100 lb. Club - Exercise break followed by calorie cycling

Eliana
12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I am starting a thread to track my progress as I try to break this lovely plateau of mine. I've lost about 1-2 pounds since October. :rolleyes: I can't say "I've tried everything" until I've actually tried everything. LOL!

Under the advice of some very wise 3FCers, I have been planning an exercise break. Today was my last day of exercise for two weeks. :D I may do some yoga...and light walking. I'm not going to be a slug. But I am not going to do strength training, running or spinning for a solid two weeks.

Following that, I will be hitting the trails again just in time for the new year. Perfect timing. I plan to calorie count meticulously and do some calorie cycling including some "re-feeds" with complex carbs to maybe get my metabolism back up again.

I'm going to keep up with this thread to let you all know how it goes and get some moral support. Honestly, it's going to be hard! I'm quite scared! I can't fathom not exercising at this point. One, I love it! Two, it's just so ingrained. Three...the scale. I know it's going to go up.

And then once the calorie cycling starts...well gosh, how. Where's my personal chef and automatic calorie counter? :dizzy: LOL!

I'm going to track through March for my amusement and am going to start tracking my daily weights HERE instead of in the daily weighing thread so I will keep this thread active. I have a tendency to start threads like this but they die because they fall out of my current threads in my user CP. This one I really want to keep up with.

So, without further ado:

December:
17: 157.2 (Last day of exercise)
18: 157.8
19: 154.8
20: 155.6 (PF Chang's last night)
21: 155.8 (under terrible stress which may throw this whole experiment. :( )
22: 154.8
23: 153.6
24: 153.4 (Re-feed day)
25: 153.4 (Re-feed day)
26: 154.6
27: 156.8
28: 156.4
29: 157.0 (Couldn't take it...went back to the gym)
30: 156.8
31: 157.8

January:
1: 157.6
2: 155.8
3: 155.0
4: 154.6
5: 155.4 (TOM blip...has to be)
6: 156.6 (pppt)
7: 156.4
8: 156.0
9: 155.2
10: 154.4
11: 153.6 :carrot:
12: 154.2 (re-feed day)
13: 154.2
14: 154.2
15: 153.6
16: 153.0
17: 152.2 :carrot:
18: 151.0
19: 151.2
20: 151.2
21: 151.6
22: 152.2
23: 151.2
24: 151.6
25: 152.2
26: 151.6
27: 152.4 (Really thought I'd lose today. :dunno:)
28: 151.8
29: 151.0
30: 151.2
31: 151.6

February:
1: 152.6 (TOM blip)
2: 153.0
3: 153.0 (Forgot to weigh, actually, but was 152.2 post workout)
4: 153.0
5: 152.8
6: 151.6
7: 152.8
8: 152.8
9: 152.6 (Begin restrictive calories)
10: 151.0
11: 148.8
12: 147.8
13: 146.8 (Re-feeding today...expecting a blip up tomorrow)
14: 147.8
15: 146.0
16: 146.2
17: 146.0 (Re-feed...feeling weak)
18: 145.8
19: 146.6 sore!
20: 146.8 still sore!
21: 145.0 (Not sore anymore)
22: 145.6
23: 146.0
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:

March:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5: Deadline...cousin's wedding

mkroyer
12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Eliana-- PM me... i have something for you

goodforme
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
YOU ROCK!!! :carrot: I can't wait to see the pounds start flying off of you!

cherrypie
12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how you do.

matt_H
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
You sound excited! Awesome :)

I understand the logic behind the calorie cycling, but I don't get taking a break from exercise. If your body has adapted to the exercise you are doing, wouldn't it be better to try a new activity?

VickieLou
12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Good Luck, Eliana!

Arctic Mama
12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Good luck! Working out hard with heavy calorie restriction is honestly metabolically disastrous... You're asking your body to consume energy and not giving it energy to consume, and the body is a smart enough setup to default to preserving itself before wasting away (as all metabolic indicators would indicate, though we know better, seeing what we look like).

Now, the difference between sufficient calories to run our bodies without them going into conservation mode vs, the amount we need to actively lose weight.... That difference tends to be smaller than many people realize :)

But I'm not worried about you overeating on your refeeds, I think you'll do great!

vdander24
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
You are making me excited just hearing about your plan! I can't wait to here how you are doing. good Luck!

PinkHoodie
12-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Eliana - You have been such an inspiration to me! I am really interested to see how you do with this plan, and I think it will work. I have noticed for me if I take a break and eat some maybe off plan stuff and stop my workout for a day or two I will have a couple of pounds drop off really quick which is weird, you would think it would be the opposite but I think it shocks your body a little.
Can't wait! You are so awesome! :D

joyfulloser
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM
That's GREAT...I'm rooting for ya!:D

I'm with Matt on the exercise tip???..don't understand the logic in quitting exercising though...I personally would not do it...but hey..hope it works for ya! If the scale starts climbing you could always alter the plan I guess.

Anyhoot...enjoy!!!

seagirl
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Good luck! I can't imagine 2 weeks with no exercise, barring some sort of injury.

Oboegal
12-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Best wishes, Eliana. I hope you can break this $%&@*# plateau. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

kuchick
12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm cheering for you, too Eliana! I've been considering calorie cycling, too but still haven't because Daily Plate goes accusatory red when I go over their recommended calories - I need to get over it.

Hope the plateau breaks soon :hug:

saef
12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Good luck with this.

But I think sometimes our weight mirrors our life, and plateaus when our lives plateau.

Deal with all your plateaux in ingenious ways (like this) and your weight will follow.

ubergirl
12-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Well, I'm interested to see where this takes you.

I am truly puzzled about why I remain on a plateau. I have attacked every single angle I can think of, I've eaten more, I've eaten less, I've exercised more, I've exercised less, but NOTHING GIVES.

I'd love to know if there is something that works....

Eliana
12-18-2010, 09:21 AM
You sound excited! Awesome :)

I understand the logic behind the calorie cycling, but I don't get taking a break from exercise. If your body has adapted to the exercise you are doing, wouldn't it be better to try a new activity?
Artick Mama gives a good reason for it below. I have worked out HARD since last January without any break at all, 5-6 days every single week with only two days off for illness. If you look at sports programs they tend to be 12-16 weeks long, or something like that, and then they break for the season. Why treat myself any differently? And I do switch up my activity often and it isn't working. I think my body could stand a rest. All of my cardio has become easy, which is amazingly wonderful. But I think it sounds really reasonable and sound to fully recover from a year's worth of abuse and hit it again even harder for 10-12 weeks.

Good luck! Working out hard with heavy calorie restriction is honestly metabolically disastrous... You're asking your body to consume energy and not giving it energy to consume, and the body is a smart enough setup to default to preserving itself before wasting away (as all metabolic indicators would indicate, though we know better, seeing what we look like).

Now, the difference between sufficient calories to run our bodies without them going into conservation mode vs, the amount we need to actively lose weight.... That difference tends to be smaller than many people realize :)

But I'm not worried about you overeating on your refeeds, I think you'll do great!
Yeah, like everything, my "refeeds" will be planned, not all out free for alls. I'm not a binge eater and my only real downfall food wise is chocolate. :rolleyes: I will not touch pop because that's just banned for life and I have no interest in general crap food. My refeeds will be an extra 1 full cup of pasta instead of a 1/2 cup, 1/2 a sweet potato instead of a 1/4 sweet potato and maybe a whole sandwich on WW bread instead of 1/2 a sandwich. You're right...the difference is small.
Good luck with this.

But I think sometimes our weight mirrors our life, and plateaus when our lives plateau.

Deal with all your plateaux in ingenious ways (like this) and your weight will follow.
Wise woman. ;) Unfortunately my life's plateau is not within my power to fix, so I have to rise above it and climb the rock wall beside it to get to a new level, if you will. I'm generally pretty good at mentally escaping unpleasantness though and sometimes I wonder if my body knows the trick. :rofl:

Uber, (the site wouldn't let me multi-quote you too), let me know if anything works for YOU! LOL! I know we're both grasping at straws here. Between you, CFmama and me, I've got to think there's something about our personalities and our body's way of losing that forces us into wicked plateaus. We're all extremists. I figure, why not take a break from extremist behavior for two weeks and start again. I look forward to the renewed energy I'm sure to have with a restart.

Eliana
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Yesterday I ate well above calories, so am quite pleased with my weigh in this morning. I have decided to start calorie cycling this week instead of waiting two weeks. I WAS going to go off my eating plan for a week, in retrospect I think that may be disastrous and hard to climb out of. So yesterday was a good, high calorie day. This week I'm going to stick to 1200 and have a planned "off" day again on Christmas and repeat next week with a planned "off" day on New Year's. This is working out perfectly calendar-wise.

December:
17: 157.2 (Last day of exercise) A planned off plan eating day

sept15lija
12-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Good luck, Eliana!! I'll be watching and rooting for you to break out of this plateau, plus it will be interesting to see what happens (you can be a guinea pig of sorts!). I haven't plateaued yet but am starting to slow down a bit (which is just fine) but I wonder if I will eventually plateau. I'm terrified of raising calories though - silly but true.

ubergirl
12-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Uber, (the site wouldn't let me multi-quote you too), let me know if anything works for YOU! LOL! I know we're both grasping at straws here. Between you, CFmama and me, I've got to think there's something about our personalities and our body's way of losing that forces us into wicked plateaus. We're all extremists. I figure, why not take a break from extremist behavior for two weeks and start again. I look forward to the renewed energy I'm sure to have with a restart.

Well, I know that the nutritionist I met with told me basically the same thing-- that I needed to add back calories. According to her analysis, I should be able to eat 1800 calories a day...

But the sad thing is that whenever I add back calories, I GAIN....whenever I back off exercise my stress levels go out of control and I am a stress and former binge eater, so I really have to watch my stress levels.

So my plan: I've upped the ante on exercise, lifting every other day as well as running, and I'm taking a different approach with the runs-- doing faster intervals with walk breaks instead of the daily 30 minute run. I've been on iron for about ten days, and I think I'm starting to notice a difference. I'm not as exhausted and I'm tolerating cardio much better.

Calorie-wise, I finally bought that digital food scale. I had an old analog scale that was not too precise and a lot of the time I guesstimate, but I'm finding that if I estimate the weight and weigh on my new scale I'm usually quite accurate and almost always overestimating-- so I think my calorie counting is solid.

Weight wise. ARGH.

I think I must be compacting because I'm feeling slimmer again with the increased workouts, but my weight is bouncing in the low 190s and simply won't budge. It's frustrating, but I'm DETERMINED.

I'm so envious of the people who never hit a plateau but it is what it is.

seagirl
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Isn't working out 5-6 days a week giving your body a break of 1-2 days per week?

ubergirl
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
And SAEF I think you are right!

My weight loss stopped at the exact moment that my life became 100% more stressful and complicated. Last year, when I was losing, I had lots of opportunity for rest, relaxation, and contemplation. I used to notice that the scale moved best when I was really relaxed. Now, I'm never really relaxed. I feel like if I could lay on a beach for a week, I'd get off the plateau.

Eliana
12-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm so envious of the people who never hit a plateau but it is what it is.

:p Tell me about it! Not only that, it makes me feel bad about myself, like they're doing it right and I'm not. I shake off the thought, but it's still always nagging.

Have you ever ALLOWED yourself to gain the weight you know you'll gain when you add calories? Or do you see a gain, freak out, and go right back to lower calories? I ask because it makes sense that you would gain initially upon increasing the calories. A lot of it is water as you replenish glycogen storage. But I would think if you increased the calories and gave it time knowing full well to expect a gain that when you dropped the calories a bit again a loss would follow.

Playing with numbers I'd say this means going from 1200 to 1900 and then backing off to 1500.

Personally I'm too scare of that. So my plan is to stick with 1200, because it's a number I'm comfortable with, and add 1500-1900 calorie days once every 7-10 days.

DixC Chix
12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Eliana - you are going to be your own research project and we will be able to observe the whole thing. That is a great opportunity for all of us to learn about this process. Thank you. And Good Luck!

Eliana - You have been such an inspiration to me! I am really interested to see how you do with this plan, and I think it will work. I have noticed for me if I take a break and eat some maybe off plan stuff and stop my workout for a day or two I will have a couple of pounds drop off really quick which is weird, you would think it would be the opposite but I think it shocks your body a little.
Can't wait! You are so awesome! :D

Me too PinkHoodie! I went way off on Thursday (used all my WW points for the day, what I earned with exercise for the week and the extra weekly points and NO it was not worth it) with no exercise, then got snowed in on Friday so no exercise and today weight is down. (So maybe it was worth it !!!)

kuchick
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Glad all is well so far Eliana. I know plateaus stink - the only way I got off my last plateau was to get bronchitis - I wasn't eating much. Now my metabolism is messed up and I'm stuck again. A little planning and I could have kept a petrie dish and reinfected myself - kidding obviously ;)

TooManyDimples
12-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I hope it works out for you. =)

Eliana
12-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Glad all is well so far Eliana. I know plateaus stink - the only way I got off my last plateau was to get bronchitis - I wasn't eating much. Now my metabolism is messed up and I'm stuck again. A little planning and I could have kept a petrie dish and reinfected myself - kidding obviously ;)

I remember when you got sick. I got sick last weekend and it didn't help. :dizzy: I lost 3.5 pounds over night but it returned within a few days. LOL!

So far so good though! I had quite a lot of calories Friday night and here I sit Sunday morning at a new low.

Eliana
12-19-2010, 06:30 AM
December:

ubergirl
12-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Have you ever ALLOWED yourself to gain the weight you know you'll gain when you add calories? Or do you see a gain, freak out, and go right back to lower calories? I ask because it makes sense that you would gain initially upon increasing the calories. A lot of it is water as you replenish glycogen storage. But I would think if you increased the calories and gave it time knowing full well to expect a gain that when you dropped the calories a bit again a loss would follow.

Well, currently, I'm up about five pounds from my lowest weight, I've been bouncing in a 3 to 5 pound range since the beginning of August. Right now, I feel like I "should" be losing, but I'm gaining. I expect I'm going to go back down soon. My weight normally bounces within a 3 to 5 pound range, so sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm dealing with a bounce or a true gain.

Don't know if that answers your question....

kuchick
12-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I remember when you got sick. I got sick last weekend and it didn't help. :dizzy: I lost 3.5 pounds over night but it returned within a few days. LOL!

Well, see, I went for the chronic illness and you went for the acute illness. I was sick for 5 weeks and just finally finished my antibiotics. Now I haven't been able to exercise for weeks and feel blah - I'm dreading the pain (literal pain) of starting back. :devil:

Congratulations on the mini-whoosh! Hope it continues to work for you. :)

Slim CB
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
December:

154.8!!! Wow! It's working! Am so happy for you!

Eliana
12-19-2010, 09:01 PM
154.8!!! Wow! It's working! Am so happy for you!
That or I need to change the battery! LOL! But yes, it sure looks as though calorie cycling is working. I can't say it's the exercise break because technically that doesn't start until tomorrow. I've always taken the weekend off so that can't be factored in this early.

Eliana
12-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Small bounce due to PF Chang's. Not a bit surprised.

I went window shopping with my best friend yesterday and had a ball!! I tried on dresses I NEVER could have tried on before. You know the kind...the ones that look like an hour glass on the hanger? :dizzy: They looked amazing on! So much fun! And I bought three pair of shoes that almost fit! :rofl: Even narrows aren't narrow enough, so I have do some doctoring, but they are heels and I can actually walk in them! Walking in heels goes so much better when they fit.

December:

Eliana
12-21-2010, 07:35 AM
December:
21: 155.8 (under terrible stress which may throw this whole experiment. )

Eliana
12-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Eliana- your weight is still below where you started on the 17th, so I think you are doing amazing. This is probably why I weigh once a week the bouncing around drives me insane lol. I will pray for you that the stress goes away, I hate being stressed.

It's just my mind playing games with me. Am I losing because it was just time or did I do something? Would I be losing more if I could actually eat? Am I losing now because I'm stressed? I just hate adding so many variables when I'm doing an experiment! LOL! No one could possibly duplicate what I'm doing, that's for sure!

Eliana
12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
December:

ubergirl
12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
December:

YAY!!!!!::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

KatMarie
12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm happy for you, Eliana!

Slim CB
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Keep at it girl! We are all rooting for you!!

Eliana
12-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks so much you guys!

It appears this may be working. From Thursday to Thursday I have gone from 158 to 153.6. About 4.5 pounds. I keep telling you guys I lose big one week and stall the rest! :dizzy: LOL!

(Ooh, check out my BMI! It's a haircut away from the 25's!

matt_H
12-23-2010, 07:38 AM
New low again there Eliana! Congrats :)

Slim CB
12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
:carrot::carrot::carrot: I am so happy for u!!!!

kuchick
12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Still cheering you on, Eliana! :carrot:

That is an amazing whoosh!

twinmommaplusone
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Recovery Phase is working for you!!!

Eliana
12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Recovery Phase is working for you!!!

Maybe! LOL! :^: This experiment has definitely gotten turned up on its head. Maybe it's the recovery phase...or maybe it's that I can't sleep, I'm trying to eat, my stomach hurts all the time, I dehydrated myself through tears last night and I have adrenaline coursing through my body most of the time. :dizzy:

So...I'm cautiously happy about this loss. I don't recommend this method of breaking a plateau to anyone. :no:

ksmommy
12-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe! LOL! :^: This experiment has definitely gotten turned up on its head. Maybe it's the recovery phase...or maybe it's that I can't sleep, I'm trying to eat, my stomach hurts all the time, I dehydrated myself through tears last night and I have adrenaline coursing through my body most of the time. :dizzy:

So...I'm cautiously happy about this loss. I don't recommend this method of breaking a plateau to anyone. :no:

I don't know what you're going through, didn't read all the comments (sry!). But I really hope everything turns out ok for you. It makes me sad you've been crying :hug:

Eliana
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know what you're going through, didn't read all the comments (sry!). But I really hope everything turns out ok for you. It makes me sad you've been crying :hug:

Oh, my life kind of reads like an old country song right. ;) Mom's dyeing, my brother's drinking, my husband wrote a letter to his ex with the intent to cheat, and I'm leaving him so he's in the hospital on suicide watch. :dizzy: It's just a lot on my plate and I have to get some of it off so I can move on. I'll be ok. Thanks for the cyber hug! Always welcome!

It ticks me off a little because when I started this I truly hoped it would maybe benefit others. But like I said...you can't duplicate what I've done.

joyfulloser
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Elianaaaaaaa!!!!:hug:

Glad to see you've broken your plateau! I know it's been a hard time for you and I hope things get better for you SOON! I have a sayin, "once you get to the bottom, you can only go UP from there!"...so.....take heart!:hug:

Did you have your REV meal? lol!

VickieLou
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Eliana her is a :grouphug: I'm Sorry to hear everything you are going thru right now.

:congrat: Eliana on the Weight Loss. Keep Up the Great Work!

Loving Me
12-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this Eliana, I have an inkling of what you're going through on the marriage front, but other than that I just can't imagine Sending you lots of hugs.
Congratulations on breaking the plateau though.

PinkHoodie
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow...its amazing you are losing with that kind of stress in your life. Seems to be working though. Hope you continue to see a loss! :)

sept15lija
12-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry for all the stress you're under (you're right; it definitely reads like a bad country song!!)...but very happy for you that your body is breaking the plateau you've been on!

PaulaM
12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
You are doing incredibly well with all that bad stuff going on, hope things improve for you soon.

Eliana
12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks so much everyone! You are all the most understanding group of people I've ever met! Today is a much better day. The past two days have been just horrible because I was so worried about DH's mental state. I wasn't able to contact him at the hospital. He's back at the house and we are moving forward toward the split. It's hard...but at least I'm not worried about him like I was.

December:
24: 153.4

KatMarie
12-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I got stressed just reading about your stress. You're handling it well...keep it up. I hope things work out for you and life calms down.

KenzideRhae
12-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Looks like you're doing a good job of keeping up that downward trend, despite all the stress you're under. I hope your list of worries continues to go down as well. Keep on keeping on! :hug:

Eliana
12-25-2010, 09:41 AM
December:
24: 153.4
25: 153.4

Slim CB
12-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Everyday I look forward to seeing your progress....keep it up!

Eliana
12-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Everyday I look forward to seeing your progress....keep it up!

Thanks! :D

December:

Eliana
12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Whoa, whoops! LOL! I had a hard time not eating leftovers yesterday, but wow. Ok, so indulgence over.

I guess I'm not surprised. I went from not being able to eat to eating "Christmas stuff". I'm also not beating myself up. It's been a really rough week.

Today I am so on plan...lots of veggies.

December:

Eliana
12-28-2010, 08:17 AM
December:

seagirl
12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
How are you feeling without the exercise?

Eliana
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM
How are you feeling without the exercise?

I miss it!! I can't wait to go back! I basically feel ok though. I thought I'd feel sluggish but I don't. However, I don't get that extra boost of energy in the morning that I crave.

saef
12-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Checking in on you, Eliana.

As I see many others are doing, based on the views of this thread. I like to think it's because we're all concerned about your difficult situation, rather than because we're looking in on our favorite little white lab rat.

Is it at all better at home, now that you have settled on a plan, or are you having second thoughts & reconsidering?

Also, knowing myself, I wonder: Do you find also that the exercise helped you work off tension?

Have you had to find other ways to work off your stress?

When you say "re-feed" (forgive me if you defined this upthread), what do you mean? What makes that different from your usual idea of "on plan"?

Eliana
12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Saef, I most definitely miss the release I get from exercise. It may not last the whole day, but it gives me a few hours of relief from stress. Things at home are better but my mind is absolutely made up. There's not second guessing. I'm very confident in my decision. This was by far the worst Christmas I have ever had! :rolleyes:

As for the re-feed...I guess right now it means indulging in holiday foods. After New Year's though it means an extra yogurt or an an extra complex carb like WW bread, sweet potato, etc. It means an extra 400 or so calories in a day, hopefully good quality calories.

Eliana
12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
I went back to the gym this morning. :D I couldn't stand it any longer. It feels so good!! I don't know if I'll lift tomorrow or not but I did spin class this morning and am SO glad I did. I missed the social aspect as much as the actual class. I tend to be a hermit and if I don't exercise it's just that much worse. There's something about going to the gym in the morning that puts me in the mood to leave my house during the rest of the day. :dizzy:

December:

saef
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Perhaps, given all the stress you are dealing with, you don't need the added pressure of subjecting yourself to a sort of experiment that has to be performed according to a certain pre-set standard.

Personally, I think you ought to focus on being kind to yourself, replenishing your physical & emotional resources, and looking for healthy ways to work off stress.

If the gym is one of them -- and from your last post, it sounds like it is, what with it enabling you to become more energized & outgoing, and providing you with simple human companionship not mediated by a computer screen -- then why ban yourself from using it?

You did the sensible thing. This is not caving. This is taking care of yourself during a very hard time in your life.

The experiment can wait. Unless it was a way of distracting yourself. But even then, if it kept you from something that helps you, this doesn't seem to me to be the time to do that.

joyfulloser
12-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Glad to hear your back to the gym...it's a great stress reliever...which we can all use!:D

Woot..woot!

ubergirl
12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Probably a good idea to go back to the gym. I just read an article in the New York Times today that said that even elite athletes can lose up to 40% of their fitness in only a few weeks time-- the basic message of the article was don't take a fitness break. I'm glad you're back!

Eliana
12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Probably a good idea to go back to the gym. I just read an article in the New York Times today that said that even elite athletes can lose up to 40% of their fitness in only a few weeks time-- the basic message of the article was don't take a fitness break. I'm glad you're back!

After today's workout I would say this is true for cardio but false for lifting. I went back and was able to lift heavier/stronger than before the break but I found spinning yesterday and running today to be HARD! However, I have every confidence that I will rebuild quickly and it's the body shock I was after. I think I have achieved that.

We told the kids about the divorce yesterday. :( They took it exactly as I thought they would. Our oldest (10) cried lightly for about an hour and then all day everything he looked at reminded him of some memory that made him cry. Our youngest (9) sobbed for 45 minutes, which surprised me, and wouldn't let me touch him, which also surprised me. But once his 45 minutes were up, he was his typical happy-go-lucky self. He said he'd thought about it and it wasn't going to be as bad as he thought at first. :dizzy: But, they are both very angry with me. They think it's MY fault even though we approached it as a decision we'd both come to together. And they can't know it's DAD'S fault. :tantrum: They view it as me kicking their father out. In the car later Dad started daydreaming aloud about apartments we were passing and I whispered kindly, "Maybe we should talk about this later" and our 9 year old YELLED at me from the back seat that Dad should be allowed to talk about what ever he wants and how dare I tell him to stop talking. :(

So...yesterday I ate like crap. Lots of pizza, ice cream and chocolate. :rolleyes: But wallowing in food ends today. It's time to put this behind me and turn to healthier options.

December:

DixC Chix
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: Hugs to you and the boys.

Its a top five stressor for everybody involved. Please take time to take care of you.

Eliana
01-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Back to clean eating! :dizzy: I can not wait!! My diet is going to consist of fruits, veggies and lean meats today! :carrot:

Much of my weight hike is due to stress, salty foods from so many stupid gatherings and muscle soreness from my return to the gym, so I am not at all worried about it. But boy am I looking forward to moving ahead now!

December:

January:

Eliana
01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
December:

January:

ubergirl
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Eliana, hugs to you for sticking with it even during this period of heavy duty stress!

Eliana
01-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks Uber!

December:

January:

Slim CB
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Good going!

VickieLou
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Eliana here's a :hug:. Going back to the gym look's like it's helping with the Weight Loss.

TooManyDimples
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Oh wow, I just caught up on this thread. Good for you for still being able to focus on what's best for you during a hard time. I hope things get better.

Eliana
01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I think there may be something to this calorie cycling. That or I'm just losing a bunch of water gain from Christmas. :dizzy:

December:

January:

Eliana
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
My body's going to go wonky now for a few weeks. :rolleyes: Always when I get on a roll! I actually watched the scale go up for no reason last night! I weigh whenever I want to, just for fun. It's not as obsessive as it sounds. ;) Last night I weighed just after dinner at 156. Then I went out to an event, drank/ate nothing, came home and weighed 157. Then just before bed, still having had nothing, I weighed 157.6. LOL! So I was not surprised by a weight hike this morning. I've never seen the scale do that before! Very strange.

December:

January:

Eliana
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
December:

January:

goodforme
01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
:hug: It's water retention, nothing more, and it'll go away in a couple days.

You're doing FANTASTIC!! How do you think the re-feed affected you? Looks like a major whoosh happened, would that have happened anyway? (Maybe it's too soon to tell . . .) but I hope you're feeling loads better now!

Eliana
01-06-2011, 10:21 AM
:hug: It's water retention, nothing more, and it'll go away in a couple days.

You're doing FANTASTIC!! How do you think the re-feed affected you? Looks like a major whoosh happened, would that have happened anyway? (Maybe it's too soon to tell . . .) but I hope you're feeling loads better now!

Definitely feeling loads better! Too much has been going to really say why my weight has done what it has done. There was the initial stress of the divorce, Christmas, New Years. :dizzy: Too much! Right now I can say this is water weight. I know for sure because I have been quite strictly on plan. Anything prior to right now I have no idea.

But I feel so much better having taken a break! That was the smartest thing I ever did. My routine at the gym has been revived. It's wonderful! It was getting dreary and I hadn't even realized it. It's the old "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing. :D I missed it! And it just feels good to get back.

silverbirch
01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
:hug: to gymn routines everywhere! Old ones, new ones, we love you all!

Eliana
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
December:

January:

Eliana
01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
December:

January:

seagirl
01-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Are you seeing any patterns with your calorie intake or exercise?

Eliana
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Are you seeing any patterns with your calorie intake or exercise?

No, because life happens. But based entirely on past experiences, I'm pretty sure it's working. It's hard to tell with me because I only lose one week out of the month, according to past patterns. I generally put on three pounds during TOM and hang on to it with ridiculous consistency for at least two weeks. Right now, I'm actually losing the TOM gain a few ounces a day, and that never happens! So I'm encouraged by it.

The other variables have been Christmas, New Years, and divorce stress. So unfortunately, this little experiment of mine happened at a time that it's hard to know what's really working.

But the plateau has broken, I'm sure of it. I'm just back to losing slowly, which is fine!

Eliana
01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
December:

January:

Eliana
01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I am really excited about this downward trend right now! This is not my typical pattern. :carrot:

December:

January:

Eliana
01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Three pound whoosh in less than a week! I'll take it! I'm liking this calorie cycling thing!

December:

January:

marigrace
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Eliana, I am so very glad to hear that this is working for you. I have recently started calorie cycling as well, and feel encoulaged by your progress. It seems I always hit a major plateau right around the 35 lb gone stage. Further calorie restriction is difficult and/or hasn't helped. I have a feeling this might work ....it's worth a shot.

sept15lija
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
WOO HOO Eliana!! I'm glad this is working out so well for you.

Eliana
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Today I am doing a re-feed. In case anyone is interested, it looks like this:

B: 1/2 cup steel cut oats, vanilla soy, banana
(Normal: 1/2 steel cut oats, vanilla soy)
S: Apple, 1/2 chicken breast
(Normal: apple)
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast, broccoli, rice)
(Normal: Same, but less portion size)
The rest of the day TBA

December:

January:

Eliana
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I ate so much yesterday! I ate either a double portion or an extra something, like a banana with my oatmeal instead of just the oatmeal and I ate a whole cup of spaghetti when I usually eat only 1/2. I can't believe how much 1 whole cup of spaghetti is! :yikes: And I have been lamenting my poor sad looking 1/2 cup. :rofl: Apparently I've gotten used to it. And with all that good, healthy food, I'm exactly the same weight today.

I kicked it hard in the gym, for me anyway. I find running hard and I ran 1.5 mile at 6.0!! Wahoo! Then I finished with another 10 minutes at 5.3 for a total of a 20 minute run. It's all I had time for as today's focus is really lifting.

December:

January:

Eliana
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
December:

January:

Eliana
01-15-2011, 09:00 AM
December:

January:

Eliana
01-16-2011, 09:52 AM
December:
21: 155.8 (under terrible stress which may throw this whole experiment. )

January:
11: 153.6

Oboegal
01-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Congrats on the new low, Eliana! I hope everything else is going as well as can be expected, under the circumstances.

Slim CB
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
A new low! Great!!!!!

Eliana
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Ah yes, the old personal life. ;)

DH, because I guess that's what he still is technically, moved out yesterday. No problem. I woke up this morning and made my bed! :carrot: My bed hasn't been made in 12 years! Not really. It's a little hard to make a bed that someone's in all day. :rolleyes: So that is huge to me. I get to have the blinds open and my bed made every single day. I moved him out of my closet and out of my office and there's so much space, it's amazing. The man just comes with messes.

And this morning my son said, "Well, at least we won't have Dad yelling at us all the time." :yes: Yes dear son, you get it. That's why I'm being so mean. You may not know that you get it, but you get it.

Life will get better. It's still a bit tumultuous and I don't know what tomorrow holds, but today is looking pretty good.

And I have hit a new low! By ounces...but hey. ;)

Eliana
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
December:

January:

Eliana
01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
December:

January:

Slim CB
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Where's the dancing carrot beside the new low???

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Eliana
01-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Where's the dancing carrot beside the new low???

CONGRATS!!!!!!

:D I'm happy, believe me!! My little experiment has worked beyond my wildest dreams!! I'm having a big, BIG weight loss month! Six pounds already and it's only half way through! I haven't lost like this in a long, long time.

I'm loving this, I tell you! I am invigorated at the gym having taken a break. I get to eat high calories two days a week. I'm losing weight faster than I ever have before. What's not to love? :D

Eliana
01-19-2011, 09:31 AM
January:

Eliana
01-20-2011, 07:26 AM
January:

saef
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Eliana, congratulations on having the nerve to try this, and now, seeing it succeed. You deserve this; you worked for it.

What great news for us all, particularly coming in the dead of winter, when I feel weary of this relentless routine.

Emme
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Eliana, I just read all 8 pages of your thread and I have to say congratulations to you! You've been through so much and you've succeeded so well! Many happy wishes! :)

goodforme
01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Eliana, I am ELATED for you! I had a feeling you were going to prove this theory correct, and I'm so glad you did! Are you enjoying your higher cal days, or is it still a struggle to convince yourself it's okay to have them? :hug: You're terrific!

VickieLou
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Eliana I see your experiment is working. :bravo: How do many calories do you eat a day and which two days do you eat higher calories?

Eliana
01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
It is a struggle to eat higher calories, which is odd. The struggle comes from wanting to see the scale go down the next day. It's tough when you drop a pound a day three days in a row and then face eating more calories. :dizzy: You know that's going to stop the loss. But you also know the loss will pick up again within a few days.

I pick the days quite randomly. The have coincided with "events", so to speak or I just pick a day and double up some portions. I eat around 1200-1500 calories. I'm not a good calorie counter. :o

Life is good! This has been the most tumultuous few months of my life, but I know that in the end this is going to be really, really good.

January:

Eliana
01-22-2011, 09:00 AM
January:

Eliana
01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
January:

Eliana
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
January:

Eliana
01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
March is feeling very far away. LOL! It will be here before I know it, I know, but it seems like forever.

January:

Eliana
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
January:

Eliana
01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
January:
11: 153.6
17: 152.2
27: 152.4 (Really thought I'd lose today. :dunno: )

Eliana
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
January:

seagirl
01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
You are down 6 pounds for the month. Not too shabby.

Eliana
01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
You are down 6 pounds for the month. Not too shabby.

Not shabby at all considering my past numbers!! I still have until Tuesday (Feb 1). I'm hoping for a whoosh right now. Based on past patterns I really ought to be in the middle of one.

Eliana
01-29-2011, 10:54 AM
January:

Eliana
01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
January:
30: 151.2

MablesGirl
01-30-2011, 10:48 AM
yeah! you got your whoosh!

Slim CB
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
6.4lbs in a month! Wow! Congrats Eliana...and all the best for February!

Eliana
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
January 1: 157.2
I lost 4.6 pounds in January which is great considering the last few months!

February:

Slim CB
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Have not seen you update in a while...hope you are all right :hug:

Eliana
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Have not seen you update in a while...hope you are all right :hug:

Oh yes, still hanging in there. ;) I've been updating the front page. I just got bored updating every day, I guess. LOL! That and I've hit a stall, so it's not exactly exciting. BUT, I've lost an inch off my waist and that thrills me!

I'm in a really good head space right now. I think once this wedding I'm attending in March passes I will be one content little camper. I had it in my head that I was going to be 135 pounds for this wedding. I'm not going to be. I have to let that go. If it weren't for that darn nagging deadline in my head, I would really be very happy with where I am body wise.

I took my measurements this morning, and maybe that's where my good mood is coming from. I read yesterday that the "ideal woman", whoever she is :rolleyes:, measures 36-26-36. My measurements are 36-28-36. :carrot: Those are the first numbers I've seen that validate the way I feel. I know that doesn't make sense, but my weight really bothers me. It doesn't match the way I feel.

So yep...I'm in a good head place today and thanks for asking!

Slim CB
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I am soo happy to know! It's weird how we get connected to persons in these forums.

I know how you feel about the numbers/deadlines but I think we have to get to the place where we feel satisfied with our bodies. I have gotten to that place now. Sure I would ideally like to drop 2 more pounds but is that going to make a whole lot of difference - I don't think so. As such, I am being content and focusing on enjoying this new chapter in my life. The chapter where the clothes fit, the shoes look hot, I am fitter than ever, can run 30mins straight, can complete a tough 60min class and not feel winded..........

I am glad you are feeling good about yourself. You deserve it after all you have been through recently. Let go of the deadline and enjoy your new body!:carrot::carrot:

Eliana
02-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Ok, with that wedding looming, I'm kicking it into gear. I've accepted a challenge at my gym to increase cardio so I'm I'm running 3 miles AND doing spin class M/W/F and I'm running on the elliptical T/TH as well as running stairs at work. Oh yeah, and lifting too. LOL! I'm tired! Seriously, I think a nap is in my future for this afternoon.

February:

VickieLou
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Eliana I have a wedding to attend in March too. Your doing Great. I'm hoping to be in the two teen's by mid March.

Eliana
02-11-2011, 05:53 AM
New low!! Wahoo!

February:

seagirl
02-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Ooh! Exciting! I love the new lows. Even if they don't come back for a week or so, I know they are there. My new low today was 178.6. I hope by fall I'm seeing your low of 148!
:carrot:

Eliana
02-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Ooh! Exciting! I love the new lows. Even if they don't come back for a week or so, I know they are there. My new low today was 178.6. I hope by fall I'm seeing your low of 148!
:carrot:

I have been in the 150's since, 11/1 according to my mini goal achievements. :yikes: It took me 3 and a half months to get out!! This is so welcome! :D

Welcome to the 170's!! I was so happy to be there! 174 was just "overweight" for me. That's about when I started to feel really, really good about myself. "Overweight" felt normal, and it was. It's lovely just being able to fit in with a crowd. And you have a few inches on you, so I bet the 170's are lovely! ;)

Slim CB
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

skygirl
02-11-2011, 09:57 PM
OMG! You are in the 140s!! I know this is weird, since I don't post super often, but you are very inspirational, and I when I have a chance I was seeing your progress in this thread a few weeks ago, when you were 151. And then just by coincidence a few minutes ago I was reading another thread, that you happened to have posted in, and I saw that your ticker said you were at 148! I am so happy for you! And I wanted to come over to this thread and say congrats!! :cheer2: Whoo-hoo!

Eliana
02-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Skygirl, thank you! I am so happy to have the weight moving again, it's just fantastic. I'll admit I'm being extreme right now. I've ditched this little experiment, to be honest. I caught another little gem for getting rid of the last 10 and I latched on to it.

I have lost 5 pounds over the last three days. Much of it is water weight and I know to expect a couple pounds back once I quit doing what I'm doing, but I'm riding this ride as far as it will take me.

February:

Eliana
02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
I doing a carb re-feed today. I need to look up specifically but I think this means steel cut oats, banana, and I don't know....brown rice?

February:

Eliana
02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
February:

Eliana
02-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh yeah! :carrot:

It's funny though, and I wonder if others notice this. I don't notice changes in my body when I'm losing weight. I notice changes when I'm stalled.

February:

seagirl
02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
What have you been doing differently since Feb 1?

Eliana
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
What have you been doing differently since Feb 1?

I've been doing restrictive calories with my re-feeds and have incorporated low carbs. I've been eating protein and veggies in a low calorie range. At first it was working really well, obviously. But a week in, though I've lost five pounds, I've only lost .5 inches and that was from my thigh. (Not that I'm complaining! :dizzy:) I suppose the inches are yet to follow. I do often lose weight without inches and vise versa.

Mostly though, I'm feeling weak and I don't know if it's my imagination but I feel like my innards are being eaten. My abdominal area just hurts inside.

So today, I'm doing a re-feed. Instead of protein shakes, I'm eating real foods. I had a banana pre-workout, two egg frattata for breakfast, yogurt for snack, chicken and veggies for lunch, maybe a protein shake for snack and then fish, veggies and brown rice for dinner. This fish and rice are important for me, I think. I need the complex carbs today and I think I need the healthy fat from the Salmon.

I'm having a stupid day. :rolleyes: I'm feeing obsessive and stupid and off-kilter. Anyone ever one of those days? :^: I just have to get through this wedding and then I can be rational again.

I have a private life thing going on too that's making me feel obsessive, stupid and off-kilter. So it's just one of those days.

February:

twinmommaplusone
02-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Holey Crap Eliana, that is a huge loss in the last 9 days. Thats 6lbs in 9 days! What sorta of calorie count are you doing on these restrict days? How are you feeling with your hydration?

Eliana
02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Holey Crap Eliana, that is a huge loss in the last 9 days. Thats 6lbs in 9 days! What sorta of calorie count are you doing on these restrict days? How are you feeling with your hydration?

I'll PM you. ;)

Normal weight today! :carrot: And a new chickie! Ninety freakin' pounds!!

February:

Slim CB
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I feel another GOAL story forming!!! :carrot:

Eliana
02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I feel another GOAL story forming!!! :carrot:

LOL! 10 more pounds! ;) Then, definitely! :D

Eliana
02-21-2011, 09:04 AM
This has been a fabulous month so far. 7.6 pounds down and counting. :D
February:
19: 146.6 sore!
20: 146.8 still sore!
21: 145.0 (Not sore anymore)