Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : Belly Fat Cure December 2010

Leenie
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Please continue with your posts here. Thanks for understanding :D

Leenie

kittycarlson
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone I guess this is our new thread. I did better yesterday. Stayed on plan. I'm planning to stick to plan today and tomorrow. NO MATTER WHAT. The treats are piled high here at work. I skipped the work Christmas Dinner last night as I have been struggling and my self-esteem couldn't tolerate any more failure. I'm glad I stayed away.

I'm planning to go back to the beginning on the 26th and write everything down again including water. I'm planning to eat more protein and less carbs for a while to get solidly back on plan. I think after New Years a lot of people will move into diet mode and try to undo what they did over the holidays. So far my weight is holding around 198.

Today is my last day of work until next Monday. I do promise to post more and hope everyone will. I'll try to post tomorrow but I'll say Happy Holidays now in case I miss people. We are leaving tomorrow for the Twin Cities so unless I borrow my brother's laptop will not have computer access.

deetermined2
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi,all,

I've still been slightly off plan, but even then I am low carb, low sugar. If anything I haven't eaten all of my carb servings, though I have to check to see if I'm over 15 grams of sugar for the day.

kittycarlson, have a good trip. Congrats on being back on plan.

Happy Holidays!

Me Too
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
New day new start. today I will avoid anything with sugar. I will drink 8 glasses of water and I will move and get some exercise in.
that I can do today.
depression and diets don't mix well. Thinking that cutting down on sugar stuff will help.
have a great day all

Txalupa
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Me Too/Karen,

I have depression too, and along with Lexapro, the BFC helps me A LOT. Good luck with your goals today. You can do it! Also, happy holidays to everyone!

Me Too
12-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Part of my depressions is because of my weight, so they put me on meds that i will gain weight on, geez get a clue Dr.

Thinking Atkinsish here is 120 carbs to high? can I cut them down to say 80 and still follow BFC with 15gr of sugar?

Merry Christmas Eve everybody, and don't eat Santa's cookies, he needs them.

cookinmary
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I have been tinkering with this program the last couple of days. Seems like I can never get enough to eat for breakfast. Here is what I had: 3/4 c. egg beaters with either spinach or mushrooms, zucchini and onions inside, 1 slice rye toast with butter, and 2 oz. sausage. Is that enough to eat? I wait to see if the hunger goes away, but really I could eat more food. Thoughts anyone?

ReturnToMe
12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Good morning, all. Good to see we're on a new post - it'll be easier to find those great recipes and links in the future :)

I've been floundering (feeling like a whale out of water!) And, as soon as that happens, I start looking for another diet - it's my MO. As soon as the scale gets stuck, I think the diet I'm using isn't working. Or, I pick up a new mag that has another new diet plan and think it will be THE ONE. This mania has got to stop for me. I've decided to stick to BFC, since it's the one that makes sense and has a plan I can live with. So, it's back to tracking again. I think the floundering happens when I'm no longer listing foods.

So, enjoy the Holidays. As Jorge said on a recent video, DRINK EXTRA WATER to counter-balance the extra foods and drinks during this season.

ReturnToMe
12-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Cookinmary - you might want to consider using eggs instead of egg beaters. I think they're more satisfying. Also, remember there is a snack in just a few hours. Sometimes, we eat out of habit. So, maybe after you finish your breakfast you could go for a walk or do something different than your usual routine to take your mind off of food. Anything to change a habit.

How are you at other meals or is it just breakfast you feel you want to eat more?

deetermined2
12-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate this holiday!

After trying what had been my familiy's traditional stocking stuffer, a Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange, I discovered it is way too sweet. How our palate changes with time. I guess that is a good thing , as we try to eat healthier and eliminate the excess sugar from our lives.

cookinmary
12-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Returntome,

Make a huge difference with eating whole eggs. Not hungry any more. Guess I should stick with those.

And boy, do I know where you are coming from with "looking" to yet another eating plan. I do the same thing. Nice to know I am not the only one who changes her mind. LOL

deetermined2
12-27-2010, 02:13 AM
I went to Jorge's site last week and found 3 different 7 day menus - the ULTIMATE MENU, the INDULGENT MENU, and the CLASSIC MENU. If you're looking for some meal options, you may want to print these out.

Me Too
12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I started the ultimate menu this morning, i really want this to work, i MAY have a new man in my life and I want to keep up with him.

what is the new fast track i keep hearing about? and there is a new book coming out in April, whats that about? is it any different than BFC?

cookinmary
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know what this fast track Jorge has mentioned? Explain please.

kittycarlson
12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I was off plan through last night when we got home. The positive thing was I didn't beat myself up. If I wanted something I ate it and my portions remained reasonable. I don't even feel guilty. I'm on plan today and plan to stay.

My husband has neck surgery on Wednesday. They are removing a couple of disks and fusing his spine. He will probably be in the hospital four days. I plan to take my EAS shakes along in case I get hungry at the hospital. Maybe my work cooler too. I'll be staying at my mother's and will pack some allowable groceries to eat at her place. I'll be back to the basics eggs, cheese, lean protein, low carb vegetables. Actually this may help me stay on plan. Today I'm relieved to be on plan and haven't craved at all.

Me Too
12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Cookie, this is what i found out on Me and Jorge blog.

"The Fast Track is basically the Belly Fat Cure diet plan without any grains. No cereal, breads, tortillas, crackers, rice or pasta. I see lots of postings that says it is No Carb, but this is false. It is No Grain. There is a heavy reliance on animal protein and green vegetables. It is one step closer to a Paleo diet, with the implication that we are all, in some way, allergic to or unable to process grains. Paleo and Primal diets are quite popular right now, and tend to focus on very fit people (lots of athletes). I feel Jorge's presentation is aimed more at regular, overweight folks."

That's all I know for now.

deetermined2
12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I tried making the "Bug Juice" Jorge recommends for the first time yesterday. I didn't have any cucumber so threw in some Romaine lettuce instead. I ended up adding a little stevia to it, as Amber did. It tastes very green but drinkable. I asked my DH if he wanted to try a taste, and he drank the whole second serving, though he added sea salt to his. It tasted a little like gazpacho with the salt.

There are several different places that attribute weight gain to lack of nutrients. One of the things that I was surprised to discover is that only 4% to 15% of the magnesium in supplements is absorbed because of the particle size. The magnesium from plants is much more easily absorbed by the body. Thus, the green drinks that are out there.

Magnesium is suppose to increase metabolism and insulin sensitivity, as well as increase energy levels.

I injured my ACL several years ago, and had excruciating muscle spasms on 3 days that I had forgotten to take my magnesium supplements. Wonder what that says for my levels?

Txalupa
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi ladies, just checking in. Deetermined, the bug juice sounds interesting but a little gross-- I might have to try it now, just to see!

To be honest, I'm a little afraid to try the Fast Track. I've been doing well on the current BFC (since March 2010) and I don't want to mess with a good thing. Is anyone thinking of trying it?

I read Amber's blog pretty regularly, so I know the premise, but I think the beauty of regular BFC is that I feel normal while on it. This may be an excuse, but I don't think I would feel normal with no grains, hahah! I eat oatmeal for breakfast, high fiber/low carb tortillas for lunch with tuna or peanut butter, etc. So I think the Fast Track would be too extreme.

Thoughts?? Have a great Tuesday!

Me Too
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
i'm sticking with regular BFC. This morning I had my usual, eggs sausage 1 WW toast with cream cheese, not hungry for lunch and had a cheese stick for a snack, dinner will be a couple of tacos from Taco Bell 1/1 and a green salad at home.
chocolate almond milk as a snack tonight.
I love this diet!! maybe not the best of days, but I'm in my target and I dont feel deprived or guilty, so I'm happy.

Txalupa
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Me too, Me too! I think the reason I've been doing it so long is that I don't feel deprived. I also think I will be having taco bell for lunch...

Proof: My mother sent me home from Christmas with a tupperware container of cookies to give to my friends because she 'trusted me to not eat them' more than she trusts herself. Hah!

Me Too
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
this works it really works!!
i have lost 3lbs since Monday!! ok its water but i don't care the scale is going down.
I love love BFC and I will continue to watch my sugar and cut the carbs.
I got the S/C counter book, my new best friend.
do it, just do it if i can anyone can do BFC

15star35
12-31-2010, 01:21 AM
I am new to this thread and the site but I am going shopping tomorrow with the intentions of starting the BFC on Jan 1. Do any of you have some words of wisdom for this newbie?

deetermined2
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi and welcome 15star35,

Lots of things are BFC friendly, it's just a matter of reading labels and checking for carbs and sugars. Jorge has some menus and even shopping lists on his web site for the 3 new versions of BFC.

My shopping list generally includes things like stevia (others prefer Truvia) since there are no artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin, Splenda (sucralose), or aspartame allowed on BFC. I also get eggs, cold cuts, chicken, fish, cheese, walnuts or other nuts, unsweetened almond milk, cream (milk has sugars), Ezekiel bread, Greek yogurt, vegetables (remember that some have sugars and carbs), salad makings, and salad dressing (check for sugar).

I also suggest Sobe Lifewater, if you are craving something sweet. Just make sure it is one of the ones made with Purevia. 85% dark chocolate is also good, just watch sugars and serving size.

15star35
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks determined2. I printed off all three menus yesterday and took them shopping with me. I found most everything I needed and I am ready to start today. I have also announced to my husband, who will certainly benefit from this too, that we are watching our sugar and carbs. Not sure who this will be tougher on - he likes a little coffee with his sugar;). I am really hoping that this is the final time I start and re-start this journey.......I'd like to make it a life style this time around; and I am seeking support from this site. From what I have read so far, I think I have come to the right place.

deetermined2
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Txalupa and all,

If the BFC works well for you, why switch over. I think it is the easiest plan that I have ever seen.

I think the Fast Track is for someone like me with grain sensitivities, who may have more food reactions than he/she is aware of, and is more likely to stall on regular BFC.

Fast Track may also be slightly faster, but with more sacrifices. Some people switch back and forth between the 2 plans.

Txalupa
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Txalupa and all,

If the BFC works well for you, why switch over. I think it is the easiest plan that I have ever seen.

I think the Fast Track is for someone like me with grain sensitivities, who may have more food reactions than he/she is aware of, and is more likely to stall on regular BFC.

Fast Track may also be slightly faster, but with more sacrifices. Some people switch back and forth between the 2 plans.

I think this is a good call, I'm not really searching for rapid fat-melting, but more of a way to not go out of control with food anymore. I think we've found it!

As for 15star35:

I'm sure you already went grocery shopping, but my faves are unsweetened almond milk, Simply Jif peanut butter (2 sugars, 6 carbs) per serving, baby bel mini cheese servings, tuna/mayo/dill relish for tuna salad, celery and some sort of spinach dip or cream cheese for snacks, trader joe's sprouted whole grain bread (very low carb per slice and zero sugar), and smokehouse almonds.

Let us know how it goes!

kittycarlson
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm back to my normal life. I didn't do so well last weekend but I'm on track the past two days.

It looks like we have some new people... welcome all and good luck!!! Suggestions for newbies. I enjoy deviled eggs made with a little mayo for snacks. I also buy rotisserie chicken or cook breasts and make chicken salad with some celery and mayo sometimes almonds too. I like the unsweetened chocolate almond milk warmed up a little with cinnamon for an evening snack. Another weird thing I have found is if I eat meat for breakfast I'm not at all hungry all morning.

I also went to the doctor for a physical and asked them what my highest weight was there and they found 255.5 in June of 2009. I didn't weigh myself for years. I weighed 202 fully clothed, shoes and all last Tuesday in his office. The Dr. complimented me on my blood pressure but didn't say a word about my losing weight. I was kind of disapointed. I had lots of lab work done so hopefully I''ll see some improvement there.

I'm glad the holidays are over and I'm back to my routine. My mother made my favorite cake for my birthday. We were staying with her after my husband's surgery. I was surprised I really didn't like the frosting at all. It was way too sweet. I ate two small pieces over three days and took most of the frosting off. I've also noticed that normal food taste really salty because I haven't been using much salt at all. So it seems my body adjusting and is resetting what tastes good to me.

cutesmile
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Happy New Year to you all. :)

I had decided to go back to a low-carb eating plan after the holidays and it's day 2 back on the wagon. I am sensitive to grains so I don't have breads, potatoes, rice, etc., but I'm looking at the BFC mostly as a guideline of what to feed my two daughters. They are 15 and 9. My baby is nearly 2, but I'm not worried about his eating as he's smarter than the rest of us. When he is not hungry, he doesn't eat. ;-)
My 15 year old was using the BFC guidelines and slimmed down, so she's all about giving up the sugar (and junky starches), but my 9 year old is not-too-thrilled about not having crackers and soda and the other stuff. But seeing as you can't eat what's not in the refrigerator (or cupboard, etc), she's going to have to take better care of her body whether she likes it or not.
My hope is that as a family we will all be eating healthier food and feeling better. :)
I wish you all success with your healthy goals! :)
CS

ckatgo
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

I started the plan two days ago and I don't think things are going too well. I ate pizza tonight (unapproved). My first goal is to get to the beginning of Feb. without cheating! I think because the plan is so easy that I forget I am trying to change my eating. If that makes sense....

Nice to see this thread, I am off to the store to look for that almond milk, sounds delish!

deetermined2
01-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi, everyone!

ckatgo, there is a good recipe for a cauliflower pizza crust at Amber's
www.meandjorge.com
I know it sounds unusual but it is quite good. Just put it on something that contains it well, otherwise you may have additional cleanup. I ended up grating my cauliflower with the grater blade of the food processor so it went quickly.

In terms of occasional treats, I make my own hot chocolate using Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa, stevia, hot water, cream, and a little whipped cream (watch the sugars in the whipped cream).

kittycarlson, the warm unsweetened chocolate almond milk with cinnamon sounds good. I'll have to try it.

Zinger
01-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'm jumping on BFC today. Got the book, need pointers on starting - i think I got the concept, now to see if I can do it.

Will you be starting a January thread, or continuing here?

ckatgo
01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
urg....I am tired today!! But I am determined to do this WOE right!

On to the gym...

thanks for the link and the hot cooca recipe, I have to try it now!

Lwrgrl
01-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi Everyone! I've been doing the BFC now for 4 full days (today is day 5), and I stepped on the scale hoping to see some big drop -- and nothing. In fact, I've gained a pound! I have not been doing one of his weekly menus because I found it difficult to think of planning/cooking/eating those things each day. Plus, I'm a great cook and my husband is a professional chef (he is doing this with me). So we've been preparing meals that have low s/c values for each of our meals.

I've been charting my food intake, and I haven't been reaching the 15 g/6 serving each day. But I'm not trying to limit myself - I am full all day long! Here is what I am eating, so any advice is much appreciated!

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with 4 stalks of asparagus and a bit of homemade turkey sausage (no sugar in the sausage).

Snack 1: 2 oz of cheese

Lunch: Salad with romaine, chicken, crumbled egg, and ranch dressing.

Snack 2: Tuna salad (tuna, mayo - no sugar-, pickles - no sugar) on one slice of ezekial 4:9 bread.

Dinner: Hamburger with no bun. Side of creamed spinach (spinach, heavy cream, parm cheese, 2 tsp of flour).

I'm 100% believer in the concept of this diet, but as I looked at the number on the scale today, it made me doubt what I've committed to. I used to be a total sugar and carb-aholic! So I would think that now that I've cut out mostly all sugar and refined foods, that I'd see some numbers move on the scale.

Also, if anyone wanted more science to back up Jorge's plan, I suggest reading an article that appeared in the NY Times a few years ago. The same guy (Gary Taubes) has a book out that I've ordered from amazon to reinforce in my mind that this is the right way to eat. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to post the link here (thanks forum), so google "what if it's all been a big fat lie" and you should get a hit on the NY Times article.

Me Too
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Didn't Amber say on her blog it took her 3 months to start losing weight?
I have been off and on for a while now but still lost 5 lbs. i have had some issues come up and had to deal with them, but now im back on track. i believe in this diet and it will become my eating plan for life.

kittycarlson
01-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone,
Day three back on plan!!! lwlgrl welcome. I read what you've been eating and the only suggestion I have is that maybe some of the portions are a little high. Try two eggs instead of three, 1 ounce of cheese instead of two.

One thing I found when I started this plan was that I wasn't as regular as before. So if thats the case with you that might be an issue too. I also have difficulty drinking all the water and notice when I don't that my weightloss stagnates. Well that's my two cents. Glad you and your hubby are here.

This plan really works for me but I will admit weight loss has been slow and steady. I never had any of that fast weightloss Jorge talks about in his books. I think that is probably hype. But this is a really doable plan where I don't feel deprived. I also think I can do it long term.

Txalupa
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi ladies! Lwrgrl, your menu sounds great! How wonderful to have a chef on board hahaha! Needless to say I'm a bit jealous. As for the portions, I've had no problems eating 3 eggs at a time with a bunch of bacon, and Jorge doesn't say to limit anything but sugar and carbs so go for it!!

Tonight I am making eggplant parm!

sliced eggplant dipped in egg beaters and breaded with grated parm (no breadcrumbs)

Fried up in a bit of olive oil

Covered with Mozzerella and Trader Joes 3 cheese tomato sauce (6 g carbs/<1g sugar) and baked in the oven

This is how I prep my chicken parm too. I'm getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Lunch today was 3 chicken tacos from Qdoba, 2 crunchy, 1 soft with cheese, sour cream and fiery habanero salsa. I think its a 4/2 (4 sugar, 39 carbs).

Hope you're all having a lovely day!

Jnetmomx5
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi! I just started the BFC diet today. I don't have the book, but I'm just following the 15 sugar and 6 servings of carbs that a friend of mine told me to try. I've never dieted intentionally before so this is a whole new adventure for me! My biggest challenge is my incredible rootbeer addiction.

I'd love any tips or especially any easy recipes to try!

Txalupa
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Jnetmom! If you're addicted to rootbeer, check out Zevia root beer. It is an all natural diet soda and the root beer flavor is pretty good. It's not cheap though, so I use Zevia as more of a treat than a regular drink. You can find it at whole foods, and I'm not sure where else, but check their website.

Good morning, everyone!

kittycarlson
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone,
Day four back on plan. I'll be home tomorrow and will weigh for the first time in a week. I'm trying to eat more protein and drink more water. I love cheese and am having some but less than before because I can get carried away. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Jnetmomx5
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks Txalupa for the tip on the root beer. I'm hoping to finally make it out to do some grocery shopping this weekend!
I'm thinking I might look for the BFC book at Walmart or Meijer while I'm there. It would be nice to have some recipes or even just lists to work from. I've been reading labels and pretty much just eating what I already have at home and it's been a little rough! Today I have a killer headache and last night I felt like I was starving and would have done just about anything for a candy bar! I ended up eating a pudding cup which made me go over on the sugar, but it was soooo good :D hehe..

Today I had 2 scrambled eggs with cheese on top and 4 strips of bacon. Previously I have never been a breakfast eater and really hate cooking anything. I would rather have something I can just grab (like a granola bar, yogurt, fruit). What do you eat for breakfast?

ps - weighed today - morning of day 3 and the scale showed a 4 pound loss! I hope it's for real! :D

glenlea
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi, i am on day 7. I measured and weighed myself yesterday as i was going out for dinner last night and did not know if it would be possible to stay on target.
Well, the results were, i lost nothing in weight but i lost 2cm from my bust, waist and abdomen. I measure my ab and my hips seperately as after my lovely hysterectomy i had a few weeks ago, my ab area is still huge. (mind you it wasn't small before the op either :-)). So 6 cm in total but no weight loss i can live with.
My breakfast was a portabello mushroom fried with a slice of ham and an egg in it. Lovely. Lunch was a curry with no rice but about a 1/2 potato and lots of veges and dinner a roast with veges and a creme brulee for dessert. I thought i would be way over in my sugars but turns out it was not as bad as expected.

I have given myself 1 month to see results on this plan before i thought about changing to another diet. I am like that, i need to see results quickly and i think this is the diet for that. Maybe no weight loss but the measuring tape works better.
Good luck ladies and gentlemen, dont give up too soon. :-)

kittycarlson
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi All,
Breakfast was a cheddarwurst and a couple of scrambled eggs. I don't always cook breakfast but usually gets some foods ready and in small ziplock containers on Sunday or so. I usually even measure out my cereal so I'm not tempted to cheat on portion sizes. I have some hard boiled eggs. That I am struggling to eat, just the thought makes me want to gag. I've eaten so may of them. I'm into cottage cheese now though so that is fast and easy. Glenea how did you make the creme brulee? I've been thinking about it the past couple of weeks. I used to have a Suzanne Summers book that had a good recipe in it But haven't been able to find it.

glenlea
01-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry Kitty, i had dinner at a friends and she made it. I know it was with cream and vanilla essence with a touch of brown and caster sugar on the top.

I know what you mean about hard boiled eggs. I have these for a snack and they just do not cut it. I almost feel like gagging thinking about eating these. I dont like cheese (unless its cooked on pizza or lasanga etc) so what else can i eat for snacks besides nuts?? Any suggestions anyone?

PS Kitty, well done on your weight loss. Is this all from BFC?

kittycarlson
01-08-2011, 09:50 PM
No I was losing before starting BFC so the weight I've lost on BFC is important as I had plateaued on the smoothie thing I was doing last summer. I've probably lost 12-15 LBS on BFC. I'm real happy with that.

About snacks. My meals and snacks get kind of mixed up as I eat when I'm hungry. So it might be a cup of chicken salad if I'm hungry or some hard salami. I used to love the eggs but it's hard to eat them now. Other things are celery and cream cheese, cheese and crackers. almond butter and wasa bread or tuna salad and a couple of wasa breads. Tonight since I haven't had many carbs I'm having whipped cream with cream cheese whipped in, truvia and lemon extract.
I probably wouldn't eat anything so high fat if I had had many carbs today. That may be some left over Aitkins thinking. So its more intuition than knowledge. I just feel I have a little more room for high calorie foods if I am on the low end of the carb spectrum.

Yesterday I was on the higher end of the carb thing as I had a couple of meatballs with tomato sauce. I made the meatballs so know they had some bread crumbs in them and of course the sauce would also have some. I also ate about 4-5 pieces of whole wheat fettucine. My meals are smallish but my snacks are biggish. I'm doing more like 5 small meals per day.

deetermined2
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi, all!

Is anyone doing the Fast Track January coaching with Jorge Cruise for $200?

deetermined2
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
kitty carlson,

I tried your chocolate unsweetened almond milk (USAM) with cinnamon, but iced it. Is that ever delicious!!!

kittycarlson
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Sounds good determined. Just bought some more almond milk today. I forgot to add before that I put a liitle truvia in but with the cinnamon you barely need it. I made it back to my pre-Chrismas weight today. Had some delicious brocoli and cheese soup tonight made with 1/2 and 1/2. It was a nice break from all the protein. Have a nice week.

reinventedflo
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone!!
I started the BFC last week and am down 6 lbs. I saw that someone made broccoli and cheese soup, could I get the recipe?

kittycarlson
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
reinventedflo,
I didn't really use a recipe. I used a large bunch of brocoli, tops and stems, 1 package 8oz sharp cheddar cheese and about 1 TBS chicken base with 1 pint of 1/2 and 1/2. I steamed the chopped up brocoli. Mixed the cream, cheese and chicken base at a fairly low temperature until the cheese melted. Put it all together. It made a large amount. My husband and I each had a bowl and I packaged up 4 one cup serving in Zip lock bowls for work this week. It's a nice change from all the protein. Welcome to BFC and I hope you do well. 6 LBS in one week is fantastic.

reinventedflo
01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks kittycarson! It sounds really good and will definately try it..

Txalupa
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Great work everyone!! Welcome to everyone who is starting and congrats on all the losses!

Kitty, that soup sounds awesome. I may have to try that. Hope everyone is having a great week!

sandyfanny
01-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi BFC Chicks,

What are the basics of the BFC diet? I've been on Atkins for almost six months, but I'm thinking about changing it up a bit. I really appreciate your help.

deetermined2
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi and welcome sandyfanny,

BFC is basically a limited carb, low sugar plan. You are allowed 6 servings of carbs per day. A serving is 5-20 carbs (unlike Atkins this plan doesn't use Net Carbs), if it is below 5 carbs don't count it.

Sugars are limited to 15 sugars per day, only 5 at any one time so that your insulin isn't impacted. Unfortunately, every sugar counts.

The only other restriction is no artificial sweeteners - no aspartame, no saccharin, and no Splenda.

You are allowed stevia, Truvia, Purevia, xylitol, and the other sugar alcohol that starts with an e. Maltitol is allowed but it causes adverse reactions in some people and might have an insulin impact according to one study.

Everything else is up to you. You are allowed meat, dairy (milk has sugars as you know from Atkins), vegetables (watch the sugars), grains (yes, bread, cereal, rice, etc.), legumes, and fruit(really watch the sugars in this area-some fruits are better than others, such as berries, others have 5 sugars in a bite, practically). You can make it as nutritious or trashy as you want. Most of us are going for nutritious, but it isn't required. Just remember the guidelines stated above.

I know there had been three sample plans with shopping lists on Jorge Cruise's website, but I don't know if they are still there.

And yes, at least for me, most of the weight came off my belly and my butt.

sandyfanny
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks so much for posting, Determined2. I sounds as if you are allowed many more total carbs per day than on Atkins Induction. 6 servings per day of 5 - 20 carbs? So you could have 120 carbs in a day and still be on your eating plan or am I missing something here?

I'll have to think about this. I'm afraid I'd trigger carb cravings with such a generous range...but maybe I'd really do well. I appreciate your help.

glenlea
01-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Hi everyone, i have now been doing this for 2 wks. This week i have lost 1.5kgs and 1 cm on my waist. Last week i lost no weight but 2 cm on waist. I am not sure which i am happier with.
Its quite an easy diet to follow. I have had less setbacks this week than last week. I am getting used to no sugars in my coffee and drinking more water (soda water). I use Xylitol but only when i want something sweet (maybe once every 3 days). Its really really expensive here.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue2/fireworks01/kg/64/56/62.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

deetermined2
01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Congratulations on your losses, glenlea!

That's one of the nice things about the BFC. People think I've lost more weight than I have because of where I lost it.

sandyfanny, yes, it is possible to have 120 carbs and be on plan. That being said I don't think most of us try to maximize that number. I've heard elsewhere that optimal fat burning is suppose to occur between 50-100 carbs.
I always buffer my carbs with protein.

Having snacks such as nuts or string cheese is encouraged so that you don't get too hungry.

Actually, that is a good question.

How many carbs do other BFCers eat in a day?

glenlea
01-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone, I had a big problem today. I was hungry. This was about afternoon tea time and i could not find anything to eat. I dont like cheese and had no nuts in the house. I had eggs for brekkie so didnt want any more. What else can i eat??
Any suggestions for snacks please?

deetermined2
01-15-2011, 03:07 PM
glenlea,

Some snack options follow-

Celery and nut butter or cream cheese, watch sugars in the nut butter.

Low carb crackers with same.

Veggies and hummus.

Cold cuts.

Cold cuts wrapped in lettuce with mayo or dressing. (watch sugars)

Use one of your carb servings up with any of the above.

Have a salad.

Have a stevia sweetened protein shake. (check carbs and sugars)

Greek yogurt with berries or stevia and cinnamon. (check carbs and sugars)

Use your imagination. Just don't go above 15 sugars and 6 servings of carbs for the day.

deetermined2
01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi, all!

You heard my rant about the oils (soy, safflower, sunflower, and a couple of others) used in most processed food are the ones that are used to fatten livestock.

I found a great book for making some of your own BFC friendly dressings (that only use olive oil or other healthy ingredients), dips, and more. Haven't tried them yet but they sound wonderful.

SUGAR BUST For Life...with the Brennans Part II Cookbook and Companion Guide

The Brennans own the famous Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, and use these recipes there. So I have great expectations.

glenlea
01-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi All, I had a bad day today. I am not even going to add up my sugar and carbs for today. I got up this morning and weighed myself and not only did i put back on the 1.5kgs i lost last week but also put on an extra kilo!! I dont even know how i managed this as i have been very diligent on what i have been eating and drinking. I just got really down about it and then binged on sugar. I am hoping when i wake up tomorrow i will feel motivated to forget today and start again.

deetermined2
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I went off plan yesterday and ate some of my daughter's birthday cake. Did I feel awful afterward.

Don't know whether it was the sugar or a little bit of flour. But whatever it was left me feeling yucky.

texrhonda
01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I am fairly new to the BFC lifestyle. This is week 2 for me. The first week I lost 6 lbs and when I weighed in Monday I was back up 2 lbs. I was a little disappointed, but still going forward for sure. I have been on almost every diet out there and so far this is the most do-able one for me. I never feel deprived. Now obviously I did something wrong last week to gain 2 lbs, but I am still positive this works. I am really glad to read all of your stories...and would love to get to know all of you. Reading this forum makes me feel motivated, knowing there are others out there doing this same thing.

glenlea
01-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Well back on track today. I feel motivated again but feel really guilty about yesterdays blow out. Wierd thing was i had dropped one of those kilos on this mornings weigh in. I wonder if my scales are not working properly. I might invest in a decent set this weekend. I hope i dont have too much work to do to make up for yesterday though. I hope everyone else is doing well.

tostosbe
01-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Never get too much excited when you have a close encounter with yummy food. You have to reduce the amount of your daily protein intake. So just forget about juicy pork sausages and ham burgers. Start eating small meals 5-6 times a day. Overeating should be avoided as well. Your meal should include proper ratio of foods that such as 40% vegetables, fruits and beans, 30% low-fat dairy products, chicken and fish and 30% percent oils of fish, olive and nuts.

Read more:- how-to-lose-lower-belly-fat.yourhealthorbit.com

kittycarlson
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
tostosbe? If you're following BFC low fat dairy and 40% vegetables fruits and beans probably won't fit into the low carb aspects of it. Hamburger and sausage should be OK. My diet is probably weighted towards protein. I do go with the 5-6 small meals though.

I'm down another LB after the gain over Christmas thing.

glenlea those blowouts are miserable. I was thinking as I was driving this AM that what sets me apart from the way I used to eat is that it didn't bother me when I ate unhealthy stuff. I probably didn't have craving or recognize it until I started to resist those urges. Now I have to suffer a little when I'm tempted and even more if I give in.

I truly believe I am addicted to carbs, sugar and sweets. I know if I can continue to eat on plan in the long run I will be much healthier and happier. I know from past experience from past blowouts that it takes me at least three days until I am comfortable again with my WOE. Don't worry too much about the 2 LBS that you gained. It seems that when we lose water weight that we can gain it back quickly when our carbs are higher or we eat more sodium. You'll find that it goes back off just as fast.

There is a gal on here that goes by Kaplods. She is very inspirational and articulate. You might want to check out some of her posts. She is on a different low carb plan but I think what she says still applies. She talks about how she "failed off 80 LBS" by sticking to a plan despite blowouts and mess-ups. We aren't perfect. I believe if I stick to this that I will slowly lose and over time the little losses will add up to a big loss overall.

Hang in there. You can do it.

dancingfish
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Hello gang- I am back..... (I tried this diet 3 months ago for about 3 weeks and then was lured into a life of sweets and carbs) sooo here I am again a size bigger and in more need of a diet than ever...

I honestly wasn't sure weather to jump back on the Belly Fat diet or go back to my trusted friend WW-- But I do feel in some respects that being off of sugar and carbs is somewhow better for me...so here I am.. still trying to wrap my brain around the lack of fruit/veggies in my diet and the amount of cheese that I stuff into my body--

I do have a few questions: I only have a Bloom, Gaint, safeway and Harris Teeter grocery store around me... and none of them carry any of the brands that the book has in it for Bread, soda or pastas... do you have any mainstream ideas?

kittycarlson
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I can't get those foods either. I read labels. I buy crackers, wasa breads, pitas, low carb tortillas at my local stores I make sure they are whole wheat and don't have sugar or too high of a carb count per serving. When I go to the nearest big town I have more choices but still not the ones jorge talks about except maybe the tortillas and sobe water. It still seems to work despite being a slow process. I've never had the fast weightloss he promises but that is OK.

deetermined2
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I read The 15 Worst Health and Diet Myths (on Yahoo) from another thread. The first myth was that we are eating too much protein. The author said that a flabby 180 lb. woman wants to eat 160 grams of protein per day if her goal weight is 160 lean pounds.

I know I am not eating nearly enough protein.

2 eggs - 6 grams each ( total 12)
2 slices cheese - 4 grams each (total 8)
Breakfast Total 20

Only 140 grams more protein to eat for the day.

deetermined2
01-19-2011, 06:25 PM
The article is under Weight Loss News and Current Events.

The thread is Very Good Article on Yahoo.

glenlea
01-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi Kittycarlson, thanks for the note. I really do appreciate it. I have read up some of Kaplods posts and she is really inspirational. This was just what i needed. Thanks again.

kittycarlson
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Where is everybody??? I keep checking but no posts so I decided I better post as others are probably doing the same thing. This was a hard week. I think I was low on the carb end as well as the sugar. I did eat quite a bit of cheese and processed meats. I also drank a bunch of illegal diet soda and decreased my water consumption. Anyway after an initial loss at the beginning of the week I jumped back up a couple LBS when I was expecting another loss. I have to admit I have been less diligent about my exercise too. January blahs. Ugh.

