South Beach Diet - Free Friday!

View Full Version : Free Friday!

BellaLucia
12-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Plans are back on to move to California early next year! I've given this lots of thought. I'm thankful for all of you all and your support!

BelovedK
12-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Where in CA? I lived in San Francisco for a year, it was a great place. Expensive, but great.

I had to rise at 3:30 because I was keeping my DH up with my coughing. I am thinking about throwing in the towel because I have been soo off plan due to this illness throwing me for a loop. I have developed aversions to eggs, and the other staple meals I used to count on when I was OP. I am so frustrated :(

Will I ever get well? I am usually so healthy, and even fight off illnesses before they get me, but this has thrown me.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail... which is what is happening to me.

annieoh
12-03-2010, 06:44 AM
A brief morning on the forums for me: I'm headed off for a day of CPE (taxes) and have to leave in just a moment. Put off this morning's exercise - plan is to do it tomorrow, and tomorrow's on Sunday, and make this my day of rest this week.

May we all be the Little Engine That Could today... I THINK I can, I THINK I can, I THINK I can... I *know* I can! :)

Lexxiss
12-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

I'm up getting some chores done and have my first skiing planned for this afternoon...after I get home from the pool. I'm going to get all my gear out then see if I can get another hour of rest.

Okie, thanks for getting us started this morning. A big move is quite challenging but you can do it.

BelovedK, I think it's really hard to plan when you're so sick. Just keep striving to get well. It seems these winter illnesses really take their time. You will be able to find your groove as soon as you start feeling better.

Annie, have a great day and thanks for checking in.

Have a great day everyone.

Ruthxxx
12-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Quick good morning. How on earth did we get to Friday?

This morning we have 41 Grade Three students coming to the Mill and Museum for tours, crafts, cornshelling and then BBQ hot dogs. I need to scurry around and get tables and supplies organized.

TGIF!

cottagebythesea
12-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Good morning, all you busy Early Chicks! Does anyone have time to sit and enjoy a coffee with me? :coffee:

Actually, I've been up a while, too. I have the first load in the washer, paid some bills, and did some filing already. :p As soon as the phone place opens, I have to go down there and have them explain and straighten out my phone bill, which is all screwed up. :( NOT looking forward to that! :( Afterwards, I'm going to pick up my mother and we're heading to King of Prussia for lunch and shopping. :)

Heidi58
12-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Good Morning friends! :hug:

Okie, I love your posts, you're always so enthusiastic! I hope you have a great day today.

Beloved, I'm so sorry that you can't shake that coughing. I wish I lived closer, you could use a little "mothering" right now - someone to fix you a cup of hot tea and/or a few easy meals to just heat up when you're ready for them. *hug* Do you like stews and soups? I had a cold/bronchitis that just wouldn't quit last winter and my crock pot saved me. I'd pour in a carton of chicken stock and dump some frozen veggies in and leave it on low all day. When I felt like eating it was there, if I didn't feel like eating at meal time it waited for me, and there was always plenty left over to take for school lunches and/or to warm up quickly in the microwave when I felt lousy and wanted to comfort myself with food.

Annie, that's a great sentiment for today. "I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can..."

Debbie, I'm envious (but happy for you)! Enjoy your skiing today!

Ruth, YOU deal with the school kids today - I'm hanging out with adults. :p I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Linda, I have some great memories of the King of Prussia mall. My daughter was very interested in Eastern College and we visited 3 times for scholarship interviews. Our hotel was so close to the mall that we spent every evening over there - eating and shopping, but mostly people watching! :rofl: Have a great time with your Mom today.

I didn't eat A SINGLE THING at the SDE conference yesterday! :) There was no fruit this year, just pastries and coffee, so I stuck to my on plan snacks. Then the lunch looked so delicious but sooooo very off plan that I left and hit the grocery store instead. They had a salad bar so I was able to make a 'just the way I like it' salad and bought that and a bottle of my fav dressing and ate in the car while I listened to the radio. I even had time to walk afterward. I'm planning on bringing a lunch with me today, I stopped at the grocery store last night and picked up a few things.

