General chatter - Are there any Mormons on here?

View Full Version : Are there any Mormons on here?

cbmare
12-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I would like to ask some questions.

1. How long are missions?

2. Do you have a choice of where you want to go?

3. What do you do on these missions?

Elizabeth Smart interrupted her mission to come back and testify against that monster. I'm happy the judge put off sentencing until her mission is completed in May so she doesn't have to interrupt it again because of him.

lazylioness
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Not LDS but work for a LDS company.

This is what I know

1) 2years
2) no
3) travel and teach about the Church.

Glory87
12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm a wee bit cynical, but I think it's nice that Elizabeth Smart got a kick *** awesome mission like Paris, France. My dear friend went to Cary, NC for his mission.

Seriously, a super cool mission destination seems like a nice thing to do, considering how what happened.

My friend who went to NC says it's very structured, you are with your partner all the time. Very limited contact with home (few phone calls/emails). He also said he wasn't allowed to go to movies. He's a huge Star Wars fan and his mission happened during one of the big Star Wars movies, he says that was a bit of a toughie. IIRC, he also said it's not paid for by the church, your family pays for you to go (I might be remembering that wrong, hopefully, someone will stop by with accurate info).

Oh, he said the other benefit was with the Mormon chicks. They liked to marry guys that went on missions. Not sure how tongue in cheek he was with that (he had a pretty good sense of humor about all things).

AmberM
12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Actually women's missions are only 18 months. Men go on 2 year missions. No, you don't get to pick where you go. Some missions are just staffing Visitor centers at Temples or historic church sites. Most missions are actually knocking on doors and telling people about our church and what we believe. They give of their time to spread the word to others about our church. You do have a companion that you are with at all times for safety. Women go on missions at 21 and Men at 19.

A Paris Mission is pretty cool. My nephew is going to Brazil in February and my husband went to Cleveland Ohio.

AmberM

lazylioness
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah I have a friend at work who went to Guatemala, another one to Salt Lake (seriously, I cannot decide if that is the easiest or hardest mission ever), boss who went to Canada, another one to Italy (how kick *** is that) and his wife who went to Finland. My old boss went to Canada as well. Paris would be pretty cool, however, you have to remember, that while on Mission its not like they can hang out and soak up the sites. LOL.

I have always felt bad for the guys that come on their Mission here where I live. There is NOTHING here.

cbmare
12-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the answers. I have just learned something new here.