Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Sabotaging yourself right before goals

I'm just not sure what's up with me. Lately my eating has NOT been good. Yesterday was by far the worst day so far. Breakfast was spot on, but I had a hamburger for lunch and pizza for dinner plus part of a bagel as a snack. I did eat much smaller portions sizes that I used to in the past and I added lots of veggies to the pizza/hamburger but still I KNEW I was making bad choices etc. But even the days before yesterday I just haven't been as on plan as I should be.

It wasn't really about planning ahead either. We were only home for 5 days (we fly out this afternoon). Plus we've been sick and we're packing for an international move so we've been non-stop busy (and feeling horrible). We knew we'd be eating out some right before we flew simply because we didn't want the kitchen full and wouldn't have time for meal prep. But I'm really disappointed in myself with my choices. I *think* it's in part because I'm about to reach my first mini-goal (Onderland). I'm extremely excited but part of me is... I don't know, I guess apprehensive with how much farther I have to go.

It just doesn't make sense why I'm doing this! Thankfully I haven't gained weight in the process but I'm maintaining when I should be trying to loose these last 2 lbs to get into onderland!!! I think part of the problem too is that exercise really helps to keep me on plan and since I'm still sick I've been waiting to do any cardio (I'm moving ALL THE TIME, though, because of all the packing/cleaning etc and I did about 10-15 minutes of weights yesterday but besides that I just don't feel ready for it yet).

I'm also worried about today since we'll have to eat for both lunch and dinner since we're going to pick up something at the airport before we fly.

Anybody else have this problem? How did you get your head back into it?

Last edited by runningfromfat; 12-20-2010 at 10:54 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I hope there's lots of good advice on this because this kind of thing is exactly what I do..... and I repeatedly cannot figure out why!
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I think you're being a little hard on yourself! A big international move that's taking place today/tomorrow is not an easy feat. I've done it myself and to be honest, my focus has been on making sure that everything is packed, travel documents are done, whatever is on the checklist is marked off, and that I'm ready to go.

I don't think this has to do with reaching your goal weight, I really do think it has to do with the fact that you're moving and you probably don't have an open kitchen (since I'm sure you've been packing it up) to make healthy meals.

In your shoes, I would focus on maintaining (making the best healthy options you can in a limited environment) and once you're in your new home, focus on trying to get those last two pounds off.

Maintaining is not a bad choice for now. It's just prep work for what's going to come down the line anyway.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I think you're being a little hard on yourself! A big international move that's taking place today/tomorrow is not an easy feat. I've done it myself and to be honest, my focus has been on making sure that everything is packed, travel documents are done, whatever is on the checklist is marked off, and that I'm ready to go.

I don't think this has to do with reaching your goal weight, I really do think it has to do with the fact that you're moving and you probably don't have an open kitchen (since I'm sure you've been packing it up) to make healthy meals.

In your shoes, I would focus on maintaining (making the best healthy options you can in a limited environment) and once you're in your new home, focus on trying to get those last two pounds off.

Maintaining is not a bad choice for now. It's just prep work for what's going to come down the line anyway.
Thanks, we're actually not moving until mid-Jan but we're going now for 2 weeks to visit my family over the holidays (basically we've been visiting everyone before we move, hence, all the travel + one trip where I defended my Ph.d thesis). Yeah, my goal has been to maintain, basically, but then I got really sick when we were traveling for me defense and ended up getting 2 pounds above my first goal so I decided to try and go for it. But, well, then with everything going on I just went crazy!

I do think part of it is emotional eating due to all the stress. When we ate out I know where we ordered I could've gotten something healthier and didn't so I guess I'm disappointed with myself because of that.

ETA: I did have DH tell DH to pick up a salad for me today for lunch so I'm trying to get back on track.

Oh, and flippychick sorry you go through this too.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 12-20-2010 at 12:41 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with Rana - you've got a lot to deal with right now. That doesn't mean you have to go off plan, but it can mean you alter your plan so that you maintain your weight.

That's what I did when I was moving to a new apartment. I had a vacation on week and then had to move the day I got back. It was right before I got out of the obese category (which was a major goal for me). I just stuck at about 181 lbs for a few weeks. I didn't lose, but I also didn't gain.

If you're not gaining, you sound like you're doing alright. I don't know what your regular plan is, but maybe using portion control for regular foods might be the thing to do right now?

Anyway, good luck with the move!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

i sabotage myself almost like clockwork before goals, always before a goal to get me into the next lower ten's (ie, 230's to 220's). It's frustrating. wish i could figure it out!

fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

You're not alone!

Stress and being busy translates to "eating sloppy" for a majority of us, I think.

In my case I just overeat on weekends. I have a friend who, just like me, has recently lost a lot of weight but LOOOOVES eating and we trigger each other so badly, it's like seeing her is my license to eat everything in the room. We both eat clean(ish) and exercise regularly during the week but it's just enough so that we don't lose (well, she's happy maintaining...). I've "settled" at this weight but I know in my heart of hearts I would like to lose more. I doubt it will happen on my vacation to sausageland or on my birthday or Christmas, all of which are happening within a week.

Excuses, there are always excuses.

One tip, you could BYO airport food. Also, good luck with the move.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Where are you moving to? Maybe we will be neighbors!

I agree with the others - focus on maintaining and getting in exercise to reduce stress. Try to eat whole foods, because, as we all know, it is quite easy to be super hungry 1 hour after you've chowed down on a hamburger or pizza.

Also, I'd suggest really looking at removing superfluous calories from your food. For example: no cheese, no mayo. I order pizzas loaded with veggies on thin crust, but with no cheese. It is amazingly good and you have just saved tons of fatty/greasy calories. Omit the butter, cream, etc.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #9  
chick on a mission.

S/C/G: 163/159/140

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Running,

I feel your pain. I only have 2lbs left to go before I hit goal, but for the past three weeks its as if someone flipped a switch inside me - I CAN'T stop eating. I KNOW I'm making bad choices, yet I still keep doing it.

I need to figure out why I'm doing it. Hopefully you'll settle back down after your move!
Charmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #10  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Seeing the 120s on the scale really excited me, but it kind of freaked me out too. Kind of. I've only seen the 120s once because of self sabotage. It's tough.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/285/150

i've been the same with ordering large stuffed crust pizza's in the past. Now i'm trying to do the best i can to just get pizza out of my mind. And if i DO have a craving for it, i'll just order the personal size one with veggies and whatnot.
firefoxsilver9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I don't really understand sabatoging yourself b/c you are about to make a goal. Being close to a goal motivates me to work harder...

I agree with so many above that pointed out how busy you are and the holidays... that's what I would attribute it too. Also, you mentioned being sick... that can create a desire for comfort food like hamburgers and pizza. There just isn't much comfort in salads.

try to remember why you are doing this... feeling better? looking better? and try to think of how you felt when you were 240... you've lost almost 40 pounds... go to the grocery store and pick up 4 10 pound bags of sugar... that is a lot of weight... don't you want to lose more?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #13  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Sigh...this sounds a lot like me. I was at 191 in August and was so excited to be so close to the 180s, and then I pigged out when my sister-in-law was in (knowing that it wasn't helping me at all) and gained 7 pounds in August. I knew the whole time I was pigging out that I was hurting myself, and I was messing up the goal I was working so hard toward...but I didn't care.

My self-sabotaging comes from something emotional and I'm not sure what it is. I think I deserve "good" but not the "best"...not sure why...wish I could figure it out. Best of luck to you...you are not alone in this crazy world of self-sabotaging!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5

change is scary. And goal posts are scary. If you really think it's hitting the goal that is holding you back it's an easy thing to fix. Don't weigh yourself for a couple weeks.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

What plan are you on? can you go back to basic with it? Start counting calories or points, or what have you.

Also, going from eating what you want to having a salad reinforces the idea that you are on a "diet" rather than choosing a different way of eating for the rest of your life.

A salad can be healthy and filling or not, depending on what you put on it.

I would be more inclined to make a full good meal with whole grains and lean protein, to send the message to my body and my brain that we can be happy and full of yummy food while still losing weight.

For instance my dinner tonight was 4 oz sauteed chicken, mushrooms, capers with 1/3 cup milk with a little cornstarch to make a sauce, served with 2/3 cup brown rice. It was 400 calories, made a nice big serving (I used a ton of mushrooms) and most of all was flavorful and healthful.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote