PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/201/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi All, I'm new.

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this subforum for a couple of weeks - you all are so lovely and helpful. I wanted to join the forum and hopefully get some moral support!

A bit about me: I'm a 28 year old, 2nd year law student. I've was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and have been trying to lose this incredibly persistent weight for about 10 years.

When I was diagnosed it was because I had been going to a medical weight loss center. Despite incredible calorie restriction and exercise, I didn't budge a pound - they were so confused, they sent me to an endocrinologist. I have tried *many* diet/exercise combinations and none have been sucessful. I'm on 2000mg of MetXR a day, which has not helped with the weight loss at all.

Back in November, I decided that I would do something different - not SB, not LC (both of which failed in the past), but essentially NO CARB. I know I'm getting some incidental carbs from green veggies and nuts, so I figured that's enough to do whatever carbs my body absolutely needs. And if I actually got to my goal weight, I'd add back some whole grains one at a time to see how my body reacts. The change was easy - will power has never been a problem for me. And I know that if this is what my body needs to be "right" then this is how I will live. I'm not a big eater anyway, so I already take vitimins everyday.

Well, I dropped about 13 pounds in the first 3.5 weeks!! I was deep in exam-prep at that point, so I wasn't even going to the gym! I couldn't believe it! I'm trying so hard not to get my heart set on this being the solution. It's just that *everything* has failed so far. Well, now about a week has past - still on the WOE strong, and I've stopped losing.

I'm in exams right now, so I've got absolutely no time to exercise, but when the semester is over in a week, I'll get back to the gym as usual. I'm hoping with all my heart that I'll get back to losing.

What do ya'll think? Could this be my answer, or does the fact that I stopped losing after 3 or so weeks mean that this is another fail? I won't give up on this until I know it's a lost cause.

Thank you for your support and advice!

kcnc
kcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!

Keep in mind that weight loss is like a healing process.... don't give up after just 3 weeks. Your body needs to do what it needs to do.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I've lost 5 lbs in 2010! Trust me, I know all about slow weight loss.

The key is not only the weight loss, but that you're changing your eating and exercise habits so you're healthier over all, managing your glucose intolerance, if you have it, managing your hormones, and all of that.

I read on the board that Metformin isn't about losing weight, it's about managing your blood sugar, which is good for your PCOS management.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/201/135

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for your replies! I guess I need to remember to be patient. Thinking of weightloss as healing is a fantastic way to look at it!

You know, I spent 10 years thinking of my extra weight as some sort of failure on my part. I'm so hard headed...I felt/feel like this has been one of the only things that I have truly not been able to defeat. Even though I found out a few years ago about my PCOS, it is still *so difficult* removing the weight from my feelings of self worth. I actually have to take out the blood test showing the extra androgens every once in a while to remind myself that this is real. And I'm not a failure.

I'll try to lighten up on myself a bit and continue with the no-carbing until I can get back in the gym and see where that takes me.

Thanks, ladies
kcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

PS: When I was on Metformin it did not cause weight loss in me. It stopped any further weight gain. Which was fine -- I didn't want more piling on!

You are not a failure. You are dealing with an endocrine problem as best you can. Failing is only when you totally quit trying. It's ok if you need to reassess periodically or take time to learn something new. A pause in the process is not quitting the whole process. It's merely a pause.

Even on long road trips we stop the car to use the bathroom, stretch legs, etc.

I'm looking at 100 lb here... I def am going to need some pit stops along the way!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-08-2010 at 10:45 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote