General chatter - Shopping Cart Snobbery

View Full Version : Shopping Cart Snobbery

mkendrick
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Not a new concept, I've seen it mentioned several times on 3FC before. But I thought I'd devote a whole thread to my shopping cart snobbery.

I never used to care what was in my shopping cart. I never used to care what was in other peoples' shopping carts. However, now that I'm actually being selective about what I eat, and choosing to eat healthy foods as opposed to junk, I care very much about what is in my shopping cart. I take pride in the fact that there are several bags of produce, packages of lean cuts of meat, eggs, whole grains, various spices, organic products, etc in my cart. I walk around pushing my cart, displaying to the other shoppers its contents. My groceries are a reflection of what I eat, and if "we are what we eat," then my groceries are a reflection of my own self. A healthy person who takes time to prepare nutritious whole food and cares about what is feuling my body......As if anybody cares what the **** is in my shopping cart, haha.

My husband was shopping with me the other day, and as much as I love him, he always throws off my grocery shopping routine. I make a list, stick to the list, and have a specific order in which I go through the aisles. He likes to stroll through the aisles tossing whatever looks good in the cart. Well I was going down my list and he was strolling and he tossed a bag of Goldfish crackers in my cart. My healthy wholesome cart full of groceries was completely tarnished because of that bag of Goldfish. I actually ran into a friend and felt legitimately embarrassed that there was a bag of Goldfish in my cart. I don't think she had even glanced at the contents of my cart, but I mentioned two or three times that those weren't MY Goldfish, they were Sean's. I certainly didn't want them, nor was I going to eat them. Again...as if she had even noticed or cared that there were Goldfish in my cart.

So now, in addition to having a pride complex about what's in my own shopping cart, I scan around to the other shoppers to see what they're buying. And as much as I hate that I do it, I make shameless judgements about them based on what they're buying. Today I saw a very overweight woman who had an overflowing cart filled with every kind of junk food one might find in Walmart, but tucked under all the chips, cookies, candy, etc etc there was a 12-pack of Diet Coke and a few boxes of Lean Cuisine. And yes, I judged.

So I confess that I'm a shopping cart snob. I'm not proud of it, especially making out of context judgements about people based on what groceries they happen to be buying that day. So who else is guilty? ;)

Arctic Mama
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't judge what others buy, I'm too busy corralling my children to care! That said, I worry about people judging my cart! We buy almost all our food at Costco, and it is all ingredients and very healthy. The few things we buy at the regular store are specialty items that I cannot find in large quantities. So my cart has a special brand of pumpkin, organic yogurt, condensed milk, my husband's ice-cream, green onions, popcorn kernels, peanut sauce, etc etc. Nothing particularly bad, but not a representation of my normal diet, either.

I also tend to run out for specialty ingredients for desserts I make for social gatherings, so my cart will be filled with pie ingredients and custard additives, which also makes me self-conscious.

It makes me so sad that people are more likely to see the fifty pounds I have yetnto lose, rather than the weight I've lost, just because they see me buying coconut shavings and pudding. I hate judgments on others like that :(

XLMuffnTop
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
When we have guests over, we do what we can do make them comfortable. And as we all know, all too often we love with food. Therefore, I buy more comfort foods, soda, tea, desserts, etc. to entertain.

In addition, I have children in my house. My son eats well... really well. There are times he'll ask for a salad, and he loves green beans, natural peanut butter, apples, lean meats, whole wheat bread, etc and he needs the 2% or whole milk. But because I have a problem with my weight doesn't mean he should be deprived of a treat such as a cookie, cinnamon roll, or even gold fish here and there. We even keep a can of Spaghetti-O's in the pantry for rare emergencies.

The only time I've ever been out right embarrassed was when my mom and stepdad were out of town and his favorite ice cream was on sale and he sent me to the store to buy six, yes SIX half gallons to stock up. I was so mortified as it was the only thing in my cart.

All in all I'd say it's fine to be happy with the selections you've made but don't let it manifest itself into something negative. Try to keep in mind others are at different stages and situations in their lives and may be struggling or shopping for others.

Wild Vulpix
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
:lol: I have to admit, I get pretty judgmental when I see someone with a cart full of pure junk... and diet soda. Also, I can get a little judgey when I see an overweight person zooming around on those grocery-cart-mobile thingies. There are times I have to stop and remind myself that I don't know these people and so it's unfair to make assumptions. On the other though, if my assumptions are right, then I hurt for them because... I dunno, I just want to see them successful or learn some of the lessons I have, you know?

I also feel a little insecure, and judged, sometimes when I'm checking out my grocery items. As if the cashier is deciding who or what I am based on what I'm buying. :dizzy:

Meg
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
There's nothing I like better than confounding anyone who's nebby enough to look in my grocery cart, or worse, make assumptions about what they see in it. My cart has Kashi cereal nestled next to chocolate ice cream, broccoli snuggled up to Starbursts, and potato chips holding hands with butternut squash. I couldn't care less what other people buy and certainly hope that the things that I buy totally perplex anyone who bothers to look. :lol:

One of the true gifts of weight loss has been learning not to care at all about what other people think of me, especially strangers who know nothing about me or my family or my life situation. :)

lazylioness
12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I have to admit, that I do the same thing! Total shopping cart snob.

I take it one step further though, I look and notice what is in other peoples carts, and then look at the people. Usually if they have a ton of cr@p in their cart, they are obviously out of shape, and have kids out of shape and running around crazy. Then I think "WOW this is why you are fat." then I step back and realize that it was not THAT long ago that my cart looked fairly similar.

midwife
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
:lol: , Meg. Your cart sounds a lot like mine. My cart is very interesting beween my paleo purchases, my distance running DD's carbs, my growing DS who eats everything that is not nailed down, my gourmet-sushi-eating 10 yo, and my little guy who is in a turkey/pepperjack/white bread phase. And that doesn't even account for DH's dietary preferences.

And then when I'm shopping for a class party or for Cub Scout snacks (or cross country team snacks, etc.) I must have a very confusing cart!

ETA: The one thing 5 out of 6 of us enjoy and eat on a regular basis is Fage greek yogurt with honey.

Bunti
12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
There's nothing I like better than confounding anyone who's nebby enough to look in my grocery cart, or worse, make assumptions about what they see in it. My cart has Kashi cereal nestled next to chocolate ice cream, broccoli snuggled up to Starbursts, and potato chips holding hands with butternut squash. I couldn't care less what other people buy and certainly hope that the things that I buy totally perplex anyone who bothers to look. :lol:

One of the true gifts of weight loss has been learning not to care at all about what other people think of me, especially strangers who know nothing about me or my family or my life situation. :)

This is where I wanna be

Eliana
12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Meg, yes, ditto here. You never know what's going to be in my cart! Fresh produce, almost always but like midwife says there are foodie occasions to shop for too. We entertain often. There are many reasons for buying not-so-healthy fair.

Megan, you make me laugh. :rofl: That was well written even though I've never experienced quite the same shopping experience. ;)

kaplods
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I've also cultivated a "Not my business, not their business" attitude.

It's not always easy, so I deliberately don't look in other people's carts, so there's no temptation or opportunity to feel superior or guilty.

My husband and I both have had to use the motorized carts, and because we're fat, people are going to assume negative and untrue things about us. They're all going to be untrue, but of course that never matters. No one is going to know or care that we've both lost 80+ pounds, or that hubby has a degenerative joint disease, or that we've only ever used the cart as a last resort. We almost never use them when pain is the only issue. We use them when our canes or grocery cart don't provide enough stability.

With my fibro, my physical limitations can and do vary tremendously from day to day, so I've even gotten the "I've seen you walking, so I know you can," looks and even (once) actual commentary.

I'd love to explain it all to the busybodies, but it's not possible and would do no good. It has made me a lot more hesitant to judge others, even when their behavior fits the sterotype.

As I said, I avoid looking into carts, so last night I didn't see the (not at all overweight) family in front of us in the grocery store line with a cart full of junk and allowing each of three small children to select a HUGE candybar, all paying with a foodstamp card.

I didn't notice, but hubby did and asked me in the car, if I had noticed. I felt a twinge of disapproval and reminded myself that for all I knew this could have been a once a year Christmas event.

We don't do our shopping at one store, we shop several stores to save the most money. Our diets are very balanced, but are carts usually aren't, because we don't buy everything in one place. In the oriental market I buy produce, condiments, and occasionally snack foods.

At one store, I never buy produce (so you'd think we didn't eat any).

At one store, I only buy their canned goods (so you'd think that's all we eat).

I hate seeing that condescending judgement in people's eyes, because even though I know I shouldn't care, it always makes me feel like I'm supposed to explain.

Ruthxxx
12-22-2010, 04:47 PM
"Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give damn" is my attitude. When I'm waiting in line, I'm usually planning the rest of my day and ignoring other people.

Nola Celeste
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm chronically nosy, but not judgmental. I really just like seeing what other folks have in there; it's the same impulse that makes me look into someone's open windows and check out their home decor as I'm waking around the neighborhood. (Christmas is especially awesome because people open their blinds to show off their trees. :D)

Yeah, I'm pleased at what's in my own cart. I'm all, "BEHOLD my cornucopia of fresh vegetables and fruit!" whereas I used to feel a little ashamed of my cheetos and lucky charms. I like that when I have uncommon stuff in there, people will ask me about it and I can tell them how awesomely delicious persimmons are.

But I can't judge someone else's stuff; I don't know where they are in life or where they've come from. Maybe that guy with the five bags of Doritos has an eating disorder, or maybe he's doing the shopping for a whole Boy Scout troop's Christmas party, or maybe he's shopping for his neighbor the marathon runner who broke both his legs in a freak bouncy-house accident.

I just feel that if I were to judge others' carts, it'd be an admission that I was somehow "better" when I weighed 128 pounds and ate crap versus weighing 232 pounds eating crap--and I'm not at all willing to say that.

As for judging people in carts, to me that's like assuming that someone with burned skin got that way from a meth lab accident. Why would anyone assume that a physical disability was obviously a result of that individual's bad judgement? I've known folks who were athletic and trim at one point who gained a lot of weight after illness or chronic injury or from medications to treat health issues.

I was raised that it is emphatically not okay to stare at or judge people who get around on wheels instead of feet; for me, that doesn't change if the person is large or small.

19Deltawifey
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I never look at peoples shopping carts to see what they are eating and I personally wouldn't care if others looked at my grocery cart but to judge someone based on what's in their cart is kind of shallow if you ask me. I guess I just never cared what other people fed their families, plus I'm to focused on my shopping list and getting in and out before my kids start to get annoying. Me and my husband never go to the grocery store together because he is mostly at work and if he is home then he will stay home and watch the kids while I go or vice versa. I usually go first thing in the morning though.

When I shop I buy groceries for my husband as well, so yes it may look like I'm eating those foods when I'm really not. Since I'm at the store I might as well shop for both of us and if that means having a bag of chips, poptarts, junk food, etc in my cart then that's what I have to do but that doesn't mean that I eat those foods. I guess it's disheartening to know that I am probably being judged for the food that is in my cart, mind you I'm shopping for 4 people who like different things.

XLMuffnTop
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Maybe that guy with the five bags of Doritos has an eating disorder, or maybe he's doing the shopping for a whole Boy Scout troop's Christmas party, or maybe he's shopping for his neighbor the marathon runner who broke both his legs in a freak bouncy-house accident.

I fully agree and imagining the bounce-house scenario made me snort diet coke out my nose. Ow.

SouthLake
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm very nosy about other people's carts. Just because it's interesting to see what other people buy. I'm rarely judgmental about it, except when people have children. When you have obese children and a cart full of junk food without a single shred of produce, yes, I judge you. I wish I could say that I don't... but I do. As an adult, I don't care what you feed yourself, but I get cranky about people feeding their kids crap. I don't judge the presence of some treats or junk food. I'm talking about the family I saw this week with three obese children under the age of ten, one was so large he had difficulty walking and cellulite on his arms, and mom had a cart full of HiC punch, chips, cookies, frozen chicken wings, corn dogs, icecream, cheezwhiz, etc.

I don't know that I necessarily feel proud of my cart because it defines me- but I get excited when it looks healthy and has lots of colors of produce, just because it makes me excited to cook and eat great ingredients.

Ashley777
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I got a kick out of you explaining your shopping habits and your husband's, welcome to married life!!! However I do sometimes buy junk but feel better about it when my cart has other healthy food too! Sometimes I pull to the checkout with $$60 worth of chicken fish and meat and feel strange then but it just so happens I wait for those items to be on sale before I buy them and might not need anything else.
I did also enjoy the discussion here of people judging other people, it can be hard not to judge but has already been said we have no idea where someone is in their life, or what is going on, I heard it best said 'if a man was in an airport with three young kids and the kids were just running around being noisy and being bratty and the man did nothing about it how would you feel' If you then learned his wife had just died and they just come from the funeral would that change your opinion of the man?
If my family was wiped out in a car accident and I turned to food how is that different from drinking, or overspending and charging up credit cards to the wazoo then declaring bankruptcy because of it or cheating on our spouse or partner? We all make mistakes and bad choices unfortunately for the foodaholic the results can be seen by all and I do know just cause someone is overweight there could be many reasons for it, not just shoving in goodies like me to help deal with stress in general and get over the pain of a horribly abusive marriage.

Nola Celeste
12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
When I quit smoking in July, I inhaled food for the next couple of weeks. I'm sure other people saw a fat chick with a cart full of Cheez-its, but I saw someone who had the strength of will to stop a thirty-year, three-pack-a-day habit cold.

I didn't notice anyone judging my cart then. It's probably a good thing I didn't, because I was one cranky broad at the time and would have flown down the throat of anyone who crooked an eyebrow wrong at me. :D

JayEll
12-22-2010, 05:26 PM
<---- (Is thinking that a lot of 3FC members are going mental...)

;)

Don't worry. Someday when you are all grown up you'll look back at these years and realize that what you wore to the prom and how your shopping cart compared to others' is just not important in the greater scheme of things...

Jay

kaw
12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I just buy healthy stuff, and send DH out to the store alone when we're out of chips. Oh, and I ask him buy tampons, too. Any man can buy diamonds, but it takes a truly-in-love husband to suffer the indignity of standing in line with a box of tampons.

(Yes, I'm kidding. Well, except for about the tampons.)

b. strong,
Kim

midwife
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh, and I ask him buy tampons, too. Any man can buy diamonds, but it takes a truly-in-love husband to suffer the indignity of standing in line with a box of tampons.

(Yes, I'm kidding. Well, except for about the tampons.)

b. strong,
Kim

Yes. Now veering OT, but when I had my first kiddo, I had no clue about anything. And my milk came in. And my bras didn't fit. And I was crying and hurting and DH (bless his heart) went to Wal-Mart and bought me a bra. Of course his selection missed the mark, but it was very sweet. We were pretty clueless back then. :lol: He tried.

mkendrick
12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Haha, I hope I didn't vilify myself too badly :) I wrote this thread with the sole purpose of confessing something that I'm not proud of.

And no, I won't judge somebody if they have a bag of Doritos or something. But like Ashley777 said, it's the extreme, and frankly obvious, situations where I catch myself judging. Obese children and parents with a cart load of garbage. The obese woman I saw today with a ridiculously full cart of junk and the case of Diet Coke. It's just the way the human mind works...I see a situation that stands out from the norm in the environment (a cart towering with candy, cookies, chips, Little Debbie cakes, etc...above and beyond the normal amount of junky snacks) and I see the other half of the situation, an obese person or family. The human mind will make connections, I see a result (obese person) and connect it with a cause (cart full of junk). It's my unfortunate human nature to fill in the blanks with judgements and assumptions. Because logically, I KNOW that I have neither the right nor sufficient information to make any kind of assessment about these people that I see. What they're like, what they eat, their health, why they're buying what they buy...nor is it any of my concern. I know this, and whenever a judgement unconcsciously pops into my head, the conscious side of my brain sends a reminder that it's none of my beeswax, hehe.

ringmaster
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm guilty of it too. If I see a skinny woman buying nothing but junk food I think she must be one of the lucky ones who can eat whatever and stay thin, if I see an obese person buying junk food I just think "why??" and then when I see people with kids just buying junk food and sugary juices you can tell is for the kids I feel kinda bad and wonder why the parents are buying so much junk food for the kids and no fruits, vegetables or healthier stuff.

PaulaM
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I never look and I don't see anybody looking in my cart. I have a question, why would you keep telling somebody the "junk" food was your husband's? I know it was to deflect anybody thinking you were eating it but why point out his so- called "bad" habits?

EZMONEY
12-22-2010, 07:37 PM
:D Sometimes I go to our local Ralphs/Krogers on Wednesday when the sales start. I will load my cart with 10 mac and cheese boxes ~ 10 spaghetti-o varieties ~ 10 peanut butter and such....none of it for me....all for the pantry for the hungry at our church.

It :D cracks me up...and at the same time :o embarrasses me on what people may be thinking.....that's life :)

Looks even worse if I throw a 30 pack of Budweiser in there too!

Now, THAT, is mine ;)

fivestone
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
You know, it wasn't until I read this thread that I realised that I don't really pay much attention to other people's carts at all. Sure, I'll notice the fact that they have lots of stuff in their cart, so it'll be a while, or not so much, so it's almost my turn, but I just don't pay it much attention, much less judge it.

It's different than other times I lost weight, though. Before, I really seemed to care about what was in my cart, what other people would think about it, and I looked at other people's carts, and was sometimes judgmental about it.

But now, it's different, probably for 2 reasons. One, I'm thin, and I know I'm thin, and when I went to the doctor the week before last, all my labs were in order, so my body is doing just fine. Whether I have all organic produce in my cart, or all junk food, I'm healthy, thin, and attractive, and I know that I represent where some people are trying to get, and I have nothing to be ashamed of. I can afford calorically to eat anything I desire, pretty much, within reason, and I'm willing to do extra exercise for it, if necessary... so at the store, I'ma get what I want, and I ain't gonna worry about it.

Two, I've been married to a wonderful man for a little over a year, and right now my main focus is on being a good person and the best wife to him as I possibly can be. As long as he's happy and content and feeling like he can go out and face the world everyday with confidence, knowing he's got a supportive, loving woman back home... I really don't give a good you-know-what about what anybody else is thinking, at least when it comes to my eating habits. :)

stacygee
12-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Hmm- I've never even thought to look in others carts. Also, I have to feed a husband who eats every meal like it is his last and a VERY picky 6 year old and a 3 year old that just wants spaghettios. My cart is full of junk along with my salad fixins and lean protein.

But, I had a guy I know from the Gym ask what I was doing with frozen pizza in my cart>> I was VERY surprised by this. He really isn't someone I knew too well and it really took me back. But, I told him I have a whole family to feed and they won't all eat salad!

bargoo
12-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I didn't need to do a big shopping today but I needed milk and also wanted to buy a roll of quarters.
If you had looked into my cart you would have seen 1/2 gallon of nonfat milk, one loaf of Dill Rye Bread, one package of Puperoni (treats for the dog)
one package of Sargento sliced Jarlsberg cheese,2 cans of condensed milk( to make fudge for gifts) , one can of zucchini in tomato sauce. If anybody was looking they would have wondered how do you make a meal out of that ?

JillyM
12-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I judged... Big time when I was in Walmart with my then infant. A mother was walking throught he aisles pushing her child in the cart when the child said she was hungry. Instead of bringing a snack for her child or opening a bag of pretzels or another decent snack (on a side note I also hate when people eat produce in the store since they don't actually pay for it). Anyway this insane mother proceeded to open a package of hot dogs from the refrigerator section and hand a cold, uncooked hot dog to her child.... Yes I judge!!

:)

Nola Celeste
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I judged... Big time when I was in Walmart with my then infant. A mother was walking throught he aisles pushing her child in the cart when the child said she was hungry. Instead of bringing a snack for her child or opening a bag of pretzels or another decent snack (on a side note I also hate when people eat produce in the store since they don't actually pay for it). Anyway this insane mother proceeded to open a package of hot dogs from the refrigerator section and hand a cold, uncooked hot dog to her child.... Yes I judge!!

...okay, that story makes me realize that yes, there ARE times when I judge. That would definitely be one of them! :dizzy:

nelie
12-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I never notice shopping carts but I sometimes notice those who are in line near me. It is more a curiosity but I don't try to judge people due to their shopping habits, who knows or really cares how they eat?

It is funny in that lately I've been ordering my produce from a farm aggregate type place so they bring my groceries to my house. Since that happens, I buy very little produce in the store. Also, I've gotten pickier in that I rarely buy produce that isn't organic. So if I go to a regular store, I'll hardly ever get any produce since it is so much more expensive there.

The other day I went to Trader Joe's and bought some special treats for some friends, one especially wanted some stuff from Trader Joe's and she doesn't have one near her. So I bought her quite a few items and yes you could consider the items to be junk. I know what I bought will be eaten over many months. Someone looking at my basket would think I eat no veggies and just eat cookies and chocolate when it was for a few people and none for me.

nelie
12-22-2010, 08:56 PM

I don't know, why would a hot dog be worse than pretzels? I don't know but I remember eating cold hot dogs when I was younger. We didn't have them often in the house and they always had to be the turkey ones or low fat but still. If the child likes hotdogs, I wouldn't see the big deal. Its precooked so its not like giving the kid raw chicken.

bargoo
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I find it very annoying when parents give their kids food to eat in the store.I have seen banana peels in a cart, how do they pay for that ? I have also seen moms giving their kids donuts or other pastries, do they tell the checker of the food that was eaten ? I always wonder about that. to me food that is eaten before being paid for is stealing.

drake3272004
12-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm sure everyone around me at the grocery store was wondering what I was up to the last time I was there......all I bought was 2 packages of melting chocolate and 3 containers of sea salt! Odd combo, but that's all I needed :D

darway
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
It gets hard NOT to notice when you're at the conveyor belt by the register. You have to look at something, and the natural thing is the food unloaded in front of or behind you...

I understand a mix of things, some treats and some proper food. I can even understand a stack of boxed microwave dinners (that would have been me in the past :rolleyes: ).

But I have to grimace inside when I see a pile of Cheetos, Hostess Cupcakes, frozen pizza, soda pop and hot dog buns. Egads! How can people do that to themselves...

JayEll
12-22-2010, 10:30 PM
First of all, I myself have been known to eat a cold hot dog right out of the package, and I'm not ashamed of it. They are precooked, for heavens sake. It's better than giving a child some sugary thing.

Second of all, I have been known to eat food in the store. I just take the wrapper or package with me and have them ring it up at the checkout. If it's fruit, I could weigh it on the scale in the produce dept. and keep the little label that identifies it for the checkout. It's only stealing if you don't pay for it.

Jay

fivestone
12-22-2010, 10:41 PM
First of all, I myself have been known to eat a cold hot dog right out of the package, and I'm not ashamed of it. They are precooked, for heavens sake. It's better than giving a child some sugary thing.

Maybe I'm really dumb, but I had no idea hot dogs were precooked! That makes me feel better about the lady giving her kid the hot dog in-store.

Second of all, I have been known to eat food in the store. I just take the wrapper or package with me and have them ring it up at the checkout. If it's fruit, I could weigh it on the scale in the produce dept. and keep the little label that identifies it for the checkout. It's only stealing if you don't pay for it.

This. Where I live, you weigh stuff on the scale and it prints out a sticker for you to put on the bag yourself. Then the cashier just cans the sticker, assuming that if she's scanning an empty bag, that you already ate whatever it was.

But I have to grimace inside when I see a pile of Cheetos, Hostess Cupcakes, frozen pizza, soda pop and hot dog buns. Egads! How can people do that to themselves...

Quite easily, if that's what I'm in the mood for. We don't have Hostess Cupcakes here, but I like them and will substitute whatever other cupcakes I like. The soda pop would be diet pop for me, and the hot dog buns... well, I'm not huge on the buns, but I like hot dogs. I prefer fresh pizza but frozen can be tasty, and Cheetos are pretty tasty, too.

For me, junk food definitely has its place, and as long as I stay active and also eat healthy foods, I'm not giving it up for anyone. More power to anyone that eats clean 24/7 and has no place in their life for junk food, but allowing room for it in my life works for me.

nelie
12-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Although I don't think I'd ever eat food prior to paying for it at a store, I think if I was a parent of a child, child was hungry, I might find something and give it to them and buy it. I've seen quite a few parents buy opened boxes of things at the store.

kaplods
12-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Nutritionally, I also think the hot dog is at least as good a choice as pretzels. If it were an all-meat dog, I'd say it's actually a better choice. They're both high in salt, and the pretzels aren't usually whole-grain.

There's also almost no difference between packaged hot dogs and bologna. You don't want to live on deli meats, because they're way too salty, but as a safe and convenient food, they're fine.

In fact, for something fun for summer picnics, I've picked up bologna from the deli (asking for 1/2" slices). Then I buy only hamburger buns for both the burgers and the grilled bologna. It tastes exactly like a hot dog, but fits on a hamburger bun.

Prism21
12-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't look at what other people have in their grocery carts. I don't really care what people are buying. The only time I find myself curious is if they're buying a lot of something and I'm wondering if I'm missing some great sale!

But I have wondered if people are judging my cart and I guess that some people do...oh well! I guess people also wonder why I order Diet Coke at restaurants when I'm ordering some really fattening meal (on my weekly splurge) to go along with it. Regular Coke is just too sweet to me.

Nola Celeste
12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, upon further reflection, a cold hot dog out of the package isn't an abysmal choice. It's just instinctual to think, "Oh--hot dogs aren't wholesome" because it's been so drilled into my head that fat, sodium, and nitrates are "bad food." I should be more aware of that whole bad food/good food thing since I know it's a false dichotomy and that food choices are contextual.

I also freely admit that I don't have kids and was the baby of the family, so for all I know children live on Play-Doh, juice boxes, and sand. It'd be easy to say, "geez, you should feed your kid before you take him into the store," but then we go back to the whole judging thing that I shouldn't do.

Funny how I wouldn't dream of judging a person's cart contents, but would be ready to raise an eyebrow at a harried parent feeding her kid cold hot dogs in the store. It's a good lesson; I could always stand to be kinder and more compassionate. :)

LiannaKole
12-23-2010, 01:22 AM
I never even considered that people look at each others' carts at all, let along judge them (dunno why - seems like a normal enough thing to do), until a couple things happened.

1) A cashier commented on my healthy items and talked about how she wanted to get healtier.

2) I had a spaghetti squash in my cart and I heard two people that I passed by go, "That's what we should have for dinner! Spaghetti squash!"

In general, I try very hard not to judge people I don't know. Most times when I do judge, I am dead wrong, especially with appearances. I sometimes glance at the contents of others' carts now, but usually it's unconscious and I barely realize I'm doing it until the contents give me ideas for dinner. ;)

There is no way I can definitely ascertain anything about the person's life from the contents of their grocery cart - No Way. Other than, of course, that they are considering purchasing those items. Lol!

I honestly don't care what others think of my cart. It's my food, and I'm buying it, so unless they want to chip in, they don't get a say. But it is usually healthy foods, and that makes me happy because I know I'm eating better. Whatever others think is up to them.

Interesting topic, though - I never even heard of judging others by their carts until I came to this site. I wonder if it's really prevalent? Now I'll go around watching for people watching me watching them. Haha! :D

had a guy I know from the Gym ask what I was doing with frozen pizza in my cart.

Uh, weird. I'd probably mention to him that it's for my family, which likes pizza, and while I'm not taking unsolicited diet advice at the moment, I would accept donations toward my grocery bill. :)

flashfacts
12-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I sometimes make positive judgments on peoples carts ('wow, look at all those veggies, I don't even know how to cook half of them yet). But I don't really make negative judgments.

Part of that is because I know that my carts are often the type that would get judged very harshly, since I do the shopping for both my sister and myself. I get a big chunk of my food from trader joes, so most of the things I buy at the regular grocery are for her. That generally means lots of diet soda (which I drink as well), cookies, Little Debbies, frozen pizza and other prepared 'junk food'. Its not unusual for me to go in the middle of the week and buy just soda and sweets for her since she always needs some quick carbs in the house for medical reasons. But, I know that at my current weight, I don't get the benefit of the doubt from most people that notice my cart, even though I'm not going to eat any of it.

The second reason is because, when I was buying tons of junk for myself, and would go home and eat a whole carton of ice cream in one night just like some people probably assumed I would do, I was clinically depressed. Just like I wouldn't want strangers to make value judgments on me while I was struggling, I do my best not to do the same to others. I have no idea why someone is buying something, and its not my business, not to mention pretty presumptuous of me to assume I did.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, other then the passing thought that I was adding to the statistic about people who buy diet soda and ice cream together, I didn't really think much about it while I was gaining most of the weight, but now it occurs to me more often. I guess that feeling might come from the same place that makes me have mixed feelings about how I look right now. I mean, the vast majority of the time, I'm proud of what I've done, and can see the positive changes in myself, but every now and then it occurs to me that a stranger or new acquaintance can't see that, all they can see is the the work-in-progress me at one moment in time. Its the same with the carts. All a cart is is what someone is buying, for whatever reason, at one single moment of in their lives, and nothing more.

Shopaholic1204
12-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Primetime's What Would You Do, did a story similar to this. They set up an overweight woman with her daughter in a grocery, buying all sorts of unhealthy things..and then someone else would come by and tell them how wrong they were for buying & feeding all that junk to their child. Other people jumped in defending the mother & her child, but of course, a lot of people stayed out of it.

Personally, I don't look at what other people are buying at the grocery store, because I really don't care. It's their business, and their life. I often find it annoying when people make comments on how good something in my cart looks. I usually just smile or nod at them and go on about my merry way. If people look in my cart, then fine whatever..to each their own. I really don't care what strangers think of me.

JanieJones
12-23-2010, 02:41 AM
You know, it wasn't until I read this thread that I realised that I don't really pay much attention to other people's carts at all. Sure, I'll notice the fact that they have lots of stuff in their cart, so it'll be a while, or not so much, so it's almost my turn, but I just don't pay it much attention, much less judge it.

It's different than other times I lost weight, though. Before, I really seemed to care about what was in my cart, what other people would think about it, and I looked at other people's carts, and was sometimes judgmental about it.

But now, it's different, probably for 2 reasons. One, I'm thin, and I know I'm thin, and when I went to the doctor the week before last, all my labs were in order, so my body is doing just fine. Whether I have all organic produce in my cart, or all junk food, I'm healthy, thin, and attractive, and I know that I represent where some people are trying to get, and I have nothing to be ashamed of. I can afford calorically to eat anything I desire, pretty much, within reason, and I'm willing to do extra exercise for it, if necessary... so at the store, I'ma get what I want, and I ain't gonna worry about it.

Two, I've been married to a wonderful man for a little over a year, and right now my main focus is on being a good person and the best wife to him as I possibly can be. As long as he's happy and content and feeling like he can go out and face the world everyday with confidence, knowing he's got a supportive, loving woman back home... I really don't give a good you-know-what about what anybody else is thinking, at least when it comes to my eating habits. :)

Agree, wholeheartedly. I remember judging what was in other people's carts, but now that I'm thin and healthy, I seem to be pay less attention.

I also got surprised by people's tendency to do this recently whent a stranger at check-out line commented on how much squash I was buying (I really like squash). It was like, geez, you would think I was being berated for buying 3 tubs of lard. It's squash! It's yummy! And healthy!

Rosinante
12-23-2010, 03:06 AM
I do judge. Not all the time but if I'm standing in a long enough queue, the yes, I do notice and judge. I think it's only human nature when you've become food conscious yourself, to notice what others are doing.

My response (which doesn't show by a word, a look, a flicker of an eyelid) is usually sadness really - honestly, so many people just do not know that the junk in their trolley is so bad for their health.
Mixed in with anger, anger that they don't know, haven't been taught how to eat both healthily and economically;
anger that for generations, their family hasn't (may not have) known about good nutrition, and that the government doesn't seem to do anything to stop this pattern perpetuating;
anger that sometimes I think that governments don't Want poor people (because where I live it is mostly less affluent people who have dire diets) to learn how to eat better, because it would improve their mental and emotional health so much that they'd be less sheep-like and controllable.

O/T other supermarket hates:
*children on wheeled boots/'cute' little car shaped things that zoom up and down the aisles: it's a shop, not a playground
*children being given store food to eat without paying for it:feed your child before you go out or teach the child to wait
*people who pack their shopping as it comes off the belt; then pack the inevitable backlog if it's been a fast cashier; only then start looking for their wallet: it's not a surprise that you have to pay at a checkout but some people behave as thought it is
*(my current biggest bugbear) assistants who monitor the self-checkouts, who come and explain kindly to me how to scan things when the machine has thrown a wobbly; I am Extremely technologically able, thankyou, it's your machine that doesn't recognize this item/coin/note. Seriously, I'll know when I've reached goal weight when officious assistants don't come and treat me kindly at the self checkouts. Apparently I look middle-aged and confused at the moment. When I'm thin enough I'll look middle-aged but savvy! :D

19Deltawifey
12-23-2010, 04:02 AM
I never knew so many people cared about what is in my cart :shrug: Some people just need to lighten up, and relax. I'm guilty of giving my kids candy, so they can munch on it while I shop. Yeah some might not agree with candy but these are the same people who would get mad if my kid is flipping out. So your damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Thankfully I care more about my kids happiness instead of some stranger who thinks give the kids pretzels.

krampus
12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
All I have to say is that I miss shopping carts and being able to drive the groceries home in my car trunk. I do almost all my grocery shopping on foot at small local markets run by little old ladies, and it's rare that I buy anything there other than vegetables, fruit and tofu. It's also rare that I see anyone else shopping.

In America I have been guilty of seeing people buying gigantic bags of Twinkies and thinking "aaaand that's why you're fat," but I think everyone has done that. I generally don't care and am not too curious though. I'm quite familiar with the "here, buy us 20 candy bars and a block of lard" requests from parties and give people the benefit of the doubt.

joyc21
12-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I must be really self absorbed, because it has never even occurred to me to notice what other people are buying. It's also never occurred to me that others may be paying attention to what I'm buying and perhaps even judging me because of it. To each their own I guess.

junebug41
12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
The only time I notice shopping carts is if there's a single guy in front me. You can spot their carts a mile away :lol:

MiZTaCCen
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm usually in a zone when I'm in a grocery store, too busy wondering what I should be getting (since I lack the list thing...) and the only time I notice anything and perk up from it is if a hot guy walks by, then I look in the cart because you can usually tell if he's a bachalor by what he eats or if he has a wife or something. Even at the front cash if it's a long wait I pick up a magazine and read it, I really don't bother looking at other peoples carts unless I need a new idea for dinner and like to see what they got going on.

midwife
12-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Jay

This. It's never even occurred to me that it might occur to someone else that I might be "stealing" food if I give my kid a bakery snack or some such while we shop. I always tell the cashier and pay for it.

I tend to mind my own business and assume other people mind their own. Who knew?:shrug:

silverbirch
12-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Cultural differences.

I find it odd that people eat in the street. Eating *in* the supermarket, well, I can't understand it at all!

It's how I was brought up. Interestingly, I've discarded quite a lot of those attitudes but I keep most of the food-related ones.

Flamethrower
12-24-2010, 08:32 AM
I have been guilty of seeing people buying gigantic bags of Twinkies and thinking "aaaand that's why you're fat," but I think everyone has done that.

This, except we don't have twinkies over here xD

I'm also guilty of judging parents with kids who are piling their trolleys high with crap food, like crisps, sweets and microwave meals ONLY, with nothing of any nutritional value in there at all.

Does that make me bad? >.>

jules1216
12-25-2010, 11:02 AM
ok as I laugh at myself...I thought this thread was going to be about my compulsion to group things in the cart...then later on the belt at the register to go into the proper bags.....drives me nuts when hubby is with me cause he messes up my orderly cart....

hahahha..now I feel really ocd....

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Expunge
12-25-2010, 03:56 PM
ok as I laugh at myself...I thought this thread was going to be about my compulsion to group things in the cart...then later on the belt at the register to go into the proper bags.....drives me nuts when hubby is with me cause he messes up my orderly cart....

hahahha..now I feel really ocd....

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I do the exact same thing! Everything has to be properly arranged...

Shmead
12-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I never look and I don't see anybody looking in my cart. I have a question, why would you keep telling somebody the "junk" food was your husband's? I know it was to deflect anybody thinking you were eating it but why point out his so- called "bad" habits?

Because eating junk food is seen as a man's prerogative to eat junk food. Unless he's positively corpulent, it's seen as a quirk: it's good for a man to be trim and in shape, but he's not bad if he isn't. In a woman, however, eating junk food is seen as degenerate, a character flaw, a reflection of the sort of person she is on a deep level.

This isn't fair, but it seems to be the way it is. It goes all the way back to the 19th century and the idea of the woman as the "angel of the house". As women, we are responsible for the moral, physical, and emotional health of those around us.

deetermined2
12-25-2010, 10:02 PM
The only time my grocery cart had way more junk food in it than I would normally buy, is when my teenage daughter added things to it. If I didn't let her add stuff, she would use her paycheck up eating out then need gas money or just not eat at all.

Since that year, she's gone back to eating healthier. It might have been part of teenage rebellion.

deetermined2
12-25-2010, 10:12 PM
But someone else's "junk food" may be someone else's WOE. Someone may look askance at my cheese and cream and Greek yogurt, while someone else would look askance at the mini cookie or pretzel packs. It's all a matter of perspective.

Even my daughter's Annie's Organic Macaroni and Cheese, I consider somewhat unhealthy. But I know others disagree with that assessment.

shcirerf
12-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I am guilty of looking in other peoples carts. I don't really judge, I guess I'm just nosy.

My carts, well, I have the good stuff for DH and I, but as he does not have a weight problem, my cart also includes some of the junk foods he likes in his lunch box. Chips and mini Snickers, mostly and of course the beloved Mountain Dew.

As far as eating in the grocery store, the other day I was starving and had gotten some turkey lunch meat at the deli in WM. Since the sack is weighed and marked at the deli, I did eat a couple of slices while I finished my shopping.

bargoo
12-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Eating in the store doesn't bother me it's eating and not paying. I recently opened a box of kleenex and used a couple but I had the box so the checker could charge me. I have seen parents giving their kids bananas out of the display, one banana is not marked and they are sold by weight, I have never seen a checker weigh a banana peel. I have also seen mothers giving their kids donuts out of the bakery case, donuts are not marked either, I am sorry to be dubious but I don't think they get paid for at the checkout stand. You might guess this is a pet peeve of mine.

jules1216
12-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Eating in the store doesn't bother me it's eating and not paying. I recently opened a box of kleenex and used a couple but I had the box so the checker could charge me. I have seen parents giving their kids bananas out of the display, one banana is not marked and they are sold by weight, I have never seen a checker weigh a banana peel. I have also seen mothers giving their kids donuts out of the bakery case, donuts are not marked either, I am sorry to be dubious but I don't think they get paid for at the checkout stand. You might guess this is a pet peeve of mine.

actully...I have weighed items at the salad bar, put the sticker on the bottom and let my grandson munch while I finish shopping...

midwife
12-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Why assume the worst about people? If my younger kid eats an apple, I take an extra one to be weighed at checkout and send my older kid back to the produce to put it back after it's been weighed and charged for. If it's a doughnut, I tell the clerk there were "x" number of doughnuts. I've yet to meet a clerk who doesn't know the code for the doughnuts.

Do some people steal food? Probably. But not everyone. In fact, probably not even most people. Of course, I tend to be optimistic and assume--and practice--good will and honesty.

bargoo
12-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I do not mean to imply that all people are dishonest. I think most people are honest and trustworthy, but there are always those who will take advantage, Any store owner will tell you there is a lot of theft going on in stores from downright shoplifting to eating that donut or banana and not paying , I have seen this on more than one occasion at different stores.

jules1216
12-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I do not mean to imply that all people are dishonest. I think most people are honest and trustworthy, but there are always those who will take advantage, Any store owner will tell you there is a lot of theft going on in stores from downright shoplifting to eating that donut or banana and not paying , I have seen this on more than one occasion at different stores.

when I first worked at a convenience store that sold gas, I was told about drive offs...I was like people don't do that...oh yes they do I soon found out!! Then there was one really nice and friendly guy that worked across the street from one of the stores I worked in that came in everyday...at least once a day...one of the workers said he was stealing...the assistant manager and 2nd assistants never believed her...so I watched...he was robbing us blind....unfortunately theft is a HUGE in retail...one of his female coworkers came in with him everyday...claimed to have not had a clue he was doing it...I wasn't sure I believed her but she took nothing...their supervisor came over and let me know that the female coworker told her what happenned she was mortified that we thought she would steal...their supervisor started checking things...turned out he was also embezzling at their company....

EZMONEY
12-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Angie and I shop at a natural grocery store in town 2-4 times a month. There are barrels of nuts, rice, beans, etc. I can't tell you how many times I have seen moms stick there hand in and pull out raisins for their kids to eat...and not bagging any of it. One day I saw a guy grab a handful of nuts and walk through the store eating them...no way he paid for it.

Maybe it's not a big deal for $$$, a few raisins/nuts but it still is stealing...not a good thing to teach those kids.

I have thought before about people eating in the store....and choke on an apple...is the store liable? It's not a restaurant....just curious.

Now, a frustrated mom in a grocery store with a screaming toddler wanting a cookie out of the bag already in the basket....that's different....the intent to pay is obvious.

Cali Doll
12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I am nosey so I do look in shopping carts. However, I'm not judging. I'm just noticing and satisfying my curiosity.

I am one who is BIG on opening things in the store and paying for it after it's consumed. I do it a lot. I don't think it's stealing at all because I always take my wrapper to the checkout. I really didn't think that people saw this as stealing. As was said, it's only stealing if you don't pay for it.

fivestone
12-30-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't get why it matters to some people what food other people are buying. Is it a thing of being genuinely concerned for their health, or a competitive thing, like, "Ha! I rule at eating more cleanly than the person in front of me in line!"?

I'm just curious, because I could understand the competitive aspects. I compare my body against other people, but I wouldn't say that I judge the people I'm comparing myself against one way or the other -- just gauging where I happen to fall sizewise. Groceries seem like a weird thing to compare, especially because I don't know who/what the groceries are for.

MiZTaCCen
12-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Why assume the worst about people?

Because out of 10 people 2 are probably honest...I've had bad experience with people (in retail, in fast food departments everything you can think of. The things people will go through to get stuff for free is ridiculous and kind of pathetic.) most people will cheat the system and when it comes to getting something for free to eat (snack on whatever) most people will take advantage of that.

Grocery stores are easy to do that with. Take a grape or two, snack on it. (now if one person is doing it, you know other's are...) Grab a batch of 5 banannas, eat one and then only pay for 4 instead of 5..Grab a donut and eat it as you walk around. No one stops you people just continue to carry on and before you know it a lot of stuff has been eaten and unaccounted for. (it's possible they may have forgotten that they shoved that donut in their mouth 10 minutes ago, or had given their kid some grapes or a bananna.

Kudo's for you for having the heart and pride to do the right thing, but a lot of people don't. It's unfortunate too, because you do the right thing, but when someone makes a comment about people doing so it kind of puts you in that catagory yet you're one of the kind hearted people who do the right thing.

saef
12-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't notice what's in people's shopping carts unless I'm returning to my parked cart with something that I walked away from it to get, and I want to make certain that it's mine.

I'm generally preoccupied & trying to find everything (because sale items are so specific -- this size & NOT that size -- and things move around on the shelves) and annoyed & worried that they'll run out of something, and I hate, hate, hate waiting in line for rain checks. Also, I'm hurrying, usually to avoid a peak shopping time. I detest shopping during peak shopping times. Down here in NY area, our pricey real estate translates to small stores & tiny or nonexistent parking spaces. If I shop at peak hour, I may not even find parking & may have to circle till someone pulls out. Anyway, this makes me irritable & focused on getting in, getting out.

Of course I notice what's on the conveyer belt ahead of me when I'm paying. No, I don't judge, exactly, but I do tend to make up little stories in my head about those peoples' lives & what family members & what occasions they're buying the stuff for. I see it as a harmless amusement. Like passing a lit-up house at night & making up a little story to myself about who lives there & how they pass their time & whether they're happy.

kaplods
12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Because out of 10 people 2 are probably honest...I've had bad experience with people

I think this is a perception issue. You see what you expect to see, not necessarily objective reality.

I've seen the worst of human behavior, working in social service and law enforcement. I worked with juvenile delinquents in detention center, and with adult offenders as a probation officer, and as a drug and alcohol treatment caseworker...

and even working with the "worst of the worst." I would estimate that out of 10 people, fewer than 2 are dishonest.

Which of us is correct?

Probably neither of us, because often what we expect to see is what we do see. We ignore or forget the behavior that doesn't fit into our world view.

I have a friend who always sees the worst in people. She rarely gives anyone a second chance (and most people she doesn't even give a first chance) to hurt her. The problem is that she's so easily hurt that almost everyone in her life, inevitably becomes her worst enemy, sooner or later. I know (from watching her interactions with other people) that it's only a matter of time before I accidentally do something (or fail to do something) that she will find unforgiveable. I try not to get too attached to her, because I know it's coming.

I also know that when it does come, she will tell everyone she can what a horrible, evil, wrotten, insincere, disloyal person I am.

I still choose to see her as "mostly good, just a bit messed up," and even after she cuts me out of her life, I'll still see her that way.

When I see the good in people, it's not so much for them, as for me. If I thought the world was that wrotten a place, I wouldn't be able to live here, but it's amazing how much good you do find in people, when you're looking for it, and expecting it.

annah788
12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm the opposite. I always worry about people looking into my cart lol. I have just started my diet and I'm learning to make healthier choices, but before...I was ashamed for people to look.

Rana
12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
I hate shopping so much, I walk into the grocery store and I get into the "zone". My closest store is always packed with people. I'm more worried about not tripping over a little kid or avoiding the clueless woman looking over to the side and walking straight into me, than whether or not the contents in the grocery cart match the person or not.

Because I'm so focused on getting what I want and getting out FAST, I don't worry if anyone is judging the contents of my cart!

I think the only time I might notice is if I am standing in line and watching the person in front of me go through. But I don't judge. I look at their food and wonder if that's a meal (sometimes it looks like it is) or if it's stuff they're missing for a meal at home or just randomly picking up groceries so they can take cash out.

