Alternachicks - Roller Derby is my drug

View Full Version : Roller Derby is my drug

mamaspank
12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
So I have been gone a while and gained 16 pounds since I was last posting. And the only reason I hit 139 last July was because I had a horrific bout of pneumonia. Well, after a vacation and my torrid love affair with donuts and pizza, I am back.

Since last summer I have also turned my passion for photography into a business and sitting on my butt editing photos doesn't help either. Last October I decided to cross roller derby off my bucket list and just do it. I was ready to start four years ago, and found out I was knocked up. Best thing that ever happened to me, but I had to put derby on the back burner.

You know what is intimidating? Showing up alone to your first fresh meat practice. I am pretty sure I can drop this extra weight in little to no time at all, as long as I watch what I eat and work out a few days a week besides practice days. Maybe even keep track of my points again (WW).

Is it possible to end January 2011 with a ten-pound weight loss, flourishing career, and make the derby team? I think it might be.

evilwomaniamshe
12-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Hey 'spank that mama'- ;) welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn

Hope 2010
12-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Yay Roller Derby!!! Best sport ever- good luck making the team.

NHDerby
12-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sigrid
01-03-2011, 02:44 AM
You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right ;) )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

mauvaisroux
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape. :)

princesspuffypants
01-10-2011, 05:17 AM
OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?

leimel
01-10-2011, 11:33 PM
I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?

princesspuffypants
01-14-2011, 06:32 AM
well thats what all the protective gear is for. but broken fingers arent uncommon. we learn how to get up without putting our hands on the ground, but its possible to have your hand rolled over and a finer broken. i would just invest in good glove type wrist guards.

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey 'spank that mama'- ;) welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn

Thanks, Wendalyn! You ought to try to catch a bout somewhere sometime. Derby is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have always considered myself and athlete and I can honestly say that I have never sucked so bad at anything ever. I have been doing this since October and can't believe how much I have learned. Especially about myself and my body.

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.

I started in October. That first practice was so intimidating. I went alone -- a lot of people bring a friend for their first time, even if they are just going to watch. I am not going to lie, my team is pretty elitist. Not the friendliest bunch. It took a little while to make friends, but now I am in like Flint. I am now the official photographer for the men's league and will be taking my skills test in March.

I twisted my knee in practice on Sunday, but after icing it and painkillers, I am going to skate Wednesday no matter what. You have to be able to devote quite a bit of time. Actually, a lot. I practice twice a week for a couple hours each time. The time I put in on my own though is about another four to six hours a week. I like to skate with the men's team and also skate at the local skating rink just to free skate and work on all my extra stuff that you don't really need to know for skills. Our team has some pretty flashy skaters, and those tricks come in handy during bouts.

My advice would be to just go for it. Don't let them scare you off. You have got to work your tail off. I would say I am having the toughest time building my endurance. I burn so many calories and am having a helluva time losing weight because I eat so freakin' much after practice. You really have to up your protein and try to make sure you are snacking with stuff like fruit and vegis and greek yogurt. My issue is I know I have burnt 2000 calories after a practice and promptly go and make up for it the rest of the day. You can do it. Don't let those beautiful skates go to waste. Go be aggressive and fierce.

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:44 PM
You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right ;) )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

You are so close to your laps. You will have that in no time. Good luck to you too!

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape. :)

It's a fabulous way to get into shape, make a ton of friends and empower yourself. I will say one thing, my body has never looked so different. I don't know if it is a good thing either. I am just a lot more solid, less svelte.

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:50 PM
I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?

I was a court reporter for years. Honestly, it can be pretty dangerous. It is the most dangerous thing I have ever done, and I played the gamut of sports in high school. You do have protective gear, but nothing for your chin, collarbone, shoulders, hips, ankles, back. I have seen some insane injuries. Luckily, you wear a nice little wrist guard, and I have found that to be the most important protection, aside from knee pads, that I use the most. So, yes, very dangerous. I don't want to dissuade you because it is life-changing and I am in love with it.

mamaspank
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?

I am fresh meat with Treasure Valley Rollergirls in Boise, Idaho. When is your skills assessment?

Call Me Stephanie
01-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha

iamnotrockabilly
01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Derby is rad. I skated Renegade style for the past couple seasons but ended up taking some time off due to a shoulder injury. During the break I also decided to try my hand at some WFTDA teams so now I am just getting back into shape for that whole ordeal.

Anyways, congrats on sticking with it. I've seen sooooooo many gals start and get all psyched for like 2 practices then are gone.

Oh yeah. Try some plyometrics. In my opinion, those type of workouts work wonders on endurance.

bananapancakes
01-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?

mamaspank
02-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Good luck! Roller Derby looks much too fun. I'm terrible at skating though since we don't have rinks around here and... I dunno, I just really suck. I used to try practicing on empty roads but alas. Oh well. Good luck for you though! haha

Thank you. It is a lot of fun. I was terrible at first too. No rinks necessary. Just need some pretty smooth concrete or a gym floor, and you can skate anywhere.

mamaspank
02-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Iamnotrockabilly,

Thank you! What is "Renegade style"? Is it a non WFTDA team? If so, that sounds like fun. Our team is in the process of going through the WFTDA steps to get registered. Yes. Our team has some pretty mean girls that make it hard to want to keep going. Thick skin is required. Well, good luck to you. I just had practice tonight. Very frustrating tonight.

mamaspank
02-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Audra, I think it's bloody brilliant that you had the big brass balls to give roller derby a whirl and awesome that it's a regular thing in your life, I was going to say that it's a great healthy hobby but with all the possible injuries, I'm not sure sure- ha! Your photography speaks for itself, you should share a few pictures on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see them (people, this woman has talent!). Anyway, glad to see you're getting back on the wagon, I'm just hopping back on myself after another round of self sabotage. It seems like a never ending battle. Btw, have you considered taking some healthy snacks/food with you in a wee cooler for after your skate sessions for when you're ridiculously hungry or does everyone meet up and go out after to a bar/restaurant?

I am the healthiest and not healthiest I have ever been. I am pretty sure I have a fractured wrist and have had a nasty knee injury for the past month. I just want to make draft. There is no way I am taking time off now. I have been doing this since October and this is the first draft they have offered.

I had such a horrific practice tonight. Crying, the whole bit. A few of the girls are so effing mean. Just nag and nag and nag. I had had it. I wasn't shy about it either. I have never felt like anything killed my spirit like tonight. Derby attracts some very cool girls, but it can also attract some very elitist type personalities.

On the lighter side, I have lost ten pounds without really trying because I burn about 2000 to 3000 calories every practice. I have about 10 to 15 more I could lose, but I am starting to get a butt!!!! So it is harder to eat healthier because the girls do like to hit up places that serve very tasty bar food. I just try to wait until I get home. Doesn't work every time! Even when I bring snacks. I just get this mentality that I deserve it dammit. What's it going to hurt if I have 23 big fat beer battered onion rings that probably don't even have onions in them?

Photography has really taken a back burner since I started. With the improvement in the weather though, business is picking back up. Being the men's derby photographer helps keep me clicking away.

What made you fall off the wagon? You look great -- I bet it will quickly melt off again. You are so sweet. Thank you for all the kind words tonight. I really needed it. Derby was tough on me tonight. I love your posts because they just are so lovely and really show how much you love animals. I don't think I could do what you do. I would have a nervous breakdown. Well, we will have to send each other little messages about weight flucuations. Maybe that will help. I got below 150 last weekend. And rewarded myself with a donut. HAHAHA! The new plan is five pounds in the next month. You?

Phae
03-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh wow, I want to try derby so bad! I am saving up to buy a fresh meat kit. I haven't skated in years, but I really want to pick it back up. I love the thrill and adrenaline of derby (or at least what I've seen of it!). I think it would be so much fun!

StarryEyes86
03-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey mamaspank!

I'm with the San Diego Derby Dolls. I'm still a bootcamper but I'm almost out! I'm sorry you're having a rough time with some of the elitist personalities. Just keep your chin up and just keep swimming. I've recently decided to not use derby to get into shape. I've recently discovered this saying from our announcer, "Don't play to get fit. Get fit to play." That really stuck out to me and since then, I've become a much stronger derby player because I'm training on the side. I also skate every day in one way or another. I love skating and I love derby! I'm thrilled that there are other derby girls on here!

princesspuffypants
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
hey Mamaspank

we had assessments a few weeks ago. my laps werent high enough and i was really sick so i didnt even go. i was bummed about it. but im back in fresh meat and doing better than ever. i just got a new skate setup. the 126 boot and the Suregrip DA45 invader plate short forward mounted. i love it.

i wouldnt worry about the attitudes in derby. a lot of it is because there is a high turnover. people think its like the movie and come try it out and its not for them, and its like a breakup when people leave sometimes. its hard to get close to people that are just going to bail. so they put up a wall and its gonna take a while to get through. or they are just jerks and you can take it out on the track. either way. lol.

i LOVE my league. they are the most amazingly supportive girls in the whole world. i wouldnt skate with anyone else.

is anyone doing the derbalife challenge?

jacinda79
04-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Roller derby is awesome! I've been playing for about a year now. Well... Off and on, I guess. I passed WFTDA evals in September last year, but then some life stuff happened and I had to walk away. When I decided to go back in early March, I went back to a different team and am amazingly happy with them. :)

Now I'm working on getting a team started in my own city... I currently drive about half an hour to get to practices.

My derby name is Nikki Trixx (you should go like me on facebook - teehee!) and I'm currently skating with the Barry County Black Heart Maidens. :cool: The team I'm trying to get started is in Battle Creek (where Kellogg's lives... you know, the cereal stuff?). We're thinking "Cereal Killers" for a name. LOL

So, skaters... What's your favorite position?

ArsenicAlyss
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...

TechnicolourTeacup
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I would love to try rollerderby, the nearest team to me are an almost two hour drive away from me though, which I can't really afford to drive twice a week :\

This thread has inspired me though, maybe I can find some more people nearby who want to start something up!

msdarkmetal
07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Congrats on getting on a derby team. I hope elitist type personalities aren't as bothersome anymore. Rollerderby is something that has always looked so fun, but I'm way to timid to do something like that. Plus I don't even know how to get started.

nikkinouille
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen :(

zRACHELz
11-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Roller derby is great exercise. i had been skating since 2007 but recently started working third shift and can no longer practice. Ive found that it really helped my depression...i can tell a big difference now that i'm not skating. It was a great mental and physical work out.. although i didnt lose any weight, i know i gained muscle and a lot of endurance.

zRACHELz
11-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I thought about getting into roller derby, as well. They have a league around here. My big concern is the cost. Is it expensive to get into? I am 23 & on my own. I have a bf but I am independent. I pay all my bills & don't have a whole lot of extra money to spare. So if it's costly, it ain't gonna happen :(

it is a tad pricey.. most leagues charge monthly dues. mine were $30 a month, plus $75 insurance (once a year), and all of your equipment...but its so much fun!

darlingbrit
11-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Way to go sista! Yer gonna do great! I have been fresh meat with the Ventura County Derby Darlins (California) since October 2010, and I'm taking basic skills for the second time tomorrow...so fingers crossed hehe : )

My screen name is also my derby name, Arsenic Alyss.

Fave position? Hmmm...I pretty much like doing everything except pivoting. I am a sucky pivot since I'm not quite up to snuff on strategy yet. But I love blocking, and I hope I'll be fast enough to be a jammer someday...

Hey, I live in ventura county too! I want to be part of the local derby team but I don't know how to skate! any suggestions to get me started so maybe I can try out next year? :]

DrSchlock
12-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I am an ex-roller girl! It's so wonderful to have a place to chat with others about what sn amazing experience roller derby is. I stopped about 2 years ago bit played on The Rushin' Rollettes for 3 seasons. (Milwaukee's Brewcity Bruisers). I went by Ivanna Smackdavitch at the time.

I am hoping that by losing weight I will have less joint pain and can return to derby. I have never worked out harder than when I was in derby. I hate that I don't play anymore and want to physically be able to again.

Good luck everyone in your training. It is such an amazing sport with so many wonderful women.

aware210
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I want to do roller derby next year! In fact i think i may put on my skates tomorrow morning and go workout a bit!

Amaranth
01-02-2012, 05:08 AM
YES!!! I am really excited to see a roller derby thread here!

I too am completely addicted to roller derby. My team actually had a holiday break for two weeks where we didnt *have* to go to practice, and I still opted to go! Crazy! Old me never would have even considered it :P

Im so excited for you girls talking about fresh meat. Roller derby will be the best thing to ever happen to you, I promise! The intensity of it can be daunting at first, but dont let it scare you off! Roller girls are (usually) the nicest, most supportive females around, and they all want you to succeed as much as you do!

Breasaurus
01-07-2012, 01:10 AM
YAY for derby girls! I've been with my team since May 2011 and it has been one of the most rewarding/frustrating experiences of my life lol. I'm a tank/blocker and absolutely adore my team.

@Amaranth - we had a 2 week break too, and i skated as much as possible anyway! Now we're holding a boot camp for new girls & its kicking my butt right along with theirs - and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Amaranth
01-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I think one of the most rewarding aspects of roller derby is now I WANT to commit to working out. I WANT to be a valued member of team. There are moments when I see my teammates and just feel really, really bad for the opposing team, and I want to be one of them.

It helps that even when you are having fun/suffering, you are building up riDICulous amounts of endurance. Its amazing what you can push your body to do.

Also, roller derby gives you a great ***. "Derby Booty" is an expression for a reason ;)

Breasaurus
01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Amen sister! We have our fresh meat bootcamp going on right now and those are some of the EXACT reasons I gave the newer girls for sticking with it.

hyper_piper
02-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for posting this! I'm a HUGE roller derby fan (albeit too out-of-shape and got too messed up of knee stabilizers to pull off being a rollergirl). This made me think of a great inspiration for me, seeing roller derby. I think I'm going to try to catch Assassination City's (shout out to DFW derby!) opener to remind me why I want to get fit!!

SuperRad
04-24-2012, 06:42 AM
AAHHH!! You have no idea how happy I am I just found this thread. I've been struggling with the whole big girl/roller derby thing for a few months now, but have finally decided to just do it! I'm a volunteer with LADD (I do their makeup) and have been to a few practices with the new SFV Roller Derby league. I feel like a tool when I can't keep up with the other girls, but I suppose it's all in due time. Any tips? My legs are currently jello from a league workout tonight.

Seriously... I'm so friggin' excited to talk with other girls, into derby and on the plus side of the world. *insert happy dance here*

redvelouria
05-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I love the idea - think I'll have to steal it from you and make it my reward for losing weight! I've seen local roller girls out there kicking @ss and always wished I could join. Why not??? I'm doin it!

Thedollylala
05-17-2012, 04:49 PM
I use to do derby, I miss it :( I hurt my knee, it's awesome someone here plays it :)

redvelouria
05-27-2012, 10:55 PM
And I've now started on my roller derby dream...I went to a local shop that sells roller gear, found out about a rink that offers skating classes to adults and am attending a MN rollergirls bout in a couple of weeks. I can't wait! Here's the links to the store, rink and roller girl's site for any other Minnesotan ladies interested in derby.

Store (http://www.roller-revolution.com/default.asp)
Rink (http://www.rollergarden.com/Lessons.htm)
MN Roller Girls (http://www.mnrollergirls.com/index.php)

Amaranth
05-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Hyper, I am not that much bigger than you! GET YOUR BOOTY ON THE TRACK!!! :)

Superrad, "it never gets easier, you just get better at it." It took me forever to "keep up" and even still my endurance is **** compared to those who are naturally good at it or worked at it harder and longer than I do. But most of the pain from squatting and skating will subside with time as your muscles get stronger. DERBY BOOTY IS WORTH THE PAIN ;)

Red, why wait! You dont have to be thin! If anything, roller derby will BEAT you into thinness! (okay, that isnt true, but it is one of the most intense work outs you will ever get, so it cant hurt!)

Spanks, bruises, and derby love ;)

redvelouria
06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to give a quick update and maybe get this thread going again :)

I've been practicing and got my own skates today, yay! Went to an adult skating class,fell down, got up and kept going. I'm hooked!

How's everyone else doing with their roller skating goals?

Miss LunaStar
06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey everyone! I'm so psyched to have found this thread, if not relieved! lol I have not so many people to talk derby to & dealing with the same derby issues...I wish there was a place that held adult skate lessons in my area. I'm having to teach myself and having a hard time finding a good place to practice..I'm too shy to go practice at a rink in my gear lol. I went to a practice once but don't wanna show up again until I can skate.. I shall totally hit up the park today. :)

tnc0712
07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
So, with this many derby girls in one place, which skates should I buy? I've been thinking about trying derby for sometime now, but I don't want to show up completely unable to balance on my skates, KWIM?

redvelouria
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
So, with this many derby girls in one place, which skates should I buy? I've been thinking about trying derby for sometime now, but I don't want to show up completely unable to balance on my skates, KWIM?