Well I've commited myself to no soda and I'm back to hot green tea and plain old water. Hopefully that will help flush out the regain. I will walk everyday on the treadmill.

How's everyone else doing?

Determined did you get back on track after the cake? I hope so. Let me know how you are doing.

deetermined2
01-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi, all!

I'm back on plan but still stalled. I need to get in more exercise, too. I've been trying to figure out what is going on with my metabolism. I've been reading a few other books trying to figure out if it's just the exercise, or if my thyroid is sluggish, or my adrenals are burned out. Or whether it is just another food intolerance besides the ones I'm aware of.

I've been reading The Blood Type Diet, Eat Right 4 Your Type, and the Schwartzbein Program. I'm planning on checking out Ferguson's book, too.

Two of the books suggest building muscle, along with walking.

Schwartzbein says to never eat just protein. I found that interesting, since she's an endocrinologist. I do that too often, when I grab a snack.

Hopefully, eliminating the artificial sweeteners will have an immediate positive impact on your scale readings, kittycarlson.

kittycarlson
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Welcome back determined I missed you. I'm stalled too. I even feel fatter in my clothes. I do recall that a couple of weeks ago I was seeing lots of tiny wrinkles on my hands and even thighs. Not so pretty. Well they aren't there now so maybe I was dehydrated then? I'll be home and weigh tomorrow. I hope I can be resonable enough to except the scale without emotional upheaval. I also have been trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe a little obsessively.

I also eat protein alone maybe thats the problem.

When I'm not losing I probably cut back on carbs then I question whether that's the problem.

The doctor also put me on Wellbutrin and the end of December so I'm wondering if that is the problem.

I know I don't move as much as I should maybe that's the problem.

I have been eating most of my carbs at the end of the day. I don't get home until 7:30 or 8:00 and thats when I have my i/2 cup of cereal maybe thats the problem.

See I am crazy or at least I feel that way right now.

Now my intellectual side knows that if I stick to this eventually I will see a positive change. On the plus side I have been drinking lots of water this week. Also having my green tea in the AM.

deetermined2
01-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi, kittycarlson and all!

The research coming out suggests that we need a combination of protein and carbs to lose weight 40% faster than on a low carb diet.

The combinations are:
protein + 1 fast carb
protein + 1 fast carb + 1 slow carb
protein + 3 slow carbs

There was only a too brief article in First for Women. It only showed examples of 3 meals and really didn't define much. It also failed to mention anything about fat.

The 1st combo picture was a breakfast, the second a lunch, the third a dinner. I have no idea if that is significant.

I think there is a mention in meandjorge about eating your carbs before 3 p.m.

I am planning on trying to find out more about the plan. Will let you know what I find out.

Reebee
01-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread. I've been on a no carb, no sugar, no dairy diet since late November 2010. My starting weight at that time was 227 lbs. I am now down to 209.5 lbs, which is good, but I need to add some dairy and carbs back into my diet. That's what brings me to the BFC diet. At least I can use Almond Milk on this and I can eat cheese too!!. It's better than no dairy at all. I plan on posting once a week, on Fridays. Good luck to all out there and keep up the good work.

Reebee

kittycarlson
01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I saw that article in First too. I bought one but haven't really figured it out yet. I wish it had been more complete. I noticed that about the fat too. That's a big question. I stayed over last night at work so won't weigh until tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed. I had a good on plan week. No soda either. Lots of water. My evening carbs might be a problem. Maybe next week I'll flip them around. The only thing is carbs in the AM make me hungry.
Welcome Reebee. Glad to have you.

deetermined2
01-29-2011, 12:34 AM
I've been eating carbs after 3 p.m., too, (since there are several researchers that recommend not eating protein alone). Whoever wrote The Big Breakfast Diet suggests carbs eaten early in the day are burned as fuel, with that not happening if you eat them at night. I wish I knew who to believe.

Did you see the recommendation to drink lots of green tea? It, in and of itself, is suppose to help weight loss without any other changes. I need to drink more.

There is an interesting thread on 3FC about weight training. I think I need to work at building muscle mass. Right now my arms actually fit into the cute jackets I like. I'm a little afraid that if they get more muscular some of them won't fit. Again. (At times, I've had tennis arm(s).) I guess there is always weight training the rest of me.

Glad to have you join us, Reebee.

Hope the scale is kind tomorrow, kittycarlson.

kittycarlson
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I've been trying to do the green tea thing. Flavored in the AM and decaf in the afternoon. I saw somewhere that you are supposed to drink quite a bit. Well the scale was not kind. Still up a couple pounds. My daughter told me that one of her roomates in DC lost a lot of weight doing the low carb thing. He was also muscular when I saw him so apparently lifted a lot. Anyway he told her that he would have 1-2 days per week that weren't low carb to shake it up a bit. I've been thinking of going back to earlier BFC posts and see if I can figure out what happend to them. Hope you are having a nice weekend.

libertympc
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I am new to the Flat Belly though it is sad to say that I have had the book for several months. The book shows people who have lost 10 to 20 pounds but a bunch of inches. I need to lose my belly for sure. Can you tell me how much inches compared to weight that everyone is losing on the Belly Fat Cure?

TheSquirrel
01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Everybody! I am new to the group and the Belly Fat Cure (one week into it). I have to say, I think you gals are amazing and doing a great job. I read 47 pages of your previous forum and I learned a lot. I am down 3 pounds in the past week. Excited and encouraged! Good luck Everybody!

VinoGal
01-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi Everyone...
I was watching Rachael Ray today when she had the author of Belly Fat Cure on as a guest. In the past, I have had success with low carb diets. But they were extremely restrictive regarding carbs of any kind. Listening to him talk about the program, I knew I can do this. I started out the year with the goal of getting healthier. I am on an intense vitamin regimen and feel that this type of eating can only add to my goals. I have a lot of weight that I need to lose. So far I am not diabetic, thank God, but I do suffer from fibromyalgia, so exercise of any type is extremely difficult most days. My 16 year old son also needs to lose his "belly fat" and I hope to encourage him to do this with me. I am so glad that I have found this forum. Good luck to everyone!!

Rocki
01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Can someone tell me where to find the previous posts? I'd like to learn more about this plan.

deetermined2
02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Welcome to all the new BFCers. It's nice to have you join us.

Sorry the scale wasn't kind, kittycarlson. There was a thread on 3FC about cheat meals. One woman was testing it and found that she lost more if she cheated one day per week or something like that. Previously there had been another thread on this.

There is a Jackie Warner thread here, too. One of the things she allows is 2 off plan meals per week. She also believes in 20 minute interval cardio plus weights, 5 days per week.

It's late will post more tomorrow.

kittycarlson
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Welcome all newbies. We are glad to have you here. Was it Jorge who was on Rachel Ray?

Determined, that's so funny about Jackie Warner I just ordered her book on Amazon yesterday. I was thinking more about the green tea. I few years back I was taking a green tea supplement that I bought at Walmart. It was fairly inexpensive. It did seem to help some. Maybe I'll buy another box or at least read the back. I don't think I could drink the amount of green tea some recommend for weightloss.

I've also moved my uncle sam's cereal to the AM as that is my major carb of the day. The rest come as green vegetables. I did find an interesting Lavosh this weekend. I'ts made with whole wheat and flax seeds. Looks like it might be made by Joseph's. Anyway a serving is half of a huge rectangle. I made a alfredo chiken and brocoli pizza with mozzerella cheese. It made eight good sized pieces and my hubby and I just ate two each. I had two for lunch yeasterday and planning to finish it for lunch today. I used the rest of the chicken to make a chicken salad for the rest of the week.

When my daughter suggested I up my carb intake I just couldn't make myself do it. I guess I am in a round about way as I have increased the amount but am still within Jorge's recommendation.

I did go back and read the old posts. Most people seem to slide away after a time. If there are any past BFCers lurking please post. How are you doing? Still Stalled?

kittycarlson
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Rockie, The old BFC posts are under other low carb diets in the Belly fat cure section not named 2010. They actually just closed the old section in December of 2010. Hope you find them. There are also some posts under BFC acountability in the same area.

deetermined2
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi, Rocki,

Go to Other Reduced Carb Diets and go down the list until you see just Belly Fat Cure. It will say 799 to the right. That is the end of the last thread that was closed out in December, since they try to limit threads to 500 postings.

There is also an old Belly Fat Cure Accountability, but no one is really using it anymore. But you may learn something from it. There are other old threads related to BFC in the list, too.

Happy reading!

VinoGal
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Happy Tuesday Everyone...
I ordered the Belly Fat Cure book and the Sugar/Carb Counter book yesterday from Amazon. Should be here sometime next week, unless the weather that is plaguing most of the U.S. delays it. Lucky for me, it is a sunny, but cold day outside. I am really looking forward to starting the program. In a way, I am watching the sugar/carb intake already, but will hit it hard when I get the book. I even have my teenage son on board to start with me, although he is scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks and wants to start after that. I hope everyone has a great day.

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Sorry, kittycarlson (and all),

Looked for new posts but must have forgotten to refresh this thread. I would not have answered Rocki and would have responded to your first one if I had spotted your two.

I had just arrived back, semi-braindead after having driven through a snowstorm for 2 hours. The conditions were bad enough that I didn't dare pass for over 20 miles on an interstate, since the left lane was that rutted. And my car is AWD. Not fun. I do not enjoy white knuckle driving.

We are expecting another 18-20 inches over the next 2 days and then another storm on Saturday. AH!!!!

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
kittycarlson and all,

Too funny! I had carted Jackie's book on Amazon at about the same time you ordered it. It's still in my cart.

I've started Ferguson, but haven't gotten too far, but-
minimum 64 -96 oz. of water
tea second best beverage
up to 45 NET carbs per meal
at least around 100 grams of carbs per day
3 meals, 2 snacks per day

The idea is to change body composition. The scale isn't nearly as important as BMI. You should weigh in on a scale that gives fat to lean weights/ %.
You should take a bunch of measurements with a tape measure all over your body, in order to be able to recognize changes, as well as starting pictures.

He claims that too often weight loss is muscle mass, (which leads to weight gain later, since you are burning fewer calories). His diet /exercise plan is designed to increase muscle mass, to ensure that what is lost is fat.

And that's as far as I've gotten in the book.

I purchased a new teapot to encouraged me to make 4 cups of green tea at a time. I need to put it to use. Having it there should make it easier to drink. How many cups per day did you hear we're suppose to drink for optimal results?

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
From reading the Jackie thread it sounds like you need so many servings of veg per day, no matter what.

Another book I started awhile ago, is The Gabriel Method. He says your body will lose the weight "when it is ready" and when it gets the nutrients and nourishment that it needs. That our bodies are holding onto the weight because they are "starving" for something, for certain vitamins or minerals or something else, and when they get them, the weight will fall off.

Wonder if the nutrients in tons of veg could be "the answer". Just wish I knew what my body is holding out for.

kittycarlson
02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi ALL, Sorry about the snow determined, you must be in the midwest. I'm in ND and this storm went south of us. YAY! We have so much snow on the ground they are already planning for floods. The third in three years. I've lived in this town since 1976 and it has only flooded twice. Both in the last two years. I hope we don't get another flake the rest of the winter. I drive too and hate road conditions. I don't dare pass either. I figure I rather have it take a few minutes more and get there in one piece if possible.

All the diet stuff is interesting. I've been reading about cheat meals. Saw some posts from you in there.

I'll have to check the tea stuff but In think it was in mgs. More supplement oriented. I was drinking tea about four to five large cups per day before the Christmas blowout and the switch back to diet soda. I'm in my second week of no diet soda. Back to the tea and then about sixty to seventy oz of water. I've been having 2 Mendota sparkling waters per day in there. I've been buying lime and lemon. They have no artificial sweeteners and claim no sodium.

I had a delicious supper last night a flax, oat bran and whole wheat square lavash. Made by Joseph's. Two servings per piece but they are huge. 7grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein. I put it on a cookie sheet and browed it then put some shredded cheddar and cut up bacon that I had on hand and it was delicious. I had to restrain myself from eating both sides. Which would have been OK as the whole piece only had 14 grams of carb. I looked them up online today and they even have recipes on their website. I hope the store keeps ordering them. This was the first time I saw them. It looks like Joseph's have a lot of good products.

I talked to my sister the other day. She has done a wonderful job of getting her weight down by doing WW and Curves. She's been fairly stable for five six years now. She says it will come off especially if we stay away from the sugar. I think it might be true that our bodies are adjusting right now. That in the past has meant that I will go through another loss cycle. At least I hope so.

On the positive side I am not ravenous or craving. I guess I'm content with what I'm eating. I would most likely lose faster if I would exercise more. I probably will when I get spring fever but no sign of that yet. LOL. Have a good day everyone.

Shopgirl2011
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone!
I am joining and started BFC today. I bought the book around the holidays but did not start as I knew I was having surgery in Jan. I did have it and had family staying with me for 2 weeks, so I knew starting the plan would be tough.

My biggest hurdle will be giving up Diet Mt Dew. Any tips? I am trying to wean off of it. I don't drink coffee or tea so don't know how to get the caffeine substitute. Does anyone do the Crystal Light fitness flavors? Those seem to be on plan since they use an on-plan sweetener.

I started today by having a version of the Savory Breakfast sandwich recipe, but I made it with an eziekiel english muffin. Delish!

The book caught my eye in Target, as I hold my weight around my belly. When I flipped through the recipes, the plans seems doable.

My first goal is to get under 200 lbs. I would like to do this by late spring. Then I would like to reach my goal weight.

Does anyone use the BFC tracker from the Me and Jorge blog?

TheSquirrel
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
So, what do you guys do when you are sick? This is my second week and we have the flu. All I ate yesterday was saltines (which are actually low in sugar!) and drank water. I ate so little that I know I came nowhere near any of the 15/6. I also kept some broth down. I suppose that is all you can do? The breads that are whole grain seem to heavy to eat. Glad to seem some more newbies on here! Also, when I track my food, I see that I am having a hard time getting all of the fiber I need - although I am pretty regular. It just seems like when I do get enough fiber, naturally, that I go over in my sugars. Any thoughts? I really don't want to take anything since I am already regular.

TheSquirrel
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh and can someone teach me about the little icons at the bottom of the posts? - Quote - multi quote and quick reply . Maybe I am not posting correctly?

TheSquirrel
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Shopgirl, I use it! The friend who told me about BFC doesn't use it. She just tracks her sugars and carbs and uses her full 120 (goes against what Jorge says) She lost her weight super slowly, but is very happy with her results. The only thing with the tracker - I wish it was a little more streamlined, but it is a wonderful tool.

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Anyone know if the Zevia cola has caffeine? If it does, it may help, Shopgirl2011. I drink the Sobe sometimes, but it is not caffeinated. Just make sure it is one of the ones sweetened with Purevia.

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Shopgirl2011,

There is also hot cocoa made with unsweetened cocoa and an allowed sweetener.

deetermined2
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Vinogal,

I hope you don't mind me posting on this. But it worked the one time a friend tried it.

I was out on the injured list for a couple months, and it turns out my friend was out with polymyalgia. She had been having a rough time and hadn't been playing tennis either. When I saw her she told me what her doctor had told her.

I told her I didn't know how similar polymyalgia was to fibromyalgia, but I had read a study where they could induce fibromyalgia-like symptoms in 18 year olds by keeping them up for 72 hours straight. The study suggested that someone with fibromyalgia should make sure they got enough sleep, no matter what, doing anything it took. She told me she often had insomnia, but would try to find a way to get more sleep. The study also suggested MAGNESIUM MALATE.

She tried both recommendations, even though they were for fibromyalgia, and felt much better in one week, after having been sick for months, and began playing tennis with us again.

I am somewhat hesitant to post this, but couldn't not mention it, given her amazing results.

Shopgirl2011
02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks deetermined2! Does anyone have a good iced coffee recipe? Maybe I can try that,and use cream and sweetener. I had Diet Mt Dew today and am cutting down each day.

Has anyone made the pancakes? I made them for dinner and they are fab. I got the wrong organic soy flour and it has a bit of sugar in it. Ugh! I did account for it in my counts. Need to order the Arrowhead Mills brand. I got the Joseph's SF Maple Syrup and it is really good. If I can lose weight eating like this...OMG. I assume the batter can be refridgerated to use again?

Here is what I ate so far:

B: Ezekiel english muffin w/ egg, cheese, sausage patty
S1: celery and cream cheese
L: Salad- lettuce w/ bacon and Newman's Own Olive Oil dressing
D: BFC pancakes with syrup

VinoGal
02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
No problem, deetermined2...

I was diagnosed many years ago (15+) with fibromyalgia. Difficultly sleeping, fatigue, widespread muscle pain are just a few of the symptoms that I deal with on a daily basis. I take prescription meds to help me sleep, and a muscle relaxer so that the spasms in my neck won't act up. I also take 12-13 different vitamin supplements each day, magnesium is one of them. A friend just gave me the remaining credits she had at a studio that teaches pilates, so I will be starting this soon. Aerobic exercise is very difficult. The latest research shows that fibromyalgia may indeed be a central nervous system disorder. Stress can induce "fibro flares". These are periods where I can develop new symptoms, or ones I already have become exagerated. These flares can last for a few days or even a few months. Many of us have additional symptoms. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a study found that teens deprived of sleep could exhibit fibro-like symptoms. I suffered for 2 years before I was diagnosed. There are no lab tests that show a positive diagnosis, and a rhuematologist usually is the one who makes the diagnosis. It has caused me to change the way I live. I could no longer decorate my kid's birthday cakes, because my hands hurt so bad. I have had to rely on my husband to do the laundry. My 2 sons (ages 19 and 16) do most of the house cleaning, I can't work, and the meds I have to take to lessen the symptoms have made me put on extra weight. I wouldn't wish this disorder on anyone. And there is no cure. I won't get better, unless researchers figure out what causes this.

So staying positive most days is one of my most challenging things I do. I just hope that by starting this plan, I am able to lose some of the weight that I've got around my mid-section. At this time, getting healthy is my number one priority.

I'm glad that the magnesium and sleep helped your friend. I wish it was that easy for me. Believe me, I would try anything once. :-)

VinoGal
02-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Got a question for everyone...

Does anyone get headaches using the artificial sweeteners in the book? I picked up a box of stevia packets yesterday and used one this morning in my coffee. Since then, I have been fighting a horrible headache.

I know with fibromyalgia, my body is sensitive to different things, and am wondering if there is a link. If this is the case, I will have to try to find something else that will work.

Any ideas????

TheSquirrel
02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Does anyone get headaches using the artificial sweeteners in the book? I picked up a box of stevia packets yesterday and used one this morning in my coffee. Since then, I have been fighting a horrible headache.

I did when I first tried Stevia, but not now. I really don't like stevia in my coffee, but now I like it in my tea. Not sure what the change was or if it was just a coincidence.

kittycarlson
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Hope everyone is well and on plan. Tomorrow is my weigh day so I have my fingers crossed.

VinoGal I like the truvia much better than the stevia myself. Headaches are common when you are first start reducing carbs and sugar. It's kind of a withdrawal. So depending how long you have been doing this it could account for a headache. They last a couple of days.

Shopgirl I've just started drinking Mendota sparling waters. No sweeteners or sodium. They taste pretty good. I was missing the carbonation.

Shopgirl2011
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks Kittycarlson- where do you find the Mendota? I will try it.

dancingfish
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
So two weeks in and I have lost each week. But I am still struggling with wrapping my head around the lack of veggies and fruit... I definately don't get anywhere near using my sugar or carbs up each day and I am not sure if thats good or not.

I would love to hear what other people are eating--I feel like I could grow feathers with the amount of eggs I am consuming.. egg sandwhich for breakfast, hard boiled egg snacks, egg salad sandwhichs for lunch, omlets ....

I did make tacos the other night --amazing2 shells are plan. And I am enjoying oreda French fries with my hamburgers...
ohh and Cheezits (like 20 of them) for an afternoon snack!

Anyone else dream of drinking a big glass of milk??

kittycarlson
02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Shopgirl, Just at the local grocery store.
dancingfish, The only way I like milk is with a half dozen cookies.

deetermined2
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I use stevia regularly, without any ill effects. However, aspartame, which isn't allowed on BFC, gave me headaches until I figured out the connection.

deetermined2
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Maltitol gives me stomachaches. And that is true for many people. I recommend buying only one product containing it until you see how you react to it.

magnolia35
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi, I'm new to the BFC. My first day is tomorrow. I haven't read the book as of yet, went to pick it up today and it's sold out. I guess I'll have to order it online. I've been "researching" somewhat though, and I do have some doubts- then again when I read everyone's successes, I think just go for it. I tried Atkins right after my third child was born and I was so constipated that I didn't make it more than a month, lol. 120 carbs/day sounds a lot healthier than 20, at least for my intestines! Where did you ladies get the weight loss trackers? Thanks!

deetermined2
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
kittycarlson and all,

Ferguson update-
1500-1800 calories for women, (but don't count)
keep a food journal
limit dairy, use it more as a condiment
fruit is allowed
watch fat

So far even though it's not suppose to be a "diet", it sure sounds like it to me.
Especially when the first example of a breakfast contains an egg-white omelet.

dancingfish
02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
KittyCarlson--shhhh don't say the C word!! haha

So anyone want to share superbowl reciepes/thoughts?

For Finger foods I am making:
a crab/cream cheese dip and using celery for the dipper.
Shrimp on a stick
Egg salad on Cheezits
Cheese
Bacon wrapped scallops

Dinner:
Hamburgers
Broccoli Salad (mayo, cheese onions, vinagar and truvia)
Green Salad
Maybe French Fries (depending if I have enough Carbs left from grazing

Anyone have any other great Ideas? I have lots of dip reciepes that are on plan but its what to dip in them that has me stumped!

kittycarlson
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi all I'm so happy to see new people. Hi determined thanks for the ferguson update. Egg whites uck!!! My least favorite part of the egg.

Dancing fish sounds like a great super bowl party. The veggies I eat are usually celery I love the stuff. Those microwavable bags of broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and sometimes a 1/2 cup of peas. I put either butter or a slice of cheese on top and melt in the microwave. I also eat salad greens and coleslaw. I'm going to try some fried cabbage. I try to have at least three veggies per day. They account for about half of my carbs and are filling. At first I had some rasberries every once in a while. Now the season doesn't entice me so much. I don't like frozen only fresh.

I eat some eggs usually on weekends. I used to eat more but not so much anymore. I love chicken salad. I usually make small ziplock bowls and take them with me when I'm out of town at work each week. I usually eat them like a salad but this week I used up my last wrap so had a sandwich too. It was good. I usually don't do that so I can spend the carbs elsewhere. I've been eating little ziplock bowls with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese too. It tastes rich and creamy. It's funny I don't even need salt and pepper on it anymore.
I like those wasa crisps with tuna salad two of them fill me up. I think you can have three as a serving. Sometimes I eat TJ almond butter on a couple of them but not often.

I learned at the beginning that I needed to leave the cheezits alone as I have no self-control and they awoke the crave monster in me. I guess that's my carb addiction roaring it's ugly head. I've tried making some dessert like things but they also make me want more..more..more. Well this ended up being kinda long but hope it gives you some ideas.

Txalupa
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi girls! This is an old trick from when my mom did Atkins that I still use for chip dips to this day:

Preheat oven to 400 and put foil on a cookie sheet.

Spray with pam and drop pinches of shredded cheddar into baby piles

Bake for about 7 minutes at 400 until they are sizzling and bubbly

Remove and let cool. When hardened I transfer them to a plate with a paper towel on it.

Crunchy cheese chips for dipping-- carb free!

Txalupa
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Dancingfish-- Have you tried unsweetened vanilla almond milk!? I love it probably more than I ever loved dairy milk!

Shopgirl2011
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
dancingfish, I was a huge milk drinker. Lots of skim milk. This is a wake up call to me about all the sugar in it, not to mention the hormones in cow's milk.

I am down 1.5 lbs however I went wayyyyy ove rmy sugar last night. Back on track today. I was doing fine until I got into some cookie dough late at night. I am not even that big of a sweets person! I was doing okay...had my bfast sandwich, two meatballs for a snack, and then had buffalo wings for a late lunch- delish! Then I totally fell off the wagon with the cookie dough.

I worry about all of the possible sodium though in bacon, sausage, etc. I did get the Target Market Pantry brand of sausage patties- they are lower fat but still 13g of fat. I may cut them in half for my bfast sandwiches since they are a good size patty.

I need to up my water and fiber, too.

I have a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip that could be on plan. The questionable one is the ranch dressing- anyone know a good on-plan brand? You could also use celery for dipping.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Boil 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast for one hour and cube.

In large fry pan, melt 2 blocks of cream cheese.
Add one cup Frank's hot sauce
One cup ranch dressing
Add chicken and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Heat until melted

Place dip in crock pot and serve with crackers, chips or soft pretzels (or celery)

Anytime I make it people love it and it is easy to make.

Txalupa
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Anyone know if the Zevia cola has caffeine? If it does, it may help, Shopgirl2011. I drink the Sobe sometimes, but it is not caffeinated. Just make sure it is one of the ones sweetened with Purevia.

Sorry I am replying to this now, but yes! Zevia cola and Dr. Zevia both have caffeine and taste great. The only problem is that they are pricey.

I like the Zevias, but when I want something caffeinated I usually go for unsweetened iced tea with a squeeze of lemon and 1/2 packet of Truvia. Otherwise I like iced coffee with heavy cream and truvia.

shetide1
02-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi all. I am new to this site and to the BFC. I saw it on Rachel Ray on Monday and it sounded like something very do-able for me. I am around the highest weight I have been in about 10 yrs, minus two pregnancies in the last two years (and I am close to that!). I have always been a starver and it has always worked for me...the weight always stayed off but I was always absolutely miserable because I love food..but in the last year or so, it just isn't working and instead the weight has just crept on...Also, I enjoy my adult beverages too, so I thought, okay...I can eat and have my wine on this...I can do it!!! I ordered my book and have yet to receive.

Based on the information on this site...I went back to the original thread and read thru all the posts...I went ahead and started on Wednesday. Wednesday I was hungry all day and ate ALL day...probably doubled the amount of food on any of his daily menu plans, but still stayed within the guidelines of 12/6. I weighed on Thursday, not to see if I had lost, but to see how much I had GAINED because I thought there was no way I could eat that much without gaining 5 pounds. Well, I lost a pound. Wow. Okay so I am thinking it's a fluke...and also a bit skeptical at this point because a common theme on this thread is that yal don't get hungry and often have to make yourselves eat...this wasn't the case for me. Anyways...onto day 2...okay, not nearly as hungry...hmmmm. It was really a struggle to eat 2 meals, much less three. Checked the scales this morning...lost another pound. But today I have completely lost my appetite...I tried so hard to eat a small egg and cheese burrito ( which I would normally love...) and I almost got physically ill. I could only get half of it down. It is now 4ish and I am still feeling queesy and still haven't been able to eat anything. I am extremely thirsty. As soon as i finish one glass of water, I am onto the next. I am not complaining...it is awesome to not be hungry...but would love some feedback from others to see if this pattern is norm and if I should force myself to eat even if I feel I am going to get physically ill!

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's stories and sharing in your weight loss journey.

Txalupa
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Shetide! Good luck on your journey. This site is a great resource for people who are turning their lives around and the BFC is a staggering look at how much sugar people eat!!!

For the first couple of weeks on this plan I went through wild bouts of sugar withdrawal (headaches, nausea, etc) because I was such a candy monster and a french fry freak.

So keep in mind that if you feel weird, you're probably doing things right!!

dancingfish
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I commend all of you who are trying to loose weight and be healthy at the same time.. For me if I can loose the weight I feel half the battle is won then I can adjust my food intake to be a healthier me. I feel much better without the sugar. Buts its all I can do to stay away from foods with natural sugars. I don't think I could give up bacon too!

And alcohol is an issue.. I am not sure if the wine I am drinking is high in sugars or not... no labels to show the damage!

If there was one fault I could find in this diet is the lack of information.

TheSquirrel
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Okay so I am thinking it's a fluke...and also a bit skeptical at this point because a common theme on this thread is that yal don't get hungry and often have to make yourselves eat...this wasn't the case for me. Anyways...onto day 2...okay, not nearly as hungry...hmmmm. It was really a struggle to eat 2 meals, much less three. Checked the scales this morning...lost another pound. But today I have completely lost my appetite...I tried so hard to eat a small egg and cheese burrito ( which I would normally love...) and I almost got physically ill. I could only get half of it down. It is now 4ish and I am still feeling queesy and still haven't been able to eat anything. I am extremely thirsty. As soon as i finish one glass of water, I am onto the next. I am not complaining...it is awesome to not be hungry...but would love some feedback from others to see if this pattern is norm and if I should force myself to eat even if I feel I am going to get physically ill!

I think you will have days where you are a little hungry, go ahead and eat. Then there will be days that you won't be hungry and cherish those days. For me, I love to eat and I love to graze. Doing BFC, I am no longer grazing and somehow I am not as hungry. I don't quite get it, but I like it! I don't know what anybody else would say, but don't force yourself to eat. Maybe try a little protein so you don't get nauseous. Good luck. I am new here, too.

kittycarlson
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I never went through the not hungry part. I guess I would describe it as satisfied. If I'm hungry I eat something on plan. I eat at least every three hours. Before I got the BFC book I bought Jorge's Three Hour Diet Book which dealt with balancing blood sugar levels.

I eat bacon all the time. I think some of the tastier meats are the higher sodium ones. I think that as you adjust your eating things will taste different. I had a couple slices of deli ham today for lunch and it tasted way too salty. I do like the hard salami though. I never feel the urge to salt anything any more. The only draw back to eating higher sodium foods would be some water weight. Which I think balances out in the end. When I look at the sodium level of all those diet sodas I drank whew.

It's nice to see so many new people. You bring energy to the thread.

Txalupa it's good to see you back.

deetermined2
02-04-2011, 11:14 PM
dancingfish,

For one of your Super Bowl snacks you can make Amber's cauliflower crust pizza. You can find the recipe on her blog www.meandjorge.com. Some suggestions if you choose to make this. Use a pan with sides. Never use a pizza pan with holes for browning the crust. The easiest way to grate the cauliflower is using the grater blade on a food processor. (I started out grating it by hand but was afraid for my knuckles.) You can make the crust ahead, then top when needed.

Cucumbers make good dippers. One of my friend's blanches asparagus for her veggie trays. Pepper slices. Mushroom slices.

Some of the Nut Thins are relatively low carb. 23 carbs, 0 sugars for 16 of the almond crackers, for example. You can check the different varieties out on-line.

You can also stuff mushrooms with something interesting.

Who are you rooting for?

deetermined2
02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
kittycarlson,

I'm in NH. Thankfully, the midweek storm only dropped 6 very heavy inches on us, rather than the 18-20 that they were originally predicting. However, we're suppose to be getting more snow late tomorrow.

I am not sure I've been kind to Ferguson. I got to the egg white omelet and counting coffee, if you add cream, as a snack, and took a break from reading it.

I'll have to look at it again when I'm feeling more open-minded.

deetermined2
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Ferguson - Installment 3

Always eat within 1/2 hour of getting up. (exceptions and rules to follow if exercising then)

Always eat at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs per meal.

You may have 3 snacks per day of 100 to 200 calories each.

You may actually eat one whole egg if female, the rest should be egg whites.

Slightly better. But I'm still wondering about the coffee.

TheSquirrel
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Ferguson - Installment 3

You may actually eat one whole egg if female, the rest should be egg whites.

Slightly better. But I'm still wondering about the coffee.

Sorry, deetermined2 to be nosy, but what is this? Is it part of bfc? I do feel (for me) that one whole egg plus however many egg whites is a good idea. I love eating the bfc way, but the multitude of whole eggs I think would raise my cholesterol if I ate them every day.

On another note, just have to cheer myself on about the sweets in the house. My husband and oldest son buy sweets and a lot of them. I used to always give in and have ONE and one turned into a whole bag, it seemed. Somehow eating how we eat, I have no interest in the ONE they offer me. I know if I ate just ONE, I would still eat the whole bag. Temptation is hard sometimes. We are going through some stress right now (middle son has CP and got the worst of our flu and always takes a long time to recover) and I don't seem to be emotionally eating like I used to. Hooray! Before I would graze on a bag of chips or whatever until they were done because of stress. Maybe it is all of the cleanup I am having to do because of his flu? I don't have time to think of eating? I don't know, but I like this mini-milestone!

Shopgirl2011
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Help! I made the BFC shake for more fiber, and it has 52.5 gms of carbs!! The psyllium husk I have is 5 gms carbs per TEASPOON...the shake calls for 2.5 Tablespoons. So I have used up almost half my carbs for the day on this shake. Also it is 37 grams of fiber! Is that a lot at one time?

Does anyone have a rec for psyllium husk?? I bought a big jar of the GNC Colon Pure. Do they all have that many carbs??

I made it with the Sobe water. I could use plain water which will cut 15 carbs but that is still a lot.

I am back up 1.5 lbs. I attribute it to needing more fiber, water, and that I was over in sugars.

dancingfish
02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
So if I am reading this right-- a whole cucumber is 4 sugars and 1 carb-- and 4 spears of asparagus is only 1 sugar???

The problem is mushrooms-- nothing in the book for plain old white mushrooms and the 5 they have listed are all different!

ohh and pasta they have it listed in 2oz-- is that pre-cooked or cooked???

Sometimes all this drives me nuts...

off to check out the califlower pizza reciepe

deetermined2
02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Shopgirl2011,

37 grams of fiber is a lot! Even the more extreme fiber diets usually aim for 35 grams per day, versus 37 in one drink.

TheSquirrel,
Ferguson is another WOE that has some things in common with BFC and some things that are not. I've plateaued and am looking to find a way to make BFC more effective for me. Therefore, I'm looking for tweaks to BFC. Ferguson focuses on food combining for optimal weight loss. As stated, he suggests at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs per meal. Those numbers put the carbs somewhere around Jorge Cruise's per meal, though Jorge doesn't emphasize a minimum number of grams of protein per meal even though reasonable amounts are recommended.

kittycarlson and I've been exploring ways to speed up results, and we've been looking anywhere we can, and sharing what we've found.

You can ignore anything related to Ferguson.

That being said, I plan on incorporating some of Ferguson's suggestions into BFC, hoping that they help break my plateau.

kittycarlson
02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi everybody, 37 grams of fiber is HUGE especially if you have been eating a lot less than that. For some reason lots of fiber constipates me. I know Jorge doesn't figure net carbs but supposedly the carbs in that type of fiber aren't digestible so if you can handle it I wouldn't worry about the carb part. You could probably subtract the fiber from the carbs. The amount left a lot of nutitionist consider to be NET Carbs. I think the reasoning for not counting them usually would be to not get too many carbs per day by shaving off fiber to have larger servings.

There was an article in the paper yesterday about new food recommendations. They separated the amount of fiber for men and women. I think women under fifty-one were recommended to get 25 grams and women over fifty-one were recommended to get 21 grams. Men were more in line with Jorge's recommendation.

Dancingfish check online nutritional sites for the mushrooms or anything else you can't find. I usually just type in mushrooms nutrition or whatever on the search bar and it bring up various sites.

I'm happy to say that my weight dropped back down to 196 today when I weighed which was my post holiday low. Maybe I can squeeze another LB off before I go back to work on Monday AM. I'd like to see 195. Even if I am stalled I see myself as eating really well and maintaining my loss so I really can't complain.

I have a confession to make. I was at the store yesterday and saw Carb Smart Bars which I had seen advertised. They have spenda and sugar alcohols. Well anyway I proved to myslf what I already knew and that is as soon as I ate something like that I really started craving more. When will I learn.

Shopgirl2011
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
If I look at the label of my physillium, a serving is one "rounded" teaspoon.
1 rounded teaspoon=5 g carb and 5 g fiber.

So maybe 2.5 T would not quite be 37 gms of fiber? Has anyone else tried making this shake?

kittycarlson
02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes when I first started I bought the husks and drank it about three times. It got thick really fast and made me gag.

deetermined2
02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
First, I finally broke my plateau. Down 1 pound. Yeah!!!

This just before we go out to an all I can't eat buffet with friends. How ironic.

I like plain Benefiber in terms of texture and taste. I add it to my morning coffee, and it thickens it ever the slightest bit. Though I'm out and keep forgetting to buy more. In the meantime, I've been using the unsweetened Metamucil which is made from inulin. When I looked that up, it said it is usually a vegetable fiber made from chicory root, the operative word being usually.

deetermined2
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
This week's tweaks.

Start the morning with a cup of just hot water with a slice of lemon squeezed into it.

Squeeze lemon into my green tea. It's suppose to aid the absorption of whatever I'm trying to absorb. Drink more green tea. I'm not nearly where I should be. I've added another cup or two.

Eat within 1/2 hour of getting up.

Eat at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs at meals.

Cut back on cheese.

Something worked!

destinyscribe
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I am in my 3rd day of BFC and I have just been doing my own menus using the 15/6 is this ok or am I supposed to do a menu Jorge has in the book and later branch off. I really want this to work for me.:yoga::yoga:

shetide1
02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi all! Thanks for the welcome and advice! I'm on day 5 and have never used any of jorge's meals...just make them up. I'm down 6 pounds!!! I am never hungry and don't have any cravings and have even exceeded my alcohol alotment...by a lot...this weekend! YAY!!!! I am so doing the happy dance.

TheSquirrel
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm down 6 pounds!!! I am never hungry and don't have any cravings and have even exceeded my alcohol alotment...by a lot...this weekend! YAY!!!! I am so doing the happy dance.

Good for you, Shetide1! Does anybody know the count for vodka? I am not a drinker (a couple times a year I have a drink), but I do prefer vodka when I drink. I never see facts on the bottle.

I take pictures each Sunday night and weigh in on Monday. I know I am down from having the flu. Also it is that time of the month, but I think I am still down, at least my clothes feel that way. Well, I will find out in the morning.

Last night I tried the Lindt 85% and loved it. I only ate 2 squares. It was very satisfying. In the old days I would have chipped away at a WHOLE symphony toffee/almond bar in one night! Yay!!! I forgot to snack yesterday -busy doing some purging of closet clutter and an almost empty fridge. Today I should stock up on more cheeses, jerky, eggs. I just wish the veggies didn't have sugar in them. Because I got discouraged about going over one day because of the veggies, I seem to have forgot to eat them since then! Maybe I will need to start using the benefiber or whatever one is ok to use. Texture is a big deal to me, so if anybody knows the easiest allowed way to take them and what brand, let me know. Thank you!

kittycarlson
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Way to go determined. I really need to cut back on the cheese too. I didn't have such a clean weekend. Well tommorrow is another day. I've haven't been not eating enough vegetables so I'm going to get some ready today for the week . I'm making up some chicken salad too.

destiny scribe you don't need to follow the menus they are just suggestions.

elbs
02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
hello...I am new to this and was wondering if you sutract the fiber from carbs on the bfc like you do for Atkins?

shetide1
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks squirrel! I drink gin...i check it on livestrong, and that shows carbs and sugars, fiber, protein...everything. I checked your vodka and it's 0 carbs and 0 sugars. My book hasn't arrived yet, but from what I've read online, it looks like he still says to count it as a carb serving.

Here's a yummy and easy superbowl party recipe: Just mix one can of chicken with one softened 8 oz. brick of cream cheese. You can make it into a ball or just leave in a bowl. Serve w celery or crackers to non BFC'rs. It doesn't sound like much, but is really YUMMY!

Fatlulu
02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Hello all,

I just started the BFC diet on Monday. I was going to wait another week to begin the diet because I had to travel on business Thursday and Friday, which meant fast food, drinks etc. but I decided that I might as well get started and do my best to comply. I weigh in tomorrow so I guess I'll find out how much damage was done. I think my biggest challenge for this diet....any diet, will be the drinking on weekends. I'm sipping wine while watching the kick off right now.

I'll come back tomorrow for week one way in results!:dizzy:

ERHR
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
@destinyscribe: I've been on the BFC for over a month and I've yet to use any of Jorge's recipes. I just alter what I cooked before and choose new recipes that are naturally low in sugar. (I'm not convinced of the innocence of the sugar alcohols and all so I just go for non-sweet foods.) I think the point of all the recipes in the BFC is to show people that it's possible to eat well while following the diet - but you can certainly make your own way if you prefer.

Fatlulu
02-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Well I braved the scale this morning and I didn't lose weight. I'm not surprised, I wasnt able to follow the diet as well as I would have liked in week one, and I'm calling week 1 a practice week ;)

I'm really looking forward to this week, following the diet completely and having a good weigh in next Monday. Oh, and one thing I will say about one week on the diet is that I FEEL thinner today, and that really counts for a lot in my books!

Reebee
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone!
As with lulu, my first week didn't go as well as I wanted. I really wanted to lose the "10-13 lbs a week" as Jorge stated in his book, but, of course, I didn't. (sigh). I followed the plan for the most part, except for yesterday (superbowl). Cream puffs are my downfall. I told myself that I would only eat one (since 1 is 9/1), but who was I kidding?! I ate more than 1. On the plus side, I didn't gain any weight during my first week. But I didn't lose any either. I tried a couple of Jorge's recipes and, I gotta say, the "Savory Pepperoni Pizza" recipe is sooooo good (pg 103) and the "Chipotle Chicken Tacos" recipe (minus the jalapenos, so it's basically just a chicken taco recipe) is wonderful.
I originally said that I would weigh in on Friday's, but I think I will weigh in on Mondays. I hope everyone has a great week!!

dancingfish
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Happy Monday All-
I weighed in this am....sadly only .5 down and the only thing I can think of was the wine and the broccoli--while I count both I am not sure I ever have the wine right as the brands are not listed in the book and broccoli isn't easy to measure! lol

I made a ton of on plan food for yesterdays superbowl and served it on my own plate (haha) Counting out crackers and measuring out dips!-- Sadly I didn't eat it all....so today I am eating the left-overs but have no clue how to account for the S/C

For all you party animals--miller lite---0/0 I have never been a beer drinker but hey when dieting you gotta step out of your box!

destinyscribe: I don't follow Jorges menus either--I can't find half the stuff at the grocery store--And it didn't say you had to--the only requirement I saw in the book was S/C points. So I have a great egg/bacon sandwich every morning Celery/cheese spread for AM snack, Leftovers or Tuna Salad for lunch , Almonds or string cheese PM snack and then alot of protien and a salad for dinner...
Hanburgers and fries is one of my favorite midweek meals (makes you feel like a normal person! lol)

Elbs--no subtracting...it is what it is...

Shawnapirahna
02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Just started the bfc yesterday! So far so good! I bought the book on amazon for $5 and read all the tips and am going to make the pancakes soon. I'll let everyone know what I lose after a week:)

destinyscribe
02-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks to all who encouraged me.
I have been doing my own menus
and I am down 4 in 5 days.

:cool::hug:

TallBikerBabe
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Hello....I have been lurking here for sometime now and figured it was finally time to jump in (if that is alright with everyone :)
I have been trying to lose some lbs since Jan. 20th (well should start out honestly and say since coming out of the womb actually; haha) and have lost 11 thus far.
I am not exactly following BFC but have incorporated the philosophy into my daily intake. I am not very regimented and just try to keep the sugar low and get my carbs from nutritious/high fiber sources. I have stalled a bit; I believe due to TOM.
I am looking forward to getting to know everyone to exchange ideas and words of wisdom.
Love and Light, Jennifer

TheSquirrel
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, just to update you all (I forgot on Monday) on my progress. Now I am down to 191.6! Some of that loss is probably due to to flu. But I feel smaller and I feel better. Do most of you use fiber help? I have never had a problem, but I feel my body is slowing down a bit and would love advice on how best to get more fiber in without going over on my sugars. Hope you all are having a good week!

Start 197
1/31/11 194
2/7/11 191.6

Lnm130
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I just started this program, or at least my version of it, this week. I got the book and I feel like I really can't eat much of anything I already have. I went to the store last week and got sugar free jello (before I read the book) and after I read the book, it turns out I cannot eat it? I have slim jims, and although they say 0 sugar, corn syrup is listed in the ingredients. Is that ok, or can I go by the Nutritional Information? I'm sure I'll think of more questions hehehe!!

deetermined2
02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I use fiber. It's generally a necessity for me. I like Benefiber. Though I am currently using Metamucil, which is inulin, (my husband shopped). I think the Benefiber works slightly better for me.

For a while, I had added Jorge's chia seeds. But didn't notice much effect from them.

All carbs at BFC are counted. BFC does not use NET carbs. That being said, some BFCers take into consideration their net value. But that is not the official line.

It's nice to have all the new BFCers here. Congratulations on your successes!

koam
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this program. I started yesterday and it seems to be something that I can stick to. The only problem that I have is that I am a "weigher". I weigh all the time because if I don't see immediate results, I will panic or give up. I want this to be different though. So I will try my best to only weigh once a week. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please let me know. Thanks you all.

Fatlulu
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I have to say, I went out on the weekend and bought that Ezechial (sp??) bread that was in the book. I really really don't like it. I'll eat it this week but I'm going back to my light rye bread, which is just more satisfying to me.

I'm having no problem sticking to the diet so far this week, despite the fact that I came home last night from work to find my older daughter baking chocolate chip cookies! The most annoying part of that was that she used most of my butter and some of my soy flour in her recipe (we were low on reg. flour). I get so angry when the kids waste my diet supplies on things I can't eat! :-)

Oh, and speaking of anger....I strangely find myself feeling slightly more angry when I'm off sugar. May be a bit of withdrawal still from lack of sugar

dancingfish
02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
All I can say is stay away from the scale! Pick one day and use your scale that day-- Maybe put it away (in a closet) so its not staring at you. ALSO measure yourself...sometimes pounds don't come off but inches do.. And remember these pounds didn't come on all in one day so they aren't going to come off all in one day... I make it a point to think I want to loose 8 lbs every month... some weeks I loose nothing--some alot-some I go up but if I can loose 8lbs each month I am moving toward my goal.. Maybe you should adopt a goal for yourself that will help you not be so scale addicted?

Good Luck!!

koam
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks dancingfish. Great advice. You are absolutely right and I'm going to stay off that scale. I did my measurements as well and plan to track w/ lbs and inches. Thanks again. :)

shetide1
02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Happy hump day! Today is my official weigh in day for my first week...I lost 6 lbs! None of those pounds are since Sunday! I could get down, but I had told myself when I began that I would be happy with a 2 lb weight loss every week....average. That is 25 pounds before Easter! Wow! But when you look at it on the scale and don't see the little hand moving, it is difficult!! I have read the meandjorge blog from the beginning....honestly, it was a little discouraging because I eat WAAAAYY more than she does/did. She didn't lose 4-9 pounds a week either....but look where she is now. Just a couple pounds a week.... Yal would freak out if I told you how much food I ate this week....I have never been free'er and I have never ate so much...but I never went over my sugars and carbs. I have kept a log, if anyone wants to share our food daily intake...lets do it...I think it helps to see what everyone else is eating. Let's just say, at this point, I could not survive on what 'Amber' eats.
But it's still working for me!

determined: way to go on your success! Have you found any food or beverage that seems to stall your loss? Would love to find out from you and everyone!

reebee: keep up the good work! don't give up after a couple cream puffs!! did you watch biggest loser last night????? arthur ate 35 pieces of chocolate!!! seriously??? and he lost 9 pounds. keep it up. don't give up. temptations will come and go.

destinyscribe: way to go! you are an inspiration

lnm130: you have to quit thinking low calorie and start thinking low sugar...it's sometimes hard to make that leap, but once you get it, I bet you will find plenty of things in your house you can eat! hamburgers, hotdogs...coffee with cream....

koam: i love to weigh myself also....BUT, there are so many factors...salt...exercise...water intake...etc...you just have to get it in your head that any loss is a plus in the direction you are going!

dancingfish: I think it's awesome that you can still eat party food and have wine and STILL lose weight...okay it's a half pound...but thats 26 pounds in a year, while eating and drinking and not being deprived! You go girl with your .5 lb loss. I can honestly say that after most superbowls I would have gained 5 pounds!!!

Squirrel: Great job on your weight loss!! I actually used to have problems with things moving along, but I think starving myself played a part in that!!! I have tried benefiber in the past, to no avail. BUT on this plan, I always have lots of carbs and sugars left over, so I am not afraid to use them them up with lettuce. I LOOOOOOVVVVE the Butter lettuce mix. It is not bitter, it is sweet and you can load it with olive oil or whatever. I eat a bag a day (in wraps or all by itself)..and lets just say that although it doesn't have a huge fiber count....it moves things right along!!! and it feels very natural.

lulu: I can't call you fatlulu because you are not! I like to partake in adult beverages as well...I either drink miller lite or gin and diet tonic...but when I know that I am going to have more than two, I limit my carbs and sugars for the whole day...basically I go atkins for the day and it works.

Okay...so hope to hear from you guys and would love to share menus of what we eat every day to see what works, get ideas, and be honest!!! I eat LOTS!!!!

Lnm130
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
shetide1, thanks for the encouragement. I guess I got excited because I was eating my slim jim today as a snack between classes and the school secretary said it wasnt low sugar. I mean, the package says 0g, so am I ok? The sugar free pudding says 0g as well, but is on the belly bad side of his book.

I'm liking that I can really eat anything, but I don't have the support at home to stay low-sugar, low carb. Just me, myself, and I. I'm glad I found this website!

Reebee
02-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Great job shetide1!! Keep up the good work. Last week (my original week 1) I didn't write anything down. I just counted it in my head. I was a little discouraged because I hadn't lost any weight. Starting this past Monday (2/7) I started writing down everything I ate. It helps to look at it on paper to see exactly how many carbs and sugars I eat. I have a sweet tooth like a mofo. The sugar free red vines are wonderful! I also found a great sugar free chocolate bar at Albertson's. It's called "Fifty". It comes in crunch, milk chocolate and dark chocolate. I found it in the "diabetic section". A serving size is 7 pieces. For one serving there are 16g of carbs and 1g of sugar. I only eat 2 pieces so for me, it's 0/0. It does contain sucralose though. To tell you all the truth, I tried Truvia and Stevia, and I just don't get the "sweetness" from Truvia that Splenda or Sweet N Low gives me. Stevia actually made my stomach upset and gave me awful headaches. At this point, I can't give up soda totally. I drink diet soda. I was having 3-4 a day. I have cut it down tremendously though, now I have 1 every 1-2 days. For me, that's huge! Plus, looking at the info for Zevia, it's 0/1. I don't want to waste one of my carbs on a "soda".
Koam, I too am a "weigher". I weigh myself every morning! I shouldn't, but I can't help it. Luckily for me, I am very "regular". After "going to the bathroom", I weigh myself butt-naked. I was told that your morning weight is your "true" weight.
All of these weight loss posts are encouraging. Keep up the great work everyone!

p.s.
I really need to stop watching Food Network! It makes me hungry.

shetide1
02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi lnm...I understand the no support at home...I have a dh(does that stand for dumb husband? i really don't know), who doesn't want me to lose weight. I also have a 2 and 3 year old, so obviously they eat a lot of sugar and carbs and are little skeletons. That's why we are all here...support...so ask away. The big thing with the low sugar thing on this diet is that you can't have splenda or aspartame, etc because it increases your desire for more sweet things, so check that out on the labels. So..just because the pudding says no sugar, it probably has splenda or aspartame as the sweetener. You have to retrain your brain to stop looking for lowfat, low sugar, diet foods...most of the foods I eat on this plan are not diet. You can have fats, just no sugar...and once you make that connection you will find that the fat is fulfilling...along with the protein, etc..and you don't really need the sugar. Hope this helps and good luck. We are all here for you. :)

shetide1
02-09-2011, 05:52 PM
reebee...i am/was the ultimate diet coke fanatic.....i have actually gone without them for 6 days and haven't really noticed. Oh, other than I WANT TO BITE everyones head off at any given moment...but that could be the sugar, right? and this too will pass? I had a zevia black cherry last night for the first time..and wow...and i had to go in a room by myself...that good! But having said that, it is not possible to have 13G of carbs without any calories, so something on that label is amiss, and I know I can't have those often...but wow. I found them at my kroger in the health food section. I really think that if I hadn't been a soda drinker, I would have still loved it. That good. Anyways....if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on the zevia...would love to hear!

TallBikerBabe
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Quick question....what kind of pasta is everyone eating; if any? I was going to buy some called Dreamfields and was just wondering if anyone has tried it or if there is something better I should look for.

kittycarlson
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I've had whole wheat pasta one time but I think a serving was like 1/2 cup and that was like 30 some grams of carbs plus the marinera sauce. This happened during the holidays when I was off plan. I haven't had any since too high carb for me. I have heard some people talk about spagetti squash in some posts stating it is good.

kittycarlson
02-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I just looked up dreamfields and it looks like they have something called (protected carbs) so claim a net carb count as 5. The package gives 41 grams of carbs. Not sure what jorge thinks about protected carbs.

Fatlulu
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I haven't been brave enough to do pasta or rice yet. I'm so afraid of going over my 6 carb portions that I think I don't think I'm eating enough carbs. I guess I'm just nervous that when I weigh in for week two on Monday that the scale will show zero weight loss so I'm playing it safe. I've dine the Atkins diet so many times it's almost instinctual to avoid carbs. I'm sure if I have a decent weigh in I'll start adding a little pasta/rice.

Oh and please feel free to call me Lulu....clearly I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I created my username :-)

Lnm130
02-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the support, folks. I need it. I'm liking that I can really eat anything I want, and today I turned down a cookie. That is HUGE for me! I looked at the back of my pudding, and it has malltitol and sorbitol, no wonder I had gas...and then at the very bottom it has sucralose. So that's why it's "belly bad".

My slimjim has corn syrup, but not high fructose...so I don't know if thats ok or not.

If I drink pop, I drink diet ginger ale or pepsi max. I know the pepsi max is out, due to ingredients, and we are out of diet ginger ale so I won't be drinking any of that.

The worst part is, I live at home as it is my first year teaching. I live with my dad and two brothers, and they all eat whatever they want, whenever.

I was thin once...I'll be thin again. I won't let myself get on the scale...I become obsessed. Massively. So I will just judge it by how my clothes fit. Right now? Tight ;)

Shirlangel
02-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm starting BFC today and I'm glad to find this thread. I have been on Atkins Induction -kind of- for the past two weeks. I find it a bit too restrictive for me and I am missing my favorites - hash browns, french fries, etc. I actually dreamed that I was eating potato chips one night!

I like the whole low carb idea though so I want to avoid going back to my sugar and carb overload eating ways. BFC looks wonderful to me. I was so happy to see a small serving of hash browns in the book, then to see the BFC mac and cheese and so many other goodies -wow! Now this looks a whole lot more appealing than the more restrictive carb plan so count me in on BFC. :wave:

Thank you for sharing your experiences because I am very encouraged to read your posts and see how successful your experiences have been.

I don't go shopping until tomorrow but since I've been on the other low carb plan I should be okay until then. DH is not low carbing but I am working on getting his sugar/carb intake down too since it's just not good for us. I was so surprised when I made him a cup of tea and he requested Truvia in it instead of sugar. That is a really big deal. I think DH will like the BFC too since I'll be eating more "normal".:D

kittycarlson
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well.

LNM Diet Gingerale is my favorite but I'm trying not to drink it because it has Aspartame. Mine is Canada Dry. Do you know one that has a different sweetener?

Shirlangel
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Zevia has a ginger ale and it's delicious. It's sweetened with Stevia but it doesn't have a bitter aftertaste.

Lnm130
02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
We usually get the Kroger brand. If I think I'll look next time we get it. Maybe I can convince them to not buy diet at all, then I won't drink any.

I feel thinner today, which I know isn't really true, but I feel it. I am tracking my S/C on an index card, filling in bubbles.

I drink a protien shake in the morning, and it tends to be a bit high sugar-wise total. I only drink a small portion of it, and its only a 2/1.

How do I eat out? How do I make smart choices at restaraunts with no nnutritional info? I typically go out to eat at least once a week with friends or with the boyfriend.

deetermined2
02-10-2011, 10:29 PM
In regard to adult beverages, my favorite is a Sobe Sling. Sobe Fuji Apple Pear + vodka. Limit vodka to 1 1/2 ounces, according to Ferguson, or you will stall weight loss.

Other Sobes work, but that one stands up to alcohol best, IMO.

Fatlulu
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Lnm130,

Eating out is the hardest thing to do on any diet, but I find with low carb diets your best bet is to sick to "real" restaurants, vs fast food. This way you can order a steak and salad. You could even have the baked potato with butter (I usually only eat a few bites ofnthe potato...the steaks the best part). And the salad, I always order oil and vinegar dressing on the side. Or you could order a hamburger and when it comes, just take the top bun off and eat it with a knife and fork. I would also save my carbs up on days when I'm going out so I can have a few extra drinks or a few French fries.

This Saturday I'm going out to the Copa Cobana which is a Brazilian steak house...LOTS of meat. Should be perfect. My daughter wanted me to take her to the Mandarin and I know there's just no way I could cope with a buffet! I just don't have the willpower.

Lnm130
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Lulu - Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll suggest Mongolian BBQ, kind of a make-your-own stirfry place. I usually just do chicken and veggies. The sauce might be a killer though, I make it with a teriaki sauce. I'll just watch my carbs and sugar today. I brought some good choices today.

I went over a bit last night. It was pizza night. I couldn't help myself! Maybe someday I'll have the willpower to say no. I don't think I went over with my sugar, just a carb serving or two.

Also, my Crystal Light. Really? The one thing that gets me to drink water is actually bad for me? Poop.

I am so glad that I found this website. Thanks for all your support ladies :)

jackies
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
:?: Stuck to the plan the whole week... but... the scale has hardly moved :?:

deetermined2
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
jackies,

Some people lose more water weight than others during the first week depending on how high carb they were before they started. Most weight lost during the first week on most diets is water weight. If you've switched from another plan or you were eating relatively healthy to begin with or you are over 40, the number of pounds lost isn't nearly as high as what others are posting.

Any weight loss is a good weight loss. It adds up over time. I've experienced the inches coming off even more than the pounds. People come up and tell me how good I look, and can't believe I've only lost what the scale says. (And the inches came off my gut and my butt.) So don't get discouraged.

Fatlulu
02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Went on the scale this morning...12 days on the plan and I haven't lost a single pound. It's all I'm worth not to cry this morning...

I'm so so tired of the constant struggle to lose weight. It's literally exhausting me this life long struggle. Some may look at my weight and think that it's not so bad...but I just hate what I see when I look in the mirror, when I see a picture of myself.

Sigh...it's going to be a bad day.

kittycarlson
02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Lulu, I'm sorry the scale was unkind. What does a days eating look like? I don't eat any where near the carbs or sugars allowed and I have been stalled for over a month. I never had the spectacular early losses either because I had been dieting before I started so didn't really have that water weight to lose.

kittycarlson
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey I just tried something truely amazing and delicious. I'd seen some posts on 3fc regarding roasted cabbage. I've been meaning to try it. Well I made a bunch this AM. I put peanut oil and cut up cabagge in a jelly roll pan covered with foil to make the pan easier to clean and cooked it at 400 degrees until the bottom was nicely browned. I flipped them and they started coming apart cooked them a while longer and then stirred again. Once they were nicely browned took them out . Maybe a half hour total. I watched them pretty close as I had read that they scorch easily. I don't think my house even got smelly. Both my DH an DD loved them.

I've been reading Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories. Its a good read even if all the science does make the eyes cross. I was ready to give up and go back to my smoothie diet which was successful last summer. Any way I decided to do low carb awhile longer. i think I need to let go off my uncle sam's cereal and see if that helps. I also did a smoothie yesterday with spinach, kale, ice and sobe drink. Maybe I just need a spring tonic. I felt amazing last summer when I first started doing smoothies probably because of all the vitamins.

TheSquirrel
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I also did a smoothie yesterday with spinach, kale, ice and sobe drink. Maybe I just need a spring tonic. I felt amazing last summer when I first started doing smoothies probably because of all the vitamins.

Kitty, four years ago, I drank green smoothies everyday and didn't really change the rest of my diet a lot and lost 35 pounds without even trying. I loved those green smoothies! I would even add some cocoa powder and honey when I was having kale. With spinach, I didn't need to add any kind of sweetener. I would add A LOT of fruit, though. The smoothies do make me feel good too. I think it is good to mix things up a bit. I know the fruit would really throw a kink into things but maybe the benefit of the greens evens it out? I love BFC, but I do miss fruit. I am pleased with my results and the ability to enjoy some good, rich foods plus I am prediabetic, so staying away from sugar for me is a good thing.
On to other things, yesterday I slipped up big time and went downhill from there! I got busy in the morning and forgot to eat breakfast and then I went to meet friends at a hamburger joint. I had planned on just eating the bottom bun and using a fork. Well, nobody pressured me or even knows I am eating differently, but I felt pressured (by myself) to pick the thing up and eat it, and I did! I only ate half the fries. The restaurant doesn't have a nutrition facts so, I didn't know what the damage was. Also, one of my friends had brought some gluten free cookies for our family (one of my sons has Celiac's Disease). After I got home I ate one and it was so good. Cookies have always been my downfall. Anyway, I only ate one last night. The old days I would have polished them off. Then, I had bought a pepperoni pizza from Costco and we had that for dinner (not my son who has celiac's - I had something different for him). I ate a lot of that. I don't know what was wrong with me. I think it has just been a busy, hectic week and I was just decompressing (is that the right word?) But I did try the ginger root beer that zevia makes and I love it! Let's hope I can move forward from this and learn that the trade of eating yummy foods and losing weight is better than eating yummy foods that are actually harmful to me and gaining weight! (I put the cookies in the freezer - out of sight out of mind I hope) I hope this confession doesn't cause somebody to stumble. Let me know if I shouldn't share stuff like this. By sharing, I feel more accountable and try harder to be better to myself.

kittycarlson
02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi all, Wow three posts in one day.

That's what happened with me too squirrel the smoothies set off this weightloss thing I've been on which according to the clinic was probably 55LBS. I have really been sticking close to the bfc plan since Jan 1st. I have consumed some of the sweeteners that jorge doesn't like but not sugars or the white stuff. All my off plan treats have had to do with splenda. I really wasn't triggered to eat high carb foods just more splenda. LOL
I am trying to do better. I will give up cereal and wraps and pitas this week. I need to see if less carbs will get me out of this stall.

I will forego the fruits in my smoothies. I hope my husband eats those bananas. They are just beautiful right now. I really didn't mind the taste of the green smoothie yesterday, mostly the texture.

I'm considered prediabetic too. I've known I was insulin resitant for a long time as I have pretty much every symptom.

In Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories he discusses chronic hyperinsulinemia which leads to hunger and carb craving and the inability for satiety . Apparently insulin causes the body to store fat and not use the fat in fat cells for energy. The more fat cells the more insulin the more craving the more hunger. The more insulin the more the body wants to store more fat. So we go through stages of eating-hunger, eating-hunger until we have eaten way too much. In fact they have research that shows that insulin goes up in susceptible (ie overweight) people by 20% when we SEE food which makes us hungry. I guess looking at cupcakes can make us fat. Boy advertisers have got our number. He says the way to break the cycle is to not eat carbs. Eat proteins and lots of fat and some low carb vegetables. Eat frequently to stabilize blood sugar and avoid surges of insulin caused by carbs and big meals. His isn't a diet plan it's an indepth scientific review of all the scientific studies about eating, chloresterol, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer etc. All the modern diseases and relates them to the increase in white sugar, flour and rice etc in the past 150 years. Apparently cultures that didn't have white stuff didn't have any cancer, appendix problems, diabetes or heart disease until they adopted the western diet. They actually decreased their consumption of meats and fats and replaced them with white rice, sugar and flour and then they started getting all the same diseases we have. The book is facinating but not an easy read, 577 pages almost a 100 pages of foot notes. I got it from the library. It would be worth reading though.

deetermined2
02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi, all!

I read an interesting post this week on the benefits of stevia on www.marksdailyapple.com, the February 8th one. Stevia increases insulin sensitivity, among other things.

I've been trying to increase my veggie consumption to see what impact that has on weight loss. Maybe I should try the green smoothies.

I'll have to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. Thanks for suggesting it, kittycarlson.

Hopeful1983
02-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I am about to start the BFC diet tomorrow. I am confused about a couple of things. When he shows a carb swap meal and it shows for example an omelette or pizza, but then he has additional sides listed as well. Are those sides included in the S/C value listed or are the sides extra. Also, how much is a serving. How much pasta can you actually eat? Is anyone eating fruit on this diet?
Also, is this just for the stomach, or will it decrease fat from other areas such as thighs? Thank you so much for all of your input!!!

ERHR
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Hopeful1983,

I'm just going to answer part of your questions, since I don't use Jorge's recipes at all (although I think everything pictured/listed for the recipe is included in the S/C value). A serving of carbohydrates is up to 20 grams and anything under 5 grams isn't counted as a serving.

So for instance, 2 oz of Barilla whole grain pasta, which is a serving on the box, is 41 grams of carbohydrates, or 3 servings on the BFC. Since we are supposed to stay under 2 servings of carbohydrates per meal, I eat less than 2 oz of pasta in a meal. For example, for dinner tonight I had 1.4 oz of whole-grain pasta with 1/4 cup low-sugar pasta sauce and 1 cup of broccoli, which is 3.9/2 on the BFC.

I haven't been eating fruit very much, partially because it is mostly out of season. In the spring/summer I may try to fit more in in small servings or go off-plan. I have occasionally had some blueberries and avocado this winter, in small portions. The nutritionist I saw last week was OK with me not eating much fruit as long as I have a variety of vegetables - same as what Jorge says in the book.

I have noticed slimming in various body parts, not just my stomach. I also did not experience the huge weight-loss that the book advertises in the first week or so, but I have been pleased with my progress.

ERHR

Fatlulu
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
A day in the life of Lulu....

Breakfast: two slices of light rye toast, two eggs, coffee with almond milk (sugar free)

Lunch: left over meat from the night before (a pork chop, or hamburg etc.), on a cup of baby spinach, w/ feta cheese. Sometimes 1/2 whole wheat pita.

Snack1: 1/3 cup Greek yogurt w/7 blackberries
Snack2: cheese string w/10 almonds

Dinner: meat (steak, hamburg, pork chops etc), two cups of salad w/oil/vin. Dressing, or sometimes broccoli, or asparagus (dark greens).

Drinks during the day: two more coffees and water from noon till bed time. I don't like pop.

That's it. That's my day. I welcome feedback on what I'm doing wrong.

Fatlulu
02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Oh, I should add that on Friday and Saturday I add two or three glasses of wine. And on weekends I add bacon to breakfast.

TheSquirrel
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day Everybody! Doing my Monday morning update. I am down to 188.8!!!! Do I say I broke 190s or broke 180s? I am so excited even after 2 days of crazy eating and temptations! How do I put a signature in?

Start 197
1/31/11 194
2/7/11 191.6
2/14/11 188.8

Lnm130
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I have done ok sticking to the plan. This weekend threw a couple curve balls at me, and I ended up eating Papa Johns Pizza Saturday night. I made the boyfriend get thin crust, and stayed close to OP.

Today...will be a challenge. I'm on lunch right now, but in an hour I will be bombarded with candy and chips and sugary drinks. I just keep reminding myself that I have plenty of BFC approved dark chocolate at home.

I want to weigh myself, but am afraid. I haven't weighed myself since mid summer. I'm so ashamed of how I look now :(

Hopeful1983
02-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Valentines Day is hard to stay on track. I know my husband is cooking tonight, so I have to tried to eat well all day, in preparation for his meal tonight..haha!

The s/c value for the recipes, is that 1 serving, or does that include all 4 serving?

Lnm130
02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
That's per serving.

I have survived Valentine's Day. My kids gave me all sorts of sweets. They've already been moved far, far away from me. There are a couple things I've kept...but I'm going to try to get rid of them before I leave for the day.

Where can you buy things like liquid Xylitol for baking and such?

shetide1
02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I have been able to find most things...pirates booty, chocolate unsw almond milk, jay robb protein shakes, etc in the health food/organic food section at Kroger. I was buying Amy's pizza's (thin crust), but recently found that Kroger's brand of thin crust pizza (private select) is much cheaper and I can have half a pizza and still stay within the limits (not that I eat that much, but I love knowing that I can! :) )

Do yal have any favorite things to eat that you want to share??? So far, I enjoy my unsw choc almond milk (shaken with a pack or two of stevia or a jay robb scoopful)...tastes like yummy choc milk and is so satisfying. I like to bake well seasoned chicken, chop it up, and mix with mayo and avocados (great fiber source) and eat by itself or in a flatbread. Yum. I also love a boca burger (or any burger for that matter), chopped up and served on lettuce w cheese and sour cream and chipotle tobasco. Sometimes I roll it up in a flatbread also. Broccoli cheese soup is a staple, as well as spinach and parmesan omelets. If I am going to deny myself sweets, chocolates, etc, I definitely want to allow myself the pleasure of eating the things we are allowed. Would love to hear some great yummy foods that yal like to eat.

Happy Valentines day! It was hard to turn down the Godiva from the hubby, but I know it wouldn't be worth it. I'll have lobster and butter instead :) Hope yal do great today!

Lnm130
02-14-2011, 07:09 PM
What broccoli cheese soup do you like? Spinach and parm omelets sound amazing!

I've looked in every store and can't seem to find the Xylitol. I'll keep checking.

I'll have to try the unsw choc almond milk.

I found some frozen chicken patties at trader joes today. I've been eating these chicken and cheese quesadillas for lunch at work with a salad. I picked up some tortillas for tacos and some bacon for breakfast.

I love that we get to eat all these foods!

koam
02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Good morning / afternoon all,

I just wanted to give an update of my progress. Yesterday was the last day of my first week and I am down 6lbs exactly. I only lost like .6 in the last 2 days. I was hoping for a little more, but am totally satisfied with the program so far. I'm sticking to it!! I'm having 2 tacos from Taco Bell today for lunch, since the book says that it's ok. But I'm back to my usual tomorrow. I hope that I can keep this type of progress up for a long time. Can anyone share with me the average weight loss per week after a couple of weeks into the program? I'm so afraid that the weight loss will slow down to a crawl soon. I can't afford to only lose 1 to 2 lbs per week. I have SOOOOOO much to lose.

thesquirrel
Great going!!!!

shetide1
Wow!! great choices. I'll have to try some of them.

lnm130
Don't be ashamed. Don't be sad. We have the tools to lose what we need to lose. Unlike those who don't have any clue on how to lose. Did you get on the scale to see your progress yet?

I'm trying to stay off the scale, but I still haven't been able to shake that habit of weighing daily. But I'm working on it.

have a great day all!!!!;)

Lnm130
02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I haven't gotten on the scale yet, as my mornings are so rushed and I refuse to weigh myself at night.

My dad did say I look different, and the ring on my right ring finger slides right off now. I like seeing my body change :)

TallBikerBabe
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Today I made it to "Onderland"! Haven't been here in 10 years....woot woot!

Lnm130
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Today I made it to "Onderland"! Haven't been here in 10 years....woot woot!

Congrats! That's awesome!

I found a new favorite thing...Trader Joe's Chipotle Garlic Salsa. Yummy! I put it on EVERYTHING.

So I need to weigh myself. I've got the urge. I want to do it privately, and since I still live at home, those moments are fleeting. I want to do it in the bathroom, but it is carpeted...is that bad? Maybe I'll stick it in the bath tub...

And....I CANNOT give up my Crystal Light. I just stop drinking water. It is the only artificial sweetner I use.

I've been doing pretty well...have to get better at keeping track at home. I think I went a bit over last night with my chocolate.

Fatlulu
02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
well just went on the scale again this morning and not a single pound lost. I may even be up a pound or two...I just don't get it. I've never ever had this happen on a diet. I'm starting to think I should make a doctors appointment. I've done the Atkins diet with great success, I've done WW, again success, herbal magic..etc all of them I've lost weight on. But suddenly this one, not a single pound.

I posted what I eat in a day, mabye if someone could comment on it and let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

two slices rye toast w/butter

One cheese string

1 cup of iceburg lettuce with evoo salt and pepper. topped with one small boneless skinless chicken breast chopped up.

two pork chops and 1 cup of mixed veggies

water and coffee.

Now this is a day where I've eaten a little less than normal because I was so darn busy, but I think that even calorie wise my diet is pretty good. I just don't get it!

Lnm130
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't know that I see enough protein in your post. You really need protein in the morning, also.

Fatlulu
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Okay, I'll up the protein. I was thinking of going full blown atkins for a week and cutting out carbs completely but I really want this diet to work. It seems so perfect. I get just enough carbs to keep me satisfied. I'm wondering if my constant yo-yoing has finally done my metabolism in.

dancingfish
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
no expert here-- heck I only lost .5 lbs last week sooooo-- but maybe cut out the bread and replace it with hard boiled eggs for the protein? Other than that look at portion control and either up or down it.... and keep drinking water!

Fatlulu
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
My two pieces of rye bread are sooooo satisfying. If I take that out then I really am back on the Atkins diet. Which is fine I guess, but it's not a diet one can really stick to. I suffer through eating eggs, almost like a punishment. I only started eating them again because of the diet, but I can only eat them a couple times a week.

shetide1
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
no expert here either, but it doesn't sound like you are eating enough. They say that can backfire. I couldn't stick to this if I were eating that little. Maybe try eating a lot more of the foods you are allowed...meat, almond milk, etc. Good luck and don't give up!

deetermined2
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi, all!

This isn't strictly BFC but going below a certain number of calories puts your body in starvation mode, and it won't lose any weight.

Generally, one of the things that is suppose to help weight loss is eliminating insulin spikes. Always pair carbs with proteins and/or fats or eat slow carbs. Most breads are fast carbs though some types of rye may be better than some.

You need to get enough protein so that your muscles aren't cannibalized. You also need to eat enough carbs for the same reason.

Water is also critical.

Lnm130
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, I bought a scale...this way I don't have to do it in the cold cold basement.

Lulu - Add some eggs in the morning, maybe. I have a new favorite breakfast that I fix at school. I don't like to eat right after I get up. I get a mug, put in two eggs and one wedge of laughing cow cheese. Add a couple of slices of bacon as a side. I throw the eggs and cheese in the microwave at work right before I go pick up my students. It holds me from 8-12. Sometimes I'll have string cheese as a snack at 1030.

What are your portable, low 'point', snacks? I feel like I frequently get stuck out without anything. I don't like nuts, but I also don't like starving myself until I get home, either. I'm looking for something that does not need to be refrigerated.

Lnm130
02-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I weighed myself this morning, 172. Yikes. It can only get better from here. Fridays will be my official weigh in day.

Fatlulu
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
well my stubborn streak is kicking in and I refuse to be beaten by this diet! :-) I'm just going to stick with it and not fret about the lack of weight loss at this point. My husband brought up a good point last night. He said, " you're eating food you like, getting quantities that keep you full, and you're not putting on weight" so point taken, I'll just eat this way because it's the healthy thing to do, to cut out the sugar and bad carbs.

I'm going to increase my water, up my portions of proteins (although I don't feel hungry at all). I'm truly not starving myself!

Lnm, don't fall into my trap of weighing in before your week is up! You end of feeling terrible when you haven't lost weight.

I'm interested in some portable low point snacks too. I'm munching on some almonds right now and not enjoying it. I have a cheese string sitting beside me and it's not looking appetizing either since I had cheese and meat for lunch.

Lnm130
02-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh I know, Lulu. I just hadn't weighed myself in about 9 months. Just wanted to see where I'm at. It's just depressing to see how many pounds I have yet to go.

The problem with string cheese is that it must be kept cold. I need something besides nuts that I can keep in my purse for emergencies.

kittycarlson
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
lulu and lmn, I just had lunch/snack of a couple of pieces of cervelot and cheese. I'm going to the microwave now to warm up some fried roasted cabbage. I also have some Lindt 90% chocolate in my desk and can have a square if I want to. I bring a little cooler to work with me and keep it under my desk so if I want to eat I can. Later I'll have some home made dill dip and cauliflower. I don't even unload the cooler just take it home with me and add new blue ice packages restock and grab it on my way to work in the AM. At night I switch the ice again. other things I enjoy are deviled eggs, celery and cream cheese, brie, etc.

Lnm130
02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I need something that requires no refrigeration or cooler. I would like to find something that I can keep in my car, keep in my purse. Something quick and easy. I too bring a cooler to work. And at work, that's fine. But out running errands? Not so much. And I don't want to depend on fast food either.

dancingfish
02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
My favorite snacks right now:

Pepperoni slices
String cheese
Nuts
Celery with spread cheese in it
Cheese-its
Little meat slices wrapped in cheese slices

I just bought today 2 kinds of yogart-
Siggis-Islandic style skyr- grapefruit flavor 9sugars/11carbs not bad tasting
I also bought the greek yogart-FAGE that Jorge talks about...alittle worried about that--no flavor--I can do fruited yogart but plain???? we will see

ohhh and I tried the Dreamfields pasta last night for the first time. Tasted fine but seriously 2oz (or 1/2 cup dry) is a snack!! not a meal....I am not sure how he gets the S/C in his book for it unless he is counting the fiber against the carbs???

I have tried really hard to only do 2 carb servings a day and about 4 sugars-- that way if I miss counting something I am ok... I just found out the cream cheese I was using had a sugar gram in it! UGHHH I guess thats why I leave plenty of room for mistakes...

koam
02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
hi all,

tallbikerbabe.
You go girl!!!

fatlulu.
Sorry darlin. Wish I could help, but I'm not doing too good myself. I don't know what I'm doing wrong either. I gained 1/2 a pound. Wish I had some ideas I could share with you.

kittycarlson.
If you don't mind me asking, how long has it taken you to lose what you've lost so far on this diet? Looks like you've had pretty good success.

koam
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Does anyone exercise on this diet?

Fatlulu
02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I wanted to start exercising but I just don't have the energy yet. The weather should be improving soon so I'll start walking.

Lnm130
02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Right now, I'm only working out once a week. Once this weather breaks I'm going to start the Couch to 5K program. I did it last summer but ended up hurting myself.

Reebee
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I just started doing Zumba and I started putting my treadmill to use. Let's see if this will do anything to jumpstart my weightloss.

deetermined2
02-18-2011, 01:16 AM
I use Barlean's Swirls to flavor the Fage Greek yogurt. The full fat is creamy enough and smooth enough to make it taste like a dessert. Other people add berries to it and/or a little stevia. Others throw a little granola on top.

I have two StayFit EZ-Freeze containers that have a freezable part. They are O.K. , but not a "have to buy". One is divided into 3 compartments - a large and 2 small. The food placed in this one needs to be solids only, otherwise your foods will mix, but it does hold its own plastic spork and knife in its lid. The other is a bowl with a lid that has a few sections and a place for salad dressing or dip which has a separate lid, then a third lid. This one does not have a place for utensils.

The first can be used for wraps or sandwiches or leftovers or veggies and dip or celery and cream cheese. The other works okay for salad or yogurt and toppings. You could put other things in it, if you wanted to.

jasmtnljj
02-18-2011, 09:31 AM
I am going to try to run my first 5K this year too! I actually have a race planned for June 11th! It is a race in my hometown that I always dreamed of running in. Im just waiting for spring to get training

koam
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I just ordered 2 of the Biggest Loser workout videos and hope to get them and start by 3/1. I am starting to get discouraged. I lost 6lbs the first week and this is my second week and I've already put 1lb back on. Wonder if that's going to be it for me. I'm hoping exercise will help.

dancingfish
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
I had a thought last night that I wonder if the S/C would be the same for everyone?? I know in WW sometimes you have to play with your points alittle to find exactly where you loose weight... do you think too little or too many s/c would play a part in this?

I am seriously considering switching back to WW after this week if I do not see a change in weight loss- with WW I could almost guarentee 2 lbs per week if I didn't cheat... I am not seeing that here and don't understand why if I am following the diet why its not working??

Anyone have thoughts on this?

TheSquirrel
02-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Dancingfish - I honestly believe different ways of eating work for different people. For me, this is working, I think, because I am prediabetic and because the carbs I was eating before were just empty, unhealthy. I do think programs like WW really help folks. Maybe that is the one for you. I have a friend who did BFC now for over a year. She does it a bit differently but stays within 15 sugars and 120 a day. She lost 35 pounds (she is barely 5 foot so that is a lot for her frame) and it took her a year. She knew she would lose more if she stuck to the 15/6 better, but made it very doable for her life and her family. She still eats this way and is very satisfied. I think there is not just one way for all of us to eat to be at our ideal weight. You have to find what works for you and give it your best. I like BFC because I get to enjoy a lot of good foods that are not typical diet foods. I think once I lose all of the weight I want to lose, I would like to add in more veggies and some fruit maybe that will keep me at that level? Anyway, don't beat yourself up. Give it a good try. Gauge how you feel - healthy, satisfied, starved, gaining, losing, and go from there. Immediate success is a wonderful high, but long term weight loss really is satisfying too. Read the meandjorge blog. It took her a long time and she looks great. Good luck to you and hope you find what works for you.

shetide1
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I definitely think each individual has to find their own magic number of carbs/sugars. I lost 6 lbs in week 1 and nothing in week 2. So, I have completely eliminated grains.... I eat lots of protein, protein shakes w/ almond milk, and lots of salads (with chicken salad on top and flax seeds or turkey, cheese, avocados and blue cheese, boiled eggs), broccoli (I cook it w butter and soy sauce and sometimes put cheese over it), and cauliflower (cook it then beat it with cream cheese, butter, and parm cheese)...and I don't limit how much. Wednesday will be a week on it, and I will weigh in and let you know how it goes. After only doing it for two days though, I can definitely tell that the weight is coming off again. P.S. I also occasionally drink low carb beer. A girls gotta have some fun, right??

TheSquirrel
02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Has anybody ever used the Tortilla Factory tortillas as a pizza crust? If so, did you pre-bake it before you added the toppings? I would love ideas.

deetermined2
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I had just looked at the BFC again, and one of the things Jorge mentions in questions and answers, is to make sure to get plenty of fiber if you plateau. He suggests 25 to 30 grams per day.

That might mean eating more salads or having fiber drinks or green drinks or just having more veg at every meal and as snacks.

And don't forget the water!

I just read that adding lemon to your diet or apple cider vinegar helps reduce insulin spikes. Perhaps that is why several diets are recommending hot water with a quarter lemon first thing in the morning.

I have to figure out just how grain sensitive I am, too. I know I react to wheat. I've been trying to go gluten free to see if that has any impact, but achieving that is difficult, especially when eating out occasionally. One gluten free bread I tried contained corn, which I know my sister reacted to at one point, so I'm not sure that really helped. Right now I've found one that is brown rice.

Your solution of avoiding all grains, shetide1, may be better.

