Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What is for dinner TONIGHT??

View Full Version : What is for dinner TONIGHT??

Martina
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I figured this could be ongoing. I hope there is not another thread like this.

Anyway-- what is for dinner tonight?

12/5/2010 I had baked lemon pepper chicken, boiled yellow squash, and a tomato salad with bell peppers, onions, and carrots with a tiny bit of garlic and parmesan cheese.

What did you have?

punkrprincessa
12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Tonight will be a salmon patty (Trader Joe's frozen) grilled, pn 45 calorie bread, with lettuce, tomato, onion and pineapple salsa, with asparagus and carrots! Also a salad with apples, and onion!

Martina
12-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Tonight will be a salmon patty (Trader Joe's frozen) grilled, pn 45 calorie bread, with lettuce, tomato, onion and pineapple salsa, with asparagus and carrots! Also a salad with apples, and onion!

sounds good!! Do you ever make your own salmon patties? I have and make my Mom's recipe and they are delicious, but I've never had a salmon patty that was frozen (and never been to a Trader Joe's, and none are here). They must be tasty though!

HadEnough
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I had a grilled chicken breast on a "skinny bun" with spinach and onion and a little dab of bbq sauce and mashed cauliflower (with FF cream cheese, a little butter and garlic herb laughing cow). OMG, it was delish!

HadEnough
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Martina,

Share you recipe for the salmon patties would you please? Thanks!

punkrprincessa
12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
The patties dont have anything added, just frozen salmon in patty form :) good and quick though and 80 calories each (says the nutrition facts, 90 cals or so by weight!)

azmom
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I had a chicken breast with a roated sweet potato and peas an sauteed zucchini...delicious and filling!

Martina
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Martina,

Share you recipe for the salmon patties would you please? Thanks!

Sure!! They are not the healthiest things in the world but they are mighty tasty!! Though-- anyone who sees the recipe for the first time thinks they'd taste weird or bad, but then they try them and the like them.

Keep in mind I don't use any set amount, so you kind of have to play it by ear.

canned salmon
saltine crackers
eggs (I usually use one per can unless they are really large eggs, then you can use less)
onions, chopped
spices to taste
flour (optional)

Drain the cans of salmon, and then add the eggs, onions and spices. Then you take the crackers a little bit at a time, and crumble them up into small pieces. Stir the mixture, adding more crackers until the salmon has lost some of its "wetness" and will stick together in a patty form. If it helps you can either add some flour in the mixture or dip the formed patties in flour. Then you fry them in a pan (with no oil-- or at most some cooking spray) like you would hamburger patties.

The patties dont have anything added, just frozen salmon in patty form :) good and quick though and 80 calories each (says the nutrition facts, 90 cals or so by weight!)

yeah, definitely healthier than my Mom's recipe!

bacilli
12-06-2010, 06:35 AM
My dinner from last night was so good, I think I'll repeat it tonight. I had roasted brussels spouts, broccoli, and mushrooms.

steinanwine
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Whats for dinner tonight? Turkey Chili! Want to share a great recipe from the wonderful blog skinnytaste.com ... Made exactly as the recipe said (minus some chicken broth because it was too soupy and not chili-esque with so much broth) & I calculated the points in the whole pot and divided by 9 servings as the recipe suggests and I get the same point count as the chef! 3 points (old WW plan) for 1 and 1/4 cup!

Chock full of beans and turkey. I used my own seasoning mix instead of taco packet to cut down on the sodium. Plus I have great dried chili powders on hand that I doubt are in a packet of store bought seasoning.

I'm not adding any cheese & not eating with any chips but will add 1 T of fat free sour cream at only 20 calories for the indulging creamy flavor!

Just about to dig in, can't wait!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/turkey-chili-taco-soup.html

DezziePS
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Something I've been making a lot is fajitas- corn tortillas (45 cal each), grilled chicken breast (On my george foreman) marinated in jalapeno juice from the jar of jalapenos and a little taco seasoning, with mango salsa- chopped mangoes, onions, cilantro. YUM! Usually served with veggie soup (chicken broth, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, whatever is about to go bad, seasonings)

Also been making hotdog sandwiches- turkey hotdog (60 cal) on 100 cal hamburger bun, with slice of FF or 2 percent milk cheese, mustard, and a little smear of hotdog chili sauce (10 cal/Tbsp!) with a little green salad with FF Italian dressing. Easy, cheap, not crazy healthy, but feels indulgent and is low cal!

Jelma
09-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I am making fajitas tonight with leftover steak from last night's dinner. Steak, red & green peppers, onion on corn tortillas. I also bought a huge avocado which I am not sure what I am going to use it for, maybe gucamole or a black bean salad.

Last night's dinner was awesome - about 3-4 oz of grilled skirt steak, 3/4 cup brown basmati rice, fried okra & a tomato salad with feta, kalamata, garlic, onion, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

liliesinmycereal
09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm think of having tomatoes stuffed with pesto and mozzarella or tomatoes stuffed with tuna taco meat, cheese, a little green salad mix and greek yogurt.

Munchy
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Tonight is brown rice, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and chicken in a "bake." Homemade freezer meals during the week :)

Esofia
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Stir-fried onion, mushrooms, red pepper, baby corn, tofu and a few cashews in black bean sauce (leftover from the batch I made last night), and brown jasmine rice. I have lots of fresh ginger to use up, so far Eastern food is probably going to be a theme for this week.

Aishah
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Everyone's dinners sound so good!
Tonight I'm making:
1/2 cup cooked broccoli (Pam, lite morton salt)
1/2 cup cooked mushrooms (pam, lite morton salt)
1/4 cup cooked brown rice (2 tsp lite margarine)
4 oz fresh scallops cooked or 5 oz fresh shrimp cooked. Haven't decided between the two yet.

Jelma
09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Tonight I have pilates so I am just having the steak fajita leftovers with refried beans and gucamole.

I bought bananas yesterday and I am waiting for them to fully ripen for my second attempt at banana bread. The weather is rainy and overcast here, a perfect excuse to bake! This time I am substituting agave for the sugar, we'll see how it goes.

steinanwine
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Tonight is a big serving of mashed cauliflower!
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/creamy-cauliflower-puree.html

I've made this recipe before and its so good and satisfying - it easily replaces a craving for mashed potatoes.

I am roasting the cauliflower first (rather than steaming or boiling for added flavor) before blending with fat free sour cream (since I don't have buttermilk). Add a little packet or homemade gravy if you want, or a little spray butter & pepper. Either way, DELICIOUS. I'll make this my main dish and maybe something else on the side? Tonight it's all about the guiltless mashed cauliflower!

Esofia
09-12-2011, 04:24 PM
1 courgette, 1 red onion, sautéed in olive oil with plenty of black pepper and served on wholewheat fusilli pasta.

DietVet
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Tonight I'm making a deconstructed puttanesca with a chicken breast instead of pasta.
I have all these lovely grape and cherry tomatoes from the market which I'm going to halve and then briefly simmer with garlic, anchovies, kalamata olives and capers. I think I'll finish the chicken in the sauce so that it absorbs some of the spicy, salty, garlicky goodness. YUM!

Jelma
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I am roasting the cauliflower first (rather than steaming or boiling for added flavor) before blending with fat free sour cream (since I don't have buttermilk).

This sounds delish! I love the Skinny Taste blog, every recipe looks soooo good.

I have a bunch of cilantro and 1/2 an avocado that I need to use so I am thinking probably some kind of Mexican bean dish, maybe salsa or a veggie seven layer pie.

carriemise
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Tonight my guy cooked shrimp with sautéed spinach, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts. Yup!

April Snow
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
chinese beef and broccoli - homemade and healthy!

indiblue
09-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I made dal for the first time last night. I live in India and had a craving for dal, so I just made it. I've seen other people make it several times so I just winged it. It turned out pretty good!

Indian food- dal, sauteed veggies- are a GREAT way to spice up boring lentils, beans, and vegetables. The spices used are just so different from the ones in the US. If you are bored with cauliflower, carrots, beans, okra, lentils, or beans, try to do them Indian style!

Indian food is actually really healthy as long as you cut back on the cream and oil. :)

liliesinmycereal
09-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I had broccoli slaw with salsa, shredded low sodium and fat parmesean cheese, and a dollop of plain greek yogurt. I call it healthy taco salad. All that was missing was some hot tuna with a dash of taco seasoning.

lili8184
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
crock pot chicken thighs (skinless) cooked in Classico pasta sauce, white wine, onion & garlic- served on no yolk egg noodles (only because I like them- it would probably be good on any grain- brown rice, wheat pasta...) its a recipe I found online somewhere, hoping it turns out good!

Jelma
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Indian food is actually really healthy as long as you cut back on the cream and oil. :)

I love, love, love Indian food. We are lucky to have a number a really great restaurants in my neighborhood.

Tonight I am going to make channa masala (chickpea curry) with Indian style potatoes & cauliflower and brown basmati rice. Hopefully I will have enough leftover for lunch Wednesday as well.

cuppycake
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Im making "Hold onto your Taco, It's Soup!" Yes, thats what I named it. Basically its a mexican inspired soup with mexican squash, hamburger meat,
great northern beans, and green chili's, v8 juice base and spices. I wasnt sure what to make. Its really cold and rainy today here in Colorado. So I went with soup.

ChickieChicks
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Dinner is always a spin-off of what my hubby and kids are eating. They had grilled chicken, sides and asparagus. So I had:

1 cup grilled chicken cubes
1.5-2 c. spinach leaves
1 stalk celery, big chunks
1 small roma tomato, diced
1 oz. basil & tomato feta chesese, crumbed
very small shakes of olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Plus asparagus on the side!

DietVet
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm short on time for cooking tonight, so I'm having corn on the cob, flat iron steak and about 3 cups of arugula to soak up the steak juices. DELICIOUS way to consume 400 calories!

Jelma
09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Last night we had steak enchiladas with green pepper, onion, and a couple small mashed up potatoes topped with fresh jalapeno & red onion served over leaf lettuce with gucamole and sour cream, it was delicious.

Tonight is my workout night and the bf goes out with the guys so usually I have a large salad with whatever is leftover in the fridge. Though thinking about a BLT since I cooked some turkey bacon last night and have a wonderfully fresh tomato and leaf lettuce from the farmer's market on Tuesday.

indiblue
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Shredded red cabbage and cucumber salad with Asian dressing (rice wine vinegar + fish sauce + lemon + brown sugar + brown sugar)

Soy "meatballs" and veggies in a tomato-masala Indian-style sauce. (With just onions, a dash of oil, and lots of spices)

K9Owner
09-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Santa Fe Chicken Wrap
{Inspired by Chili’s Restaurant}
4 oz Grilled Chicken Breast
½ c Shoepeg Corn
½ c Reduced Sodium Black Beans
1/8 c FF Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 T Chef’s Finest Tri Color Tortilla Strips
30 g Fresh Avocado
½ c Shredded Lettuce (Romaine)
2 T Light Southwestern Ranch Dressing
2 T Light Sour Cream
1 Mission Artisan Flaxseed and Blue Corn Blend Wrap

doopdoop
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Tofu in satay peanut sauce w/carrots, onions, and green peppers. Mmmmmmm.

bronzeager
09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Grilled vegetable stack. (It's supposed to be a grilled vegetable sandwich, but usually it gets too tall.) Today it's portobello mushroom, eggplant, zucchini, some leftover grilled chicken, topped with some grated parmesan cheese. A piece of whole wheat toast somewhere towards the bottom, and some arugula on the side that was not enough to make a whole salad.

Jelma
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Last night my bf and I actually cooked together which, I think, has happened about 3 times in the past 6 years we have been dating! He made turkey sausage gravy with skim milk, I made buttermilk biscuits and scrambled eggs with fresh chives and a splash of buttermilk. I had never made biscuits and they turned out pretty darn good, next time I would like to use at least half ww flour. The buttermilk in the eggs made them so velvety. I love breakfast for dinner.

Tonight my friend and I are going out to a local diner for dinner. Their menu isn't available online so I am not sure what healthy options are available, if any.

fatbottomed girl
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Tonight we're keeping it simple: turkey & swiss wraps chockablock with veggies & homemade potato soup. Yum!

Jelma
09-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Cauliflower risotto & a simple green salad. Having a friend over so there will also probably some wine drinking :)

steinanwine
09-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Last night my bf and I actually cooked together which, I think, has happened about 3 times in the past 6 years we have been dating! He made turkey sausage gravy with skim milk, I made buttermilk biscuits and scrambled eggs with fresh chives and a splash of buttermilk. I had never made biscuits and they turned out pretty darn good, next time I would like to use at least half ww flour. The buttermilk in the eggs made them so velvety. I love breakfast for dinner.

Tonight my friend and I are going out to a local diner for dinner. Their menu isn't available online so I am not sure what healthy options are available, if any.

I LOVE biscuits and gravy!!! How did you make the biscuits "healthy" ? I would LOVE your recipe for bisc & gravy if you don't mind sharing. :carrot: If I could make that dish relatively healthy it would be a nice treat every once in a while if I've been good and healthy :D

And oh man! Cauliflower Risotto - that sounds amazing. I've just started experimenting with cauliflower and using it as an alternative to mashed potatoes.

Jelma
09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
I LOVE biscuits and gravy!!! How did you make the biscuits "healthy" ? I would LOVE your recipe for bisc & gravy if you don't mind sharing. :carrot: If I could make that dish relatively healthy it would be a nice treat every once in a while if I've been good and healthy :D

And oh man! Cauliflower Risotto - that sounds amazing. I've just started experimenting with cauliflower and using it as an alternative to mashed potatoes.

I wouldn't say the biscuits were all that healthy ;) I am not sure about the gravy since my boyfriend made it. I am pretty sure he just browned the turkey sausage added flour and skim milk. I'll ask him the actual amounts and let you know.

Here is the recipe I used, next time I am going to use half whole wheat flour and see how that works and maybe cut back on the butter.

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons butter, frozen
1 cup buttermilk

yields about 8 biscuits

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl. Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture with a cheese grater; stir lightly 1 or 2 times to mix. With your fingers, make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, and pour the buttermilk into the well. With just the tips of your fingers, stir lightly and quickly to just bring the dough together before the butter and lard melt. Dough will be sticky.
3. Scrape dough out onto a floured surface, and gently pat the dough flat. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour, and fold it in half; pat down, fold again, and repeat until you have folded the dough 4 or 5 times. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a square about 1 inch thick. Cut the biscuit dough into rounds with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or the floured edge of a drinking glass by pushing straight down (do not twist) Lay the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet so the edges just touch.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until risen and lightly golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.

Adapted from recipe found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gregs-southern-biscuits/detail.aspx

I haven't tried cauliflower mashed "potatoes" yet. I did try a cauliflower "alfredo" sauce I found on this forum, somewhere, but I wasn't the biggest fan. The recipe I based the risotto on is here, I made some minor changes http://www.kitchenparade.com/2007/10/cauliflower-risotto.php It is a great website and she gives the WW points, both the old ones and the PP ones.

steinanwine
09-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Thank you so much Jelma!! I really appreciate it! Maybe my mom (who is an amazing baker) will know how to increase the healthiness of the biscuits - I think whole wheat flour is a good place to start!

Definitely going to try to make them & the cauliflower risotto soon - I need to start experimenting in the kitchen!

And the cauliflower mash is really good by the way & SO easy - you can either steam it and pulverize it in a blender or with an immersion blender (and then add Fat Free Sour Cream (only 20 cal/serving) instead of buttermilk which I have seen some recipes call for - I think I started with about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the sour cream, start small and add more for desired creaminess) or you can roast the cauliflower and then pulverize - this definitely changes the flavor, gives it a stronger, nuttier flavor. Add a little spray butter if you like, even gravy (although I worry about the sodium in packet gravies) & a bit of salt and pepper, maybe some chives or a sprinkle of cheese and I swear to god it's just as good as regular mash! And you can eat a BIG portion of it! Yum!

Thanks again!

Kittenmancer
10-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Tonight I'm making some grilled Greek chicken breasts (http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-greek-chicken-breasts-288061) with chickpeas and spinach (http://www.food.com/recipe/chickpeas-with-spinach-greek-81968) as a side dish.

GobabyGoGO
11-10-2011, 11:34 PM
tonight I am making grilled cheese on this amazing garlic sourdough with onion , roasted red peppers, and sauteed zucchini and a bit of fruit I am not sure what kind though

fatmom
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I made Turkey burgers and Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges, it was delicious!

Serval87
11-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Last night I had a deli-meat chicken sandwich with extra sharp white cheddar cheese and red onion slices, and instead of having chips with it I had sliced carrots dipped in Greek yogurt. Not fancy, but definitely tasty.

I'm hoping for a bean burrito tonight. :)

Jelma
11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Last night was a baked potato with butter and sour cream with a simple salad with homemade buttermilk dressing. I have never made my own buttermilk dressing, it was delish! Here's the recipe if anyone is interested-

1/2 lowfat mayo
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried dill (i think this about the amount I used, I just added until it looked about right)
fresh chives, maybe 4-5 stems, or whatever you call them
salt and pepper to taste

mix all the ingredients together and chill for at least an hour. It is thick, like a dip, so add more buttermilk if you want to thin it.

servings - 16 or so as written, more if more buttermilk added

I am sure you could use fat free mayo and sour cream instead.

Tonight I think a will do another salad and maybe some homemade potato skins.