I went to a rink and rented their skates the first couple of times to make sure I wanted to do it. Then, I found a good shop that was just for roller derby. They had some great advice and let me try on (and skate around the store) in their skates. A good shop will let you skate in them and will tell you what to look for in the fit. Everyone's feet are different, but I'd recommend getting a complete package to start with. Buying the wheels, boots, plates and bearings individually is way more expensive, and when you're just starting out, you don't need very fancy skates anyways. You'll want to get wrist guards too! That's the most common injury when you're just starting out and learning to fall down.

Also make sure that they tighten the wheels so they're not so loose at first. For example, if you hold the skate and spin the wheel with your hand and it keeps spinning for a long time, it's pretty loose. If you ask them to tighten it, the wheel won't spin for more than 4-5 seconds. That makes it easier to learn how to skate at first, without falling on your butt every minute.

Anyways, here's a link to the skates I bought: Sure-grip skates (http://www.roller-revolution.com/Sure_Grip_Black_Rebel_Skate_Package_p/sgp-rbfug.htm)

Good luck, let us know how you're doing!

tnc0712
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
My problem is, our closest skate shop is 3 hours away, at least. But you do have a point. Why order expensive skates if I'm not certain I wanna do it. Thanks for the pointers!

sessa555
10-01-2012, 12:25 AM
The Riedell Dart and the Rock Flames are great beginner packages. As far as gear goes, I've been super happy with my Triple 8 knee, elbow and wrist guards.

Don't be shy about going to the rink in your gear. For one, you'll skate MUCH more confidently. Two, they are totally used to seeing skaters who skate for sport in whatever gear is required. Three, you'll look adorably derby! I always wear my cute socks, fun tights, skort and team T when I go to public skate sessions.

Medanalife
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey all!! Fresh meat from Florida here. Glad I found this thread! There's a recruitment on Monday for a team by me. I'm suuuuuper excited!! I used to own a pair of sure grips (stolen) so now I'm getting riedell vandals 265 with the wicked upgrade. I'm dedicating myself 10000000000% to this. I'm using derby as my exercise. 2 practices a week, plus I'll be doing my own skating whenever I can.

sessa555
12-13-2012, 03:59 AM
My skates are Reidell Vixens and I LOVE them. I have Flat-Out rollers - 88's in yellow - and just ordered China Red bearings (my laces and toe stops are red, as is the stitching on my Triple 8 gear and my helmet, so I'm going with the theme lol!). I have an insanely wide foot, and the Vixens do not have a metal or plastic strip on the side so I can make them work.

I am currently skating 4-5 days a week to try and pass my MSR's by February for our bout that month. I figured that with all the hardcore derby workouts I would drop weight like crazy, but I have not lost much at all. I have, however, dropped a size and a half and my body just looks and feels different in a good way!

Vanessa M.
04-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Am I too old to Derby? I'm 33. :-/

dehtripper
04-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Am I too old to Derby? I'm 33. :-/

Definitely not!!!!! I play with many many girls that age and older (some nearly 50).

I cannot express how excited I am this forum exists. It's encouraging to see a bunch of unique and intelligent ladies come together to talk about getting healthy (and at that have a specific thread about roller derby??!). Finding this community right as I'm joining the team is serendipitous, for sure.

I just started roller derby last week and I think it is going to be the most positive decision I've made in a good while. Great way to let out your frustration and aggression but still get those endorphins kickin'. And it gives me a reason to be kind and respectful to my body. I don't really know what the heck I'm doing but the derby chicks are super motivating and helpful.

Anyway, hello, and I'm glad I found y'all.

Congrats on making the jump to join! I didn't see there was a thread about derby but I'm glad to see it. I'm just starting my 3rd bouting season - joining was definitely one of the best decisions I've made. Now I'm looking forward to not just literally throwing my weight around on the track and becoming a proper powerhouse.

Squid Vicious
05-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I play for Penn Jersey Roller Derby in Philly. Banked track, co-ed. I LOVE it.

I use the Reidell R3's. They're decent beginner skates that run around 120. Roller Girl Skates has a great sizing guide on their website. My helmet is Triple 8, elbow and wrist guards a cheapies, and my knee pads are Protech.

The thing I REALLY want are new wheels, but they're expensive and I don't know exactly what I want.

As for skating at a rink, I now wear my kneepads religiously when I skate. Falling on your knees hurts a lot. If I'm just at an open skate I don't worry about any of my other gear, because I'm not blocking or racing. The knee pads are just in case I take an unexpected spill.

Derby is also my main form of exercise. We have practices 2-5 times a week, one of which is an open to the public derby workout that does work on and off skates.