Cyndi, do you know of Betty Jo Evers? She's the speaker I went to the conference to work with. She and I have the same philosophy on 'at risk kindergartners', and I got soooo much out of her sessions yesterday. I can't wait to hear more today.

Have a great day friends! :wave:

CyndiM
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Good morning :coffee2: I actually slept until the coffee maker started at 6am. Of course I was up for a long while in the middle of the night. Gotta love this whole perimenopause thing. Apparently my body thinks that anytime I wake up it should stay awake. Good thing there is coffee.

Okie - I find big changes like that both exciting and intimidating. Good luck with your decision :)

Beloved - Focus on getting well first and do as little damage as you can foodwise. Once you're back on your feet just hop back on 100%. Do you have some soups made that you can grab whenever you want them? When I was sick I made clear broth with veggies, dal, and a white bean soup. That's about all I ate for a few days. Maybe having a warm and easy to prep food would help?

Annie - you can! Have a good day

Debbie - Happy skiing. I'm still trying to get clarity on my NM schedule. I'll let you know exactly where I'll be each day as soon as I know. Hope you can still make it.

Cottage - Enjoy your unexpected day off. What a nice time of year to get an extra day.

Today is an upside down day. I'm off to Burlington (I will wave Ruth!) this afternoon for a late day meeting and a mandatory team dinner. Someone from the national union will be in town (apparently the person who approves our funding) so there was no getting around this one. I'll do a little work at home this morning and then get on the road. Hope it's not a late night because I'm off to Boston to see DD and attend the Nutcracker tomorrow!

Food choices where a challenge yesterday but I did not give-in to off plan foods. My lunch wasn't great but it was acceptable. Glad I had something to go to in the car! I have to remember that every day.

Time for more coffee. Happy Friday friends

ETA - Where did you come from Heidi?! Wow, great choices at that conference. I don't know the presenter, will have to go look her up now.

cottagebythesea
12-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Heidi ~ You are so awesome for staying strong and resisting all those temptations yesterday! Good for you! :carrot: Hang on to that feeling of conquest to get you through today! You'll have to come visit me one day so we can do the mall together. :)

Where's Natasha this morning?

WaistingTime
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Good Friday Morning lovely ladies. (And any lurking lovely men.)

Okie - Exciting! Have you lived there before?

Beloved :hug: I hope you feel better soon. How about a big pot of OP soup?

Annie - Love that story. My son just put it in a college essay this week too.

Debbie - Have fun and don't fall off any chairlifts!

Ruth - I know - time is spiraling faster and faster by!

Linda - I do:) Tea at my end. Isn't this Natasha's weekend already?

Heidi - I knew you would rock that conference:carrot:

Cyndi - I think I'm doing the peri-menopause thing with you. And having pre-hot flashes... warm flashes. Good job on the eating.

I have the house to myself today. Also, exercise to myself, since hubby is gone all day. I think I will head out this afternoon and try to get some serious stocking stuffer shopping done. That always requires lots of store strolling. And I will practice my knitting. I figured out my dear neighbor is not a great teacher and actually showed me the wrong way to do some things! I am coming along but it looks very messy; it will be a lot more practice before I try anything like a scarf.

rdw1
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Good Morning Ladies! I made it here before work! Its a miracle!

Beloved- :hug: I hope that you feel better soon. Do what you have to that helps you get well, then get right back with it! :) I know its probably hard to stomach but lots of colorful veggies are wonderful for illness....

Annie- you just reminded me I have to get gym clothes! drats!

No more time for all the personals, a quick scan and I am out!

WTG, Heidi!!!

Well, off to find my gym clothes so I can stick to my workouts this month!!!! And hopefully get a massage today!

Hope you ladies have a great OP day!!!

sophie
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
good morning,

FO - have a good on plan day, California sounds good

BelovedK - you just have to get better soon, Christmas is around the corner.

Annie - Yes, you can.

Debbie - have fun skiing, just jump right in and enjoy winter.

Cottage - I've been to King of Prussia, its huge.

Heidi - you are an inspiration what will power. You deserve every lb you lose.

Ruth - 41 Grade 3 kids, ugh.

