Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #1  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Terrified for Christmas Temptations

I am sure I am not the only one really worried!

I've only been calorie counting for almost 2 weeks now and already Christmas is here to try and ruin my hard work!

I am going to two different families houses and not cooking/bringing anything. I've already been told that one aunt is bring crawfish for tacos and POUNDS of French and German cheeses. The other aunt is bringing sausages and Grandma will bake tons of cookies - this doesn't even count what the other aunts, uncles and what my mom and dad are bringing - plus mash potatoes and gravy and cream and FAT! Gaaahhhh.

I'm sure you all have your equivalent of the same food that will be there. I do not know how I am going to resist it but I must. I'm sure I will indulge in a few things but I CANNOT be snacking on the probably 10,000 calorie Brie and Camenbert my Aunt is bringing all day long plus cookies and nuts and chocolate.

I don't know how I am going to make it through - I think I need to bring my own vegetables or something and cook my own small meals or sides so I don't only have horrible options to choose from.

Do others have a plan of attack to avoid totally ruining their plans????
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hey steinawine YES I too am extremely apprehensive!! I only have ONE day of being on plan under my belt (today, hooray) I am afraid of when I do all my cookie baking that I give as gifts. And two parties coming up. I guess we just have to double our resolve and PLAN ahead - bring some sensible snacks, and eat ahead of time. Because think of how remorseful we will feel afterwards, if we pig out.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Great advice above. Make sure you have something healthy to eat and eat something ahead of time. Remember, the holiday is about family and not food!

Imagine how great you will feel when make it through the holiday totally on plan
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Oh, I totally have a plan of attack!

I'm a calorie-counter too. I think that we have it a little easier than others do during the holidays, as we can stretch our plans to fit some odd or infrequently eaten foods. If you're like me, though, some foods just trigger wanting more--so once I've pinpointed them, I just skip them and move on to the things I can enjoy in moderation.

A cubic inch of Brie is about sixty calories, but it's so creamy and rich that you could probably spread that cubic inch out on a lot of bites of something lower-calorie--raw veggies, for instance, or crispbreads, or slices of apple. If cheese isn't a "moreish" food for you, I say enjoy it--I know I do.

Use the same philosophy for the other goodies there. Sausages taste great; have a few bites of one with a big helping of sauerkraut or beans or whatever else you like to eat with sausage. The key, I think, is having ONE--and staying away from all the stuff you can't eat by ones and twos. (For me, that'd be the cookies. )

Bringing something for yourself is definitely an option. In fact, get with the host(s) of your two get-togethers and see what you can bring for everyone if you like. A lot of weight-loss-friendly stuff is also delicious stuff, so maybe you could bring a pot of vegetable stew, a dish of baked sweet potatoes, or some green beans for everyone to share so you feel more a part of the meal. Bringing just your own dish also works, but I find that if I don't get to eat at least some of what's on other people's plates, I feel deprived; if you're made of stronger stuff than me, though, go for it!

For Thanksgiving, I knew I'd want more calories than my usual target of 1500. So I planned to have a "big eats" day of 2200 calories. (That was still considerably smaller than the 5000-plus calories I probably packed away on regular Thanksgivings.) I ate what everyone else at the table did, just in different proportions, and stuck to my allotment without feeling left out, deprived, or un-festive. The scale didn't even seem to notice, I'm happy to report.

Sorry this got so long-winded, but I just wanted to say that you can TOTALLY handle Christmas without wrecking your plan! Also, crawfish? in Chicago? At least a few of your folks MUST be from down here in Louisiana!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #5  

I loooove Camembert!

But anyway, for myself having been through Thanksgiving already, I am not apprehensive because surprisingly I had all that I wanted and STILL lost weight. I didn't go for seconds and thirds, well maybe seconds of 1 or 2 things and felt full and I just chatted while I ate and ate slowly which passed the time so I wasn't super focused on the food. I also played Wii bowling and tennis with my little cousins to burn off some calories and played some music and danced around the kitchen as I cleaned up So you could try that, get what you want and plan for it: if you can look up the servings and calories before that should help as well as maybe working out extra before or and after, as well as perhaps eating or drinking a lot of water before you head to dinner so you're relatively full and will only have room for the things you really want.

I am beginning to be less paranoid about eating. I stay within my calories 99% of the time; however, I realize one unhealthy option won't ruin it all and for it to be sustainable I have to be conscious but not obsessed. Last night I had some pasta (WHITE! In a creamy sauce) and was terrified. Fortunately it tasted too rich so I actually didn't crave seconds. Then later on I gave in to temptation and had 1 smore. This morning I weighed myself, terrified I'd somehow blow up overnight and surprisingly lost 2 MORE LBS! I was ecstatic and relieved. So with that, I kind of realize that I can lose weight and eat what I want in moderation so I don't have to be extra vigilant and down on myself about 1 "bad choice", since 99% of the time I eat healthy and within my calories and it has been a lifetime of eating without thinking, eating too much, too often why I gained weight and not one meal.

Last edited by EmpressB; 12-10-2010 at 09:59 PM.
EmpressB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I've been thinking about this too. Last year, I don't know how I made it through, this year feels like it's the first time, but it's not!

Today was one of those days and I think as an example of what I'm trying to do it might work. My problem is PCOS and managing my blood sugars. So, I think that while I may not be able to stay within my calories, I will eat as low-carb as possible. Managing my glucose and the highs/lows is much more important to me than staying exactly within calories. I'm trying to get my fiber high too. Diabetics are recommended to have at least 25 grams per day and I'm aiming for minimum of that.

So, the result is that I'm eating a lot of vegetables and salads and I'm not eating a lot of pasta or potatoes or cookies or cakes. But I'm still over my calories today. I was able to eat out but I didn't just give up and eat cookies and cake like crazy.

Next week, I have to face this again. For a party, I've made a lasagna that's heavy on the meat sauce and very light on the pasta. I also have other dinners out which will probably consist of vegetable soups and dinners of entree salads. Sure, others will be eating much more fatty food but I don't want to undo the work that I've done so far because it's so hard for me to lose weight and I don't want to relose it.

It's hard and it's scary and preplanning and getting in the right mind set is going to help, even if you eat a little too much. The key, as always is to go right back on plan the next day.

Even if you have a crazy calorie dinner, the next morning you wake up and start counting your calories again and start by having a healthy on-plan breakfast. You can't give up because one meal was too high the night before. It's all about what's going on NOW, your choices RIGHT NOW.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #7  
Lani Loves Lettuce!

S/C/G: 381/361/351

I think it's a great idea that you bring your own thing, bring a dish of something delicious and low cal that everyone will love. The families will probably be so touched that you've brought something and you wont have to mention the D-Word to anyone! (I'm putting on Christmas this year and I hope some people bring a dish, it will take the cost / pressure off me in a big way!) There are heaps of amzing recipes out there At least you'll know for sure that there will be something there that you can eat. Good luck!
Focused Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Take a healthy option. I see you're in Chicago so it's cold this time of year. Wander over the the recipe forum or the Weight Watchers forum for a good light soup recipe. That way you could keep a cup of something hot, low cal and yummy in your hand to sip on. Or get some good herbal teas, also to keep a cup of something hot, and yummy in your hand to keep your mouth busy. This time of year there a lots of super good holiday flavors of tea all over.

I do plan to have a few treats, but keeping it reasonable. The most important thing is to get right back on track the next day and don't worry if the scale is up a bit for a day or 2, there is usually lots of sodium in all those foods and you'll be hanging on to some water weight.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #9  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice and support. I just felt so overwhelmed last night. This is my first holiday ever being mindful of what I eat. I started calorie counting the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend so I don't have any resources to take away from that holiday.

I have decided I have to find a healthy dish to make. I am actually going to two different houses in Iowa from Chicago, so I can't really premake the food. I'll bring what I need, or have someone plan to buy some stuff for me so its ready when I get there. I just have to find a really good looking recipe! I am thinking a hearty veggie dish, roasted veggies or something.

I told my mom too and she is trying to eat healthy as well so I think she will bring the cereal and fruit that would not normally be there to help me out in the morning when Grandma is frying up bacon! My whole family are food addicts - no one is overweight really, but me - they just love to cook and always make amazing and unhealthy things, so it is hard.

I know fruit is not automatically low calorie but I will try to eat that instead of a cookie if I am craving something sweet and I am going to bring those Crystal Light packets to fill my water with so I can grab something to drink when I'm feeling stomach rumblings.

Nola - No one in the family is from Louisiana! We just love food, every year the aunts and uncles try to bring something more creative and unique than the year before - so crawfish it is this year! I totally cannot eat that Camembert, I will go off the deep end. It will never be enough. Maybe I can replace it with veggies and no cal/no fat dip (if that exists).

Thanks again everyone, I will definitely remember that just because one day might not be perfect, it doesn't mean I'm ruined. I think I was just more frustrated that all that temptation would be there, and all that food will be sitting around ALL day, waiting for me! But I will go in with a plan of attack and bring healthy options for me so I am not left feeling like I have to eat the bad food!
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

steinawine - yay for your good thinking ahead!! you will do great

Last night at the first party, I did okay. I went in with 600 calories left for the day. I had - 2 beers, 1 shot of tequila, 8 peanut-sauced meatballs, one 1-inch pig in blanket, one potato chip with onion dip, one cookie, and a one inch brownie. That is good compared to what I would have normally had but I will do better next party, which is this Friday. And this morning I had my usual 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/2 cup yogurt; and just finished a workout, and will drink extra water today to fight the sodium. Yay for us!

Last edited by VermontMom; 12-12-2010 at 09:18 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

If you are going to feel deprived by not having the tears then take some safe treats with you too. It seems a bit all or nothing to bring vegetables to avoid the cakes, sure bring veg for the bulk of your meal, but why not bake a few cookies or cakes from the healthy ranges? You can take or leave them, but at least if temptation comes knocking you have a 130 Cal treat, not a 500 or an "it's not fair" binge.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote