General Diet Plans and Questions - Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

View Full Version : Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

charmtime
12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Read about this book in a reply on this site and just bought it.....would love to start a discussion about it. I am about to start reading it.

tattoodles
12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I can only assume it was probably my review of the book that you read cuz i've literally seen NOTHING else about it on here. I know it's a slightly newer book, but it's still odd to me that no one else has mentioned it. I can't help but think that, in part, it's due to the fact that the book encourages eating a balanced diet and the dangers of ketosis (so not cutting out carbs).

Like I've said before, my weight loss hasn't been crazy fast, but it's been consistent and I still loss even when I had a boyfriend. Probably the thing I've struggled with the most is just making sure I eat right when I get up and eating every four hours. There are times where I could go longer, but she doesn't recommend it and frankly it keeps me from ever feeling hungry.

As for the book itself, I love the writing style especially her description of how she ate before. Not eating much in the morning, working out, having a huge salad for lunch and using that to justify eating a gallon of ice cream at night. It totally resonanted with me (and probably would with most people here). It's an eating plan that encourages moderation, but I love that nothing is totally off limits. I LOVE food and I like that I can still have the foods I love and lose weight.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think about the book. I haven't actually made any of the meals in the back even though they look DELISH (!) mushroom and artichoke chicken scaloppine. . .high protein pumpkin ginger pancakes. . .raspberry chambord trifle. . .I just have very limited access to the kitchen cuz I share it with my brother and he likes to use my dishes and not wash them. I have refused to clean up after him, so it means I usually do not have any pans or utensils to cook with. :( I just make sure I eat a PC combo every four hours. Some of my family has been impressed with my weight loss cuz they see that I'm still eating and have tons of energy. I went from obese (barely) to normal weight, and a size 16 to an 8.

sorry for the long post, but I really can't say enough good things about this book or this eating plan. It's something I feel I will be able to do forever.

rainbowsmiles
12-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Probably the thing I've struggled with the most is just making sure I eat right when I get up and eating every four hours. There are times where I could go longer, but she doesn't recommend it and frankly it keeps me from ever feeling hungry.

I just make sure I eat a PC combo every four hours.

i am assuming a PC combo is a protein carb combo?? i saw someone else mention a PC combo on another thread...can you tell me please ... why is that important? i am new....well starting over...was here once before but got off track and now a little over a yr later, i am trying this a second time. i am not on any specific plan. just trying to learn and make right choices.

you mention "eat right" when you get up....can you help me by telling me what you feel is a daily recommened amount of carbs to eat in a day...there is so much info that is not consistant. thanks ever so kindly, susan

oh yeah, why is it important to eat every 4 hrs? thanks

tattoodles
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Ah! I had computer access earlier and am now stuck writing on my phone. So, yes PC combo stands for protein/carbs. I don't have the book on me right now, and don't want to misquote anything. So I will try to write a complete answer once I have the book and computer access again. I HATE typing on my phone.

charmtime
12-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I have only read the first few pages so I can't answer your questions. I can't wait to read it because everything tattoodles says makes sense to me. I don't like meat so I am a little scared of the heavy protein thing.

I ate a piece of carrot cake and some cheese for breakfast....so not sure about that. (smile)

foodmasochist
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
i haven't read this although i'd be interested. i love salad! i think the problem comes in when people think eating some "healthy" (ie salad) is permission to eat something unhealthy later. Of course consuming healthy food alone doesn't leave you with negative calories. But i can understand the tendency to think that way. Please let me know what you guys think of the book.

-fm

kittycat40
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Ha! Some of the salads at TGIF have 1200 cals per dish! Not all salads are the same :)
Of course, this has nothing to do with said book. just having fun ;)

tattoodles
12-16-2010, 12:35 PM
She definitely doesn't say you shouldn't eat salads, but exactly like like you said, too many dieters have the mentality that eating a salad gives you permission to indulge later. I still eat salads but I make sure to get ones that have some protein (usually some black beans or a boiled egg) and don't go crazy with the dressing.

tattoodles
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Kittycat: she mentions that too! The cheesecake factory Caesar salad has 1699 cal (145g fat and 44g carbs), applebees stacked tostada salad has 1400cal, Chili's southwestern Cobb salad is 1117cal. But so many people just assume salads are always the healthy choice.

kittycat40
12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Tat, if we were on facebook I would LIKE your post :)

tattoodles
12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
thanks kittycat!

ok. so when I said eat right when I get up, I meant eat within an hour of waking up. not necessarily eating "right".

and how the author explains it is you basically have 4 "tanks" for fueling the body. the first is used right after you eat, 3-5 hours after you eat you start dipping into tank number 2 which is glycogen from stored in the liver, this is prime fat burning time. Tank three is muscle and liver tissue which you're still burning fat, but your metabolism has slowed and tank 4 is ketosis and while you're continuing to burn fat, it's essentially your body running on empty. ketosis is kind of the goal with low carb diets, but the fact that you have to go through the other stages to get there is not good.

also, she explains that the brain and nervous system use twice as much glucose (blood sugar) than other parts of the body, and you're body doesn't store glucose. that's why, even if you ate a TON of carbs in the morning, you're still going to feel hungry later in the day.

she recommends eating every four hours because it gets you dipping into tank two and burning fat without getting to the point where you're breaking down any muscle tissue. and combining protein and carbs helps the breaking down of carbs to be slower. She explains it kind of how when you drink alcohol on an empty stomach it goes straight to your head. in the same way, carbs eating without a protein to keep blood sugar levels even just causes your blood sugar to spike.

that's one of her main points that she stresses and I've found to be absolutely true is when you keep your blood sugar running pretty evenly it keeps you from making rash or bad food decisions. I used to eat an apple for a snack, and it'd satisfy me for a short time, but now that I combine it with some non-fat yogurt or some meat and cheese, it lasts soooo much longer. Her general guidelines are have your protein portion the size of the palm of your hand, your carbs the size of your fist with the other hand wrapped around it, and roughly a shot glass size of healthy fats.

like i said before, the hardest part IS making sure I'm eating every four hours cuz sometimes it's tempting to go longer or put it off, but I know i feel a million times better when I do eat frequently. I don't cook much meat myself, so it's been a little difficult to add protein. But some of the changes I've made have made a huge difference. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast (cuz they recommend it on almost every diet plan i've seen), but i would still feel hungry. Since starting reading this book i've added protein by having my oatmeal with a half cup of non-fat plain yogurt, and soymilk with my coffee. The difference it's made is immeasurable.

I basically eat 4 meals (not just snacks) a day and have consistently and happily lost weight. Like I said in a totally different post, the first few times I weighed myself and saw the scale going down I totally thought it was a fluke. Everyone I know seemed to be suffering in their weight loss journey and I felt like I was eating all the time and YUMMY stuff too! I have scrambled egg whites with a little cheese, salsa, a piece of toast with butter, and my special trader joe's mocha that I make for breakfast a few times a week. Strawberries and cream oatmeal with yogurt and soy latte some mornings, and if i don't have a lot of time I'll have some fruit, non-fat cottage cheese, and a handful of nuts.

I feel like I'm kind of babbling now, but I'm not sure what else to say. All I know is this has been the easiest weight loss I've ever had and it just makes sense to me.

charmtime
12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow....I am barely into the book but your post has already made me understand what she is talking about.

You hit on an important point for me and I wish you would talk about it some more....what is protein? I don't eat a lot of meat and I just know that is going to be my problem. I know to eat eggs and I read where you said yogurt.Any other good protein sources? I am afraid that is where I am going to mess up.

Also...I am a HUGE SWEET EATER....How do sweets fit into this plan or do you just not crave them?

charmtime
12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I knew better than to try a "plan" over Christmas....I have been surrounded by some amazing food the past two days. But...Now I am back to reality:)
The book has a couple of meal plans that I will need to stick to until I get my head really wrapped around this concept. I am already thinking PC which is kind of cool.

I slept in late this morning and had not planned anything for breakfast (so I am seeing one obstacle already) so I just opened the fridge to grab a little something. I found 1/2 a boiled egg and my brain screamed PROTEIN, so I dug around for some carbs and came up with 3 mini cheese biscuits I made for Christmas Eve. I allowed my self a spoonful of an orange-brownie cake as well. I am very satisfied.

The trick is to eat PC every 4 hours. I am off work this week but when I go back Monday-week, I will need to plan these meals out carefully or frankly I will skip meals.

Marinella
12-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi, tatoodles, thanks for your posts, they are really helping. I just bought the book a week ago and I am only on Chapter 3 (the holidays have kept me so busy!). I am so excited about this program and I can't wait to get started. My question for you is: how long did it take you to reach your goal? Have you lost the weight on this diet alone or were you following another one before you started this program? I am currently a size 16. I would be happy to reach a size 10 but I used to be a size 8 long time ago. Thanks and congratulations on your weight loss!

tattoodles
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I started September of 2009. So 15 months. But the first three months I only lost 6 lbs total (and had not read this book). Then I read Skinny chicks don't eat salads and decided that was the plan for me. I also did have a boyfriend for 6 of those months and while I still lost 5 lbs while I was with him (soooo happy I didn't gain!) Most of the weight loss was from Jan.-May and late October till the present.

tattoodles
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Wow....I am barely into the book but your post has already made me understand what she is talking about.

You hit on an important point for me and I wish you would talk about it some more....what is protein? I don't eat a lot of meat and I just know that is going to be my problem. I know to eat eggs and I read where you said yogurt.Any other good protein sources? I am afraid that is where I am going to mess up.

Also...I am a HUGE SWEET EATER....How do sweets fit into this plan or do you just not crave them?

Other than yogurt (nonfat usually) and eggs I also use beans for protein, nonfat dairy products, and quinoa as well as some meat. I know tempeh is a good vegetarian protein source, but I've never had it myself. I also use soymilk in my coffee most of the time.

And sweets can fit into your meal plan, it's just best to have them in moderation which I know is much easier said than done. But part of why the skinny chicks eating plan works so well is that by having the PC combos, your blood sugar stays on an even level which makes it easier to resist sweets. When your blood sugar is spiking and then falling it's easy to want to grab and eat anything insight. I don't think there have been any times I ate off plan do to genuine hunger.

I don't have the book with me right this second, but I know there is a section where the author talks about a woman who followed her plan and was also vegetarian. There's a sample menu of what she used to eat (generally too many carbs and no protein to balance it out) and how they made everything more balanced.

*also, have you gotten to the part where she works with Giuliana Rancic from E! news? it was nice to know that even skinny girls like Guiliana make the same mistakes we all make in trying to lost weight.

charmtime
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I started this on January 1 and am sooooooooooooooo amazed already. I was weighed 150 on January 1 and 148 today. I am thrilled.

I am not following the initial plan which calls for lots and lots of fruits/veges. I am following the next one.

Here is exactly what I have been eating every day:

6:30 oatmeal with blackberries and nuts
11:15 chicken wrap(I use a wheat tortilla, chicken, black beans, salsa and lettuce)
3:30 yogurt, fruit, nuts
5:30 a Lean Cuisine meal or a SMALL portion of my family supper
7:30 one wedge Laughing Cow and around 10 Special K chips

I was an unreal sweets eater....never met a brownie I didn't love, you know...and I have not craved them since I started this.

I simply stay "even"....I am hungry before my meal and then completely full until I get hungry right before the next meal.

WOW....WOW...WOW

I have not exercised at all but would love to see how exercise affects this.

Love this book:)

tattoodles
01-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm a big fan too (obviously), I just think when it comes to weight loss you have to find what works for you on an individual level and something you can stick with. I don't want to have to lose weight again.

Bac0s
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Sounds like an interesting read... I just picked it up at the library yesterday.

charmtime
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
What amazes me is 1. not having that OH MY I AM STARVING feeling and 2. not craving sweets

charmtime
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Had the first person say to me today "Have you lost weight?!" Music to my ears. I love it.

sal27253
01-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Yay! Isn't that great to hear? Confirmation that what you are doing really is working.

Kimberly2011
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I definitely want to check out this book after reading this thread! I have been reading and following, for a week now, Tosca Reno's Eating Clean Diet Recharged book, which isn't a diet at all, but simply a better way of eating. While it is similar in that you eat 6 times a day (every 2-3 hours) you are supposed to incorporate a lean protein and a complex carb with every meal. So for example: oatmeal and egg whites (NOT in the same bowl! LOL), apple with peanut butter, chicken w/whole wheat pasta, etc. I have found it VERY easy to follow. Best of all - I find I am not at ALL hungry and don't have the sweet cravings, which is/was definitely my weakness. I am guessing it is because my sugars are leveled and not spiking - creating that urge.

charmtime
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Kimberly,
Sounds almost exactly the same. It amazes me that I don't get that starved, where are the brownies feeling I used to get!!

Another thing that I think helps me is that I eat the exact same breakfast and lunch every day. I am a teacher and that helps me to plan the night before and not rely on impulse food (like a honey bun from the machine in the lounge).

For dinner, even if we go out to eat and I can't eat my lean cuisine, I still like I know what to eat. I definitely eat less.

I also have my after school snack and 7:30 snack and it helps that they are the same.

On a side note, it was really cold today and I buttoned my coat and was amazed that 1. it buttoned and 2. there was wiggle room. Now, I am no SKINNY MINI yet, but I feel like I can say the YET part, you know?

GOOD TIMES:)

Jen516
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks for posting about this book - I totally want to check it out now! A lot of what you're describing about PC combos, eating every 4 hours, and blood sugar is exactly what they teach in the diabetes class I went to. I'm not diabetic, but my mom was diagnosed and it certainly wasn't far off for me at the rate I was going! Eating protein has been key for my weight loss and watching the amount of carbs in foods too. Thanks again, this helps me feel like I'm making changes that will help me be successful in maintenance too! :D

charmtime
01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I have lost 3 lbs and 1 1/2 inches off my waist. My bra needs to be on a tighter "setting" and I feel so much better. The great thing is that I go off plan if I need to and still am able to do my protein/carb thing (which allows me to eat out).

Tina2011
01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I eat salad more than my friends and they are all skinny, I don't have the attitude that I can eat something else later on though, but sometimes I do feel that there's no point in exercising if it's a low calorie day!

charmtime
01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
The title is kind of a joke I think. But she also makes the point that restaurant salads can be crazy!!

I really think the whole point is to eat protein/carbs every four hours. It is great!!

BreathingSpace
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast (cuz they recommend it on almost every diet plan i've seen), but i would still feel hungry. Since starting reading this book i've added protein by having my oatmeal with a half cup of non-fat plain yogurt, and soymilk with my coffee. The difference it's made is immeasurable.

I was actually going to start on thread on this, because I get so frustrated with this stuff.

If I don't add some sort of protein to anything I eat, I'm hungry like an hour later. I see these people talking about eating oatmeal in the morning with fruit and I just think, how?? If I eat that I am literally hungry within 2 hours (if I'm lucky it's THAT'S long!).

also, people who just eat soup for lunch. I keep thinking, is there something wrong with me? why wouldn't soup fill me up? No way, I would be hungry in an hour.

I'm going to check out this book!

~BreathingSpace~

charmtime
01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
You will be amazed! I always knew I felt better if I ate protein and even mentioned it to my doctor one time. He just gave me a funny look. What amazes me is I don't get hungry and don't have cravings.

My husband mentioned today that he couldn't believe how my stomach was "going in." Mind you, I just started this on the 1st and have not eaten 100% "on plan." When we went to Macaroni Grill this weekend, I enjoyed bread with olive oil, pasta, roasted vege and lemon chicken. See, how I still did the protein/carb thing.

I love, love, love it!! I plan to start exercising tomorrow and am curious how I will feel ( I don't know if I will need to eat more?). I haven't counted the calories, but I am losing weight. So sweet:)

And yes...I never got how people could have a cup of soup for lunch. I have no willpower. If I am hungry, I eat. With this, I don't get hungry and I really, really enjoy my meals.

tattoodles
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for posting about this book - I totally want to check it out now! A lot of what you're describing about PC combos, eating every 4 hours, and blood sugar is exactly what they teach in the diabetes class I went to. I'm not diabetic, but my mom was diagnosed and it certainly wasn't far off for me at the rate I was going! Eating protein has been key for my weight loss and watching the amount of carbs in foods too. Thanks again, this helps me feel like I'm making changes that will help me be successful in maintenance too! :D

The book does talk about blood sugar and mentions that a lot of people just associate it with diabetes. Everyone has blood sugar and how/what/and when we eat affect our levels. The book explains pretty thoroughly why keeping levels even helps in weight loss. If you're going too long between meals and not keeping them balanced, you're far more likely to need a quick "fix" and reach for a Snickers bar or quart of ice cream. Even when I do have treats, I feel like it's so much easier to have a small reasonable amount. I don't pig out.

I've written before (I think it was a different post) that I chose not to weigh myself for the month of January. The main reason was so I could focus completely on nutrition value and exercise without stressing about what the scale says. But the other reason is to see if I can still lose weight on this plan without constant monitoring. I'm usually a daily weigher, so this does make me a little nervous. However, I feel good and the other day I was bored at the mall trying on dresses and fit a size six! That was pretty exciting. I kind of thought the sales lady was joking when she guessed I was a 4 or a 6. I still haven't reconciled what I used to look like with my current weight/size.

charmtime
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay....in a roundabout way, here is "proof" that this plan works!!

Today I did not pack my lunch. I woke up late and remembered a breakfast date with my husband (something we NEVER do during the work week). I did not want to bail on him, so I quickly got ready and we met at McDonalds ( I know, I know!!).

So....I buy an egg and cheese bagel and the oatmeal. I am "thinking" protein/carb. I eat 1/2 the bagel and save the other half and oatmeal for lunch. Feeling pretty good. Get to work and eat the other half of bagel and about 3/4 of the oatmeal for lunch. Skip my 3:00 snack and work late. Well, by the time I leave work...I am beyond STARVING!! I won't tell you what I ate, but let's just say...I am no longer hungry but also not feeling so good!!

It amazes me how good I feel on plan. Today just reinforced it to me. I actually didn't get too "off" plan but, man, what a difference.

All day I have been feeling like my pants are gonna fall off cause they are so baggy!! But, that won't last if I repeat today, you know?

I think this plan is worth it for how GREAT you feel and the weight loss is a really SWEET bonus.

trying2doitall
01-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I really like the sound of this book. Thanks for sharing everyone! I'm going to have to check it out.

I have an insatiable urge to consume MASS quantities of sugary-sweetness, if I can control those wild cravings with simple protein/carb combos, I am all in!

I also like the idea of eating every 3 to 4 hours. :-)

charmtime
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Okay....here is my chance to let everyone learn from my mistake. I haven't posted in a week. I had a girls' day with my daughter....ordered a large pizza....and kind of went crazy for a couple of days. I am back from 147 to 149.5. I had easily dropped from 150 to 147. It makes me sick to think I lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks and gained almost all of it back in less than a week.

But...it taught me a valuable lesson. This plan does work, but you have to be faithful. I have a goal to lose at least 15 pounds by June. Sounds so easy but not if I keep going back and forth. So..this is yo-yo dieting?

Back on plan...and you are right....it is awesome eating every 3-4 hours and when you eat a protein/carb combo...you do not crave the sweets.

tattoodles
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
So I did my month of not weighing myself and still lost a pound and a half. It's not a huge loss, but I was also doing a lot of muscle toning AND it's TOM for me, so I'll have a better idea of the total weight loss when my period's over (I retain a lot of water and frequently am down 3 or 4 lbs from the start of my period till the end).

charmtime
02-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Did you weigh yourself at the same time, etc... as your last weigh-in?

tattoodles
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Did you weigh yourself at the same time, etc... as your last weigh-in?

Yep. Although it's kinda crazy you asked that, I did a weighing experiment today! I've seen a bunch of posts about when people weigh themselves so today I weighed first thing in the morning naked (what I usually do), then after I got dresses and ate, before and after everytime I went to the bathroom. I'm going to write a post about it tomorrow.

lackadaisy
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
tattoodles, I'd LOVE to see that post... I always seem to lose tons of weight overnight. And I track my lowest weight because it motivates me to beat that line every time.

Can someone summarize the key takeaways of this book for those of us who want to eat salads? Haha. Is it just the constant & scheduled feeding plus a protein/carb combo each time? I think I can do that... I really need better ideas for craving control, and any plan that is good for banishing those feelings and helping me think about weight loss less is fine by me.

tattoodles
02-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Here's the post: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/225107-everyone-who-has-asked-when-weigh-i-did-experiment.html

tchermom
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Anyone still doing this program?

tattoodles
05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Anyone still doing this program?

I am! I've been in maintenance for almost 3 months now, and following this has made it super easy.

skinnychickintrainin
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi there. I'm behind the times I guess. Just starting reading this book, then googled it, then found this site and joined. I used to be very active in the WW community board, but I'm no longer on WW. I don't want to count points. I'm a (mostly) vegetarian, so I'm wondering if this plan is for me. Though, thus far, I've been enjoying all the science the author discusses. It certainly all makes sense.

carolr3639
04-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I thought that book was very interesting.