South Beach Diet - Completing a Successful and Clean Phase 1

Mirabai7
12-06-2010, 11:21 AM
As a therapist, I am trained in a type of trauma work called EMDR. The first phase of doing EMDR is helping the client establish what is called a "calm, safe place". A place in their minds where they can go and feel calm and safe. Most clients do this right away....but for some, simply establishing a calm safe place in their minds becomes the shorter term goal of therapy.

I say this because it reminds me of the fact that for me, simply completing a clean Phase 1 of South Beach has become my short term goal....forget about losing 25 pounds...let's see if I can do a clean two weeks.

So here I am, Day 1, Phase 1, Take II!!!!

Good morning, all.

:-)

lazylioness
12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Good Luck! I am sure that you can totally do it. The first few days are a bit rough for some people (including myself) but after that it is SUPER easy.

Sometimes you just have to take it a day, an hour at a time.

TallandThin
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Mira, it was the same for me. It was important for me to complete a clean phase one which laid the foundation to then go forward. Good luck, I am hoping you make it.

Mirabai7
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks so much. I may have to completely sequester! hahah

WaistingTime
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I used to tell myself that I could do anything for two weeks. But for me, PH1 is always hard. But so worth it.

oddreee
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Mira, I'm right there with you! Phase 1, day 1. My mouth is watering thinking about the salad that's waiting for me....Never thought I'd feel this way about a salad.

LifeisPrecious
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Here's to a clean Phase 1 Take II :)

hope for recovery
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Congrats on your start! Keep up, you can do it and it works!

murphmitch
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Good luck! We know you can do it!

mom4yehoshua
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Im already at a point, 1.5 phase, where I am wanting to go back. This is my first time on a diet in 15 years and I love certain foods. I don't eat terrible overall, I have just had too many stresses, a mood disorder that I found out recently, and had my first and last baby over two years ago.

At the first five days, I was feeling great and mentally, doing great. I have slowly been going into another episode, seemingly a low. I feel and see like I can't can't do anything and that has influenced the way I act and think in terms of food. I have been controlling my choices despite my thoughts and urges, but I really want to stop this diet right now. I know this is just the BP talking, but gosh...am I ever going to have a break? :cry:

Frustrated Leslie

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Hang in there Leslie. It is good that you are recognizing your moods and taking that into consideration when assessing how you are doing. As someone told me a few posts up, sometimes you just have to take one day, even one hour at a time. Stay on the boards, even if you "relapse". You chose to go on this diet when you were in a rational state of mind. Don't decide to stop it until you believe you are also in that same rational mind, K?

We can do it!

zeffryn
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Sometimes the short term goals are the best kind to have. 25 lbs. or even a larger goal can seem daunting and can put a lot of people off track. 2 weeks isn't that long, and it may seem really hard, but you'll get the hang of it. it might take a few tries, but you'll do it!

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
good morning Zeff. Thank you for the encouragement.
I am walking/running a 5k on Sunday. My time has been 44 minutes. hee hee

zeffryn
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
good morning Zeff. Thank you for the encouragement.
I am walking/running a 5k on Sunday. My time has been 44 minutes. hee hee

You really have to start somewhere :) My first 5k time was over an hour - I wasn't last, but I wasn't far from it. I recently ran another one in 24 minutes. It has been a long road, but a satisfying one.

I offer my every encouragement to you. I've been at that phase 1 spot before where I just couldn't seem to get it to stick and I know how frustrating it can be. I promise you, that once you get over that initial hump, the rest of the road is relatively easy :) There is something about Phase 1 that is a mindset changer as well. It takes you from "can't do anything" to "look what i just accomplished! i can do ANYTHING!"

love seeing you around!

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Thank you my southern neighbor!

When are you running the Cajun Cup?

zeffryn
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
It was in November. I wanted to run it, but some family issues got in the way. Next year!

We camp in the Ozarks every year. Where are you?

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Fayetteville Arkansas....home of the Razorbacks!

zeffryn
12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Ah, we drive through Fayetteville every time we go visit my parents in Minnesota. If it wasn't the middle of the night, I would suggest coffee :)

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
It seems South Beach is harder than a diet, say, like Atkins where you simply eliminate nearly all carbs initially.

With South Beach I have to constantly think, ok, is this beef too high in fat, is this cheese too high, etc.

It almost makes me want to just do a 2 week Atkins Induction since it is so simple.

zeffryn
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
It seems hard at first, but I promise you that it becomes second nature. I don't even carry my lists with me anymore.

I pretty much have some simple rules that I follow: in regards to cheese, if it is soft, go reduced fat (unless it is a planned indulgence), if hard, go for the regular stuff but just don't use as much. The harder cheeses are lower in fat naturally, but have more flavor so you don't need as much in your dish.

I always get the leanest meat I can find - trimmed roasts and steaks, extra lean ground beef (7 or 4% fat), tenderloins (pork or beef), chicken breast or fish/shellfish.

I do need to measure and weigh, still, and I keep myself to 3-4 oz. of protein and then fill my plate with veggies.

It gets easier in phase 2, much easier.

Hang in there!

weezle
12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
AHHHHHHH no no no no no no NO no no! Mira! Look at me. LOOK. AT. ME. Donnnnnnn't do it. You're doing South Beach, right? To be healthy? This isn't about limiting carbs and it's not about easy. It's about training yourself to put the right things in your body for nourishment, yes? Heart-healthy, blood sugar-regulating, HEALTHY foods. That means high in fat = bad. If you have 0 carbs but clog your arteries full of crap, it may be easier, but you're gonna die of a heart attack. Me? Rather not die.

It's not a diet, it's a way of eating, not temporarily, but for the rest of your life. This may not be the right thing for you if you're just looking for a quick fix and a slim figure but don't care about what's going on inside your body. If you need help, we're here to encourage you, give you ideas, tips, recipes, etc.

Hey Zeff - LOVE the pic, firstly. Secondly, I'm that person that is discouraged by the big number, thus why I am focusing on mini-goals. Thanks for mentioning that! :D

Mirabai7
12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
HAHAHHAHHA.... oh weezle, indeed!

OK...YES...I care about what goes in my body. In fact, I am allergic....highly allergic....to all processed foods. As in, I can have ZERO. The only reason I had that weird peanut butter the other day is because I was on the run and it had found it's way into the office pantry.

I am an all organic zero processed foods kinda girl. Otherwise I break out in horrible hives.

I guess I am just getting way impatient as in will I ever get on the right plan and make it work...today I had sour cream with my breakfast frittata and then was like Damn, that was a mistake.

I appreciate you all so much. I had coffee late in the day and I think it not only weirded me out but caused cravings.

Ok, Ok. South Beach it is and y'all please know I have some A.D.D. tendencies and it is hard to stay focused on just one thing.

Love you guys. Already, and really. This IS hard!

weezle
12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
THAT'S my girl! I knew you'd come around ;) You'll get it girlfriend, it just takes time! :D

Mirabai7
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
And so I would like to invite you all to a very exciting and riveting journal experience of completing a Successful and Clean Phase 1, take THREE.

Welcome.

ugh.

weezle
12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Girl if I had a nickel for every time I fell off the wagon, I wouldn't need to eat healthy things because I could just buy new organs every time one failed.

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TallandThin
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Mira, the important thing is that you are not giving up! Keep fighting girl, I know you can do this.