Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #1  

Default Protein Bar???

Does anyone know of a good low-carb protein bar??? I am looking for something without added sugar, sugar alcohols, or other fillers. I used to make my own meals for on the go, but I just don't have the time anymore with my new job...
kansaskoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Well...I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I got it out of my Burn the Fat book so you may wanna try it. I personally use Atkins Choco-Peanut butter protein bars...YUM! 2 net grams of carbs, but yes, sugar alcohols

Here goes it:

Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars
2 1/2 c. (200g) oats
1 scoop (30g) whey powder (use chocolate flavor)
2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
3 large egg whites
2 medium bananas (300g) mashed
1 tbsp. (approx. 100 ml) nonfat milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat your oven for 5 minutes at 180C (355F). Mix the oats, and the whey and the cinnamon. Add the peanut butter and stir in thoroughly. Add the egg whites, mashed bananas and honey. Add the nonfat milk slowly, while mixing thoroughly.

Spoon the mixture into a greased lined cake tin and level with a knife. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. REmove from oven and allow to cool slightly beffore cutting to reduce stickiness. Cut into 8 bars.

Nutritional INFO
Calories (Per Serving): 154
Protein (g): 9.5
Carbs (g): 21.3
Fat (g): 3.4
Carb-Protein-Fat % Ratio: 25% - 55% - 20%

Now that I type this recipes...seems like it would work...maybe add some splenda if its not sweet enough.

If anyone tries this recipe...please post your results. Hope this helps!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

ok...113 hits, and NO ONE's tried it? Wow..just wow
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
Well...I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I got it out of my Burn the Fat book so you may wanna try it. I personally use Atkins Choco-Peanut butter protein bars...YUM! 2 net grams of carbs, but yes, sugar alcohols

Here goes it:

Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars
2 1/2 c. (200g) oats
1 scoop (30g) whey powder (use chocolate flavor)
2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
3 large egg whites
2 medium bananas (300g) mashed
1 tbsp. (approx. 100 ml) nonfat milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat your oven for 5 minutes at 180C (355F). Mix the oats, and the whey and the cinnamon. Add the peanut butter and stir in thoroughly. Add the egg whites, mashed bananas and honey. Add the nonfat milk slowly, while mixing thoroughly.

Spoon the mixture into a greased lined cake tin and level with a knife. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. REmove from oven and allow to cool slightly beffore cutting to reduce stickiness. Cut into 8 bars.

Nutritional INFO
Calories (Per Serving): 154
Protein (g): 9.5
Carbs (g): 21.3
Fat (g): 3.4
Carb-Protein-Fat % Ratio: 25% - 55% - 20%

Now that I type this recipes...seems like it would work...maybe add some splenda if its not sweet enough.

If anyone tries this recipe...please post your results. Hope this helps!
This looks AWESOME! Chocolate peanut butter combos are my favorite! I am going to try this recipe out sometime this week and will give some feedback once I do so.

Has anybody heard of Quest bars? My doctor just recommended them to me and apparently they don't use sugar or sugar alcohols. I would like to know of people's opinions on them before purchasing.
kansaskoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #5  

I was reading your post as I'm looking for the same thing in a protein bar, and don't always have time for a meal. They're a great way to get what I need in a hurry, but most of them are so full of sugar. I just found their website, and after chatting with an agent online I was able to send for two free samples.
Thanks for pointing them out to me, I'll be sure to let you know how they taste.
thinnow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #6  

I tried the Quest - they were ok (no chocolate - I need chocolate) - a lot of people rave about them, but they caused cravings for me. I usually get the Worldwide Sports Pure Protein Chocolate Dexluxe....I think they have 1g of sugar, 20g protein, and 180 calories (don't hold me to that!)

Happy Holidays!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote