Old 12-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Anyone else with PCOS?

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple years ago. The doctor gave me a RX for Glucophage (metformin) at that time. I tried to take it, but the side effects were AWFUL . Just wondering if anyone else has gotten through the side effects, and if it helped you with your weight loss efforts? The doctor says it should help, but I just have a hard time actually taking it!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I don't have PCOS, but my little sister does. She was given the same medication.

She took it, and she actually did lose some weight when she was taking it. As she explained it to me, PCOS means that her body was converting most of what she was eating into sugar, hence why she was gaining weight, and the medication at least slowed the process.

She took the meds, but I remember she just had to be very careful. She couldn't drink alcohol while taking it or she got very ill, and she had to actually eat on a regular schedule, and be careful of what she ate, or she got nauseous.

If you have specific questions, I can ask her.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  

Thanks Stella! The biggest thing for me is the meds give me (tmi!!) horrendous gas and major diarhhea. To the point that its unbearable. I can't take it at work as I would spend my whole day making a million trips to the bathroom. I took it for a week or two back then, as they say it takes a week or so for the side effects to go away. I am just wondering if there comes a point when they actually go away! For me, it never let up, and I just quit taking it!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've heard that the Extended Release is much better as far as gastro-related side effects go. In fact, I wonder why more doctors don't just prescribe that because so many people can't take regular met.

I have pcos, but no insulin resistance so my doctor will not put me on met.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #5  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Jaimie - I didn't know this about you. You have come SO far. I am so sorry to hear of you having PCOS! One of the girls that I'm closest with in BC has it as well and she takes the same medicine you were given. She didn't tell me about any of the side effects but I do feel for her. Thus far she has lost almost 80lbs but she has stayed steady on the medication.

How long did you try the meds before giving them up? Is there an adjustment period? Ya know, like 1-3months? I'm so sorry girl! Ohh I see you say a week or so. Maybe after the holiday you can try again? You are doing SO great. iF there is nothing else the doc can prescribe for you, ya gotta try again! You are STRONG and resilient!! Remember that!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #6  

Thanks Kriz! I think I am going to give it another try. People with PCOS have a harder time losing weight due to hormonal issues, and we are supposed to stay away from carbs as they are converted into sugars more readily than someone without it. I have the RX in my cupboard, but I am going to have to try to find a way to start it again. I wonder if it will help me. My body has gotten so stubborn one I got below 190- maybe thats the boost I need.

Jen, thanks for the input. I don't think my RX is the XR type. I will have to look into that. I have also heard to take all the pills at once at bed time. But it seems counterproductive to take them all at one time, so I suppose I should check with the doc on that. I do have insulin resistance. I wonder though since I have lost a good amount of weight since they prescribed it if I still have the IR. Another thing to check into I guess!