Simply Filling/Core - Weekly Chat: TUES. Dec. 21- SUN. Dec. 26

Tejas
12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
We forgot that it's a new week!!!

Here's our new pages.

Tejas
12-21-2010, 12:02 PM
We were all asleep at the wheel, or otherwise busy or dealing with life.

Did anyone watch the eclipse? I saw it at 1:30 and 3:30AM. Spectacular.

We're off to see the GKs.

BBL

Katpo
12-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Good Tuesday morning to all!!

Well, they updated our browser at work and I can get here now, at least until something else goes south. Pages load, I can stay logged in, life is good. I'm not sure how the home computer will be yet since I didn't get a chance to get here last night. It was having issues too, but I think it was my computer. I got a new one recently so here's hoping that it'll be okay.

HOW IS EVERYBODY??? I have really missed being here.

Let's see: I have a grandbaby. His name is Aiden and he is AWESOME! He's 5 months old. Kate and her husband live in Grapevine, which isn't too terribly far from us. We get to keep him from time to time so that's always fun.

Rhonda, I didn't know you were back! Are you in Denton? I'm sure you're happy about getting to see Sandra and Curtis more often! It would be fun to get together some day.

Vickie, I love Etsy! I've been sewing up a storm, mostly aprons and quilts. We're off work from this Thursday the 23rd thru Jan. 4th so I hope to get a lot more done then. I hope to get at least 50-60 aprons made by the beginning of summer and if I do, I'll get a booth at the little Farmer's Market here in town. I made Aiden a quilt for Christmas, and have lots of fabric left, so I'll also make one for his mom and dad and probably save it for next Christmas.

Sandra, we spent a lot of time in Cleburne last year at Plaza Theater since my brother acts and directs there. He's opening a new play Dec. 31, The Man with the Pointed Toes. It'll run thru the end of January and sounds pretty good. I've been keeping up with your tournaments thru FB. Sounds like you've had a good year!

:hug: Hugs all around, dear friends. I hope you'll let me come back.

Katpo
12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
I forgot to say that the avatar is Christmas cookies and no, I didn't make them but would like to. They look easy enough but everybody hates red icing ... or to be more exact, red teeth.

Katpo
12-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Here's a picture of Kate, me, my mom and the baby. I guess you can figure who's who.

Vickie
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Everyone looks gorgeous, Kathy. And congratulations Grandma!

Tejas
12-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Great picture, Kathy. Glad you can be back here.

Yes, I'm in Denton. We don't see Sandra and Curtis nearly enough, but it's nice to be closer. I lived in Cleburne too...from 1950 to 1963 and my parents were there until they died. I graduated from high school there and still have many friends in the town.

We had a tiring day with the GKs. We went to Northpark mall in Dallas and looked at the train display. TOO MANY PEOPLE AND CARS! I'm glad we did it, but it wasn't such a simple thing to do really.

I'm going to do nothing tonight, absolutely nothing.

nancy237
12-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey guys

Robin and I got terrible news Monday at his Dr appt that he has
Acute Leukemia. He was admitted immediately in the hospital and the past 2 days have been full of a zillion tests and procedures to ready him for the treatment phase which will begin tomorrow. He will have to be in the hospital for a month and hopefully have remission at that point and then more treatment after that to stay in remission.

We find out if it is ALL or AML tomorrow when the biopsy report returns.

We are scared but focused on a positive outcome .
Man how life can turn upside down in just a few days.

Prayers appreciated !!

Katpo
12-22-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't know you, but I am very sorry to hear that! I was reading on last week's thread where you mentioned the weakness, etc. and that leukemia needed to be ruled out. I'll be praying for you all.

Vickie
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Nancy, this is just awful news for Robin. I'm SO very thankful that you sought medical treatment quickly and that action will be taken to help him right away. I will absolutely continue to pray for you both for as long as it takes. I hope he starts to feel better soon. Take care of yourself so that you have the strength to help him.

Tejas
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Dear Nancy:

You and Robin were very smart to get medical treatment when he felt weak. It is easy for people to dismiss those symptoms as fatigue and to resist going to get an assessment.

I shall pray for you and your family intently. I hope that you can keep us informed, and I second Vickie's advice. Stay as strong as you can.

You are so right: life can change in an eye blink.

Rhonda

ontarget
12-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Nancy, my heart goes out to you and Robin. I will continue to pray for you both. What a blessing he went to the doctor! I agree with everyone else--please take care of yourself so you can help Robin.

Kathy, congratulations, Grandmother. Aiden is adorable. It is so good to see you back here. It's been too long, friend.

Rhonda, North Park is always beautiful this time of year. I'm glad ya'll got to go. Now get some rest.

Vickie, I like your tracker.

My gf and I took a girls' afternoon out today. Now I'm resting, too.

Night night, Chickies.

Katpo
12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
What a tiring day! I'll be glad when things get back to normal and I can get back on my regular work, eating and sleeping schedule. I can sure tell when I go too far off-plan.

Night all.

ontarget
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Ditto! We just had wine coolers.

sloanie
12-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Nancy, I am so very sorry to hear about Robin's diagnosis! What a blessing that you took his weakness seriously. About two years ago, one of my church friends went through the same thing. She has been in remission since her first hospitalization. I am sending you a pm 'cause I want to share some things with you. Please know that we are praying for you and Robin. Lots and lots of prayers!

Vickie
12-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm T I R E D!!! I made 5 batches of cookies yesterday and only ate 3 cookies. I had to try them to make sure they were acceptable for those receiving them! I tried to adjust my food accordingly yesterday.

The cleaning lady is here this morning. I, as all of us, have some big eating challenges coming up in the next 3 days. We also get together and celebrate on the day after Christmas as well. My plan is to be on plan for as many meals as possible but let myself have treats and yummy foods at the celebration meals. We'll see how that works this year.

I have more cooking and baking to do tomorrow. There was no other time to get it done and still have it be fresh for the day after Christmas. Ugh. If I think I'm tired now.....wait. And, Jim has a cold which I think he has shared with me. That's just not right.

What do you all have planned?

sloanie
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Mornin' chicks! I have more shopping to do, ugh! I plan to have Vance pick up a couple of things for my mom, and I have stocking stuffers to purchase. The best part is that I do my own stocking, so I always love what I find in there on Christmas morning ;) I plan to try a new sugar cookie recipe. I remember that Sandra (I think that's right) loves sugar cookies, too. Sandra, I'll let you know how the new recipe tastes. It's called Browned butter sugar cookies, yummy!

I've got to get busy, so I'll try to check in later. Have a great day, y'all!

Katpo
12-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I got up early and went to do a few things while Judd slept in. Then when I got home, we wrapped some gifts and headed out to lunch. Went to Target to get the grandboy some more things (such as the CUTEST little Santa outfit), more plates for tomorrow night, and some cleaning products. Made arrangements to pick up tamales tomorrow from the lady who cleans our house and is also the cook at the Mexican restaurant we go to. Now it's back to laundry and later, going to the grocery store for Christmas and weekend food.

Vickie, I hope your cold goes away before it gets started good, and that it doesn't put a damper on your Christmas plans.

ontarget
12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Vickie, your plan for eating sounds good to me. We're already finished with most of our celebrating. Of course, the eating part continues. So far today I'm doing well. Yesterday my gf and I shared appetizers. (and a lot of them!)

Kathy, we're having tamales for dinner tonight. Sounds like you're busy getting goodies for your little guy. Makes me smile.

Sloan, you sound excited, too. How fun doing stockings! What are you getting?

pam920
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Stopping by to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I'm in Ky and my internet is sporadic. I'm using my daughters WI-FI and they are having trouble with their modem.

Nancy, I will keep your husband in my prayers. I, too, am happy sought medical advice quickly. Take care of yourself too.

I doubt I will make it back here before we get back home. It's cold and my body is not liking it one bit. My granddaughter and family should be arriving soon. I'm elected to cook. Will blow the diet, but I've been doing really well, so one day is not going to hurt. I won't go too crazy.

Happy Holidays Chickies

Tejas
12-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi:

I've spent some of today with my niece, dealing with some difficult matters related to her father (my brother), but also doing a little shopping for her grandson, so we made the best of the day and enjoyed each other's company.

I went to a memorial service for a church member last night, and will go to Christmas Eve services tomorrow night. Christmas day brings breakfast with the GKs, and maybe lunch at the congregational dinner. But, I may also just stay home.

Nancy, I've been thinking about you and Robin all day.

Rhonda

Vickie
12-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Good Morning Chicks! And the marathon has begun. We had an awesome meal at the Aja restaurant last night. http://www.danahotelandspa.com/media/docs/Finalaja11210.pdf The food was spectacular and we were served at the Chef's table. He chose our meals and it was pretty much samplings of everything. We had a great time and are now rushing to get ready for breakfast out with the Great Nieces and Nephew. Then back home for a day of cooking and baking before Jim and I open our presents to each other this evening.

And then, tomorrow more festivities. Sheesh! Fun but stressful. Hope you are all well. Makes me smile to read that there are tamales on the menu in Texas. No tamales here but plenty of pierogis!

Tejas
12-24-2010, 05:12 PM
cold today, hot tamale :lol:

Katpo
12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Haha! Ours were just delivered and I tried one. Very good! We always get poblano and monterey jack cheese because we don't eat meat. She has also made bean and cheese for us before. Everything she makes is great though.

Erin and Freddie got here last night from Houston, and Kate and Aiden are here now. Kate's husband isn't coming to Christmas Even at our house tonight (I won't even try to get into it but he's one selfish SOB who doesn't deserve her or the baby). I'm making charro beans and spicy corn to go with the tamales, and then for appetizers/snacks it's brie baked in puff pastry, cheese and crackers, fruit tray, vegetable tray, and boiled shrimp. Hopefully everybody won't notice that I haven't made any desserts yet. Yikes! Suppose I'd better go at least make one pie real fast.

ontarget
12-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I posted here earlier today with words of wisdom and cheer. Guess they're floating around in cyber space.

It's chilli here. (pun intended)

Nancy, you and Robin are in my prayers.

Everyone enjoy Christmas festivities. I'll be back to catch you later.:clause:

Vickie
12-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Just came here to whine! I finished the lemon squares and made the jello mold. I made the white sauce and was melting 3 pounds of cheese into the white sauce. When I was nearly finished, I saw dark flecks of something in the sauce. It was the teflon coating from my pan!!!!! Needless to say, the cheese sauce and pan will be going into the garbage on Monday. I'm going to try to get more cheese on Sunday morning and make the macaroni and cheese over again before we go to my nieces for the day after Christmas party. I'm so aggravated......and I'm trying not to cry. I just knew I couldn't serve it to anyone.

I'm going to relax for a while and then Jim and I will open our presents to each other. He's actually feeling worse. Poor guy.

Hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas Eve. Nancy and Robin....we will continue to pray for you.

ontarget
12-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Vickie, that's good you caught the damage before anyone ate any of it. I hope Jim's feeling better.

:ginger::clause:

nancy237
12-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Christmas in a hospital is possible.

We had a hard time deciding how we would
have Christmas with Robin in the hospital this year.
He wanted us to still do a family gathering and
open presents & then come see him.
No one else could handle doing anything
with him sitting at the hospital alone .

I am here with him 24/7 right now and in the morning our entire family
will gather in his room (8 of us) and we are going to open presents and
go have a lunch together in the hospital cafeteria. It is so clear to me this year
that Christmas is 2 things only....Christ's holy birthday and family !!!

It has been a roller coaster this week with some liver issues, high glucose
levels, and a one night high fever but overall his first round of Chemo is going well and will be done tomorrow night. Tomorrow is a drug that is hard on the liver and his liver is already being a tiny bit temperamental. So once we get through that we will feel like we are over a major hurdle.
Next week is when he will feel the worse before his body begins to
rebuild healthy blood cells.

We are learning to ask friends for what we need and limit visitors.

I appreciate all your prayers and Sloan we are taking your advice on the oral care.

About my weight...I am losing but I would not recommend anyone follow my method LOL

Katpo
12-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Bless your heart. That's about all I can say -- you hang in there. I love your plan for tomorrow and you are so right about the reason.

Tejas
12-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Yes, Nancy, ask for what you need. Don't be reticent at all, just ask. Real friends will provide.

It sounds like you have a good plan for Christmas. Stay strong and focus on what matters.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Rhonda

sloanie
12-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! I know we are all enjoying our family and friends, but we are thinking about Nancy and Robin. My extended family on my mom's side gathered tonight. We had about 60 in attendance. One of the cousins brought a DVD he had made from old movies that were taken at family Christmas parties from 1955-1965. So many of the aunts and uncles have passed on. It was awesome to see all of them so young and full of life, but it was also very emotional. In one clip my dad, he was about 23 years old, stole a kiss from my mom under the mistletoe and pretended to swoon then went back for more! It was so precious to see that.

We are home now, and the kids are wearing their traditional Christmas eve present, new pajamas. We will just hang out here tomorrow and enjoy the white Christmas we are having. I hope you all have a blessed time tomorrow. Nancy, we are all praying!!!!

Vickie
12-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Chicks! A VERY Merry Christmas to each of you.

Nancy, I'm so happy that Robin is getting treatment so quickly and that all seems to be going well. You will both be in my thoughts today and I celebrate and am thankful for my friends and family. I think your plans for today are beautiful.

I'm off to get ready to enjoy the rest of my day. I'll be up early tomorrow making more macaroni and cheese for the "day after" party!

ontarget
12-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Nancy, you're right about the reason for the season. Your plan for today sounds good. Just keep telling all what you need and don't need. You're smart. Robin and you are blessed with family and friends.

I hope each of you is having the day you want. I'll be back later.

Tejas
12-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I hope you all had a good day, that Nancy and Robin made the very best out of a difficult situation, and that Jojo and DH are finding the support they need to get through the holiday :grouphug:

We had a good day, visiting the GKs and other family. Our evening has been blessedly quiet, with phone calls to and from friends in various parts of Canada.

:tree: :ginger:

Rhonda

sloanie
12-26-2010, 12:25 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Y'ALL! We've had a quiet day. It's been snowing for the last 24 hours, but most of the roads are in good shape. I hope you all have had a peaceful day. I like Sandra's sentiment: I hope you all have had the day that you wanted.

Nancy, I've been praying for y'all today. I'm especially focusing on Robins mouth and liver! Let us know if there are any specific prayer requests you all have.

Jojo, y'all have been on my mind today. My mom was talking about how kind people have been to her this Christmas, and I told her your story about the neighbors decorating in Beth's favorite color. She was very touched by that. Are you and Mark okay? I really hope you have had some blessings this Christmas.

Have a good night, chicks!

Vickie
12-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Merry Day After! I got on the scale this morning and I'm up 4 pounds. I don't think I've eaten enough to gain that much, but the salt is a problem. I have one more party today and then back to some serious business.

My family was sure to be thankful for each other yesterday. I told them about my cyber friends and they will keep you all in their prayers as well. Have a wonderful, quiet day.

nancy237
12-26-2010, 10:33 AM
We had a nice Christmas time at the hospital and were able to all eat together
in the cafeteria..
We had 2 bad nights Thur & Friday night with a reaction to the steriod medicines that caused a major mental confusion period from about 12 pm til morning.
The praise is that they headed it off last night and He slept great and that let me leave the room (while daughter slept in room with him) and sleep
very well in a family room. It was urgent that I get that sleep because after 2 nights of his reaction I had hit the wall with the stress & lack of sleep.
We had lots of people praying for last night so it was an answered prayer.

Specific prayers now...
Praise for last day of Chemo drugs ..they end at 6 pm today.

Pray for chemo effects this next week to be light and his mouth be healthy.
(thanks sloan..we are learning that the mouth can be a big problem )

Pray now for the drugs to clear the leukemia and bring remission for this treatment . We will know in about 4 weeks with a bone marrow biopsy.

Pray for the liver to continue to improve.

Thank you for your support & prayers....

Vickie
12-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Nancy, I'm SO glad you posted as I've been hoping for news of Robin. Please tell him that your cyber friends are all hoping for a complete recovery and remission. If he's the kissy huggy kind of guy, give him one of each from me.

I'm glad you got some sleep but sorry that you had to hit the wall in order to get it for yourself. Remember, if you get sick, Robin will have no one to lean on. I will send up a silent prayer at 6 p.m. in happiness for the end of the chemo and will visualize a healthy mouth and no side affects for Robin during the week. Also good thoughts for his touchy liver.

And prayers and good thoughts for you too, my friend.

Tejas
12-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Nancy, I'm thinking of you and Robin continuously and hoping for only the best. Yes, the mouth can really take a beating during chemo. I remember my late DH's struggles with that very clearly.

Vickie, I'm not even going to get on the scales. I had to break out a pair of jeans that I thought I had outgrown forever! That made me really unhappy. Off to the gym to get on the monster elliptical trainer.

I've just set up the Bose system that my DH got for me. What a sweetheart! I've wanted one for years and now I have one. The sound is HUGE!

ontarget
12-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Nancy, I echo what others are saying, and I'll be saying prayers for you and Robin.

Curtis went to church today while I stayed home with a cold. When he got home, we went for burgers and got to visit with some of our church family. I tried not to breathe on anyone. We had good fellowship.

Scales? I may have a private wi Tuesday as I get back on track. I have definitely indulged but am now on Day 201 sugar-free. Shocker, isn't it?

sloanie
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Happy boxing day everyone! I admit that I am not boxing up anything today, are y'all? I have done a little cleaning, and now I'm watching an old Disney movie.

Nancy, I'm already praying for remission/cure, liver protection, and a healthy mouth. I'm so glad today is the last day for chemo. When will you all get to go home? Please take care of yourself!

I'm gonna get off here so I can finish my movie. I'll try to check in later.

Tejas
12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Sandra, there is no way I could get through the holiday sugar free. Congratulations on 200 + days.

I went to the gym: 20 minutes on the :ebike: and 15 minutes on the :woops:

ontarget
12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
And I'm impressed with your exercising. I haven't been able to commit to doing that.

Katpo
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I've had a really good last few days (eating wise); we had salmon for dinner last night at the inlaws and a lot of vegetables. No dessert, and half a roll. They got me a fitbit, which I am really excited about. If you've never heard of them you should check it out. fitbit.com