Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/314/200

Height: 6-3

Default My Points Plus allotment can't be right

Soooo.....I just joined Weight Watchers for men a few days before the switch to Points Plus. And I simply can't believe my allotment is correct. I weighed in at 319 at the start. My original point allotment was 47 points per day (which actually seemed like a lot at the time). Then the Point Plus change kicked in, and now it is 67 per day. Does that jump seem right? It seems out of whack. I even went through and had it calculated a second time, because I thought it had to be wrong. And it came back the same...67. Am I crazy to think that sounds high?

Also...since I just started, what are the experiences of people on WW in terms of their daily allotment? Do you shoot to come in well under the point total? I instinctively try to land somewhere in the high 50s, even though my allotment is 67. Has anyone tried to do something like this, and if so, how did it turn out for you?
DroppingPounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

You cant really compare the old plan and new plan like apples to apples. More like apples to oranges, lol. I am a breastfeeding mom with 30 lbs to lose to get to the high end of my weight range and I formerly got 36 dailies but now get 47 points+ so with the stats you listed that sounds reasonable if previously you got a high number of points. I know that it sounds like a lot but really, it is to give you safe sustainable losses.
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

Some of things that increase points are male gender, being tall, and higher weight. You could get the calculation double checked again but I'm not sure that it is wrong. I know that the highest it can be is 71 so 67 doesn't seem out of line given your original points.

The intent of the Daily Points it that you eat all of them in order to get adequate nutrition and not be deprived. I never set out to eat less than my Daily points. There are times when I don't quite make it if I'm sick or just get full.

My understanding of the WW position is that you should eat your daily points, all of them. That said, they are a target and if you eat to satisfaction then it is not a big deal to be short a little bit.

So if your daily points are 67 and you occasionally eat 65 then that is not a big deal.

If your daily points are 67 and you habitually eat 55 then that can be a problem. They worry about you not getting enough good nutrition and losing weight safely and don't want you ending up feeling deprived which doesn't work out long term.

If you are getting 67 points you will find them moving down fairly rapidly and it won't be long before you are getting much less.

Now, eating Activity Points and Weekly Points is entirely optional.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

I actually received opposite information from what Koshka wrote. If it makes you feel any better, our leader told us as long as you are SATISFIED at the end of the day, if you have daily Points+ leftover, it's OK and won't hurt your weight loss! Kinda neat It shouldn't be all the time, but even if you only eat 65 out of 67 every day that's OK! She said studies have shown you will still see results. She did however say that maybe you should look at changing out your meals by adding more protein. This usually helps add Points+, and will help you feel full. Plus, it's good for you especially if you're exercising!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/214/150

Height: 5'4"

You gotta remember that this is an entirely new program. You have to let go and forget everything you know about the old one. 67 points a day may seem high to you when you are comparing the old and new. But points are calculated differently than they used to be. Just follow this one and don't think about the old one and you will be fine!
candyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 319/314/200

Height: 6-3

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the tips and support. It must be working right...I have followed it for the first week and felt very satisfied each day, and the results showed at the end of my first week's weigh-in: 5 pounds lost. One little step that feels really good.

I must say, the Points Plus program has been enjoyable so far. For the most part, I don't really feel like I am denying myself anything. I have cut out all fast food and soda (two major crutches over the last few years), but I'm still eating a lot of foods I enjoy...wheat pasta, chicken, popcorn, clementines, peanut butter granola bars...I'm happy with it so far. And I think it is even helping me to enjoy the healthier foods far more than I ever did when I was inhaling junk food.

Thanks again for all the insight! And good luck with your journey!
DroppingPounds is offline   Reply With Quote