Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Christmas A MYTH Billboard

Some people really go out of their way to express their feelings....

Something tells me these folks need to take an anger management class

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/fa...d7ea45f51.html
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #2  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Well-- there are all sorts of billboards by Christian groups floating around out there-- here in this small North Carolina area, you have tons of them, telling me what a sinner I am for being of a different faith. So how is this any different? I guess I don't see the big deal. People are entitled to put up any faith-based or non-faith based billboards of their choosing.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I saw this yesterday. The catholics and atheists are definitely taking their argument to the streets. I was surprised by BOTH the Billboards.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Well-- there are all sorts of billboards by Christian groups floating around out there-- here in this small North Carolina area, you have tons of them, telling me what a sinner I am for being of a different faith. So how is this any different? I guess I don't see the big deal. People are entitled to put up any faith-based or non-faith based billboards of their choosing.
I never said they weren't entitled to put up the billboard. I never said it was the same or different about any other billboard either.

I did say it appears they are angry about something though....based on the remarks in the story.

Here in southern California we don't usually see billboards on religion...but as far as sinners go....we all fall into that category
Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #5  
little by little

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I never said they weren't entitled to put up the billboard. I never said it was the same or different about any other billboard either.

I did say it appears they are angry about something though....based on the remarks in the story.

Here in southern California we don't usually see billboards on religion...but as far as sinners go....we all fall into that category

I never said you said that. And I did not react to the "anger management" comment. Religion makes many different types of people of many different faiths--or lack of faith-- angry though; so many people feel their side is "right" when to me, all religions are right. Most people don't understand me when I say that, but that is how I feel.

But yeah, here in North Carolina-- not in the cities, but in this little small country bible belt area-- there are tons of billboards like that, and as I said in the other thread (the one about Christmas in this forum) people of other faiths that are not Christian are either run off or beaten up, which is why (as I said in the other thread) I stay quiet about my beliefs (except to the people that I love) and practice my faith in my own home. And there are no people of any other faith here in this area, at least not out in the open.

Last edited by Martina; 12-04-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I don't understand the rage against religion (I'm speaking about the article). Believe, don't believe. There's no need to be vicious.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

MARTINA I apologize for misunderstanding

I have never driven through the area you are talking about so I am not aware of the billboards. As a I said, here in southern California, religious billboards are rare so I have little experience on the billboards.....sounds like I'm the lucky one

However, I can tell you I am aware that Christians can be mean-nasty people sometimes!

In a perfect world all Christians would remember God's House is not an "invitation only" club.....ALL are welcomed to join......

I can see how actions of some would not create interest in you to join the party.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wonder if the people railing against Christmas will accept the day off with pay from work.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #9  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

There is a similiar group here in the DFW area that have bought ad space on several of the city buses. As offended as one of the other posters is to have christain themed billboards, ect. around, I am offended at these buses. I PERSONALLY strongly feel that is an affront to the Living God. I think the more appropiate thing to do would be to not have any group advertise. The city of Dallas refused this same group, not on the grounds that they are atheists, but rather on their policy for not allowing any groups of any faith (or non faiths) to advertise.

Last edited by islandchick1; 12-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #10  
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I wonder if the people railing against Christmas will accept the day off with pay from work.
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I love the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So in America we have the right to believe, to not believe and to say what we think. It is a very precious right that most of the world does not have. It makes me thankful.

Billboards overall are a bit of an eyesore, though.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Going back to my original post, I want all to know I am not against billboards advertising anything, as long as it isn't offensive to children I suppose.

I am all for free speech and rights for all faiths as long as actions don't harm others.

The following is about a billboard I saw on the news this morning...

cracks me up that people can predict the exact day Jesus will return....

yet they can't predict when they will have to go potty next

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...111282959.html
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

No one knows when he will return Luke 12:40.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #14  
little by little

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
MARTINA I apologize for misunderstanding

I have never driven through the area you are talking about so I am not aware of the billboards. As a I said, here in southern California, religious billboards are rare so I have little experience on the billboards.....sounds like I'm the lucky one

However, I can tell you I am aware that Christians can be mean-nasty people sometimes!

In a perfect world all Christians would remember God's House is not an "invitation only" club.....ALL are welcomed to join......

I can see how actions of some would not create interest in you to join the party.

no issues!!! (((HUGS)))
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #15  
Native Texan

So here's an interesting update in my neck of the woods. In response to the atheists bus campaign here, several local business' have hired the same amount of rolling billboard (billboard on wheels - not sure if ya'll have those where you are at) to follow each of the buses. The rolling billboards say something to the effect of "I still love you - God." The ad also states that 2.1 billion people are good WITH God.

Last edited by islandchick1; 12-07-2010 at 11:57 PM.