SweetPeach3388
11-15-2011, 07:34 PM
So excited for tonight's dinner--Tuesdays I indulge a little because I have 11 hour day at school. So I'm having Marinated "Fit" Steak Tips, Green Beans, and maybe a mini Purple Potato (w/ only cajun spices-no butter, etc.)

patchworkpenguin
11-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Hubby made dinner. I'm not quite sure what it was {chicken, peppers, onions+ } but it was really good!

Munchy
11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Tonight is homemade chicken pot pie :)

RockemSockem
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
So excited for tonight's dinner--Tuesdays I indulge a little because I have 11 hour day at school. So I'm having Marinated "Fit" Steak Tips, Green Beans, and maybe a mini Purple Potato (w/ only cajun spices-no butter, etc.)

I had to look this up to see what a Purple Potato was, it's exactly what it sounds like lol I've never seen that before.

I'm having meatloaf, broccoli and mashed potatoes.

popspry
11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I had meatloaf last night actually. My first time making it!

GobabyGoGO
11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
for a treat I am having chicken, bacon, mushroom on capellini with white wine sauce not the healthiest but it is one of my favorites that I can make with leftovers and I have not had it in months

Jelma
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I am making 2 mini pizzas, one with a white sauce with mozz, kalatama, red onions and feta the other with a red sauce with mozz, turkey pepperoni and jalapenos.

I buy a pre made crust from my local Kroger - Mama Mary's. 170 calories and 5 fat grams for 1/2 the 7in crust. Not too bad. They are cheaper than Boboli and I like them better. I think they make a whole wheat one but I have yet to see it.

SweetPeach3388
11-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I had Trader Joe's Garden Veggie Lasagna (290 cal, 9g fat) and a piece of Whole Wheat Naan with a teaspoon of garlic olive oil and a tablespoon of grated parmesan. This was high calorie overall, but I took a nap this afternoon and didn't eat lunch (oops). So I am still well below my calorie limit for the day.

Munchy
11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Tonight will be homemade dal (made with added cauliflower) and rice.

SweetPeach3388
11-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Yay for Tuesdays and my steak tip night! Oh, the small pleasures.

AnnieDrews
11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone! I didn't have to cook a turkey for T-giving, but I did buy a smoked turkey, heated it and protioned into freezer bags for meals later.

Tonight I am doing the smoked turkey chopped up in Healthy Req. Cr. of Chicken soup w/ half 2% milk & half water, maybe some poultry seasoning and some frozen peas. Serving it over reduced fat biscuits, A La King style. Yum!

Munchy
11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Homemade split pea soup

flourless
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
What's-in-the-fridge salad, mid-rare roast beef, fresh-grated horseradish and romanesco. Maybe some roasted sweet potato salad, too.

popspry
11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
tofu-black bean tacos and a cauliflower-broccoli gratin

RHay
12-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Salad with no dressing (just lemon and pepper), whole wheat pasta and homemade tomato sauce, and a low-calorie cocktail (voli vodka/belvedere and diet tonic water with lots of lime...only once in awhile treat!). bought all at sam's club :)

beth4365
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm having hm... well.. I call it taco salad...

A HUGGGGGEEEEE plate of romain lettuce, topped with 1/2 can of jalapeno refried beans... some salsa verdi on top of that.. a bunch of green onions sliced on top... a sprinkle of 2% cheese and one serving of lime tortilla chips...

Takes forever to eat and I am completely satisfied when I'm finished.

Evas
12-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Tonight I had chicken marinated with fresh rosemary, lemon, salt & pepper. I grilled it up and then served it over a bed of garlic sauteed kale. It was an AWESOME meal!!!

tdiprincess
12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Tonight I had a baked potato with light butter, salt, garlic powder and a bit of rosemary. I also had the leftover chicken "marsala" I made the other night. I have to say that it tasted better the other day, but it was still tasty!
I finished it off with a small piece of banana bread. :D

beth4365
12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Tonight will be an egg white omelette cooked with fresh sliced mushrooms, jalapenos, onions and mushrooms... with a side of Roses Canadian Bacon and a slice of high fiber toast sprayed with a little fake butter and grilled to perfection...

Yum!!!

stan255
01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Thai green curry ! :D

Gabbah
01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
1.5 kg of chicken with various spices, basmati rice, veggies.

arizonaskye
02-01-2012, 06:25 AM
My dinner wasn't too exciting! A baked potato and french cut green beans.

Kitcherella
02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Fish soup with salmon and a bit of squid with carrots, celery, red pepper, a bit of potato to thicken it, onions and garlic, so good for the freezing cold here.