Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/Ticker/147

Height: 5'-2"

Default Plateau Already?

I started calorie counting November 1st. I was 167 the first three lbs came off within the first week and half, however since then I have been losing and gaining the same 1lb and its starting to get frustrating.

I have a pretty intensive workout program. Its only 4 days a week but its an hour to hour and half each time. I work with a personal trainer on strength and conditioning 2 days a week and cicrcuit training the others. Its a great workout and I am noticing my clothes fitting better, I have lost an inch off my waist, chest and hips already! So I am happy about that. So I know my body is changing, but the scale is refusing to!

I guess I'm wondering if I should stick with what I am doing or increase my calories or try calorie cycling to get through this.

I am each 1300 calories on non workout days and 1500 on workout days. The extra 200 calories is in the form of a protien shake or protien bar. Is that enough? I know everyones different just looking for some opinions and advice from those who have gone through this!

Thanks!!
skigirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I diet for weight loss and I exercise for my health. A great benefit to the exercise (strength training in particular) is lost inches!! But, it has a tendency to make the scale stick. I am ok with this because I do not wear my weight on my forehead. People are going to start saying, "Gee, have you lost weight" even if you don't technically lose a pound?

I'd be willing to bet you are stuck because of the exercise. My best advice is to get used to that and hang on tight. Any time your muscles are sore you could be storing as much as two pounds of water for muscle repair. Also, when we diet without exercise, as much as 40% of what we lose could be muscle loss and not fat loss. I exercise to lose as little muscle as I can. I may lose slow, but I can be fairly certain most of what I lose is fat.

KStick with it. You're doing exactly what you need to! Just be ware that the scale may not move quickly. It is just a tool.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote