel sprouts were one of the few things I liked.

It seems like they get a bad rap. People do not like the way they smell when cooked, or they generate digestive gas.

But I try to keep a bag handy, and toss a few into any soup that I make. I eat them near the end, to make sure they've had plenty of time to soak up the broth and become pulpy and tasty. :hungry:

LandonsBaby
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I have never made brussel sprouts but I was just thinking there must be a way to make them tasty. I'm going to try this way. Can I use frozen? And, could I get away with putting the maple syrup on in the beginning?

fatmac
01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Brussels sprouts are my new favorite vegetable!

I don't use syrup at all. I cut them in half and saute in 1T olive oil; sprinkle with salt. YUM!

reptogirl
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
brussell sprouts are one of my all time fav veggie, they are really good baked with some cabbage onions etc...like a roast with onion soup mix...yummmmm

xXLosingItXx
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Oh, I love Brussels sprouts! I've only eaten them one way before, but I loved it, and could eat it anyday, any time! I have the recipe if anyone would like to try it out :D

Portions: 25 (Portion size: 3 oz [90 g])

U.S / Metric

3 lb - 1.4 Kg Carrots
1.5 lb - 600 g Parsnips
2.5 lb - 1 Kg Turnips
1.5 lb - 600 g Brussels Sprouts
3 oz - 90 g Butter
2 oz - 60 g Suger
to taste Salt

- Procedure

1. Trim and peel carrots, parsnips, and turnips; dice all ingredients uniformly. Remove outer layer of brussel sprouts and cut a cross at the base. Do not cut in half, and bussel sprout should not split. (Tip from me. This is only so that when you cook it, it gets tender both inside and out. You don't want to cut it in half, or it'll get really mushy and fall apart.)

2. Place the vegetables in a saucepan with boiling salted water to cover. Simmer until tender. Drain.

3. Heat the butter in a saute pan. Add the vegetables and sprinkle with sugar. Season to taste in salt. Saute until the vegetables are well glazed.

- Variations

Single vegetables as well as other combinations of vegetables may be glazed by this method, including celery root, pearl onions, rutabagas and chestnuts, in addition to carrots, parsnips and turnips.

- Per Serving

Calories, 90; Protein, 1 g; Fat, 3 g(30% cal); Cholesterol 5 mg; Carbohydrates. 15 ; Fiber, 4 g; Sodium, 85 mg.

If something doesn't make sense, just let me know.
It's a recipe from my school textbook, so it might not make sense, I don't know. From experience...it's VERY yummy. I can never eat veggies alone, and I would down this any day. It's sweet, but not overpowering, and ugh...I want it NOW!

amandie
02-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I discovered brussel sprouts about 6 months ago- they are SO good! I like it sauteed with a little mixture of olive oil and 0 calorie butter spray (for the buttery flavor) and lemon juice/lemon pepper. Really good with caramelized onions and broccoli stir-fry.

MoniqueDiet
06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Mmmm...sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Esofia
06-09-2011, 04:36 AM
As far as I know, there are two problems with brussel sprouts.

1) They need a short cooking time, and are easily overcooked. This tends to make them a poor choice for big family meals, school dinners and the like, which is where most people get put off them for life. Doing a better job of cooking them should solve this one.

2) Apparently there's a genetic component. There's a bitter taste in brussel sprouts, and some people have the gene where they can taste it while others don't have the gene and think they taste fine. There's nothing you can do about this one.

amandie
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
interesting tidbit about #2, Esofia! Am REALLY glad I don't have that gene! lol

kaplods
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I absolutely hated brussels sprouts growing up, but then discovered roasting (I shake quartered or half sprouts in a little bit of oil, sprinkle on some dried seasoning - such as ranch dressing powder, and roast at 400 degrees until the edges are crisp).

Gosh, they're addictive that way.

thinner
06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
i love brussel sprouts and my tastes run more like butter (smart balance) melted over it with some fresh grated parmesean cheese, fresh ground black pepper, maybe even a few flakes of crushed red pepper. any combination of olive oil, spices, lemon juice.

Serval87
06-09-2011, 11:06 PM
I used to saute them in bacon grease ... not the healthiest option, but pretty tasty.

kaplods, I have all those ingredients in my kitchen, so I think I will try that soon. Thanks!

josey
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
As far as I know, there are two problems with brussel sprouts.

1) They need a short cooking time, and are easily overcooked. This tends to make them a poor choice for big family meals, school dinners and the like, which is where most people get put off them for life. Doing a better job of cooking them should solve this one.

2) Apparently there's a genetic component. There's a bitter taste in brussel sprouts, and some people have the gene where they can taste it while others don't have the gene and think they taste fine. There's nothing you can do about this one.

Really? Overcooked brusselsprouts are not yucky! I sautee them in a little bit of oil, add a little bit of water and then add salt & pepper. That's all. They need to be soft and a bit mushy to make a nice sauce.

Brusselsprouts should rules the world by the way!!

Never heard of the genetic component. Interesting. That should explain why my bf hates them with a passion!
He loves spinach though which I loathe! So whenever we have brusselsprouts or spinach the other one gets spinach or brusselsprouts or vice versa. :-)

amandie
06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Josey- That sucks you don't like spinach, so much nutritious! Is it canned/cooked spinach (yuckkkkkk) or fresh baby spinach that you don't like? I love baby spinach, very neutral in taste- I use it in smoothies, sandwiches and sometimes on homemade pizzas (that's the only "cooked" spinach I can tolerate.) Sorry to hijack since this is about brussel sprouts but had to share!

josey
06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Beware spinach content yuuhuck

@amandie hate, hate, hate spinach in any form and recipe. I eat some if I have to but never by choice. Must be genetic too since I think the taste is quite intense. Only veg I don't eat.

lauralyn
06-11-2011, 07:08 AM
A few nights a week I cut up cauliflower and brussel sprouts, coat with olive oil, toss a bit of garlic on them and put them in the oven to bake. I LOVE them.

jillnicole03
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I've had this also, very yummy, but I changed the maple syrup to hoison garlic sauce/or teriyaki and added fresh chopped garlic... sooooo good!

kidjng
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I adore them as well!

I think you need to roast brussels sprouts for about 20 minutes or so to get rid of the bitter/sulfur taste that some people taste. I've made them one time in a skillet with shallots, bacon and some other yummy stuff. Can't think of what else but I don't think it was too high in calories or WW points. It was delish!

Suzanne 3FC
10-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I can't find it right now, but I recently ran across a recipe for a coleslaw that incorporated shredded brussels sprouts with the cabbage and it sounded very good. I had never thought of eating them raw before.

tommy
11-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Suzanne - Melissa Clark (NY Times food writer and author of a gazillion cookbooks) has a recipe in her older book "The Skinny" with proportions of 10 oz sprouts (in food processor with thin slicing disk or hand cut thinly), juice of a lemon, few T olive oil, 3 ounces grated Manchego or Pecorino cheese, and a cup of toasted walnuts, salt to taste. There are lots of variations on the internet. I think the nut amount is too much and the cheese could be dialed down. Basically start with a minimum and play. It works quite like the raw kale salad recipes that currently abound - you could use the ingredient ideas and play with proportions.

Suzanne 3FC
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh gosh, Tommy, that sounds fantastic! I have to give that a shot. I'm not going to tell anyone that the green shreds are brussels sprouts either :)

Thanks!

juliana77
11-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I loooove Brussels sprouts. Unfortunately they do not love me back... I get terrible painful gas when I eat them :( so if you are reading this thread and about to try them for the first time, keep your portions small until you know how they affect you!

GwenSue
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Roasting them and then adding lemon before eating them is my favorite way. It's hard to find good ones though, usually they are wormy. *yuck*

collingwood
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I have recently found Brussels Sprouts again in the last few months and I've been having them with zuchinni and put them in a microwave container with a bit of water and put them on for 5-6 minutes. I have 4 or 5 Brussels Sprouts and they need to be small to medium size, the large ones can be more bitter and I go for ones that firm and not leafy. I also chop 1 zuchinni in to about 5 thick pieces and have them with either a chicken breast or fish (flake or gummy shark) not sure if they have them in the states... but I wrap them in foil and put in the oven for 30 mins and they come out nice and tender. http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/manger/essen.gif :D

jefferzzzz
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Very interesting thread... I tried them as as a kid and hated them.. I tried them again a couple years ago and they had this wangy sour taste. Like cabbage gone bad. And I love most veggies like Kale, Broccoli, greens, spinach etc... I guess the genetic thing has truth to it. ;)