100 lb. Club - How do you handle Movie Theater?

View Full Version : How do you handle Movie Theater?

PinkHoodie
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I LOVE popcorn at the Movie Theater. I love going to the theater. What are some tricks you use there? All I want when I go is a big greasy vat of popcorn and a huge drink...its hard because so many theaters are cracking down on outside food. I wish I could take my Pepsi max in with me. :P So if anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

pointspluspioneer
12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I microwave my lowfat popcorn at home and bring a water. I stick it all in my pocket book. Last time i went, i took in a huge low calorie hot chocolate in my pocketbook lol!!

matt_H
12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I bring in bottled diet soda in my bookbag. I just sneak it in. Movie popcorn is so ridiculously bad for you. Its really shocking the amount of calories and fat is in it.

Heather
12-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I usually just take a small snack from home!

CanadianCutie
12-17-2010, 11:27 PM
If I'm really feeling the urge for the popcorn I'll skip the meal closest to the time I'm going to movies, and have a small unbuttered popcorn (it's greasy enough that you don't even miss the topping). More often than not I'll bring something from home or get something at the store before the movies, and stick it in my purse.

DhaniCauldwell
12-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I bring my own popped popcorn (low-calorie kind) and a bottle of water. If you bring it in a bag no one will say anything. I've never been searched! : )

-Dhani

ubergirl
12-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I used to get the small unbuttered popcorn until I actually looked up the calories-- movie theater popcorn is AWFUL.

I don't eat at the theater at all.

Transporter
12-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I believe in moderation.. I tend to eat popcorn very slowly during the commercials and usually dont eat anymore once the movie starts, and i get a diet soda.

Trazey34
12-18-2010, 01:51 AM
i've always hated movie popcorn,it's WET! and eating crunchy food in a crowded theatre always seemed so rude for some reason LOL I love that theatres are more 'cosmopolitan' now and offer a lot more stuff - I'm boring cuz I'm a big fan of getting a hot tea, it molten hot at the beginning so it's half a movie nursing it along at least.

vdander24
12-18-2010, 03:16 AM
I would love to say I bring my own popcorn and drinks, and eat perfectly. The sad truth is that I LOVE the popcorn there, even though I know it is horrible.

The last movie I went to was Harry Potter, and I got a kids pack. (no, I did NOT take any children with me) Most important for me is the price.
A kids pack has popcorn, a 12oz drink (cup) and a candy of choice for anywhere from 5.50-7.00 depending on the candy. I left the popcorn unbuttered, filled the 12oz cup with lemonade and water, and got a candy my sister wanted to eat.

It really is the best bargain in the place. The popcorn portion is more reasonable. On a positive note, I have not been to the movies since June (other than Harry Potter), so this really hasn't been an issue.

I would say, if you are going to splurge, check out the kids option.

seagirl
12-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Try getting out of the habit of mindlessly eating for 2 straight hours. You aren't going to starve during a movie, you aren't paying attention to your food during it so why bother?

Watch the movie without food, and then go have a meal that you can pay attention to.

You can want the popcorn and love the soda but it doesn't mean that you actually have to buy and consume them.

Part of the journey to health is changing behaviors that got us here in the first place!

EvilGidget
12-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Eat your meal before you go to the movies so you won't be hungry, and take snacks from home in your purse... I've been known to take everything except my wallet out of my purse so I could fit in drinks and snacks lol. No one has ever said anything to me.

The popcorn isn't hard for me to pass up ... it's greasy and gets in my teeth :D

lauralyn
12-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Try getting out of the habit of mindlessly eating for 2 straight hours. You aren't going to starve during a movie, you aren't paying attention to your food during it so why bother?

Watch the movie without food, and then go have a meal that you can pay attention to.

You can want the popcorn and love the soda but it doesn't mean that you actually have to buy and consume them.

Part of the journey to health is changing behaviors that got us here in the first place!

I love this!

Shmead
12-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I am so glad I have cheap parents. The idea that you HAVE to eat during a movie is really bizarre to me. We never, ever bought movie concessions because they are so over priced--the movie itself was a huge splurge. Three hours without eating is not the end of the world, and like any bad habit, it only takes three times to go from seeming weird not to buy food to seeming normal (of course, it only takes buying food three times for that to become the new normal).

I would never sneak food into a theater because I would be so humiliated if I were caught and told to throw it away. I'd want to die and and I would blush for days. But I am very rule-oriented.

Eliana
12-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I microwave my lowfat popcorn at home and bring a water. I stick it all in my pocket book. Last time i went, i took in a huge low calorie hot chocolate in my pocketbook lol!!

"Pocketbook". :D Are you from upstate NY? That's what I've always referred to it as but have switched finally to "purse" because everyone around here made fun of me just once too often. :rofl: I think it's like the pop/soda thing.

I do this too, though Pink, I hear you saying they're cracking down on that. In winter coats are great. My coats always have enormous pockets that hold water and a bag of popcorn.

nelie
12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe I'm odd but I don't like eating during a movie and never really did. I'm not sure but maybe see if you can disassociate movie theaters with food? If you go and watch a movie without eating popcorn, what is it like?

KatMarie
12-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Last time I went, I took along some string cheese and asked them for a complimentary water. It was nice not to spend the $20 for junk food. But, my friend had a big ol' tub of popcorn and it bothered me a little smelling it the whole time.

DixC Chix
12-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I am a frequent movie goer with friends who do like to eat all that stuff. In the beginning, I tried to go with the pretzels and cheese dip since I could control the amount of added cheese and fat. But now the frugal side of me said YIKES - that's $20 for one movie trip. So I started to bring my own water and regular pretzels. Then it was water and fruit. Now it is just water and I chew SF gum. My friends usually bring in stuff in their purses.

Maybe this will help you not like the movie house popcorn so much: I used to work in a movie theatre and the popcorn is sometimes weeks old. We popped a bunch, put it in huge bags and stored them in a closet. Then we put in the case to be warmed. They are hoping you add the extra yellow colored liquid fat to drown out the stale taste. Blech!

Glory87
12-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm way too cheap for movie theater popcorn, I have never gotten it. I used to always bring a snack to a movie (usually dried mango or some such) but I worked hard to banish the idea that just because I'm watching a movie, I get to eat something. If the movie falls during my normal snack time, okay, otherwise, no snack.

KatMarie
12-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Maybe this will help you not like the movie house popcorn so much: I used to work in a movie theatre and the popcorn is sometimes weeks old. We popped a bunch, put it in huge bags and stored them in a closet. Then we put in the case to be warmed. They are hoping you add the extra yellow colored liquid fat to drown out the stale taste. Blech!

GAG! No wonder sometimes the popcorn would have a moldy flavor!

PaulaM
12-18-2010, 01:59 PM
A giant purse hides a lot of snacks from home LOL

zizania
12-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Count me in as another person who just doesn't eat anything. Getting out of the house and going to a movie is the treat. I think this way even when I'm not trying to lose weight, probably because I'm cheap :)

If you try this, you will be extra aware of the noise of like 200 people eating popcorn during the ads and previews, which completely creeps me out, but I suppose could tempt some people.

sept15lija
12-18-2010, 04:47 PM
zizania - I agree, getting to go to a movie is a major treat for me! haha

I just don't eat anymore - and I was one who would get the large drink (albeit diet) and a huge bag of m&m's. My "healthy" choice would be a chocolate yogurt with reese's pieces. Now instead I focus on the movie and I find I don't even miss it!

Arctic Mama
12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I just refuse to plop down ten bucks for a drink and some exploded corn kernels.

I'd probably sneaking my own stovetop kettle corn from home if I really had the urge, but honestly I don't need to eat while watching a movie.

A good trick I like it also to go on a dinner date and then the movie, so vie just eaten before hitting the theatre and am not hungry :)

shannonmb
12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a really hard time not snacking at the movies, too. Luckily I don't go too often, but when my daughter was on summer break we were going at least every couple weeks. A few times I went in with the intention of not eating anything, but I would be overcome by the urge to grab just one handful of my daughter's popcorn from her kid,s pack. Then I'd be even MORE squirmy about not having any MORE, and it really did distract me from the movie. So I started bringing my own little baggie of air popped corn with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. That did the trick. I'm definitely bringing some when I go see Marky Mark (LOVE HIM) in The Fighter next week! :carrot:

graycyn
12-18-2010, 09:51 PM
The smell of movie popcorn kind of makes me sick. I have eaten it like once or twice in the last twenty years and only because I'd skipped a meal and was really hungry. I've just never been in the habit of eating at the movies I guess.

My advice is to stop thinking that you need to eat while watching a movie. Eat a meal before going so you won't be hungry. Or even a snack. That's what hubby and I do. It's what, usually 3 hours at most?

Or, think of what other things you could apply the money you save to. Maybe new clothes, fitness gear, whatever floats your boat.

ParadiseFalls
12-18-2010, 10:18 PM
I love theater popcorn. It ruins the movie if I don't have it (which is pretty pathetic, but there it is), so I use it as a meal replacement and don't get butter. I bring popcorn salt and use that, and I don't miss the butter at all. I know skipping a meal for popcorn isn't the best thing nutritionally, but I only go to the movies every few weeks at the maximum.

midwife
12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm definitely bringing some when I go see Marky Mark (LOVE HIM) in The Fighter next week! :carrot:

:hyper::dancer::high:

MrsD2008
12-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Where are you located? I live in Maine, so the Drive-In theater is only open May-September, but it's worth it! We only go to the movies during those months. It's cheaper, we're seeing a double feature and we bring our own dinner/snacks! Where we go it's $15 for two people, so that's all we spend! I make a picnic dinner and we bring our own snacks from home. We only bring food because we get there early (around dinner time) for a good spot and then make a picnic date out of it. Some people only go for the second movie (although it's still the same price), so then you could forgo food altogether.

I agree with the user who said that our weight loss journeys are all about changing habits! Keep this in mind! And, if you do need something in your mouth, try the water and sugar free gum trick!

Smiling_Sara
12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
I sometimes try and sneak in a bag of grapes. Theaters around here have yet to check my purse.

krampus
12-19-2010, 07:38 AM
I go to the movies about twice a year. When I do go, I usually don't get anything. Never got in the habit. I do recall polishing off a 900 calorie bag of chocolates when I saw "The Passion of the Christ" a few years back...ouch.

timkerbelle
12-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't eat or drink. I watch the movie. Simples

lauralyn
12-19-2010, 08:21 AM
MrsD2008~ Where are you in Maine? The only drive-in I know of in Maine is about 5 minutes away from me in Saco.

Drew C
12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't go often, but when I do I just buy what I want when i'm there. Than the next day I hop back on the wagon lol.

moon safari
12-20-2010, 03:20 AM
I go to the movies about twice a year. When I do go, I usually don't get anything. Never got in the habit. I do recall polishing off a 900 calorie bag of chocolates when I saw "The Passion of the Christ" a few years back...ouch.

I don't blame you, that movie was pretty traumatic. I'm sure there was some major stress eating in that theatre anyway, lol.

I go to the movies at LEAST once a week and I used to get popcorn and m&ms (I love salty+sweet). I got so into the habit of eating during the movie that I have to have SOMETHING while I'm in the theatre.
Instead of food, I generally get a large diet pop. I'm not a fan of pop itself but I find that sucking on the ice fills that "doing something with my mouth" requirement.

synger
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I am so glad I have cheap parents. The idea that you HAVE to eat during a movie is really bizarre to me. We never, ever bought movie concessions because they are so over priced--the movie itself was a huge splurge. Three hours without eating is not the end of the world, and like any bad habit, it only takes three times to go from seeming weird not to buy food to seeming normal (of course, it only takes buying food three times for that to become the new normal).

I would never sneak food into a theater because I would be so humiliated if I were caught and told to throw it away. I'd want to die and and I would blush for days. But I am very rule-oriented.

My parents never bought movie popcorn or soda because it was so overpriced, and when I went to movies as a teen I didn't have the money for the extra.

But my husband ALWAYS gets popcorn. It's part of the movie-going experience for him. Over the years, I've fallen into his habit.

But lately I make sure I've eaten something protein-and-fat-filled before I go, and I don't have much craving for the popcorn. Sometimes I'll work a serving into my plan for the day, but I absolutely need to make sure I don't eat it on an empty stomach (or my blood sugar will spike and then crash a few hours later). Sometimes it's just more trouble than it's worth, so I don't bother.

PinkHoodie
12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Thank you all SO much for your comments/suggestions. We were huge popcorn eaters at my house, all growing up. So I think in some ways it is a comfort food for me because it reminds me of home. BUT. I know that the popcorn is so unhealthy at theaters. I think next time I will try to sneak in my own stuff. I thought about shelling some pistachios because I love them they are a treat for me and kind of crunchy like popcorn. So I have some ideas, thanks soooo much! :D

shellsbrood
12-20-2010, 05:16 PM
MrsD2008~ Where are you in Maine? The only drive-in I know of in Maine is about 5 minutes away from me in Saco.

There's also a Twin Drive-In Theater in Bridgton, ME. I've been there a few times. :D

Pacifica Bee
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I looove crunching on stuff at the movies, but everything is pretty much off limits for me at the theater. I buy a diet soda, and I bring with me a baggie of baby carrots, celery, and snap peas (when they are in season). I once also brought in freeze dried fruits that are available in some health food stores. This way I get the satisfaction of the treats, and I don't screw up my plan.