General Diet Plans and Questions - What do you eat for breakfast ?

View Full Version : What do you eat for breakfast ?

2feelbetter
12-19-2010, 08:22 AM
For breakfast I use to eat sausage egg biscuits or croissants. Then I decided
to try special K. Well that seems to be working I don't put any sugar on it occasionaly I'll add fruit.

Well one day I was watching Dr oz maybe it was the segment about just lose 10
(I have one of those just 10 bracelets) and one of his statements was don't eat anything with sugar in the first 5 ingredients and to stay away from breakfast cereal. I thought special K was a good breakfast food and then I looked at the box. Sugar was the 3 or forth ingredient.

Oh woe is me.

So, what do you eat for breakfast?

seagirl
12-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Oatmeal made with a little less water and 1/4 cup canned pumpkin. Then I sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on it, 1 tsp maple syrup & a tsp butter. So tasty and fills me up for the whole morning!

Jonesie
12-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I eat an activia light with half a banana. It tastes like banana pudding. No kidding. I never looked at the sugar in it though, honestly. Its low cal and tastes good so in my mouth it goes.

joyfulloser
12-19-2010, 09:35 AM
It's 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked with 1/4 cup raisans, 2 tsp brown sugar, and a pinch of salt! It's only 300 calories, give you the warm fuzzies..and taste great!

Hmmm...gotta try the pumpkin recipe...thanks seagirl!

joyfulloser
12-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Also add...whole grain 200 cal bagel with 90 cals.. of almond butter

sweet potato pancakes w/turkey sausage

pumpkin protein pancakes!!!

I can't eat eggs for breakfast, but if you can, that's also a great way to start your day...just make sure your sausage is turkey!:D

krampus
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I have a few "standard" breakfasts.

-89 calorie yogurt with coffee
-250 calorie bran flakes with milk
-196 calorie bagel sandwich from 7-11

mkendrick
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Yep, before I was counting calories or actually organized about any of this effort, I ate breakfast cereal. I figured if it was "healthy cereal" and not Cinnamon Toast Crunch or something, it was free game. Eating three bowls of it every morning wasn't helping me lose anything, haha. Once I figured out that I actually needed to pay attention to serving sizes (surprise surprise!), I found that an appropriate serving size of breakfast cereal isn't nearly satisfying or filling enough. A handful of sugary flakes is not going to last me for several hours.

I don't eat breakfast, but I do love breakfast foods. (I have never been able to force myself to eat in the morning. Anything before noon makes me feel sluggish and gross for the rest of the day). I stole seagirl's pumpkin oatmeal idea a few months ago, haha. I do 3/4 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup pure pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and a Splenda packet or two. Deeelicious for about 300 cal. I also do 3/4 cup oats with 1/2 Light n' Fit yogurt. It makes it creamy and sweet and fruity, again for about 300 cal.

Saute any veggies you have lying around and maybe some leftover meat or lunch meat slices (I usually use tomato, onion, and turkey slices), then scramble them with some egg whites (I use Egg Beaters for convenience). Top the scrambled eggs and veggies over a couple slices of 35-cal bread. I'll even drizzle it with sugarfree maple syrup. So much protein, and feels like country-cookin comfort food.

terrod99
12-19-2010, 10:06 AM
If I have oatmeal I find I'm hungry thinking about food all morning if I have eggs (fresh from a local farm) then I'm full and hardly think about eating until lunch.

Terri

coffeebean267
12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
-scrambled eggs (1 whole egg + 1 egg white)
-toast with laughing cow cheese wedge spread on top (the queso and chipotle variety)
-black coffee

4 points on the old WW plan, plus I get my whole grains and protein first thing in the morning!

labellavita
12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
i try to eat all my breads, if any, etc. in the mornings. preferably a big meal to start the day, and then taper off with lighter foods.
just now, for breakfast:

1/4c "southwestern" egg beaters, scrambled and sandwhiched with 2 slices of sesame ezekiel toast.
3tbsp horizon organic cottage cheese
a handful of raw, whole almonds
a 30cal can of v8
2 bottles of water.

i don't really get bored with it. it's just my every day kind of thing and only takes a minute. occasionally will add in a banana or apple, omit the v8, or swap out the cottage cheese for some greek yogurt.

nelie
12-19-2010, 10:53 AM
It is difficult for me to find something I'm willing to eat in the morning, even if I'm hungry.

Lately though I've been eating chia seeds soaked in almond milk. I'll add whatever I feel like to it, which has been walnuts, raisins and cinnamon lately. I can eat it cold or warm. I can also throw pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree in it.

cheryl126
12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Another vote from the oatmeal fan club over here...not the instant kind either, real oats without all of the added sugar. I use 1/2 oats, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 5-10 raw almonds (can you tell I like almonds, lol), and 1/2-1 banana cut up. I usually throw a little cinnamon in there too. It ends up being around 300 calories and keeps me filled up until lunch.

I love love love cereal, but I'm always hungry a little while later and it makes me want to just eat more. Seriously, I could eat cereal all day. Actually, I used to do just that when I was a kid/teen. My family still jokes about it! That probably has something to do with why I was at my highest weight when I lived at home.

Eggs also keep me filled up for a long time, but I always pack my breakfast/lunch and they're just not as easy to transport. However, when I'm at home though, I love to make egg scrambles with black beans, salsa, jalapenos, and a little avocado if I'm lucky.

darway
12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Like mkendrick, I quit using corporate mass market cereal because I'd eat 3 bowls of it! :ink: Plus eat it after dinner as a "healthy" snack. (Yeah, right.) It's just an excuse for empty calories and glucose spikes.

cheryl126
12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Lately though I've been eating chia seeds soaked in almond milk. I'll add whatever I feel like to it, which has been walnuts, raisins and cinnamon lately. I can eat it cold or warm. I can also throw pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree in it.

Did you read Born to Run? I just got a 2lb bag of chia seeds in the mail that may have been a direct result of reading that book, lol!

spixiet
12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I do eat cereal nearly everyday, but I closely measure portion sizes, and I choose higher protein cereals - I usually mix 1 serving of Special K Protein Plus with 1 small ("calorie watchers") serving of Kashi Go Lean (total 210 cals). I then add 1 cup unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze with a bit of Splenda and some cinnamon. Looking at my diet, this is the closest I come to Frankenfood, but it keeps me full and is quick to prepare...oh yeah, and I like it :D

Cals: 255
Fat: 7g
Carb: 39g
Fiber: 14g
Sugar: 7g
Protein: 22g

Sometimes I make a mix of plain oatmeal with cinnamon, splenda, frozen sour cherries, and Almond Breeze (usually weekends)...sprinkled with some chia seeds on top -

Cals: 225
Fat: 7g
Carb: 36g
Fiber: 8g
Sugar: 9g
Protein: 7g

If eggs sound good (which is rare for me), I make an omelet with 2 eggs, 1 egg white, and a couple tablespoons each of sharp cheddar, lean ham, green pepper, and onion.

Cals: 235
Fat: 15g
Carb: 3g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 2g
Protein: 23g

This is obviously the lowest in sugars, but it's just not appealing most days -

CanadianCutie
12-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Breakfast for me varies, but always includes either coffee or, less often, tea. I usually will have oatmeal (store brand instant), or when the man is off work, or has a late shift I'll make us english muffin (or whole wheat toast) 1 egg, and two slices of bacon as a sandwich, no butter added, bacon patted to take off some excess grease. Then theres the days I don't want breakfast type things, I'll have fruit, or left over pasta, or even soup.

Aclai4067
12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
My usual is an english muffin with 1 egg and 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese (the 2% milk kind). Occasionally I'll have a bagel with cream cheese. Bagels are a lot of calories and carbs, but I consider them worth it on occassion because I really enjoy them and they keep me full for a long time. Cereal leaves me ravenous all day.

KatVee
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
My usual breakfast includes coffee, 2 eggs (1 whole egg, 1 egg white) with tons of spinach mixed in and two slices of bacon. It comes out to around 225 calories. Sometimes I make my version of an egg mcmuffin with a whole wheat english muffin, canadian bacon, and one egg white.

Jen516
12-19-2010, 12:01 PM
English Muffin, toasted, with deli ham, cheddar cheese, and a slice of apple (My absolute fav, I <3 this more than McDonald's Sausage Biscuits now. And I LOOOOVED those! :D ).

Oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar, almonds and dried apricots (raisin are good too). The almonds give a bit of protein.

Yogurt with frozen berries, a bit of vanilla granola, and almonds.

Protein Bagel with Peanut butter or Almond butter.

And an odd one: I take a hard-boiled egg and mash it up small with a fork (i don't really like the whites too much, this distributes the yolk really well), then I add some mustard and put it on toast or a bagel thin. I add tomato slices if i have them. I know the mustard-only thing is weird, but I hate mayo.

cheryl126
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
And an odd one: I take a hard-boiled egg and mash it up small with a fork (i don't really like the whites too much, this distributes the yolk really well), then I add some mustard and put it on toast or a bagel thin. I add tomato slices if i have them. I know the mustard-only thing is weird, but I hate mayo.

I make a sort of modified deviled egg using only mustard (a smaller amount though) because I don't like mayo either. Whew, glad to know I'm not alone, lol!

JOLINA
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I eat 2 small pancakes with syrup. And I have 8 ounces of whole milk.
My pancakes have a lot of eggs and apricot sauce.
I have an apricot tree that yielded 200lbs of apricots last year.
So I have enough frozen apricot sauce to last a couple of years.
I make a huge batch of pancakes and freeze them.
It's an easy and fast way to make my breakfast.

walking2lose
12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
So far just coffee today.

nelie
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Did you read Born to Run? I just got a 2lb bag of chia seeds in the mail that may have been a direct result of reading that book, lol!

No, I've heard it is a good book and have been wanting to read it. I'll put it on my book list :)

2feelbetter
12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Hmmm seems like my breakfast isn't as bad as I thought. I eat one cup of special K with 2 percent milk and a cup of coffee with flavored cream.

iiholly
12-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't like breakfast food all that much most of the time. Today me and friends went out to a thai restaurant. They'd spent the night and we wanted to do something mellow in town. Got sushi rolls and vegetable lemon grass soup (which is DIVINE). I try not to eat out too much but it is fun to do with friends and not just to all "I'm lazy I don't want to cook."

Otherwise, I'll usually have soup or a sandwich. If I'm on a breakfast kick usually some fruit and two eggs with toast.

I'm not much on counting calories. I KNOW it is a great way to manage. I was raised by a health nut who lost a lot of weight and gained it back later. For me I know when I'm being bad and I try to only do it once or twice a week. The rest of the week I modify the amount of food I eat to the amount of activity I do.

Transporter
12-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Whey protein shake

ringmaster
12-20-2010, 02:12 AM
a slice of Ezekiel bread with some almond butter or oatmeal and whey or a whey protein shake

Jane
12-20-2010, 07:01 AM
One tablespoon of peanut butter on whole wheat bread. I like to dunk it in my coffee. :o

RoseRodent
12-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Something with only a few ingredients in total could have sugar listed as the second ingredient even if it's a tiny amount, yet something with sugars add the eighth could have three times the sugar. If I take a pot of plain yoghurt and add half a spoon of sugar (I don't) that is still better than many other food. It's useful for many beginners at nutrition to have simple rules, but they should be quickly replaced with more detailed considerations.

Rana
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Breakfast #1:

Kashi Go Lean Berries Cereal (190 calories for 1 serving)
Rice Milk (120 for 1 serving)
Fruit (apple usually, depends on what is in season) (90 calories)
Chobani Greek Yogurt (140 calories)
Green Tea (no sugar or milk or any sweetener, I like it plain)

I eat on this throughout the morning (so it also includes my snack)

Breakfast #2

2 scrambled eggs (olive oil, diced tomato, diced onions) (160 for the eggs, 20 for the vegs, and 60 calories for 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil)

Chobani Greek Yogurt (140 calories) or Fruit (90 calories usually)

Water, rather than tea

I don't eat as much with the eggs because they keep me full.

KenzideRhae
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I like to eat cold cereal every now and then, but I usually pair one serving of it with some fruit and/or some sort of protein, depending on how the calories work out.

I always have coffee + stevia + unsweetened Almond Breeze.

Most mornings I eat oatmeal, 1/2-3/4 c, mixed with Greek yoghurt, banana, raisins, dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds, or canned pumpkin, then one packet of stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Comes out to 300-400 calories, depending on the exact blend.

I also like making omelettes or scrambled eggs (depends on how well I flip it that morning ;)) with three egg whites + spinach + tomato + 1 tsp olive oil. Then I usually top it with some brown mustard, comes out to 116 calories. Then I pair it with some strawberries, an orange, or a banana.

I don't like eating the same things all the time, but those are the two most frequent as of late. Morningstar Farms products, sweet potato hashbrowns, Greek yoghurt + honey or fruit, and whole wheat pancakes are other things I eat.

joyc21
12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a few standard breakfasts:

-1/2 c. oats, 1/4 c. raisins, 2 tbsp. walnuts, cinnamon.
- 1 hard-boiled egg + 2 hard-boiled egg whites; 1 apple or grapefruit
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with peppers, onions, tomatoes, & 2 slices of turkey bacon
- whole wheat sandwich thins, 2 tbsp. peanut butter, 1/2 banana