General chatter - UGH! Fruit flies!

View Full Version : UGH! Fruit flies!

Princess of the KING
12-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey Everyone! I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area but I have fruit flies/nats. I need them gone YESTERDAY! :rollpin: They are driving me insane. I have tried almost everything! Anyone have any tips of how to get rid of them? I figured I would turn to you guys! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Eliana
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes! LOL! We had a fruit bowl all summer and I LOVED having my fruit out at room temperature but boy did it attract fruit flies. :rolleyes:

Take a banana peel and put it in a Gladware type container. Punch nail size holes in the lid and close it shut. Leave it out and within about 24 hours you'll have caught 95% of them. You can just release them outside and put the container back out to catch the rest. The flies find their way in but they can't get back out.

I used a corn cob nobber thing to punch holes to give you an idea of size. The holes are pretty small.

Nienna
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Ugh! I had fruit flies a few months ago, and it was AWFUL! They absolutely infested my apartment. I used a variation on Eliana's suggestion to get rid of a lot of them. I put a piece of overly ripe apple into a jar, filled the jar with water, and then added a little bit of soap. The fruit flies are attracted to the smell of the apple and then die when they get into the soapy water mixture. Of course, I didn't want to wait for a whole day to get rid of the fruit flies, so I then proceeded to vacuum the little devils up. If you have a vacuum cleaner with a hose, you can get rid of them really quickly.

smisen
12-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Same technique as above, but we used red wine and mashed up blueberries. That and a couple of fly strips took care of them pretty quickly :)

Wild Vulpix
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
We should demand congress write a bill making fruit flies illegal. :D

junebug41
12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes! LOL! We had a fruit bowl all summer and I LOVED having my fruit out at room temperature but boy did it attract fruit flies. :rolleyes:

Take a banana peel and put it in a Gladware type container. Punch nail size holes in the lid and close it shut. Leave it out and within about 24 hours you'll have caught 95% of them. You can just release them outside and put the container back out to catch the rest. The flies find their way in but they can't get back out.

I used a corn cob nobber thing to punch holes to give you an idea of size. The holes are pretty small.

Aside from bleach bombing my kitchen, this is by far the best solution I've found!

Zeitgeist
12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I put a cup of pickle juice on the counter with a drop of liquid dish soap and caught the majority of mine. It tends to work best overnight.

Princess of the KING
12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys! I will be trying ALL of the suggested things because I want them gone so bad!

VeganVictoria
12-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Ah, so that is what they are !!
Been having these annoying little buggers flying all around the kitchen and living room for the last 3 weeks !

Easy solution here though - my cat Claude has been having a field day catching them and eating them ! Ask me why kissing Claude of late has been a no go zone ! :p