Cyndi - have a safe drive to Burlington, Your so close to the border. We often go to Costco there on our way home. I usually buy those big blocks of Cabot cheese.

Karen - now that you have sort of seen knitting visually, maybe you can find yourself a good beginner's book. I showed my daughter how to knit and then she bought a book and has been doing quite well.

Rikki - hope your massage works out.

me - is this insomnia catchy? I was thru with sleeping at 5:30 but like Debbie I am enjoying my time alone. Well, all my gifts have been mailed and now I am planning on just a couple of baking items. No big deal this year as I felt that we celebrated for a whole month while grandson and DD were here. I'm down a bit this morning but decided to only change my ticker every 5lbs.

take care
Sophie

weezle
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
RIP Ronnie Santo :cry:

Well it's not the best day so far. Found out Ron Santo died, then found out due to the results of our foundation inspection (also not good,) we can't refinance the house and just wasted a ton of money on inspections and appraisals. Ouch. I'm doing better than Chris is, emotionally. He's NOT happy. :mad: Gonna be a pleasant weekend.....

Otherwise I'm doing ok. Another OP day yesterday and I've set some long-term goals (I will put in my signature so I remember) and it makes me feel a bit better about my journey. For some reason I always get it in my head that I need to lose the weight RIGHT NOW and then I get discouraged and then I fall off the wagon and then I :moo: out again.

So my goals are:

4 lbs (129) by Dec 31
8 lbs (125) by Jan 31
18 lbs (115) by Easter (Apr 24)

Argh gotta get back to work. Hope everyone's having a fabulous day!!!

Lisa :D

Mirabai7
12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Lisa, sorry you are having a buzzkill of a day.

What I want to know is how does it feel to have lost 27 pounds?! WOW!!!! How long did that take you?

TallandThin
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
OMG - Shouting from the rooftops! I now have less than 100 lbs to lose! :cheer: What a great feeling!

Okie, I've lived in Calif most of my life and can't imagine living anywhere else. Hope it works out for you.

Beloved, darn it anyway. I know you are trying so hard. Wish the bad germs would just leave you alone. Try and hang in there girl and do the best you can.

Annie, I know I can too!

Debbie, I've never been skiing but it looks like I would have liked it.

Ruth, sounds like fun. Wish I could be there to help and enjoy the kids.

Linda, enjoy your day shopping. You deserve it after having to deal with the phone company.

Heidi, I'm so proud of you for not caving to the goodies yesterday. Knew you could do it.

Cyndi, good food choices in the situation you were in. Hope you took good on plan snacks today too.

Karen, keep practicing on that knitting. It won't be long before you will be working on the scarf.

rdw, good for you sticking to your workouts.

Lisa, sorry about your bad news. Good goal planning. It helps me too.

Nat, where are you? miss seeing your post.

Well, I'm off for my walk. I'm now able to walk four times longer than when I first started and my legs aren't hurting as much. After that need to run out to the groc store and do a few errands. I'm also crocheting a few Christmas gifts so may work on them this afternoon or evening and of course there are gifts waiting to be wrapped.

Later

Mirabai7
12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Tall and Thin WOOHOO!!!!!!!! That must feel wonderful!!!! Congratulations!!!

weezle
12-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Mira, it feels pretty good, but it felt better when I'd lost 47 lbs ;) But after finding out that it IS possible for me to gain 20 lbs in 1 year, I'm never doing that again. I can check it off my list of things to do in life....... lol

It took me about 5 years to lose 47 lbs and keep it off (until I lost my mind.) I strayed a lot over those 5 years though. I believe I had my first 27 lbs lost in under 2 years. Others have had better results because they haven't fallen off the wagon as much as I have, or tried other things. South Beach is the ONLY way that I actually lose the weight, feel better, sleep better, etc.

You can do it girl :)

BelovedK
12-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Good morning everyone :)

I am going to have to make this quick as the codeine cough syrup is kicking in :p Thank god I got some. My DR called it in for me.

I called my clients and am staying home today. I need the money, but am really too tired to go on today. Thank you all for wishing me well (again)

I think an OP soup in the crock pot sounds like a great idea. I will need to go to the grocery store, and I am starting to feel a bit codeine-ish, so I may see what I have around the house. Too tired to chop veggies. Maybe I'll pull out my Pampered Chef contraptions that make cooking easier. I always forget about them (the mandoline, and chopper) I know I have garlic and onions, and I have mushrooms and zuchinni, and if I had coconut milk (light) and some curry paste/powder, and some veggie stock snd hmmm, maybe crushed tomatoes?

Does that sound gross? or good?

I don't know if I have the energy to make it though. I wish I could have a 3FC SBD potluck at my house with hot tea and a blanket.

xo

mom4yehoshua
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello ladies, Im new.

Sorry Im not online with yall, Im not a morning person, but hello and goodmorning and good afternoon. :) I made a booboo on phase one last night, I think. I posted a thread on some questions I have concerning that and others, if interested. I feel good and not hungry often. LOL Very shaky in my mind about the diet, to be honest. I feel like I am laboring for nothing, just in these five days. Even though two days ago I felt happy about it. Go figure. LOL
I know it will be harder for me though than some, as I suffer from a mood disorder (BPD), which messes with my needs and sense of food choices. I really hope you all are able to help me along in keeping up with this. I definitely am not going to be able to do this alone, long term.

Presently, I am eating my favorite veggie, the artichoke for lunch...so filling, as I like to dip in mayo. I don't use but a 2 tbsp amt. I don't even use it all, I love the taste of the leaves.

Beloved, I will pray for you to get better soon. (((hug)))

WaistingTime
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Help! Has anyone tried freezing the mock cornbread casserole? I made it for the first time today and would love to put some away for later. Apologies for asking here but my question got lost in the recipe thread.

weezle
12-03-2010, 05:34 PM
:welcome: Mom! Don't be sorry! We're happy to have you! Don't feel like this is for nothing girl. It's definitely worth it. Hard to see at first but you'll notice results. Plus, you're not even though your first week of Ph1! SBD isn't a quick-fix. It's a lifestyle change, a way of eating. We didn't gain it all overnight, so it's not all going to come off overnight either.

From what I saw in your other post, it's good that you're trying to be healthy when eating out, but that low-carb burger.... oy! 570 cal, 43g fat, 19g saturated fat, 120 mg cholesterol, 1460 mg sodium. It was a VERY good try, but I'm gonna say not the best choice there. A better choice would have been the grilled chicken salad, minus the cheese (not low-fat) and croutons.

Why don't you post a sample menu of what you're eating for us to take a look at and tweak if necessary? Also, it is important to get your snacks, just to keep that blood sugar steady so you don't get hungry later and overeat when your blood sugar drops. Are you getting 8-10 glasses of water a day? What about veggies, are you getting all your servings?

Let us help you! That's what we're here for :D And don't be discouraged. I'm willing to guess if you're feeling less bloated than prior to starting Ph1 and you haven't weighed yourself, you're probably down some!

Lisa

mom4yehoshua
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Lisa, thank you for your welcoming banner there, LOL. Very colorful. Also for your encouragement and advice.

As for an example menu: (based on day five in book)

Today,

BKFST: 6-8oz veggie juice (no sugar added, 2eggs with some green onion, sliver of green pepper, sprays of nonfat, non cal parkay, two mushrooms, and 1oz mild cheddar lf cheese. Also, I love my coffee...one cup with nonsugar nondairy creamer.

Snack: 2 honey ham roll ups without the pepper, just onion and the dip (which I modified with avacado and green onion) I know, I know, but I had no choice, outside of more chicken or roast beef deli...don't have many choices as said before...at least for this week). I used only a little of the ham on both rollups.

Lunch: 1 artichoke (the whole thing with some mayo to dip) I used up only a tbsp from what I saw.
1/2 cup (visually) of spinach leaves and 1 small portion of the wing from a roasted chicken. All of the white meat is gone from the darn chicken! ROFL It was easily only 1/4 cup of meat at most. It was just to get some protien and fat in the meal outside of the little bit of mayo. 6oz of veggie juice (to absorb the iron in the spinach).

Snack: 1/2yellow crookneck squashand 1/4zuchinni cut up into slices and dipped in roasted red pepper hummus.

Dinner: 2 chicken tenderloin pieces, 2 left over broiled tomatoes, 1-2 cups of left over chef salad (mostly veggies really), homemade balsamic vinegarette. If I must, I might have some left over broccli...if still hungry.

Dessert: Almond cottage cheese creme (alternative to ricatta)

Let me know what you think. Im doing the best I can with what I have to follow the book...I love veggies and can eat them all day...as long as I have salty flavors somewhere along side them. Im not much of a sugar fan, except in my coffee LOL. Sugar free is doing well for taste for me.
Must say, the creme thing for dessert is awesome! I use 15 almonds for that...if thats alright.

BelovedK
12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
mom4yehoshua, thank you for the prayers :)

cassrose
12-03-2010, 06:32 PM
mom4yehoshua welcome :-)
Im on day 14 of phase one and its changed me, my eating habits and cravings are so different and i have lost weight. I feel great. Have to say i am REALLY looking forward to phase to now. Don't feel bad with a little slip up, just jump back on. I had a few lollies yesterday and was a bit worried afterwards but then decided it was only once and i shouldn't let it bother me :-)

Saturday morning here and im very happy not to have to go to work today. Off to buy a new dress for a friends wedding, should be fun :-)

Have a great day all

mom4yehoshua
12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you cassrose! Have fun shopping. :)

cottagebythesea
12-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi and :welcome2:, mom4yehoshua! Your menu looks pretty good, but remember that you don't have to limit your vegetable amounts. We're supposed to be getting at least 4 1/2 cups a day, and I often get a lot more than that. Try to include some legumes (beans) in your daily menu, too, and don't forget your dairy!

Karen ~ I've tried to freeze the mock cornbread, but it tends to get mushy for me. Maybe others have had luck with it, though.

Natasha1534
12-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey ladies...I'm here!!! :) You guys are so sweet...thanks for thinking about me!!! :) Got off work this morning and decided to take my normal gym time and use it to snuggle w/ my dog and mom instead. Got up around noon and got dressed and then hit the ground running. Took Shadow to Petsmart and got her groomed, stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up a new digital scale (it was $19.99 and I had a $5 coupon...sweet!!!), went and ordered my new uniforms for SWAT, ate lunch at Olive Garden w/ mom (soup and salad...NO BREADSTICKS), stopped by CVS to get some hair color (for mom, not me), went to Wal-mart to pick up some dog food, and then came back and picked up Shadow and took her for a walk. Now I'm catching up here and watching Bones. I need to get started cleaning out the closets in my room so Jersey will have somewhere to hang her clothes when we get her moved in Sunday.

Okie - Wow...moving to Cali, huh??? I've never even been there...I'd like to go one day. Good luck w/ the move...hope it all goes smoothly!!!

Beloved - Sounds like you need a good kick in the butt, girl. :kickbutt: That better??? ;) I know you're frustrated right now and I completely get it...but you know how far you've come and how good you've felt BEFORE you got sick, right??? ;) Maybe DH could run up to the store for you and pick up some frozen mixed veggies. Might be too late to help you out tonight, but it could come in handy tomorrow. ;) I've never tried a coconut milk based soup, but they always LOOK yummy. Hope you were able to come up w/ something!!! ;) A 3FC potluck sounds like fun...has it ever been discussed??? Not specifically a potluck, but just a meet-up??? That would be fun!!!

annieoh - I've got to make up my exercise from yesterday this weekend as well. Luckily I'm helping a friend move and I'm pretty sure that will count as exercise, LOL

Lexxiss - What an odd combination of exercise for the day...swimming then skiing, LOL!!! Sounds like fun, though. I've never gone skiing and have this horrible feeling that I would break my leg the first time I tried, LOL

Ruth - Eeek, 3 1/2 dozen 8 year olds??? That's enough to send me running to the emergency exit!!! LOL Hope you had a good day!!!

Cottage - Good gracious, girl...all that done before 0630 hrs!?!?!? You are awesome!!! Hope you were able to straighten out your phone bill w/ minimal confusion. ;)

Heidi - Good job staying on-plan like that...proud of you, girl!!!

Cyndi - Good for you for not giving in...proud of you, too!!! You ladies are awesome...seeing how you're doing really helps me in staying on plan as well. Enjoy the Nutcracker tomorrow!!! I've got to order my tickets tonight, but we'll be going Wednesday night. It'll be me, my mom, my niece, and 2 of my friends.

WaistingTime - I can crochet but I can't knit...and I can't START a crocheted blanket on my own, someone else has to do it. So I think even being shown wrong, you're several steps ahead of me, LOL Hope you found lots and lots of stocking stuffers today!!! As for the mock cornbread casserole, I've only made the cornbread from it and I didn't freeze it. Sorry I couldn't help you on that one. :( I don't have the recipe in front of me, but that's the one w/ cabbage and ground beef or something like that, right??? I would think the water in the cabbage would make it tricky to freeze, but I could be wrong.

rdw - Hope you got your massage in. Ooh, that sounds heavenly!!!

sophie - I envy you having all your gifts bought and mailed...that's awesome!!! I think we're only doing for my niece and nephew this year...and all they want is cash, LOL

weezle - Sorry your day is craptacular...hope it's gotten better by now!!! It can be easy to get discouraged in this weight loss journey. I get frustrated that I'm not losing as fast as I was in the beginning...then I hit myself upside the head and say "you goober, you've lost 91 pounds in less than a year...what MORE do you want from your body!?!?!?" It'll happen...you just have to let it, right??? ;) And I'm w/ you...SB is the ONLY thing that has worked for me.

Tallandthin - Wow...that's awesome. Congratulations!!! Great progress w/ your walking, too. Good luck getting your crocheting done...I still need to get to work on those pillows I'm making, LOL

mom4yehoshua - Welcome!!! :) I'm not a morning person either...my normal bedtime is 0700 hrs. I haven't checked your other thread, but I know the ladies here are really good about stepping in and answering questions when they come up, so I'm sure you've already got some good advice by now. ;) Don't let the little booboos hold you back...just push through them and keep going. I promise you, you WILL see results from this plan...it's the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me.

cassrose - Congratulations on moving on to Phase II tomorrow. You made it through the hard part, girl...you're home free now!!! ;) Isn't it great how much better you feel on SB??? I gotta admit, I was skeptical in the beginning, but I am a believer now. I feel better, I've lost a lot of weight, my skin is softer...just EVERYTHING is so much better. A year ago if I had walked the 8 miles we did last week at the GA game I would've been laid up for a couple of days and I would've had to go see the chiropractor to get me all straightened up. I was sore the next day, but nothing like it would've been before...THAT was one of my big "A HA" moments, for sure, LOL

Alright ladies...hope you are all having a GREAT day. Tomorrow I've got the Christmas parade at 1000 hrs and then I'll run a few errands before I have to leave out for the airport around 1600 hrs. I doubt I'll make it on tomorrow. I'll be back from Orlando on Sunday...see you ladies then!!!

rdw1
12-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Hey ladies- only a 10 minute tease of a massage, but I am promising to get myself one either tomorrow or Monday! I am in need but what I got did help :)

ALSO---------> I WENT TO THE GYM! Whahoooo! I am kickin butt and taking names, birthday party tomorrow so I will have to be super good and behave but I believe I can do it! Calories were low today, trying to cycle them just a bit, but no particular order- just want to keep my body guessing but 1-2 higher(1600) days and between 1000-1200 the rest, going to see how that works out... anywho- I am thinking tomorrow will be a high calorie one, going to eat normal but add a couple glasses of wine at the party... then soda water with lime for me!

I hope I can get up early again in the morning and check in with ya ladies! Thanks for all your support!

TallandThin
12-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Good job Rikki for going to the gym :cheer: I knew you would do it! Don't get too wild tomorrow at the birthday party. Just keep remembering how hard you are working toward your goal.

BellaLucia
12-04-2010, 12:55 AM
I've lived in Cali. before. The doc's appt. went well. I had a pap smear, it hurt a bit.