Kimberly2011
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't tend to judge what is in other people's carts, but I must say I feel EXTREMELY proud of what is in my own cart. I love seeing produce, whole grains and lean meats - and it makes me happy knowing I am making these healthy choices for my whole family. I feel my own personal satisfaction!:)

guamvixen
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
This is so interesting...I don't have time to check out other people's carts. I HATE grocery shopping as much as I hate pumping gas. But one time, at the check out lane, I had a half empty cart, and the lady in front of me had 2 full carts. Her bill was only $127, my half empy cart was $90. WHat the heck did she buy? She got a whole other cart of food for only 37 dollars more! I was jealous, but if I had to guess, it was probably a lot of bad food. Eating healthy is expensive. But I don't get embarassed for having some junk food mixed with healthy. I get more embarassed having maxi pads in my cart or...ahem, condoms. ;)

OoohThatdress
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I'll be honest, I look and I like looking and if anyone asks me, I will tell them I was looking. BUT, I tend to look at people's carts who have healthy stuff in it (not even pure healthy but anything more adventures then chicken and potatoes) because I try to guess what they are going to make, if it'd be good, and hey! will it give me an idea for dinner?

I, too, judge those who buy only junk for themselves and their children and then they pay with food stamps. I judge because I worked as a cashier at a store that carried food and those with access cards were rather rude, careless, and only bought junk while their kids are over weight. (I don't judge people for being on food stamps, I judge for what they do with them.) [ugh the more I let this part up, the more like a jerk I feel. What I am TRYING to say is that SOME people are rude/careless/etc and not everyone is on food stamps because they are dirt poor and that buying some junk food while using the stamps is not always bad. Ok I feel a little better]

Sometimes I feel bad about my cart of food. We just moved, we have little money (typical first house/young couple scene). We have to buy food for our lunches and etc. Alot of times that ends up as 5 boxes of hot pockets for $10, because it's cheap(ish), easy, and we can take them to work. I buy ground beef and chicken, ham and pork. My cart has good and bad in it, sometimes more bad, sometimes more good. It depends on how much money we have. When we have more, I buy better foods, when we don't, I grab whatever gets us through. (and it's always changing, our likes and dislikes, what we will try, etc).

Again, I worked at a store that sold food, I also judged over weight people who used the motorized carts but some do have actual problems other then being over weight and it has taught me to be a little more forgiving.

But bottom line, yes, I do peek in other peoples carts and hope they are having something good for dinner so I know of an idea! =D

shannonmb
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't tend to judge what is in other people's carts, but I must say I feel EXTREMELY proud of what is in my own cart. I love seeing produce, whole grains and lean meats - and it makes me happy knowing I am making these healthy choices for my whole family. I feel my own personal satisfaction!:)

Me, too! I personally LOVE grocery shopping, especially for produce. I have a fun time picking out the prettiest or most interesting apples ("Wow, this looks just like Snow White's apple!, look at the pretty green swirl in this one -- can't wait till it's time to eat THIS one). Yeah, I guess I'm easily amused, but I do so love food - smelling it, chopping it, cooking it, eating it, and I've started to think about how those mushrooms were growing in the ground just a few days ago, or how that bunch of grapes must have looked hanging on the vine. I don't buy much organic, so I'm sure it's not as romantic and fanciful as I picture it, but I LOVE that I LOVE real food now, and barely glance at the cookies and such in a box.

I definitely notice what others are buying if it's interesting in any way, but I do it with the same intent as Saef, just wondering about the life behind the groceries. Yeah, grocery shopping is a fun time for me! Read what you will into my uber-exciting life! hahaha

goodforme
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I had an experience last night that I HAD to post on this thread. I was at Wal-Mart, buying a random load of stuff that we HAD to have. There were salad stuff, yogurt, bagels, turkey, ww bread, along with microwave popcorn and cookies and various other not healthy stuff. The cashier gets finished scanning everything and says to me "Are you on a diet?" I was like :o "not really, just trying to incorporate more healthy food to tone down some of the junk!" (I mean, what do you say? Look how fat I am, do I LOOK like I'm on a diet? :p ) Anyway, it was just random and made me laugh! She said she noticed how much healthy stuff I was buying. . .I always wondered who noticed that stuff, I guess she did.

katkitten
01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm only embarrassed when I shop with my sister because she will load UP on the unhealthy stuff.
All I really buy at the store anymore is lean meat, produce, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, coffee, water, and nonfood items. I don't even eat bread all that often anymore...
It never really occurs to me to look in other people's carts. I guess if I ran into someone I knew I might, though.
HOWEVER, I am a total subway snob. I think it is so interesting that people go to subway and basically order meat and extra cheese on a loaf of white bread with mayo AND ranch and no veggies. way to turn something that could've been healthy into a heart attack waiting to happen!

oodlesofnoodles
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Hmm I didn't realize people looked in carts hardcore like that until I read this thread. I was at the store the other day and I did notice people looking in my cart and then looking at me. It was weird. I'm proud of what's in my cart though, it's always healthy stuff. But even when I fall off track I'm not embarrassed. If I want a pint of Ben&Jerry's I'm gonna buy a pint and eat it, it's my life haha.

I never really look on purpose at carts though. Sometimes there's a really overweight person with a cart overflowing with junk so it's hard to miss but I never never never judge. I just feel really bad for them. Sometimes they look really ashamed and I just want to give them a hug. :(

junebug41
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I always wonder what must people think of my cart (if they cared to even look- who knows). I buy my produce and meat at a local market and then buy the rest (frozen veggies, coffee, creamer, butter, diet soda, cheese, OJ, etc...) at the regular grocery store. If anything, they probably think I have a very limited and boring diet, void of any veggies whatsoever.

mandalinn82
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I always wonder what must people think of my cart (if they cared to even look- who knows). I buy my produce and meat at a local market and then buy the rest (frozen veggies, coffee, creamer, butter, diet soda, cheese, OJ, etc...) at the regular grocery store. If anything, they probably think I have a very limited and boring diet, void of any veggies whatsoever.

Yep - we're farmer's market predominantly for meat and produce, we buy pasta from a specialty supplier, I freeze my own tomato sauce, and we get some things (coffee, greek yogurt, chicken broth, etc) from Costco, so my grocery store list has: tortillas, olives, dried beans, whole grains, sugar free ice cream, sour cream, salsa, bagel thins, coffee creamer, cheese, and the deli turkey that our grocery store roasts and carves on site. That's pretty much it. So I always wonder what people think I'm living on...and what the coffee creamer is for!

energie
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't look at what others are buying. I don't get anything out of looking at what others are buying. It's their money, their body, and their choices. They could be buying for someone else and even if they are buying for themselves, what does they do for me? Judging is exausting and a waste of time.

bargoo
01-21-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't consider it to be judging, if I am in line behind someone who is having $150 of groceries checked out. What else can I do ? I can't help but look . Sure I might notice some of the items and be midly curious, no harm in that. Likewise I don't care if someone is womdering about my choices actually they would find it quite boring.