TheSquirrel
02-18-2011, 10:51 PM
OK, so I tried the Tortilla Factory tortilla as a pizza crust and it was pretty ok. I don't really love them as tortillas, but as a pizza crust, yeah, it was ok. I put it in the oven plain for a few minutes (now i think I should have brushed it with some olive oil) to crisp it a bit. Then I added a tiny bit of classico pasta sauce and then cheese and then my meats, mushrooms, & spinach. Next time I want to try a white sauce instead of the tomato to make it more like a veggie delite from Papa Murphy's.

kittycarlson
02-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi, I really cut back on carbs this week and weighed in at 194 today. Jorge considers a 5-20 grams of carbs as a serving. Which could mean anywhere between 30 and 120 carbs per day not counting free carbs. Those under 5 grams like a pack of truvia. After several months on this plan I had reached a long plateau which could have been caused by too many carbs even though I was eating no way near 120 grams or all the sugar either. I cut way back this week and lost. There are a lot of posts about carb cycling which I haven't studied enough to totaly understand. The thing I do get from other's posts in all sections of 3FC is that when you plateau for weeks you might have to mix it up to start losing again as our bodies adapt to what we are doing.

If I have a complaint about BFC after following this thread for months it would be the unwarrented claims by Jorge of massive weight loss at the beginning of the diet. If it does happen it will happen most likely in men who are large and have not been watching their diet at all. Even so it will be mostly water weight. The loss the following week will usually be smaller or perhaps very small as your body resets it's water level to prevent dehydration. For people who are addicted to carbs and sugar as a fully believe I am. (just look at withdrawal and craving as a guide) This is a good plan. I can slowly lose weight and not give up because I am so frustrated by my deprivation or expectations. I think I have lost about 15-20 LBS since starting BFC. I believe that most people start dieting with the idea of dropping some weight preferably quickly and then plan to go back to less restrictive eating. I believe if I am going to maintain my weightloss I can't go back to previous levels of carbs and sugars. So this is a way of eating rather than a diet.

determined I have been squeezing lemon slices into my water bottles before I go to work. They taste great. I'm also trying to get five green teas. Usually two with caffeine and three decaffeinated

Fatlulu
02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Well I jumped on the scale yesterday morning and was finally down 2 lbs. It's not much, but I'll take it! I really think I'm going to have to dig deep for some energy and exercise. I know the diet says you lose weight without it, but clearly that's not going to work for me. I turned forty this year so I think I have to wake up to the fact that my metabolism has slowed down and I'm going to have to work harder to lose weight....oh to be 20 again!!! :-)

TheSquirrel
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Kitty & Lulu - Congrats on your weight losses!!! Yes keep it up. Slow and steady wins the race. I totally agree this is a forever lifestlye for me, too. I should never go back to my old ways of mindlessly eating massive amounts of sugar. Now, when I have a square or two of the yummy dark chocolate, I cherish it as something special and truly enjoy its richness. I feel like I am treating myself well.

deetermined2
02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
kittycarlson and lulu, congrats from me, too. Glad to hear the tweaking helps.

How low did you have to drop the carbs, kittycarlson?

And were you eating veggie carbs or grain carbs mainly?

Right now I'm reading Sugar Busters, Cut Sugar to Trim Fat, looking to see if I can glean any kernels of information that may help. Will let you know if I discover anything of interest.

jasmtnljj
02-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Well im on day 4 I think it is... and i am down 4 1/2 lbs! finally i have hit a new low and i am finally off my plateau! I have even found im urinating more often and I swear i must be peeing out fat LOLOLOL. But keep in mind im doing a full tae Bo amped work out each day too which accordin gto my fit ness pal is worth about 840 calorie burn. I think i finally found my magic formula to shedding this weight again!! Its been a long 9 month plateau at 188.2!! (flucuated a bit up and down) today I was 184.0! and that was the morning after 3 pieces of meat lovers pizza which should have given me a lot of water retention so i expect monday to be great numbers

deetermined2
02-19-2011, 06:23 PM
What a great start, jasmtnljj!

I hope I got your name right. (Couldn't decide what the last 2 letters are with the line under or through them.)

TheSquirrel
02-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi Gals, I just tried a new recipe from Jamie at Your Lighter Side Blog for hamburger buns. At first I thought it was a little eggy, but it has grown on me. Here it is: In one bowl, put 3 egg whites with 1/8tsp cream of tartar and the other bowl 3 yolks with 3 oz cream cheese. First with a mixer, mix the whites until stiff. Then mix the yolks (you can add garlic, parmesan, or whatever in this to flavor - I made plain). After the yolks are combined fold in the whites, then make six even dollops on a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake in a 300 oven for 30 minutes. They are beautiful. And, once I tried them with some Yumm sauce and cheese (didn't have a burger cooked yet) they taste pretty good. I think you can make them sweet by adding a sweetener to the yolks rather than garlic or parm or whatever. That sounds like a good dessert with whipped cream on top. So, if I calculate correctly, for two buns (top and bottom) the count would be 0/0. Zero sugar and only 2 carbs. Let me know if you try it and what you think.

kittycarlson
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
determined, I cut out the grain and ate roasted cabbage, cauliflower, some rotel tomatos with scrambled eggs and cheese, some 85% chocolate for a snack, some chocolate and cinnamon almond milk, lots of cheese and summer sausage. I also had some aitkins candy bars that were covered in peanuts and were like a salted nut roll. I bought them a while back and they were in my desk at work. Anyway I kept eating the same thing over and over Mon-Thurs while I was out of town working. I didn't crave at all. But now that I've been home and having grains I want more carby food.

jasmtnljj
02-20-2011, 07:54 AM
just call me Amanda :) I weighed in again this morning- 182.4!!!! wowzers! i think in another week I just might be needing a belt on my pants! Between this diet and doing Tae Bo I have found my zone :) love it love it

kittycarlson
02-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Congratulations Amanda, What were you doing before BFC besides working out? You've lost quite a bit.

Lnm130
02-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Well I am down another 1.4 today. I'm weighing everyday as I think it helps keep me on track...and I'm obsessed, lol. Now I wish I knew what I weighed before hand.

Friday We had a professional development day at school and I wore something a bit more fitted than I normally do. Someone called me skinny!! my first NSV!

jasmtnljj
02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I do exercise videos every day.. For awhile it was various Biggest Loser ones and Jillian Michaels but this week I moved onto Billy Blanks- Tae Bo videos.

jasmtnljj
02-20-2011, 06:34 PM
what is NSV ? new skinny version?

Lnm130
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
NSV = non-scale victory

Well, today was a pretty rough day. For breakfast I had some steak, actually...leftovers from dinner with the boyfriend last night. Then I ate chocolate. BFC approved choc, but maybe more than I should have. Then, I ate some of my dads chili...tomatoes, peppers, onions, the whole deal. Had about two cups. It was made with fresh venison...yum :)

TheSquirrel
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi Gals, So, I pretty much stuck to everything this week except I started drinking diet pepsi! I was addicted to it years ago because my work provided it for free. I kicked the habit and never had any until this last week. I am afraid I am addicted again. I tried the zevia and love it, but just can't afford to drink it daily. My goal this week is to go back to drinking my 64 oz of water first and then if I have done that, I will indulge in an unapproved diet pepsi. So here is the break down per week:
start 197
1/31 194
2/7 191.6
2/14 188.8
2/21 186.6
So, still losing at a decent rate and very happy for that!!! Thinking about doing a boot camp. Anybody else exercise that intensely while doing bfc? Jorge doesn't advise it while trying to lose weight. I can get a month for only $14 and don't want to pass it up. I also do zumba but have taken a break since the beginning of the year due to family being sick.

jasmtnljj
02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Squirrel- I am doing Taebo which is a hour of intense work out. I am not quite to a week yet of BFC but I lost 3 lbs this week! I will keep doing both together

TheSquirrel
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Squirrel- I am doing Taebo which is a hour of intense work out. I am not quite to a week yet of BFC but I lost 3 lbs this week! I will keep doing both together

Amanda, thank you for your info. That is encouraging. Back in the fall (before BFC) I did 60 of the 90 days of p90x and GAINED 8 pounds. Everybody told me it was muscle, but still who really wants to gain weight?? Anyway, you have encouraged me. Your stats on the side of your message are similar to mine so it will be neat to see if we have any patterns that are similar. I am more apple shaped. I was skinny (almost too skinny) until I met my husband 14 years ago. That started lots of bad habits: staying up late and eating whatever I want at 2 in the morning, drinking sodas, getting a desk job. I gained 30 pounds in just a matter of a few months and went up from there. Now, I know I have a lot of muscle under this fat. My eight year old has CP and I have to lift him a lot. I joke that I have trucker's arms from all of the lifting. The rest of the fat is in the tummy area. I seem to look pregnant without being pregnant. That is the worst. I feel good losing weight and hope that this way of eating will get rid of my tummy and the bootcamp too without "gaining muscle". I do have to say that I LOVE some of the foods we get to eat (alfredo sauce!!!!! dark chocolate, to name a few). Good luck to you, Amanda, and good luck to all you other gals. I have grown to depend on reading the posts for encouragement and ideas!!! Thank you, Gals!

Lnm130
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
So I went to a new (to me) shop in town, another health food store. I picked up a few things, but STILL cannot find the maltitol syrup to make the brownies in his book...anyone know what I can do for a substitute? I found a box mix, and I plan on trying it, but the very last ingredient is sucralose.

I went to Costco to get m Crystal Light, and I'm taking the fact that they were out as a sign to switch over to True Lemon. I picked up two products, True Lemonade and the actual True Lemon. I'm assuming I can just add some of my stevia to the True Lemon. The Lemonade version is just True Lemon with stevia apparently.

I picked up some Xylitol...I found it bulk and bought a little. Not sure what I'll use it in. Also got some unsweetened almond milk, both regular and chocolate.

Can I freeze the unused portion of the almond milk? I will not go through an entire container in a week.

deetermined2
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I've contemplated trying to make some kind of treat by freezing the unsweetened almond milk in an ice cream machine with a bit of stevia (and cinnamon). Has anyone tried anything like this? And if so, do you have any suggestions?

TheSquirrel
02-22-2011, 01:19 AM
I've contemplated trying to make some kind of treat by freezing the unsweetened almond milk in an ice cream machine with a bit of stevia (and cinnamon). Has anyone tried anything like this? And if so, do you have any suggestions?

Deetermined- I have not even thought of this, but it does sound good. I wonder though if there is enough fat in it. Doesn't there have to be fat to make it freeze well? I'm not sure about that. Maybe mixing almond milk withe cream would work? Or maybe on its own? I have wondered what to do with the usam because I can't drink it all within a week either. I hate cow's milk, but this stuff is pretty decent. My how I have missed cereal (lactose intolerant and just figured it out a couple of years ago - fine with cream though -doesn't make sense) and I am enjoying now with usam. Any breakfast ideas - I hate wasting one carb on a whole serving - Cup of cheerios is 20 and 1/2 cup usam is 1. I feel like I am wasting my carbs if I stop there. I suppose I could eat 3/4 cup of cheerios instead of a full cup and save a whole serving.

Lnm130
02-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I did some research last night and found several people om several different forums who froze the almond milk in ice cube trays. So, apparently you CAN freeze it. I will be using it mostly for baking anyway, so if the texture changes it won't bother me.

Holding steady at 170.6. Better than gaining. I really need to track my eating better at home. I'm just not tracking it at all. I am sick sick sick with some kind of head cold right now, and don't have any appetite. Made myself eat breakfast, two eggs, two slices of bacon, and my laughing cow cheese. Ate about 3/4.

How is everyone else doing?

misslady
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
First of all I want to say that I love the BFC tracker! I'm having issues adding new foods to it so that they can auto popluate. Any suggestions on how to add to it easily?

In regards to the servings, in the back of the BFC book when it says for example: Pasta, angel hair, barilla plus, Barilla serving 2oz S/C 2/2 How do you all estimate about how much pasta that is? I'm terrible with estimating. SO, I take some and put it on my plate, how do I guess how many ounces it is? Anyone have a method they use?

I'm just starting today. I've taken my measurements and weighed myself yesterday so we will see! Excited and hope it works. I want to lose 30lbs in total but at least 15lbs by April because I'm going to Miami!

P.s How do you make the diagram at the bottom in your signature to track your weight loss?

Thanks!

Lnm130
02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
misslady...what tracker are you using?

To find an accurate 2 oz of pasta, you would have to weigh it.

We can't get signatures until we have been active members for 20 days, and I think you have to make 20 posts as well.

VinoGal
02-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

I've been on BFC now for 9 days. Before I started, I had not weighed myself in over 3 years. I knew I hadn't gone up, since all of my clothes from then to now still fit. Well, on Monday morning, I bit the big one and weighed myself. I actually weighed less than I did when I last weighed myself, just before I had to have "female" surgery.

I can tell that I've lost some as I've dimples where before were nicely rounded plump spots on my tummy. I've got a lot to lose and I've made to promise to myself to see this through to the end. Now to encourage my teenage son who so desperately needs to lose weight to start with me. He's recovering from knee surgery he had last Thursday and just doesn't want to commit to anything now.

I found a new product at my local Winco Store yesterday that I hadn't seen before. It is called FlatOuts and are flat bread. The light original flat bread equals 1/1 and can be used as a base for pizza. Am going to try it soon!!!

Continued success to everyone!

dancingfish
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
So happy to hear everyone is doing so well... Today was weigh in day for me... sadly only .5 lbs down.. I know I should be happy it wasn't a gain--but this is 3 weeks later and I am only down 1.5lbs.. I added lemon to the water last week.. Cut back on bread carbs and still can't seem to get this thing started... I really beleive its too early for a plateu

I averages 3 carbs a day and 8 sugars-- so I know I am staying on plan. The only thing I can think of is portion size. I will work on that this week.

I know there might have been one day last week that I went over due to mushrooms--hubby made scrambled eggs for dinner and didn't measure them out (ughh thanks for helping) but I guess if you are going to go over a veggie is the best way right?

As far as the pasta-- yes you have to measure. If you are having elbows its generally about 1/2 cup uncooked that gets you 2 oz... in my opinion not worth the carbs (but then I love pasta!) Estimating gets you in trouble especially if you are estimating when you are hungry!

Lnm130
02-22-2011, 04:21 PM
I averages 3 carbs a day and 8 sugars-- so I know I am staying on plan. The only thing I can think of is portion size. I will work on that this week.

Jorge says in his book that we need to get all 6 carbs in, I'm pretty sure. I know that I rarely get al 6 either. I'm ALWAYS under on the sugar as well.

kittycarlson
02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I've read lots of posts in different places on the internet and jorge's 120 grams of carbs per day is kind of high for sustained weight loss unless you are just starting. I did lose at first with higher amounts of carbs but stalled for about six weeks and I was following everything to the letter. I'd get on the scale every week expecting a loss to no avail. I know I wasn't losing inches either as my skinny jeans were still tight.

I lost 2 LBs last week by cutting out all grains and just eating vegetable carbs. I understand that his new fast start program cuts out all grains even metamucil.

I think we all need to pay attention to what results in weight loss for each of us and adjust our carbs accordingly. I have friends who have low carbed long term and it seems they need to eat fewer and fewer carbs to keep on losing. So if that is true a person wouldn't want to restrict carbs too early on as you will probably have to restrict gradually to keep losing.

Jorge has a face book page I think jorgecruise will pull it up. I have read some interesting posts there from longer term BFCers.

dancing fish you would have to eat a lot of mushrooms to go over on carbs 1 cup would be eight grams of carbs. You would need to eat 2 1/2 cups to really go over unless you had a lot of other carbs with the meal.

lmn130 All six servings could be as few as 30 grams of carbs. I know when I first started coming here someone posted that most BFCers don't try to max out their carbs.

I have been thinking about this carb cycling that some people in other areas post about to keep weight loss on track. I don't know if it is the same thing as calorie cycling. I guess the idea is to keep the body guessing with some higher carb days and lower carb days as we can go into survival mode. Our bodies do adapt to what we are eating and try to hang on to that darn fat.

Hope this post wasn't too much of a bummer. I do like the WOE as all the protein and fat are really satisfying and I have been able to stick with this plan long term. So I guess even though the weight loss has slowed to a crawl I am maintaining. In the past if I would have felt deprived I would have gone off the diet and been gaining. Because I wouldn't think I was losing and it wasn't worth it. I was probably white knuckling it every single day.

Fatlulu
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I was suppose to weigh in yesterday but didn't. Don't laugh at my reason, but it's because I haven't had a bowel movement for two days! Needless to say I'm feeling rather bloated! I'm going to have to go buy something to fix this situation. I think I overdid the cheese this weekend :-)

kittycarlson
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
lulu, I do it all the time. LOL. That can have a huge impact especially if you are losing slowly. What works the best for me is smooth move tea. I drink it and then the next day I just go normally.