Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:03 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default Clothing..

I've been looking at a lot of the personal sites that chunky spice suggested...
I've noticed in some of the photos that people are wearing the same clothes in different shots. ie. same shirt in starting photos and 25 lbs lost photo.

I am wearing mostly the same clothes now too... I've lost just over 25 lbs. Were my clothes just that tight??? or do I look like a slob now?

I have to buy a new winter jacket. I've been going with out for 4 years now.. couple of reasons:
1/ I don't want it big next year when I lose all my weight... how many of us used that excuse to look sloppy for years.
2/ I already had enough fat to keep me warm.
3/ I was too lazy to go outside and need a jacket

so what do I buy now? I want to get something good - a columbia xl doesn't fit - (looks like a size M to me!) I play outside with my almost 3 year old.

When you buy clothes do you cheap out because you are losing weight? or do you spend the money because you deserve it and you should always look your best?

Dana
Old 11-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Dana - Usually, I just don't buy them. Hubby finally sent me out to buy some clothes this year. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE clothes and I LOVE shopping. But it is so discouraging when everything has to be so huge to not look like a sausage. I did spend some money on a winter coat and a dress coat last year. And I am glad to have them this year.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I don't know if you have a Wilson's Leather Store way out there but I bought the most adorable coat there. It's black leather and all lined. Incredibly warm (I bought it before I moved to California, of course) They have plus-sizes and lay-away!

My thought on clothes is this:
Buy the size you are.
Throw out or alter any clothes that have gotten too big ASAP.

Because:
Self-esteem is a big key to my weight loss. I don't feel confident in clothes that are too small OR too big. If I feel good, I'll try harder to work out and eat right.

If not having an awesome winter coat hinders you from going outside and exercising than I see no better reason to spend a pretty penny and buy it.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:40 PM   #4  

Good, good, good topic!

Okay...here is the thing:

I need to look my best at all times, self esteem is alot, Jessica was right.

But I pinch pennies all the time, nomatter what. No, I don't have as many clothes as I would if I was at goal. I do hold back ALOT.

But I don't think I would be spending $100 on a pair of pants just because they were the "right" size. I still cringe when paying more than $40 for a pair of jeans.

Does that make any sense? LOL

I say..go and buy yourself a few things as you lose weight. Just to get by and feel good as your going down in sizes. Just don't go broke doing it.

Yeah, go a lil cheaper as you are moving through sizes. But..don't make yourself go without.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:54 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

you guys are making a lot of sense... I need to find balance.
Maybe I should look at a consignment shop.
I find myself spending more on my hair and shoes for this reason then clothes.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:21 PM   #6  

Yes..go check out some consignment shops. It will be fun too! You need some new clothes as you go down in sizes. Just a few items will make a difference. And now..the sales will begin in the stores.

You want to SEE the losses.
You want to SEE your body.
You want to SEE the differences.

You need to Dana. Just a few items. It will give you a little push. Trust me. Don't go nuts. Just a few items will make a difference.

Old 11-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #7  

Good question, Dana, and one I've been talking to myself about a lot lately. I do not like to shop for clothing. Trying on in stores is tough for me (physical reasons).

However, I have bought one or two new things and have moved down a size and still had one or two things left from previous time at weight. This weekend for two days in a row, I wore the things that fit better. Today I put on slacks and shirt that are too big. They really do make me look heavier. Both are relatively new and I hate not wearing them. But I think it's time to go for more.

I'll buy basic stuff (like I bought a pair of navy slacks last week - on a good sale). I'll buy a pair of black. I don't work so I can wear what I want around home. I would like to buy (and have been looking for unsuccessfully so far) a nice pant suit for the holidays. I had put off buying new coats for a long time (because of course I was going to lose weight) but last year ended up with two and one from the year before. They're big but it's not as obvious as it is with other clothes. Other sweatshirts, jean type clothes etc. are ok, large but in a way that makes me feel smaller. But dress clothes (you know, the ones you don't get enough wear from anyway) are just getting way too baggie.

I had mentioned months back about giving some slacks, etc. to sister who's lost 50 lbs on WW this year. Maybe I'd better tell her I'll need them back. Hehe. Not really as they're the kind of thing I can still wear big.

But I think it's time I bite the bullet. I won't be spending big money on anything and I always shop sales. So by sticking to basics for a while, I don't think it will be a real major expenditure. I'd usually buy something each season anyway.

So that's this season. Fortunately, I think I have lots of stuff to wear in the spring (from earlier years) if I can just keep losing moderately.

I DID spring for some smaller underpants! Bras are not too big yet but do feel more comfortable.

Thanks for making me think it through and setting out a plan.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:03 PM   #8  
Losing Again!

I try to balance what I buy. When I first found Tommy Hilfiger pants that fit, I went nuts, I have 3 pairs of jeans, a pair of khaki carpenters and a pair of khaki capris. They are comfortable, look good and I feel great wearing them.

The other side of this coin is that my shirts are usually super sales from department stores or cute stuff from shopko/walmart/target.

I would be much better off if I weren't into labels, and I'm generally not, but the last designer jeans I had were Z Cavarici's, when I was a jr in high school (they were men's by the way, had to be hemmed so much the legs were baggy at the bottom, very big no-no in the early 90's)
Old 11-13-2002, 08:12 AM   #9  

I agree, consignment stores and second-hand stores are great! You just have to have the time to look around. I've got three great sweaters recently for a total of less than $20. I'll bet you could find a suitable coat at a place like that. Coats can be so expensive, depending on what kind you want. Just make sure you get one that fits! I spent $100 on a cool coat on eBay (last winter? the one before?) and at the time it was just a little small, so I didn't feel comfortable wearing it -- Now it fits nicely and is SO warm!

You can also find decent things discount stores like Walmart, but again you sometimes have to really look -- I've gotten some great things on sale at Walmart. I had been wanting a pair of red (not bright red) pants, and yesterday I found some red stretch jeans at Walmart for about $15 ... cool thing was they were in the "regular" size department (XL, but regular nonetheless!)

Of course, I think even if I were a size 8 I would be hunting for bargains. I guess the bottom line is that it is important to look nice -- looking like a slob can definitely bring you down, and swimming around in your old fat clothes can look slobby! But you also don't want to go hog wild and put yourself into debt, especially when you're going to be shrinking more and have to buy more clothes in a few months!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 11-13-2002, 09:24 AM   #10  

I won't even attempt to go shopping, unless I have lots of time on my hands. It takes time to be a bargain shopper.

But alot of fun when your successful.

Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #11  

Great topic!

I think that you definately need to buy clothes that fit, not too many like someone said, but just the basics. I, too was wearing the same clothes that I wore 25 pounds ago (and still wear some of them on occasion, but because I live in AZ, but because of the time of year I can't find shorts at a decent price). However, when I broke down and bought some new clothes that actually fit, I do feel better about myself. I have more self esteem, which helps keep me on plan. Plus, I get tons of compliments on my weight loss when I'm wearing clothes that actually fit!
I don't spend a lot of money on clothes for myself right now. I am definately a bargain hunter, but have splurged on a few items that I know make me look good. I just bought a $70 dress for a Christmas party, but it was a size 14 (mis-sized, I think) and I looked good in it. Anyway, I found myself feeling very good in the dressing room, because I never thought I would fit into a 14 anything again. I never would have picked it up for myself, but the sales lady brought it to me. So, the moral of the story is, if you wear clothing that fits well, rather than too big, you feel good about yourself and others will notice!
Closed Thread