Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #1  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

Default 24 weeks pregnant .. plz help

Please help with my blood pressure… my Dr took my blood pressure two times today that’s how high it was. I really don’t want to have high blood pressure especially now while am pregnant.
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

My blood pressure is always way higher when I'm pregnant... try to make sure your stress level is very low, especially right before they take your reading. Sorry it was high.
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #3  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

There are a ton of things that I'm thinking right now, but let's start with the basics:

-What did your doctor say about the high blood pressure?

-Did s/he put you on blood pressure meds?

-Are you monitoring BP at home?

-Are you spilling protein into your urine?

-How is your swelling?

If you are worried about BP, one thing you can do is check it daily at home do see how things are going. Check it right when you wake up, which is when it should be lowest. Sometimes a one-time spike is normal... maybe you had a long day or something like that.

Also ask your doctor if you can lay quietly on your left side for 10 minutes before they take the BP. Lay down in the exam room, turn off the lights, and just chill for a bit. Also, if you need the bigger cuff, make sure they are using it, or you may get a false high. And have them take it manually, not with the machine.

It's hard to "prevent" high BP during pregnancy. Best tactic is to be monitored closely, eat well, and try to stay mellow.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #4  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

Do they use the larger cuff? If the regular size cuff is too small it can cause false readings.

Did they talk to you about it?
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

What Quail said!

I had Pregnancy Induced Hypertension with my first and it is a beast. Exercise can help things and eating less salt, etc. The things you'd do for normal (non-pregnancy) blood pressure problems. The endgame for me was 7 weeks of complete bed rest to keep it from developing into pre-eclampsia (and I had to be induced at 37 weeks). If you're not spilling protein and the Dr didn't seem concerned then I wouldn't be. They can also put you on BP meds if it gets to be too much of a problem.

Probably the best thing you can do about it is NOT FREAK OUT!! I know that's hard, but stress makes things much worse.

ETA: I meant to say that although I was on bed rest and had to be induced pretty early everything went great. I was able to deliver vaginally and my son is a happy, healthy 2 year old who's no worse for the wear. I even had a second one 22 months later (with zero complications)!

Last edited by Gale02; 12-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMamma View Post
Do they use the larger cuff? If the regular size cuff is too small it can cause false readings.

Did they talk to you about it?
^^ This! I just had my second child in September and the first couple of OB visits they were worried about my high BP even though it was fine with my first child and was even low during delivery.

Finally a more seasoned nurse who was closer to my size used a larger cuff on my 3rd or 4th visit and it gave my normal reading.

Definitely ask them to try this before putting you on meds. Hope all goes well.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #7  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

thanks guys...
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Absolutely ask about the larger cuff. I carry a lot of weight in my arms, and needed the larger cuff.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Make sure you are also getting plenty of rest. I was told if not sleeping well at night then your blood pressure could be higher. AND if you are cleaning with Bleach make sure the room is well ventilated.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote