100 lb. Club - Obesity May Interfere With Vitamin D Absorption

DixC Chix
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
The researchers also suggest that overweight and obese people may have problems processing the vitamin properly.

They also suggested that people who are overweight and obese might benefit from vitamin D supplementation and more exposure to sunlight.

Sounds like a lot more of us would benefit from supplementing our Vit D.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20101218/hl_hsn/obesitymayinterferewithvitamindabsorption

Arctic Mama
12-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I wonder if they controlled this for activity levels? The higher the BMI, generally, the more sedentary the individual. I know I went outside more when I was thinner and more active.

Either way, fascinating research on our ability to convert and metabolize the vitamin breaking down with obesity. I wonder if chemical or hormonal interference is the culprit?

Living so far north and being a house mouse I supplement myself liberally with vitamin D, as well as working at getting lots of dietary sources of it. I supplement my kids for the same reason. It's really necessary when there is only sunlight a few hours a day, and it never gets decently above the horizon :lol:

PinkHoodie
12-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I have been hearing alot about Vitamin D lately...like the universe is trying to tell me something. Its also related to Fertility which is a huge part of my life right now (PCOS). I am thinking I need to get my numbers checked. Especially now, we have had no sun for 3-4 days now, just constant cloud cover, so I am getting little to no sun...Thanks for sharing this.

nelie
12-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I suggest when you go for your yearly physical and blood tests, that you ask for vitamin D. My last physical included a vitamin D test which showed me low and I took a prescription vitamin D and now I take OTC. My doctor also said that she thought vitamin D2 was better to take than vitamin D3.